PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question: one hit wonders

Bel-Cam Jos
01-27-2007, 04:51 PM
The rules? In order to post here, you must know the album where the song was included, unless it was released as a single. But you can post your favorite(s) who only had less-than-15-minutes of song time fame. Or, surprise us by listing (gasp! :eek: ) ANOTHER song they made!

Such as:

Matthew Wilder
Song: "Break My Stride."

Album: I Don't Speak the Language.

Since this will stay online forever (unless the thread gets deleted), we will give them MORE than 15 minutes to be famous. Wow...

Rocketboy
01-27-2007, 09:47 PM
I've been listening to "Lovefool" by The Cardigans a lot lately (from the album First Band on the Moon, an album that had a bizzare, yet cool, cover of "Iron Man"). I've always liked the song for some reason. I should go look for that album...
Pretty funny seeing Jim sing it on the Office the other night.

Kidhuman
01-27-2007, 11:34 PM
A lot of one hit wonders out there. Probably my favorite so far is:

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the sky. Love that tune.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-28-2007, 09:44 AM
And you can stretch the definition of ONE-hit wonder, because there are a few bands/singers who had moderate success or another tune after their big hit, too, such as...

Corey Hart

Song: "Never Surrender." (much better song than "Sunglasses at Night," but too serious and not as cheesy as that one)

Album: Boy in the Box (stupid title, IMHO)

Favorite all-time 1HW... hmmm... how 'bout:

Wall of Voodoo

Song: "Mexican Radio."

Album: (checked online cheater! :p ) Call of the West

Maybe?

El Chuxter
01-28-2007, 03:30 PM
I think my favorite one-hit wonder is Jimi Hendrix.

I'm also fond of Frank Zappa, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and the Grateful Dead.

BIG MAC
01-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Song: Jenny (867-5309)

Band/Singer: Tommy Tutone

The 80's are just full of so many one hit wonders,but this is my favorite!

DarkArtist
01-31-2007, 08:30 AM
how about Aqua "Barbie Girl" or Falco " Rock Me Amadeus"

CaptainSolo1138
01-31-2007, 08:41 AM
FALCO?!

Letters to Cleo
Song: "Here and Now"
Album: "Aurora Gory Alice"

As for listing another song by them, I could go on for days since they continue to be a favorite of mine. And Kay Hanley is smokin'. (http://www.redsoxchick.com/photogallery/kayhanley1.jpg)

JimJamBonds
01-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Putting on the Ritz by Taco.

DarkArtist
01-31-2007, 12:04 PM
FALCO?!

Letters to Cleo

As for listing another song by them, I could go on for days since they continue to be a favorite of mine. And Kay Hanley is smokin'. (http://www.redsoxchick.com/photogallery/kayhanley1.jpg)

What ? What's wrong with Falco. Love that song. actually have it on a CD in my car as we speak.

CaptainSolo1138
01-31-2007, 12:19 PM
What ? What's wrong with Falco. Love that song. actually have it on a CD in my car as we speak.
Nothing. I was just quoting the exchange between Jimmy Pop and DJ Q-Ball from the Bloodhound Gang song "Mope":

"We gonna drop this next bomb for a money makin' playa that ain't with us no mo."
"Yeah, Notorious B.I.G."
"Hell no, we gonna do this for a gangbanging thug that never seen it comin'."
"Yeah, Tupac Shakur."
"Nah b***h, I'm talkin' 'bout motherf***in' Falco and s**t."
"What? Falco?"

Rocketboy
01-31-2007, 04:34 PM
FALCO?!

Letters to Cleo

As for listing another song by them, I could go on for days since they continue to be a favorite of mine. And Kay Hanley is smokin'. (http://www.redsoxchick.com/photogallery/kayhanley1.jpg)I actually thoght of LTC after I posted mine and kicked myself for it.

JON9000
01-31-2007, 05:36 PM

Falco had a follow-up top 40 hit called "Vienna Calling". Not an official 1-hit wonder!!!

My Fave:

"I Wanna Be a Cowboy" by Boys Don't Cry.

DarkArtist
02-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Falco had a follow-up top 40 hit called "Vienna Calling". Not an official 1-hit wonder!!!

My Fave:

"I Wanna Be a Cowboy" by Boys Don't Cry.

According to VH 1 Falco was listed as a one hit wonder since the follow-up tune was in the bottom of the top 40 and died shortly afterward in a car crash. he was also reponsible for the song "Der Kommisar".

mabudonicus
02-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Derringer "Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo"

And I know it's against the rules but I can't recall the name of the album (was it the same as the song?? I own a beat-up copy on vinyl that I bought for the cover, but it's in the basement and I ain't going down there for Derringer)
:beard: :ducks: Isobaws&

El Chuxter
02-03-2007, 10:55 AM
My serious answer:

"Come On, Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runner. Sean McLeod O'Doogan's favorite song to listen to while having a pint of Guinness with Seamus O'Doyle.

2-1B
02-04-2007, 10:57 AM
The Tubes: She's a Beauty

Mad Slanted Powers
02-04-2007, 04:23 PM
I've been listening to "Lovefool" by The Cardigans a lot lately (from the album First Band on the Moon, an album that had a bizzare, yet cool, cover of "Iron Man"). I've always liked the song for some reason. I should go look for that album...
Pretty funny seeing Jim sing it on the Office the other night.I have that album, but I like the album after that much better - Gran Turismo.

FALCO?!

Letters to Cleo

As for listing another song by them, I could go on for days since they continue to be a favorite of mine. And Kay Hanley is smokin'. (http://www.redsoxchick.com/photogallery/kayhanley1.jpg)Agreed. I have their first three albums. Just noticed now that they had a 4th album that I didn't know about. She married a member of the band, according to allmusic.com.

According to VH 1 Falco was listed as a one hit wonder since the follow-up tune was in the bottom of the top 40 and died shortly afterward in a car crash. he was also reponsible for the song "Der Kommisar".Yes, but After The Fire was the band that had the big hit with it. There's a definite One Hit Wonder there.

The Tubes: She's a BeautyThe Tubes had a bit of a cult following for a while before that album. I also remember the song "Talk To You Later". "She's A Beauty" brings back memories of the summer of 1983.

One of my favorite one hit wonders is "Driver's Seat" by Sniff 'n' the Tears. I had to look up the album title though - Fickle Heart.

CaptainSolo1138
02-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Agreed. I have their first three albums. Just noticed now that they had a 4th album that I didn't know about. I believe its called "Sister", right? I wasn't too terribly impressed with what I heard of it so I never bought it. After "Go!", though, anything would sound like carp. That's gotta be one of my top 5 albums of all time.

Rocketboy
02-04-2007, 09:30 PM
I believe its called "Sister", right? I wasn't too terribly impressed with what I heard of it so I never bought it. After "Go!", though, anything would sound like carp. That's gotta be one of my top 5 albums of all time.After getting "Go" the other day, and listening to it numerous times, I think I have to agree that it is indeed awesome. I just wish I had bought it 10 years ago...

Sister was actually their first album, and later re-released with extra songs. I haven't listened to it in ages, but I was also unimpressed by it.

Their cover of "I Want You TO Want Me" is one of my absolute favorite covers.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Yes, Sister is the name of it. I actually didn't care for Go!as much as the first two, though it did have some good songs on it. "I Got Time", "Anchor" and "Co-Pilot" are my favorites from that album. Wholesale Meats And Fish is probably my favorite LTC album.

iTunes only has Go! and Wholesale. I checked out samples of Sister on allmusic.com. Didn't sound like anything special, plus the first track is a re-recording of "I See" from their first album. From short clip, it didn't sound as good as the earlier version.

CaptainSolo1138
02-05-2007, 06:35 AM
After getting "Go" the other day, and listening to it numerous times, I think I have to agree that it is indeed awesome. I just wish I had bought it 10 years ago...I can't think of a song on that disk that I don't like.

Sister was actually their first album, and later re-released with extra songs. I haven't listened to it in ages, but I was also unimpressed by it.We'll I'll be. Thanks for the info.

Their cover of "I Want You TO Want Me" is one of my absolute favorite covers.A great cover indeed. But considering my great hate for all things Rick Nielsen, K-Fed would have done a good job on that song.

Rocketboy
02-05-2007, 02:37 PM
We'll I'll be. Thanks for the info.Don't thank me, thank letterstocleo.net for that nugget.

DarkArtist
02-05-2007, 05:36 PM
How about:

Sister Christian - Night Ranger
Chumbawumba - Tubthumping

Mad Slanted Powers
02-05-2007, 06:49 PM
How about:

Sister Christian - Night Ranger
Chumbawumba - Tubthumping

I wouldn't consider Night Ranger to be a one hit wonder. That was their highest charting song, but they had another top 10 hit a couple years later with "Sentimental Street". They had six top 40 hits, and several others that charted on the Mainstream Rock charts.

Here's a one hit wonder though:

4 Non Blondes - "What's Up?"

El Chuxter
02-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Which is sad, because Bigger Better Faster More! is one of the best rock albums of the 1990s. I saw them open for Aerosmith and, though I can't say they blew them away, those ladies held their own.

Wait a second... they also had "Dear Mr President" and "Spaceman."

Mad Slanted Powers
02-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Which is sad, because Bigger Better Faster More! is one of the best rock albums of the 1990s. I saw them open for Aerosmith and, though I can't say they blew them away, those ladies held their own.

Wait a second... they also had "Dear Mr President" and "Spaceman."

"Spaceman" reached #39 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, but did not chart on the Hot 100. Just listened to a clip of it as I don't remember it. I think I like "Spaceboy" by The Smashing Pumpkins better.

DarthQuack
02-05-2007, 08:23 PM
What about Kryie by Mister Mister? :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-05-2007, 09:15 PM
What about Kryie by Mister Mister? :thumbsup:But I believe "Broken Wings" was a bigger hit. Mr. Mister had a couple others, IIRC, from their album Welcome to the Real World.

Today I heard "Seether" by Veruca Salt. It's a weird-but-cool tune. Album? American Thighs. :eek:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-05-2007, 09:48 PM
But I believe "Broken Wings" was a bigger hit. Mr. Mister had a couple others, IIRC, from their album Welcome to the Real World.Actually, they were both #1.

Today I heard "Seether" by Veruca Salt. It's a weird-but-cool tune. Album? American Thighs. :eek:Great album. One of my favorites. That song only made the Modern Rock Tracks chart. "Volcano Girls" charted just as high, but then they had a falling out. They've released a couple albums without Nina Gordon, but I don't recall hearing anything from them other than samples I've listened to online recently.

2-1B
02-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Mr. Big:
To Be With You