PDA

View Full Version : Resculpt the Shadows of the Empire figures

Slicker
01-31-2007, 02:08 AM
Since you're making every lousy *** EU figure I want these figures again. SOTE is the ONLY EU that I like and I was thinking on it and I think I like it because it doesn't take many liberties and get ridiculously dumb like almost every other piece of EU garbage. It also ties up everything in the end so we don't wonder where the hell Dash is or where Xizor is because they're both DEAD!

The book is by far my favorite SW book (besides the 6 movie novels) and I try to read it every couple of months since it's a short, easy read.

When the line was initially released there were some GLARING overlooks in the way of figures. The ones released were: Luke in Elite Guard, Xizor, Chewie as Snoova, Dash, Swoop Trooper and bike and Leia Boussh. We also had the two 2-packs consisting of: Vader/Xizor and IG-88/Fett.

The ones that could still be made are (Tycho/Sal list to follow):

Guri
Lando in Elite Guard Gear
Leebo
Xizor in Black Leather Temptation
Koth Melan
Spero
Howzmin
Benedict Vidkun (I LOVE his name and it fits with the character)
Avaro
Basic Elite Guard

There are several others in my head but they are basically figures that have been released (i.e. Chewie out of Snoova outfit but with haircut and the like).

If they make lame *** figures like Darth "Quote the" Revan and *snickers* Baron Unterbite (WORST. NAME. EVER) then why not these ones that were in one of the best selling SW games of all time?

DarkArtist
01-31-2007, 09:22 AM
Since you're making every lousy *** EU figure I want these figures again. SOTE is the ONLY EU that I like and I was thinking on it and I think I like it because it doesn't take many liberties and get ridiculously dumb like almost every other piece of EU garbage. It also ties up everything in the end so we don't wonder where the hell Dash is or where Xizor is because they're both DEAD!

The book is by far my favorite SW book (besides the 6 movie novels) and I try to read it every couple of months since it's a short, easy read.

When the line was initially released there were some GLARING overlooks in the way of figures. The ones released were: Luke in Elite Guard, Xizor, Chewie as Snoova, Dash, Swoop Trooper and bike and Leia Boussh. We also had the two 2-packs consisting of: Vader/Xizor and IG-88/Fett.

The ones that could still be made are (Tycho/Sal list to follow):

Guri
Lando in Elite Guard Gear
Leebo
Xizor in Black Leather Temptation
Koth Melan
Spero
Howzmin
Benedict Vidkun (I LOVE his name and it fits with the character)
Avaro
Basic Elite Guard

There are several others in my head but they are basically figures that have been released (i.e. Chewie out of Snoova outfit but with haircut and the like).

If they make lame *** figures like Darth "Quote the" Revan and *snickers* Baron Unterbite (WORST. NAME. EVER) then why not these ones that were in one of the best selling SW games of all time?

Actually Slicker the Shadows of the Empire storyline had a sequel in the comics called Shadows of the Empire Evolutions in which Dash Rendar is alive and on Tatoonie.

I too would love to see these figures get a refreashed look and have some of the figures on that list see the plastic treatment. I would also add Leia in the Blue Seduction Dress, and Luke in the Yellow Vest / Jedi garb. also Jix and swoop would be a cool set to add as well, and a neutral posed Zizor.

Slicker
01-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Actually Slicker the Shadows of the Empire storyline had a sequel in the comics called Shadows of the Empire Evolutions in which Dash Rendar is alive and on Tatoonie.
I figured they'd bastardize such a good book. I remember in the SOTE game if you beat it on hard or something Dash "lives"

Actually though for this thread I was just going off of the book since they'd already done 'em.

I knew one of those swoopers had a name but I couldn't remember it for the life of me and the book was more than arms length away so it was too far.

El Chuxter
01-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Here's an idea:

Instead of resculpting Dash, we resculpt Han instead. Same character, except Han's cooler.

In fact, let's forget Dash ever existed.

DarkArtist
01-31-2007, 01:01 PM
I figured they'd bastardize such a good book.

actually slicker the comic was decent, dealt alot with Guri trying to get her memory back. dash was only seen on the last page of the final issue as Guri walks into the Cantina on Mos Eisley she sees him and I think he says something like "Hi I'm Dash." and the story ends there.

but since this list is only focusing on the book, then I would still add the figures I mentioned plus a couple of Trandosians since they do capture Luke.

Rocketboy
01-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Couldn't agree more Slick.
Shadows is tons better than anything that takes place post-Jedi.
The Shadows comic adaption, which actually wasn't a direct adaption, expanded the Shadows story and could also be fodder for figures (the only one that comes to mind right now is Big Gizz, the leader of Jabba's swoop gang that Jix joined).

JediTricks
02-01-2007, 01:24 AM
SOTE resculpts and new figures? I'm in. The figure they did for Dash with that bowl haircut and wrong outfit just didn't do the guy justice at all, and that dumb backpack was neither fun nor particularly usable. There are a lot of good ideas here, I won't restate them all, but I am certainly interested in seeing them.

Slicker
01-04-2009, 08:03 AM
I got my wish!!! Now I'm quite sure Hasbro listens to us! :thumbsup:

DarkArtist
01-04-2009, 09:50 PM
I got my wish!!! Now I'm quite sure Hasbro listens to us! :thumbsup:

now all we need is for Hasbro to tackle a couple more figures from the list and maybe even some of the SOTE Evolutions stuff as well

Slicker
01-05-2009, 04:13 AM
I'd still love to have a Guri. (they still haven't made her, right?)

DarkArtist
01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
I'd still love to have a Guri. (they still haven't made her, right?)

not as of yet but would love to see a figure of her someday. i thought i read somewhere on a Q&A from another site that she was slated for a comic pack but cannot confirm it.

i think the only SOTE stuff that was made were:

Slave 1 in SOTE packaging
the Outrider
Swoop Bike with Swoop Rider
Luke Skywalker in Coruscant Guard Disguise
Chewbacca in Snoova Disguise
Princess Leia in Boushh Disguise
Prince Xizor
Dash Rendar
Darth Vader vs Prince Xizor (deluxe 2 pack with mini comic)
Boba Fett vs IG-88 (deluxe 2-pack with mini comic)
Prince Xizor and Princess Leia (comic pack)

there was a prototype made for the Virago but it never advanced beyond the foam model stage.

neosapian77
01-14-2009, 10:21 PM
not as of yet but would love to see a figure of her someday. i thought i read somewhere on a Q&A from another site that she was slated for a comic pack but cannot confirm it.

i think the only SOTE stuff that was made were:

Slave 1 in SOTE packaging
the Outrider
Swoop Bike with Swoop Rider
Luke Skywalker in Coruscant Guard Disguise
Chewbacca in Snoova Disguise
Princess Leia in Boushh Disguise
Prince Xizor
Dash Rendar
Darth Vader vs Prince Xizor (deluxe 2 pack with mini comic)
Boba Fett vs IG-88 (deluxe 2-pack with mini comic)
Prince Xizor and Princess Leia (comic pack)

there was a prototype made for the Virago but it never advanced beyond the foam model stage.
Besides Legacy figure these EU figures should be made. We need XIZOR's ship

DarkArtist
01-15-2009, 08:50 AM
people have been wanted SOTE figures to see the spotlight again for awhile but Hasbro seems to think not. I think Hasbro should start a program where they employ a representative from each of the fan websites to collect ideas from the various posters and then submit a concept for the Hasbro team to work on. this way it will hopefully insure that there is and will be a market for the product, I mean if the fans who buy the product are asking for it then it's a good bet that the product will be sold right.

neosapian77
01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
people have been wanted SOTE figures to see the spotlight again for awhile but Hasbro seems to think not. I think Hasbro should start a program where they employ a representative from each of the fan websites to collect ideas from the various posters and then submit a concept for the Hasbro team to work on. this way it will hopefully insure that there is and will be a market for the product, I mean if the fans who buy the product are asking for it then it's a good bet that the product will be sold right.

EXACTLY! If they are worried about the kids they don't need to be. Kids buy whatever looks cool. And the collectors' opinions should come first and foremost for Hasbro becuz we r there first day buying multiple quantity's of these figures.

DarkArtist
01-15-2009, 09:04 PM
EXACTLY! If they are worried about the kids they don't need to be. Kids buy whatever looks cool. And the collectors' opinions should come first and foremost for Hasbro becuz we r there first day buying multiple quantity's of these figures.

well to be fair we do need to remember that first and foremost is that they are toys designed for kids. while i will agree that the majority of the product is bought by adult collectors....they are kids toys.

Slicker
01-16-2009, 12:28 AM
well to be fair we do need to remember that first and foremost is that they are toys designed for kids. while i will agree that the majority of the product is bought by adult collectors....they are kids toys.Kids definitely come first and foremost. I personally would have to venture that kids make up the majority of the purchases.

DarkArtist
01-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Kids definitely come first and foremost. I personally would have to venture that kids make up the majority of the purchases.

i do believe kids would make up the majority but only when there is a movie or TV show that is running current to the toy line, ie Indiana Jones comes to mind, at first i remember seeing kids all over the line when the movie was out in the theaters but now, it's mainly collectors and customizers grabbing the figures from the pegs.

i think the "adult collector" makes up a large part of the sales due to fans who want to build displays, capture their childhood and be a kid again for a few short minutes.

neosapian77
01-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Kids definitely come first and foremost. I personally would have to venture that kids make up the majority of the purchases.

Idk but what I've experienced is that most kids nowadays don't collect toys but play videogames and when I go to TRU or Target most of the ppl I see in the toy aisles are over 20.(this is just through my experience and I'm speaking for SW,Marvel Legends, GIJoe, and Transformers purchases)

And there's so many online and local comicbook or hobby stores making money solely off the collectors. There should always be a Luke Skywalker on the shelves just like a Joker Squad pack should be there too. It should be 50/50 because the collecter makes up a major part of the community

JediTricks
01-19-2009, 08:27 PM
people have been wanted SOTE figures to see the spotlight again for awhile but Hasbro seems to think not. They seem to be interested in it, from what they've said in Q&A...
Dec 19th:

SWcollector.com: The Force Unleashed game seems to have generated some renewed interest in Shadows of the Empire, because of their similar "bridging" themes. With a new comic pack already out, can we expect anything else from SOTE down the line, such as a Guri or a new Dash Rendar figure?
Hasbro: Guri and Dash are at the top of our own wish lists, having recently re-read all of the early EU comic series (Dark Empire, Heir to the Empire, Shadows) ourselves for the same reasons you suggested. We do feel very confident that we'll get to the both of them either separately or together, in the next couple of years.

neosapian77
01-19-2009, 10:20 PM
They seem to be interested in it, from what they've said in Q&A...
Dec 19th:

SWcollector.com: The Force Unleashed game seems to have generated some renewed interest in Shadows of the Empire, because of their similar "bridging" themes. With a new comic pack already out, can we expect anything else from SOTE down the line, such as a Guri or a new Dash Rendar figure?
Hasbro: Guri and Dash are at the top of our own wish lists, having recently re-read all of the early EU comic series (Dark Empire, Heir to the Empire, Shadows) ourselves for the same reasons you suggested. We do feel very confident that we'll get to the both of them either separately or together, in the next couple of years.

I really can't wait until toyfair so i can get a glimpse at some of these

Wolf
01-19-2009, 10:52 PM
From what I've read, Hasbro still stands by the fact that kids still make up the bulk of purchases for their figures.

As far as Shadows of the Empire goes, the novel, comic book series, and video game told different parts of the story, with the novel focusing on the core characters, the comic books on the bounty hunters, and the video game on dash rendar. It was in the video game played on hard mode that you got the canonical ending to SotE, in which Dash jumps into hyperspace just before the asteroid struck him. This is confirmed by his appearance in SotE Evolutions (which I haven't read).

There was another named member of the swoop gang named Spiker, who had blue skin and red eyes, and I believe the dudes who captured Luke were Barabels, not Trandoshans. I could be wrong about that though.

Despite that the figures are marketed for mass consumers (aka kids) they do have room in their assortments for "collector" figures. That's where we find all those cool figures that kids would think are too ugly to buy. The comic book 2-packs have been bringing a lot of EU characters into plastic, and I think they're planning to make a Guri + Dash pack, probably from SotE Evolutions. So don't despair!

neosapian77
01-20-2009, 06:18 PM
:thumbsup:
From what I've read, Hasbro still stands by the fact that kids still make up the bulk of purchases for their figures.

As far as Shadows of the Empire goes, the novel, comic book series, and video game told different parts of the story, with the novel focusing on the core characters, the comic books on the bounty hunters, and the video game on dash rendar. It was in the video game played on hard mode that you got the canonical ending to SotE, in which Dash jumps into hyperspace just before the asteroid struck him. This is confirmed by his appearance in SotE Evolutions (which I haven't read).

There was another named member of the swoop gang named Spiker, who had blue skin and red eyes, and I believe the dudes who captured Luke were Barabels, not Trandoshans. I could be wrong about that though.

Despite that the figures are marketed for mass consumers (aka kids) they do have room in their assortments for "collector" figures. That's where we find all those cool figures that kids would think are too ugly to buy. The comic book 2-packs have been bringing a lot of EU characters into plastic, and I think they're planning to make a Guri + Dash pack, probably from SotE Evolutions. So don't despair!

O man we definatly need a swoop gang battle pack :thumbsup:

Wolf
01-23-2009, 06:45 PM
That would be awesome. But the speederbike battle packs are usually only two speeders and two figures. Who would you pick? Dash and Luke? Big Gizz and Spiker? Jix?

Slicker
01-23-2009, 07:24 PM
From what I've read, Hasbro still stands by the fact that kids still make up the bulk of purchases for their figures.And I still believe it too. Don't get me wrong I know there are a TON of collectors but with all of the product on the shelves kids would have to be the number one buyers.

As far as Shadows of the Empire goes, the novel, comic book series, and video game told different parts of the story, with the novel focusing on the core characters, the comic books on the bounty hunters, and the video game on dash rendar. I still haven't ever read the comics. I've wanted too but I'm not even sure how many there were to even start to find 'em.

...and I believe the dudes who captured Luke were Barabels, not Trandoshans. I could be wrong about that though.[/quote]Nope, you're correct. I think her name was Skhatul or something along those lines.

Despite that the figures are marketed for mass consumers (aka kids) they do have room in their assortments for "collector" figures. That's where we find all those cool figures that kids would think are too ugly to buy. The comic book 2-packs have been bringing a lot of EU characters into plastic, and I think they're planning to make a Guri + Dash pack, probably from SotE Evolutions. So don't despair!Well, I hope they start making decent figures before I just give up and have to write off the past 10+ years of collecting (not to mention the tens of thousands of dollars) as a waste.

Jargo
01-26-2009, 12:36 PM
A proper scaled big mofo Outrider without the dumb twisting action feature would be good. I'd buy that, A new Dash and Leebo.

Slicker
01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
A new Outrider would definitely be nice to have and they could easily pack it with Leebo.

DarkArtist
01-26-2009, 07:43 PM
A proper scaled big mofo Outrider without the dumb twisting action feature would be good. I'd buy that, A new Dash and Leebo.

would love to see another Outrider redone to the scale of the BMF but will most likely never happen

A new Outrider would definitely be nice to have and they could easily pack it with Leebo.

same as above but Leebo would rock. would love to see even Hasbro give us a new SA Dash Rendar and Leebo in perhaps a comic 2 pack.

Jargo
01-26-2009, 08:45 PM
well, the outrider IS in the SE of ANH. I'd say having actual screentime puts it ahead of a lot of really silly non movie vehicles such as the Hounds Tooth which looks like a flying stapler. Plus it's Corellian like the Falcon.
Would you put your hand in your pocket for a re-issue of the BMF falcon with a smudge of dirty grey paint the only difference from the first issue. or a companion Corellian ship that was an all new sculpt sized to compliment the falcon?
I know where my cash would go.

Wolf
01-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Hasbro has a running list of large vehicles they'd want to see done in the future, but they have to slot them in somewhere. By the sounds of it, these days they're not supporting very much unless it's got media support. So we're talking Clone Wars cartoon, Force Unleashed, and the upcoming live action TV show. Any other vehicles probably will be hard pressed to make the list. They'd love to see something like Jabba's Sailbarge, but they believe that it's never gonna happen.

And to back up my claim that kids make a majority of the purchases for this toy line, I present you Yarna Dal'Gargan. Collectors have been clamoring for this figure for YEARS to complete their Jabba's Palace sets or so they can have that last figure from the original line that was never made...

...and she's warming shelves like nobody's business. I hear Xizor's jealous. There's another thread on this forum discussing this. Popular theory is collectors went out and bought her the first week or so that she was out, and once they all had her, nobody else bought any. Kids don't buy figures like that. My nephew doesn't go for figures like that, he just likes troopers and droids and jedi.

Jargo
01-26-2009, 10:50 PM
the biggest problem is that hasro is a company making kids toys but the true market for star wars toys, no matter what anyone says to the contrary, is an adult one. it's a weird situation but an inescapable one.

kids only want what's cool now. or next week. and if that happens to be frisbees or sock puppets or glow in the dark voice changing mutant alien butt face masks so be it. they don't want to be bogged down by one interest. they want everything. that and that and that one and the shiney thing and the thing the kid down the street has or the thing that's the current fad at school.

it's only adults who persist in following a collection of this kind. these little figures. for so many years. how many kids do you honestly believe could sustain an interest for that long or afford to keep up with the yearly deluge of product.