PDA

View Full Version : Should chewing gum be included as a future pack-in with Star Wars figures?

Tycho
01-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Remember when baseball cards used to come with a stick of gum? They always used to smell so good, too. I remember I used to take cards out of my albums and sniff them sometimes, to refesh that experience. I occasionally increased my fiber intake by eating a few cards that weren't that valuable.

Well, Hasbro has placed pack-ins with our Star Wars figures since 1998: Freeze-Frames, Flashback cards, CommTech chips, Force-Files, Blast Effects, Action Figure Stands, Holograms. Why not chewing gum? Those that open their figures would get more enjoyment out of that, I think.

mabudonicus
01-23-2007, 08:29 AM
I thought the guns in the first sets of POTFII figs were made of gum but they had to stop it after too many folks complained
:beard::mebs: Isobaws&

mtriv73
01-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Keeping the issue of young children then associating the small parts in their toys with food aside, that gum was disgusting. And, if it came in different flavors then you know some idiot would want to collect every variant: "I'll trade you a Darth Maul watermlon for a Obi wan Spearmint." MOC collectors would have a fit too when they suddenly get mice and rats chewing through their collections. Unfortunately, we'll probably see Hasbro do just that in 2008.:sad:

DarkArtist
01-23-2007, 09:11 AM
Keeping the issue of young children then associating the small parts in their toys with food aside, that gum was disgusting. And, if it came in different flavors then you know some idiot would want to collect every variant: "I'll trade you a Darth Maul watermlon for a Obi wan Spearmint." MOC collectors would have a fit too when they suddenly get mice and rats chewing through their collections. Unfortunately, we'll probably see Hasbro do just that in 2008.:sad:

Ohh that sounds like a trade, yet I only want the grape flavor variants.:laugh: :laugh:

I think that Hasbro should simply stick with a concept such as the holo's stands, or coins. as far as variants, they hold little love from me. unless they truely are variants, ie Clone Pilot or Clone Commander, then I pass.
I really would love to see Hasbro make some of the themed display stands again, those things were awesome and gave a new added play value.

General_Grievous
01-23-2007, 09:43 AM
I say they shouldn't include pack-ins at all and knock the price down a few bucks.

El Chuxter
01-23-2007, 10:16 AM
I disagree, GG. I've gotten hours of fun from my freeze frames, mini holograms, and commtech chips. :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
01-23-2007, 10:18 AM
No gum in figures, the powdery substance will ruin the figures.

Rogue II
01-23-2007, 10:48 AM
That has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've read in a while.

jedi master sal
01-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Tycho, Tycho, Tycho, you and your olfactory senses just can't be satisifed....

I think it would be an extremely BAD idea to include gum.

The notion of any food with toys just isn't a good thing. Knwong that many collectos will "store" these things away for months and years at a stretch makes this argument moot. I certainly wouldnt' want to open up a tub of stuff to find it littered with roaches or rats (dead or alive) because they were after the chewing gum in my figure package.

Go back to sniffing mouse droids my friend. We are all a lot safer that way...heh.

stillakid
01-23-2007, 10:56 AM
I want Hasbro to include a playset or vehicle with every figure.

figrin bran
01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Boo on this idea! so you want Hasbro to invest in a gum manufacturing plant and pass the costs of doing so onto us?

There are still some trading card manufacturers that do put sticks of gum (albeit plastic wrapped) into their products...Topps Heritage Football/Basketball/Baseball for instance.

DarkArtist
01-23-2007, 11:16 AM
I want Hasbro to include a playset or vehicle with every figure.

cool idea but then the figures would be around $10 to $25 bucks depending on the accessory packed in. look at General Riekan and the hoth display scene dubbed a dleuxe figure because of the pack in accessory.

in regards to the gum idea i would rather they include something like a pack of cards like the old Topps Star Wars sets or something. I even thought the Force Files were a cool idea as well.

LTBasker
01-23-2007, 11:39 AM
The gum would probably be made of the rubbery plastic they use, may as well just chew on the figure. :p

stillakid
01-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Every figure should come with two guns again like they used to whether they need them or not. And maybe a hamburger.

El Chuxter
01-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Every figure should come with a pack-in of Padme in one of her 7,546 unreleased outfits.

bigbarada
01-23-2007, 12:42 PM
You mean the hologram figures aren't made of chewing gum? :eek: Then why have I been eating them all this time?

stillakid
01-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Every figure should come with a pack-in of Padme in one of her 7,546 unreleased outfits.

But you're only allowed to look at each figure for 5.7 seconds, which is the average length of screentime that each costume had.

Even Stevie Nicks wore her clothes longer, which is saying a lot!

I mean, sh**, strippers keep their clothes on longer than Padme ever did.

LTBasker
01-23-2007, 01:37 PM
That's because Lucas can throw around larger bills than you can. :p

I hope after the coin thing is over, they stick with stands like saga2 had and nothing else besides more accessories.

stillakid
01-23-2007, 02:12 PM
That's because Lucas can throw around larger bills than you can. :p

I hope after the coin thing is over, they stick with stands like saga2 had and nothing else besides more accessories.

Maybe they should make coins with little nubbies to stick the feet into, so you get a "collectable" coin that is also useful.

LTBasker
01-23-2007, 02:19 PM
That'd be pretty cool, I wouldn't mind them doing that. That'd be a really interesting sight to have a set on display on coin stands.

bobafrett
01-23-2007, 08:10 PM
My gum would go bad because I'm a carded collector and also I don't chew gum, unless my breath is really, really bad.

Old Fossil
01-23-2007, 08:45 PM
They should pack-in mini Unleashed troopers instead. I'd pay an extra $1 if I could buy a new Clone trooper which had a pack-in mini Snowtrooper. At least the pack-in wouldn't end up in a Ziploc bag, packed away with old loose POTF2 figures... maybe.

I know H. would never go for mixing separate lines like that, though... would they?

2-1B
01-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Every package should come with an action figure to scale, preferably of a character that was actually in a Star Wars movie.

Rocketboy
01-23-2007, 08:52 PM
In celebration snagging an Yzerman rookie, I once ate the piece of gum from a 1986(?) pack of hockey cards.

It turned to a disgusting dust in my mouth.

Kidhuman
01-23-2007, 09:21 PM
I did that in 91 when I bought a pack of 84 topps that had McGwires Olympic card in it. I swear one would think it was Anthrax the way it tasted.

Tycho
01-23-2007, 10:41 PM
I have McGuire's olympic card as well. I no longer have the gum that came with it though.

That's interesting about eating the old gum and having it turn to dust. I'll have to pursue that experience.

stillakid
01-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Every package should come with an action figure to scale, preferably of a character that was actually in a Star Wars movie.

You mean 1:1 ? They'll need bigger pegs.

Tycho
01-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Oh, I'll pre-order the Natalie Portman Padme Amidala, Aayla Secura, and Shaak-Ti figures! :love:

mabudonicus
01-24-2007, 08:24 AM
I actually ate the gum from a pack of cards from ANH about 10 (likely a few more) years ago, we were kinda under the influence of.... SW at the time and wondered if we could recapture the magic, it kinda worked, the particular mix they used on the SW gum was REAL long lasting and tasty :beard: :mebs: Isobaws&

El Chuxter
01-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Oh, I'll pre-order the Natalie Portman Padme Amidala, Aayla Secura, and Shaak-Ti figures! :love:

Shaak Ti but not Barriss Offee?

Dude, WTF? You'd take a clown with horns over a woman with a slight green tint?

DarkArtist
01-24-2007, 11:56 AM
I actually ate the gum from a pack of cards from ANH about 10 (likely a few more) years ago, we were kinda under the influence of.... SW at the time and wondered if we could recapture the magic, it kinda worked, the particular mix they used on the SW gum was REAL long lasting and tasty :beard: :mebs: Isobaws&

I actually ate the gum from a series 1 Star Wars pack last night. it tasted like ten year old dust. the piece actually cracked and crumbled in my hands. the funny thing about it though was that it still could form a bubble.

stillakid
01-24-2007, 11:58 AM
the funny thing about it though was that it still could form a bubble.

Yeah, but it's not supposed to do that on its own. :sur:

Bobby Fett
01-24-2007, 12:27 PM
... I don't chew gum, unless my breath is really, really bad.

It's time. :D

dindae
01-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Tycho aren't you afraid that the gum scent will contaminate the smell of the figures?

stillakid
01-24-2007, 03:26 PM
What if they started making figures out of gum? Kill two birds with one stone.

Tycho
01-24-2007, 04:48 PM
What if they started making figures out of gum? Kill two birds with one stone.

That would be great because I've always wanted to eat my action figures!

I'd pretend I was the Sando Aqua Monster attacking the Naboo. YUM!

Tycho aren't you afraid that the gum scent will contaminate the smell of the figures?

I actually must state a preference for the smell of the gum over the smell of the figures. Knowing me, you never would have "figured." But honestly, the appeal for the smell of new figures is that it's reminiscient of SUCCESS in hunting, because the old stuff doesn't smell like freshly packaged plastic after so long - so there's only that short while when a scent can remind you that a trip to Wal-Mart at 6 in the morning was worthwhile afterall. Honestly, that's the appeal.

The Mouse Droid held its scent for the longest while (actually surpassed by 7" Boba Fett Unleashed) and the whole sniffing figures thing parodies idiots abusing drugs, as either hobby consumes a lot of money.

Shaak Ti but not Barriss Offee?

Dude, WTF? You'd take a clown with horns over a woman with a slight green tint?

At Celebration 3 I met the actresses behind many of the Jedi (and I've known Amy Allen (Secura) for while prior to that as she's a friend of a friend's).

Orli Soshan (spelling), an Israeli girl who was cast as Shaak-Ti is incredible! One of the biggest sins George Lucas committed was covering her up as an alien Jedi when she would have given Natalie Portman a run for her money (see picture link) had Orli been cast as a human.

The girl who plays Bariss was a little heavier-set.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13703&d=1143805576

El Chuxter
01-24-2007, 05:38 PM
But we're not talking about Soshan and Krishnan. We're talking about Shaak Ti and Barriss Offee.

Charlize Theron is cute. But her character was not cute in Monster.

Tycho
01-24-2007, 05:41 PM
No - we were talking about chewing gum and I don't know how this conversation got on to Orli Soshan...LOL

El Chuxter
01-24-2007, 05:46 PM
I've got it!

How about every Star Wars figure between now and 2018, including exclusives, comes with a piece to build a life-sized figure of Slicker's Mom?

El Chuxter
01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
I've got it!

How about every Star Wars figure between now and 2018, including exclusives, comes with a piece to build a life-sized figure of Slicker's Mom?

And with that, I think I just jumped the shark.

Tycho
01-24-2007, 05:52 PM
I've got it!

I don't even know what she looks like. Besides, I so much prefer girls to moms.

And you're off-topic again. I don't want this thread to be closed down. I'm very serious about including bubblegum with my action figures. Imagine not having to worry about getting anything else to eat during the drive between Wal-Mart and Target!

JediTricks
01-24-2007, 11:22 PM
And with that, I think I just jumped the shark.
And here I thought you just jumped Slicker's Mom.

(There, now we've totally jumped the shark on that bit)

Tycho, I'm not going to ask it until literally every other question ever has been asked, it's not going to happen, it's a bad idea and Hasbro wouldn't do it due to lawsuits, it's silly and pointless and nonsense, I know you're gung-ho about it but let it go.

El Chuxter
01-25-2007, 10:50 AM
So, theoretically, you would ask for a figure of Slicker's Mom before you'd ask about chewing gum?

Yeah, the shark's been jumped. That comment's about as funny as Frasier after Daphne and Niles got together.

Kidhuman
01-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah, the shark's been jumped. That comment's about as funny as Frasier after Daphne and Niles got together.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!

El Chuxter
01-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Don't worry.

Like Frasier, I will continue to make Slicker's Mom jokes until I'm finally beaten into submission.

bobafrett
01-25-2007, 09:23 PM
That would be great because I've always wanted to eat my action figures!

I think you would chew the gum figures and then take them and mold each one into several mouse droids, until you amassed a great army of gum smelling mouse droids.

Tycho
01-25-2007, 09:39 PM
I think you would chew the gum figures and then take them and mold each one into several mouse droids, until you amassed a great army of gum smelling mouse droids.

Cool plan!