PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Obi-Wan and Lando variants

Old Fossil
01-11-2007, 08:51 PM
I've noticed that there are "white hair" and "gray hair" Obi-Wan Kenobi figures, and a "Smiling Teeth" Lando in addition to the one with no teeth painted.

Is one variation as common as the other? I.e., are "Smiling Teeth" Lando's as common as the regular issue?

I cannot for the life of me remember noticing these variations as a kid.

Kidhuman
01-11-2007, 08:57 PM
I recall the Obi-Wan varaint, but not the Lando one. There was also a small head and a big head Han(ANH outfit) variant. I dont recall which is more common on the Obi-Wan.

LusiferSam
01-12-2007, 12:16 AM
As far as I know neither the white/gray hair Ben or the teeth/no teeth Lando as really rare variations. I believe Ben is about 50-50 in hair color. The earliest ones (i.e. DT sabers) were white hair, but gray hair Bens showed up pretty early on. Lando is a bit different. Early on the no teeth version was the primary. But later it was mostly the teeth version. Again I don't believe one is more rare than the other.

Jayspawn
01-12-2007, 05:20 PM
I agree, the Ben and Lando varients are about 50/50.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-14-2007, 10:01 AM
I think that the gray hair Bens came out with ROJ cards, so how ever many of those figs were produced would tell you its "rarity" (and I'd echo the previous posts and say "not all that rare" for him). I, too, never saw one of these as a kid, because I and my friends were not carded collectors; once you had the figure, there wasn't any need to buy another one.

Lando, however, I did see the teeth one. I couldn't tell you which version came first, but I don't recall seeing the teeth one on any picture lists or card backs.

I have one of each of these two, plus a couple "played with" incomplete ones.

LusiferSam
01-16-2007, 02:40 PM
I think that the gray hair Bens came out with ROJ cards,

I'm sure I've seen a gray hair Ben on a SW card, but I'm not finding it online right on. It might have been in Sansweet's or Kellerman's book. The earliest I'm finding online for gray hair Bens in on a ESB card (no clue what type of card back).

It funny I never saw I white hair Ben as a kid, only gray. My friends and I'm only had gray hair Bens. I can only image would kind of arguments the two hair colors would have provoked between my best friend and I. :rolleyes:

vader121
01-17-2007, 01:33 PM
The Ben figure is 50/50 but I have a harder time finding Lando with teeth rather than without for some reason.

Other notable variants ...

-Biker Scout with large mouth piece and small mouth piece
-Bespin Guard with 2 straight legs and one with 1 bent leg
-Bespin Leia with turtle neck and without (just painted differently)
-Klaatu (palace) with gray limbs and some with tan limbs or even some mixed
-Luke with yellow hair and brown hair (ROTJ)

There are also many others with accessory variations.

LusiferSam
01-17-2007, 04:31 PM
I know that you know the list of figure variations (the figure it's self, not it's accessories) is much longer than that. The most glaring omission is big and small head Han. Other US figure variations that are talk about a lot are:
Hoth Han: Painted legs or molded legs
IG-88: Silver or gray plastic
Bespin Luke: Yellow or brown hair
Yoda: Little green or dark green skin
Hoth Leia: Little brown or dark brown hair
Imperial Commander: Veers style head or Piett style head

I'm no longer sold the idea that Klaatu can have gray or tan limbs. I've seen some evidents that points pretty strongly to this being just discoloration and aging. I don't totally buy this theory, but the photos are pretty hard to argue with.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-18-2007, 06:29 PM
I know that you know the list of figure variations (the figure it's self, not it's accessories) is much longer than that. The most glaring omission is big and small head Han. Other US figure variations that are talk about a lot are:
Hoth Han: Painted legs or molded legs
IG-88: Silver or gray plastic
Bespin Luke: Yellow or brown hair
Yoda: Little green or dark green skin
Hoth Leia: Little brown or dark brown hair
Imperial Commander: Veers style head or Piett style head

I'm no longer sold the idea that Klaatu can have gray or tan limbs. I've seen some evidents that points pretty strongly to this being just discoloration and aging. I don't totally buy this theory, but the photos are pretty hard to argue with.It's an old debate, but I buy these as true variants:
brown hair/yellow hair original and Bespin Lukes
old hair/older hair Ben
those truly impossible-to-find telescoping saber figs
blue saber/green saber Jedi Lukes
(the battle of) Little/Big Head Han :rolleyes:
Bespin neckin'/no neckin' Leia

I call the other colors differences just that, not different figs:
silver/gray Iggy-88
lookit my wacky arms Klaatu
Yoda in the tanning booth

And I call the shape differences just a product (pun intended) of massive production:
Tusken open/closed mouth tubes
Biker Scout big/little mouth
any leg positions

And I'm aware that I will probably contradict myself at some point, so it's not canon, just a passing opinion that perhaps will change like a .02 POTF2 card...