PDA

View Full Version : B-Wing #6208 Review

Slicker
01-18-2007, 07:27 PM
I just got done building the B-Wing and it took me just over an hour. It seems that I build at about 400+ pieces an hour averaging the AT-ST and B-Wing together. So with that logic the Barge should take me just under 2 hours.

The B-Wing, like the AT-ST, is a vast improvement on the original. It stands about 18"+ in the gantry holder and has a wing span of about 14" so it's fairly good sized.

It was a decent and fun set to put together with very few repetitive steps (the wings being about the only ones and they're mirror images) and nothing that was too confusing.

The holder is a clever little thing that holds the B-Wing perfectly upright and "molds" itself around the bottom laser. The sider sings rest on the walkway thus making it quite stable.

The only "action features" it has is the rotating cockpit (a simple criss-cross stud passed through a 3-hole/4 stud piece) and 2 firing missles (a simple pull back method. You pull back the engine mechanism which has a rubberband connected to a rammer. It thus pushes the missles out with force).

Overall grade: B+/A- (it's tough to decide as I HATE firing missles)

I also got Jabba's Sailbarge so when I put that together (sometime next week) I'll do another review. :)

Ji'dai
01-23-2007, 01:26 PM
I liked this version too. I thought the gantry was a bit flimsy, especially when you're trying to connect or disconnect the fighter from it. I think the cockpit is basically the same as in the original.

Kidhuman
01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
I have gotten this set the other day on clearance but havent put it together yet. Gotta find a place to put it first.

Slicker
01-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Here's some pictures I just took:

Spread Eagle (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/Star%20Wars%20LEGO/DSC00573.jpg?t=1169580504)

Standing Upright (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/Star%20Wars%20LEGO/DSC00572.jpg?t=1169580542)

Firing Mechanism (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/Star%20Wars%20LEGO/DSC00571.jpg?t=1169580565)

Wing Span (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/Star%20Wars%20LEGO/DSC00569.jpg?t=1169580590)

Height (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/Star%20Wars%20LEGO/DSC00568.jpg?t=1169580614)

Kidhuman
01-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Slick, would you say the bas of it standing up(in the second pic is about 4 inches across? Trying to figure out some space for it.

JediTricks
01-24-2007, 08:07 PM
I liked this version too. I thought the gantry was a bit flimsy, especially when you're trying to connect or disconnect the fighter from it.Yeah, I feel the same way, it's always coming apart on me when cracking in half, never does it right.

I think the cockpit is basically the same as in the original.Sadly similar, though at least this one has the lasers on the front, is a little longer, and has slightly more detailing.

I really hate those kinds of missiles with the new B-wing though, they always fall out when whooshing.

Slicker
01-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I really hate those kinds of missiles with the new B-wing though, they always fall out when whooshing.If you look on the lower portion of the gantry on the right side in the pic you'll see that they have a place to hold the missles so you don't need 'em in the B-Wing itself.

JediTricks
01-25-2007, 01:10 AM
That's exactly where mine have been living since the day I got this set. :D

There's another set I have with these, the Fire Hammer from the Mutant Dinos line, that one at least is a truck so it's not supposed to be whooshed but the gimmick still doesn't do it for me (well, the rapid-fire at ballistic trajectory does a little, something it borrows from the Vikings ship). I hate the new uncovered disk launchers the most though, disks are always falling out.

seanmcfripp
01-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Here's some pictures I just took:

Spread Eagle

How is it that Chuxter didn't jump all over this one with a Slicker's mom joke?

Kidhuman
01-25-2007, 03:33 PM
How is it that Chuxter didn't jump all over this one with a Slicker's mom joke?

Sometimes its just too easy and it needs to be passed up, besides Slickers mom jokes have jumped the shark

Slicker
01-25-2007, 03:38 PM
How is it that Chuxter didn't jump all over this one with a Slicker's mom joke?Hmmm...I think you're right Sean. I didn't even notice that when I put it.

Kidhuman
01-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I dont believe Chux does the Lego thing, so he doesnt read these threads.

LusiferSam
01-25-2007, 06:51 PM
I dont believe Chux does the Lego thing, so he doesnt read these threads.

That's not right. That's not right at all. Chux I order you to buy some legos.

Slicker
01-25-2007, 09:00 PM
So does this mean that we can talk about Chux in here and he'll never know?

Wow, this opens up a whole new world for me.

figrin bran
01-26-2007, 02:31 AM
We can probably talk about Chux in the Pics of Vintage 30th anniversary figures thread as well since he's boycotting them and will probably read only the boycott thread :p

and if we want to talk about Tycho, we can probably do so in the NFL thread since the Chargers are out of it. ;)

now just to stay on topic, i think i might get the B-Wing set next time i see it. i was originally going to get it around christmas time but the darn things sold out.

Tenric78
02-04-2007, 02:07 PM
I got mine over christmas and discovered a wonderful thing while building it. My g/f joined in and now likes building Legos! Now I don't have to justify buying a set since she knows its fun.

Oh yeah... the gantry is nice but super flimsy. Mine fell apart after I shipped it to myself (long story) and I had a hell of a time putting it back together, the dang thing kept falling apart in my hands.

Slicker
02-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Congrats on the nerdy GF! I need to find me one of them...

I initially thought the gantry would be weak but mine seems to be holding out fine.

Tenric78
02-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Congrats on the nerdy GF! I need to find me one of them...

I initially thought the gantry would be weak but mine seems to be holding out fine.

She's not overly nerdy, just enough to be understanding of my nerdiness. I don't think I could be in a relationship where I'd have to compete at being top nerd hehe.

Yeah, its holding up fine now next to my monitor, but for some reason the damn thing would keep breaking apart in my hands when I was trying to reassemble it.