PDA

View Full Version : Rumored Bothan Spy figure will cause some angst

Tycho
01-22-2007, 03:29 PM
It is still rumor at this point that we'll get a Bothan Spy figure this year.

Bothans were never seen in any SW movie. The Coruscant Taxi Cab Driver in TPM was not a Bothan - though it was similar in appearance.

Bothans have been drawn extensively in Dark Horse Comics, though there are several styles. They are loosely described as:

a lion or cat-like creature

a goat-like creature

These do sort of look different if you saw the drawings.

Since Bothans are entirely EU, there are several famous EU characters that are Bothans:

Koth Melan was the Bothan Spy Master who stole the plans for the second Death Star in Shadows of the Empire. I believe he died along with his men, getting the plans to Mon Mothma's contact, prompting "Many Bothans died to bring us this information."

Borssky Fey'lya was a politician who rose through the Rebel Alliance into the ranks of the New Republic and challenged Princess Leia's authority as the new Chief of State. Fey'lya was later elected as one of Leia's (not immediate) successors and his administration ruled until the Yuuzhan Vong invasion and the destruction of Coruscant's surface.

There was a Fleet Admiral in the New Republic who was actually very respectable, though his name escapes me. He was first loyal to Fey'lya, but Leia pursuaded him to politically betray the senior Bothan who was conniving his own rise to power. He was most prominent in the Black Fleet Crisis I believe.

Bothans predominantly have their notoriety based in the Expanded Universe of the Classic Trilogy (most of it post-ESB).

Not everyone will agree which artistic depiction of a Bothan is appropriate for an action figure, much less if it should be generic, or one of these character specifics. (I'd argue for at least 3 figures - the two aforementioned characters, and the generic soldier - but perhaps released not all at once).

Still, others who are not reading this thread will pop up saying the Coruscant Taxi Cab driver is a Bothan - and this tiresome angle will go on for quite a while as well.

dindae
01-22-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't think any one representation is better or worse than the other. I hope they do make it Fey'lya just because he is the only one I know.

El Chuxter
01-22-2007, 04:04 PM
But he is not a spy.

I would be mad.

j/k

Kidhuman
01-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Many Hasbros reps have died bringing us this info.

Slicker
01-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Isn't that taxi driver in the cut scene from TPM a Bothan?

2-1B
01-22-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm gonna buy these by the caseload and send one to Slick every week that he is gone to Japan. :)

Tycho
01-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Slicker, I almost threw a Mouse Droid at you, but thought better of it.

I know I have an extra JarJar figure around here somewhere...

Darth Jax
01-22-2007, 09:49 PM
there was a bothan member of rogue squadron for a time as well.

DarkArtist
01-23-2007, 10:17 AM
hey it would be cool to see another EU Figure made. Would really like to see a few different versions of it made maybe variants that way we could have an army of them similiar to the Wookies from ROTS.

stillakid
01-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Bothan members of the 502nd will be driving their cabs in next year's Rose Bowl parade.

Slicker
01-23-2007, 11:25 AM
hey it would be cool to see another EU Figure made. I think we're already getting too many EU figures to begin with. This one I can kinda live with since it's not being released because it's trendy *cough*QuinlanVox*cough*

Rogue II
01-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Its just a matter of time before some EU source claims that Bothans either are shapeshifters or have different races like the Gungans or Aqualish. I don't care what it looks like, I'm not buying it.

stillakid
01-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Its just a matter of time before some EU source claims that Bothans either are shapeshifters or have different races like the Gungans or Aqualish. I don't care what it looks like, I'm not buying it.

There should be Barney Miller action figures with FISH variants.

El Chuxter
01-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Is that an obscure Cartoon Planet reference?

Or did Barney Miller really have something to do with fish?

Kidhuman
01-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Fish was a charcter on Barney Miller played by Abe Vagoda.

El Chuxter
01-23-2007, 01:53 PM
A'ight.

Now the line, "And Barney Miller spat out fish," makes a lot more sense. :)

Jargo
01-23-2007, 02:26 PM
why would this cause anyone angst? it's a toy. who really gets bent out of shape about a dang toy?it's nearly february. which means TOYFAIR NYC. which means pitures of upcoming product and official lists.
I aint gonna lose any sleep about toys when the makers are gonna fess up an' give us the skinny soon.
Bothans suck anyway. what kind of spy gets caught. what kind of lame spy organisation gets a whole bunch of themselves wiped out? dumbass assclowns!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-23-2007, 06:20 PM
With all that angst going around, it sure would be nice to have some bubble gum to chew on.