PDA

View Full Version : Boycott the new Vintage figures!

El Chuxter
01-24-2007, 11:31 AM
"What? Is he crazy? No way am I passing on that IG-88!"

No, I'm not crazy. I'm asking this for a reason.

Simply put, there is no reason these should be $10 figures. Hasbro has demonstrated many times over the past few years that they are capable of putting out figures that are as good or better than the Vintage throwbacks for less than $7. In some cases, they've released the same figure for $7!

And with the 2006 and 2007 waves, they've shown that they're totally willing to produce figures that have already been done a few times and have totally adequate sculpts available (esp. Greedo and Bossk). They'll continue producing these as long as you buy them. Soon, they'll be making "Vintage" Yak Face and Rancor Keeper.

Every time you buy a "Vintage" figure, you say to Hasbro, "Yo, I'm willing to pay more for a figure you could produce at the $7 price point, simply because it has a card that looks sorta like the one from when I was a kid."

Soon, the $7 figures will be totally rehashes and inferior sculpts. Decent figures will only be released as Vintage. Bear in mind that this completely precludes any prequel or EU characters, or any classic trilogy characters who weren't produced by Kenner.

Keep in mind also that inflation will result in higher prices for these soon. I would not be surprised if the 2007 VTAC figures are $12 at the cheapest retail outlets.

So please give this some thought--particularly if you're an opener and will be throwing the card away anyhow. We have to send a message to Hasbro.

JON9000
01-24-2007, 11:49 AM
So please give this some thought--particularly if you're an opener and will be throwing the card away anyhow. We have to send a message to Hasbro.

Thank heavens for target clearance sales. I only bought the Biker Scout and Luke at full retail last year, and that will likely be the case again this year.

bigbarada
01-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Sorry but no way, these are just too awesome to pass up.

I don't have a huge collection of stuff and I never plan to buy everything, so an extra $2 here and an extra $3 there doesn't bother me at all. In fact, boycotting these figures would just give Hasbro the idea that we don't want vintage-style figures anymore. If you want to complain about pricepoint, start a petition.

I'd buy a vintage-style Yak Face for $12 in a heartbeat. Heck, make it $15, I'm feeling generous today.:pleased:

Old Fossil
01-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Well, seeing as how I really don't army build, I can afford to spend a little more per figure when I DO buy one.

Seeing as how I plan on displaying these Vintage-style figures MOC and (some) opened for the forseeable future, it's worth it to me to pay a little more for a figure that displays well both loose and MOC.

Also, since I love the Vintage style cardbacks, but cannot afford to buy the genuine articles off the secondary market, these are a logical alternative. For $10 each, I can enjoy the Vintage look, but not have to pay possibly several Benjamins to have it.

I totally get your point, Chuxter, but these are geared towards the collector side of the market, which typically can better (or is more willing) to absorb the higher prices.

I might draw the line at the Rancor Keeper, though.lol

Blue2th
01-24-2007, 12:24 PM
I tend to agree with BB. Plus if these are of the quality of past Vintage style figures, I am willing to pay the difference. Sure some of these sculpts might appear later in the regular line, but I feel the amount we pay for these might be justified for the expense of producing them. Though some of them like Han may have parts from previous sculpts, and some previous ones were craptastic like C-3PO. Stiil I like the cards also and the whole concept. These are for me, the adult collector. I will probably buy two of each. One to open, one to hang on the wall with the rest of them.

JEDIpartner
01-24-2007, 12:26 PM
I totally agree with you. I honestly don't think the IG-88 is that special but the other ones look like they will be a vast improvement over their standard counterparts. Erhm... "Depends" General Leia Organa, anyone?

decadentdave
01-24-2007, 12:38 PM
There's no way I'm passing these up. Han Hoth looks sweet and IG and Bossk look amazing. Bespin Luke is... meh. Anyway, you are paying $10 for the retro packaging and the protective clamshell which increases the cost over the $6.99 regular figure. $3 more for the special packaging on these is not that big of a deal to me. Besides, my Walmarts have had VTSC figures on CLEARANCE for $9.96 (I think the were originally $10.99) since November and nobody is buying them. Target will probably clearance new assortments after a few weeks so I'm not too concerned about finding them.

Rocketboy
01-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, I haven't bought one yet, so OK.

bigbarada
01-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Also, since this is a collector's line, they are probably produced in smaller numbers than the regular release figures. Which means that Hasbro has to charge more per figure in order to show a profit.

I know that might be hard to believe with these things sitting on clearance shelves, but remember the POTF line rotted on clearance shelves for years (I saw POTF figures in stores as late as 1987 for $1 each), and they're some of the rarest Star Wars figures around.

Down here in central Illinois, some of the smaller retail outlets charge way above the $6.63 that Wal-Mart charges for the standard figures. I paid $7.99 for Chief Chirpa and have no regrets because it was the first figure I had bought in months.

Ji'dai
01-24-2007, 02:41 PM
I agree, I don't think 3-3/4" figures are worth more than $5 each. I didn't buy any VTSC figures last year and have severely cut back on even basic figure purchases since the price hikes. I can afford to pay what Hasbro is currently charging, but I simply won't do it any more. Hasbro's loss.

This from a collector that used to buy two of each figure like some half-mad plastic-collecting Noah.

AmanaMatt
01-24-2007, 05:17 PM
This is not a new argument, but it is a good one, IMO.

I will personally support this line for as long as Hasbro makes it - the $10 - $10.99 price point does not bother me.

Why?

As a whole (with exceptions), The 'Vintage' line has kicked all kinds of butt. These figs are mostly SA figs, but their attention to detail really stands out....just look at the Han Hoth....he looks to have a rem 'up' and 'down' hood, which if true, is a great feature that may not have fit into the 'Budget' on a normal fig. I love the Vintage style card with protective case, all things that increase the cost.

I feel that the money reflects the quality.

If you do not feel that way, just do not buy them.

Many of the 'Vintage' figs are offered later in the reg line or slightly altered, like the VOTC Chewie that sported the ANH hairdo...

BTW, That new Ig-88 is all mine! :D

aceguide
01-24-2007, 05:33 PM
It's a good point.

I will buy one or two in this line. I've passed up most previous issues based on price. If Hasbro is going to nail a sculpt I'm in.

Tycho
01-24-2007, 05:37 PM
The funny thing is that I haven't bought ANY of the past VOTC figures (except 3 Chewies I got on clearance to augment my Kashyyyk army because you can remove his bandolier and add other Wookiee accessories)

BUT THESE NEW FIGURES ARE TEMPTING ME - especially some El Chuxter just doesn't think are worth the price:

IG-88 rocks. I could get 3. They're not lancer droids from the CW, but I could pretend they are and augment Durge's army from Muunlist.

I always planned to buy Leia Endor, as this is the way I wanted her done - though I don't like the way her knees look for this figure, and the cloak seems too brown versus the bright green that Leia wore in the movie. I think they just re-used Luke's and didn't even bother trying food coloring :rolleyes: Hopefully they'll change that before release. Her face sculpt looks great from what can be told though.

Han and the Snowtrooper look awesome actually. They're tempting but I don't need them and thus will not indulge. Bossk I could care less about though he also looks good - but not compared to the other ones.

TheDarthVader
01-24-2007, 05:44 PM
I would try but I just won't be able to do it. I will get one of each of these, maybe two leias, ig-88s, and hoth han. I am going to have to get about four snowtroopers. Anyway...sorry but I love the vintage line. The cards are going to rock!

BlueSnags
01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
I will be buying ALL of them for certain. The extra $3 is worth it just for the vintage style packaging and the clamshell.

Tycho
01-24-2007, 05:55 PM
I will be buying ALL of them for certain. The extra $3 is worth it just for the vintage style packaging and the clamshell.

No it's not. This time I love the figures! ;)

jjreason
01-24-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm a sucker for the VOTC figures, sadly, and will thus have a very hard time passing on them (even though you make an excellent point, Chux). How are people seeing these, by the way, I haven't seen a thread about pics of them being out there. Linky anyone?

Tycho
01-24-2007, 06:07 PM
jjreason - the pics are up on the mainpage here at SirSteves.

I think a lot of you guys have bookmarked the forums and pass up the news, or don't glance at it on your way to the boards. I do that often too - then the subjects in the boards direct me back to the news. It happened that way for me this time.

Luuuuuuke
01-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Dude,that's just crazy talk.:D

Tycho
01-24-2007, 06:12 PM
That reminds me, the VC figures were $2.98 each, back in the day.

How come Hasbro never recreates the authentic price tags? ;)

We should complain.

jjreason
01-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Having now had a look (thanks Tyhco) I can honestly say that the Hoth Han and Vintage Snowtrooper look like dreams come true to me. I couldn't NOT buy them.... I just couldn't. :cross-eye

Mad Slanted Powers
01-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Seeing as how I plan on displaying these Vintage-style figures MOC and (some) opened for the forseeable future, it's worth it to me to pay a little more for a figure that displays well both loose and MOC.

Also, since I love the Vintage style cardbacks, but cannot afford to buy the genuine articles off the secondary market, these are a logical alternative. For $10 each, I can enjoy the Vintage look, but not have to pay possibly several Benjamins to have it.This is my reasoning as well. I wished I'd kept the cards to my vintage figures. I do still have an ESB Lando card, though. For the most part, these are better figures than the regular line. Sure, there are plenty of basic figures that are as good as vintage style, and many vintage style figures show up later in battle packs and such. However, as Hasbro has pointed out, the basic line can't afford to have all the figures at that level of quality, so the great ones are balanced out by rehashes and figures with less articulation.

So with these, I'll get two of each, and maybe more of the Snowtrooper.

Devo
01-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Sorry El Chuxter I'm so used to being ripped off by now that I just don't care anymore - I'm buying these.

My thoughts:

Hoth Han looks pretty cool, my only gripe is it looks to be the VOTC head yet again which I'm not terribly fond of, I think they had better head sculpts in the POTJ era. One, maybe two for me.

Bespin Luke is a tough one to call. The picture appears to showcase a nice bit of poseability but the elbow joint looks wierd and the head sculpt, as usual for Mark Hamill figures, looks crap. The hair might be too long at the back aswell - whereas Han's isn't long enough. Still it may turn out great in person. More than one for me.

Leia Endor looks totally meh in the picture especially with those knees, hopefully it'll be better in my hands as I had planned to get 3 of them for different scenes.

Snowtrooper is awesome by my reckoning, no surprise there though its a troop figure. The legs look like they'll be widely spaced but I don't mind that in the case of the snowtrooper. I'll have 4 or 5 of these gents.

Bossk looks great as I expected it would but even the POTF2 one was great. So this is no huge improvement over either the POTF2 or SAGA. 1 will do me.

Oddly I'm most impressed by that IG-88 yet its one I thought was least necessary. Amazing detail on that and it looks like a good EU type figure of an IG droid in action. I'll have 1.

figrin bran
01-24-2007, 09:56 PM
No way i'll join your boycott, Chux nor does it seem like anyone else will.

Hoth Han is just too awesome to pass up and i'm a sucker for bounty hunter figures and i'll probably get 2 of them, one to open one to keep carded like i did for VOTC Fett.

Besides, trying to figure out the ways of Hasbro is a foolhardy task and there's no guarantees that they'll ever reissue figures and even if they do it might take years and who's to say that a lot of us would not have stopped collecting by that time.

I haven't heard anything about a mail in offer with these so i'll assume there won't be one and that'll be a relief.

Kidhuman
01-24-2007, 10:20 PM
While I agree with what you're saying EC, I cant pass these up. They are way too nice to do so.

jedi master sal
01-24-2007, 11:23 PM
While I agree with what you're saying EC, I cant pass these up. They are way too nice to do so.

ditto......

JediTricks
01-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Chux, I already responsed to your statement in the figures' thread, it was a "no".

Granted, I don't want to pay $10 or $12 for these, but I don't want to pay $7 for basic figures either yet I still do. Star Wars is a ripoff line and we all know it but we nearly all still begrudgingly pay it. We complain and Hasbro knows the score, but these upcoming Vintage-style figures look damn good and considering how shakey the future of SW collecting feels, I'm not willing to risk not owning them. I sympathize with your plight, really I do, I'm a cheap bastage, but I'm also not willing to go without these.

figrin bran
01-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Chux, if it makes you feel any better, i'm boycotting all TF Movie toys!

Mad Slanted Powers
01-25-2007, 12:32 AM
I haven't heard anything about a mail in offer with these so i'll assume there won't be one and that'll be a relief.Let's hope that also means they will do away with the sealed protective cases that I had to ruin to get open. The VOTC ones didn't have that problem as they were just taped, so I was able to keep the cases for the ones I opened. I hear that some of the VTSC ones were taped, but not the ones I got.

jedi master sal
01-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Chux, if it makes you feel any better, i'm boycotting all TF Movie toys!

DITTO, with a BIG D!

El Chuxter
01-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Okay, fine, I can see I'm the only person who thinks this way (at least who's willing to post it here).

Five years from now, the $7 figures will all be repacks and repainted Clonetroopers, and Hasbro will cancel the line after the poor sales of the Vintage Rancor Keeper. Please do not complain that you have not gotten a Yarna or Tey How or Queen Appailana or decent Qui-Gon at that time.

:p

BlueSnags
01-25-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm boycotting all the Hasbro Marvel Legends.

DarthBrandon
01-25-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm boycotting all the Hasbro Marvel Legends.

So am I unless I see decent figures en par with Toybiz, Jean Grey (X-Men Yellow Suit), & Jubilee is a must done right.

El Chuxter
01-25-2007, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't consider that a boycott.

No one's buying them because they suck.

BlueSnags
01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't consider that a boycott.

No one's buying them because they suck.

I know...but since I was in this thread I felt the need to boycott SOMETHING.

DarkArtist
01-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Sorry Chux but I have to pass on the boycott. I love the VOTC and while it is true that Hasbro has shown they can make great figures for a fraction of the price, it's still hard to pass up. I can only guess that the extra cash for the VOTC is the retro stock cards, and cases.

Kidhuman
01-25-2007, 02:20 PM
You guys dont want the Jaundice Banshee variant?

El Chuxter
01-25-2007, 02:33 PM
No, the variant is the one without jaundice.

It's so rare as to only exist on the prototype shown at Comic-Con.

Kidhuman
01-25-2007, 02:36 PM
No, the variant is the one without jaundice.

It's so rare as to only exist on the prototype shown at Comic-Con.

Ok, now I got ya.

Sinscia Fat'o
01-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Considering the VOTC is the only thing i really collect because of the cards, and because of awesome detail and articulation i gotta say i will not or never boy cott these figs! Look at that IG-88...i have every IG that has came out and none of them look like that, every little valve and spot of detail looks like it's on there...no way i could leave that hangin there. Espically since the best IG up until i seen pics of that was the WOC mini in bounty hunters...

Han in hoth...finally a ultimare sculpt of han from hoth! Can't wait.

Bossok, as long as he's articulated im in.

Snowtrooper...does he have a removeable helmet...if hes got the removeable helmie im in for him to.

Leia...i customized by Leia on endor years ago but if it's a good sculpt i'll get her to but she'll be on of the last.

Luke...if it looks good ill get him with Leia just to finish the line.

As for price...the figures are worth it but the regular han next to the vintage han...you'll see the difference. Not to mention the mobility of the vintage.

Dont get me wrong though i understand and respect what your saying...but i dont but regular star wars figures unless there done right i've never bought any of the VOTC that sucked. 3po dont count :)

PS can't wait for the rancor keeper come Maleki!!! Yak-Face vintage how cool would that be!!

2-1B
01-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Can someone please link me to the Hoth Han and Bossk ? I am curious about these...thanks. :)

Tycho
01-25-2007, 07:14 PM
The only VOTC I've bought so far were 3 Chewbaccas on clearance.

That being said, some of them are really good:

Han Solo
Lando Calrissian
Boba Fett
Stormtrooper
Chewbacca
R2D2
Luke X-wing Pilot
Han Solo Endor
Biker Scout

From these:

IG-88*
Han Solo Hoth
Princess Leia Endor*
Snowtrooper

*I have plans to buy these for certain.

Old Fossil
01-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Yak-Face vintage how cool would that be!!

I'd buy one. That WOULD be cool.:thumbsup:

Kidhuman
01-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Can someone please link me to the Hoth Han and Bossk ? I am curious about these...thanks. :)

Here ya go Caesar, just scroll down a bit, cant miss em

2-1B
01-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks but there is no :beard to click.

Tycho
01-25-2007, 11:08 PM
I can't believe he hasn't still looked up the figures on the mainpage news or another fan site yet.

Actually I don't believe that. If it is just a ploy for attention, I recommend using a Nuclear Mouse Droid!

Phantom-like Menace
01-25-2007, 11:50 PM
It's generally fairly easy for me to go without buying these vintage offerings. I hate super articulation on anything but armored figures and hate softgoods on any figure save 300th Boba Fett which softgoods inexplicably looks good on.

But I can't stay away from the troops. I bought all but one of the VOTC Stormtroopers I saw, and that was because I let a friend grab the last one, and if I hadn't been financially FUBARed earlier this year, I would have purchased far more of the VTSC Biker Scouts than I purchased. Otherwise, I'm not as interested in Snowtroopers, but if they're as super articulated as the previous two, I'm going to at least have to get eight of them if I can find them. And that IG-88 is pretty sweet.

Kidhuman
01-26-2007, 06:11 AM
Here ya go Caesar, just scroll down a bit, cant miss em

Thanks but there is no :beard to click.

oops

http://www.4-inches.de/inhalt/news.htm

decadentdave
01-26-2007, 07:11 AM
If it makes you feel any better Chux, I dig the hot chick on your avatar. Who is she?

El Chuxter
01-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Gah!! How can you use "decadent" in your name and not know the great Joan Jett?

:D

Jargo
01-26-2007, 12:32 PM
I won't be buying the vintage wave this year. they are overpriced and there isn't anything that special about them. besides not liking this forthcoming wave I've waited on the past waves and bought them half price, loose from Ebay. If there is a figure from the next wave I want I'll do the same.

decadentdave
01-26-2007, 02:05 PM
That was my original guess but in that pic she looks more like a goth chic like Siouxie.

Jargo
01-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Joan Jett got nothin on Suzie Quatro lol

JediTricks
01-28-2007, 04:56 AM
Gah!! How can you use "decadent" in your name and not know the great Joan Jett?

:DYou know she's doing commercials for "American Chopper" now, as well as being in their new opening theme, right?

I got all the VOTC, plus an extra Stormtrooper and accidentally an extra Vader (my first one broke when I took him out of the package, when I got the replacement I forgot to return the first one). With the VTSC I got them all and then I got a second set (minus Luke) on Clearance for $3 and change each, plus a 3rd Tusken and used those to get another Lucas Stormtrooper.

El Chuxter
01-28-2007, 03:40 PM
You know she's doing commercials for "American Chopper" now, as well as being in their new opening theme, right?

Yes, and she is the only person who could do so and still retain credibility.

I hear she is Guitar Hero II, as well, and she can travel through time to kick anyone's butt she chooses.