PDA

View Full Version : Did Harrison Ford turn down a 4th Star Wars Film?

Tycho
01-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Harrison Ford may have agreed to pick up the whip and fedora once more, but he apparently has no interest in revisiting the other George Lucas franchise he's somewhat known for.

According to a tipster for Britain's Daily Star, Lucas recently sounded Ford out about playing Hans Solo again for what would be an unknown seventh Star Wars project. "Harrison was horrified," says the tipster. "He told George he just couldn't face being stuck in a spaceship with Chewbacca again." Considering the vagueness of the source, it could possibly have been nothing more than a joke on Lucas's part, but the report also suggests that Lucas threw upwards of $40 million clams at Ford in order to gauge his willingness to do the part if the money was right. That sum is in the same ballpark as what Ford is already supposedly pulling down for the new Indiana Jones project.

See: I bet Lucas was interested in doing Episode 3.5 where he shows Han's father as the DNA source for the new Clones that replace Jango's Mandalorians.

Unless Episode 7 was going to show Han as Jacen Solo's father as the young Jedi was starting to fall to the Dark Side. Harrison wouldn't have to worry about scenes with Chewie in that particular scenerio as most of you sadly know why. :cry:

Slicker
01-11-2007, 12:51 AM
See: I bet Lucas was interested in doing Episode 3.5 where he shows Han's father as the DNA source for the new Clones that replace Jango's Mandalorians.

You'll grab at any straw just to TRY and be right, won't you?

Tycho
01-11-2007, 12:52 AM
You'll grab at any straw just to TRY and be right, won't you?

Yes. How am I doing? Was it a good try?

Kidhuman
01-11-2007, 07:05 AM
No, it wasnt a good try.

HanSololol
01-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Yes. How am I doing? Was it a good try?

IT was a good try

eidt: my quote looks funny after you read this haha

Jargo
01-11-2007, 03:13 PM
beats me why anyone would pay that aged wrinkly dullard anything to be in a movie these days. Ford is a walking corpse. 40 mil is just obscene though.

"Coming soon to a theatre near you - Indiana Jones IV - Catnap at noon!"

Droid
01-11-2007, 03:47 PM
I really don't see Harrison Ford or Carrie Fisher putting up with the green screen process. I think they would find the way George makes a movie exhausting or boring. I read Ewan McGregor almost jumped ship after Episode I. I was worried he wouldn't see it to the end.

Tycho
01-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Part of what Ewan didn't realize was that he was just set dressing for TPM.

He starred in AOTC and ROTS, but (for argument's sake) say the movies were supposed to be set up this way, he was required for TPM to show where Obi-Wan came from and how he found himself Anakin's master at such a young age (Obi-Wan being young that is, though Anakin was old to begin the training at age 9 - and that was part of the point).

TPM starred Liam Neeson above anyone else. Sure, I suppose they could have had a different actor utter the less than 20 lines of dialogue for Obi-Wan in that film, but I think it was much more appreciated having him along for the ride for character consistancy. We already had Jake Lloyd known to be scheduled for replacement by Hayden Christensen. At least all the rest of the main cast stayed consistent.

Anyway, there were few scenes in TPM where Ewan really got to act. ROTS was his breakout movie in the role as I could cite so many great Ewan scenes in that film.

But I think we were lucky to have him as Obi-Wan in the first place.

In the second, assuming the story for TPM was always going to be exactly as it was, we are fortunate to have had Ewan stick around for that and then complete the trilogy as well as he did. Hmmm. Makes me want to watch the prequels actually...

2-1B
01-15-2007, 01:03 AM
I won't even bother to see Indy Quad in the theater. What a waste of time that movie is going to be.

bobafrett
01-15-2007, 08:50 PM
What I'm wondering is if they can get Shatner, and Jessica Simpson, and one other I have seen so far, actors to look like they are promoting some dish network or cable company ads on TV, looking like they are talking to you, why they couldn't do the same with Harrison Ford. (wow, that's one long run on sentence)

Blue2th
01-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Harrison wouldn't have to worry about scenes with Chewie in that particular scenerio as most of you sadly know why. :cry:
So why wouldn't Harrison want to be stuck in a spaceship with Chewbacca again? Did he smell like a wet dog? What's the deal? I guess I'm one of the few who don't know why. Please enlighten me if you don't mind :confused:

Tycho
01-15-2007, 09:35 PM
The Classic EU novels seem to coincide with nearly the same present day age of Mark, Carrie, and Harrison, which always gives us hope the there could be E7, E8, and E9 with the same characters making cameo appearances, though traditionally, SW movies are about a young 20-something generation with one older patriarch type. (Luke, Leia, Han or Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan).

Anyway, if that continuity is kept, because they've bothered to keep the continuity for hundreds of books and comics and video games, plus the TV series, then Mark, Carrie, and Harrison would play their parts at their present EU age (Han nearing his 60's, Luke, Leia, (and Mara) nearing their 50's).

Chewie was killed rescuing Anakin Solo, who was busy rescuing refugees from a planet (Serindipahl) that the Yuuzhan Vong were helping crash its moon into in order to engineer a crisis.

The book, Vector Prime was by Ron Salvatore (author of the movie adaptation of AOTC) and launched the New Jedi Order novel series of about 19 or 20 books.

George Lucas however, gave the approval to kill Chewbacca because the classic novels were all starting to read alike - and everything mostly ended up the same with everyone surviving whatever crisis was told in the story.

The powers that be wanted to re-institute risk into the adult books and needed to kill a main character or two to go there.

They later ended up killing Anakin Solo as well.

Some of the reasoning was that Chewie didn't talk and was thus harder to write for (laziness) and Anakin Solo would be confused with Anakin Skywalker as the prequel Clone War books took off, so Lucasfilm wanted things simplified (laziness and presumed ignorance of the readers, again).

I think they need to kill Han, Leia, Luke, or Mara now, to up the stakes again. Like I noted, SW is about a group of 20-somethings as that is also the target audience (20-30 year olds). I don't think the adventures of the 60 year olds will continue to interest us: "Boba Fett attempts to collect Han Solo's applesauce from him in the nursing home!" OK, maybe 60 is the new 40 or something, however, that doesn't change the fact that 20-somethings are SW heart and soul.

Meanwhile, it gets really far-fetched to write stories in between other stories or the movies (exception for Clone Wars and between E3 and E4 noted) and having everybody survive against impossible odds again and again.

These are novels for adults afterall. And just because they could end with the death of the main characters, doesn't mean they can't be made really great classics. A Tale of Two Cities doesn't have sequels and prequels, but people read and re-read that over and over. We don't need 700 Star Wars novels, perpetually continuing the adventures of Han, Luke, and Leia - just some really good ones - then maybe if you like them, you'll be compelled to read them over again.

Droid
01-16-2007, 09:19 AM
I think they need to kill Han, Leia, Luke, or Mara now, to up the stakes again.

I nominate Mara.

Droid
01-16-2007, 09:19 AM
What I'm wondering is if they can get Shatner, and Jessica Simpson, and one other I have seen so far, actors to look like they are promoting some dish network or cable company ads on TV, looking like they are talking to you, why they couldn't do the same with Harrison Ford. (wow, that's one long run on sentence)

I think the Back to the Future and Ferris Bueller ones are remarkable.

El Chuxter
01-16-2007, 10:52 AM
They should kill off Legacy altogether.

Tycho
01-16-2007, 03:18 PM
They should kill off Legacy altogether.

I've read the comics but I haven't made time to get into the novels (bought 'em though). What is your problem with them?

Basically, as I understand it, SW has embraced a repeating theme - absolute power corrupts absolutely.

That's embodied by the fact that with some great tragedy or another, a Skywalker, (basically someone related to the bloodline, in this case a Solo, being them Leia's descendant), will turn to the Dark Side and become a tyrant because "life wasn't fair."

So families don't learn from their ancestors' mistakes. When has that really not been a lesson in our own history?

It unfortunately makes Han, Leia, and Luke's efforts to overthrow the Sith with a bunch of Ewoks an exorcise in vain if their children screw things up. But it's no less a great adventure on Endor and so forth because of Jacen Solo's actions.

There will always be a Dark Side to guard against. Now, for 2 (non-consecutive) generations of Skywalkers, the problem has been with their own family. It wasn't always - Ulic Qel Droma and Exar Kun were not related. And it probably won't always be, as the Dark Side 100 years after Darth Krayt will probably not be a Skywalker, Solo, or Fel, nor anyone related as these families will have learned how much their own can screw things up.

The Skywalker bloodline is infamous because Anakin (prequel movie Anakin) was conceived by the midichlorians (or so rumored) and thus a powerful Jedi of prophesy who was corrupted by the Sith. Through his (and as Darth Vader's) fame, Luke, Jaina, and Jacen, Ben, Cole, and finally Cade were all made infamous. History sort of remembers. (I don't know if we can trace Washington's or Jefferson's descendants to modern times or not, but if they're alive, we probably can - but not terribly farther back than that).

So, I think the storyline is rather logical. As to Luke and Leia's family problems? I'm sorry but it's tough luck. Grab an Ewok. I heard that hugging one helps.

El Chuxter
01-16-2007, 03:38 PM
It's not the cyclical nature of things, or the less-than-rosy outlook that bother me. It's the complete disregarding of the idea of the balance of the Force.

Like I've said before, Sith Lord can exist in any time in books written prior to 1999. It's ignorance of Lucas' plan (which, likely, wasn't even made up yet).

After 1999, Sith can only exist in EU works set during or before the prequels. Period. There are no more Sith after Vader kills Sidious. No matter how lacking they may have been, the prequels are still canon.

Tycho
01-16-2007, 05:21 PM
That's not true about the Sith.

There can be no physical embodiment of one for generations, and then along comes a Force sensitive who buys The Dark Side For Dummies and The Idiot's Guide To Ultimate Power and teaches themselves, then sets out hellbent on destruction, and possibly trains an apprentice while they're at it. Then the Sith are reborn.

The species has long died out as you very well know. It's the tradition, and that can be brought back, even if "always none there have been, but now two there are."

Think of a scale. You can balance it perfectly, then that gets screwed up in the next earthquake.

All it takes is someone close to the Sith legacy to really want for it. Jacen grew up his whole life knowing what his parents fought against. If he truly loses his wife and child, as has been suggested to me that it might be the case, then in his emotionally distraught choice, he might make the same immature, adolescent choice his grandfather made in the vein of "Oh yeah? I'll show you pain and suffering!" I don't know what happens, I'll have to read the Legacy novels. You've made me curious to take them down off my shelf. (I'm writing my own novel (non-Star Wars now) and stay focused on that.

bobafrett
01-16-2007, 10:56 PM
I think the Back to the Future and Ferris Bueller ones are remarkable.

I saw the "Back to the Future" one just yesterday, would love to see the Ferris Bueller one as I made my big screen apperance in that film. I was a blur in the parade crowd, which even slowed down to frame by frame, I'm still just a blur. I find it incredible that they can make the actors look like they are pitching a product!