PDA

View Full Version : Letters from Iwo Jima

JimJamBonds
01-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Although the film was released nearly a month ago it hasn't been untill last week that it made it to my kneck of the woods. In short this is an excellent movie, if you liked Flags of Our Fathers then its pretty safe to say that you'll like Letters from Iwo Jima as well. While watching the film I was wishing there would be a "super cut" of Flags and Letters, while that would result in a 4 + hour long movie I would happily watch it.

Anybody else see this film? Thoughts? etc???

Rocketboy
01-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Unfortunately, Letters isn't playing near me. I'd had to drive about 45 minutes away to see it.
I'm dying to see it though. Flags was on of my favorites of last year.

Slicker
01-27-2007, 12:34 AM
I thought Letters came out today?

Wow, today was the first time that I'd seen any TV ads for it. I better get on my high horse and see it before it's out of theaters.

Rocketboy
01-27-2007, 02:40 PM
It started a few weeks ago in a very limited release (for Oscar considerations) and has been slowly expanding the number of theaters.

JimJamBonds
01-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Unfortunately, Letters isn't playing near me. I'd had to drive about 45 minutes away to see it.
I'm dying to see it though. Flags was on of my favorites of last year.

DO IT! ;) I did and it was well worth it!

Rocketboy
01-29-2007, 11:47 PM
I was actually thinking about it on Thursday

Slicker
02-05-2007, 10:04 PM
I just got back and it was definitely worth the money.

Such a good story and a very, VERY good companion to Flags.

I wouldn't say that it was better nor will I say it was worse. They were both on par with one another and both equally great.

I'd definitely drive the 45 minutes, RB. You won't regret it.

Possible Spoiler

EDIT: Also, a sad part (at least sad to me) was when they got the radio transmission from the mainland of the children singing. Just there voices and words. That was a powerful part of the movie and sealed the Generals fate.

End of possible spoiler

JimJamBonds
02-05-2007, 11:56 PM
What I found intersting (after watching the credits)was that the story was based on a book by the commander of Japanese forces on Iwo. Of course some of it had to have been made up, but apparently his letters were really found!