PDA

View Full Version : ANH Force FX Lightsabers: what's the difference other than the box?

Tycho
01-23-2007, 02:51 PM
I have the Force FX lightsabers of:

Anakin Skywalker E3
Darth Vader E5 (I think)

I think I saved the boxes in my storage, but I keep the lightsabers on display and accessable here at home (love them, as a matter of fact - and I also own Luke's E6 and Darth Maul's double blades).

I've seen examples of how the scaled replicas and LE's are different between the movies because the props varied, but the FXs (my personal favorites) are altered as it is, to accomodate the FX blade and electronics.

I don't think there's much room to retool these for the very small differences in the sabers between films (due to the need for new props when they shot the movies no less).

The Vader seems to have less clash sounds than the others (but more swinging sounds) - and I don't know if this is standard between E5 and E6 Vaders, or even if there is / was an E3 Vader and that is what I actually have. :confused:

What has MR actually made in Force FX?

E1 Maul
E2 Yoda (is it from AOTC or ROTS?)
E3 Mace (or is it E2: AOTC?)
E3 Obi-Wan (A New Hope style)
E3 Anakin
E4 Vader (NEW)
E4 Luke (NEW)
E5 Luke (first one, I believe)
E5 Vader
E6 Luke (ROTJ saber)
E6 Vader ???

I never fail to mention the need for an E1 Obi-Wan (my all-time favorite lightsaber!)

So what if anything is the difference with E4 Lightsabers other than packaging?

BountyHunterScum
01-24-2007, 06:30 AM
Who the hell knows why they are brining the ANH version back, I want a ROTJ version.

Tycho
01-24-2007, 08:51 AM
My question remains, (and I assume you are talking about the Vader saber), in the FX scale, what is the difference?

And are there sound effect differences?

Which Vader sabers does Master Replicas already make FX models for?

BountyHunterScum
01-24-2007, 10:42 AM
My question remains, (and I assume you are talking about the Vader saber), in the FX scale, what is the difference?

And are there sound effect differences?

Which Vader sabers does Master Replicas already make FX models for?

So far they did ANH and ESB, the two are identical for the most part only the ANH's emitter has metal tooth grill inside right where the blade comes out. I think ESB has a wire or something detail on the side. I included these images as a reference because the LE saber bodies are used for the FX sabers.

http://www.rebelscum.com/mr/mr-vaderfx-27.jpg

Jayspawn
01-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Not sure why MR is re-releasing an old FX -as it seems like. I have the Vader ANH FX and it is awesome.

Tycho
01-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the picture reference James.

My blade emitter does NOT have the teeth around the emitter disc like in that picture. I must have the ESB version. I'm satisfied with that. I don't need 2 of the essentially the same saber.

MR is going to make money from completists this way (at lower cost to them) and sell to new folks who still don't have a saber of that kind.

A guy like me is going to hold out for an Obi-Wan TPM saber (and not shut up about it until he is able to buy one!)

BountyHunterScum
01-24-2007, 09:40 PM

My blade emitter does NOT have the teeth around the emitter disc like in that picture. I must have the ESB version. I'm satisfied with that. I don't need 2 of the essentially the same saber.

MR is going to make money from completists this way (at lower cost to them) and sell to new folks who still don't have a saber of that kind.

A guy like me is going to hold out for an Obi-Wan TPM saber (and not shut up about it until he is able to buy one!)

I have both versions, I hope they do ROTJ then I'm done probably.

JediTricks
01-24-2007, 10:22 PM
I've seen examples of how the scaled replicas and LE's are different between the movies because the props varied, but the FXs (my personal favorites) are altered as it is, to accomodate the FX blade and electronics.

I don't think there's much room to retool these for the very small differences in the sabers between films (due to the need for new props when they shot the movies no less).The differences aren't that small, even between the currently-released ESB Luke saber and the upcoming ANH one, or Vader's ANH saber that was already out and the ESB one and now this ANH one again. :p Ok, well that's confusing. But there are details like different knobs, different lengths of grips, different emitter shrouds. They don't retool them, they do totally different pieces for each. Hell, the original Ep 4 Vader one has a different diameter and number of batteries than the Ep 5 one.

The Vader seems to have less clash sounds than the others (but more swinging sounds) - and I don't know if this is standard between E5 and E6 Vaders, or even if there is / was an E3 Vader and that is what I actually have.MR claims the reason the Vader FX has only 1 clash sound is that when they went to Lucasfilm for the sounds, that was the only one assigned to Vader, the other clash sounds were assigned to other sabers. Personally, I think it's partly bunk as they used the same sound library on the Maul saber which had more clash sounds and a totally different hum.

You have the Ep 5 Vader saber, they didn't make an Ep 3 Force FX Vader saber. The Ep 5 Force FX Vader saber has a slightly different emitter shroud with wires, a change in activation box location, and a few other changes I believe.

E1 Maul
E2 Yoda (is it from AOTC or ROTS?)
E3 Mace (or is it E2: AOTC?)
E3 Obi-Wan (A New Hope style)
E3 Anakin
E4 Vader (NEW)
E4 Luke (NEW)
E5 Luke (first one, I believe)
E5 Vader
E6 Luke (ROTJ saber)
E6 Vader ???They did an Ep 2 Anakin saber. The Ep 4 Vader saber was done before, so now there's an Ep 4 Vader and an Ep 4 Vader version 2. The first saber in the line was the Ep 2 Anakin saber you didn't list, followed by the Luke ROTJ saber version 1 (another you forgot to list was Ep 6 Luke version 2, the one with the LEDs). There is no Ep 6 Vader saber I believe (I don't like how that saber looks anyway).

Who the hell knows why they are brining the ANH version back, I want a ROTJ version.For the 30th anniversary of ANH, that's why they're releasing an ANH version of Luke's saber as well even though it's fairly similar to the ESB one. You'll notice there's no mention of how many batteries the ANH Vader saber takes (because it's twice as many as current Force FXs), my guess is this is a straight reissue of the original version, the way they reissued the Mace saber.

My blade emitter does NOT have the teeth around the emitter disc like in that picture. I must have the ESB version. I'm satisfied with that. I don't need 2 of the essentially the same saber.Yours is the Ep 5 version, it has the wires at the shroud, the angle of the activation box is different (I think the activation box itself is different), the grips are different, the end cap threads are a little different, and is a narrower diameter because it takes less batteries.

BountyHunterScum
01-25-2007, 05:31 AM
The differences aren't that small, even between the currently-released ESB Luke saber and the upcoming ANH one, or Vader's ANH saber that was already out and the ESB one and now this ANH one again. :p Ok, well that's confusing. But there are details like different knobs, different lengths of grips, different emitter shrouds. They don't retool them, they do totally different pieces for each. Hell, the original Ep 4 Vader one has a different diameter and number of batteries than the Ep 5 one.

MR claims the reason the Vader FX has only 1 clash sound is that when they went to Lucasfilm for the sounds, that was the only one assigned to Vader, the other clash sounds were assigned to other sabers. Personally, I think it's partly bunk as they used the same sound library on the Maul saber which had more clash sounds and a totally different hum.

You have the Ep 5 Vader saber, they didn't make an Ep 3 Force FX Vader saber. The Ep 5 Force FX Vader saber has a slightly different emitter shroud with wires, a change in activation box location, and a few other changes I believe.

They did an Ep 2 Anakin saber. The Ep 4 Vader saber was done before, so now there's an Ep 4 Vader and an Ep 4 Vader version 2. The first saber in the line was the Ep 2 Anakin saber you didn't list, followed by the Luke ROTJ saber version 1 (another you forgot to list was Ep 6 Luke version 2, the one with the LEDs). There is no Ep 6 Vader saber I believe (I don't like how that saber looks anyway).

For the 30th anniversary of ANH, that's why they're releasing an ANH version of Luke's saber as well even though it's fairly similar to the ESB one. You'll notice there's no mention of how many batteries the ANH Vader saber takes (because it's twice as many as current Force FXs), my guess is this is a straight reissue of the original version, the way they reissued the Mace saber.

Yours is the Ep 5 version, it has the wires at the shroud, the angle of the activation box is different (I think the activation box itself is different), the grips are different, the end cap threads are a little different, and is a narrower diameter because it takes less batteries.

I wonder how new the ANH Luke saber really is.

Tycho
01-25-2007, 05:49 AM
I wonder when they are going to make Obi-Wan's Phantom Menace saber?

I duel with these things and like a comfortable grip in which I have a lot of control and whereas I don't accidentally deactivate the blade either. My current favorite is the Luke Skywalker ROTJ blade, but Obi-Wan's TPM (or AOTC) will beat it by miles because it does not feature a clumsy activator box but rather a dial-knob.

The whole reason Luke's ROTJ saber is that much better than the others is because its activator box is positioned very low on the hilt and you don't have to have a hand near it once you've engaged.

With a dial-knob, that's not even a consideration. See how smoothely Darth Maul's saber handles. It is just rather big and harder to control as a dual blade in confined areas.

Obi-Wan's TPM / AOTC saber kicks serious tar out of all the others!

(It also has that clobbering pummel at the bottom of the hilt, which is why it is a notch above Qui-Gon Jinn's.)

Besides that, I like blue.

BountyHunterScum
01-25-2007, 11:50 AM
I wonder when they are going to make Obi-Wan's Phantom Menace saber?

I duel with these things and like a comfortable grip in which I have a lot of control and whereas I don't accidentally deactivate the blade either. My current favorite is the Luke Skywalker ROTJ blade, but Obi-Wan's TPM (or AOTC) will beat it by miles because it does not feature a clumsy activator box but rather a dial-knob.

The whole reason Luke's ROTJ saber is that much better than the others is because its activator box is positioned very low on the hilt and you don't have to have a hand near it once you've engaged.

With a dial-knob, that's not even a consideration. See how smoothely Darth Maul's saber handles. It is just rather big and harder to control as a dual blade in confined areas.

Obi-Wan's TPM / AOTC saber kicks serious tar out of all the others!

(It also has that clobbering pummel at the bottom of the hilt, which is why it is a notch above Qui-Gon Jinn's.)

Besides that, I like blue.

I like the metal teeth inside the emitter ring it looks menacing. My favorite color is Blue but I like Luke's ROTJ saber.

JediTricks
01-26-2007, 05:08 PM
I wonder how new the ANH Luke saber really is.Well, my guess is it'll be all-new since retooling the ESB Luke saber would probably not give the best results, plus it'd be stuck using the old 6-battery design. Just for aesthetic changes:
- the underside button would have to be replaced with the ANH's test lens ring which means changing the main tube;
- the tube would also have to be changed to accomodate 7 grips (the ESB one has 6, which is correct for that movie) the grips themselves will be a little different shape, plus no screws near the bottom;
- the activation box will have to be changed;
- and the endcap will have to be changed to accomodate the different style of D-ring holder.

BountyHunterScum
01-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Well, my guess is it'll be all-new since retooling the ESB Luke saber would probably not give the best results, plus it'd be stuck using the old 6-battery design. Just for aesthetic changes:
- the underside button would have to be replaced with the ANH's test lens ring which means changing the main tube;
- the tube would also have to be changed to accomodate 7 grips (the ESB one has 6, which is correct for that movie) the grips themselves will be a little different shape, plus no screws near the bottom;
- the activation box will have to be changed;
- and the endcap will have to be changed to accomodate the different style of D-ring holder.

Time will tell.