PDA

View Full Version : Spider-man 3: The Game official site launched

darthvyn
01-25-2007, 09:14 AM
hey just thought you'd be interested, since most people regard spider-man 2: the game as one of the best games for any of the last generation of consoles... activision has unveiled the new spider-man 3: the game official site, which has a flash vid of the in-game model of spidey. looking awesome... link to more info (http://www.wallcrawlersweb.com/article.php?id=14)

El Chuxter
01-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Well, shoot, I was getting all my Spidey news from wallcrawlersweb.com, but if you're going to post it here, I don't need to go there. :p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-25-2007, 01:55 PM
wait, it's NOT coming out for the PS2?!!!?!? What sorta bullsh** is this?!?!?!!? F you, activision!! :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset:

darthvyn
01-25-2007, 04:26 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3150568

looks like it will be, actually. most likely they didn't want to publicize that too much, so people will want to go out and get a PS3 instead.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-25-2007, 05:13 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3150568

looks like it will be, actually. most likely they didn't want to publicize that too much, so people will want to go out and get a PS3 instead.

Ah, then I redact my statement. hehehehe :crazed:

Spidey 2 is one of the greatest games, ever. I just hope that they don't stray from the original game style. "ultimate spider-man" did that and to me, that game sucked. I'm curious to see how it works out. :whip:

JediTricks
01-26-2007, 06:19 PM
When I first played SM2, I could not have been any happier, the free-play swinging through New York had me smiling more than possibly any other time in my life. The fighting system also was totally acceptable rather than being a burden. While some of the fights, bosses, and random occurances weren't quite enough for my tastes, all I really wanted was for them to take that same engine, add another island to go to, add more random stuff to do, and just make the game longer in general - I just wanted to spend more time in that world. When Ultimate Spider-Man was ramping up, I was excited and then I heard about all the changes - smaller world, different fighting system, webswinging wasn't as good - and I still haven't bothered with it. Activision could make me very happy by simply making SM3 an upgrade from SM2, I really hope it is - if so, it'll be only the second title I buy the day it comes out.

General_Grievous
01-27-2007, 09:25 AM
I can't wait to fire up this puppy on my 360. It still features the free-play NYC, right?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-16-2007, 10:58 AM
a trailer is up: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/spiderman3/news.html?sid=6166026&autoplay=6166013&tag=topslot;link;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

Looking very solid. I browsed the article and they mentioned how there will be MORE of a variety of random missions in the game and NYC is actually a bit bigger, etc. AWESOME. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
02-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Awesome. It looks like they really upped the ante since the last game.

JediTricks
02-17-2007, 04:49 AM
At first I was a little unnerved by them using cineractives, it was not one of my favorite parts about playing God of War (there weren't many parts I didn't like about that game though), and then I remembered how boring beating up the bosses was, no creativity, all pummeling - just memorize their patterns and react with a move or a strike. I didn't get into Spider-Man 2 for the bosses though, so having a not-totally-melee system for them that's more cinematic I realized should prove more entertaining for the most part.

mabudonicus
02-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Rhino in Spiderman 2 was kinda like that wasn't he??
As was the fight with Mysterio in the burning theatre, kinda- as long as there's nothing based on Shadow of the Colossus I'll be pretty happy, here's hoping this is THE game it truly deserves to be- the bigger map is already making me excited like a NewsBot :beard: "mebs: Isobaws&

JediTricks
02-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Rhino you had to doge then attack then repeat, but it was in-game and basically just dodge-pummel which is just a standard variation on the boss system.

Mysterio in the theater wasn't a boss level, that one was about rescuing and then defeating the robots. Mysterio's actual boss level was pretty funny. :p

I'm not familiar with "Shadow of the Colossus", was it all cineractives a la Dragon's Lair?

mabudonicus
02-19-2007, 09:05 AM
No, no, Shadow of the Colossus is a REALLY odd game- I think I got a little mixed up by the term "cineractive" there, JT

I was thinking you meant one o' them "detached cam" kind of bits, which SOTC has in spades (and if you can borrow that game you might try it but it's kinda frustrating- it has a really advanced graphic rendering thing going on but it seems to have been developed to the detriment of the gameplay and plot)

And Mysterios "Real boss fight" was indeed pretty funny- I remember when I got there and the scene started and all's I was thinking was "MAN I already beat him twice, now the 'real' fight?!?!?!?" and was almost ticke doff until the "punchline"

No matter what, tho, I am stoked about this game!
:beard:Isobaws&

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-13-2007, 03:56 PM
New trailer showing spidey in the subways and sewers.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7022/1/New_Spiderman_3_Teaser_Trailer

God, I hope this game lives up to my own hype. If it lets me down ala Ultimate Spidey, oh man, the anger. :yes:

JediTricks
03-14-2007, 05:38 AM
I still want them to just take the SM2 fight/swing engine, add a little more fighting moves, the ability to climb up a web, and about 75 more random crime missions, and I'll be happy forever!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-05-2007, 11:18 AM
anybody pick it up yet? The reviews have been mixed depending on the system: thing i'm hearing a lot of is the engine doesn't allow for good graphics above the city and while swinging, but wasn't this a small issue in 2? I don't recall. I do have a Wii now, so i'll probably get it here next week. Just wondering. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
05-05-2007, 05:21 PM
The IGN review (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/785/785652p1.html) for the PS3 version was brutal, and I've heard nothing but similar comments about that so I'm waiting. I haven't read any PS2 reviews yet, I'm hoping that comes out a lot better (it's not being done by the same company, they're similar to the PS3 and 360 versions but supposedly unique). If you see any PS2 version reviews, please link 'em.

Lord Malakite
05-05-2007, 07:08 PM
The IGN review (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/785/785652p1.html) for the PS3 version was brutal, and I've heard nothing but similar comments about that so I'm waiting. I haven't read any PS2 reviews yet, I'm hoping that comes out a lot better (it's not being done by the same company, they're similar to the PS3 and 360 versions but supposedly unique). If you see any PS2 version reviews, please link 'em.
Here is the IGN review (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/785/785702p1.html) for the PS2 version. It sounds harsher than the PS3 review.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I dunno, that review really didn't say much aside from beyatching about the graphics. It's actually a pretty poor review. The gamers reviews give it nearly an 8. They gave the Wii version a 6 or so and the gamers reviews are faaaaaaaar better. I'll probably pick up the Wii version next week cos it looks like it's a blast. :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
05-06-2007, 12:50 AM
I wouldn't call a 6 out of 10 brutal.

I like the game. The graphics are stunning, and it's still fun to web swing around the city.

JediTricks
05-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Here is the IGN review (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/785/785702p1.html) for the PS2 version. It sounds harsher than the PS3 review.Oh man, that was actively painful to see, broke my damn heart after Spidey 2 was sooooo good on the PS2.

I dunno, that review really didn't say much aside from beyatching about the graphics. It's actually a pretty poor review. The gamers reviews give it nearly an 8. Games Radar gave it a 4 and dumped on everything: http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps2/game/reviews/article.jsp?sectionId=1000&articleId=20070503171130295048&releaseId=20060628152326536045

And the reader reviews on PS2.IGN are totally stilted, there's one awful brownnoser review that's so bad it's not even believable as a plant and gave it a 10 but has NOTHING to say about it:
http://rr.ps2.ign.com/rrview/ps2/spider_man_3/878901/63682/
Without that review, the most generous reader review is a 6 and the worst is a 3, the median review score is 4.14, and even that is stilted by a generous 6.0 vote (generous because even his review text seems like it'd be a lower score) among a 3, 3.7, and two 4s.

They gave the Wii version a 6 or so and the gamers reviews are faaaaaaaar better. I'll probably pick up the Wii version next week cos it looks like it's a blast. :thumbsup:Got a link to the Wii review then? The only review I saw said it was just as bad as the PS2 version.

I wouldn't call a 6 out of 10 brutal.You wouldn't? It's a $60 game (for a $500 console) that's supposed to be an upgrade sequel to previous-gen game that got an 8.8 several years ago, I'm glad you like the game but that seems pretty painful to me.

Lord Malakite
05-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Got a link to the Wii review then? The only review I saw said it was just as bad as the PS2 version.
Here is the IGN review (http://wii.ign.com/articles/785/785713p1.html) for the Wii version.
This is probably the most unique aspect worth noting from the review:

There are presentational problems, to be sure, but Spider-Man 3 is not a complete bust. As we said, the city itself is enormous and you're able to swing through it freely. You can go anywhere at any time, in other words, and when you really master the intricacies of the Wii remote and nunchuk swing system, you'll find yourself acrobatically whipping through the air, jumping off building walls, diving toward a street and then shooting another web, only to go soaring back upward again. It's during these swinging moments that Spider-Man 3 is at its very best and this is mostly true because of the Wii-specific control scheme.

Nintendo's new remote and nunchuk have been created as a means to facilitate a more intuitive control method so players who find traditional controllers daunting, in other words, should be able to grasp the philosophy behind gesture-based movements. However, in Spider-Man 3, the opposite is true. The controls aren't immediately accessible. In fact, we found the PS3 and Xbox 360 iterations of the game were much easier to jump into. And yet, if you put a few minutes into the Wii project to unravel the true functionality and inherent flexibility of the gesture system, we think you'll agree that it ultimately offers a more responsive and rewarding control experience. There are several reasons why we like it, so we'll start from the high level and go down. Using the nunchuk and Wii remote, you can effectively control Spider-Man's left and right arms respectively, which can't be done in any other version. Couple that with the ability to steer in mid-air with the nunchuk's analog stick and you end up with a dynamic that -- once you learn how to use it, which takes some time -- just feels better.
Swinging Spidey through the city locales is easy, for the most part. You hold the Z button and flick forward to send a web shooting from the super hero's left hand or you hold B trigger and do the same with the Wii remote to shoot forth a web from his right hand. Simple, but there's more to the system than initially meets the eye. You can, for example, flick strongly to the left with either device and Spidey will cut sharply into the direction. The gesture system performs spectacularly most of the time, although we have encountered occasional issues -- Spidey may accidentally swing to the right when we gestured to the left -- a notable mishap. As you play through the surprisingly deep title, which runs a good 15-20 hours if you progress beyond the main story arc and partake in the many side missions, you will come to master the timing of flicks and releases. Press B, flick forward and hold the Z button and Spidey will cast a web with his right hand and sweep satisfyingly through the air. Depress the B trigger and he'll release his web, but depress the B trigger and Z button together and he'll gain a web boost, soaring higher with entertaining acrobatics. Plain and simple, it's fun.

From there it more or less goes on to address the same problems already addressed in the PS2 review. The Wii version recieved a 5.7.

darthvyn
05-07-2007, 10:35 AM
wow! that's enticing... well-written to really give you a feel for the dynamics of the controls. too bad about the "other stuff" but, hey, we've still go spidey 2!

seems like the wiimote was made for a game like this, though.

JediTricks
05-07-2007, 04:04 PM
I read that review right before coming here, and I noticed on page 2 that the comments about the controls have some serious fighting complaints that doom it further.

Here's what I don't get about the PS3 version, this is a fresh new system in dire need of a "killer app", Sony already has a direct relationship with these movies since they produce them - the damn PS3 text on the console is in the movie's title font - and the game that this is a sequel to is considered by some to be the finest superhero action-adventure game ever, but instead of having Treyarch & Activision do the PS3 version right, they mangle it and let all the other console versions also get ruined.

General_Grievous
05-07-2007, 05:56 PM
IGN seems to be less generous in their reviews than others.

I've got reason to celebrate. I just beat Kraven. He was a b*tch to subdue. But I have to fight Kingpin next, and one review said he was the toughest boss in the game.

EDIT: I just beat the game. The last battle was a lot of fun. You even get to play as the New Goblin while battling the giant Sandman. Venom is actually kind of easy, which doesn't make sense. He's supposed to be Spidey's most dangerous villain, and yet, Kraven and Kingpin both put up even more of a fight.

Lord Malakite
05-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Here's what I don't get about the PS3 version, this is a fresh new system in dire need of a "killer app", Sony already has a direct relationship with these movies since they produce them - the damn PS3 text on the console is in the movie's title font - and the game that this is a sequel to is considered by some to be the finest superhero action-adventure game ever, but instead of having Treyarch & Activision do the PS3 version right, they mangle it and let all the other console versions also get ruined.
Most of the problems (for all console versions) sound like the result of simply running out of time to me. It was either A) Release the half-arsed unfinished version to cash in with the movies theatrical release and make mucho dinero over the movie hype or B) Pull a "Superman Returns" to polish up the game and miss out on the fad fans (who by then would have moved on to the next fad). They chose A.

JediTricks
05-08-2007, 05:31 PM
IGN seems to be less generous in their reviews than others. I dunno about that, they show what other outlets reviewed the games at and:
PS3 - IGN: 6; press average: 6.7 (13 reviews, 3 were very positive, the rest ranged mainly from 6.7 down to 5.0)
Wii - IGN: 5.7; press average: 5.4 (8 reviews, and even that abysmal number was due to 2 high scores among a lot of 5 and 4 votes)
PS2 - IGN: 3.5; press average: 5.1 (5 reviews, one was an 8.5, the others were 4 to 5)

The only one that shows any negative skew the way your suggesting is the PS2 version, and they're all bad (except for 1), it's just about how bad.

Most of the problems (for all console versions) sound like the result of simply running out of time to me. It was either A) Release the half-arsed unfinished version to cash in with the movies theatrical release and make mucho dinero over the movie hype or B) Pull a "Superman Returns" to polish up the game and miss out on the fad fans (who by then would have moved on to the next fad). They chose A.I dunno about that, it seems like from what I read, the flaws largely come from the very premises that created the foundations for these games. The combat system is all wrong, the graphics engine makes the worst choices, and the ideas behind the boss battles is thoughtless. It's like they just sat back after Spider-Man 2 and figured they could coast from there. Hell, even the camera is a villain in this game.

General_Grievous
05-08-2007, 09:54 PM
I rented the PS2 version of the game. It's not as bad as everyone says, but it's still nothing spectacular. The graphics aren't really the problem, it's that the city is friggin' EMPTY! Plus, the controls are kind of bad. Still, it does have its perks. For example, Bruce Campbell has a lot more to say as narrator in this version than the next-gen versions. Morbius is also kind of cool. Even so, the next-gen version (as well as Spider-Man 2) blows this one away. But I think it's mediocre.

darthvyn
05-11-2007, 01:21 PM
well, for those that are disappointed with SM3, there's another spidey game coming down the pike this fall!

www.wallcrawlersweb.com/news/article.php?id=77

Lord Malakite
05-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Current speculation on "Friend or Foe" is that its the long rumored Spidey "movie trilogy" compilation game (similar in premise to what "Mortal Kombat Trilogy" was to the first 3 MK games). It has been said to be in the works for some time now. The official site went online only a day or so after Spidey 3's release.

darthvyn
05-11-2007, 01:49 PM
i don't know, did you see that screenshot from the site's trailer? gobbie looks pretty weird, definitely not movie-like. the whole "A new twist on the legend. A new take on the movies..." makes me think it's not exactly a compilation game. that statement coupled with that shot of gobbie really throws me for a loop.

General_Grievous
05-11-2007, 06:27 PM
I really hope that's not the finished Goblin model.

JediTricks
05-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Ugh, I fear this is gonna some sort of cutesy chibi mess, spidey looks good but could go either way and Gobby is pretty heinous, but I secretly hope this will be the extension to Spider-Man 2 that I've been begging for for years now.

darthvyn
05-11-2007, 07:39 PM
but I secretly hope this will be the extension to Spider-Man 2 that I've been begging for for years now.

well, you know what happens when you get your hopes up... ;)

El Chuxter
05-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Cheer up. They could make Spider-Man: Lego.

Actually, that would be really cool.

Rocketboy
05-12-2007, 12:15 AM
They've got a Lego Batman game coming, so who knows?

Lord Malakite
05-12-2007, 05:41 PM
i don't know, did you see that screenshot from the site's trailer? gobbie looks pretty weird, definitely not movie-like. the whole "A new twist on the legend. A new take on the movies..." makes me think it's not exactly a compilation game. that statement coupled with that shot of gobbie really throws me for a loop.
Its a new game, there is no question about that. I said it was a compilation in premise. ;) In other words, it will more or less tell the abridged Spidey movie story (in some form) starting from Spidey 1 and ending with Spidey 3. Mortal Kombat Trilogy was similar (premise wise) in that it was an abridged telling of the MK, MK II, and MK 3 stories. It won't be all three Spidey movie games on one disc.

The biggest contrast between comparing the two though is that Spidey isn't just a simple cut & paste of the older Spidey movie games' levels/characters/challenges/etc. to make a new game. MK Trilogy on the other hand more or less was.

darthvyn
05-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Its a new game, there is no question about that. I said it was a compilation in premise. ;) In other words, it will more or less tell the abridged Spidey movie story (in some form) starting from Spidey 1 and ending with Spidey 3. Mortal Kombat Trilogy was similar (premise wise) in that it was an abridged telling of the MK, MK II, and MK 3 stories. It won't be all three Spidey movie games on one disc.

i understood what you meant about the compilation game, it's just that with that screenshot i don't think it's going to simply be the abridged version of spidey's 1,2 and 3 in a straight-forward fashion. but all the speculation is just that - guesses - until some more information presents itself.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Rented SPIDER-MAN 3 for the Wii this afternoon. I'll have some blips about it later, possibly tomorrow!! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 05:59 AM
well, you know what happens when you get your hopes up... ;)KABOOM! Thanks a lot. :( ;)

Cheer up. They could make Spider-Man: Lego.

Actually, that would be really cool.

They've got a Lego Batman game coming, so who knows?I think LEGO dropped the Spidey license after SM2, so it's not likely. Plus, I can't imagine a Spidey LEGO game really working, there's nothing for him to build the way SW and Bats have all their toys. "Spidey, build that wall and crawl it! Spidey, build that vault and defend it from villains! Spidey, build that bridge and then save the people Green Goblin is throwing off of it!" :p

BountyHunterScum
05-16-2007, 03:51 PM
I have this game for PC but for the moment can't play it because I needed a graphics card capable of supporting Shader 3.0. However I did buy one from Dell and it's on the way.

darthvyn
07-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Spider-man: Friend or Foe secrets revealed! (http://www.wallcrawlersweb.com/news/article/92)

this actually looks pretty cool, even if the idea of fighting alongside his enemies is a bit strange. the graphics are an interesting hybridization of the comic-booky style of "ultimate spider-man" and the realism of the spider-man movie games.

JediTricks
07-11-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm not in love with the idea of mixing the movies with the Ultimate look, but the villains team up thing works for me, Spidey sometimes does have to make pacts with his enemies to stop a greater evil, then he gets betrayed.

darthvyn
07-12-2007, 02:29 PM
the way it looks works for me, i don't think it's too overly-cartoony nor is it too hyper-realistic (which always kind of becomes jagged and robotic anyway).

the team-up thing sounds like a cool feature, especially with other heroes too... don't know why they didn't call it "marvel team-up" or "spider-man team-up" to harken back to those titles. "friend or foe" is a bit unwieldy and abstract.

General_Grievous
07-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Eh, I don't know about this game. I'm going to wait for more info.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-16-2007, 10:53 AM
FYI: Target has SM3 games for sale!!

360/PS3- 29.99
PS2/WII- 24.99

I enjoyed the Wii version although I wasn't too good at the controls. I'll probably snag the PS2 version though as i'm used to that style due to the SM2 game, which I still play. :thumbsup:

BountyHunterScum
09-16-2007, 10:09 PM
I beat SM3 the game, the black suited spidey is just a replay of career mode in the black suit.