PDA

View Full Version : Legos

HanSololol
01-13-2007, 03:12 PM
are Lego sets worth much money now? I have a few incompelte ones i guess if anyone knows anything let me know.

Slicker
01-13-2007, 04:17 PM
It's really tough to put a price on something for sure.

It really just depends on if someone happens to be looking for a particular item when it's up for sale.

One LEGO set may sell for $100 one week but may only sell for $50 the next.

Basically, it's only worth what someone's willing to pay.

El Chuxter
01-13-2007, 04:29 PM
If they're incomplete, your best bet is at a yard sale, and you won't get much. :(

JediTricks
01-13-2007, 04:30 PM
ebay is generally the best place to look for this, some sets even incomplete can fetch a decent amount if they have the box and instructions (the box and instructions can on rare occasions be worth more alone than with an incomplete set), while some sets just never take off and are worth more parted out (but that's more work and you really have to know what's what).

Darth Jax
01-14-2007, 10:02 AM
something is only worth whatever some foolish individual is willing to pay for it.

LusiferSam
01-14-2007, 10:31 AM
I agree with what been said, but have a few things to add. An old incomplete can still be worth a fair amount if it was rare parts. Sets like the Yellow Castle (375/6075) (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/375_2), Knight's Tournament (383/6083) (383_2), and Knight's Procession (677/6077) (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/677) all sell for big bucks even incomplete. In this case it's the mini-figures that are mostly driving the price. Generally speaking sets made between 1978 and 1983 sell more than sets made from 1984 onward. But a rare, unique, or desirable part can drive the price way up.

Pre-1978 sets need to have their boxes. Instruction are less important because these sets tended to be more like todays Basic sets. It's really only in the 70's do you start to see a lot of model specific sets. But the box and instruction always add to the value of a set.

My advice if you want to sell your sets is to sell them on eBay as one big lot, with as much info as you can provide. If you have a rare or valuable set (pre-1984), I'd then sell that one separately.

bobafrett
01-15-2007, 07:36 PM
I've seen some Lego auctions on eBay that have fatched a good amount for just the mini figures, like Stormtroopers and Imperial officers. Now that they are releasing the smaller sets with 4 or so figures, I'm hoping it reduces the price of those auctions.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Just a few years ago, something like the Republic Gunship would go about as high as $100 or so (it retailed at $80). Now look at ebay and they are well over that amount. Many other of the larger sets have also gone for higher amounts on ebay recently. This may have to do with the latest splurge on Lego at retail from the 2006 Xmas season, but the aftermarket prices seem to be climbing for SW sets at least.

LusiferSam
01-16-2007, 02:41 PM
I've seen some Lego auctions on eBay that have fatched a good amount for just the mini figures, like Stormtroopers and Imperial officers. Now that they are releasing the smaller sets with 4 or so figures, I'm hoping it reduces the price of those auctions.

That goes in the desirable parts category. If you have one of every that a Stormtrooper comes in you only have 10 Stormtroopers. Clearly Lego doesn't make enough of those guys because there people out there want 10 or 100 times that number for large MOC scenes from the movies. I think Lego would really have to ramp up the production of these mini-figure in order to see much of a drop in the price. Demand for this mini-figure is just too great.

Jargo
02-07-2007, 08:27 AM
ebay is my friend where lego parts are concerned. I rarely buy full sets. just pick and choose the parts depending on what I'm building and if I need certain bits just buy them from ebay. Though one of my favourite sellers from australia has just closed shop. :(

LusiferSam
02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
ebay is my friend where lego parts are concerned. I rarely buy full sets. just pick and choose the parts depending on what I'm building and if I need certain bits just buy them from ebay. Though one of my favourite sellers from australia has just closed shop. :(

If that's the case, you're living like a heathen. BrickLink (http://www.bricklink.com/) is much better for buying specific parts than eBay. Unless your looking for a really rare part, somebody will have it have on BrickLink. eBay is better for finding deals on whole sets and random lots of bulk bricks. But if you know what you want, BrickLink can't be beat.

Jargo
02-07-2007, 08:32 PM
I'd hardly say 'living like a heathen' is called for..

Besides, a lot of the sellers on bricklink also sell on ebay.

LusiferSam
02-08-2007, 01:28 PM
I'd hardly say 'living like a heathen' is called for..
Only a heathen would say that. No, seriously it was meant as a joke (that means laugh darn it!)

Besides, a lot of the sellers on bricklink also sell on ebay.

My problem there is most seller I find that do both run auctions on eBay, not Buy Nows. Auctions are rarely cheaper. Plus went I want bricks I want lots of bricks. These seller normally have a better selection of parts on BrickLink than eBay.

Jargo
02-08-2007, 02:12 PM
really? hmmm I've been finding quantities of the parts I want with relative ease. there's like a handful of sellers i buy from regularly that do buy it now. I almost point blank refuse to join an auction on anything. it ires me too much to be sniped. having said that most of the parts I buy are special parts or odd parts. I have a ton of regular bricks dating back to the 1970's so rarely need any bulk bricks. Though that will change soon.

I can see what you're saying, I guess it depends on what you want to build, how big it is and how much you can afford to spend. I have a limit on how much I'll pay per part but I'm not overly concerned if a particular part costs me a few dollars if I really want it. I'll also wait around til I find the same thing cheaper though so it's sort of dependant on mood and whim for me.

JediTricks
02-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Hey Jargo, is LEGO's pick-a-brick online available to you in the UK? When I did my parts search for the AT-ST chin rebuild, I ended up skimming pab and they had a very nice assortment.

Jargo
02-19-2007, 05:59 PM
yes it is. I've looked at it with an eye to the future when i need my bulk bricks. At the moment I'm hunting individual special parts out. mostly black and red and orange. after I've done what I'm doing with those then I'll be needing a huge mountain of greys tans browns and greens.

Of course like I said in the february hauls thread i just bankrupted myself buying parts. well that's to say I've overspent by twice my budget. I just got into this one ebay store and once i started i just couldn't stop. so many cool bits and bobs.

So while it seems like I spent a lot, in fact, it would have cost me a tidy fortune more to have bought the sets those parts came from so in the long run I've saved a small fortune. and don't have many unwanted parts. (I'm too lazy to be bothered selling on ebay myself.)

But I'm running very close to getting into real trouble with my partner for spending so much.....

Slicker
02-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Don't know if you've stated elsewhere, but what exactly are you building with all of these pieces?

Jargo
02-19-2007, 06:47 PM
tis a semi secret. It'll sound stupid if I tell you before it's built. Best I wait til I have something to show even if it's just stage one. Hopefully it'll be big though. :)

LusiferSam
02-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Don't know if you've stated elsewhere, but what exactly are you building with all of these pieces?

In my case it's a Cathedral (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=104564) for the time being. My next project is going to be a Imperial Guards (red soldiers) themed town. Think the Imperial Trading Post (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6277) only, much, much bigger.

Slicker
02-19-2007, 08:10 PM
I like that Cathedral LS. I think I've seen pictures of it before. Nice work.

2-1B
02-19-2007, 08:58 PM
I saw that Cathedral in an email at work...impressive, most impressive.

Jargo
02-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Y'know my elder brother builds pirate theme stuff. he built a fantastic warship. and a harbour township around it if i recall correctly. My brother is something of a Lego nerd. the eggheaded variety. he studied civil engineering at Uni for example. is part of a Lego train enthusiasts group. that sort of thing. has a house stacked with Lego in drawers, sorted by piece and by colour. he has a room floor to ceiling full of Lego he sells.

I'm just amateur compared to my brother. However, So as not to be a bore I've decided to tell you after all what I'm building.

Imagine if you will A James Bond bad guy's secret laboratory lair. imagine Tracey island from the Thunderbirds. Imagine Fu Man Chu in a modern setting. Imagine A live volcano. now mix em all up. Then throw in a bit of the Batcave, some ninja bodyguards, lots of black and orange lego and that's roughly what we're talking about.

I have a rough plan. I know what I'd like to see myself build but it'll change a lot during the build. hopefully it'll have a train running through it and an airstrip and some boats and trucks and lots of minifigs and lights and moving stuff. And will seem less impressive when I finally show pics than i make it sound because I'm the only one enthused about it all.

I'm going to need a lot more plants, foliage and palm treese than I've got though. and vines. And bushes. Lego could definitely do with adding some new green leaf plants to their parts inventory. hard to make a rainforest with just palm trees and bushes. those seaweed looking cactus things, flower stems and deciduous leaf bits. maybe a vine with leaves on it or a larger bush or shrub. maybe a proper prickly cactus or some long grass. yeah. need some of that.

LusiferSam
02-21-2007, 08:43 PM
I saw that Cathedral in an email at work...impressive, most impressive.

Thanks. My work isn't that great or grand, but it's always nice to get feedback from people.

Mr. DP I can't wait to see your creation. It's sound very, very impressive. Once you start building you should post some work in progress pictures.

Jargo
02-23-2007, 08:19 PM
I'll try and remember to take some. I usually get so caught up in the engineering side of it all that i forget til it's built.