PDA

View Full Version : What did you save?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Some of us (we? as an English teacher, I still get that wrong sometimes) old geezer SW collectors were around when the toys were retail products, not really secondary market yet. When you decided to resume collecting (unless you had a DeLorean with a functioning flux capacitor :p ), what did you begin with? Were you a smart one who stored everything in a temperature-controlled room, sealed in the packages? Did your mom keep everything in an attic for you, or was it dripping with fungus and spiders? :eek: Was it one Rancor Keeper, sans headress and left arm?

List away, if you can remember back that far! :wavy lines:

Kidhuman
01-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Well, I saved all my vintage figures, I also had Jabba but not the rest of the playest. The Rancor, AT-ST, Taun Taun, Wampa and some other stuff as well.

I lost in moves the following:

Millenium Falcon
TIE Fighter(Pop off wings)
Hoth, Tatooine, Cantina playsets
2 Imperial Attack bases.
Carded Snaggletooth
Carded Ackbar(both ROTJ)
X-Wing fighter

and some other stuff too.

DarkArtist
01-18-2007, 08:49 PM
I had most of all the original figures and a speeder bike. first vintage purchase was a POTF Luke Stormtrooper and Han Carbonite for $50 and a AT-ST.

stillakid
01-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question exactly, but I arrived into adulthood with everything that I had collected during childhood. That was most of the action figures minus most of the ROTJ coin figures. I also still have my Falcon, Landspeeder, and Slave I all in their original boxes. I think that everything else I have (vintage) are things I picked up b/n 1985-ish and now.

bobafrett
01-18-2007, 09:10 PM
I have very little from my childhood. Most of my stuff was either lost in various moves, or thrown out by my dad. The main problem I had was lack of income, and no one in my family to support my now iout of control habit. I have a few figures from Empire, most of my vintage was from ROTJ. I also have a 12" Darth Vader loose from Venture. My brother was nice enough to donate it to me.

Rogue II
01-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Saved:

Hammerhead
Hoth Han
Han Solo (big head)
Luke X-Wing Pilot
Ugnaught
Snowtrooper
Stormtrooper
Jawa
Ben Kenobi
FX-7 (actually was my little brother's)
R2-D2

When I started collecting again, I re-bought a Vintage Darth Vader. I picked up a Gammorean Guard and Jabba, too, but I didn't have them as a kid.

Prepare to cry, here is what I lost:

Vehicles & Playsets
TIE Fighter
X-Wing
Millenium Falcon
Cloud Car
Dagobah playset
Landspeeder
Death Star Playset
Slave I

Figures
Luke Skywalker
R5-D4
C-3PO
C-3PO (break apart)
Boba Fett x2
Death Squad Commander
Bespin Luke
Yoda
R2-D2 w/ periscope
2-1B
AT-AT Driver
IG-88
Bossk
Greedo
Bespin Guard (white)
Power Droid
Cloud Car Pilot
Bespin Han Solo
12" Boba Fett

:cry:

LusiferSam
01-18-2007, 11:27 PM
I managed to save nearly all of my childhood Star Wars stuff. I have all of my toys, all but one of my books, all of my stickers, and nearly everything else that said "Star Wars" on it. I don't have my Darth Vader costume from when I was 4.

My figures are and were in the following condition as of August of 1995.
Chewbacca: Missing bowcaster (never had it), lot of paint wear and loose limbs. Dirty.
Ben Kenobi: Ripped cape, no lightsaber. Both legs broken.
Darth Vader: 2 copys. First one is missing head, cape and lightsaber and has a lot of paint wear and loose limbs. Second one missing lightsaber tip.
Stormtrooper: Missing gun. Yellowed and left arm was chewed by dog.
Jawa: Complete, other wise a little dirty.
Tusken Raider: Missing cape. Head is loose and paint wear on hands.
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot): Missing gun. Very heavy paint wear and very loose limbs.
Boba Fett: Complete. Paint wear.
IG-88: Complete. Minor paint wear.
Lando Calrissian: Missing gun and head. Ripped cape.
Leia Organa (Bespin Gown): Missing gun and cape. Paint wear.
Yoda: Missing cane, snake, and belt. Ripped coat and minor paint wear.
2-1B: Missing accessories.
R2-D2 (With Sensorscope): 2 copies. First on has no sticker and both legs are broken. Second one has dirty sticker.
4-LOM: Minor rip on coat. Gun and chest plate broken. Head is dirty.
C-3PO With Removable limbs: 2 copies. Both have a lot of chipped paint. One is complete, the other is missing a leg and arm.
Admiral Ackbar: Missing staff. Very minor paint wear.
Bib Fortuna: Missing chest plate.
Chief Chirpa: Missing staff. Paint wear.
Emperor's Royal Guard: Complete and very clean. Staff has a curved bend to it.
Gamorrean Guard: Complete. Ax has paint wear.
General Madine: Missing staff (never had it).
Klaatu: Complete. Minor paint wear
Logray: Missing staff. Pouch is very dirty.
Princess Leia Organa (Boushh Disguise): Missing helmet. Minor paint wear.
Ree-Yees: Missing gun (never had it). Paint wear on eyes.
8D8: A little dirty
The Emperor: Missing cane. Paint wear.
Han Solo (in Trench Coat): Missing gun. Coat was chewed by dog. Some paint wear.
Princess Leia Organa (In Combat Poncho): Missing helmet and gun. Paint wear
Pruneface: Missing cloak. Gun strap was cut. Dirty.
Teebo: Missing ax.
Wicket W. Warrick: Missing spear. Paint wear.
Anakin Skywalker: No coin, he was mail away version.
Warok: Missing head dress. Have coin.

Vehicles, playsets and other toys I have are:
CAP-2: First SW toy. No stickers or gun. One of the suction cups was broken off.
Jabba the Hutt: Missing stem off the pipe.
Ewok Village: Original strings were replaced long a gone. No fire sticker. Split peg is broken and spit legs are broken.
Rancor Monster: A little dirty.
Desert Sail Skiff: Missing one sticker. Foot peg is warn, as is the boom.
Vinyl storage case: The '82 ESB version. The snap is broken off and some seams have opened up.
C-3PO Case: This is were I store my original figures. Sticker at applied and a few of the braces are loose. Paint wear.
Chewbacca Bandolier Strap: Complete. Both weapon cases are dirty on the inside. Some of the foam has come loose, but it's all there and in tacked.

The last figures I bought as a kid were Klaatu and Admiral Ackbar at a KB Toys in '88 (a two for $1 deal). I pasted on the B-Wing Pilot (again). I starting collecting in August of '95 when I bought a Dagobah playset. But it was only after I found eBay in November of '97 did I really start getting stuff. I didn't win my first SW item, Jedi Luke, until October of '98 though.

Kidhuman
01-18-2007, 11:45 PM
I also have various 12" figs from childhood, all incomplete

stillakid
01-19-2007, 12:01 AM
I also have various 12" figs from childhood, all incomplete

So what, they're all 11"?

Kidhuman
01-19-2007, 06:37 AM
9.75", but who's complaining?

vader121
01-19-2007, 07:31 AM
I was able to save almost all of my Star Wars toys (along with all the others) from when I was a kid. Somehow I lost the Vader case but I may have put that in a garage sale at some point as I didn't like it as a kid because all the figures would fall out of one side every time.

I actually have sold/traded almost all of my original toys as most were in played-with condition. Only have a few that I could call my original figures left in my collection. I actually sold my first figure several years ago. It was R2 that I got when I was like 4-5 (I was born in '73). It was really rough. In hindsight i should've kept it but oh well.

There were lots of things I didn't have as a kid and I saved the original ESB At At box because I stored other toys in it. It's really rough now but I still have it. Everything else got thrown away including the cardbacks when I was a teenager. I had saved them all even going back to a few ANH cardbacks (Stormtroopers) but I decided to toss them. Most had the pop still in them. Should've kept them but you know how that goes.

dindae
01-19-2007, 09:18 AM
I do still have most of my figures. I gave away a few that I had duplicates of to another collector a few years ago. I also still had my Cloud Car (which is nice since I don't have to wait on Hasbro), AT-ST, and the base of the Hoth playset (the carboard AT-AT one). I traded most of my vehicles away as a kid for GI Joe stuff. I believe I actually have more weapons than I do figures. I was pretty anal as a child and didn't want to loose the weapons but wound up loose some figures.

Old Fossil
01-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Great thread!

I have no SW toys left over from childhood. Around '82-'83 my parents began filling my head with the idea that I was too grown up for them. How absurd! I ended up giving most of what I had to my little brother, who over a very short period of time managed to lose or destroy all of them. Poor Bossk, I last remember seeing him partially buried in a gravel pit somewhere...

JON9000
01-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Every vehicle I ever had we got rid of. It's really not so bad, most of them had been heavily played with and were pretty trashed. I held onto almost every figure I had, about 50 or so, even though only about 4 of them had weapons.

For those of you who have poked around my little thread/blog on the joys of getting all the vintage figures, you know that the early days of my quest were spent simply getting weapons, capes, and hoods to complete what I already had.

Droid
01-19-2007, 10:30 AM
I still have everything I had as a child, but I had all figures and no vehicles as a kid. My parents felt we didn't have the space.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Stilla, the question was to see if people let some of their stuff go, had it taken, lost it somehow, sold it for magic beans, etc. I, too, saved everything I had, but it was an incomplete collection at that time (only 2 POTF figs, very few vehicles aside from Mini Rigs). It's now complete figure-wise, but I own more (not all... yet :evil: :greedy: ) playsets, vehicles, carry cases, etc. than I did before.

Basically what I had, Kenner-wise, was:
- all original the SW, ESB, and ROJ figures (minus those crazy variants) and POTF Anakin and Lando General, Rebo Band, but often missing accesories and/or limbs/heads/fingers.
- several "loved" vehicles (Falcon, X-Wing [with only 2 wings ??], Cloud Car, Landspeeder, Snowspeeder, AT-ST, Vader TIE, Slave1, Speeder Bike).
- all non-POTF Mini Rigs except CAP-9, Endor Ranger, mini Skiff, and that Power Generator.
- C3PO and Vader carry cases.
- playsets (Action Arena [? the stand with SW and ESB mini cardboard backgrounds], Land of Jawas sand and pod, Jabba throne).

I think that was it.