PDA

View Full Version : Dream Army building battle packs (ala the clonetrooper and battle droid ones)

jedi master sal
01-11-2007, 01:57 PM
They come in battle packs, but with a small twist. In the case of the Battle droid pack, it comes with 4 battle droids and three super battle droids. However the twist is that it comes with a small transport speeder.

LEGO needs to get around the whole figure only thing, because apparently Hasbro has a contract with LFL to be the only manufacturer to be allow to sell figure packs. So, by LEGO sticking in some small vehicle, it can't be considered wholly just a figure pack. The clone one include 4 clone, but also a two-seater speederbike and a mobile pod cannon of some sort.

Now bearing this in mind...here what I'd like to see from them (knowing that they'd have to include some sort of extra thing to break from it being a strictly figure pack.):
Tusken Raider Pack: 4 Tuskens, 1 Bantha
Sandtrooper Pack: 4 Sandtroopers (1 with orange, white and 2 black paulrons), 1 Dewback
Jawa Pack: 6 Jawas, Ronto
Skiff Guard Pack: Nikto, Klaatu, Barada, Weequay, mini skiff
Stormtrooper Pack: 4 stormtroopers, AT-PT (All terrain personal transport)
Scout trooper Pack: 4 Biker Scouts, 2 speeder bikes
Snowtrooper Pack: 3 snowtroopers, 1 snowtrooper commander, E-web cannon, mini walker
Imperials Pack: 2 Black garbed Imperial officers, 2 Death Star gunners, 2 Imperial troopers (the ones in the detention area with the big black bucket helmets), mini personel transport.
Bespin Guard Pack: 4 guards (2 white, 1 black, 1 asian), Carbonite solo, mini Twin Pod cloud card (something similar but not exactly like it)
Jabba's Palace/Guards Pack: 3 Gammoreans, Jabba, DIAS!
Gungan pack: 4 gungan warriors, 1 capt (like Tarpal-uh, just realized this Tarpal-Tarfful hmmm....)
Battle droid securtiy/pilot pack: 4 security, 2 pilot droids, same transport speeder as in the existing BD set
Clone Trooper pack (AOTC): 6 clones (1 yellow, 1 red, 4 white), command platform with cannons (similar to the one Yoda goes to)
Geonosian Pack: 6 geonosians, orray (small beast) oooh and that large cannon!
Utapau Clone set: 1 cody, 1 airborne trooper, 4 clones, mini gunship like craft
501st set: commander Appo, 5 clones, some type of speeder bike
Kashyyyk clone set: Gree!, 4 clones, mini AT-RT like walker

I found a link for both the battle droid pack and the clone trooper pack.

Battle Droid:
http://starwars.lego.com/en-us/Products/classic/7654.aspx
Clone Trooper:
http://starwars.lego.com/en-us/Products/classic/7655.aspx

Now the VERY cool thing is that I just found these sets again last night.

I bought one of the Clone trooper sets and all four of the Battle Droid sets that I found. Heck at only $10 a pop, they are worth it. I just wish instead of getting a Bly grunt, Shocktrooper and 2 white clones, that we would have got 4 of one kind, like Utapau, or 501st, or all Shocktroopers, or all Bly's grunts (well maybe one Cmdr Bly with that set). But who knows. I suspect with the popularity of these two current LEGO army builders that the sets will sell out and LEGO will get the hint and possible make packs like the ones I mentioned above.

So what do you think? Are you getting these packs? If so, would you buy other army building sets like the ones mentioned above?

Did I miss any? Any others you'd like to see. (Not main characters, just army building.)

DarkArtist
01-11-2007, 02:25 PM
I'd throw in a generic Jedi pack with 4 Jedi and 2 Padawans and perhaps a mini Jedi Starfighter or mini mediation chamber.

Rebel Commando's Endor - 4 rebels and two speeder bikes

ewok builder - 4 ewoks and perhaps the catapult and glider

rebel fleet troopers - 4 rebels and a mini tantive IV

utapau clones invasion - 2 clones, 1 airborne clone, 1 cody & 2 crab droids

JediTricks
01-14-2007, 01:00 AM
BAH! I hate you Sal, you stole my idea and ran with it while I was too burned out and busy to post it myself!!! ;) I was totally thinking about this same subject when I opened the trooper BPs the other day. I got 1 each of the sets, the Clones pack was a bit empty but the Droids set brought it back to coolsville.

I think a Stormtrooper pack is a must, it could be 2 Sandtroopers with backpacks and 2 Stormtroopers, 4 new blasters and 2 rifles, and I was thinking the build part could be a troop transport like what the Rebels have in ANH, and a piece of the Death Star control room with the gun rack and door - call it a battle emplacement or something. At the very least, a rotating armored gun emplacement similar to the Hoth Rebel Turret.

Something you left off, ANH Rebels, Hoth Rebels, Endor Rebels, Rebel Pilots and Imperial Pilots. I'm not sure how most of those would work, but a Hoth Rebels one should be 4 of those guys, a dish turret cannon and an armored turret.

You have some pretty cool ideas there, but I think you're dreaming a little big with beasts and AT-PTs, look how little the Clone Trooper BP extras are, the Droids BP is better but still no way you could get some of that stuff out of that.

Out of your ideas:

Tusken Raider Pack: 4 Tuskens, 1 Bantha - 1x for sure, I doubt we'd get a Bantha beast but maybe a brick version. I can't think of what else they'd be sporting though.
Sandtrooper Pack: 4 Sandtroopers (1 with orange, white and 2 black paulrons), 1 Dewback - just 1x for me unless the bonus is cool, and I think orange should be the 2x. As for the dewback, I don't see it happening.
Jawa Pack: 6 Jawas, Ronto - 1x, but I'd prefer anything but the Ronto, perhaps a tread from a Sandcrawler, some junk or droids or a cave.
Skiff Guard Pack: Nikto, Klaatu, Barada, Weequay, mini skiff - 2x probably, and the mini-skiff seems cool.
Stormtrooper Pack: 4 stormtroopers, AT-PT (All terrain personal transport) - 3x at least, but like I said above, the AT-PT ain't gonna happen, they'd need to do something much smaller and simpler.
Scout trooper Pack: 4 Biker Scouts, 2 speeder bikes - 2x of this probably, and as a side note, we still need an Endor bunker set.
Snowtrooper Pack: 3 snowtroopers, 1 snowtrooper commander, E-web cannon, mini walker - 3x of this probably, and I'd like to see them get cloth "skirts" finally. Oh, and a turret might be cooler than a mini-walker, it'd depend on the designs.
Imperials Pack: 2 Black garbed Imperial officers, 2 Death Star gunners, 2 Imperial troopers (the ones in the detention area with the big black bucket helmets), mini personel transport. - never gonna happen, 6 SW minifigs for $10. What they could do though is do 4 black garbed officers and include 2 gunner and 2 trooper helmets as well. Anyway, I'd probably buy 2 of that, and I want my Death Star wall or door! :p
Bespin Guard Pack: 4 guards (2 white, 1 black, 1 asian), Carbonite solo, mini Twin Pod cloud card (something similar but not exactly like it) - Probably zero of this for me unless they came up with a nifty environment element.
Jabba's Palace/Guards Pack: 3 Gammoreans, Jabba, DIAS! - speaking of things that are never gonna happen. Jabba is very expensive, it'd be like 1 Gamorrean and 1 Jabba and a 6x10 plate for the dais. Still, I like your thinking, if they came up with a set of Gamorreans and a dais and another guy, I'd get 1 or 2.
Gungan pack: 4 gungan warriors, 1 capt (like Tarpal-uh, just realized this Tarpal-Tarfful hmmm....) - zero.
Battle droid securtiy/pilot pack: 4 security, 2 pilot droids, same transport speeder as in the existing BD set - probably another zero.
Clone Trooper pack (AOTC): 6 clones (1 yellow, 1 red, 4 white), command platform with cannons (similar to the one Yoda goes to) - yet another likely zero, I don't like Ep 2 clones.
Geonosian Pack: 6 geonosians, orray (small beast) oooh and that large cannon! - Geonosians are minifigs with specialized heads, so no way you're getting more than 4 in a $10 set. Still, I'd buy 1x of that even though I already have the cannon from the Geonosian Starfighter set, don't really care for the beastie, I'd prefer a segment of wall that they were sleeping in or something.
Utapau Clone set: 1 cody, 1 airborne trooper, 4 clones, mini gunship like craft - again, just 4 minifigs allotted for this sort of thing. I might get 1x of a variation like that, depends on how they present everything. We could use more BARC speeders, that could go in this set.
501st set: commander Appo, 5 clones, some type of speeder bike

Kashyyyk clone set: Gree!, 4 clones, mini AT-RT like walker - both of these seem way too far out there for me to speculate on, and too specialized for my needs.

I'd throw in a generic Jedi pack with 4 Jedi and 2 Padawans and perhaps a mini Jedi Starfighter or mini mediation chamber.That's a good idea, though I think 3 Jedi and 1 Padawan is the most we can expect. The Jedi HAVE to be non-smilie guys though, I'm sick of happy-go-lucky generic Jedi! Maybe have mix-n-match colors for hoods and robes as well, at least between brown and tan. And I'd like to see Lego include double-capes to make more robe-like outfits (the guys wear 1 on each side).

Rebel Commando's Endor - 4 rebels and two speeder bikes - that's a cool idea, though I'd prefer a mini-bunker. I'd probably get 1x of that, 2x if there was that cool bunker in there.
ewok builder - 4 ewoks and perhaps the catapult and glider - a good idea, 5x ewoks even (ewoks use shorty legs which are 1 piece instead of 3), I'd probably buy 1x of this set.
rebel fleet troopers - 4 rebels and a mini tantive IV - I'm not down with the MINI-style vehicles, it has to be something they can actually interact with for my tastes, but a short segment of Tantive IV interior hallway would be cool, I'd get 2x of that.

Battle Droid
01-14-2007, 08:36 AM
Neimoidian Warriors: 3 Neimoidian Warriors, 1 Neimoidian Commander, Nute Gunray, and some made up little vehicle.

Mustafarian Sentries: 4 Mustafarian Sentries, and a Lava Flea.

Mustafar Lava Miners: 3 Mustafar Lava Miners, lava havesting platform, and 2 lava panning droids.

Utapau Warriors: 3 Utapau Warriors, and a

figrin bran
01-15-2007, 01:06 AM
i usually only buy around 3-4 Lego sets per year and so if they were to come through on some of Sal's and JT's ideas, i'd be compelled to buy more lego vehicle sets ;)

jedi master sal
01-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Heh heh, glad i could one up you JT...heh

Well, I was dreaming big. So I'd be fine with smaller sets as you've suggested.

It's easy to speculate on these. I SO totally see the current sets selling out.

Glad you liked my ideas.

Oh, figrin bran, sorry if my ideas come to fruition and hurt your pocketbook...heh.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Some good ideas here, but to be realistically made there couldn't be any specialized elements made only for a battle pack set. I can't think of any in these two first ones that are unique and weren't made for a previous set. Some of the ones mentioned, like the Jabba guard one, would be a pipe dream due to the new head sculpts needed for the aliens. If we do get any ones down the road I'm betting they'll be from the OT and strictly army builders at that, e.g., stormies, pilots, troops, though a pack of EP2 clones would be great since the only way to get them thus far has been through buying the AT-TE or RGS, both high $ sets.

I know that Lego plans these things out well in advanced and the MTT & friends will be the only other sets for 2007, but would anyone say that it is likely for Lego to pump out another two BP sets this year? These two seem like a smashing success, so why couldn't they release a few more this year seeing that they would also likely sell?

figrin bran
01-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Oh, figrin bran, sorry if my ideas come to fruition and hurt your pocketbook...heh.

haha, well they would certainly put me in a position of having to choose between army building hasbro figures or army building legos. :p

jedi master sal
01-17-2007, 11:50 AM
haha, well they would certainly put me in a position of having to choose between army building hasbro figures or army building legos. :p

Cheaper to build LEGO figs...

Only cost $10 and you get 3 Super Battle Droids AND 4 Battle droids.

Psst, plus here's a secret (I'll have to get pics to show you), if you buy 4 of the battle droid pack, you can make a Vulture droid starfighter from all the rest of the parts (with some left over parts).

I'll never give up army building Hasbro stuff, but if LEGO came out with the sets mentioned above, it WOULD take a hit on the amount of Hasbro ones I'd collect, not a huge hit, but one nonetheless.

-Sal

Jangu Fett
01-17-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm not interested in the Naboo Fighter, the JSF with Hyperdrive Ring, MTT and Hoth Base, are the sets I want. I hope the Hoth Base has a mini Snowspeeder, like Hasbros old concept design one.

figrin bran
01-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Cheaper to build LEGO figs...

Only cost $10 and you get 3 Super Battle Droids AND 4 Battle droids.

Psst, plus here's a secret (I'll have to get pics to show you), if you buy 4 of the battle droid pack, you can make a Vulture droid starfighter from all the rest of the parts (with some left over parts).

I'll never give up army building Hasbro stuff, but if LEGO came out with the sets mentioned above, it WOULD take a hit on the amount of Hasbro ones I'd collect, not a huge hit, but one nonetheless.

-Sal

Sal, you'll have to show me how to make the Vulture Droid! i have 1 of the droid packs thus far and bought 3 of the clone packs last night from kay bee's site. now i'll need to get more droids to balance things out :p

Mandalorian Candidat
01-18-2007, 01:33 PM
I hope the Hoth Base has a mini Snowspeeder, like Hasbros old concept design one.

Nah, the hoth base was just a bad rumor. It doesn't appear to be a valid set...at least as 2007 goes.

Jangu Fett
01-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I heard otherwise, I was excited about the "rumored" Blockade Runner, redone Gunship and Tauntaun sets. And, yes those proved to be false. But according to one of the mods at eurobrick, a Hoth BASE, will be made. Not a small Tauntaun/Probot set. But a larger base set. Maybe we'll see at Toy Fair next month.

JediTricks
01-19-2007, 04:54 PM
That Hoth Base thing was denounced as a rumor by the person who was the named source on it, don't count on it.

figrin bran
01-26-2007, 02:06 AM
I'm not sure if i'll find any takers but i just thought i might throw this out there - I'll trade any a white clone or shocktrooper from the Lego packs for your yellow clones from the same pack.

Don't know if this has been discussed but it seems there are two variations on the Clones set box. one has "build your army" on the front and the back is glued and with a circular perforation while the other box has no "build your army" and is taped, not glued.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Those whiners over at fbtb.net forums have about 10 threads on the shortage of bp's. I had to escape for a while to regain my sanity.

Has anyone here had problems finding either of them? I know they're not plentiful, but I've seen them pretty regularly at Target.

Ji'dai
02-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I am just completely blown away by the demand for these things. I was starting to get paranoid, which I know is completely unreasonable. I saw them at TRU Friday but passed due to their price mark-up, and they were gone by Monday. Even Shop@Home is backordered until June. I ended up buying both sets yesterday, but I had to go to a small town Wal-Mart twenty-minutes away. Wanted to check their clearance stuff anyway.

I'm interested to see if demand is constant for the rest of the year. Hopefully this will encourage LEGO to make other army builder sets, especially OT ones. I want Snowtroopers so badly it hurts.

figrin bran
02-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Those whiners over at fbtb.net forums have about 10 threads on the shortage of bp's. I had to escape for a while to regain my sanity.

Has anyone here had problems finding either of them? I know they're not plentiful, but I've seen them pretty regularly at Target.

they sell out pretty quickly here in SoCal, even the battle droids but i've still been able to buy quite a few for myself - 4 clone sets, 3 battle droids. most of them came from WM, a few from TRU.

i'm curious too to see how long the demand for these will last.