PDA

View Full Version : Superman: The Movie

Tycho
01-20-2007, 12:58 PM
This is the 1978 Richard Donner movie in supposedly its 2001 DVD form, starring Christopher Reeves, Margot Kidder, Gene Hackman, Marlon Brando and more.

Excellent film actually. It's a lot of fun and what an introductory Superman movie should be. The helicopter save of Lois Lane is classic, as is the delivery of the whole "escape boat" to the Metropolis police station with the criminals handcuffed to the railings.

The scene where Kal-El flies Air Force One in when it loses an engine, and the crack to Lois about air travel still being the safest way to go (after the helicopter rescue) is great, and redone for the Singer film, despite the fact that the jokes are so old by last year's movie release, that they are funny again because everyone's forgotten them.

Lex is asked about his father, and his latest "Lex girl" says his Dad's advice was "Get out!" - another joke recycled for Superman Returns but original here.

Of course SR is lauded as the modern effects masterpiece, and Kevin Spacey looked more like Lex than Gene Hackman does (though Hackman is an incredible actor on his own merit in many a project he's done), you have to love the original Superman Movie.

Oh - and the extended Krypton scenes with Jor-El and Lara, and the trial of Zod are a must-see!

Also, you witness Kal-El's training in the Fortress a bit (though no explanation is offered for the costume) and you see Kal-El's relationship with his biological father grow as it had not during his teenage years.

Anyway, I really like this movie. 1978 or not, it is a strong feature - about as strong as Superman himself!

- And John Williams offers an excellent soundtrack you can readily whistle!

JetsAndHeels
01-20-2007, 01:43 PM
And Superman II is even better.

Another similarity between the original here and SR was the female character with Lex..Miss Tessmacher and Kitty Kowalksi both did something to help "redeem" themselves to a certain extent.

General_Grievous
01-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Superman Returns followed pretty much the exact same plot structure as this. Think about it: Superman saves Lois from "death by aircraft", Lex's girlfriend who redeems herself, Superman saves people in Metropolis from Lex Luthor's plot to gain more land (the two missiles, New Krypton), there is a near-death experience (Lois, Superman). It wasn't a bad thing, but it was more of an homage to Superman the Movie.

JetsAndHeels
01-20-2007, 02:03 PM
"We all have our little faults, mine is in California."

-Lex Luthor, Superman the Movie

Tycho
01-20-2007, 04:12 PM
I agree with General Grievous, but don't know what to make of it.

One way to look at is, that instead of just doing a straight remake, Singer and the writers went with using those similar themes and lines, but made their own movie with it. That's a creative homage in its own way. The "same thing" hadn't been seen in 28 years at SR's 2006 release time, so it was a good way to reboot the franchise.

Still, like JetsAndHeels said, Superman II gets even better, as should Singer's sequels (if they don't try and do comedy :rolleyes: ) because they can make it all an even greater epic as the fight with Zod was. (I'll start another thread for Superman II when I've had a chance to watch that later this afternoon.)

But I think Superman: The Movie, works as an epic where SR fails, because S:TM was the first one and set the standard for all the rest. It wasn't a remake of anything and showed us stuff (like Krypton) that we'd never seen before. Brando's part as Jor-El was fascinating because we'd never gotten to know him before or since (on the screen anyway). Plus Lara was characterized and well-portrayed and we saw how hard it was for them to give up Kal-El, and what a crisis the Els faced at home on Krypton - how dangerous political dissent had become there. (I"d still love a series about the life of Jor-El so badly! That's the best Superman spin-off idea that could ever, ever, ever be done!)

El Chuxter
01-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Great movie, but I didn't like the addition of one line in the Director's Cut that says the girl on the train who sees Clark running is Lois. She should've stayed some random, anonymous little girl.

Tycho
01-20-2007, 11:59 PM
I actually ALWAYS recalled that girl being Lois. I don't think it was a new addition.

JediTricks
01-21-2007, 03:29 AM
I actually ALWAYS recalled that girl being Lois. I don't think it was a new addition.
You remember that because it was in the TV version, I remember that too, it was hackneyed to me even then, I hate when everything absolutely must be connected in every way possible in these things... STAR WARS PREQUELS!!!

I don't really love the Superman movies, they were entertaining and it's nearly always good to see big blue, but there's also an intentional distancing from the source material that bums me out, like Lex being a lesser con-man type of guy (though not as bad as the con man he'd be in Superman Returns, at least Donner's Lex was a genius and had a secret lair and science skills) - really, Lex gets the short end of the stick in the movies (again, not intending this to compare to SR, but S1's Lex plot was at least pretty scary and dangerous, 2 nukes!). I liked Reeve's intensity when playing Superman, but I didn't care for the corny Clark stuff. I liked that Lois was a real tough chick and believable as a reporter, but I loathed her screaming and her softer side when she goes flying with Supes - "can you read my mind?" NO! And we the audience wish we couldn't either! The only good thing to come out of that was The Monarch aping it in Venture Bros season 2. Also, I felt like we spent way too much time in Clark's young life and then a really brief jump to him being Supes.

2-1B
01-21-2007, 09:40 AM
I disagree with JT, I think they should have added Boba Fett to the Special Edition of Superman I.
Just kidding...;)

I don't remember much about the first Supes but I always seemed to like the 2nd one better because of Zod and the other two weird people.

I always hear about how bad 3 and 4 were but I don't remember anything about them. At least Office Space was able to make a nice joke in reference to Supes 3. lol

JediTricks
01-22-2007, 07:26 PM
I disagree with JT, I think they should have added Boba Fett to the Special Edition of Superman I.They could have made a special in-theater technology where he walks up to the screen, winks, nods, then says "hi {your name here}" :p

I always hear about how bad 3 and 4 were but I don't remember anything about them. At least Office Space was able to make a nice joke in reference to Supes 3. lolSuperman 3 isn't that bad, it's not up to par with the first 2 but it has some entertaining qualities. Supes 4 is unwatchably bad and preachy and sloppy.

2-1B
01-22-2007, 07:47 PM
But who would do the voice...Tem Morrison or Jason Wingreen ?

I need to watch Supes 3 and 4 just to see for myself what all the discussion is about. :grin: