PDA

View Full Version : GalacticHunter joins Action-Online

Kidhuman
01-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Yes, you read it correctly. Here is the scoop (http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=6&show_article=1508&nl=1) Thoughts on this?

Slicker
01-16-2007, 09:26 PM
I hope Action On-Line is as good to them as they were to us.:thumbsup:

Rocketboy
01-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Ha! Suckers!

Jargo
01-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Timbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr!!!!

InsaneJediGirl
01-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny......

Kidhuman
01-16-2007, 09:57 PM
I just hope they dont get invaded with Earth-2 counterparts.

2-1B
01-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Blood sucking leech hosts are awesome, every site should have one.

Darth Jax
01-16-2007, 11:28 PM
tis a shame RS didn't join as well

El Chuxter
01-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Didn't see that one coming. I wonder if Action Online was courting other SW sites.

Too bad Optimus Prime already sacrificed his life. Otherwise he would've been able to bail them out of this mess.

kool-aid killer
01-17-2007, 12:32 PM
I like GalacticHunter's "Figure of the Day" feature. I always wonder how JT would rate some of the figures.

darthvyn
01-17-2007, 01:49 PM
i have a feeling that only general zod, john madden, batman, richard simmons, bob ross and zero can save them now...

Jargo
01-17-2007, 02:34 PM
The figure of the day is about all GH has going on right now. it's really a 'no news day' feature used to fill the gaps. same as RS has their collectors collections.

And I have a feeling that not even McGiver could save them.

Kidhuman
01-17-2007, 05:28 PM
i have a feeling that only general zod, john madden, batman, richard simmons, bob ross and zero can save them now...

Just to bad they are under contract with another site.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-17-2007, 06:20 PM
This was a bad move on their parts. Didn't they learn anything from the sites that have fallen in the past?

mabudonicus
01-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Who's parts, Madden, Ross and company???

:mebs:Isobaws&

JediTricks
01-17-2007, 06:54 PM
I was very surprised to see Galactic Hunter join with Action Online, but once I thought about it, it wasn't that unusual, a few years ago Mike Sullenger who owns GH sold his previous Star Wars site and forums - the Bount Hunters Collective - to Rebelscum's Phil Wise, then a few months later left and created GH.

I like GalacticHunter's "Figure of the Day" feature. I always wonder how JT would rate some of the figures.Poorly. I'm a negative nelly. ;) I'd burn out for sure, I dunno how Pawlus does it every day, plus, I'd blab on and on and on about some figures to the point where you'd all want to kill me.

figrin bran
01-18-2007, 01:01 AM
Poorly. I'm a negative nelly. ;) I'd burn out for sure, I dunno how Pawlus does it every day, plus, I'd blab on and on and on about some figures to the point where you'd all want to kill me.

how do you know we don't already? :p :D

Tycho
01-22-2007, 12:04 PM
This is interesting. I was friends and trading partners with Mike Sullenger since 1999 - hehe - we met over an altercation at Wal-Mart concerning the exclusive 12" Sith Speederbike Darth Maul (I had the last 2, one was for me, one was promised to my friend Tony whom I'd just gotten off the phone with after having made pay-back arrangements if I picked it up for him).

During movie releases, he was an important source for me to get stuff early, as his website was more his hobby, and he'd order stuff from Hong Kong and pay through the nose for it so that he could photograph it for his sites:

CollectStarWars.com was the first
GalacticHunter.com is the current.

HuntersGuild.com was Mark Hurray's site (currently of Rebelscum), who is also a friend that I used to do joint-site expanded universe action figure polls with when I was writing Rogue's Gallery and came over to SirStevesGuide from YakFace in 1996. (I was on Yak for less than a year, and Steve gave me the tech support and encouragement I needed here).

Anyway, Mike has been very silent for a long time now. I know his family, a wife and children, are his priority, as is his rising career. I think Star Wars was his main love up and through the end of the prequel movie era, and now Galatic Hunter has moved on to being almost entirely staff supported - I don't see Mike being nearly as intimately involved with it as he used to be in 2005 and prior.

Thus he might be preparing to distance himself from Galactic Hunter as well, though I don't know if his contract with Action-Online suggests that he sold it. You never know though.

But the owner of Action-Online, Jim Dolan, wanted to make drastic changes to SirStevesGuide that Steve wouldn't allow - a total commercialization of what was a fan site and Steve's brain-child. I think Steve still has his heart in Star Wars and action figure fandom, and thus he cares enough which is what our site's big fight for survival last April / May was all about, through our MySpace refuge and JediTricks' holding site SWCollecting.com.

Mike Sullenger might have moved past his greater interest in Star Wars. He seemed to want to before, during the period when CollectStarWars.com merged with Rebelscum, but then wanted his independence back from Phillip Wise. As an old friend, I hope that he is comfortable with his choice, else I wonder if we'll see him restart a site once his enthusiasm gets rejuvenated by the two television series that are eventually coming.

I came to see Action-Online as a business venture, ran with folks I actually always did get along with, but my loyalty and dealings were almost exclusively with Steve and I've stood by him for 11 years and have no plans to change that.

Because Mike is here in San Diego, and I traded with him as one of the members of my inner-collecting circle, and I suppose because my work was respected (with the comics & books reporting - this is before I became insane, mind you), I was made offers to join CSW and GH on several occasions. Ordinarily, I would have. I liked Mike and have been friends with him for 8 years. But like I said, I have a longer loyalty to Steve and that means something to me (and hopefully hasn't annoyed Steve and JediTricks too much ;) )

Meanwhile, I was familiar with Adam Pawlus from the JediNet days and YakFace - I used to read his interviews with Jen Donahoe from Hasbro at some site (Adam worked with Jen when they were younger and in the fast-food services, then Jen got into Kenner and with it, Hasbro). I think he has contributed tremendously to GH and kept that site going as Mike has retreated from personal involvement. Adam's Q&A's are more interesting to me than his Figures of the Day (which I've suspected before as being covert opportunities for him to market-fish for Entertainment Earth orders - his paid job). I've personally met Adam and his wife (nice folks) and communicate with him via e-mail every once in a while (about Transformers, too). But I wonder if the Pawlus couple is suspicious of me as an "enemy website soldier for SSG" or something? Granted, I'm a wierd dude when I want to be, but I don't usually act up around folks that are more of strangers to me - so they should think I am actually as sane as everyone else. I don't know. But I just always thought Adam wasn't particularly comfortable with me - though I don't see myself as a rabid fanboy that would walk up to him and ask him if he thought a Jawa or an Ugnaught would win in a fight.

Meanwhile, Adam, for mixed business interests and fandom (as I see both in him) is holding Galactic Hunter together. I think a move to Action-Online could further commercialize it and make it less collector friendly. Without a Star Wars property, Action-Online seemed to have taken a serious decline in hits and updates since the departure of SirStevesGuide.

While Steve's spin-off work, ActionFigs.com has made very slow gains in forum user registry (compared to SSG which boasts a tidal wave!) I've seen Action-Online get rather desperate. ActionFigs is the way you run a collector / fan site. However, even Steve hasn't seemingly been able to compete with his own creation, SirStevesGuide, which I see with Rebelscum as the last two standing powerhouse action figure fan sites, not coincidentally Star Wars based.

I think Galactic Hunter will continue to hold the loyalty of its forum users' fan base - they are a community over there like we are here. However, this smells of Action-Online's desperation for traffic gained from a Star Wars site, as well as GalacticHunter's decline (but not demise). GH could indeed make a comeback. They have a strong community and good people working there. It will be interesting to see if Action-Online has learned how to respect that, after having lost US.

Meanwhile, though Super Heroes and WWF stuff have been longtime staples in collecting, as has GI Joe, I suspect that Transformers will be the new power driver that takes us into the 2010's (if Michael Bay doesn't destroy the franchise) and therein lies fan website's future. ActionFigs could make a really great play for that with intense Transformers coverage, but sites like TFW2005.com and other all-Transformers sites are going to grow rapidly fast beginning this year. Those better be one hell of some good SW TV shows for fandom to stay One with The Force and not permanently move into orbit of Cyberton.