PDA

View Full Version : Simpsons

Pages : 1 [2]

Bel-Cam Jos
11-22-2010, 10:03 AM
I liked the Avatar couch gag, and the rip on Fox News ("it's unbalanced," "it's not fair" :p ) to open the show. I switched over to the end of the SNF game and missed the end, though, just as Mr. Burns returned to normal and turned on his vibrating skull throne. What happened? HOW DID IT END?!? Someone MUST tell me!!! (or not)

JediTricks
11-22-2010, 05:05 PM
He figured out being evil kept him alive. That's all I remember.

JimJamBonds
11-22-2010, 05:22 PM
The opening was good and overall I thought the episode was alright. Although the "Burns soon to die" thing has been done before.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Although the "Burns soon to die" thing has been done before.My fave has always been the doctor who has the little door and jams in all those fuzzy toys in it to explain how all his diseases are in perfect balance. It had some "scientific name" I can't recall now.

Lord Malakite
11-22-2010, 11:15 PM
He figured out being evil kept him alive. That's all I remember.
He also tried to put a dome over Springfield as revenge for the revenge taken out on him (to which Lenny replied it had already been done before and Carl stated they could just dig under it if anyone had any common sense to listen to him).

My fave has always been the doctor who has the little door and jams in all those fuzzy toys in it to explain how all his diseases are in perfect balance. It had some "scientific name" I can't recall now.
I think he called it "Stooge Syndrome" if i'm remembering correctly.

JediTricks
11-23-2010, 05:22 AM
Mr Burns upon hearing the dome had been done suggested a lexan cube to which someone mentioned it was basically the same thing.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-23-2010, 08:58 AM
I think he called it "Stooge Syndrome" if i'm remembering correctly.I thought that's what he'd said but I couldn't remember WHY he did. Just how many times did the Three Stooges get stuck in doorways?

JimJamBonds
11-23-2010, 06:36 PM
My fave has always been the doctor who has the little door and jams in all those fuzzy toys in it to explain how all his diseases are in perfect balance. It had some "scientific name" I can't recall now.That was the episode I thought of as well. Although when Monty picked Burns to be his heir was pretty good as well.

I think he called it "Stooge Syndrome" if i'm remembering correctly. Yup, you are correct sir.

I forgot to mention I thought the scene with the tv network heads was pretty funny. TNT and TBS not liking each other? :D

DarthQuack
12-01-2010, 08:21 PM
So I just picked up seasons 1-5 at Target over the weekend for $9.99 a piece....is there any good deals anyone else is aware of, or a good way to pick up other seasons? Is BF the only time these seasons are cheap?

Bel-Cam Jos
12-05-2010, 11:08 PM
I liked this'n on several levels. Will there be a spinoff with the characters as Suppets (Sinmpson Muppets)? Will the "Moe is a troll/goblin" line ever get old?

Lord Malakite
12-06-2010, 03:42 AM
Will there be a spinoff with the characters as Suppets (Simpson Muppets)?
Assuming you aren't asking that as a joke question, I doubt it. The Muppet portion was descent and I do think that they could expand upon it or one of the other non-cartoon animation formats (stop-motion, claymation, CGI, etc.) to make several possible interesting full 30 minute episodes. However, the Simpsons (regardless of format) are still going to be "the Simpsons" regardless of how you slice it. Changing the format is a "band-aid" at best. I don't think the novelty of the change would be enough to warrant a spin-off that in essence would, aside from the new format, be a retread of the animated characters/stories that many already feel have overstayed their time on TV.

Rocketboy
12-06-2010, 09:05 AM
The puppet bit will probably/hopefully go down in Simpsons history as one of those cool one time things, like the CG Bart and Homer (from an old Treehouse of Horror) and the Live-Action intro.
There was a claymation bit somewhere too, IIRC.

Was that that seriously an oral joke at the end with Moe and Katy (giggity) Perry?

:thumbsup: (or should I say :p)

Bel-Cam Jos
12-06-2010, 07:29 PM
I was joshin' about them as Suppets in a series. I, too, was a bit surprised by the Moe/Katie exchange.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2011, 12:43 PM
I was wondering if any character would ever use the 'G' word, instead of euphemisms. It was a decent episode. Has Superintendent Chalmers always been first-named 'Greg'? (or was it Gary?) I did like how Moe's was built as Mo's then re-built back to Moe's, with commentary (and Moe's paintings of his previous bars).

Darth Metalmute
01-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Has Superintendent Chalmers always been first-named 'Greg'? (or was it Gary?)

It's Gary.

I thought it was a decent episode. They kind of rushed the Kristen Wig bit.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-21-2011, 09:46 AM
This one where Angry Dad: The Movie cleans up at awards time was pretty good. The little sign by the bar with Ricky Gervais's picture saying "Do Not Let This Man Host" was good. I usually like the CGI parts ("Mixar's clip, the psuedo-Wallace & Grommit, even the melancholy war cartoon, but didn't like the bleeding nose gag one), and this was no different. Mr. Carrothead, gangsta WALL-E; all funny.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-14-2011, 09:05 PM
The last couple of shows have had pretty good stories; Cheech and Chong actually made for a cool plot.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-21-2011, 10:12 AM
I set the DVR for last night's Simpsons, then as I flipped over the Fox and watched, I realized I'd seen it before. I guess I didn't recognize the summary blurb (Mr. Burns is gonna die, Bart's Sarah Silverman-voiced "girlfriend" character, Lisa blogs with FLOTUS).

Bel-Cam Jos
03-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Star Wars references in this week's new one, and even Homer said "no SW parodies." It wasn't too bad, but not as funny or insightful as recent episodes. Couch gag was a bit weird, but the chalkboard writing was timely (NCAA brackets).

lilhoward
03-30-2011, 05:53 PM
the simpsons idea of a chaotic neighborhood "slice of life"theme set the standards of series we have nowadays :smoker: (http://breastenlargementpittsburgh.com/blog-pittsburgh-pa) . no offense to family guy american dad or king of the hill but some episodes they have were still "beneath the box" world the simpsons made..if you get what i mean..

Bel-Cam Jos
04-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Did I miss the couch gag? Or was the Rio birds opening meant to replace it?

I liked the storyline of this one; magic that wasn't too cheesy. The end with Lisa's magic teacher was a nice touch, too.

Lord Malakite
04-17-2011, 05:02 AM
You didn't miss it. No couch gag was shown. There probably is a couch gag for this episode, but FOX simply chose to the air that Rio promo in its place instead.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Wel, having "that announcement" interrupt my viewing of this week's episode (oddly enough, the DVR showed the whole show, meaning FOX didn't pre-empt it), I watched it yesterday. Not bad, but the wedded-to-Selma plot is getting a tad old, even if the characters are mocking it throughout.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Homer has another job skill, but nothing for nuclear plant employment. :rolleyes: I liked the extended couch gag. Just how many parents don't show DVD chapter 1 of Finding Nemo?

Darth Metalmute
05-10-2011, 07:17 AM
I laughed a whole lot at this episode. Just about every homer line was a winner.

My kids have always seen chapter 1, but I know alot of people who haven't seen it. We were actually recommended not to show it to our children, but I typically ignore peoples advice when they don't have children.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Nice subtle couch gag. Episode-wise, it was decent.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Odd ending for a season finale. But the plot was decent (I LOL'd at the squid in the canal and chuckled at the Maggie/Burns recall). No couch gag once again?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Season XXIII begins next Sunday, Sep. XXV, MMXI. When has the season begun in a month before November, in recent years?

Darth Metalmute
09-19-2011, 01:33 PM
I think the past couple have. Last year for sure.

JediTricks
09-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Season 23 started with a big idea parody and just felt so thin and flat and lazily-written. I am thinking that The Simpsons is getting pulled out of my DVR permanently this season.

El Chuxter
09-27-2011, 03:31 PM
I hate to say this, but the show has actually been "fair-to-middlin'" for longer than it was cutting edge and consistently funny. :(

Lord Malakite
09-27-2011, 06:19 PM
On a slightly related note, Burger King is currently doing another Halloween themed set of Simpson figures in their kids meals if anyone is interested.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-30-2011, 06:43 PM
I liked the first one, but not overly so; smile-worthy, not laugh-worthy. I had forgotten about the Ned/Edna "tease" to end the season.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Tonight's was really good; one of the rare episodes that's not too sappy, nor too over-the-top. Well-written, with just enough funny and just enough inside jokes. And TR was a "Guest Voice"? In the online clip played, I guess.

Darth Metalmute
10-03-2011, 10:15 AM
You catch the opening Ren and Stimpy couch gag?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-03-2011, 08:35 PM
I was wondering if it was by the actual R&S creator, then noticed his signature as it closed.

El Chuxter
10-04-2011, 03:36 PM
I had to look this up, having not watched the episode. I wouldn't say it's a Ren & Stimpy gag exactly, no more than a comic book adaptation of The Diary of Anne Frank by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko would be a "Spider-Man comic."

Lord Malakite
10-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Looks like The Simpsons are facing the real possibility of ending after this season over financial troubles (http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=673511&gt1=28103).

Bel-Cam Jos
10-31-2011, 05:57 PM
This most recent Treehouse of Horror wasn't as horror-filled, but funnier than most. My DVR somehow missed the first few seconds of the opening. :( Parodies of and allusions to Avatar, 127 Hours, Road Runner/Coyote, and nice Psycho background score.

OC47150
10-31-2011, 08:13 PM
The pre-credits skit/takeoff on 127 Hours was funny. The Avatar sketch was the best.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Weird. I felt like this story was a rehash, but it was just different enough to be pretty decent. It had aspects of Funzo, any science fair episode ("bent my Wookiee," model of Westminster Abbey, "Tell-Tale Heart" parody, et al), Bart-befriends-Martin, caring for the Springfield Retirement Castle members (a "shocking" death there?), Ned not knowing connotations of words he's used around Rod and Tod, Homer getting fired (sort of) and award ceremonies at the power plant.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-14-2011, 03:59 PM
I really liked this "foodies" one, even if I don't like the concept of foodie blogs. But that's somewhat current, I guess. Just about all the family was featured, and several background characters. A French meth lab organizer? Who knew?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2011, 10:41 PM
A fairly original episode storyline; by parodying Ocean's [number] films, of course. ;) I really liked the background song, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Not bad, not super this week. I don't recall laughing much, though.

JediTricks
11-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Pretty much on the nose with both of the last episodes. I didn't hate the last episode, but it didn't make me laugh much either.

Darth Metalmute
12-03-2011, 02:59 PM
A fairly original episode storyline; by parodying Ocean's [number] films, of course. ;) I really liked the background song, too.

I really liked this one. I laughed so hard at one of the jokes I woke my wife up. Haven't laughed that hard at a Simpsons joke in years.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Interesting that most Krusty-centric episodes aren't funny. But there were a few moments of ha-ha.

Darth Metalmute
12-07-2011, 08:57 PM
When Maggie saluted Hitler, I had to rewind it to make sure what I was seeing. I got a kick out of that. But then again, I find disturbing things funny.

JediTricks
12-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Yeah, Maggie's heil salute was a bit of a wild side thing for the show, seems like there's a real dichotomy in the writers' room at the show right now, and they can't decide on which way to take it. I'd like to see more Matt Groening-derived humor, not more "safe Simpsons silliness" malaise that the show has been suffering the last decade.

As for Krusty-themed episodes, they're not quite Lisa episodes, but you do make a good point, they are a tad thin usually in the funny, and this was no exception, although the writing I thought was more interesting than most Krusty eps.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Just as the credits are running on it, I think this was my favorite Christmas episode, and better than the other future scenario ones, too. Lots of "you think we're gonna go one way, then have a different joke" dialogue.

OC47150
12-12-2011, 02:33 PM
It was a pretty decent ep. Humorous that Maggie still doesn't speak even in the future.

Darth Metalmute
12-12-2011, 06:35 PM
I liked this one as well. I had to pause it several times to see all the quick jokes.

JediTricks
12-13-2011, 03:18 PM
It was cute, but felt like a Futurama ripoff in some ways. Also, I thought it weird that they didn't pitch Bart & Lisa's adult voices down like they have in the past.

JimJamBonds
12-13-2011, 07:34 PM
It was decent, kept me watching so I guess that is good.

Humorous that Maggie still doesn't speak even in the future.
That's been done before.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-16-2012, 09:48 AM
So, "Springface" ruins intercommunication, stops productivity, creates superficial "relationships," promotes and generates anger and frustration, eh? There's no way THAT could ever happen in the real world; Simpsons writers and their fictional stories... :rolleyes:

Angry Nerds. (heh heh heh)

JediTricks
01-16-2012, 03:45 PM
That episode was ok, even if it was a bit cheap to simply lift from The Social Network. Some of the gags didn't feel like Simpsons at all, Angry Nerds and the bowling, Bartboarding. The pat Lisa-style ending was a bit rough, but the rest was a'ight. The post-story bits were good too.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2012, 06:42 PM
The post-story bits were good too. Was that the old-timey cartoon style story? (and what is that style? ... I know I've seen it before, and not just from a previous Simpsons episode)

Lord Malakite
01-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Was that the old-timey cartoon style story? (and what is that style? ... I know I've seen it before, and not just from a previous Simpsons episode)
You've probably seen that style used before from Edward Gorey's works, like the opening/closing titles from Mystery (on PBS).

JediTricks
01-18-2012, 03:16 PM
You've probably seen that style used before from Edward Gorey's works, like the opening/closing titles from Mystery (on PBS).Yes, that sounds right. I was trying to recall the name and absolutely could not come up with it.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-01-2012, 10:01 PM
I picked up on Jeremy Irons' voice quickly. An interesting way to sort-of trace something through history, but a rag?

JimJamBonds
02-01-2012, 10:08 PM
That was JI?!?! I thought it was a decent episode but like you said BCJ...a rag!...err tapestry.

Darth Metalmute
02-01-2012, 10:19 PM
I was torn between Irons and Grammer. I didn't get the premise. The "rag" originally foretold the future. Then it quickly became a rag. I would have preferred they continued the fortune telling portion each time getting smaller and smaller until the last fortune was Moe having the small piece.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-20-2012, 09:51 AM
I watched last week's a few hours before this 500th episode (liked the couch gags in each). Both were pretty good, nothing super-dooper. Likes: Wikileaks (even if it was an old reference), Outlands opening/couch gag, myth cracking.

JimJamBonds
02-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Not too bad of an episode, happy 500th Simpsons!

JediTricks
02-21-2012, 03:11 PM
I found it a really bad episode after they had been on an upsweep of quality. In fact, I'd say it was second only to Saddlesore Galactica and Simpsons Safari. The basis of the story has been done so many times, including the movie itself, and the payoff with them living the lives of scumbags was just completely broad and stupidly-conceived with nothing actually coming from the characters themselves, except for jerkass moron Homer at his worst. The only laugh I can remember is Bart spray painting in homage to the chalkboard gag. And to squander Sideshow Bob with just the 1 line, only to fill time with the pointless Wikileaks Julian Assange bit was wasteful.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-21-2012, 06:30 PM
I stand corrected; JT told me the episodes sucked instead of being decent. :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
02-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Pshaw. Everyone knows Wikileaks was Lemmiwinks' evil brother.

(That might've been a crappy episode, but Lemmiwinks could save anything. Wait, wrong cartoon.)

JediTricks
02-22-2012, 03:35 PM
I stand corrected; JT told me the episodes sucked instead of being decent. :rolleyes:I did? Really? Show me where I said that, where I told you what to think. I said "I found it a really bad episode...", which is a personal review and CLEARLY stated as such in the very first section of the sentence.

Lord Malakite
02-22-2012, 05:01 PM
It was kind of "eh" for an episode. The premise story wise/joke wise was decent enough for a milestone (sort of a "tongue & cheek" nod toward fan sentiment that the show is still on and should of ended a long time ago), if of course it had't already been done several times over in past episodes and the movie (like JT stated). Definitely a letdown for a milestone episode, especially the 500th.

Darth Metalmute
02-22-2012, 06:57 PM
I was disappointed with it as well; mainly because it was the 500th episode. But I did as I was told: I went outside before I went on the internet and claimed it sucked...

I think I would have preferred a clip show. They haven't done those in a while.

The best part was when Homer and Lisa were arguing over Dragon Insurance.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-23-2012, 07:19 PM
I did? Really? Show me where I said that, where I told you what to think. I said "I found it a really bad episode...", which is a personal review and CLEARLY stated as such in the very first section of the sentence.It was a trick, from a Jedi. For some reason, I have no memory of being tricked, however. Odd. :o

And according to the new WikiConsititution, Amendment 404, any comment with an emoticon after it cannot be taken personally. ;)

JediTricks
02-27-2012, 05:38 PM
The episode wasn't written as a special episode, it was just a regular season episode and along the way they realized that it had some elements dealing with the characters' pasts, so they decided to just wing it and make it the 500th episode. If this had been a regular episode, I would have thought it sucked, but I wouldn't have cared enough to actually bother commenting on it. :p

It was a trick, from a Jedi. For some reason, I have no memory of being tricked, however. Odd. http://www.sirstevesguide.com/images/smilies/redface.gifAnd you're down a whole slave, having lost a bet over a race. But at least you have the other one still.

And according to the new WikiConsititution, Amendment 404, any comment with an emoticon after it cannot be taken personally. http://www.sirstevesguide.com/images/smilies/wink.gifYou suck! :mad: (see? Just because it had an emoticon doesn't mean it couldn't be taken personally.) Also, you don't suck. :p Ha! You're trapped in an endless cycle.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Have we always known Marge's birthday was March 19th? Well, I guess it is. I cannot for the life of me place the couch gag intro.; I want to say The Sims, but I'm sure that's wrong because of the feudal motif. I feel dumb. :( But I liked this episode; the mini sword fight, various graffiti poster humor.

JediTricks
03-05-2012, 03:02 PM
While I haven't seen it yet, I was sure that was Game of Thrones, and sure enough today's news confirmed it.

This episode didn't do it for me, the Homer & Marge plotline just dropped partway through, the Bart plotline felt a tad out of character and over the top, and the end result was predictable. It wasn't a terrible episode, but it wasn't right either, it was more an "almost was" based on the ideas that didn't get fully fleshed out.

Darth Metalmute
03-06-2012, 07:53 PM
The couch gags are not taping on my dvr. I can't set it up to tape earlier as I am taping "gulp" the Cleveland show as well. So where one cuts out and the other cuts lies the couch gag.:dispirited:

JediTricks
03-08-2012, 12:53 AM
My DVR has 2 tuners so I can record both the end of Cleveland and the beginning of Simpsons as they overlap, but my DVR now also will simply bump the beginning of a show if both tuners are in action. You may want to check that for your unit.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Homer wets the bed, eh? It had its moments, but for the most part, only okay.

JediTricks
03-14-2012, 07:27 PM
I really liked the episode once it got into its Inception elements. IMO, if they had downplayed the first part of the story, added more inside their heads, this would have made a MUUUUCH better 500th episode than what we got. The return to the Tracy Ulman short was worth the price of admission alone.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Best part of this week's was Brent Spiner (I :D'd right when I heard his voice). I didn't notice any alpha-numeric "jokes" on the robots (i.e. B4, U2, A1, WD40, etc.).

JediTricks
03-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Spiner being the voice of the bots also got a rise out of me. Otherwise it was a forgettable episode, but not a terrible one.

Lord Malakite
03-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Best part of the episode for me was the mass robot suicide in the middle of the street. Haven't cracked up like that in while.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Sure, this was another Bart-fall-in-love story, but I liked it. However, I'm lost as to which real TV series was Homer's addiction... :crazed:

JediTricks
04-16-2012, 07:40 PM
The moment we got to the couch gag, I had a HUGE grin on my face because I immediately recognized the art style of Bill Plympton. And Plympton did not disappoint even a little, there was no watering-down-for-the-big-tv-show about it, it had a salacious and outlandish little story that was note-perfect for a Plymptoon. Towards the end I found myself applauding The Simpsons, something I had never done before.

Too bad I didn't enjoy the episode itself much. I just tried to watch it again on DVR, once the couch gag was done it was quickly deleted, I just couldn't get into it, too much middling, doughy writing, especially the second half which didn't really go anywhere new. Also, Bart seeing a boob seemed almost grotesque for this show, it would have been right for Bongo from Life in Hell which is sorta where Bart really is but the show has made itself fairly PG in the modern world when it comes to Bart.

On the other other hand, "Stranded" did have a rock that used Alien Language 1 from Futurama, with the oh-so-clever message of "Watch Futurama Thursdays at 10", and at the end there was Fry and Leela stuck on an asteroid.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-16-2012, 08:18 PM
I didn't really know the artist of the couch gag (even though I saw the signature at the end), but I thought it was the best CG ever. The Oregon Springfield reference in the cloud/city fly-over was neat. Not too often do we get 'into' the bullies all that often.

JediTricks
04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Cloud City? I guess site-context affects what I see. :p

Bill Plympton is da man! He is an amazing independent animator, his short "Your Face" was Oscar nominated, he's a real American original. He's the first person to ever draw every frame of a commercial, full-length, animated movie. He's also a really cool guy, he'll usually draw you something if you go up to his booth at Comic-Con. His work is unpredictable too, some is very PG and others are R. Some of it showed up on MTV and the indie animation circuits starting in the late '80s.

As for this episode, I didn't think they got into the bullies much here, they were hardly characters, just props for the storyline to move along. We didn't get anything from Kearney or Dolph (or "Dorf and Ernie" as Marge called them, that was funny) and Jimbo really didn't have any insight or new stuff to do.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Not the greatest couch gag, but it was "different," I guess.

A merging of multiple previous episode storylines into one; not too bad for this one. Just not really funny (more cute or quirky, even sentimental at times).

JediTricks
05-01-2012, 03:16 PM
I agree on the couch gag.

I thought this episode was ok right up until the turn halfway through the cruise, then Bart hatches a really out-there plan and it's just too much for me, reminds me of the ADD drugs episode, just too broad and way out of character.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-10-2012, 12:06 AM
I wish Bryan Cranston's role was bigger, but it was still pretty decent. No Malcolm in-jokes? The Nelson "side story" was almost non-existent.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Next week's season finale has a guest voice of... Lady Gaga. This week was another education-related one, plus playing off the Ned-is-a-straight-arrow motif. Interesting to see his parents back, man, even if it was in a facist capitalist flashback, man.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-21-2012, 05:16 PM
This wasn't too bad for a season finale; even if the Lisa's-not-popular storyline was renewed. I was actually surprised at just how much LG's voice & character was featured in the episode. Also liked the simplicity of the Zii couch gag.

Lord Malakite
05-22-2012, 07:06 PM
So who plans on heading out to the theater just to catch the Maggie Simpson short before the new Ice Age movie.

Darth Metalmute
05-22-2012, 10:55 PM
I might go, but mainly because my kids love Ice Age.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2012, 08:13 AM
So who plans on heading out to the theater just to catch the Maggie Simpson short before the new Ice Age movie.But I heard that the best part was the poster they made for it...

JediTricks
05-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Season finale didn't work for me. The Lisa story was really mean, but didn't pay off well, it just went A to B, then magically arrived at C. Lady Gaga didn't sound at ALL like herself, and the gags were all over the map, some funny and grounded, others worse than any FG way-nutty material. And Lisa's criticism was dead-on, then they gloss over it like that's all it takes to get past the issue is to acknowledge it. Bart was really nasty too, then just basically disappeared. Lady Gaga kissed Marge for no reason, then Marge got hot and that was the end of that - except for a twitter hashtag (I am so sick of shows trying to force trending the moment it happens with these on-screen hashtags, go die in a ditch you awful concept!) Ned had 1 line and was out. Homer was just kinda "there". Not the worst, not remotely good in my book tho.

Darth Metalmute
05-23-2012, 06:10 PM
(I am so sick of shows trying to force trending the moment it happens with these on-screen hashtags, go die in a ditch you awful concept!)

AMEN! Whenever someone uses these on my facebook page I belittle them to no end.

JediTricks
05-24-2012, 03:08 PM
AMEN! Whenever someone uses these on my facebook page I belittle them to no end.Good man, keep performing that service to mankind, we need more like that.

Darth Metalmute
05-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Good man, keep performing that service to mankind, we need more like that.

It appears to be a losing battle, but I will keep up the good fight.

What I find hilarious about it is the majority of the people that do it have no idea why.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2012, 09:08 AM
It appears to be a losing battle, but I will keep up the good fight.

What I find hilarious about it is the majority of the people that do it have no idea why.Maybe they need a #tash hag to tell them how/what to think. :tired:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2012, 09:25 AM
The BTTF, Marge's sold-soul, and black hole storylines were okay. I liked the opening Mayan "sketch" the best.

JimJamBonds
10-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Yup that was a good one, I lol'd when they said it'd be "Obamas fault."

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2012, 09:49 AM
It's been a while since there've been posts. The last few episodes have been good, not spectacular. I wondered what "Lisa eats bugs" meant; now I know. Abe's love interest; Lisa as a secret cursive writer, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-26-2012, 05:53 PM
I liked this one: Homer's tech addiction (sort of) and the weird "Hope" tree. Funny to see how white hair happens.

JediTricks
11-28-2012, 03:04 PM
I knew it was going to be Homer sleepwalking, it just felt like the kind of (pardon the pun) "sappy" note they'd pull out. This wasn't a great episode for me, Homer finally after 23 years takes issue with his life feels false, but I get that they needed something to work off of that they hadn't done before. It wasn't the worst effort, but it couldn't compare to the simple laughs I got out of Bob's Burgers.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-11-2012, 08:01 AM
As tough as a 20+ year show has it to be original, this one came as close as that. Sure, there've been "cool" neighbors or friends before that the family loves at some point but loathes later, but I liked the choices of voices and there were tons of inside references (some I didn't get, I'm sure). Biggest oddity? No couch gag. :eek: But I do like the new shorts at the end.

JediTricks
12-12-2012, 03:25 PM
I was impressed that they avoided using the term "hipsters" entirely. Other than that, this was a modernized take on the different neighbors thing and the neighbor kid who was kept from being normal the way Bart somehow is claiming to be.

No comment for Lisa being smarter because she was breastfed? That felt really preachy and even tacked on in post-production.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-14-2013, 12:24 AM
Another school testing episode, but with a slightly different twist. Fairly sure there hadn't been a parking meter-based side story before; maybe. Overall, it wasn't too bad. I did like the couch gag.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Oh, and their memorial panel at the end for "Howell Huell" :rolleyes: was a nice touch.

JediTricks
01-15-2013, 10:21 PM
That panel wasn't Howell Huser, Howell Huser had different hair, dark gray, while the Simpsons art of Huell Howser when he guested had blond hair a la the tribute panel. That was the actual Huell Howser when he was guest voicing himself playing what I remember being a host of a ripoff of Food Network's "Unwrapped with Mark Summers". It was a touching memorial, very nice.

The actual episode felt like it was trying to be more clever about well-trod territory but lost its way partway through writing.

CRAAAAAP! I just realized I got sidetracked and didn't make it to the Huell Howser sunset salute at Griffith Park! I was halfway out the door and had to take care of some business on the phone that ended up taking a lot longer than I thought, and totally forgot.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Another storm story arc (it was okay, some funny bits), and a slightly-new kids watching (guardianship, if both Marge and Homer were to die) concept. Loved the Uncle Herb phone message part, plus the live lobster sandwich.

Darth Metalmute
01-28-2013, 08:19 AM
This was the first Simpsons I've seen since November thanks to the local Fox blackout. While it wasn't perfect, it was great to see them again. I loved the Uncle Herb message.

JediTricks
01-28-2013, 07:35 PM
This was a better than recent-average episode, although there was some stupid stuff like riding a dolphin as a surfboard. Herb's outgoing voicemail was a great touch, I had been wondering what happened with Herb lately. I was surprised that Marge didn't consider Ned Flanders for godparent though, even as a throwaway.

JimJamBonds
01-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Yeah it was decent. I didn't fall asleep until AFTER it was over.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-03-2013, 10:50 PM
I liked this one. I forget just how weird some fads are (see the couch gag this week), especially dance ones lately. The storage unit obsession story was pretty good, and even yet another Grampa backstory held up well. Been a while since there'd been a decent original song on the show. Best part? Bart's sunglasses during his "bad boy" baseball game. :kanyeburn:

JediTricks
03-04-2013, 07:54 PM
How is it that all the other old wrestlers are wrinkly bodies, but grandpa ain't?

JimJamBonds
03-04-2013, 09:43 PM
I was happy to see the episode quickly move away from the storage wars idea. All in all not too bad.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-10-2013, 11:02 PM
I was completely lost as to who the substitute's voice was; found out in the credits. Two interesting storylines: Ned vs. Homer in a slightly different way than previously done, Lisa vs. her new sub. Couch gag looked cool, too (by Bill Couldn't-Read-the-Last-Name-But-the-Style-Looks-Familiar?).

Lord Malakite
03-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Couch gag looked cool, too (by Bill Couldn't-Read-the-Last-Name-But-the-Style-Looks-Familiar?).
It was Bill Plympton. He also did the couch gag from last season where Homer left the couch for Marge, then the couch had a baby and goes into prostitution before Homer finally adopts the couch and baby chair into the Simpson family.

JediTricks
03-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Another great Bill Plympton couch gag, the man is an amazing talent - he draws either the entire things or the key frames, he started out drawing every frame himself but after several movies doing that he's finally gotten some help. The family's reaction to Maggie with the gun was awesome.

The episode itself was way out of character though, Ned punching Homer? Lisa's teacher being crappy because she thought Lisa was a pretty girl? None of this felt authentic. And to reverse Ned's age back to a realistic level was surprising, kinda changes his personality a little.

That said, it wasn't a terrible episode but it wasn't "good" in my book and the stuff with Bart should have had more room to breathe.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Bart's in trouble? The family's in court? This one was okay.

JediTricks
03-21-2013, 03:34 PM
It had Janet Reno as herself, and her sister was a voice actor as well. That was weird. But the youth court thing didn't really do it for me, and there wasn't anything about the gag that was worse than the stuff they have tolerated from Bart, from Homer, from Mr Burns ("merry fishmas!"), et al., but I did enjoy Moe's breaking down at the testimony about Bart's crank calls - I've used "Mike Rotch" joke m'self. Speaking of Mr Burns though, there was his out of the blue passion for comic books and then becoming Batman, that was... quite a thing to see.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-15-2013, 06:16 PM
This was one of the oddest episodes I've seen. It wasn't too funny, and really seemed to rehash previous ones (including references to actual Simpsons episodes).

JediTricks
04-16-2013, 01:47 PM
I can barely remember it at all. Something about Milhouse treating Lisa like crap and she liking it, and... who cares, it was just awkward and felt like a retread with a new framing mechanism.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Were both of those new episodes? And didn't the teevee guide say that the Maggie Simpson short was supposed to be shown, too?

Lord Malakite
04-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Were both of those new episodes? And didn't the teevee guide say that the Maggie Simpson short was supposed to be shown, too?
The Milhouse episode was from this season, but it was a repeat. The bed bug/Homer deacon episode was new. The Maggie Simpson short, if I'm not mistaken, was shown on Fox a few weeks back on the same week when the Milhouse episode was new/premiered. The short wasn't shown last night though.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-30-2013, 06:50 PM
The short wasn't shown last night though.If only the Simpsons had some catch phrase to express my disappointment.

JediTricks
05-01-2013, 11:06 PM
The award-nominated short has been shown twice on TV though, and it's online too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoO0s1ukcqQ

Bel-Cam Jos
05-13-2013, 08:10 PM
That was a cool couch gag (Homer as an action figure), but "brought to you by Subway"? :confused: Is there anything that CAN'T be sponsored anymore? :( Homer loses his hair, Bart fakes a skill, Marge and driving issues, bad Eastern European accents. I liked the Nelson "urgent message" to Skinner.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-22-2013, 07:43 PM
A "one-hour" season finale! Alright! Wait, it's the usual "two half-hour episodes = a one-hour one." But they were pretty good ones, I guess.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Wow, newest season premiere is already here: Sunday night begins season quarter-century. :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-01-2013, 10:34 PM
I haven't seen any Homeland episodes, but this one was pretty good. And it seems like a Treehouse of Horror will actually be in October (next week?).

Darth Metalmute
10-02-2013, 06:18 PM
You hear they are going to kill off another character? I'm betting on Abe.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Nope; it'll be Senor Ding Dong for sure. :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
10-04-2013, 11:44 PM
As long as it's not Disco Stu. Though the "Disco Stu is dead" jokes could be amusing. His death would not be advertised.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-05-2013, 08:58 AM
He could be invited to a Grunge Gemolition Night at the baseball stadium, and have him die in an out-of-control fire.

He could contract and die of Disco Fever at a Saturday night vinyl records convention.

He could be attacked by a new wave of water when he cannot enter his own home, since his girl changed the stupid lock, and made him leave his key.

He could get into a street fight with Rick Dees and die of a punch he didn't duck from in time.

He, Indiana Jones, the members of Devo, famous lion tamer Gunther Gable Williams, and of course Senor Ding Dong, all enter a Thunderdome-type arena. About 8 men enter; only about 7 men leave.

Lord Malakite
10-05-2013, 10:00 PM
It was just announced the other day that The Simpsons has been renewed for a season 26.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-07-2013, 06:32 PM
That was the best Treehouse of Horror, IMVHO. One of the best openings, too (definitely the best for a THOH); have they ever done an extended parody of the opening before, in any episode? I can't seem to recall if they have.

Lord Malakite
10-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Wasn't quite expecting the reference in the opening and the parody story both for the movie Freaks.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2013, 11:00 PM
I liked the Hobbit-style opening. This was a sort of flashback ret-con episode, but I liked how they did it. Quite a few risqué comments and cool punny signs throughout. I knew they'd put in a "In Memory of" for Marcia Wallace. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2013, 09:05 AM
I didn't laugh too much, but this one was decent; to-do lists and cheating in school have been previous plotlines though. My DVR seems to be cutting off the chalkboard part of the intro (and I usually start it a minute early, too). :mad:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Can we assume that the character being killed isn't Edna Krabappel simply because they stated upon Marcia Wallace's death that her character's lines had already been recorded for the entire season?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2013, 11:06 AM
I wonder if they would insert a new episode to address her death. But I would guess that Anakin Solo will die.

Wait; this isn't the EU thread? :rolleyes:

Lord Malakite
11-12-2013, 12:09 AM
Can we assume that the character being killed isn't Edna Krabappel simply because they stated upon Marcia Wallace's death that her character's lines had already been recorded for the entire season?
You can do more than assume its not Edna. In those interviews when they were asked about the character death for this season they also flat out stated that the character being killed off was unrelated to Edna and/or Marcia Wallace's recent health/death.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-21-2013, 08:11 PM
The Homer Jr. episode was pretty good. Little funnies throughout.

Darth Metalmute
11-27-2013, 02:27 PM
The past episode was one of the funniest I've seen in a while. I loved the Play-Annoying Grunt modeling clay and the "Lisa, your vegetables are being buttered by someone who loves you" line.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-01-2013, 10:29 PM
I thought last week was a rerun (but apparently I still recorded it) and THIS week was the new one. The actual new one I finally saw was filled with gags (loved the Silly Simpsony intro., Letters to and Replies from Santa bags, Democrat dreams, etc.).

Bel-Cam Jos
12-09-2013, 08:36 PM
I found this one pretty funny (the YVAN EHT NIOJ comment, Skinner's "dream sequences," all the "off the list" infractions). I really thought I'd found out who this season's "dead" character would be; a knife in the back while face-down on the kitchen floor will do that sometimes.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-16-2013, 07:13 PM
That may have had the most puns of any Simpsons episode ever. I found myself listening and watching for them, and laughing frequently. Funny opening, too.

Darth Metalmute
01-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Loved the Cosmic Wars: Episode VII A new take spoof.

Secondly, that movie looked awesome!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-06-2014, 07:15 PM
This one was quite funny. I liked the Pirate flag screen wipe between scenes. Quite a few voice-over "cameo" appearances. And I LOVED the NASCAR footage inserts (and not 'cause of racin', neither).

Bel-Cam Jos
01-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Two good ones in back-to-back weeks! Comic Book Guy is given a more rounded (no pun intended) characterization for a change. Cool couch intro, too.

Darth Metalmute
01-14-2014, 03:39 PM
I could not get into that episode at all. They lost me at the Comic Book Guy song.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-27-2014, 06:57 PM
This season is turning out to be pretty good, with some decent to great storylines. Oogle Glasses, heh heh: all the characters' info sidebars were pretty funny, and I liked how the Nelson/Valentine side story turned out. Even the FOX football analysts intro was enjoyable.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-12-2014, 07:38 AM
Can't believe I forgot about this weekend's new episode: the return of Sideshow Bob (somehow, they put seemingly EVERY gag associated with his appearances over the years; like rakes to the face, a dam, singing show tunes, getting shocked, shoe tips burning, etc.). Wait until the very end for a nice touch with Ned. :(

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-12-2014, 01:38 PM
I thought that was indeed a nice and fitting touch with Ned and Edna.

Although I was surprised it came this early since I thought that I read she had her lines recorded for at least a season in advanced.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Bart and the bullies was a somewhat different take on previous stories, but the Warriors parodies were funny. If I watched Downton Abbey, I think the "Itchy & Scratchy" would've been funnier. Homer becoming old was an okay secondary plotline.

JimJamBonds
03-17-2014, 08:24 PM
Yeah it was an ok episode but nothing groundbreaking or all that funny for that matter.

Lord Malakite
03-19-2014, 07:43 PM
The May 4th episode will be done entirely with Legos.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-24-2014, 09:19 AM
A different take on the behind-the-couch-sailboat-painting. The "documentary" at the end was odd (which was, I guess, instead of the omitted couch gag at the beginning).

JediTricks
03-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Ugh, last night's episode had a very Lisa feel to it, preachy and dull. Max von Sydow was really good and I'm glad they gave him a character that wasn't his normal dark persona, but the rest of the episode was extremely lackluster.

Darth Metalmute
03-24-2014, 07:50 PM
I thought the front closet was full of sailboat paintings...

JediTricks
03-26-2014, 06:42 PM
I thought the front closet was full of sailboat paintings...They used them all up?

Bel-Cam Jos
03-31-2014, 08:48 PM
Homer doing something athletic? All the World Cup comments were pretty decent. Krusty Burger along the Amazon? Overall it was okay, but nothing super.

JediTricks
04-02-2014, 02:24 PM
I can't believe they went back to Brazil. When a show has been around so long that they have to repeat a gimmick they did once, it's time to pack it in.

The actual story was a nothing, and a lot of the jokes misfired for me.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-07-2014, 06:38 PM
The Simcraft opening was neat. For a confusing premise, the show actually was pretty good (Lisa "dates" kid-with-voice-of Zach Galafinanaticaloculus as a competitive eater [liked his first names' pronunciations], Bart gets free stuff from Snake [and we find out the criminal's full name], Homer's a bad father as a role model [? :confused: ?]).

DarthQuack
04-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Get your Red Bull and Five Hour Energy ready!!!

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/simpsons-to-launch-on-fxx-with-12-day-marathon-app-expected-to-debut-1201154816/

Bel-Cam Jos
04-14-2014, 06:21 PM
For a "future" episode, a storyline they've used fairly previously, I liked it. Not too many sight gags, just enough references. I liked the zombie motifs throughout.

Lord Malakite
04-14-2014, 09:02 PM
For a "future" episode, a storyline they've used fairly previously, I liked it. Not too many sight gags, just enough references. I liked the zombie motifs throughout.
I liked the fact that this "future" episode is connected to the previous "future" episode.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Bart and voodoo? And a rare Fat Tony appearance? Horses of a different persuasion?

Next week: Lego! :thumbsup:

Darth Metalmute
05-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Just picked up 5 basic figures from Lego to go with the house. Oddly, the Simpsons family with the house doesn't look nearly as good as the ones in the packs.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-04-2014, 10:30 PM
Next week: Lego! :thumbsup:Very good! Shall wait until others have seen it to describe it in more than generalities. Similar plot to a previous one (but that's a good thing). But there's a side story related to The Hunger Games, too.

Lord Malakite
05-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Couple of big news announcements made today regarding Simpsons. First, the season premiere for this fall will be entitled "Yellow Wedding" (a parody of the Game of Thrones episodes "Red Wedding" and "Purple Wedding"). This is the episode that will feature the "major Simpson character death" we've been hearing about for the past year or so now. Second, the first screen shots of the hour long Family Guy/Simpsons crossover episode from this fall (currently set to air in September) have been shown.

JimJamBonds
05-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Do they really need a S/FG crossover show? To quote Bart from the crossover episode with The Critic "I smell another bad tv crossover show!"

Lord Malakite
05-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Do they really need a S/FG crossover show? To quote Bart from the crossover episode with The Critic "I smell another bad tv crossover show!"
The crossover will be episodes of Family Guy, not The Simpsons if that helps any.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-13-2014, 10:51 PM
I loved the WWDTM game show from NPR reference! Rest of it was pretty decent.

JimJamBonds
05-14-2014, 07:36 PM
The crossover will be episodes of Family Guy, not The Simpsons if that helps any.
Ummm I don't think it really makes much of a difference.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-20-2014, 12:26 AM
I liked the music in the background, and the Civil War documentary style. The fake Comic-Con panel couch gag was decent.

JediTricks
05-20-2014, 03:28 PM
There will also be a Futurama/Simpsons crossover episode on The Simpsons around the same time as the TS/FG crossover. Crossover mania!

Half the latest Simpsons episodes have been watchable chiefly due to couch gags.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Half the latest Simpsons episodes have been watchable chiefly due to couch gags.Yeah, the Game of Life one the week before was good.