PDA

View Full Version : Skipping troops in hopes of a battle pack?

JON9000
01-30-2007, 11:41 AM
2007 looks to be another good year for all you loose army builders out there, but are some of you holding out on purchasing some of these troops at $7 a pop in hopes that you'll be able to pick them up in a battlepack later on?

I am getting the Felucia Battlepack because I have none of the figures yet. and, $4 (even $5 if you want to ditch the jedi) a figure seems a lot better than $7. I am considering laying off most of the troopers (okay, I might buy 1 of each) but saving my money for the inevitable "Betrayal on Mygeeto" Battlepack.

Thoughts?

Kidhuman
01-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Its not a bad idea to do so, but like you said, 1 or 2 carded to have isnt a bad move and then get the battle packs.

jedi master sal
01-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Nope, still gonna get the carded versions. Never know how ling it may take for Battle pack versions. And Hasbro may "forget" about certain scene battle packs. So instead of waiting years, I'll get what I can now and if they come along later, I'll get what else I need them.

I just wish thye'd stop sticking in a main/side character. I didn't need the Anakin from the JTA set, nor the Mace, nor the Aayla's.

You're probably right about a Mygeeto set. I'll bet it will be 1 Ki-Adi Mundi, 1 Bacara, and 3 Galactic Marines. Instead it should just be all Galactic Marines and Hasbro should rerelease Ki-Adi and Bacara on single cards or make them a two pack at the same time as the battle packs.

If they'd have done an Aayla/Bly two pack and then just put in 5 Felucia clones, I think we'd be happier about it and buy more battle packs.

Well whatever, I'm addicted to army building...So I'll do what I need to, to aquire the armies I desire, be that buy now and later, etc.

Battle Droid
01-30-2007, 12:09 PM
If they do a Battle of Mygeeto one, I'd like to see some snow covered TAC Super Battle Droids with filled in chest holes in it.

If they do a Utapau one, I'd like to see a Octuptarra Droid in it.

JON9000
01-30-2007, 01:04 PM
I just wish thye'd stop sticking in a main/side character. I didn't need the Anakin from the JTA set, nor the Mace, nor the Aayla's.

You're probably right about a Mygeeto set. I'll bet it will be 1 Ki-Adi Mundi, 1 Bacara, and 3 Galactic Marines. Instead it should just be all Galactic Marines and Hasbro should rerelease Ki-Adi and Bacara on single cards or make them a two pack at the same time as the battle packs.

But hey, I need all of those figures!!! Yeah, 3 figures isn't really worth the $20 price point, but I'm all over the Tantive IV Battlepack for 4 even though I have a ton of Vaders. Although, I am looking for a cape to put on Academy Biggs later this year... :D

Phantom-like Menace
01-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Nope, still gonna get the carded versions.

etc. . .

I agreed with every word of that post.

DarkArtist
01-30-2007, 03:42 PM
yeah i have to agree with passing on the carded could be a bad idea. while we all know Hasbro is famous for releasing and re-releasing figures in the battlepacks, two packs etc, there is no guarntee that Hasbro will re-release stuff like the Utapau Airtrooper or the Galactic Marine. I say pick up a few maybe three at least of the troopers and this if Hasbro does create a battlepack housing these figures you can still get them and have even more to add to an army build.

My only thoughts on battlepacks is this, I have no problem with them, some are really good like Mace's Squadron or the Ambush on Ilum but I just wish Hasbro would make them at least all new figures, or at least better versions then what we get. The Mace for ROTS was horrible and looked like crap compared to the Clones.

dindae
01-31-2007, 01:12 AM
I don't worry about it. At best there will be four troopers or less and a jedi / commander that I already have. And if it does happen I rarely get all that I could use of a trooper so I can always use more.

figrin bran
01-31-2007, 01:20 AM
No, i won't get my hopes up for a Betrayal on Mygeeto pack. Even if they did make it, you how much Hasbro likes to lowball us and sure they'd probably give us 2, maybe even 3 Galactic Marines but they'd throw in an AOTC or even TPM Ki-Adi instead of the ROTS one.

jedi master sal
01-31-2007, 11:30 AM
But hey, I need all of those figures!!! Yeah, 3 figures isn't really worth the $20 price point, but I'm all over the Tantive IV Battlepack for 4 even though I have a ton of Vaders. Although, I am looking for a cape to put on Academy Biggs later this year... :D

AND

No, i won't get my hopes up for a Betrayal on Mygeeto pack. Even if they did make it, you how much Hasbro likes to lowball us and sure they'd probably give us 2, maybe even 3 Galactic Marines but they'd throw in an AOTC or even TPM Ki-Adi instead of the ROTS one.

Think about it this way fellas:

We pay $7+tax for figures now anyway. So getting them carded for $7 each OR getting a battle pack for $20 when there's really only 3 figures of it we want, practically works out to be the same. Okay so you do save a little over $1(with tax) when you buy them as battle packs (barring any ones you get on clearance). Still, the NOT knowing if there will be a battle pack, makes me guy the single carded ones.

Now also, consider that the other figures couls be used for dioramas, customs, or if you don't do that, then gifts for family children, neighborhood kids, or sick kids in Chiildren's Hospital. Don't just toss the figs away. I'm keeping a box ready to go to charity that's about half full of these type figs. (Anakin from the JTA set, Mace from his set, Aayla from her set, Yoda's and Emperor's for the Skirmish set) These will make wonderful sets for kids, especially the sick/poor ones. They are the recognizable characters, so the kids know who they are and what roles they played in the movie. I don't need all of these extras for dioramas or customs, so why not let some kids benefit from it? And for free!

Trust me, it really makes you feel great when you see a kids face light up at these toys, especially when they get the fact that they are being GIVEN to them for nothing.

When I get the battle packs on sale, it's better for me yes, but it still doesn't lighten the effect of giving the extra figs to the kids.

Just give that some thought, please.

figrin bran
01-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Don't worry Sal, i've got a box of extra figures that's going to be donated to children.

JON9000
01-31-2007, 12:39 PM
We pay $7+tax for figures now anyway. So getting them carded for $7 each OR getting a battle pack for $20 when there's really only 3 figures of it we want, practically works out to be the same. Okay so you do save a little over $1(with tax) when you buy them as battle packs (barring any ones you get on clearance).

but all 5 Felucia figures... ahhh... the motherload!!! Lucky me!

When I get the battle packs on sale, it's better for me yes, but it still doesn't lighten the effect of giving the extra figs to the kids.

Just give that some thought, please.

I have a new nephew on the way, so perhaps he would be a good consumer of my figures...

Kidhuman
01-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Get one of your own john, its easier that way. I do it. :)

jedi master sal
02-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Get one of your own john, its easier that way. I do it. :)

Well there's that too...heh

Luuuuuuke
02-03-2007, 01:44 AM
Skipping on buying the carded single troopers on the hopes of them appearing in battlepacks doesn't seem like a good idea. I wouldn't bet that all of these clones will appear in battlepacks. Sure, the 501st had a good run with the KMart exclusive--but wouldn't you rather have the SA 501st that you can get with Commander Appo?

If I knew these were going to be put out in battlepacks, I'd probably skip the carded singles because it would be more economical. But I think that's far from certain to happen.

El Chuxter
02-03-2007, 11:57 AM
I think Murphy's Hasbro's Law would apply here.

If you buy a lot carded, they'll be cheaper in a BattlePack.

If you pass on them, they'll never be released in a BattlePack.

Luuuuuuke
02-03-2007, 01:05 PM
If you buy a lot carded, they'll be cheaper in a BattlePack.

If you pass on them, they'll never be released in a BattlePack.

You know, that makes total sense. Hasbro isn't stupid, they probably use the carded figures as feelers to see what they can get an extra ride on in the form of a battlepack.

Isn't the Mace battlepack the only one with a truly original clone(the Airborne?)

TheCivilCollector
02-05-2007, 11:05 PM
I never seem to see ANY troopers. I think army builers and scalpers get to them before I can find any.