PDA

View Full Version : That 'I gotta have that toy' thread from childhood ...

vader121
01-22-2007, 12:34 PM
In the spirit of all these reminiscing type threads going around now I thought of a thread about what was/were the Star Wars toy(s) that you wanted the most as a kid and did get and those that you never got?.

I remember as a really little kid (4-5yrs old) that I wanted the Millenium Falcon really bad and did end up getting it for Xmas. I also remember asking Santa for it at a store or mall. Good ole Santa came through for me that year.

I also did want the Skiff really bad in 1985 even though I was like 12 or 13. I saw it once at TRU when it first opened in my area and I wanted it bad but didn't have the money. I still need one.

Kidhuman
01-22-2007, 12:57 PM
I would say the AT-AT. Never had one, gotta go change my list up now.

stillakid
01-22-2007, 01:28 PM
There were two toys that I distinctly recall "NEEDING!" when I was much smaller. The first was the AT-AT. All I ever got to see were pictures and it seemed SO enormous. Alas Santa never delivered so when the opportunity arose years and years later when I saw a vintage one sitting boxed on a shelf, I jumped at it.

The second toy I "NEEDED!" to have wasn't from Star Wars at all. It was the Micronauts Battlecruiser. It was a whopping 50 bucks, way out of the price range of a little kid and definitely not something I ever expected to see in person. But I was out of my mind one glorious Christmas morning when that giant box appeared from underneath some wrapping paper.

Remembering back, for whatever reason, I was much more into Micronauts toys at the time than I was into Star Wars. There was a contest at the Toys R Us in the city where you could win a shopping spree. Of course I didn't win, but I remember fantasizing about what I'd fill my cart with first. Micronauts were what I wanted first, followed by whatever I could manage in the Star Wars aisle.

I've since Ebay'ed off all my Micronauts and Star Wars has consistently overtaken just about any other hobby I've had. Is it a sickness or just a harmless diversion from the demands of life?

dindae
01-22-2007, 02:13 PM
I don't remember the gotta have it toy from Star Wars. I do remember being jealous of my friends that had the Death Star Playset. I never had the Falcon but I don't remember wanting it although I probably did. The toy that I can remember sending my mom out for/dragging her to the stores for was Storm Shadow. It was weeks before we could track one down. Still an awesome figure.

DarkArtist
01-22-2007, 02:30 PM
the one toy I wanted more than anything was the ROTJ Imperial Shuttle. loved the ship the first time I saw Jedi and wanted it ever since. at the time my parents said it was too much and too big so alas it never found a way into my fleet.
years later I would try bidding on it in ebay but still no luck as it was always $200+ but finally FAO got an exclusive version and my girlfriend at the time (now she is my wife) bought me one for Christmas and made me the happiest kid on the block. (of course my neighbors thought it was kind of funny to see a 30 something year old playing with the Imperial Shuttle out in the quad of our apartment. but hey for that day i was the kid.)

sjd9299
01-22-2007, 06:46 PM
I wanted a Han with Carbonite so bad. Never got one as a kid. I alos wanted Luke as a Stormtrooper. I got that one. And he got PLAYED with. He is now very discolored. He is still the only one I have. That helmet went on anyone and everyone that it would fit on. He is the only Star Wars guy cool enough to play with the Joes.

JediTricks
01-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Jedi Luke and Leia Boushh, I searched every single opportunity I could when those were out but found only nobody figures like Squidhead, and occasionally Lando Skiff whose helmet was similar to Leia's and I'd get all excited until I saw it was Lando. '83 through '85 was a LOT of misery looking for them on the pegs. I never got them.

Rebo's_Guitarist
01-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Not SW related, but I needed the Ghostbusters Proton Pack pretty bad. I still remember the pic in the Penny's ad, never did get it.

vader121
01-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Since the thread has strayed away from Star Wars which is totally cool I also was wanting the Gi Joe Hovercraft really bad and did get it from my grandparents one Xmas. I remember kinda goin' nuts and banging on the box a little when I first opened it.

Gi Joe was a huge part of my childhood and did overtake Star Wars for a while as my favorite. Also liked MOTU.

Kidhuman
01-23-2007, 10:12 AM
In that case, I also want a Jetfire TF original. Was my fvorite as a kid but lost it in a move.

Rogue II
01-23-2007, 10:44 AM
I was lucky as a kid and had a lot of the big Star Wars toys (Death Star and Falcon). For my 9th birthday, I was supposed to get the AT-AT from my father, but he told me over the phone that it was "crushed in the mail". (my parents were divorced and we moved to another state). Funny, that was the last time I ever spoke with him.

I bought the POTF2 version from KB or TRU when it was on clearance, so I don't feel the need to go back and get the Vintage version. The modern Star Wars line has made up for all the SW toys I lost as a kid.

Actually, until recently, I haven't had any urge to get any toys from when I was a kid. But with all the nostalgic threads, the lack of modern OT figures, and going through the Sansweet Action figure guide, I'm almost compelled to buy a few vintage figures.

LusiferSam
01-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Well sticking with SW toys, I had a couple of item I really wanted. Figure wise I desperately wanted either Jedi Luke or Bespin Luke. The only Luke I had as a kid was X-Wing Luke. Now this is a bad figure, but in no way the same as the other two. I really wanted a Luke that came with a lightsaber. For some reason I became fixated on either Jedi or Bespin Luke. The real kick in the teeth was that I passed up an opportunity to own Jedi Luke when I got my Gamorrean Guard. I could choose between the Gamorrean Guard or Jedi Luke and I went with the pig man because I own a Luke already. :frus:

The Millennium Falcon was the must own vehicle of my youth. I could build most of the other vehicles out of legos (ok duplos) pretty easily. But the Falcon was the major one I couldn't. It was too big and I couldn't build a boarding ramp that would raise and lower (that was a big thing). Later I would build a wooden Falcon with a boarding ramp, but still it left much to be desired. To this day I still don't understand why my parents wouldn't buy me any of the vehicles other than the speeder bike.

The final item is a playset. I went totally nuts over Dagobah. Yoda was my first SW figure, so the playset that went with that figure was a natural need. The worst temper tantrum I remember throwing was of this (I'm told the one of an ET toy was worst). My grandma and I were leaving a store when we walked by a big display of SW toys. I stop to look, but my grandma said we needed to leave, so she picked me up. At that point I saw the Dagobahs on the top shelf. Holy cow, did I start to kick and scream for her to buy it for me. On the plus side we were leaving the store, but I cried about not having a Dagobah playset for the next hour or so.

Kidhuman
01-23-2007, 09:09 PM
The biggest tantrum I threw for a toy was the Creature Cantina. I saw it at TRU and it was a day before my B-day and my parents refused to buy it for me. I did get it for Chrstmas that year though.

JediTricks
01-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Since the thread has strayed away from Star Wars which is totally cool I also was wanting the Gi Joe Hovercraft really bad and did get it from my grandparents one Xmas. I remember kinda goin' nuts and banging on the box a little when I first opened it.The Killer WHALE? That thing kicked ***, I remember getting it and I don't even remember whining for it, I think I just blocked it out. Great set, way too many easily-lost parts. :p I absolutely loved the little launching sled with its own door.

Gi Joe was a huge part of my childhood and did overtake Star Wars for a while as my favorite. Also liked MOTU.Absolutely the same here.

sjd9299
01-24-2007, 10:07 PM
The Killer WHALE? That thing kicked ***, I remember getting it and I don't even remember whining for it, I think I just blocked it out. Great set, way too many easily-lost parts. :p I absolutely loved the little launching sled with its own door.

Absolutely the same here.

Even though I was getting a little old. I loved the black and red Night Force version even more when it came out.
http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/88/nightstriker/
For me too, Joe and He-Man quickly over took Star Wars as my favorite toys. Joe was the one that got played with the most because they moved so much better and had cooler accessories. But as an adult collector Star Wars seems cooler. I do not know why. Maybe because there are not 6 awesome Joe movies.

JediTricks
01-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Aiyee! I was rarely down for those repaints, they were often just too gaudy for me. The only repaint vehicles in the Joe line I could ever stomach all the way across the board was the Sky Patrol chromed vehicles line: http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/90/skysharc/
(love me the SHARC original, didn't pick up the Sky Patrol revisit until 10 years ago on ebay).

I also liked Joe more because they could move better, plus they had more vehicles that could hold multiple guys and they had tons of accessories where SW guys had like 2 at the best. There are a few Joe vehicles where the figure actually has to use the neck bent forward and knees bent and hands on controls and the mid-torso tilting forward, like the Cobra Rage: http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/90/rage/
it made the figures really look like they were piloting them, not like mannequins set aside for redressing. :p

bigbarada
01-25-2007, 12:13 AM
Star Wars, Transformers and GI Joe were the "big three" for me as a kid.

For Star Wars, it was just the AT-AT and the A-Wing. I was never happy with the figures as a kid until the ROTJ line, the limited articulation was always a giant negative for me. I didn't really start appreciating the figures until years after they disappeared from shelves.

All the must-have Star Wars figures for me were just ones that they had never made: Vader with a cloth cape & removable helmet, Ephant Mon, Artoo with the third leg, a Stormtrooper that could turn its head, Chewie with ROTJ hairstyle, Han Stormtrooper, etc.

Transformers: I always like Soundwave and all his cassette tapes, I got a busted up Soundwave with no tapes when I was in high school and that's the closest I've ever come. Jazz and Prowl were the main cars that I wanted but never got.

GI Joe: The S.H.A.R.C. with Deep Six and Mutt & Junkyard, were the toys I always dreamed of but never got until I was an adult.

I always wanted the transforming SDF-1 from the Robotech line, but never got one.

vader121
01-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Very true that Gi Joe toys were better than Star Wars but they had some pretty lame stuff out too like the Gi Joe Headquarters. Even as a kid I knew that not having a back to it was a major tactical problem. Not unless you had it up against a mountain but then how could the Vamp and Mobat drive up in there?:tired:

i really liked the huge assortment of figures and especially loved the Cobra figures. Just way cool looking. They got a little crazy with repaints and having a figure for everything but they were still cool.

I only had a few Transformers (Insecticons, Ravage & the guy disk (name?), and a mini spy). Had a few Gobots too but the Gobots were just way lame and very cheaply made. Even though my parents and grandparents bought me a lot of cool toys as a kid the Transformers weren't a big part I think because of the cost.

stillakid
01-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Very true that Gi Joe toys were better than Star Wars but they had some pretty lame stuff out too like the Gi Joe Headquarters. Even as a kid I knew that not having a back to it was a major tactical problem. Not unless you had it up against a mountain but then how could the Vamp and Mobat drive up in there?:tired:

i really liked the huge assortment of figures and especially loved the Cobra figures. Just way cool looking. They got a little crazy with repaints and having a figure for everything but they were still cool.

I only had a few Transformers (Insecticons, Ravage & the guy disk (name?), and a mini spy). Had a few Gobots too but the Gobots were just way lame and very cheaply made. Even though my parents and grandparents bought me a lot of cool toys as a kid the Transformers weren't a big part I think because of the cost.

I'm not familiar with GI Joe stuff at all, but I vaguely recall that the HQ was like a little motorhome? Right? If so, that was a revamp from the 6-Million Dollar Man motorhome (that I did have.)

LusiferSam
01-25-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm not familiar with GI Joe stuff at all, but I vaguely recall that the HQ was like a little motorhome? Right? If so, that was a revamp from the 6-Million Dollar Man motorhome (that I did have.)

6-Million Dollar Man toys were made by Kenner, as I recall. So, no any Joe HQ would not have been based on that design. There were several HQ playsets though. The first was the '83 Headquarters Command Center (http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/83/headquarters/), which I think is what most people are talking about right now. The Mobile Command Center (http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/87/mobilecommandcenter/) might be what your thinking about stilla. The last one (of the original RAH line) was the G.I. Joe Headquarters (http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/92/headquarters/) from '92. There were a number of other playsets or vehicles that could HQ like or be used in a HQ diorama.

I didn't get in G.I. Joe until '85-'86. Prior that SW and MOTU had been my main toys (with legos supplementing). I really loved the Cobra stuff. They had much cooler figures and vehicles than the Joes. At the time I was into G.I. Joe ('85-'88 with a small resurgences in '91), I liked it better than SW. Looking back Hasbro did make better toys than Kenner between '82-'85. I think that Hasbro built off the success of Kenner's SW figures and took it to the next step. After '85 the line became very cartoonish and got really bad between '92-'94.

The must have Cobras I wanted were Destro ('83) and Storm Shadow ('84). I thought these two were the coolest figures ever made. There really wasn't a vehicle or playset that was must have. Sure, there were a number that I wanted, but I did have a number of vehicles.

bigbarada
01-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Hasbro started taking the snake-theme of Cobra a little too literally after 1986. It started with Serpentor and just got worse from there.

Rogue II
01-25-2007, 05:14 PM
I didn't have too much GI Joe stuff--a handfull of figures, the snowmobile, a mail away wind-surf board thing, and a playset "base" that was a platform (sort of like an oil drilling rig with a heli-pad on it).

My younger brother had tons of GI Joe...planes, tanks, boats, and the Terror Dome.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-25-2007, 05:47 PM
totally not SW Related, but as a young lad, I could NEVER find The Blank from the "Dick Tracy" action figure line. I found out that the figure had not been released in the states due to some issues with the figure revealing a huge spoiler, so disney yanked the figure. It only got a release in Canada. And yesterday I got one on e-bay. This figure had caused so much anguish; i used to have DREAMS where I would find it in some random mall toy store and wake up, clutching my extra pillow. But no more! I won't even tell you guys how much I spent on it. :crazed:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Lists... LISTS! :evil: :thumbsup:

Star Wars
Looking at the POTF card backs, I drooled over Trooper Luke, Carbonite Han, and DS Gunner. I had friends who had AT-ATs (which I wanted... along with several other items), so that wasn't as strong a desire. But the Death Star playset. Oh, man...

Transformers
Megatron. Not hard to find, but just expensive for my family at the time. And any of the Deluxe Insecticons (did ANY of you ever see these in real life, not just a catalog? :confused: ), or a build-a-giant-robot besides the Constructicons.

GI Joe
A lot of stuff.

Comics
Amazing Spiderman #129 (1st Punisher), Capt America #241 (another Punisher appearance that I just never could locate), TMNT #1, and Jim Nastics #2 (I got #1 in a grab-bag and always wondered if there ever was a second issue).

vader121
01-26-2007, 07:58 AM
You want lists, ok

Gi Joe
I was always big into building armies so I wanted as many Cobra soldiers, etc I could get my hands on. When I was like 12 or something I got several Cobra soldiers for Xmas and a few Cobra officers which is great but I remember my Dad saying that he saw tons and tons of Crimson Guards in there travels but didn't know that i wanted those too. Oh the army I could have had.
I kinda wanted the aircraft carrier even though it was massive and kinda unpractical for play to a point. I remember seeing it at Gold Circle and the box was just huge.

MOTU
Always wanted Castle Grayskull but never got it. In fact I only got a bunch of the figures and a few vehicles. Never had a 'home' for them. lol

Star Wars
Always wanted the Shuttle but it was pretty hard to find I guess and it was too big. Plus it was towards the end of when playing with toys was considered ok. When you reach about 13 it becomes childish and uncool. So I just waited till I was in my 20's to start playing again (kidding of course). lol

Fisher Price
I remember when I was real little when they used to have carded Fisher Price figures and I really liked the black and silver robot figure and wanted to amass an army of them to use as like a new Empire robot army (kinda like the Bats in GiJoe). Alas I only got one and I never really saw them in stores too much after that first time.

Memories ...

JediTricks
01-28-2007, 04:01 AM
For Star Wars, it was just the AT-AT and the A-Wing. I was never happy with the figures as a kid until the ROTJ line, the limited articulation was always a giant negative for me. I didn't really start appreciating the figures until years after they disappeared from shelves.Same here for the most part. It also helped for me that the sculpting took a pretty good upturn by ROTJ as well.

All the must-have Star Wars figures for me were just ones that they had never made: Artoo with the third legHaw! that's one I wanted to see them do when I was a kid too.

GI Joe: The S.H.A.R.C. with Deep Six and Mutt & Junkyard, were the toys I always dreamed of but never got until I was an adult.Deep Six's helmet dome comes off, makes for more "realistic" play, I learned that as a kid, it gets you a bonus 3rd point of articulation. :p

They got a little crazy with repaints and having a figure for everything but they were still cool.Repaints have always been Hasbro's bread and butter, especially with GI Joe. The first year of RAH, nearly every figure shares several body parts with most of the others.

Hasbro started taking the snake-theme of Cobra a little too literally after 1986. It started with Serpentor and just got worse from there.Too true, that's around the time my Joes really exploded with new guys while my Cobras languished with just a handful of recruits.

Transformers And any of the Deluxe Insecticons (did ANY of you ever see these in real life, not just a catalog? :confused: )These did not get much of a release past the 2nd year because the molds were designed by Bandai and Takara had a heavy rivalry going, also Bandai wouldn't let Hasbro use the characters on the show (a la Jetfire) so they didn't get much support.

JON9000
01-28-2007, 09:38 AM
I got most every STAR WARS toy I wanted as a kid. The ones I was dieing for were the DEATH STAR and the MILLENIUM FALCON. A kid who was about 6 years older than me had the Death Star setup on a table in his room with his figures inside, and I remember being in total awe of it.

From G.I.JOE, I remember going bonkers for the COBRA RATTLER and the HOVERCRAFT, as well as the original STORM SHADOW. (funny story, somebody was telling me at work that I should dress for the job I want instead of the job I have, to which I replied "I don't think I could get away with Ninja clothes at work!"). :ninja:

MOTU. I think I got just about everything... I remember seeing the Kaybee display window set up with toys for Christmas one year and going insane for TRAPJAW and TRI-CLOPS.

TRANSFORMERS- I never got any of the really big ones... I wanted JETFIRE and OMEGA SUPREME the most. 1986 was about the end of my interest in toys. Until 1995.

JediTricks
01-28-2007, 09:25 PM
I never got Jetfire, but I did actually get Omega Supreme. The train going around the track was surprisingly dull. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
01-29-2007, 07:20 PM
I never got Jetfire, but I did actually get Omega Supreme. The train going around the track was surprisingly dull. :pI just had to get Jetfire, because he was a Robotech vehicle, only bigger. Currently, my JF is a slot machine (one-armed) on tilt. :( BTW, JT how could a track be dull? The thing goes around...

and around...

and around...

and then smashes into a flaming, twisted wreck of plastic and metal pins! :evil: Ahem.

Kidhuman
01-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Same reason I got JEtFire BCJ, Robotech Veritech fighter. I loved it and want it again. :(

Rogue II
01-29-2007, 09:24 PM
For some reason, reading through this thread brought back a memory of mine involving our tree-fort, my brother's Zartan figure, an "Air Jammer" (air pump powered car), and some fire crackers. Good times. Poor Zartan.

sjd9299
01-29-2007, 09:40 PM
For some reason, reading through this thread brought back a memory of mine involving our tree-fort, my brother's Zartan figure, an "Air Jammer" (air pump powered car), and some fire crackers. Good times. Poor Zartan.

That reminds me of the time I set my Zartan above a light so that he would change color. I got called to dinner shortly after placing him above the light. A forgotten Zartan nearly caught on fire. I came back to my room to find a smoking, chared, black, burnt Zartan. After that he was always the figure I used when I wanted to have a prisoner of some kind.

figrin bran
01-29-2007, 10:09 PM
I always wanted Jetfire as well but had to settle for a small knockoff veritech. I also wanted all the dinobots but only got Snarl. Optimus Prime and Soundwave i really wanted and actually got.

for SW, i never really wanted the larger vehicles and got the TIE Fighter and Snowspeeder. I tried to get all the bounty hunters but never got Dengar, 4-LOM/Zuckuss and Zuckuss/4-LOM

i preferred SW and TF's over GI Joe and so my collection of those wasn't as large. I always wanted the SHARC but never got it until last year

sjd9299
01-30-2007, 05:03 PM
I always wanted Jetfire as well but had to settle for a small knockoff veritech. I also wanted all the dinobots but only got Snarl. Optimus Prime and Soundwave i really wanted and actually got.

for SW, i never really wanted the larger vehicles and got the TIE Fighter and Snowspeeder. I tried to get all the bounty hunters but never got Dengar, 4-LOM/Zuckuss and Zuckuss/4-LOM

i preferred SW and TF's over GI Joe and so my collection of those wasn't as large. I always wanted the SHARC but never got it until last year

I remember one year for my birthday my Grandma took me to a Toys R Us in Pittsburgh. She said I could get anything I wanted. I rememer being in the Transformers and debating between Divebomb or Gnaw. I ended up going with Divebomb, as I wanted to get all of the Predacons to make Predaking. I never got another of the Predacons. I think that will be one of the next things I try and get. If I would just stick to one toy line I might be able to complete a collection. But what would the fun of that be?

Jayspawn
01-31-2007, 10:17 PM
This doesnt pertain to Kenner Toys but when I was young my parents got me in the Fan Club. Every four months the SW Insider would arrive and I earerly awaited it. And everytime it would arrive I would see the Han Solo in Carbonite Replica by Illusive Concepts and imagined and fantasized what it would be like to own that amazing collectible.

Now I'm in talks to purchase one. But the dream is very much alive. That was my "got to have that toy" when I was little.

BountyHunterScum
02-01-2007, 12:52 PM
I wanted Robocop with Robovoice but sadly kenner cancelled it's production. They also took a very cool Firebolt Batman design and f-ed it up into some simple cheap bastard design.

mtriv73
02-01-2007, 01:53 PM
I really wanted the original Slave-1 when it came out. Unfortunately, my parents were getting divorced so money got kind of tight. I finally got it later that year, but it seemed like an eternity until I finally had it.