PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to Japan.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Slicker
01-18-2007, 10:13 PM
I leave on March 22 to go to Japan for 3 years. I'm gonna be stationed aboard the USS Kitty Hawk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Kitty_Hawk_%28CV-63%29) in Yokosuka, Japan. It's the oldest commisioned ship in the Navy...save one, the USS Constitution...yes THAT USS Constitution.

The "good" news is that in 2008 the Kitty Hawk is being decommisioned and being replaced by the USS George Washington (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_George_Washington_%28CVN-73%29) which is one of the newer boats in the fleet.

I'm not sure about my internet access and, most damaging of all, I'm probably gonna have to give up collecting all together, or at least for 3 years.:cry:

It'll be tough but I'm the one that signed on the dotted line and joined up. It could be worse. I could be on the ground like chrisc and SK99 and the 10,000's more soldiers.

Wish me luck!

bobafrett
01-18-2007, 10:16 PM
:( Best of luck to you Slicker! :D

Darn, no more Slickers mom jokes. :(

El Chuxter
01-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Well, you already have the avatar for it.

:ninja:

2-1B
01-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Good luck Slick from JimJam and I (he's sitting here next to me right now). :(

Take care out there on the Kitty Hawk and if you DO get interweb access, you need to check in and post how you are doing ! ! ! :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Best of luck to ya. My buddy was stationed out East for about 9 months or so. He was part of the first group to land in South Korea in X amount of years; very interesting stuff. take it easy! :thumbsup:

InsaneJediGirl
01-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Good luck to you Slick! Stay safe out there

kool-aid killer
01-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Take it easy. Japan should be a fun place to hang out at for three years, unless Godzilla decides to attack. In which case it was nice knowing you. :(

:D

JetsAndHeels
01-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Good luck Slicker.

You are a good friend and I wish nothing but the best for you. :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
01-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Well Slick, you know I wish you the best of luck. If there is anything you need collecting wise, just LMK and I can grab it for you. We can work out details later on.

Or you will have one hell of a Christmas when ya visit.

Rocketboy
01-19-2007, 01:22 AM
I know the odds are slim, but I really hope you can get some leave for Brian's wedding in September.
The bachelor party won't be the same without you. If you're not there, I'll say "Hi" to "Scarlett" for you at the Bay Road Ballet.

Remember Cappy's bachelor party?
He doesn't!
Haw!

darthvyn
01-19-2007, 09:27 AM
damn, man! well, hopefully you will have webbernet access and this won't be a problem.

as for being sent into active duty, at least you'll be out of the fray!

dindae
01-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Take care out there. Watch out for those Korean nuclear tests.

mabudonicus
01-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Slick, if you don't get 'net access, you should just pout until they hook you up, missing ya for 3 years is too long!! :mebs:

And the best part, the tic tac will be like a one-eyed man in the land of blind folks, if you know what I mean, it's all about perspective ;)
:beard:Isoabws&

Rogue II
01-19-2007, 10:54 AM
You should have joined the Air Force. Guaranteed internet access is part of the deal. ;)

Jargo
01-19-2007, 11:18 AM
He's not gone yet. goodbyes are a bit premature.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Slicker
01-19-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the best wishes fellas (and our resident lady, IJG). I'm pretty sure I'll have net access but I don't know how long I can be on (hell I could pi** away an entire day on the net).

Well Slick, you know I wish you the best of luck. If there is anything you need collecting wise, just LMK and I can grab it for you. We can work out details later on. Thanks, KH. I may just take that deal. If it's not too much burden I'd just paypal ya money or something. We'll have to work out details later. I've always got Cappy and RB back home to shop too.

He doesn't!
Haw!
One of the few things I remember is seeing what he ate at Hooters...TWICE!

And the best part, the tic tac will be like a one-eyed man in the land of blind folks, if you know what I mean, it's all about perspective ;)
:beard:Isoabws&I've already thought of that. I'm gonna be the John Holmes of Japan!!!

JON9000
01-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Hopefully you'll be able to get off the boat for some shore leave. I hear Tokyo at night is like walking around in Bladerunner. It sucks to go, but it could also be an incredible experience. Best of luck, mate.

pegger
01-19-2007, 02:28 PM
It's Japan - the land overflowing with Star Wars figs!!! And internet!

Hope you have a great time, and come home safe. The boards will be less entertaining without you...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Damn, that sucks. Japan seems pretty cool though, if they let you off the boat much. Be sure to check in here and there.

Hopefully you'll at least be able to hook up with some sweet Japanese schoolgirls. :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
01-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Hopefully you'll at least be able to hook up with some sweet Japanese schoolgirls. :thumbsup:

Aw, you beat me to it.

Good luck, Slick! I don't think you'll have to worry about the internet over there. It's the land of technology. So it's goodbye for a bit.

El Chuxter
01-19-2007, 04:27 PM
I think I beat you both to it over PM earlier.

:beard:

LusiferSam
01-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Have a good time while your there. Sure, you'll be working most of the time and on a US military base (or ship seeing is how your Navy, right?) But I can tell you you'll have the time of your life. I was recently there and it was amazing. I can't tell you a darn thing about anywhere, other than were I was. But still it will be a good experience. Touch base with us when you can. Best of luck.

CaptainSolo1138
01-19-2007, 05:28 PM
I expect vending-machine-bought soiled schoolgirl undies sent "home" within a month of your arrival.

If you're not there, I'll say "Hi" to "Scarlett" for you at the Bay Road Ballet.I thought she moved?

He doesn't!
Haw!Ha......ha......ha......:rolleyes: :p

Val Da Car
01-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Slicker,

I have and had family in the Military. (Brother, Extended Family in all branches)

If you want something and can't get it in Japan, I will hold it for you.

No problem no questions asked just PM me when you are back and have space for it.

Thank you for serving in OUR Military.

:thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
01-20-2007, 01:04 AM
Good luck Slick and be safe and thanks for serving!

Mike

El Chuxter
01-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey, Slick!

Japan just called.

They said you're welcome, but leave your mom here.

UKWildcat
01-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Like I've told you before Slick, I hope all goes well... You will definitely be missed and the forums won't be the same without you, friend. :(

Rogue II
01-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey, Slick!

Japan just called.

They said you're welcome, but leave your mom here.

"Godzilla" is a Japanese word that roughly translates to "Slicker's Mom."

El Chuxter
01-21-2007, 12:14 AM
I thought it was "Mothra."

2-1B
01-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Slick, if you don't get 'net access, you should just pout until they hook you up, missing ya for 3 years is too long!! :mebs:

OR he could just put my Carrier Pigeons idea to work...

Rocketboy
01-21-2007, 09:19 PM
I thought it was "Mothra."You're thinking of "Slicker's Mothra" which, oddly enough, is a tasty Japanese dessert.

JimJamBonds
01-22-2007, 12:46 AM
Hey Slick are you nervous about having to deal with Neptune or have you already shed the title of Polliwog?

Phantom-like Menace
01-22-2007, 01:29 AM
I'm sure as far as the SSGers go, this is not "sayonara" but simply "jaa mata." Or in our more familiar Gaijinese: this is not "goodbye" but simply "later."

CaptainSolo1138
01-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Hey Slick are you nervous about having to deal with Neptune or have you already shed the title of Polliwog?
I actually brought that up to him over Christmas! I don't want to answer for him, but I'm sure someone already has a bar of soap in a sock with his name all over it.:p

JimJamBonds
01-23-2007, 12:42 AM
I actually brought that up to him over Christmas! I don't want to answer for him, but I'm sure someone already has a bar of soap in a sock with his name all over it.:p

I likes the way you think there Cap! :p

Ji'dai
01-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Doesn't sound that bad an assignment. There are women on board these ships now ain't there? Plus your daily ration of grog to look forward to.

And in a few years, President Hillary will transfer the lot of you to the HMS Eleanor Roosevelt in Puget Sound. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid.

Slicker
01-23-2007, 02:56 PM
There are women on board these ships now ain't there? Technically, yes there are women...but...

Plus your daily ration of grog to look forward to.I wish!! I think they got rid of the daily ration back in the 80's.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Enjoy your stay in Japan there Slicker. Before you know it, your three years will fly by there, you and your geisha girl will be the proud parents of Japanese female twins, and you'll be indoctrined into the ways of the Yakuza.

Slicker
02-28-2007, 12:08 AM
I figured I'd kick this back up as I'm on my 2 weeks notice for the forums. :cry:

I leave Virginia on March 13th and don't know if I'll be able to get back on after that.

It's also almost my 3 weeks notice for being in the states as I leave on March 21st. :cry::cry:

El Chuxter
02-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Oh shut up.

You just want the attention. People like you make me SICK!

CaptainSolo1138
02-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Two weeks from today you get to see the Wings and Predators. You make me sick.

Kidhuman
02-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Wings and Preds, go Voukoun

2-1B
02-28-2007, 08:33 PM
here's your going away present in my sig line, little buddy. :cry:

be sure to tell your lousy wh*re of a brother to post updates on you that I expect you will be giving him while you are away.

Slicker
02-28-2007, 09:07 PM
here's your going away present in my sig line, little buddy. :cry:

be sure to tell your lousy wh*re of a brother to post updates on you that I expect you will be giving him while you are away.Yeah, I'll have him updating. I'm sure I'll be able to get on once in a while too. It's not like I'm gonna be completely cut off from the world.

Rocketboy
02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I'll have him updating. I'm sure I'll be able to get on once in a while too. It's not like I'm gonna be completely cut off from the world.Yeah right. Since when do they have technology in Japan?

Jargo
03-01-2007, 07:50 PM
*sings quietly in a trembling faltering voice*

It must have been cold there in my shadow,
to never have sunlight on your face.
You were content to let me shine, that's your way.
You always walked a step behind.

So I was the one with all the glory,
while you were the one with all the strength.
A beautiful face without a name for so long.
A beautiful smile to hide the pain.

Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

It might have appeared to go unnoticed,
but I've got it all here in my heart.
I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it.
I would be nothing without you.

Did you ever know that you're my hero?
You're everything I wish I could be.
I could fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Did I ever tell you you're my hero?
You're everything, everything I wish I could be.
Oh, and I, I could fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

Oh, the wind beneath my wings.
You, you, you, you are the wind beneath my wings.
Fly, fly, fly away. You let me fly so high.
Oh, you, you, you, the wind beneath my wings.
Oh, you, you, you, the wind beneath my wings.

Fly, fly, fly high against the sky,
so high I almost touch the sky.
Thank you, thank you,
thank God for you, the wind beneath my wings.

*coughs*

bye.

jjreason
03-02-2007, 06:06 PM
New 'tar for the tard as he departs. Take it easy, bro, and be safe out there. :thumbsup:

Slicker
03-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Man, you guys are gonna make me cry.:(

I just can't wait to see this thread after I leave. I'm sure all of my dirty laundry'll be aired.

Jargo
03-02-2007, 07:09 PM
nah they're mailing it all to me. :p

bpr2
03-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Slicker,

You don't know me and I don't post much, but I thought I'd let you know that it won't be bad at all. You will have plenty of time while in port to post here. If you have family, you will live in a townhome and you can get high-speed internet no problem. If you live on the ship/barracks, they have free high-speed connection around the base. Every night , there are about 100 guys online playing WoW (on thier laptops) and such just across the street from where you will be 'parked'. Have no fear people, Slicker won't miss a thing, just give him time to settle in. Enjoy your stay in Japan Slicker. It's not bad at all.

2-1B
03-02-2007, 08:01 PM
I just can't wait to see this thread after I leave.

It'll be here for you to dig up when you get back. :grin:

Slicker
03-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Slicker,

You don't know me and I don't post much, but I thought I'd let you know that it won't be bad at all. You will have plenty of time while in port to post here. If you have family, you will live in a townhome and you can get high-speed internet no problem. If you live on the ship/barracks, they have free high-speed connection around the base. Every night , there are about 100 guys online playing WoW (on thier laptops) and such just across the street from where you will be 'parked'. Have no fear people, Slicker won't miss a thing, just give him time to settle in. Enjoy yor stay in Japan Slicker. It's not bad at all.
Well, that puts me in a better mood. Maybe I won't be gone from the forums that long at all!!

Thanks for the info bpr!:thumbsup:

Kidhuman
03-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Awesome, it will be like old days, excpet Slick will be typing in japanese. Can we get a forum translator for him?

2-1B
03-02-2007, 10:04 PM
"Typing Japanese, Slicker is Typing Japanese, I really think so."

Slicker
03-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Awesome, it will be like old days, excpet Slick will be typing in japanese. Can we get a forum translator for him?Hmmm...that's a keen...observation kid...human.

I shall have to have...my old chum check...that out.

El Chuxter
03-03-2007, 12:47 AM
He'll breakfast at Tiffany's, he'll type to you in Japanese.

Wait, I forgot I'm a prisoner.

I mean, that's what my captive, El Chuxter, would type if I allowed him near a computer!!

THIS I COMMAND!!

bobafrett
03-03-2007, 09:13 AM
It will be just like the Green Day video, where the guy joins the army, and he's fighting over in Iraq, and we'll be your women back home, only you'll be in Japan charming the women, you ho!

bpr2
03-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Hey Slicker,

As for collecting, it's kind of weird. It's a little pricey and somethings can be hard to find. Most 3 3/4 figures are 1000 yen (about $10) and they are the same package, but they slip a card in the bubble(veiwable from the bottom) printed in Japanese. Most can be had at Toys R Us. The cool part is, they get some exclusives. You can also get Kubriks(spelling) and Medicom(but hard to find). I've found wal-mart and target exclusives at TRU. I've also seen Sideshow Anakin there. Battle Packs have been around $35. Every once and a while, they clearance some figures for 300-500 yen ($3 to $5). Ask any other questions you might have and I will try to answer.

mabudonicus
03-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Damn, Slick, what Bpr2 says, it sounds like it's almost exactly like Canada, even the lousy "clearance" prices are similar!!! If I can handle 34 years of Canada, a couple years of Japan is NOTHIN (and they don't have Lanny there either)

And JJ, in case you don't know, that's MY front porch in your current avatar- I have a pic of you standing about 5 feet from where the little guy is sitting, really makes the world seem smaller thinking like that :beard:Isobaws&

Slicker
03-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Hey Slicker,

As for collecting, it's kind of weird. It's a little pricey and somethings can be hard to find. Most 3 3/4 figures are 1000 yen (about $10) and they are the same package, but they slip a card in the bubble(veiwable from the bottom) printed in Japanese. Most can be had at Toys R Us. The cool part is, they get some exclusives. You can also get Kubriks(spelling) and Medicom(but hard to find). I've found wal-mart and target exclusives at TRU. I've also seen Sideshow Anakin there. Battle Packs have been around $35. Every once and a while, they clearance some figures for 300-500 yen ($3 to $5). Ask any other questions you might have and I will try to answer.
Wow, I take it you were either stationed over there or lived? I really appreciate the feedback and help.

As for the collecting I don't think I'm gonna be buying much over their since there's limited space. I may instead rely quite heavily on my SSG brohams here to help out.

Thanks again though.

2-1B
03-03-2007, 04:06 PM
I'll pick up all the new AOTC characters that they make, Slick. :)

Slicker
03-03-2007, 04:11 PM
I'll pick up all the new AOTC characters that they make, Slick. :)Thank you Caesar. You're so awesome to do that.

I'm gonna hold you to that, you realize?

2-1B
03-03-2007, 04:26 PM
If you agree to watch the DVD every week while you are away...then yes. :)

Slicker
03-03-2007, 05:27 PM
If you agree to watch the DVD every week while you are away...then yes. :)You're on sweet cheeks!!!:love:

Kidhuman
03-03-2007, 07:14 PM
(and they don't have Lanny there either)

They have Ranny instead

CaptainSolo1138
03-05-2007, 07:13 AM
They have Ranny insteadHoly carp, KH. That is too funny!

Rocketboy
03-05-2007, 04:35 PM
As I showed Slick moments ago, with stuff like this, Japan may very well rock (http://tvinjapan.com/blog/2007/03/03/high-speed-camera-monkey-perfection/)!

Jargo
03-05-2007, 04:49 PM
monkey? that's no monkey that's a chimp. harumph!

seanmcfripp
03-09-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm surprised no one's talked about this yet: Who's going to watch over the red Love Machine?! Or did you sell it? Please tell me you didn't sell it. Did you at least pull the Flux Capacitor out?

If you still have it, I volunteer to garage it for you. I promise to take it out on the weekends and keep her running well. I won't even bang your mom in it, I promise. She'll be in good hands.

Slicker
03-09-2007, 11:36 AM
My mom (Nicks' mom, no Slicker's) is actually keeping it in her garage at her house. My step-dad said he'd take it out occasionally to keep everything flowing in it.

I'm hoping to save enough sweet mollah in Japan to do some other things to it when I get back.

Rogue II
03-09-2007, 12:01 PM
She'll be in good hands.

His mom or his car?

LusiferSam
03-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Hey Slick, while your over there you need to go somewhere where there are crows. One of the things that really was messing me was the sound of Japanese crows. You have to hear it first hand to believe it.

Slicker
03-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Well, tonight was my going away party, so right now I'm quite inebriated (i.e. drunk off my arse). I had an awesome time with the friends I've made over the last couple of years and I'll sorely miss them. Since I'm drunk as hell I'll get sentimental with you.

The people I've met have been the best friends I've ever had. They've been there for me like no others, and in place of my real family, they've been great substitutes. It's gonna be sad to leave them but I'll have to unfortunately deal with it as I'll deal with it many, many more times throughout my career.

It's just sad to leave great people like this to NEVER see, or probably talk to, them again.

2-1B
03-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Sorry for the transition you are going through, Slick. :(

What's worse is that with your old crew down there, you don't even have internet threads to dig up and revisit.

jjreason
03-11-2007, 11:47 AM
You'll be surprised that some of these friends will pop up at the most interesting and awesome times, Slick. That's what friends do. :thumbsup:

mabudonicus
03-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Speakin of popping up at awesome times JJ-

Slick, are ya ready to try and hammer out a date for our next meetup?? JJ, you'll be here too, sometime next summer, we WILL do it RIGHT (gasmask optional, tho I'm the only "head" in the group so I guess that goes without saying) :beard:Isobaws&

JimJamBonds
03-11-2007, 01:28 PM
The people I've met have been the best friends I've ever had. They've been there for me like no others, and in place of my real family, they've been great substitutes. It's gonna be sad to leave them but I'll have to unfortunately deal with it as I'll deal with it many, many more times throughout my career.

I feel the same way about those here on SSG, but don't feel bad Slick they have the interweb in Japan we can still 'talk' and interact.

El Chuxter
03-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Slicker, it is my understanding that the Japanese have an egg-squisite dish known as the hundred year old egg. I would highly recommend this egg-cellent entree!

2-1B
03-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Is he really gone now ? I got dibs on his bunk. :grin:

Rocketboy
03-15-2007, 12:11 AM
He's semi-gone.
Currently, he is in Michigan (actually he's in Canada as I type this) on his leave before going off to Japan.

JimJamBonds
03-15-2007, 12:13 AM
He's semi-gone.
Currently, he is in Michigan (actually he's in Canada as I type this).

That sounds pretty gone to me, heck he'll be closer in Japan then he will be in the Murder Mitten or in Canada. :p

mabudonicus
03-16-2007, 09:52 AM
He came all the way to Canada and didn't visit ME?!?!?!?!?
What gives??
Seriously, after the hassle you guys got at the border I'm surprised anything less than a mabu-get-down would lure youse back :beard:Isobaws&

CaptainSolo1138
03-16-2007, 12:32 PM
I don't know where it came from, but he was never in Canada. He was at Joe Louis Arena, but never crossed the Ambassador.

2-1B
03-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Murder Mitten, hilarious !

(or....well....at least it WOULD be hilarious if it wasn't about murder :cry: )

CaptainSolo1138
03-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Tonight we celebrate.

Tonight will more than likely be the last time for a good long while that Slick, our other two brothers and I will be together. There's a small get together going on for the kid so everyone can say good bye for now. I have a hunch that it may end with four drunkies (five if RB goes) at Deja Vu (aka "The Bay Rd. Ballet") partaking in some titty watchin'.

From what Nick can gather, though, it sounds like he'll be around for a bit next summer.

2-1B
03-16-2007, 02:19 PM
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA back up a bit now....there are two MORE of you goofy hoopleheads ? :eek:

Why don't they post here? Does SSG have a "Sullivan Rule" of sorts, stating that only half the males in a family can be impressed into service on these Forums? :confused:

CaptainSolo1138
03-16-2007, 02:34 PM
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA back up a bit now....there are two MORE of you goofy hoopleheads ? :eek:

Why don't they post here? Does SSG have a "Sullivan Rule" of sorts, stating that only half the males in a family can be impressed into service on these Forums? :confused:Slick and I are the middle two (he being the younger). Our oldest brother is the least computer literate person I've ever met (the guy would call me every Saturday night during football season to help him figure out how to change his fantasy roster for the next day) and out youngest brother, known affectionately as "White Boy", is much to busy working menial part-time jobs and getting high. He's a classy individual.:rolleyes:

That "Sullivan" bit was hilarious. Slick will appreciate that. I should post his cell number so you guys can run his bill up before he goes.:D

2-1B
03-16-2007, 02:40 PM
What about females, do you have any sisters? If so, would I get slapped for making a Slicker's Sister joke ? :(

Yes, please do post his cell number so I can send him some filthy Text Messages. :)

CaptainSolo1138
03-16-2007, 02:58 PM
What about females, do you have any sisters? If so, would I get slapped for making a Slicker's Sister joke ? :(No sisters at all. That's kinda why I was surprised when Hannahkin showed up. I figured my juice was only gonna sprout boys.

Please dont give out phone numbers on the forum boards as anyone can get it, I removed it, please send it via PM from now on thank you.

2-1B
03-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Did you REALLY post his number? :D

You goof. lol

pegger
03-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Wait a sec - I didn't know you guys were brothers... Does that mean all the slicker's mom jokes will now become Captainsolo1138's mom jokes?

Kidhuman
03-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Well, Slickers mom jokes are still cappy's mom jokes.

Rocketboy
03-16-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't know where it came from, but he was never in Canada. He was at Joe Louis Arena, but never crossed the Ambassador.I though he and his lady...ahem..."friend" stayed overnight in Canada, eh?

have a hunch that it may end with four drunkies (five if RB goes) at Deja Vu (aka "The Bay Rd. Ballet") partaking in some titty watchin'.And you know it! I love going to fund raisers (you know, the ones that benefit local girls going to community college).

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA back up a bit now....there are two MORE of you goofy hoopleheads ? :eek:If you only knew...and well, um, I guess you do know now that Cappy told you.

No sisters at all.Unless you count Slick. Oh snap!

CaptainSolo1138
03-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Wait a sec - I didn't know you guys were brothers... Does that mean all the slicker's mom jokes will now become Captainsolo1138's mom jokes?Nah, Slicker's mom is a separate entity altogether.

Did you REALLY post his number?

You goof. Even if it was edited by a certain crack moderator here, it still ended up in quite a few mailboxes.:thumbsup:

I though he and his lady...ahem..."friend" stayed overnight in Canada, eh?They were going to but found a nice hotel just on the other side of Cobo Hall, affording them a five minute walk to the Joe.

Jargo
03-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Gone.......

*sigh*

Slicker
03-21-2007, 08:03 PM
I haven't left yet...unfortunately...

Of course the Navy made a mistake. :rolleyes:

They never bought my plane ticket from Michigan to Seattle so I had to stay on the phone while they bought me another one that doesn't leave until the morning. The sucky part is that no one I know lives even remotely close enough for them to feasibly come and get me so I spend my last night in an airport...

2-1B
03-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Bollocks !!! :(

You are in the Navy. Shouldn't you be sailing out to Japan? :p

jjreason
03-21-2007, 08:14 PM
That's a kick in the bag, Slick - but it's all in service to God and Country which makes it all worthwhile, right?

No? Okay, I guess that DOES kinda blow then. :D

Safe travels, Homey.

UKWildcat
03-22-2007, 02:30 PM
You are in the Navy. Shouldn't you be sailing out to Japan? :p

Good call! ;)

Be safe Slick!

:cry:

JediTricks
03-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Good call! ;) I'm not sure, but I think it might be difficult to get a ship to float from Michigan to the sea of Japan, they might find it difficult once they get to the end of the Great Lakes. :p

Hopefully the Navy has finally gotten Slick up in the air and safely on his way instead of stuck in an airport.

CaptainSolo1138
03-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Here's the latest: After a carpy night at Detroit Metro, Slick finally got airborne at about noon EST on a straight shot from Chicago to Yokosuka, Japan (is that even possible?!) after the breif jump from Detroit. He will get there Friday afternoon their time (about midnight EST) and hopes to be settled in by Sunday evening. Perhaps then he'll be able to update you jokers (and buy me some vending machine undies) better.

El Chuxter
03-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Are underwear so disposable in Japan that you can just get them in a vending machine?

jjreason
03-22-2007, 06:06 PM
I think they're in the airport there - not sure where I heard/read about that before. Was it in the Tom Hanks movie???

JediTricks
03-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Well, at least he's finally on his way, that's a heck of a long flight though! By the time that plane full of passengers arrives at its destination it's going to smell like a Wookiee in a garbage masher.

Here's a page of Japanese vending machines with a panty machine on it:
http://www.photomann.com/japan/machines/
Weird!

The egg machine and cellphone recharging vaults and robotic deep fryer crack me up the most.

CaptainSolo1138
03-22-2007, 10:21 PM
My wife, an Army brat who lived in Japan for six years, always talks about the beer vending machines. And how men in Japan will "rib themselves for her pleasure" by having Pachinko balls put in on the underside of their little guys.:eek:

2-1B
03-22-2007, 10:39 PM
My wife, an Army brat who lived in Japan for six years, always talks about the beer vending machines. And how men in Japan will "rib themselves for her pleasure" by having Pachinko balls put in on the underside of their little guys.:eek:

I did not know that.

El Chuxter
03-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Put IN? As in subcutaneous?

I'm going to be sick now.

CaptainSolo1138
03-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Yes, right under the skin.

Ick.

2-1B
03-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Can I use Slicker's shovel to bury this thread ?

In the interest of not vomiting ? :cry:

El Chuxter
03-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Let's change the subject instead.

I bet you can get Slicker's Mom in a vending machine in Japan.

2-1B
03-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Not nearly enough of a change of subject.

Jargo
03-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Look - COWS! ---------->:yes:

CaptainSolo1138
03-25-2007, 12:24 PM
I was finally able to talk with Slick last night (about midnight EST, one PM their time). He's living on a ship in port for the first month of his training and isn't allowed to leave base until he completes a course in Japanese culture, with one of the requirements being that you go to Tokyo and find your way back (with an escort I'm assuming).

He was in great spirits and said that its nowhere near as bad as he had feared. He gets three twenty minute phone calls a day for free and has Wi-Fi on the ship he's living on. The only problem is that he always forgets to bring his laptop with him to the commons!:)

He said for me to update youse guys because he has a problem with replying here on his connection. It'll get caught up waiting for his post to be recorded.

pegger
03-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Glad to hear he is safe!!! Greets to him.

Enjoy the sushi. and geishas...

Kidhuman
03-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Awesome, I miss him already. It isnt the same around here without him.

Slickers Mom

Slicker
03-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Let's try this now.

As Cappy said I'm living on a berthing barge right across from the Hawk. I'll be there for a month while I go through indoc then I go to live on the ship.

It's not bad here. It's bright, the weather is great, and the base is clean and has everything I need for now. I've gotta take some pictures but when I do I'll get 'em up here.

UKWildcat
03-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Awesome! Glad you got there safely Slick, and its good to know that it's not as bad as you expected.

Take care buddy! :)

2-1B
03-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Let's try this now.

As Cappy said I'm living on a berthing barge right across from the Hawk.

Jeez, you've been there a few days and you're already spreading your seed? :confused:

JediTricks
03-25-2007, 10:44 PM
As Cappy said I'm living on a berthing barge right across from the Hawk. I'll be there for a month while I go through indoc then I go to live on the ship.Glad to hear you made it there safely and things are working out well so far. Cappy's description of your situation was a lot cooler since it didn't contain the words "barge" or "berthing" - the way you put it, it sounds like you're living on a tugboat full of garbage. ;) (the "berthing" part being the tugboat aspect and the "barge" being the garbage part)

Slicker
03-26-2007, 05:49 AM
the way you put it, it sounds like you're living on a tugboat full of garbage. ;) (the "berthing" part being the tugboat aspect and the "barge" being the garbage part)You aren't far off with that one though, JT...

Slicker
03-26-2007, 06:38 AM
Here are some pics. I've got more too!

Japanese battleship Mikasa (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/SA400025.jpg)

Berthing barge behind the drydocks (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/SA400035.jpg)

Mikasa with the city (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/SA400026.jpg)

My rack 1 (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/SA400041.jpg)

My rack 2 (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/SA400039.jpg)

I recommend reading up on the Mikasa. For a history geek like me it's amazing to have this so close.

Kidhuman
03-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Awesome Slcik, though your rack looks like a Turkish Prison

2-1B
03-26-2007, 07:24 AM
Yeah, watch out for the Guard. :eek:

CaptainSolo1138
03-26-2007, 07:36 AM
Looks down right gorgeous, Slick. I'm feeling less bad for you with each passing minute!:D

Now that poor excuse for a bed on the other hand....

Slick: I took care of all of your fantasy hockey teams for the next week (and took the liberty of shedding some dead wood for you in your old work league) since I wasn't sure if you'd be able to be on it every day.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Sounds like a pretty alright deal, but good luck with that bed.

Rocketboy
03-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Yeah, the bed looks like it sucks.
I doubt you could fit any more than two Japanese chicks in there with you.

JediTricks
03-27-2007, 11:21 PM
You aren't far off with that one though, JT...

Berthing barge behind the drydocks (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/SA400035.jpg)
Based on that picture, it appears the US Navy has you stationed on the Staten Island ferry. ;) So is it really a tugboat/harbor pilot-type vessel?

My rack 1 (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/SA400041.jpg)

My rack 2 (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Hosted%20pics/SA400039.jpg)Wow, all the charm of a WWI-era hospital ship. Is there another bunk beneath yours? Hopefully you don't have to spend any more time than absolutely necessary in a rack that'd make a submariner claustrophobic. At least they gave you a mattress. :p

I recommend reading up on the Mikasa. For a history geek like me it's amazing to have this so close.That's pretty cool about the Mikasa, it's 107 years old, the last of its kind in the world, there's a small picture of her from 1905 on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Mikasa

Slick: I took care of all of your fantasy hockey teams for the next week (and took the liberty of shedding some dead wood for you in your old work league) since I wasn't sure if you'd be able to be on it every day.I dunno why, but that seems funny to me, very telling of our "modern life", I wonder if there's any corresponding type of thing that went on for soldiers during the Korean war or WW2.

Slicker
03-28-2007, 03:06 AM
So is it really a tugboat/harbor pilot-type vessel? Technically my barge is BEHIND this one. The one in the picture is the female berthing but the male berthing is basically the same. They're connected with a plank between 'em. I'm not sure what it is really. I'd have to check on it. The ship number is I believe ALP 40. So whatever ALP stands for is what it was.

Is there another bunk beneath yours? Yep there is another...and another. I'm on the top rack of three. There's about a two foot gap at most between bunks. If not for the opening at the end of my rack I wouldn't even be able to stretch out fully in it.

At least they gave you a mattress. :pTechnically they did. It's about 2 inches thick and when I lay on my side my hip is basically resting on the steel below it. So much for a tempurapedic mattress.

CaptainSolo1138
03-28-2007, 07:30 AM
I dunno why, but that seems funny to me, very telling of our "modern life", I wonder if there's any corresponding type of thing that went on for soldiers during the Korean war or WW2.I'm sure Audie Murphy's brother took care of his Yahoo! baseball team while he was away.:p

Yep there is another...and another. I'm on the top rack of three. There's about a two foot gap at most between bunks. If not for the opening at the end of my rack I wouldn't even be able to stretch out fully in it.I was showing Glenn (a retired sailor that I work with, for those of you not related to me and Slick:) ) and the first thing he said was "Lucky bastard. At least he can sit up. Tell him to quit his b**chin'!"

2-1B
03-28-2007, 11:04 PM
his big chin ? :confused:

I guess he's right, Slick does have a sizeable lower mandible...

CaptainSolo1138
03-28-2007, 11:30 PM
It makes him popular with the rest of the crew.:lipsrsealed:

What? It lends itself well to a good singing voice. Perverts!

Slicker
03-29-2007, 04:34 AM
You guys suck.

I went off base today for the first time for part of the cultural learning and how to use the very, very extensive Japanese rail system. I only took baby steps and I went to Kamakura (pronounced: comma-coo-rah) location of the worlds largest buddha. After that we went to a shrine which had tons more buddhas and then we went to a little Japanese restaurant where the people didn't know how to speak English but were more than willing to try and help in any way possible. The people in this country and soooo nice it's not even funny. While we were eating an older gentleman sat down and then started to talk with us in very broken english. He didn't know much but just the fact that he came up to complete strangers and even attempted to talk with us was something. I'm for surely gonna try and learn as much of the language as possible so that I'm not a typical ignorant
American. I know just basic terms but I'd like to be able to carry on a conversation. I don't plan on being able to read and write however as I've heard that's very tough to learn.

I took tons of pictures which I'm uploading right now so I'll post back with a link to 'em.

Slicker
03-29-2007, 04:57 AM
Since I'm a man of my word, here are the pictures.

Also, a correction. This buddha is only the second largest in Japan.

Pictures!!! (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/)

Lemme know if it doesn't work. Its a public folder but this internet stuff is crazy sometimes.

JediTricks
03-29-2007, 05:24 AM
Technically my barge is BEHIND this one. The one in the picture is the female berthing but the male berthing is basically the same. They're connected with a plank between 'em. Oh man, so many jokes I'm not allowed to make! :p

You actually do anything in regards to running the barge, or is this just where you guys are getting your training on?

I'm not sure what it is really. I'd have to check on it. The ship number is I believe ALP 40. So whatever ALP stands for is what it was.I couldn't find the definitive mention of what it stands for, some possibles:
Accelerated Learning Program
Alternative Learning Programs
Advanced Logistics Program
Articulated Loading Platform
Advanced Logistics Planning
Automatic Life Preserver
Air-Launched Platform

The one that stood out the best was the "Articulated Loading Platform", it sounds "berthing", but I can't imagine why something like that would need a constant crew.

Yep there is another...and another. I'm on the top rack of three. There's about a two foot gap at most between bunks. If not for the opening at the end of my rack I wouldn't even be able to stretch out fully in it. Ugh, hopefully your bunkmates are tolerable then, since you guys are in there like sardines.

Is it solely your rack while you're stationed on the barge, or do you share it with someone on the opposite shift from you?

Technically they did. It's about 2 inches thick and when I lay on my side my hip is basically resting on the steel below it. So much for a tempurapedic mattress.Good ol' Naval hospitality, just think of it like going native: it's a really cheap futon. ;)

I'm sure Audie Murphy's brother took care of his Yahoo! baseball team while he was away.:p Haw! Cannot go wrong with an Audie Murphy reference! Technically, I believe Audie could take care of his own league picks since they were all stationed with him to fight the Kaiser. :D

I was showing Glenn (a retired sailor that I work with, for those of you not related to me and Slick:) ) and the first thing he said was "Lucky bastard. At least he can sit up. Tell him to quit his b**chin'!"Awesome salty sea dog talk! :thumbsup:

It makes him popular with the rest of the crew.:lipsrsealed:
What? It lends itself well to a good singing voice. Perverts!Oh man, I think you just sold your bro down the river if any of his shipmates see that post. ;) What was it they kept talking about in "A Few Good Men", a 'code red'? Wait, that was the Marines.

You guys suck.They're always here to lend a hurting hand.

I went off base today for the first time for part of the cultural learning and how to use the very, very extensive Japanese rail system.First lesson: don't try to use the toilets in the subway, they don't have any toilet paper, you have to buy it ahead of time from a machine.

then we went to a little Japanese restaurant You know, in Japan, I think they're just called "restaurants". ;)

He didn't know much but just the fact that he came up to complete strangers and even attempted to talk with us was something. Sounds pretty friendly and a great start for ya. Just to set the scene and try to put myself in the shoes of the older guy, were you guys in fatigues or regular civvies? I know in some parts of the world, the locals are very outgoing with our military personnel. It looks like from your photos that you all were just in plain clothes though, which lends more to the "just friendly folks" aspect. :cool:

Also, a correction. This buddha is only the second largest in Japan.Oh, well that's just junk then. :p The sign says it's 750 years old, I don't think there's a man-made object in the entire North American continent which is that old.

Great pics Slick, thanks for sharing your adventure with us! I really like the one of the statue in the garden surrounded by dozens of tiny statues all in perfect rows. It's funny how the cityscape in the background doesn't really seem all that different from an American urban area even though you're visiting a very foreign destination.

What's this one? http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Kamakura/?action=view&current=SA400068.jpg

Giant sandals? http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Kamakura/?action=view&current=SA400063.jpg

Dude, there's English writing in this picture on the sign on the left and the characters on the bus! Admit it, you're not in Kanagawa Japan, you're in San Franciso. ;)
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Yokosuka/?action=view&current=SA400048.jpg

Slicker
03-29-2007, 05:42 AM
You actually do anything in regards to running the barge, or is this just where you guys are getting your training on?I just sleep their. We actually have to walk clear over to the other end of the base to get training and such.

I couldn't find the definitive mention of what it stands for, some possibles:
Accelerated Learning Program
Alternative Learning Programs
Advanced Logistics Program
Articulated Loading Platform
Advanced Logistics Planning
Automatic Life Preserver
Air-Launched Platform

The one that stood out the best was the "Articulated Loading Platform", it sounds "berthing", but I can't imagine why something like that would need a constant crew.I knew I forgot something! I tried to come back and edit that last night but the wireless connection was screwy. The ship is actually APL 40. APL means Afloat Berthing Craft (don't ask me how they got APL...)

Is it solely your rack while you're stationed on the barge, or do you share it with someone on the opposite shift from you? Thankfully it's just me...but there have been many others that have slept there before me...

First lesson: don't try to use the toilets in the subway, they don't have any toilet paper, you have to buy it ahead of time from a machine.They actually told us that. BUT, there are people that give toilet paper away. It's got ads and whatnot on it but it's free.

You know, in Japan, I think they're just called "restaurants". ;)I swear that I was gonna edit it out for that very reason. Oh, well...:p

Sounds pretty friendly and a great start for ya. Just to set the scene and try to put myself in the shoes of the older guy, were you guys in fatigues or regular civvies? I know in some parts of the world, the locals are very outgoing with our military personnel. It looks like from your photos that you all were just in plain clothes though, which lends more to the "just friendly folks" aspect. :cool:I was wearing civilian clothes. The base is only like a 20 minute train ride from the city so they probably knew we were all military. I don't think it would matter though. Everyone is just so friendly.

What's this one? http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Kamakura/?action=view&current=SA400068.jpg

Giant sandals? http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Kamakura/?action=view&current=SA400063.jpg
I probably should've labeled 'em. Meh! The first one is actually a picture from INSIDE of Buddha. You pay 20 yen (a little less than 2 cents) and you go in. It's nothing special. There's a very narrow staircase and when you go up about 10 stairs there's a room inside of him that's open. I believe that you pray and leave change kinda like a wishing well. The one thing that I've learned about this country is that they are very religious. The other one you were correct on. They are Buddhas slippers. I'm not sure on the significance of them though. They were ginormous though. Probably 5 or 6 feet tall.

Dude, there's English writing in this picture on the sign on the left and the characters on the bus! Admit it, you're not in Kanagawa Japan, you're in San Franciso. ;)
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Yokosuka/?action=view&current=SA400048.jpgShhhhh!!! That picture is actually DIRECTLY in front of the main gate of the base. The further you go from base the less and less english you encounter. In Kamakura there was very little English used so we just had to point (our instructor, who was born and raised in Japan, said that pointing and gesturing is perfectly fine and the local Japanese do it themselves for us).

I've also learned some interesting things while I've been here.

* If you're eating rice DO NOT leave your chopsticks sticking straight up. That is done at funerals and you will offend people and most likely be asked to leave the restaurant.

* If you're gonna share food with someone DO NOT transfer the food from one set of chopsticks to another. This is done at funerals (the dead are cremated and there are small bones left) where the family uses chopsticks to pass the small bone fragments around from one set to another.

* Men have to squat to pee. The toilets are built into the floor (unless you use a "westernized" one). You can technically stand but there are signs telling you to squat lower. I haven't used one because I know I'd pi55 all over myself.

* If you see a female in a kimono with sleeves with alot of fabric, she's fair game. If she has very little fabric she's taken. The less fabric/taken thing is because the wife has to care for children, cook, do dishes, etc. and she doesn't want the kimono to get wet.

* THEY DRIVE ON THE WRONG DAMN SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!

JediTricks
03-29-2007, 06:43 AM
I just sleep their. We actually have to walk clear over to the other end of the base to get training and such.It made a lot more sense when I saw the next part about APL - it's a barracks craft, so of course no need for you guys to crew it.

I knew I forgot something! I tried to come back and edit that last night but the wireless connection was screwy. The ship is actually APL 40. APL means Afloat Berthing Craft (don't ask me how they got APL...)Apparently, it's a naval hull classification symbol for a barracks craft, possibly for a non-self-propelled one. From what it says here, there's no reason to believe all hull codes are acronyms, so it may or may not stand for anything: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_classification_symbol

Thankfully it's just me...but there have been many others that have slept there before me...Well, that's something. Maybe you should carve a "Kilroy was here" into the bulkhead, leave a little WW2 tradition behind. ;)

They actually told us that. BUT, there are people that give toilet paper away. It's got ads and whatnot on it but it's free.Wow, they're being pretty thorough if they warned you of that, not something I would think to mention to a newcomer to my country - though the public restrooms in most urban US environments are essentially a warning to stay away all by themselves. ;) The giveaway toilet paper is the funniest thing I've heard all day! :D

I swear that I was gonna edit it out for that very reason. Oh, well...:pWas that part of the cultural learning lesson you guys got AFTER you posted? ;)

I was wearing civilian clothes. The base is only like a 20 minute train ride from the city so they probably knew we were all military. I don't think it would matter though. Everyone is just so friendly.That's cool, glad to hear you're in such an inviting port.

I probably should've labeled 'em. Meh! The first one is actually a picture from INSIDE of Buddha. You pay 20 yen (a little less than 2 cents) and you go in. It's nothing special. There's a very narrow staircase and when you go up about 10 stairs there's a room inside of him that's open.Wow, I was going to guess that but thought it'd come off sounding ridiculous! It's like their own statue of liberty... except without the French connection.

I believe that you pray and leave change kinda like a wishing well. The one thing that I've learned about this country is that they are very religious. From what I've seen on TV and in books, they're very different about their religion from most other cultures, it sounds silly to say it this way, but they're very much "zen" about it.

The other one you were correct on. They are Buddhas slippers. I'm not sure on the significance of them though. They were ginormous though. Probably 5 or 6 feet tall.Very cool. I figured that had to be the case, it actually made a lot of sense considering the big statue right by there.

That picture is actually DIRECTLY in front of the main gate of the base. The further you go from base the less and less english you encounter. In Kamakura there was very little English used so we just had to point (our instructor, who was born and raised in Japan, said that pointing and gesturing is perfectly fine and the local Japanese do it themselves for us).Ah, that English thing makes perfect sense then, I believe it's the same in most US military posts on foreign soil, except perhaps Guantanamo in Cuba.

I notice a lot of Japanese tourists here in LA do a lot of pointing as well, I never understood why anybody would take offense at that, it's an effective means of nonverbal communication.

* If you're eating rice DO NOT leave your chopsticks sticking straight up. That is done at funerals and you will offend people and most likely be asked to leave the restaurant.Wild! Did you learn this firsthand? Did they explain the background on why it's like that?

* If you're gonna share food with someone DO NOT transfer the food from one set of chopsticks to another. This is done at funerals (the dead are cremated and there are small bones left) where the family uses chopsticks to pass the small bone fragments around from one set to another.Yikes! I thought it was ok to pass food via the BACK of your chopsticks, guess that's only to pick up food in public.

* Men have to squat to pee. The toilets are built into the floor (unless you use a "westernized" one). You can technically stand but there are signs telling you to squat lower. I haven't used one because I know I'd pi55 all over myself.I've seen this on TV, a world travelling show, it's FREAKY! I absolutely couldn't get used to the floor urinal.

* If you see a female in a kimono with sleeves with alot of fabric, she's fair game. If she has very little fabric she's taken. The less fabric/taken thing is because the wife has to care for children, cook, do dishes, etc. and she doesn't want the kimono to get wet.That's an interesting one, seems a little fashionably limiting perhaps but sounds like it has some ritualistic sense to it. Are there actually a lot of women wearing kimonos around in regular everyday public settings though, or is this more of a "interesting factoid you'll likely never use" sort of thing?

* THEY DRIVE ON THE WRONG DAMN SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!Yeah, so does a lot of the world, it's really weird but I hear you get used to it fast. Just think of it as a one-way street... um, right next to another one. ;)

Well, I'm off for the night (according to the world clock in my cellphone, it's 8:41pm where you are right now Slick). Thanks again for sharing Slick, and stay safe.

CaptainSolo1138
03-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Awesome pics, Slick! I'm really glad to hear that everything is going better than anticipated.

See what you can do about getting them to drive on the right side of the road. You could start a global trend!

mabudonicus
03-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Yeah, this is great fun Slick :D

JT- while reading it, I could't help but imagine Slick learning the chopsticks thing the hard way- I keep picturing a close-up of a bowl of rice with the sticks standing up with the "music's over" record-scratching and lots of gasps, then a pull-back to se Slick sitting there with the whole restaurant staring open mouthed in horror and Slick sayin "Whut???" :beard:Isobaws&

CaptainSolo1138
03-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Mabs: PERFECT scenario! I, too, can see exactly that happening!

darthvyn
03-29-2007, 01:15 PM
* If you're eating rice DO NOT leave your chopsticks sticking straight up. That is done at funerals and you will offend people and most likely be asked to leave the restaurant.

* If you're gonna share food with someone DO NOT transfer the food from one set of chopsticks to another. This is done at funerals (the dead are cremated and there are small bones left) where the family uses chopsticks to pass the small bone fragments around from one set to another.

did you learn these from personal experience? or was it part of some cultural training?

* THEY DRIVE ON THE WRONG DAMN SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!

they're driving on the other side of the world! of course it looks weird, like looking in a mirror!

Tycho
03-29-2007, 05:51 PM
I can't believe I missed this thread before now!

I wish you my best Slicker. Have a good time overseas and thank you for serving. I'm a Navy brat myself and experienced moving with my father and living overseas when I was young.

The pictures and little insights into Japanese culture and Navy-life makes this likely the most interesting thread running on SSG. Congrats to that as well.

I'm glad you can still come online and post. I guess you've found there to be more ammenities and conveniences than you expected, huh?

Phantom-like Menace
03-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Hmm, there's so much to get from this thread, most of it falling down on the floor hysterical. JT, you haven't made me laugh this much since the Extreme Pound of Cheese BK meal.

First, I'm enormously jealous. I'd consider giving my right arm to live in Japan. The first plan I have after getting a Bachelor's Degree is to get a work visa and teach English in Japan.

I don't remember ever hearing why chopsticks stuck in the rice is related to funerals, but my brother and mother joined my Japanese class for dinner one time, and it was the absolute first thing I told them not to do. And when you take food from a communal plate on the table, you want to use the back of the chopsticks, but yes, passing food back and forth with any part of the chopsticks is stricly verboten. I didn't know why until this thread though.

Most island nations drive on the opposite side of the road from us Americans, but I'm not sure why that is.

I'll have to look and see if I can find out exactly what APL stands for, but I know "A" is the hull designation for auxiliary.

Annoyingly I knew nothing about Mikasa. I'm well familiar with Constitution (launched on Oct. 21--my birthday, and Carrie Fisher's) and Victory, but I can weakly make the excuse that I love the Age of Sail and WWII, but have very little interest in the turn-of-the-century and WWI periods.

The Japanese outlook on religion is fascinating. You can have a Shinto ceremony at birth, a Christian ceremony to wed you, and a Buddhist ceremony at your funeral. I mostly find it amusing that your funeral ceremony involves the religion that allows for reincarnation. Very pragmatic.

Slicker
03-30-2007, 03:12 AM
All of the info I've given was given out at our cultural indoc classes. We were there for about 20 hours total listening to several "natives" give us little lessons on etiquette, manners, things to do, things not to do, etc. It was very interesting to say the least.

I'd say that most of the stuff they told us is stuff that most any American wouldn't know and would come here and do therefore they wanna make our experience as painless as possible.

JediTricks
03-30-2007, 06:31 PM
JT- while reading it, I could't help but imagine Slick learning the chopsticks thing the hard way- I keep picturing a close-up of a bowl of rice with the sticks standing up with the "music's over" record-scratching and lots of gasps, then a pull-back to se Slick sitting there with the whole restaurant staring open mouthed in horror and Slick sayin "Whut???" :beard:Isobaws&Well, better that than him reaching out for a bite of food and getting human bones in return. :eek: ;)

Come to think of it though, when was the last time you shared food fork to fork?

Hmm, there's so much to get from this thread, most of it falling down on the floor hysterical. JT, you haven't made me laugh this much since the Extreme Pound of Cheese BK meal.Ooh, now there's a classic I haven't thought about in a while! :D

First, I'm enormously jealous. I'd consider giving my right arm to live in Japan. The first plan I have after getting a Bachelor's Degree is to get a work visa and teach English in Japan.I doubt they'll pay you much for that arm, it might get you to Samoa though. ;)

Most island nations drive on the opposite side of the road from us Americans, but I'm not sure why that is.One can only assume it is because they are ignorant savages. :p

I'll have to look and see if I can find out exactly what APL stands for, but I know "A" is the hull designation for auxiliary.Maybe the "P" is for personnel since it's a barracks craft.

All of the info I've given was given out at our cultural indoc classes. We were there for about 20 hours total listening to several "natives" give us little lessons on etiquette, manners, things to do, things not to do, etc. It was very interesting to say the least.

I'd say that most of the stuff they told us is stuff that most any American wouldn't know and would come here and do therefore they wanna make our experience as painless as possible.I feel a little bad for the locals who have to help indoctrinate you guys, it means they had to observe all the incorrect behavior previous Americans were pulling to figure out what to warn you guys off of doing. :p I hear American tourists are the reason they don't allow beer in the German zoo or hash in Amsterdam cafes anymore, so maybe 20 hours wasn't enough. ;) It'd be quicker if we just made the rest of the world change to accomodate us. :D

Kidhuman
03-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Come to think of it though, when was the last time you shared food fork to fork?

Actually tonight, my wife put some mashed taters from her fork onto mine.

JediTricks
03-31-2007, 05:49 AM
Actually tonight, my wife put some mashed taters from her fork onto mine.
In the immortal words of Darth Whiner: NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Why not just fork to mouth then? (I disagree, that does NOT sound dirty. :p)

Phantom-like Menace
03-31-2007, 08:49 AM
I hear American tourists are the reason they don't allow beer in the German zoo

Ah, hell. What did we do to the animals?:eek:

mabudonicus
03-31-2007, 09:48 AM
P-LM- I think it was what alcohol made some guy do which was followed by what the animals did to him, IIRC

JT- good call, you're right- somehow I never imagined the reverse, tho in that case it would be a long shot of Slick chewing on the bones for a while, not noticing, with everyone staring at him, with Slick having a nervous expression on his face and the voice-over thought "I wish they'd stop starin at me... this stuff tastes like CARP and I wanna spit it out without offending 'em"

Oh and second on the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! (no offense KH :beard: )

:beard:Isobaws&

JediTricks
03-31-2007, 04:10 PM
Ah, hell. What did we do to the animals?:eek:I think they started throwing stuff at either monkeys or bears, getting them all riled up. Either that or the idiot fell into the bear pit, it was about 6 months ago and I can't find the article, apparently it wasn't the first time a foreign tourist got loaded and caused trouble there.

JT- good call, you're right- somehow I never imagined the reverse, tho in that case it would be a long shot of Slick chewing on the bones for a while, not noticing, with everyone staring at him, with Slick having a nervous expression on his face and the voice-over thought "I wish they'd stop starin at me... this stuff tastes like CARP and I wanna spit it out without offending 'em"Heh heh, awesome! And in the distance, a single cricket goes "fleep, fleep".

Tycho
03-31-2007, 05:14 PM
I think they started throwing stuff at either monkeys or bears, getting them all riled up. Either that or the idiot fell into the bear pit, it was about 6 months ago and I can't find the article, apparently it wasn't the first time a foreign tourist got loaded and caused trouble there.

I think it was in the Rancor Pit, but remember the picture of that one guy in action in China (I think), maybe Taiwan, who climbed into a lion's enclosure and started reading them the Bible? The big cats mauled him of course. The female came over first and used 5 claws to imply the "Shut the F Up" verse.

And that guy was sober!

El Chuxter
04-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Slick, did you get the Japanese message on the box I sent you a few weeks ago?

And have you translated it yet? :ninja::beard:

Slicker
04-03-2007, 03:44 AM
I didn't translate it before I left (nor could I do it now). I didn't have internet to cheat so I just assumed that it was a nice pleasant message that didn't involve Slicker's mom.

JediTricks
04-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Oh man, is Chux exporting that joke to foreign soil now? That's gonna cause an international incident for sure! No friendly locals will be talking to you anymore after that Slick. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Oh man, is Chux exporting that joke to foreign soil now? That's gonna cause an international incident for sure! No friendly locals will be talking to you anymore after that Slick. ;)
Sure they will, now that they know the man behind the legend.

El Chuxter
04-04-2007, 11:49 PM

It actually had nothing to do with his mom, but I can't post it here without being banned. ;)

Slicker
04-06-2007, 09:19 PM
I guess I could probably put in my needs here so maybe I can get a little help to keep the collection going.

I'm kinda caught up but I still need: Saleucami BP, McQ Trooper, Galactic Marine, and the Order 66 packs.

Any help would hot!

JediTricks
04-07-2007, 01:20 AM
Can't you just go to China and get this stuff at the source? ;)

I'll keep my eyes out for them, but I'm batting low right now a little, I don't have the McTrooper 2 either.

Slicker
04-14-2007, 09:29 PM
I went on another excursion yesterday. I managed to go to Yokohama and do a bit of sightseeing and picture taking. The train ride was about 40 minutes away from base and cost 1,080 yen for a round trip (about $10) which wasn't too bad. The train system here is amazing. It's enough to make Mussolini proud...if he was beaten, kicked, and strung up in the center of Milan, that is.

I of course got pictures. I posted a slideshow on Myspace but since some of you don't have Myspace here's the link.

Yokohama pictures. (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Yokohama/)

Tycho
04-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Those are great pictures Slicker! Did you ride that ferris wheel? That would be an experience I'd bet.

timmae
04-14-2007, 09:49 PM
looks like corusant slicker. you should see the east coast now, your home town is now kamino!

Slicker
04-18-2007, 05:35 AM
That's what I've been seeing Timmae, but things are no better here. It's literally rained since Sunday night (it's Wednesday evening now).

I'm posting because I had my first semi-guilty moment. I was in a bar with alot of Japanese nationals in it and a commercial came on with the "this day in history" theme. It just so happens that on this day in 1942 Jimmy Doolittle led the raid on Tokyo, Yokohama, etc. (I had totally forgotten about it) and they went into some detail about the damage and casualties and such and it was just awkward to be there when they were talking about it.

Maybe it was just me and history is just that but it seemed strange.

CaptainSolo1138
04-18-2007, 07:44 AM
I'm posting because I had my first semi-guilty moment. I was in a bar with alot of Japanese nationals in it and a commercial came on with the "this day in history" theme. It just so happens that on this day in 1942 Jimmy Doolittle led the raid on Tokyo, Yokohama, etc. (I had totally forgotten about it) and they went into some detail about the damage and casualties and such and it was just awkward to be there when they were talking about it.
That's quite interesting. Were you made to feel guilty or were you just simply like, "Oh, snap..."?

Jargo
04-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Yokohama looks like it's built from Lego. which isn't meant disrespectfully. I actually like blocky buildings. It means the older buildings and weird shaped ones stand out more. Not to mention that blocky buildings are easier to replicate in Lego. Should one be so inclined...

Did you go on the ferris wheel Slick?

Tycho
04-18-2007, 01:05 PM
and it was just awkward to be there when they were talking about it.

Maybe it was just me and history is just that but it seemed strange.

Don't worry Slicker. We'll send Don Imus over there to back you up! ;)

El Chuxter
04-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Have you been to a sumo bout yet, Slick?

I understand your mom is a Grand Champion.

(Buuuuuuuuuuurn, I got u good, LOL!)

JediTricks
04-20-2007, 08:44 PM
I went on another excursion yesterday. I managed to go to Yokohama and do a bit of sightseeing and picture taking. The train ride was about 40 minutes away from base and cost 1,080 yen for a round trip (about $10) which wasn't too bad. The train system here is amazing. It's enough to make Mussolini proud...if he was beaten, kicked, and strung up in the center of Milan, that is.

I of course got pictures. I posted a slideshow on Myspace but since some of you don't have Myspace here's the link.

Yokohama pictures. (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Yokohama/)Excellent, excellent, our plans to map Japan's cities from odd angles with people we don't know in them is nearly complete, then it will be on to stage two, MWA HA HA!!!

It's so weird, it's like looking at downtown LA or Seattle or someplace normal, but it keeps expanding out forever.

Any idea what the spheres in the middle of this picture are? http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Yokohama/?action=view&current=SurroundingDowntownArea5.jpg

Some of the coolest buildings yet in this photo:
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Yokohama/?action=view&current=SurroundingDowntownArea1.jpg

Haw, it's a Ford!
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Yokohama/?action=view&current=StreetsofYokohama3.jpg

Great photo, I want to bike down the side of that river:
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Yokohama/?action=view&current=RiverinYokohama1.jpg

This one is rad! Any info about the ship? http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Yokohama/?action=view&current=TallShipfromLandmarkTower.jpg

Cool again, but it highlights something I was thinking throughout the shots, the Japanese seem to be kinda anti-color in their buildings:
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Yokohama/?action=view&current=SurroundingDowntownArea7.jpg

Anyway, looks like another cool trip, thanks for sharing some of the photos with us. :cool: Too bad that pesky military service has to occasionally get in the way of your sightseeing. ;)

Maybe it was just me and history is just that but it seemed strange.Wow, yeah, that'd be awkward as hell. Was it just you feeling the weirdness or did the locals there kinda give you the stink eye when it came up?

Tycho
04-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Slicker - either the Japanese Government or the US Navy has been sensoring your pictures. I've restored one of them for you below.

Don't worry. We now know what's really going on over there!

2-1B
04-21-2007, 03:54 AM
Any idea what the spheres in the middle of this picture are?

That is the Galaxies Opera House from the aforementioned Coruscant.

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 06:12 PM
That is the Galaxies Opera House from the aforementioned Coruscant.
Looks like it's giving us the finger.

Slicker
04-22-2007, 04:29 AM
Any idea what the spheres in the middle of this picture are? http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Yokohama/?action=view&current=SurroundingDowntownArea5.jpg
I have no clue. I was wondering myself.

This one is rad! Any info about the ship? http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Yokohama/?action=view&current=TallShipfromLandmarkTower.jpg I tried to find some info on it but came up empty handed. I'll keep looking though.

Cool again, but it highlights something I was thinking throughout the shots, the Japanese seem to be kinda anti-color in their buildings:
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/slicker1138/Japan/Yokohama/?action=view&current=SurroundingDowntownArea7.jpg I've noticed that in the newer buildings it's like that but the older ones have different style and whatnot. These buildings in particular are part of a renovation type plan that calls for something like this.

Wow, yeah, that'd be awkward as hell. Was it just you feeling the weirdness or did the locals there kinda give you the stink eye when it came up?It was all me. I'm sure they didn't think twice about.

There was another time when were going through the area indoctrination and a Japanese lady was talking about the area and several times she'd mentioned something along the lines of "after you guys defeated us in the war" and it just seemed surreal almost.

Jargo
04-22-2007, 09:38 AM
well technically it wasn't 'you' guys it was some other guys. and one or two with particularly bad judgement. but they're dead now and things are different. and everyone loves the japanese coz they're smart and make cool 'toys'. and you guys are just doing a job of work. we shouldn't feel shame for the actions of our forefathers, we should simply aim not to be so dumb.

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 09:05 PM
I've noticed that in the newer buildings it's like that but the older ones have different style and whatnot. These buildings in particular are part of a renovation type plan that calls for something like this.Ah, I see. Maybe it's an ecological issue, the white reflecting heat to lower cooling costs or some such green thing.

It was all me. I'm sure they didn't think twice about.That's good to hear, glad they didn't feel any resentment towards you - I know in some bars back here in the states, it would definitely not be the same if the roles were reversed.

There was another time when were going through the area indoctrination and a Japanese lady was talking about the area and several times she'd mentioned something along the lines of "after you guys defeated us in the war" and it just seemed surreal almost.Wow, I'm sure it was, even reading it it seems weird. I guess part of healing is letting go of resentment and moving forward, there are some societies out there that carry a lot of resentment towards their fellow countries over stuff that happened a long time ago - some are hundreds of years old even! I don't think I've ever considered the whole "letting go of the past" angle from the OTHER side of that sort of thing before - in that way, maybe winning a war isn't as easy as losing it, at least when you lose you know why you're mad and who you're mad at.

Tycho
04-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Um, we have a right to be mad at them over Pearl Harbor. They started it!

As an American, that attack on Hawaii is still even more than a slap in the face. Perhaps I'm closer to my US Navy roots due to my father, but knowing what the Japanese did then - even attacking our hospitals and fire department, really gets under my skin. And I wasn't alive then, obviously - heck my father was in diapers I'm sure, but we were totally justified in the actions we took against Japan in WWII and that's just the history between our two nations. There's no reason to forget things like that in history. However, any American or Japanese age 50 or younger had nothing to do with that war. So we can forgive and heal now. We're at least 2 generations removed from most who were responsible.

El Chuxter
04-23-2007, 01:11 AM
True.

But it was the US who sent ships into their harbors and threatened to bombard them into total submission if they didn't open the country to foreign trade. The samurai class restored Emperor Meiji to his hereditary position as the true ruler of Japan, eliminating the centuries-old Tokugawa shogunate, then were outlawed themselves as possibly the worst "thank you" gift in history. And it's all Commodore Matthew Perry's fault that Japan churns out bad anime and horrific pop songs nowadays instead of having dudes in cool armor kill each other from horseback.

Stupid Perry. The other Matthew Perry is way cooler. Especially in The Whole Nine Yards.

TeeEye7
04-23-2007, 01:44 PM
True.

But it was the US who sent ships into their harbors and threatened to bombard them into total submission if they didn't open the country to foreign trade. The samurai class restored Emperor Meiji to his hereditary position as the true ruler of Japan, eliminating the centuries-old Tokugawa shogunate, then were outlawed themselves as possibly the worst "thank you" gift in history. And it's all Commodore Matthew Perry's fault that Japan churns out bad anime and horrific pop songs nowadays instead of having dudes in cool armor kill each other from horseback.

Stupid Perry. The other Matthew Perry is way cooler. Especially in The Whole Nine Yards.

And all this time I've been blaming Tom Cruise's horrible acting for all of the problems ;)

JediTricks
04-23-2007, 11:38 PM
We had a right to be mad when we entered the war, but once we won it, the dynamic changed, our society as a whole eventually got over the feeling of needing to grind them into dust because we were the victors.

Slicker
05-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Nothing too major going on here. The Kitty Hawk left yesterday for a little bit to do some trials. I unfortunately couldn't go on it because they don't have enough racks for us right now but we'll be making the main cruise.

I'll be going to Tokyo tomorrow so there should be some pictures up by the middle of the week. The one real thing I wanna see there is the Tokyo Tower so I can get some great pictures from it.

JediTricks
05-05-2007, 04:50 PM
They didn't have room? I dunno why, but that's a reason I *never* would have expected from the Navy, I mean sure it's completely logical, but somehow I always thought the Navy's logistics would make everything rotate in and out smoothly and I somehow expected there was always enough room on the big boats for everybody.

Say, isn't the Kitty Hawk due to be decommissioned next year? I thought I read that somewhere.

Have fun in Tokyo, good luck not getting lost - I hear that's next to impossible to avoid though. :D

CaptainSolo1138
05-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Say, isn't the Kitty Hawk due to be decommissioned next year? I thought I read that somewhere.Since its about 10:00pm in Japan and Slick is probably partaking in drunken bowling "exercises", I'll answer: Yes, it is. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but Slick is part of the decommissioning detail that'll be on-ship when they do their farewells.

BountyHunterScum
05-06-2007, 09:05 AM
I wonder if we know
How they live in Tokyo
If you see it, and you mean it,
Then you know you have to go
Fast and furious kita Drift, Drift, Drift
Fast and furious kita Drift, Drift, Drift. lol

JediTricks
05-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Since its about 10:00pm in Japan and Slick is probably partaking in drunken bowling "exercises", I'll answer: Yes, it is. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but Slick is part of the decommissioning detail that'll be on-ship when they do their farewells.
Bowling is never exercise. :p

Ah, ok, I didn't realize that's what he's up to, interesting to know. There's something cooler about it, instead of just being another guy on a big boat, he's among the last to sail on a famous ship that he's helping put to bed.

I wonder what a decommissioning detail does - I want it to be the guys who take sledgehammers to all the good equipment and just trash it to hell, but I'm sure it's much more mundane stuff.

CaptainSolo1138
05-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Bowling is never exercise. :pHence the quotation marks. If you knew Slick though, you'd congratulate him on such an aerobic expenditure. I've never seen anyone be able to do nothing and still maintain such a girlish figure.

I wonder what a decommissioning detail does - I want it to be the guys who take sledgehammers to all the good equipment and just trash it to hell, but I'm sure it's much more mundane stuff.From what I understand he basically gets to stop in ports all over the world and say,"Hey, baby. What do ya think of my sweet ride?" He will do his day-to-day job, but unless WWIII and WWIV both come about at the same time, he's basically on a friendship voyage.

And from what I hear it's an almost 2:1 women to men ration in Australia. I work with a retired SEAL who claims you only "need to round them up into a corner and point".:D

Tycho
05-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Hehe. Aussie girls. :love:

Slicker
05-07-2007, 07:00 PM
I will indeed be decomming the ship. I've gotta go now but I'll get more into it when I get back on.

I went by these on my way to Tokyo and they're owned by Tokyo Gas so I'm assuming they hold gas of some sort.

2-1B
05-07-2007, 11:00 PM
I will indeed be decomming the ship.

I had to read that twice before I realized I had one of the vowels wrong...

JediTricks
05-08-2007, 05:18 PM
I went by these on my way to Tokyo and they're owned by Tokyo Gas so I'm assuming they hold gas of some sort.Ah, cool! I think we have those here in SoCal as well then, and they're just not in a setting and placement that cool.

El Chuxter
05-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Do they have nachos in Japan?

Or will you be coming back for those?

mabudonicus
05-16-2007, 12:29 PM
I think that's about the only thing he would come for, Chux- kinda sad, but you know how these things go ;)

I bet nachos in Japan (if you could vene get them) would be a real oddity, kind of like their individually-wrapped single slices of bread with no crust on 'em
:beard: Iso & Baws

JJreason started the "nachos" thing, so forward any questions to him

Slicker
05-17-2007, 01:31 AM
Sure they have nachos here. They've got everything we do plus some.

You can find all of your normal restaurants that you like back home here like Wendy's, McDonalds, TGIFriday's, and tons of others.

CaptainSolo1138
06-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Slick sent me some pics tonight and I thought I'd pass them along to you jokers. The first is "Flight Deck variant" Slick, the second is an incoming plane, the third is outgoing and the final one is the carriers wake and the blue, blue ocean. Enjoy.

Otherwise, Slick is doing great! If anyone wants his email addy PM me and I'll get it to you.

TeeEye7
06-03-2007, 12:04 AM
How many accessories does "Flight Deck Slick" come with?

I'll check TRU or Target tomorrow and keep one MOC and sell the other on e-Bay. (Reserve: $1.00)

Rocketboy
06-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Slick sent me some pics tonight and I thought I'd pass them along to you jokers. The first is "Flight Deck variant" Slick, the second is an incoming plane, the third is outgoing and the final one is the carriers wake and the blue, blue ocean. Enjoy.

Otherwise, Slick is doing great! If anyone wants his email addy PM me and I'll get it to you.Man, I can't help but picture Slick in "Hot Shots!"

CaptainSolo1138
06-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Man, I can't help but picture Slick in "Hot Shots!"Pudding???

TeeEye7
06-03-2007, 10:13 PM
I picked up a Target exclusive "Flight Deck Slick with Kung-Fu Grip" today. If only I had a photo to show.

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Slick sent me some pics tonight and I thought I'd pass them along to you jokers. The first is "Flight Deck variant" Slick, the second is an incoming plane, the third is outgoing and the final one is the carriers wake and the blue, blue ocean. Enjoy.Thanks for passing these along, very cool. I hear Flight Deck Variant Slick is just the regular Slick figure with a new hat, yes? :p Cool pics of the F/A-18 Super Hornets trapping and launching and perched to fall of the boat. :D MAN does that sucker have a big wake!

Man, I can't help but picture Slick in "Hot Shots!"Doesn't that make him "Wash Out" played by Jon Cryer?

CaptainSolo1138
06-04-2007, 09:09 PM
I hear Flight Deck Variant Slick is just the regular Slick figure with a new hat, yes? :pIt is also rumored that he now has ball-jointed nether regions, too, but I can't find one in stores to be able to confirm this.

Rocketboy
06-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Doesn't that make him "Wash Out" played by Jon Cryer?Actually, if you mix one part Lt. Kent Gregory (since Slick knows what a chafing dish is) and one part Adm. Thomas 'Tug' Benson ("Holy Cow my cap blew off!"), you get a Slicker.

CaptainSolo1138
06-04-2007, 09:25 PM
and one part Adm. Thomas 'Tug' Benson ("Holy Cow my cap blew off!"), you get a Slicker.
I was thinking more along the lines of, "We'll tape his favorite shows. He won't miss a thing!":D

Rocketboy
06-04-2007, 09:51 PM
There are so many great lines I hard time deciding.

2-1B
06-04-2007, 09:55 PM
The Special Edition of Caps' post will have the writing on Slicker's hat changed to Aurabesh...for continuity sake.

El Chuxter
06-04-2007, 10:58 PM
All I can find around here is the pegwarming Slicker with the CommTech chip that sings "In the Navy." :mad:

Rocketboy
06-04-2007, 11:54 PM
The Special Edition of Caps' post will have the writing on Slicker's hat changed to Aurabesh...for continuity sake.That would be hilarious!

2-1B
06-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Well done, Rock.

Rocketboy
06-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Well done, Rock.Thanks, it bears the name of Slick's favorite Jedi master.

JediTricks
06-06-2007, 09:31 PM
It is also rumored that he now has ball-jointed nether regions, too, but I can't find one in stores to be able to confirm this.It worries me that you want to check for this variation. :p

Actually, if you mix one part Lt. Kent Gregory (since Slick knows what a chafing dish is) and one part Adm. Thomas 'Tug' Benson ("Holy Cow my cap blew off!"), you get a Slicker.Wow, that's pretty good, those are both decent characters, friggin' Lloyd Bridges is an admiral!

Thanks, it bears the name of Slick's favorite Jedi master.Writing "buh tsechs" on a serviceman's visage, that's not right! ;)

Rocketboy
06-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Writing "buh tsechs" on a serviceman's visage, that's not right! ;)Well he is a seaman and Slicker totally loves Master Buh Tsechs!
:thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
06-21-2007, 09:26 AM
I had some more photos from Slick (Nick's pics?) in my mailbox this morning and figured I'd share with you all. In order:

*Slick's ship docked in I believe Guam
*I assure you, its not a postcard. Not only am I officially jealous, but I am officially over feeling bad for him. :D
*Slick at his best
*You don't go from polliwog to shellback without paying the price first. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
06-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Dang, I can't wait to hear the story behind that!

JediTricks
06-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Concerning showoff picture #2, in the lower right corner, at first I thought it was a baby being flung about wildly. :D

Picture #4 needs context... BADLY! :p

Thanks again for sharing!

2-1B
06-21-2007, 10:55 PM
I think the context is spelled out on his back, JT. lol

CaptainSolo1138
06-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Its an on-ship tradition to give the n00bs a hard time on their first trip across the equator. For Slick, this would've been June 14th (give or take a day). That thing in front of him on the ground is a mooring for a jet when it is sitting top side and coming up from under it is (I would assume) bilge water or nastiness otherwise. Whether or not he's drinking it I don't know and I prefer to keep it that way.:)

Rocketboy and I were discussing last night how its the black Donatello that really makes this picture, though.:D

jjreason
06-22-2007, 09:05 AM
The Kid looks great! It really does look like he's "seeing the world" as they say, so no false advertising on that front. Black Donatello indeed.... :D

JediTricks
06-22-2007, 04:24 PM
I think the context is spelled out on his back, JT. lol
Wow does that read wrong. :eek:

Thanks Cappy, sounds positively charming. :p

CaptainSolo1138
07-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Slick sent me a new pic this morning taken from the website of some Sydney, Australia newspaper of the Kittyhawk coming into port. He sent me "his version" last week. It was the same picture, just taken from the bow of the ship. The planes on the deck were a last minute decision by the captain and put there simply to look "bad ***". :D

Slick absolutely loves it there. He says that the people absolutely love American sailors and are always stopping them to talk and take pictures. He said when they pulled into port there were a thousand people there taking pictures and when he got back to the ship late that night there were still a couple hundred folks milling about.

Tycho
07-11-2007, 11:48 AM
That's a very cool picture. That ought to be enlarged and framed!

Rocketboy
07-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Slick absolutely loves it there. He says that the people absolutely love American sailors and are always stopping them to talk and take pictures. He said when they pulled into port there were a thousand people there taking pictures and when he got back to the ship late that night there were still a couple hundred folks milling about.America - F**k yeah!

JediTricks
07-11-2007, 09:48 PM
That's pretty cool, thanks Cappy! All those planes on the deck make me think of my toys as a kid, and I keep thinking "but they're gonna slide off the back!!!" :p

What kind of punk a** noise is that pilot ship on the side tho'? Aussies think we Americans can't pilot our giant sea vessels into port by ourselves??? :D

Slicker
07-21-2007, 05:36 AM
I'm still alive for those that care! I can't access most internet sites while on the boat (but, thankfully, I can still get on wikipedia because it's a .org site *phwew*). Right now I'm at an internet cafe in Brisbane, Australia and it's 7:30 at night. Brisbane is a dang nice city but I'm still partial to liking Sydney better. In Sydney we were ported right near downtown but in Brisbane we have a 45 minute bus ride to get to downtown. Sydney also had much better bars and clubs. It's fun nonetheless though. I don't have time to upload pictures but when we get back to Japan I've got hundreds of 'em for you guys to see.

It's good to see that this thread is still getting attention. I don't even know where to start on explaining everything so I won't do it. I'll wait til we get back "home" to answer questions and whatnot.

Just figured I'd blow on through and holla at ma boys!!!

Slicker
07-21-2007, 05:39 AM
Also, for those that care, I went to a Target in Brisbane to look at figures and I crapped myself. They're $16 for basic figures, $25 for the Order 66 packs, and $26 for the PU 2 packs.

BTW, I still need alot of stuff (including the PU 2 packs) so if anyone can help out get with Cappy and I'll have him handle all of my business...damn, I feel like a mob boss.

Thanks for any help.

Kidhuman
07-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Let us know exactly what ya need and we can do some things for you. I got you situated on some goods, I need to get with Cappy and see what ya still need.

CaptainSolo1138
07-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Good to "see" you on the boards (and elsewhere)!

Scott, gimme a call this weekend if you get a chance and we can figure out what he still needs.

mabudonicus
07-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Good to "see" ya Bro, kep doin it right- Golden Bros is still here waiting for your eventual return and I been practicing my "ambassador" skillz, hope you can blast by again right soon, Senor Neek :beard:

Rocketboy
07-21-2007, 11:35 AM
damn, I feel like a mob boss.Thats why I call you the gangster...of love.
:love:

Great to hear from you brutha.

Kidhuman
07-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Thats why I call you the gangster...of love.
:love:

I call him Maurice

CaptainSolo1138
07-22-2007, 12:23 AM
I call him Maurice
WOOT WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Slicker
07-22-2007, 02:32 AM
Good to see that you guys still love me.

Y'all need to be emailing me. It gets lonely without emails since that's my only form of entertainment

CaptainSolo1138
07-22-2007, 09:28 AM
I do! So eat it, Richards! :p

Rocketboy
07-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Good to see that you guys still love me.

Y'all need to be emailing me. It gets lonely without emails since that's my only form of entertainmentWell, maybe if I had received an email I'd have an email address to respond to...

(Check your PMs)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-22-2007, 07:05 PM
You can take comfort knowing that you spent $43 on Celebration IV figures, which I assume are now in Cappy's possession.

JediTricks
07-23-2007, 02:27 AM
I'm still alive for those that care! I can't access most internet sites while on the boat (but, thankfully, I can still get on wikipedia because it's a .org site *phwew*).Hey, welcome back to the land of the living! You can only get to .org sites? That's pretty silly, Wikipedia's the worst .org site ever! So much propaganda and other stuff on there that should be monitored... mostly about comic book characters. ;)

Right now I'm at an internet cafe in Brisbane, Australia and it's 7:30 at night. Brisbane is a dang nice city but I'm still partial to liking Sydney better. In Sydney we were ported right near downtown but in Brisbane we have a 45 minute bus ride to get to downtown. Sydney also had much better bars and clubs. It's fun nonetheless though. I don't have time to upload pictures but when we get back to Japan I've got hundreds of 'em for you guys to see.Sounds like a good time so far, but that's a long busride to get downtown - just like LA actually.

It's good to see that this thread is still getting attention. I don't even know where to start on explaining everything so I won't do it. I'll wait til we get back "home" to answer questions and whatnot.Just start and go, NOW! ;)

Also, for those that care, I went to a Target in Brisbane to look at figures and I crapped myself. They're $16 for basic figures, $25 for the Order 66 packs, and $26 for the PU 2 packs.Eep! Is that adjusted to US dollars?

CaptainSolo1138
08-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Slick sent me this incredible picture yesterday of his battle group during exercises dubbed "Valiant Shield". I accidentally deleted the email detailing what the other ships are, but Slick's element is in the middle.

TeeEye7
08-15-2007, 08:12 AM
If I were some third-world, cheesy little punk of a dictator and I saw this out of the window of my palace....

....I'd probably need a change of shorts about now :eek:

Awesome photo! :thumbsup:

Tycho
08-15-2007, 08:38 AM
To Slicker, Very cool picture!

Well I just found out, I may be going to China.

mabudonicus
08-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Ship on the left (YOUR left) is Nimitz, can't recall the other ones name but it's not a name of anyone I recognized. According to Slick there's like 20,000 people in that picture all told :beard: Iso & Baws

Slicker's in the middle and he's smiling

CaptainSolo1138
08-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Ship on the left (YOUR left) is Nimitz, can't recall the other ones name but it's not a name of anyone I recognized. According to Slick there's like 20,000 people in that picture all told :beard: Iso & Baws

Slicker's in the middle and he's smilingThanks, Carl. That was the only detail I could remember about it, too. I like men named Chester.

Kidhuman
08-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Tis a great pic and I used it as my background. I also got a few others from Slick. What I am gonna do later is stick them in a photo album online foir easy viewing.

CaptainSolo1138
08-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Tis a great pic and I used it as my background. I also got a few others from Slick. What I am gonna do later is stick them in a photo album online foir easy viewing.
It's my current wallpaper as well.

Good idea on the album, KH. I don't have an account set up at Photobucket or Flickr or I'd do it myself. Much appreciated.

Kidhuman
08-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Got them in an album. Let me know if the link isnt working or if it needs to be public.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v678/kidhuman/Slicks%20pics/

CaptainSolo1138
08-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Very cool, Scott. I hadn't even seen those yet!

Kidhuman
08-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Two things, He likes me better than you.

And get a pic of not just Anderson, but Grandersons catch last night. That was awesome.

CaptainSolo1138
08-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Two things, He likes me better than you.Up yers, pal.

And get a pic of not just Anderson, but Grandersons catch last night. That was awesome.The only one that seems to be making the rounds is him on the ground after the catch with Thames celebrating in the background. I want one in mid-flight.

Rocketboy
08-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Must be nice to actually get mail from Slick...

CaptainSolo1138
08-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Must be nice to actually get mail from Slick...
PM me your preferred addy. Is it the one @hotmail? If so, I'll have him add it to his address book.

Did a screencap of Baby Grand's catch last night from the game highlights on ESPN.com and came up with this. Not nearly as crisp as I want it to be.

Kidhuman
08-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Mine came out the same way, a little fuzzy. Sorry

figrin bran
08-15-2007, 11:03 PM
That pic with the Nimitz is really sweet!

JediTricks
08-16-2007, 02:54 AM
Slick sent me this incredible picture yesterday of his battle group during exercises dubbed "Valiant Shield". I accidentally deleted the email detailing what the other ships are, but Slick's element is in the middle.
I swear to god, I had "In The Navy" cue up in my playlist, it's playing right when I saw that pic, it was awesome but bodes poorly for Slick - tell him to watch out for an indian, a construction worker, and a leatherman on deck! :p

So, uh... he mention how that pic was taken?

Well I just found out, I may be going to China.Care to explain that one?

Thanks for the album KH, but when did you usurp Cappy's position as "Slicker's Brother"? Are we going to have to have a runoff election? ;)

I caught the Dodger game last night on TV, so I didn't see any cool baseball. The damn 9th inning was tragic, down by 4, they get a run in, 2 on base, 1 out, then they totally flub the last 2 outs in a single embarrassment play that ought to make the annals (the runner at first ran to 2nd on an obvious foul ball that was also caught!!!) The Dodgers have brought great shame to LA once again.

Tycho
08-16-2007, 03:01 AM
Care to explain that one?

I'd rather not.

JediTricks
08-16-2007, 03:06 AM
I'd rather not.
Then why mention it?

figrin bran
08-16-2007, 03:09 AM
I caught the Dodger game last night on TV, so I didn't see any cool baseball. The damn 9th inning was tragic, down by 4, they get a run in, 2 on base, 1 out, then they totally flub the last 2 outs in a single embarrassment play that ought to make the annals (the runner at first ran to 2nd on an obvious foul ball that was also caught!!!) The Dodgers have brought great shame to LA once again.

and yet, LA fans aren't embarrassed to go to the games as the Dodgers are still up there in fan attendance.

JediTricks
08-16-2007, 03:20 AM
It was so sparse behind home plate and in the bleachers though, not even half full. My sister's boyfriend was at the game (free tix) behind home plate and they left early (smart move).