PDA

View Full Version : 4" scale ROTJ Jabba!

bigbarada
01-25-2007, 04:08 AM
Just showing off the action figure scale Jabba the Hutt that my brother made a few months back. He sculpted it from scratch using Super Sculpey. Hopefully if Hasbro makes a new one it'll look this good.

Here's some shots of it, I have a couple more, but they're too big so I'll just link to them.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/0jabbacomp1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/Jabba1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/Jabba3.jpg

Kidhuman
01-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Thats pretty sweet looking BB. Props to your bro on it.

jedi master sal
01-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Wow, that's impressive. Does he take orders? I'd like one like this, with that much detail in the sculpt and the paint job is excellent.

Dark Marble
01-25-2007, 12:44 PM
I would take one of him too. That is amazing, now if we could get him down to Hasbro...

bigbarada
01-25-2007, 01:16 PM
The painted version is actually a resin casting off the original. I think my brother still has a couple of those; but they're just solid white and unpainted. I'll ask him.

jedi master sal
01-26-2007, 12:57 AM
The painted version is actually a resin casting off the original. I think my brother still has a couple of those; but they're just solid white and unpainted. I'll ask him.

If that's all he's got I'll take it. Would you be so kind as to ask him what he'd take for painting it? I really think he did an excellent job here.

Either way though, mark me down for one as I asked before.

-Sal

Slicker
01-26-2007, 01:22 PM
That's a damn good job!! It almost looks too good for the Hasbro figs. :thumbsup:

bigbarada
01-27-2007, 02:37 AM
I guess the prognosis is not too good. My brother only has two castings left and they have a few pits in them (they are cast in resin). Plus he homeschools his kids, so he just doesn't have the time to paint anything right now.

Sooooo, he could let go of one of the castings, but you would have to fill the pits with modeling putty and paint it yourself.

PM me if your still interested, Sal

Qui-Long Gone
01-28-2007, 01:41 AM
That's the Jabba I've been hoping would be made....

Your brother is the man, get Peter Jackson at Weta Workshop on the phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-28-2007, 06:11 AM
Pretty decent! Think he could sculpt some usable articulation onto it? I ask because one of the Q&A answers showed that Hasbro uses freelance sculptors for their work, if he can integrate it into the product he could take a shot at the brass ring (ok, not much of a brass ring, but the real brass ring was just another ride on the merry go round and you had to risk losing an arm to get it!)

bigbarada
01-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Well, the arms pop out, so I guess some ball joints could be put in there. I'm not familiar with the whole process of creating action figures, so I'm not sure how much needs to be worked into the original sculpt.

I would be interested in finding a way to get this to Hasbro, because I think my brother would do a great job as one of their freelance sculptors.

That might be a great question for Hasbro: What's your procedure for seeking out new talent? Do you actively look for new sculptors and, if so, how would someone go about submitting samples of their work?

Something like that. I know comic book publishers are always swamped with submissions, so they usually outline clear submission guidelines. I have no clue how a corporation like Hasbro would go about looking for new talent.

Jargo
01-28-2007, 02:06 PM
lovely work. He's actually given Jabba that sly and bloated repulsive quality missing from hasbro's efforts. Not to mention given him a really decent paint job. i love the one eye half closed. really nice touch.

I doubt hasbro could ever get a paint job as good as that on a production model though given that they have trained monkeys do the paint apps in China.

The sculpt though, that's the ticket.

bobafrett
01-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Being a sculptor of sorts myself, I must say that is one heck of an impressive looking Jabba. I'd be interested in one providing I could afford it.

Devo
01-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Even without articulation that'd do me perfectly. Much better than Hasbro's 04 Jabba in detail, paint and in the facial likeness. Hasbro's one I've always thought has a recessed face around the eyes and nose when it was more fattened outwards in the film. I also love the one eye half closed.

JediTricks
01-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Well, the arms pop out, so I guess some ball joints could be put in there. I'm not familiar with the whole process of creating action figures, so I'm not sure how much needs to be worked into the original sculpt.Hmm, I think he'd need to produce that solid version, then a second version where he cut it into parts that are ready for articulation - they have to move but don't have to be perfect for assembly, so if he wanted a cut-joint wrist he'd take the wrist as a separate piece and insert a plain peg into it, then make a corresponding hole in the forearm, thus showing them how he designed the articulation concept to work and be manufactured without engineering the entire joint system.

I would be interested in finding a way to get this to Hasbro, because I think my brother would do a great job as one of their freelance sculptors.

That might be a great question for Hasbro: What's your procedure for seeking out new talent? Do you actively look for new sculptors and, if so, how would someone go about submitting samples of their work?Well, you can throw the question up in the list and if it gets the votes...

I think it'd probably help to network your way into knowing someone who knows the Star Wars design manager, then presenting a resume of the artist's work and making claims about meeting schedules.

bigbarada
01-30-2007, 03:31 PM
I'll see if I can word it to my satisfaction. I would guess that it's not really a field that a lot of Star Wars collectors want to get involved in, since the skills required would take years to hone. Even then, unless you had the natural, inherent talent, then you would never be really good at it.

My brother was offered a job by McFarlane Toys, but they would have required him to relocate to New Jersey. His wife was going to college to become a nurse so they couldn't just uproot everything at that time. Plus he didn't want to spend years sculpting their demonic subject matter.

Qui-Long Gone
01-30-2007, 11:47 PM
A guy like your brother could get paid to do one freelance job...like the Jabba figure (and paid well)....we have fan polls for figures, why not one for special guest sculptors? Do I hear a second on that poll?

I can promise to be one of the first to buy his Jabba when it arrives here in West Texas 6 months after everyone else has bought one....:rolleyes:

I respect your bro's family vs career decisions....but as for his offer to work for McFarlane, the real demonic subject matter would be the move to New Jersey:whip:

figrin bran
01-31-2007, 01:54 AM
BB, that is one awesome piece of work by your bro!!! :thumbsup:

who knows, had he gone to work for Mcfarlane, he might've had to sculpt other sports themed demonic subject matter like Terrell Owens, Barry Bonds, Kobe Bryant

Qui-Long Gone
01-31-2007, 05:26 PM
or other classic figures like Jose Canseco, Ricky Williams, Floyd Landis....