PDA

View Full Version : I can only keep 1 of each

bountyfool
01-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a loose completist and I need help...

The time has come to narrow down my collection a bit and I'm looking for opinions on which release of each figure/outfit below you think is best. I can only keep one of each type for space reasons and I'm having a hard time deciding. A good case can be made for each from 1995 to present based on sculpt, accessories, etc. I'm also including Power FX / beast packs / cinema scenes / battle packs / games, etc in this. Which one figure best represents each one? I'm keeping all of the different Stormtroopers, Jawas, Raiders, Pilots, Drivers, etc for troop building. Also, I'm only looking at Episodes IV - VI right now.

Luke Tatooine
Luke Stormie
Luke X-Wing
Luke Bespin
Luke Jedi
Luke Dagobah
Luke Ceremonial
Luke Hoth

Han Cantina
Han Stormie
Han Hoth

Leia in white robe
Leia Hoth
Leia Bespin
Leia Celebration
Leia Endor Celebration

C-3PO

R2-D2

Boba Fett

Vader

Chewie

Ben Kenobi

Emperor Palpatine

Yoda

Thanks for any opinions you have!!

JediTricks
01-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Luke Tatooine - I'd go with the TSC one, the rehash with the new head and Obi-Wan's trunk, it's not a hunched-over freak with a weird face and an awful outfit like the VOTC version.

Luke Stormie - No worthy entries, pick randomly.

Luke X-Wing - Tough call, but I'd go with the VTSC one because of the better range of motion. The POTJ one has the more accurate headsculpt and outfit, but only standard-six articulation.

Luke Bespin - OTC version for now, but hopefully the upcoming V3AC (Vintage-style 30th Anniversary Collection) version will save us from this thing.

Luke Jedi - TSC Luke Endor, it's a rehash that corrects the weak knees of the OTC version, has a cupped gloved hand instead of an open flesh hand, and has removable Endor gear.

Luke Dagobah - OTC version is vastly superior, plus comes with extra hands, head, and a base for the handstand.

Luke Ceremonial - The Princess Leia Collection version, the jacket looks decent and is removable and has a normal stance (the POTF2 basic version is sculpted to balance bowing which makes it difficult to stand upright) so I'd go with that until the 3AC version comes out.

Luke Hoth - Saga version, just nifty all around, though the bloodied face might be a turnoff so the repaint in the TSC Commemorative Tin set might be your bet.

Han Cantina - VOTC version, it's a little awkward but the POTF2 version isn't up to modern sculpting quality.

Han Stormie - Again, nothing to point to.

Han Hoth - brown coat Saga version, not the ultimate but far superior to the earlier one.

Leia in white robe - this is a tough one, I do like the Commtech version but it's a scene-specific pose and always has the hood up and the face is lumpy, the VOTC one is around as good a sculpt and has more range of motion. Still, there's something unsatisfying about the VOTC one, so I'm saying POTF2 Commtech.

Leia Hoth - meh, nothing worth mention, pick whatever.

Leia Bespin - POTJ version all the way.

Leia Celebration - POTF2 basic version has better paint and hair sculpt, but the Leia Collection one is a little more accurate in sculpt.

Leia Endor Celebration - The same issue as the last one, and same result, Leia Collection by a thin margin.

C-3PO - TSC Endor version with its superior sculpt and movable knees.

R2-D2 - This is a tough one for me, the weathering paint on the TSC Hoth version really makes this sculpt pop, but the VOTC version is the same sculpt even though no weathering and it has the addition of the tools panel, so I'm choosing it because you can weather it yourself even though I don't really prefer it as-is.

Boba Fett - There's 3 good entries here, 300th Fett with an exciting sculpt and pose and holstered pistol, VOTC Fett with tons of articulation and a decent sculpt, and TSC Fett with an exciting action pose and nifty flame base and decent sculpt that borrows the VOTC's legs. But the VOTC Fett's neutral stance is TOO neutral for me, the legs are so close together that it's difficult to make look dynamic. I'm going with 300th Fett even though he's preposed, it's just got mojo.

Vader - I'm really not sure on this one, so I'm going to pass, none of them entirely fulfill what I'm looking for in Vader even though 500th and VOTC and Evolutions are very good, and Commtech Vader is nifty too.

Chewie - VOTC version, easily.

Ben Kenobi - Tough choice, there's no solid entry either cloth cloak or sculpted plastic, and none of the sculpts exactly bring it, so I'll go with the VOTC version since he can sit in the Falcon and his sculpt is a little more like Alec Guinness.

Emperor Palpatine - There's no great entry here, I think I'd go with Ep 1 Darth Sidious as it just has the closest look.

Yoda - I think it's a toss-up between VOTC Yoda and OTC Yoda, the VOTC one has way more range of motion but looks fat and his bulky outer robe doesn't help anything, the OTC one is a salt shaker but a dead-on sculpt and a cool interaction with the backpack and Luke, so the OTC one gets it.

bigbarada
01-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Pretty much what JT said, except for a couple of changes:

Han Stormtrooper - the recent comic pack version is great! Some people are annoyed by the blue "highlight" paint, but it's no more distracting that the "dirt" and "blaster fire" paint applications on the early POTF2 figures.

ANH Leia - I would go with the VOTC, because she can sit and just fits better with about 95% of any ANH scene you would want to recreate.

Yoda - I would go with both the OTC Dagobah version and the VOTC version. If space is a concern, well....... it's Yoda. The OTC Dagobah Luke with Yoda stuffed in his backpack, still takes up less space than VOTC Chewie.

Or if you just want to make the perfect OT Yoda, then pull the OTC head off and put it on the VOTC body.

DarkArtist
01-11-2007, 09:02 AM
wow, sorry to hear the news about the space problem, i have a similiar situation but i put all of the figures in a large two drawer bin. it saves some space and gives me the chance to add more as the collection grows.

anyway, let's see:

Luke Tatoonie - tie between the flashback photo version of Luke and TSC version

Luke Stormie - save the cinema scene Luke and Han for the stormies and change out the Chewbacca.

Luke X-Wing - VOTC

Luke Jedi - TSC Endor - great figure and perhaps the best version we got in the line, unless of course they ever make a better version or the DS II version

Luke Dagobah - TSC dagobah training plus if you keep the spirit of Obi Wan, dagobah yoda and R2 it will make a great set and a diorama as well

Luke Ceremony - go with either the Leia Collection version or the new 30th version

Luke Hoth - Saga version and keep the Wampa with this one as well. the two figures and the ice bases look great together.

Han Cantina - VOTC - perhaps the best version of Han

Han Stormie - I myself love the comic two pack version so that would be my bet, but if you want a cool scene keep the cinema one

Han Hoth - Saga

Leia - Either the VOTC version or the early bird version- comm-tech is a cool version but is to pre-posed

Leia Hoth - unless we are getting another one I think there is only one version of this figure

Leia Bespin - hard to choose since she is in two outfits. I would go with the POTJ escape version and the Saga version. plus she is a small figure so space shouldn't be too big a problem

Leia Celebration - Leia Collection - i have both but find that the flashback phot version can't stand with the medal

Leia Endor Celebration - Leia Collection again

even though it's not listed Leia Endor Bunker - POTF coin Series or if we get a new one with the 30thVOTC

C-3PO - go with the ROTS version or the TSC Endor verison

R2-D2 - VOTC

Boba Fett - VOTC or the TSC if you're looking for scene specific figures

Vader - go with the evolutions Vader version- this figure rocks

Chewbacca - easy VOTC

Obi Wan - again either spirit Obi from OTC or VOTC

Emperor Palpatine - either the evolutions versions or the EP I Darth Sidious - i know that you're only focusing on IV -VI but the EP I is a great looking figure

Yoda - either VOTC or Dagobah

just a thought, if space is a problem, perhaps think about grouping figures together to make a scene from the movies, maybe no more then five figures per scene and use shelves to display them.

El Chuxter
01-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Mostly with JT, but I'd propose these changes:

Luke Tatooine: I'd pick "Floppy Hat" Luke from the Flashback series. It's an "offscreen" Luke, but my favorite.

Luke Ceremonial: I think the cloth on the Leia Collection version doesn't work, so I'd choose the POTF2 figure.

Leia in white robe: I personally like the 1998 "All New Likeness" figure way more than the CommTech one, who has a painted face that looks cheap.

Leia Hoth: Bespin Escape Leia, if you can live with the missing overcoat.

C-3PO: ROTS by a mile.

Boba Fett: VOTC. Awesome figure.

Vader: Probably Evolutions. For all the Vaders, there's still not one super-awesome kick-arse Vader.

Ben Kenobi: I'd go with POTJ, despite the lack of the outer cloak.

JON9000
01-11-2007, 02:53 PM
You hopefully can keep the accessories from some of the various versions of figures out there? I'm leaving off the obvious ones in this list.

Luke Tatooine- this really comes down to the 06 version versus Floppy Hat Luke from POTF2, which has elbow joints. I've opened nearly every Luke I've ever had since the accessories are all different and Luke is practically worthless carded on ebay. I need the articulated knees more than elbows, I've decided. I still await the uber-Luke.

Luke X-Wing- VTSC

Luke Bespin- Saga with weathervane

Luke Ceremonial- I would say the 07 figure

Luke Hoth- 04 SAGA

Han Cantina- VTSC

Han Stormie- comic pack

Han Hoth- 04 Saga

Leia in white robe- POTF2 that they keep re-releasing- nicely sculpted.

Leia Hoth- Mynock Hunt with face mask!

Leia Bespin- saga

Leia Celebration- princess leia collection

Leia Endor Celebration- princess leia collection

C-3PO- 06 SAGA

R2-D2- Episode I- I love the color of the Dome. Another strong candidate is AOTC SAGA

Boba Fett- VOTC, although I love 300.

Vader- VOTC

Chewie- VOTC- here's another figure that you should try to save some accessories from other versions for, such as the welder from POTJ, the mask from Mynock Hunt, and the net/3po from Bespin escape.

Ben Kenobi- POTJ with a brown cloth robe from any recent figure.

Emperor Palpatine- POTF2. Every other Palps just looks too wild.

Yoda- OTC

bountyfool
01-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and keep 'em coming... please! JON9000 makes a good point that I forgot to mention. I plan on keeping accessories from many versions and ditching just the figures in several cases.

Also, space is big issue and final deciding factor in going through all this but nagging wife and twins on the way in 6 months are also big factors. And no, I can't name the twins Luke and Leia : (

El Chuxter
01-11-2007, 05:29 PM
How about naming them Hayden and Hannah?

JediTricks
01-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Children ruin toys! ;) Congrats on the kiddos none the less though, bountyfool. :cool:

Han Stormtrooper - the recent comic pack version is great! Some people are annoyed by the blue "highlight" paint, but it's no more distracting that the "dirt" and "blaster fire" paint applications on the early POTF2 figures.I figured someone would come by and mention that figure, I don't have it so I can only judge on the pictures, but for my personal tastes, the blue with red eyes is a style choice I wouldn't be able to put with my regular figures.

ANH Leia - I would go with the VOTC, because she can sit and just fits better with about 95% of any ANH scene you would want to recreate.The one I chose has a cloth skirt as well, so it can sit, but you are right that it's more of an "ANH Leia for all seasons", that's why I had a hard choice with it.

Leia - Either the VOTC version or the early bird version- comm-tech is a cool version but is to pre-posedThe early bird one is more preposed than the commtech one:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/potf2/POTF2ctleiafr.jpg
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/ROTS/sw05ealrybirdkitleiafr.jpg
That is a nice sculpt on the Early Bird version's outfit though, makes it a tougher choice.

Leia Hoth - unless we are getting another one I think there is only one version of this figureThere's also the POTF2 Mynock Hunt Cinema Scene one which has a better head and slightly better (but very similar) body. And also, Hasbro took the POTJ Bespin Leia's body and gave her the POTF2's head and ill-fitting vest, put it in a Battle Pack or a multipack.

Obi Wan - again either spirit Obi from OTC or VOTCI thought about mentioning the OTC Spirit figure, (it uses the POTJ's lower body, but that's ok) but to me it's not a "Ben for all seasons" so I decided not to.

Luke Tatooine: I'd pick "Floppy Hat" Luke from the Flashback series. It's an "offscreen" Luke, but my favorite.I like that figure's rifle and that he can clip the electrobinoculars to his belt, and I like his articulation, but I don't care for his head sculpt so I didn't mention him.

Luke Ceremonial: I think the cloth on the Leia Collection version doesn't work, so I'd choose the POTF2 figure.Haw! I originally put that in my comments, then erased it when I compared the figs because it barely cut it for my tastes.

Leia in white robe: I personally like the 1998 "All New Likeness" figure way more than the CommTech one, who has a painted face that looks cheap.This is one that was off my list for sure, Hasbro's rereleased it once or twice but it's a little preposed and its headsculpt is a relic of an age gone by, an age when "monkey-faced Leia" was part of our collecting lexicon - those days are over though and I just don't see it having a place in the modern line.

Leia Hoth: Bespin Escape Leia, if you can live with the missing overcoat.(you mean missing vest, right?) ... and missing gloves and a different hairstyle, unfortunately.

C-3PO: ROTS by a mile.May I ask, why this one so far over the Endor one?

Luke Bespin- Saga with weathervaneWhile I'd keep the windvane accessories from that, I don't like the over-weathered outfit and savaged face paint as much as the OTC repaint, plus the OTC one's gimmick peg has been cut way down from the original's.

Leia Hoth- Mynock Hunt with face mask!That's a good choice, better head sculpt than the basic version. I'm still not sure I'd go ga-ga over it, but I'll change my choice to that.

Leia Bespin- sagaEr, what Saga Leia Bespin is that?

R2-D2- Episode I- I love the color of the Dome. Another strong candidate is AOTC SAGA Yeah, I love the way the dome on that one is designed, painted instead of sculpted doors and dullcoat on the chrome. The body gimmick limits it too much for me to choose, but I see why someone would pick it. Not sure about that AOTC Saga one, you mean the Electronic one with the Kohun assassin insects, right, not the flying one? I don't care much for that electronic R2 anymore, it's synthesized sounds rather than recorded ones, the Dagobah and ROTS electronic R2 have recorded sounds - the ROTS one is essentially the same figure except with authentic recordings.

Ben Kenobi- POTJ with a brown cloth robe from any recent figure. You're not the first person to call upon that one, and I must confess I nearly did too, but when I checked in on the head sculpt while making my list, I found it lacking, it's nice for its time but it's way off-base now, and that mattered a lot with Ben for me.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Most of these are the same opinions as others, but that will help build a consensus.

Luke Tatooine - I think all the carded versions from the POTF2 one with the blast shield are pretty much the same figure with different accessories and head sculpts. So, I guess it is a matter of which one looks best to you and which accessories you want.

Luke Stormie - None really stand out to me.

Luke X-Wing - VOTC

Luke Bespin - OTC for now, but the VTAC one should be better.

Luke Jedi - I don't have the TSC Endor version yet, but it is essentially the Saga 04 version with different accessories. The Endor one doesn't have the black cape, but I don't quite like the one on my Saga one.

Luke Dagobah - OTC. You need the OTC Yoda with it.

Luke Ceremonial - I think the new one this year will be my favorite.

Luke Hoth - Saga 04 version and you need the Wampa to get both parts of the ice base.

Han Cantina - VOTC

Han Stormie - Wait for a new one.

Han Hoth - Saga 03

Leia in white robe - I've always liked the look of the Commtech one the best, but she is a bit limited. VOTC is probably the most versatile, though something about her head doesn't look right.

Leia Hoth - The one from the Saga Battle of Hoth multipack combines the POTF2 Hoth and POTJ Bespin Escape, though the face seems too dark. Also, she doesn't have the boots from the POTF2 or Mynock Hunt versions. The POTF2 carded version is probably good enough until a better one is made.

Leia Bespin - OTC for Bespin gown, POTJ for Bespin escape.

Leia Celebration - Leia Collection.

Leia Endor Celebration - Tough call, but I think I like the Leia Collection one better.

C-3PO - TSC with the bendable knees.

R2-D2 - For me, R2-D2 has to have a retractable middle leg, so I'll go with the Saga 04 version from Jabba's sail barge.

Boba Fett - I think the VOTC version is the best.

Vader - Evolutions.

Chewie - VOTC or Early Bird

Ben Kenobi - VOTC is really the only one that is remotely good. The POTJ one is the only other one I liked, but you'd need to add a robe to that one.

Emperor Palpatine - Evolutions.

Yoda - You need the OTC one to go with Luke, but the VOTC one is more versatile.

JON9000
01-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Er, what Saga Leia Bespin is that?

Oops, ya got me. OTC Leia, although I really like the cloth Princess Leia Collection gown, the face sculpt is there.

Honestly, I think POTJ escape Leia has more screen time than Bespin Gown, and 1 of each needs to be kept.

Actually, this thread has motivated me to do some opening... I really like Mynock Hunt Leia!

JediTricks
01-14-2007, 05:52 AM
Luke Jedi - I don't have the TSC Endor version yet, but it is essentially the Saga 04 version with different accessories. The Endor one doesn't have the black cape, but I don't quite like the one on my Saga one.The issue with the loose knee joints is fixed on the TSC version. That's a good point about the cloak, he doesn't have it but it's crummy-lookin' anyway.

Leia in white robe - I've always liked the look of the Commtech one the best, but she is a bit limited. VOTC is probably the most versatile, though something about her head doesn't look right.Long neck, thin neck, hair's a tad off in shape, and she has narrow shoulders.

Chewie - VOTC or Early BirdCrap, I forgot, the Early Bird figure has a new ANH-based head, I'd go with that one over the VOTC if I had it.

Oops, ya got me. OTC Leia, although I really like the cloth Princess Leia Collection gown, the face sculpt is there.Ah, I see. I used to prefer that Leia Collection's gown over the plastic version as well, but there's not enough detail in that figure even though the OTC version is a salt shaker.