PDA

View Full Version : Figures becoming scarce again

tagmac
01-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Well, we're into that yearly after-Christmas phase of absolute zip on the shelves. I went to TRU tonight, and they had empty pegs in the entire SW section, save for a lone Moff Jerjerrod, the equivalent of Mon Mothma last year. It's bad enough this middle-aged loser has been scalping all the Clones and other new figs to a local comic shop, but the pegs aren't even being replenished. Good luck to anyone looking for the last wave with the Kashyyk Scout Clone - if TRU's and other stores everywhere are like mine, these will be impossible to find.

JediTricks
01-22-2007, 10:40 PM
I hate first-quarter collecting, stores don't want to put anything out, shipments dry up, collecting becomes VERY spotty. It's always like this, the first respite often being in March but I remember a few years back there was no new SW found until July.

decadentdave
01-22-2007, 10:45 PM
That's funny cuz I found all of the last Saga wave at Toys R Us last week and also the latest 2 waves of Titanium ships (Crimson Guard Tie, Invisible Hand, Queen's Skiff, etc). I must have dropped over 2 Benjamins on new Hasbro Star Wars toys this month alone. More than I did before X-mas.

Oh yeah, almost forgot... new Battle Packs at Target.

Darth Cruel
01-22-2007, 10:55 PM
I am still hopeful, but I am not sweating it one way or the other. I expect to get a case of wave 9 from the first shipment that EE gets...even if that IS March. And the Wal-Mart exclusive wave is so unpopular that they will warm the shelves even if they don't show up until NEXT Christmas.

And the army-builders that I want from wave 9 will end up in future assortments...even if it is not until 2008.

Kidhuman
01-22-2007, 11:20 PM
No wave 9 here yet either. JT, I hope this isnt a reprise of the great drought of 03.

figrin bran
01-23-2007, 02:59 AM
please, please don't let it be a reprise of 03.

plasticfetish
01-23-2007, 03:59 AM
The TRU near me has dried up since the holidays, but I noticed that they were doing inventory the last time I was in. Target is always a bit random, with a few new things hitting the pegs every week or so. Between a local shop that seems to get fresh cases in pretty often and early (they charge a little more though) and my local Target(s), I've managed to find what I want.

I don't mind waiting 'til things show up. It's not a race.

JediTricks
01-23-2007, 06:05 AM
That's funny cuz I found all of the last Saga wave at Toys R Us last week and also the latest 2 waves of Titanium ships (Crimson Guard Tie, Invisible Hand, Queen's Skiff, etc). I must have dropped over 2 Benjamins on new Hasbro Star Wars toys this month alone. More than I did before X-mas.My theory is that goes to prove how inept TRU is that they are so late in shelving December product.

New product during Jan/Feb/Mar always is the most frustrating for me because the odds of it actually being findable are very very poor, something new comes out but the stores don't want to put stuff out, they do so very lightly and it's hard to find.

No wave 9 here yet either. JT, I hope this isnt a reprise of the great drought of 03.Not likely because this time Hasbro's actually changing the name of the line and that resonates with retailers, they like to get together and share the communal lie that this is all somehow "new" product that way, and if it's new they'll take more of a chance that customers will be more drawn to buying it. MAN I hope this won't be like '03!!! You and Figgy are making me nervous, I have Titaniums to find and there are 3 waves out now that are not going to get much refreshing.

DarkArtist
01-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Well here's hoping that the drought will end and we will soon see pges of new product including both wave 8 and 9. as far as walmart i think the only figures that will be hard to find will be the R2 unit and Aurra, the rest will pegwarm. as far as seeing the last waves again, don't be surprised if Hasbro decides to release these on new cards similiar to the end of the first Saga sets with the Han AT-ST, Madine and Calrissian.

El Chuxter
01-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Hey, if anyone needs Jerjerrod or Lushros, I can help out.

For any other character, you're on your own.

Kidhuman
01-23-2007, 11:19 AM

Shame, I was gonna ask you how many you needed.

Rogue II
01-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Last weekend, I went to one of the smaller Wal-marts in town that I ususally don't visit. They had 3 pegs full of VSTC Han, Greedo, and Tusen Raiders. All the other WMs I've been to in town clearanced those things out a long time ago. They also had a bunch of older waves.

tagmac
01-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Are you sure you don't need a Nemoidian Guard instead? How about a Mon Mothma? Anyone? Beuler..........Beuler................?

......oh wait a minute, that was last year. I guess I got confused by all of those figures I saw on the pegs last night. :D

JEDIpartner
01-23-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm just happy that those stupid Greatest Battles figures or whatever they are called are finally going away!!!

JON9000
01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
something new comes out but the stores don't want to put stuff out, they do so very lightly and it's hard to find.

I don't understand why a store would not restock empty pegs if they have new stock available. Wal-mart has based its business on stocking shelves with incredible efficency. I know that some of the larger stores have recently underwent an total aisle reformat, perhaps that combined with the two-packs that are now hitting make some impact.

I can say with certainty that none of my Wal-marts ever carried VTSC or the Cantina Band. The shelves/pegs were never even marked for them.

My own feeling is that it simply takes a long time to ramp back up after almost completely emptying inventory around X-mas. Until new items are shipped, what is currently on the peg might simply be all that is left! The good news is that when new items do come in, the pegs will be free so they will hopefully be stocked.

Kidhuman
01-23-2007, 10:06 PM
One thing I was thinking about otday is inventory time for retail stores. Usually they dont pack out merch if they have inventory coming up to make it easier to count, so this might be a hold up as well.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Last weekend, I went to one of the smaller Wal-marts in town that I ususally don't visit. They had 3 pegs full of VSTC Han, Greedo, and Tusen Raiders. All the other WMs I've been to in town clearanced those things out a long time ago. They also had a bunch of older waves.There was an endcap here that was full of those three VTSC as well, and as far as I could tell they stayed at $9.96. Your Wal-Mart sounds like mine. Tons of older stuff and greatest battles, but very little new stuff. Still haven't found the Endor Luke.

One thing I was thinking about otday is inventory time for retail stores. Usually they dont pack out merch if they have inventory coming up to make it easier to count, so this might be a hold up as well.The company I worked for switched to cycle counting several years ago, so no more exhausting full inventories to perform.

figrin bran
01-24-2007, 12:51 AM

For any other character, you're on your own.

i want to army build Greatest Battles Pregnant Padme...can any of you guys help? :p

Phantom-like Menace
01-24-2007, 01:26 AM
as far as walmart i think the only figures that will be hard to find will be the R2 unit and Aurra, the rest will pegwarm.

I know the astromech is the only one I want. I ordered the #2 astromech set from EE and scored the Hoth multipack (from TRU a couple years back--don't know why I decided to wait to get it) and R3-D3 on eBay, so as soon as those three items arrive, I'm completely up to date on all astromechs not based on the Thermonuclear R5-D4 mold except for Darth Vader's droid and Mace's droid. After having to pay sixty dollars for the Hoth set, I'm not inclined to wait a few years for these two.

plasticfetish
01-24-2007, 02:15 AM
The company I worked for switched to cycle countingWho do (did?) you work for again? (Honestly, I forgot.)

I noticed that TRU still does it the old way, with their after X-mas inventory teams that swarm around the store. It's a pretty backwards way of doing things... but they're not the most progressive company.

Just the same, I think Kidhuman may have a good point. At the very least, after the holidays the toy section probably becomes a low priority for the big box stores like Wal*Mart and Target, who are starting to focus on resets and new seasonal merchandise.

decadentdave
01-24-2007, 02:41 AM
My Walmarts still have tons of VSTC figures on clearance for $9.96. If these were at Target they would have been marked down to $2.98 about 3 weeks after they first hit the pegs.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Who do (did?) you work for again? (Honestly, I forgot.)Actually, I mistyped. I should have said the company I work for now, which I don't think I have mentioned. I did work at Wal-Mart many years ago, 1996-1998. I was never involved in the inventory there since I worked in the cash office. Now, I generate lists of counts for each of our warehouses and showrooms each week.

JediTricks
01-24-2007, 09:41 PM
I don't understand why a store would not restock empty pegs if they have new stock available. Wal-mart has based its business on stocking shelves with incredible efficency. I know that some of the larger stores have recently underwent an total aisle reformat, perhaps that combined with the two-packs that are now hitting make some impact.One thing is flexibility, a lot of stores want to change their layouts after christmas and then change it again before Spring. Another is Toy Fair, stores don't want seem to want to commit to stocking a line until after February now (I don't really understand why). And like others have said, stocking the slow-sales toy department after x-mas is a low-priority to large stores.

I can say with certainty that none of my Wal-marts ever carried VTSC or the Cantina Band. The shelves/pegs were never even marked for them. Wal-marts have been considering halting their toy departments in some (perhaps all) markets altogether except in the Fall runup to the holidays because it's one of their least-profitable departments and requires a lot of man-hours to keep it going.

Kidhuman
01-24-2007, 11:13 PM
My Walmarts still have tons of VSTC figures on clearance for $9.96. If these were at Target they would have been marked down to $2.98 about 3 weeks after they first hit the pegs.

Mine has them on clearance for 7 bucks. Hans, Greedos and Tuskens. If they hit below 5, I might get a few Tuskens.

The thing is they have the basic figures on clearance for 6.63, regular price.

abell748
01-25-2007, 10:01 AM
For the last 2 months, my local TRU has had about 25 Poggle the Lessers. Someone please tell me they want to army build with these.

dindae
01-25-2007, 04:36 PM
I would hope that with as much on the horizon as we have that things would start showing up soon. I did see remnants of a Wave 8 case today which I haven't seen in a while.

UKWildcat
02-01-2007, 02:51 PM
The Target near me hasn't restocked the shelves in a long while now. All they have are Jerjerrods and C3P0s warming the pegs. :sad:

mtriv73
02-01-2007, 03:16 PM
In the last 24 hours, I've seen wave 9 at 2 wal-marts and a TRU and I've seen wave 10 at 1 WM. I've even seen all the new vehicles (white tie, saesee Tinn's starfighter, etc.) at TRU.

I knew this would happen after I paid $10 each for 2 Elite corp troopers on BBTS.com on tuesday.

jedi master sal
02-01-2007, 03:57 PM
In the last 24 hours, I've seen wave 9 at 2 wal-marts and a TRU and I've seen wave 10 at 1 WM. I've even seen all the new vehicles (white tie, saesee Tinn's starfighter, etc.) at TRU.

I knew this would happen after I paid $10 each for 2 Elite corp troopers on BBTS.com on tuesday.
Well, count yourself lukcy though. Most still haven't seen wave 9 let alone 10. Heck some people are still trying to catch up on wv8.

If you get a few more figures then average that out with the cost of the two you gto from BBTS, it will fairly even out. Once in awhile taking a hit like this isn't so bad. Heck in the long run pf things it's only $6, plus you have the luxury of knowing you got them. I have the distinct feeling these (Elite clone, ie KAshyyyk trooper) are going to extremely hard to find. As far as I can recall, they are only marked to ship in ONE case assortment. Even at 2 per that case, it's going to be woefully short of market demand.