PDA

View Full Version : I finally beat the Grim Reaper

JON9000
01-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Castlevania I always perplexed me. I didn't have the necessary patience to run the gauntlet of Axe Knights and Medusa Heads and then fighting Death with about half my life left. Well, I've gone back to the old school NES lately for fun, and I finally got him.

It's really all about timing your throws with the boomerang as you trek down the hallway and then hoping you can fill the air with enough boomerangs to take out all the scythes in Death's room. You sort of hope the boomerangs also hit Death at some point.

I wasn't able to beat Dracula, though.

Kidhuman
01-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Congrats Jon, Dracula is only a few days away, you will get him.

figrin bran
01-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Beating Dracula was one of the most memorable moments of my childhood gaming career!

beware JON, you have to fight the Count twice if i recall.

decadentdave
01-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Bill & Ted did it with a game of Twister. :D

Lord Malakite
01-11-2007, 12:42 AM
You can't go wrong with holy water on Dracula's second form.

figrin bran
01-11-2007, 01:47 AM
if i recall, holy water is also essential for Frankenstein and Igor especially since it keeps Igor from jumping all over the place to attack you.

El Chuxter
01-11-2007, 09:35 AM
I understand Rogue II finally beat Bizarro the Grin Reaper.

Rogue II
01-11-2007, 11:42 AM
I understand Rogue II finally beat Bizarro the Grin Reaper.

I may not have played much Castlevania, but mentioning something about El Chuxter's mother and a Holiday Inn Express seems appropriate.

Droid
01-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Castlevania was a hard game I never beat. Frankenstein was the farthest I ever got.

JON9000
01-11-2007, 05:16 PM
I did manage to get to Dracula's second form. But he went like this, and I went like this, and I got stomped pretty quickly!

scruffziller
01-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Wow, I think I am gonna go on ebay and see if I can find that. I only played the Castlevania 1 once at my cousins house. Played alot of Pt. 2 and beat it of course. Oh the memories.:love:

JON9000
01-15-2007, 10:58 AM
I have discovered a strategy for defeating the Grim Reaper that is not on gamefaqs. All those guys say is to throw a bunch of crosses. That's a nice idea, but the real difficulty is getting to the fiend with enough life after going down that blasted hallway.

So, I realized that if you forego getting the meat before going up to said hallway, you can get down the hall, get the double or triple shot, go back down the way you came (which should be a cinch with the double or triple shot cross), go back downstairs, fill your life meter with the meat, go back up, and then take on the GR.

I still can't beat Drac.

mabudonicus
01-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Man, I don't remember the game being that hard, I'm gonna have to DL an emulator maybe and give it a spin :ducks:Isobaws&

JON9000
01-16-2007, 05:26 PM
I beat 2 and 3 no problem. 1 is a completely different ball of wax, for me, anyway. Regardless, after I pimp-slap Drac, I'm moving on to another bitty... ghosts 'n' goblins!

Lord Malakite
01-17-2007, 01:34 AM
Man, I don't remember the game being that hard, I'm gonna have to DL an emulator maybe and give it a spin :ducks:Isobaws&

Unlike Castlevania III or Castlevania II, what makes the original Castlevania hard in my opinion is the lack of a save feature. The entire game has to be completed in one sitting.

mabudonicus
01-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Good luck JON9000 :beard:
LM- Right, that could be what I'm forgetting- I could swear I beat the game, but I may have thought I beat it after playing it so long and giving up not beaing able to finish off the last guys...
I'll report back once I've figured this business out :mebs:Isobaws&

scruffziller
01-17-2007, 08:41 AM
what makes the original Castlevania hard in my opinion is the lack of a save feature. The entire game has to be completed in one sitting.

I wonder if the good 'ol Game Genie will help me with that?

Droid
01-17-2007, 10:12 AM
I beat Ghosts and Goblins using codes, but it is impossible to beat without cheats.

Lord Malakite
01-18-2007, 11:23 PM
I wonder if the good 'ol Game Genie will help me with that?

Probably, but where is the fun in doing that.:p

Emulating on the computer isn't much better. That just offers more temptations, like save states, sped up framerate, and extra game genie codes (beyond the normal three at a time it can usually do).

JON9000
01-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Y'all are a bunch of punks with emulators and Game Genies! Try doing things the old fashioned way!

Lord Malakite
01-20-2007, 02:14 AM
Y'all are a bunch of punks with emulators and Game Genies! Try doing things the old fashioned way!
You tell them JON. :thumbsup:

jjreason
01-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Hey! There are honest Emulator users out there as well you jokers!!!! :p

I still haven't moved my NESticle over to this PC yet, but this thread is making me want to do that.

QLD
02-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Oh boy. I spent many days in high school trying to beat the Grim Reaper. It took me about a year, before I FINALLY beat him, and I recall using the boomerang to do so. Dracula was hard, but not as hard as the Reaper to me. I was very proud of myself for beating that game. The Reaper is probably one of the toughest bosses in video game history if you ask me.

El Chuxter
11-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Someone should somehow hack all the Castlevania games so that you're playing as Jek Porkins holding Ponda Baba's hand.

Lord Malakite
11-05-2007, 01:40 AM
Someone should somehow hack all the Castlevania games so that you're playing as Jek Porkins holding Ponda Baba's hand.
Its always possible in the future. The same people responsible for the Jek & Ponda game already hacked Castlevania II: Simon's Quest once so you could fight a priest and a crucified Jesus. :D