PDA

View Full Version : I am your Fathers Day 2-Pack.

Battle Droid
01-19-2007, 01:25 PM
http://www.r2dtoys.com/store/store.pl?action=comingsoon&id=2496

dindae
01-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Now that is a good idea. When I heard of a new holiday exclusive I cringed but this is to funny. I can imagine a lot of fathers on the boards here will get one if their wife's can beat them to the ailse.:D

El Chuxter
01-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Oy!

They passed on a Jaxxon Easter figure for what will inevitably be previously released figures in new packaging?

The only thing that could make this worthwhile would be a hologram (Hayden) Anakin, but I doubt Hasbro's that smart.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2007, 02:12 PM
I doubt either figure will be new, but this is a pretty funny idea. Now we know what this year's Holiday figure is . . .

bobafrett
01-19-2007, 03:17 PM
What is the picture of? I get the website, but no photo of the figure.

Jargo
01-19-2007, 04:14 PM
I don't see it either gran'pa. C'mon inside and sit a spell. Sissy done made a stoooooooooooo.

Darth Jax
01-19-2007, 07:49 PM
there isn't a picture yet, just an "image coming soon" graphic.

DarkArtist
01-20-2007, 11:19 AM
this set would be cool if they included a Gantry playset with it. it will likely be just re-paints or repacks but if they really do the set nicely it could work. the holo idea of Hayden would rock as well.

jjreason
01-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Nothing that "rocks" or "rules" will make it into this set. I've got a reliable source (okay, it's just me speculating again).

JediTricks
01-20-2007, 06:29 PM
So what, it's just Saga Bespin Vader and Luke with Vader's accessories?

sith_killer_99
01-20-2007, 06:50 PM
No, it's gonna be the CommTech Vader with the baby Luke and Leia accessories from the Wal-Mart Obi-Wan and Bail Organa.:rolleyes: ;)

Old Fossil
01-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Actually it's a mirror image Jango/Boba Fett 2-pack, using the VOTC Boba Fett sculpt, so we'll get the ultimate Jango figure we've always wanted.:thumbsup:

Or not.

DarkArtist
01-20-2007, 11:11 PM
maybe we will get a set like this. got this from rebelscum.com.

timmae
01-21-2007, 12:07 AM
no one can top this! before i saw this i was thinking of the degobah scene with luke and vaders head. being a dad i'll buy it. my daughter digs the holiday figs so far. i'll tell her i took the money from her bank account. i'm sure she will understand.:rolleyes:

maybe we will get a set like this. got this from rebelscum.com.

El Chuxter
01-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Man, DA, Vader looks like he's molesting Leia in that picture, and Luke walked in.

That is some twisted carp. :eek:

2-1B
01-21-2007, 10:57 AM
meh, I'd rather buy this guy from them...
http://www.r2dtoys.com/store/store.pl?action=search&category=7&textsearch=&sub_category=&sub_category2=&id=2083

El Chuxter
01-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Maybe he'll be next year's holiday figure, for National Doctor Appreciation Day.

General_Grievous
01-21-2007, 02:30 PM
No, it's gonna be the CommTech Vader with the baby Luke and Leia accessories from the Wal-Mart Obi-Wan and Bail Organa.:rolleyes: ;)

Actually it's a mirror image Jango/Boba Fett 2-pack, using the VOTC Boba Fett sculpt, so we'll get the ultimate Jango figure we've always wanted.:thumbsup:

Or not.

I would rather have either of those than a rehashed Bespin Luke and another Vader. Especially since I never found the Separation of the Twins sets.

DarkArtist
01-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Man, DA, Vader looks like he's molesting Leia in that picture, and Luke walked in.

That is some twisted carp. :eek:

you know, now that I look at it WOW. that is twisted.:o

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Well, the pics are up on the main page. Frankly I think this is a real turd. I don't think the ROTJ head works very well on that Luke's body . . . I'm thinking I'll be able to pass on this one.

General_Grievous
04-24-2007, 05:52 PM
It looks like butt.

Kidhuman
04-24-2007, 05:54 PM
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=786

For those people who dont go to the main page. It is stupid looking. I will pass on this rehashed carp.

El Chuxter
04-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Yawwwwwwwwn.

Snowtrooper
04-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Decent idea.....very poor execution. Just another feeble attempt by Hasbro to unload old figures.

El Chuxter
04-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Possibly the dumbest thing about this: It's the end of April, and they just announced it.

It'll probably be mid-May, at the earliest, that they start showing up at retail.

Father's Day cards are things you have to buy in advance. That's not a whole lot of time for these to be available.

They're going to be clearanced even worse than the Christmas C-3PO/R2-D2 set.

timmae
04-24-2007, 07:13 PM
i am a father, and personally i would rather have had slave leia and snowbunny padme!!!! these are awefull. i hope my girlfriend or daughter doesn't buy me these. i will have to leave the room to throw up.

UKWildcat
04-24-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm not impressed either. Very turdlike.

jjreason
04-24-2007, 07:41 PM
It's junk, pure and simple.

DarkArtist
04-24-2007, 08:13 PM
I may actually have to get my father one of these, Vader is his favorite character and I have always be thought of as his Luke, so they set will have some meaning.

Slicker
04-24-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm usually not much of a downer but this is very uninspired.

I figured they'd have 'em set up in some sort of poses or something.

DarthQuack
04-25-2007, 02:02 PM
woooo, another vader to deficate on....

kool-aid killer
04-25-2007, 02:38 PM
I think the card looks cool, but thats not enough to warrant me buying the Fathers Day two pack. I just dont need yet another Vader or Luke.

bobafrett
04-25-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm usually not much of a downer but this is very uninspired.

I figured they'd have 'em set up in some sort of poses or something.

What kind of pose? Luke sitting on Daddy Vaders lap being read a book? lol

JetsAndHeels
04-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Hmmm, looks like someone at hasbro took another ****, labeled it "Father's Day" and decided somehow this thing would sell.

Good job.

2-1B
04-25-2007, 11:30 PM
The posters from 2 years ago were 100 times better than this.

decadentdave
04-26-2007, 02:50 AM
Give me a break. :zzz:

abell748
04-26-2007, 09:45 AM
As much as my 6 and 7 year old sons are in to SW, they would a huge kick out something like this for me this fathers day. It might be cheesey, but it would still mean alot to me coming from my guys. So down it all you want, I'll love it and make some boys happy!

Jargo
04-26-2007, 12:36 PM
is this another idea from the intern? they should fire that guy.

DarkArtist
04-26-2007, 04:51 PM
I have a feeling that I am going to get this one from my wife for Father's day since for the past two years she has always gotten me a toy from Star Wars so it's a wait and see.

JediTricks
04-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Well, the pics are up on the main page. Frankly I think this is a real turd. I don't think the ROTJ head works very well on that Luke's body . . . I'm thinking I'll be able to pass on this one.I think that ROTJ head works better on there than it deserves really, but the lack of Vader's Bespin accessories, no picture background, and the figures not being posed in the card, that totally kills the interest in this set.

What kind of pose? Luke sitting on Daddy Vaders lap being read a book? lolBasically just reenacting the "I am your father!" setup that the Saga Vader and Luke Bespin had going on, Vader already had the platform to stand on, all it needed was a new piece for Luke to hang on with his missing hand.

is this another idea from the intern? they should fire that guy.Actually, the fans have been kicking this idea around for the better part of a decade. :ermm:

Jargo
04-26-2007, 10:22 PM
really? which fans? point em out and I'll kick em where it hurts most.

Battle Droid
04-27-2007, 07:53 PM
It's a Wal-Mart Exclusive.

From, http://jediinsider.com/index.php?catid=8&itemid=10257

JI: We are seeing some pre-orders for something called "I Am Your Fathers Day" 2-pack. What is this?

Hasbro: The "I am Yoru Father's Day" is indeed a real product, one both having some fun with Star Wars and one intended to take advantage of Father's Day gift-giving period. It is a product exclusive to Wal-Mart. It is intended to be a gift that kids can give their dads, and consists of a unique Father's Day card and two figures that of course emphasize a father/son connection. The idea is that you and dad can share the fun of Star Wars, with a figure for both you and your dad to to enjoy. The product has a new zip-strip that allows the card to be taken off cleanly and the package folded back on itself for a gift box. Since it is
a 100% kid-targeted product, and if we could have avoided creating a kit-bashed figure we would have, but the "anguished" face of the original Bespin Luke just didn't cut it for what we wanted to do with this set. (See image below

JEDIpartner
05-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Oooooh... nothing says "Father's Day" like a deformed man in black armour trying to hunt down and kill his son!!! :rolleyes:

Jargo
05-01-2007, 07:08 PM
laughing my chuffing crossbreed offspring of a horse and donkey off! lol

El Chuxter
05-25-2007, 11:57 AM
You have to wonder about the common sense, or lack thereof, involved here.

The display at CIV says it's available in June, not "NOW," as so many figures say.

These have, to my knowledge, not shown up anywhere.

Father's Day is June 17.

Today is May 25.

So it's not out yet, and there are only 22 shopping days until Father's Day (and that's considering up to the last minute).

Really smart, Hasbro.

sith_killer_99
05-25-2007, 02:21 PM
of course emphasize a father/son connection.

Okay, maybe it's just me, but this seems a bit sexist. Let's look at the facts.

Anakin had 2 kids, Luke and Leia.

Vader was not only Luke's father he was Leia's father. Father's Day is about being a Dad, it doesn't matter if your child is a girl or a boy. So why is Hasbro choosing to emphasize the "father/son" connection. Furthermore, girls play with Star Wars toys too, it's not strictly a "boys" toy line.

Yes, I understand the whole "Vader/Luke" conflict and the surprising revelation in ESB. But that's not the way Hasbro is painting the picture...

a unique Father's Day card and two figures that of course emphasize a father/son connection. The idea is that you and dad can share the fun of Star Wars, with a figure for both you and your dad to to enjoy.

What about the father/daughter connection? My daughter loves Star Wars, I guess she gets the Luke figure in the gift set huh...:rolleyes:

Here's a question for Hasbro, why not do 2 sets, Luke/Vader and Leia/Vader. Heck, why not do a 3 pack gift set with Vader and ALL his kids.

Maybe, I'm reading too much into this.

El Chuxter
05-25-2007, 02:25 PM
What's really sexist is there's no Mother's Day equivalent.

sith_killer_99
05-25-2007, 02:36 PM
YEAH!

I mean, Padme' DIED giving birth to Luke and Leia and she doesn't even get in on the action.:mad:

General_Grievous
05-25-2007, 09:40 PM
What's really sexist is there's no Mother's Day equivalent.

True, but do you really think a mother would want action figures for Mother's Day?

JediTricks
06-03-2007, 07:42 PM
The box in action actually does come off pretty cute, though I noticed they did have a little trouble figuring it out on stage. :p I don't think this is intended to be a collector moneygrab, I think someone just came up with a funny idea and ran with it.

You have to wonder about the common sense, or lack thereof, involved here.

The display at CIV says it's available in June, not "NOW," as so many figures say.

These have, to my knowledge, not shown up anywhere.

Father's Day is June 17.

Today is May 25.

So it's not out yet, and there are only 22 shopping days until Father's Day (and that's considering up to the last minute).

Really smart, Hasbro.
Set was due out June 1st, smartypants.

El Chuxter
06-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Yeah, two weeks before Father's Day.

Not a very long time frame, given that A) most collectors will not want this, and B) most casual shoppers won't know to look for it.

El Chuxter
11-24-2009, 02:36 AM
Okay, stupid question. I saw a lurker looking at this thread, and it made me wonder: did [b]anyone[b] actually see this thing at retail?

Seriously. I'd like to hear if anyone did.

bobafrett
11-24-2009, 06:26 AM
Yes Chux, I saw it at Wal-Mart, and I bought one. That was some time ago, then I saw it again recently when our store was going through a remodel, it was in a cart, then I think someone bought it. I assume it was hidden by a collector, but then forgotten about.

pbarnard
11-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Saw it, passed on it. Stuck around for close to 6 months.

Darth Jax
11-24-2009, 08:41 AM
saw it, but have too many vaders already so it was an easy pass. course i only saw it in one WM and that one is 60 miles away from the few WM's near me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-24-2009, 11:45 PM
I think I only ever saw it at one of the three (at the time; now it's four) Walmarts in my area.

I ended up getting it a few weeks at a toy show that had a ton of great stuff. This was $5, so I thought, eh, what the hell. All it took was two and a half years and a $10 price decrease and I was sold. :p