PDA

View Full Version : And then there were 3...

Slicker
01-16-2007, 03:02 PM
The world has lost yet another World War I vet.

The French are down to just 3 living vets from the war and they can't be long in this world as they're well over 100.

Here's the story. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070116/ap_on_re_eu/obit_wwi_veteran)

The sad part is that in just 25 or 30 years the last of the World War II vets will be dying off.:cry:

stillakid
01-16-2007, 04:55 PM

The French are down to just 3 living vets from the war and they can't be long in this world as they're well over 100.

Here's the story. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070116/ap_on_re_eu/obit_wwi_veteran)

The sad part is that in just 25 or 30 years the last of the World War II vets will be dying off.:cry:

Not to be a downer, but at this rate, the last of the Iraqi War vets will die off by 2008. Unfortunately, it won't be due to natural causes. :cry:

CaptainSolo1138
01-17-2007, 10:40 PM
The French are down to just 3 living vets from the war and they can't be long in this world as they're well over 100.I was reading somewhere that there may be more surviving vets, but for some reason or another they aren't "officially" recognized as having served in WWI. Perhaps they were underage or simply picked up arms and joined in vigilante-style? Just guesses.

The sad part is that in just 25 or 30 years the last of the World War II vets will be dying off.:cry:I bet that gets much more publicity because of the "popularity" or WWII. I'm willing to bet that more people can tell you about the Bulge or Wake Island than can tell you about Verdun or the Somme. I actually thought about doing my graduate work on why WWII is so "cool" compared to other wars.

Slicker
01-17-2007, 10:45 PM
I actually thought about doing my graduate work on why WWII is so "cool" compared to other wars.I've often wondered that myself. I would have to say that it was the the grand scale of WWII (being a literal world war rather than the, for the most part, European war that WWI was) and the fact that 3 militarily powerful nations (Germany, Japan, and Italy) were all trying to take over the world.

I should really start a dedicated WWI/WWII thread so we can talk of these things.

CaptainSolo1138
01-17-2007, 11:00 PM
(Germany, Japan, and Italy) Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Italy was really just the little country that could(n't). I think Mussolini was perfectly content to be Hitler's little lapdog. I'd actually replace them with Russia. Once Stalin got things going he didn't want to stop.

I should really start a dedicated WWI/WWII thread so we can talk of these things.Not a bad idea, but I'm pretty sure it'd end up in the forum-which-shall-not-be-named.

Slicker
01-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Italy was really just the little country that could(n't). I think Mussolini was perfectly content to be Hitler's little lapdog. I'd actually replace them with Russia. Once Stalin got things going he didn't want to stop. I was going with the Axis powers but the Russia part is totally right.

I also try to steer clear of bashing on Italy as being weak since I haven't read on them alone. I only see bits and pieces when they're compared to the Germans. I'm sure on there own they were good fighters but when compared to the Germans most armies looked like carp.

CaptainSolo1138
01-17-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm sure on there own they were good fighters but when compared to the Germans most armies looked like carp.Maybe when compared to the Hitler Youth minor leagues.

*Africa, 1940: 30,000 British troops halt 250,000 Italian troops
*Ethiopia, 1941: With about the same 8:1 disadvantage, the British beat the Italians.
*Yugoslavia, 1941: The Italians defeat the British and occupy their territory. After the Wehrmacht jumps in to help.
*Stalingrad, 1942: 200,000 Italians fight on the outskirts of the real battle but still manage to lose nearly half of their men.
*Egypt, 1942: The Italians push the British back into Egypt. After Erwin Rommel takes over.

Overall, Italy has an 0-9 war record.

What were you saying?:p

Slicker
01-17-2007, 11:42 PM
I said they were good fighters...but there upper leadership was complete carp. When the Italians served under a German general (Rommel in particular) they fought as good as the Germans.

stillakid
01-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Overall, Italy has an 0-9 war record.

But their women are WAY hotter than the rest. :love:

CaptainSolo1138
01-18-2007, 08:59 AM
But their women are WAY hotter than the rest. :love:Especially the elliejabbapop. She's a stunner!:thumbsup: ;)

I said they were good fighters...but there upper leadership was complete carp. When the Italians served under a German general (Rommel in particular) they fought as good as the Germans.OK, I'll agree with that.:)

El Chuxter
01-18-2007, 11:17 AM
I thought you preferred Japanese women over Italians, Cappy? :p

JimJamBonds
01-18-2007, 11:57 AM
In that last year or so I remember reading an article that said there was at the time less then 20 surviving Great War veterns.

Slicker
04-02-2007, 11:39 PM
The last Navy sailor from the war has died.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070401/ap_on_re_us/obit_brown

JimJamBonds
04-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Last week I saw an article (didn't get to read it) in USA Today about a WWI vet you just turned 107.

TeeEye7
04-03-2007, 12:58 AM
I think there's two main reasons why WWII is more popular (read: "cool") in contemporary times:

1-the US remained neutral for a long time while the European powers duked it out. It was considered a European problem. Those Americans who hopped over into the fray (i.e. the Lafayette Escadrille) were looking for adventure rather than supporting political ideals. When we did get involved, it was late in the proceedings. Also, very few of us (quite obviously!) are in contact with people of that era. No exposure=lack of interest.

2-in WWII, the United States was attacked! (Sound familiar?). What more dramatic way to capture a nation's attention! We still have access to those who participated in the event who can still relate their experiences to us. And then there are the baby boomers (like me---my dad served in the navy and experienced kamikaze attacks in the Battle of Leyte Gulf) who knowingly or unknowingly serve as advocates for their experiences since we grew up hearing the stories and exploits of our mothers and fathers. WWII is still contemporary enough to pass on the knowledge first hand to the current generation.

This IMHO.

JON9000
04-03-2007, 04:27 PM
I think WWII is considered cool is because it seems like a "Good" versus "Evil" sort of conflict. Also, in many ways it was the last conventional war, which has become more or less obsolete in the nuclear age. Actually, the romanticization of war flat out sucks.

"As long as mankind shall continue to bestow more liberal applause on their destroyers than on their benefactors, the thirst of military glory will ever be the vice of exalted characters."

Think about it.

seanmcfripp
04-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Especially the elliejabbapop. She's a stunner!:thumbsup: ;)

* boyoingyoingyoing *

Oh man, so hot. She looks just like Sofia Coppolla in my mind.

CaptainSolo1138
04-04-2007, 01:35 PM
* boyoingyoingyoing *

Oh man, so hot. She looks just like Sofia Coppolla in my mind.Seriously?! I always pictured some chick with a hairy mole on her cheek.

Today I teach a lesson on "The Origins of WWII in Europe". I could do the damn thing off the top of my head, but silly requirements mean I actually have to submit a lesson plan.:p

Rocketboy
04-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Today I teach a lesson on "The Origins of WWII in Europe". I could do the damn thing off the top of my head, but silly requirements mean I actually have to submit a lesson plan.:pLesson plans are for housewives and little girls.

seanmcfripp
04-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Seriously?! I always pictured some chick with a hairy mole on her cheek.

Sorry, my bad. Meant to say she looks like Sofia Coppolla...with a hairy mole on her cheek.

* boyoingyoingyoing *

Whoah, this is getting to be to much. Where's that ice pack?

JimJamBonds
04-05-2007, 12:35 AM
I think WWII is considered cool is because it seems like a "Good" versus "Evil" sort of conflict.

I'm not sure about cool but its certainly easier to understand. Also there is more footage of WWII then ANYTHING else in the world (although the NFL will surpass WW II one of these days) so there is plenty to 'see' compared to the grainy footage of WW I.

Slicker
04-05-2007, 02:15 AM
I'm not sure about cool but its certainly easier to understand. Also there is more footage of WWII then ANYTHING else in the world (although the NFL will surpass WW II one of these days) so there is plenty to 'see' compared to the grainy footage of WW I.This is very true but there's still something about seeing WWI in footage and pictures (especially color ones for the later). Just seeing those men run off in endless lines to what will most likely be there death. Scary stuff.