PDA

View Full Version : Worried that there are medium-sized vehicles that Hasbro will never make?

Tycho
01-31-2007, 05:15 AM
What are your fears that we'll never get:

The Corporate Alliance Tank Droid?
The Droid Army Gunship?
The Wookiee Catamaran?
The Clone Swamp Speeder?
The large homing spider droid?
Coruscant Jedi air speeders?

What else?

I can tell how much they love to repaint molds they already have to maximize their profits from the tooling - but seriously...

Those of us making Kashyyyk and Geonosis dioramas need these vehicles!

And what about the Twin Pod Cloud Car?

bigbarada
01-31-2007, 05:54 AM
I don't know what the problem is with rereleasing the Twin Pod Cloud Car. THe mold has been made, it doesn't require any electronics, a great pilot figure has been made.... :confused: It seems like a no-brainer.

All they have to do is release it once and everyone who has wanted one for the last several years will jump on it and they never have to release it again.

They can put off releasing Yareal Poof's Jedi Starfighter for a few months to give us a Cloud Car. :rolleyes:

Battle Droid
01-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Battle Droid Carrier
Grievous's Starfighter Soulless One

Kidhuman
01-31-2007, 07:13 AM
The Cloud car is a must. I have been passing on them on Ebay for awhile now. Although I came close to one last night, I found something better.

The Alliance Tank, Catamaran, Swamp Speeder and the Droid Army Gunship I would proabbly get also(at lest 2 of them from the list)

mtriv73
01-31-2007, 09:54 AM
I don't know what the problem is with rereleasing the Twin Pod Cloud Car. THe mold has been made, it doesn't require any electronics, a great pilot figure has been made.... :confused: It seems like a no-brainer.

All they have to do is release it once and everyone who has wanted one for the last several years will jump on it and they never have to release it again.

:rolleyes:

That's the problem, they'll only get one or two releases out of it. Hasbro has stated that the mold for the cloud car no longer exists, so one would have to be made from scratch. They can release the same 2 jedi starfighter molds a dozen times or the gunship several times and get a lot more mileage out of the upfront cost. Until we stop buying the rereleases and demand something new (which I don't think will happen) Hasbro has no incentive to try "riskier" new molds.

I can live without all the kashyyk vehicles. They would be nice, but I could do without them. I really want an AT-TE and a gunship/dropship that it attaches to. I know it would be terribly out of scale (what isn't) but I would buy several.

JON9000
01-31-2007, 10:20 AM
If you are all so in love with Cloud Cars, the vintage release can be had for next to nothing on Ebay. I got one and 4 vintage figures for $20 with shipping a year ago. Do you really think that a reissue would be much better than the original vintage release? I doubt it. Depressed prices on ebay for the vintage model tells me there is little real demand for it. And it has about 10 seconds of screen time.

A Firespeeder with water cannons would be about a fafillion times more fun.

The most significant mid-sized vehicle we have yet to see released is the Bongo. Making the cockpit airtight and therefore the toy submersible would make it a lot of fun. Didn't you ever take the GI Joe Hovercraft or Cobra Hydrofoil or Water Moccasin to the pool when you were a kid?

Kidhuman
01-31-2007, 10:39 AM
The basic thing about the Cloud Car is that it is just about the only vintage vehicle that hasnt seen a modern update in the new line. Thats what the big deal about it is. We get the figure for it, but he cant fly anything.

Tycho
01-31-2007, 10:49 AM
The most significant mid-sized vehicle we have yet to see released is the Bongo. Making the cockpit airtight and therefore the toy submersible would make it a lot of fun. Didn't you ever take the GI Joe Hovercraft or Cobra Hydrofoil or Water Moccasin to the pool when you were a kid?

That would be too cool! I can't believe I forgot to list this one.

I never thought about a firespeeder that squirted water, either. Good job!

Dark Marble
01-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Considering what the scale of Maul's ship will be, I guess that the ship I would like to see in a mid-sized vehicle is Dooku's Solar Sailer. The body would be small and not hard to keep at $20 but the sail might be a problem. Maybe have a pilot droid fixed into the cockpit? I know I will never see that one, but I love having vehicles for the sith.

jedi master sal
01-31-2007, 11:44 AM
I should count myself lucky that I got a loose/complete vintage cloud car for $5 about a year or two ago. A buddy of mine had a friend who just wanted to get rid of his stuff. I offered the fiver and he took me up on it. I just needed to wash it off, otherwise it's dang near perfect. I should replace the sticker though.

As far as fears we won't get these vehicles/ships, I can't say I'm "fearful." But I'm not hopeful about these. I've posted on and on about some of these. The Homing Spider droid comes to mind. Heck it's four of the same legs, with the body being basically two half spheres, just with different radar dishes. So really the only unique parts would be those radar dishes. This should have been a done deal back them. AND since the parts ARE so repetative, there should be no reason to make this a $20 item. I'd buy 5 at that price. If they sold it for $30, I'd only get three. ($10 difference, but if some people think like me, then that's a potential loss for Hasbro, so the lower pricepoint needs to be considered for that specific one.

-Sal

JON9000
01-31-2007, 03:04 PM
That would be too cool! I can't believe I forgot to list this one.

I never thought about a firespeeder that squirted water, either. Good job!

I've been pitching the Squirting Firespeeder idea for awhile, I got the idea from a GI Joe HISS tank that squirted water, some eco-warrior thing or something like that.

The Submersible Bongo is a newer idea. When I was little, plenty of figures made it to bath-time. A bongo that works in this way just makes sense from a toy perspective... it's something that would differentiate it from the entire line. If I had my way, moving it ahead through water would also make the elongated propeller spin, but that might be asking too much. Anyhoo, I would happily plunk down $30 for something like this, but it is more of a movie year toy, and the movie that featured it came out a lot of years ago now.

El Chuxter
01-31-2007, 03:09 PM
A re-released Cloud Car would, presumably, have a much better paint job than the original, which is flat orange.

If the mold doesn't exist, don't they have the capability to rather cheaply produce a new mold from an existing vehicle?

DarkArtist
01-31-2007, 03:23 PM
I would love a Twin Pod Cloud Car but I would also like to see the following:

Gungan Bongo
The Moldy Crow (EU Dark Forces)
The Moldy Crow II (EU Jedi Outcast)
Homing Spider Droid
Schimitar Assualt Bomber (EU Crimsion Empire)
TIE Crawler (EU Dark Empire)
Clone Swamp Speeder
Rickshaw with Droid

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-31-2007, 05:45 PM
As for "mid-sized" vehicles (I'm thinking $20-$45), I'd like to see:
*Gungan Bongo
*Twin Pod Cloud Car
*Tank Droid
*Droid Gunship
They've really done a great job, I think, of making the "must-have" vehicles already. Out of the four I mentioned, I really would like the first two and the others would be just gravy. There are of course other "large" vehicles I still want (AT-TE, Turbo Tank, etc.).

There are a few other vehicles from the vintage line that have not been redone. Just for reference, they are:
*Imperial Troop Transporter/Imperial Cruiser - this is so boring-looking I doubt it'll be revisited, and I wonder if anyone really wants it.
*Rebel Transport - see comments above.
*Darth Vader's Star Destroyer - I'd like to see them redo this, in a similar way to the Queen's Starship, but larger (if possible).

Jargo
01-31-2007, 07:09 PM
worried is something I don't feel when thinking about toys. There's stuff i hope they'll make and stuff i hope they don't but worry is a term i would use in relation to real world issues like nuclear threat or george bush getting another term in office.

X-wings. doing one without painted on stripes and including stickers to give it the markings for a number of pilots would seem to me to be a good option. people would still need to buy several to get a squadron but they could choose how to decorate it rather than getting a Luke x-wing for the umpteenth time. and sell it with access ladders rather than a pack in pilot. instead of the seat moving to give that tiny storage space behind it, how about changing the sculpt so it has an opening underbelly hatch? y'know as seen in ESB on Dagobah. laser scorch mark stickers would further add customisability. (is that even a real word?)

The Y-wing needs an update. retooled cockpit and better landing gear. so I would say a brand new sculpt there would be better than a re-release of the same tired one. a twin pilot cockpit would be cool. a droid slot. the nose guns lengthened. and the panel lines inverted the way they should be, grooves not ridges. Lose the silly bomb. build opening storage hatches into the fuselage. sell it with an access ladder.

I'd like a swamp speeder. it's just a cool shape and looks like it'd be fun to play with.

the attack pod walker from Kashyyk. I like the idea of it. three legs but one can fold up. and it has big guns. a turret for a sharp shooter trooper and then the cockpit which presumably would hold two figures.

The AT-OT from Felucia, dowsized presumably but even so as a troop transport I'd rather have that then a re-issue of the lame thing that came out in 1978/9. The AT-OT with eight legs, four cannon, cockpit cab, seating for troops, landing ramp. that'd be cool. in the movie it seats 32 troppers but even if it only helfd half that number and lost two legs for the sake of downsizing it'd still be cool.

one vehicle I would like which in hasbros downscaling way would probably classify as a mid sized vehicle is palpatine's ROS shuttle. with such a small dorsal fin and a smaller fuselage than the OT shuttle I think it would make an excellent addition to imperial vehicles.

Or the royal yacht Padme uses to get to Tatooine in AOTC. even with a foreshortened nose and room in the cockpit for just two figures, if chromed properly it would get me to buy it. The TPM starship I didn't like. you couldn't lift the thing and see it properly. it just sat there and the blast off panel thing was pretty poor. they just fell off if you inverted the ship. but a smaller royal yacht with retractable landing gear and all chromed would be sweet.

if they were going to go EU I'd like to see vehicles for Dengar - Punishing one, Bossk - Hounds tooth, IG-88 - IG-2000 and Zuckuss - Mist hunter. downscaled like Slave-1 naturally. I'd just like to have vehicles for these notorious bad dudes.

I could list all the landspeeders and airspeeder I want but you'd be even more bored than you are right now. suffice to say Tatooine and Coruscant yeild countless variations on a theme and more speeders would be hella cool. but god no, don't ever release anakin's AOTC airspeeder again and if you did re-release Zam Wessel's then it would have to be without the dumb crash and bash sticky rubber front forks. solid plastic please.

El Chuxter
01-31-2007, 07:20 PM
I dunno, Jargo. I worry intensely about such things. If Hasbro doesn't make a Commerce Federation Banking Ship, I might jump in front of an oncoming train.

Snowtrooper
01-31-2007, 07:43 PM
I'd like to see them make:

1. Twin Pod Cloud Car-of course
2. Speeders-Lars in particular
3. Rebel and/or Imperial Transport-Different sculpts from the vintage ones.
4. Tank Droid-Made so battle droids can ride along.
5. Pod Racers-Some of the more interesting ones anyways.
6. Anakin's Medical Capsule-I suppose that is more of an accessory.

Jargo
01-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Actually chux, I do worry you'll choke on that sarcasm. :p

Bacta Beast
01-31-2007, 09:35 PM
They can put off releasing Yareal Poof's Jedi Starfighter for a few months to give us a Cloud Car. :rolleyes:

Are they really putting out a Yareel Poof Starfighter? This is the first of heard of this.

JediTricks
02-01-2007, 02:59 AM
The mid-sized vehicles I want to see:

General Grievous' Starfighter
Corporate Alliance Tank Droid (I really think this needs to have a hidden cockpit so it can be a vehicle as well as a droid)
Homing Spider Droid (same as previous note)
Coruscant Airspeeders
Twin-pod Cloud Car
Geonosian Cannon (not a vehicle, but they really should have done this justice already)
Moldy Crow (Dark Forces - nice call DA!)
TX-130 Tank (SW:Battlefront)Larger vehicles they could do:
Gungan Sub
AT-TE
MTT
Outrider (SOTE - the original is awful awful awful and shouldn't be considered to exist)
Droid Gunship
Padme's Naboo Royal Cruiser (the flying wing at the beginning of AOTC)
Padme's Naboo Star Skiff (her ship in ROTS)And I don't care about Padme's Naboo Royal Yacht which she takes to Tatooine and then Geonosis, but I suppose you guys might. No way Tycho's idea to make a single ship out of all those 3 is possible though.

The mold not existing for the Cloud Car is sort of a good thing, the original is hollow and boring and has nothing going on except the landing feet, it doesn't hold figures all that well as they just rattle around inside an empty cockpit, the canopy hinges are nigh-worthless, and it'd be hopelessly outclassed by modern vehicle quality. They need to redo it with a little interior details, a better seat, a cockpit that opens better, and electronic lights & sounds in the blah midsection.

A re-released Cloud Car would, presumably, have a much better paint job than the original, which is flat orange.This is too true, the original's deco is pretty sad really but some weathering paint wash and dry-brushing should do it a lot of charm.

If the mold doesn't exist, don't they have the capability to rather cheaply produce a new mold from an existing vehicle?Stereoscopic lithography or laser scanning are both possible, the latter being expensive and the former being not quite perfect. They could also pull negative molds from the original pieces and then cast a piece from those negatives, then make a solid tooling from that but the item would lose some of its line quality. And none of that is perfect, someone will have to be paid to do any of that and then a toolmaker will have to go in and fix it up, all those man-hours might cost more than just redesigning it from the ground up.

Tycho
02-01-2007, 03:19 AM
I like firing missles. I always thought they could retool a twin pod cloud car to shoot one missle from each outer side, similar to how the Geonosian fighter works (but better engineered).

This would make it more fun for kids and people with low-brow sophistocation like myself :lipsrsealed:

As to Padme's crafts: sculpt a silver-molded body, have holes to plug extrenal parts on to its side, front, and tail. Include facade parts to add to make whatever ship you're creating to plug those holes, or add the front wings for Padme's ROTS ship.

Her AOTC ship will be tremendously under-scale, but so what? These are toys and I'm looking to have the line "completed," not have everything to scale or we should have boycotted the AT-AT and Millennium Falcon.

JediTricks
02-01-2007, 03:34 AM
I forgot another large ship they absolutely must redo, start from scratch:

Millennium Falcon (NOW DAMNIT!!!)

I like firing missles. I always thought they could retool a twin pod cloud car to shoot one missle from each outer side, similar to how the Geonosian fighter works (but better engineered).

This would make it more fun for kids and people with low-brow sophistocation like myself :lipsrsealed: You even spelled sophistication wrong. :p

I wouldn't be against missiles if they could get them to seat all the way down, look inconspicuous, not fire accidentally, and not take up space for more deserving gimmicks - but they rarely can. On the Cloud Car, they may HAVE to put them into there just to keep it interesting, but they'll take up precious cockpit space. I'd prefer they went with the lights & sounds instead of dopey missiles, the engine pod is already unused and the vehicle in the movie only has a few sounds and the engine light going for it anyway.

As to Padme's crafts: sculpt a silver-molded body, have holes to plug extrenal parts on to its side, front, and tail. Include facade parts to add to make whatever ship you're creating to plug those holes, or add the front wings for Padme's ROTS ship.

Her AOTC ship will be tremendously under-scale, but so what? These are toys and I'm looking to have the line "completed," not have everything to scale or we should have boycotted the AT-AT and Millennium Falcon.These aren't generic LEGO-style shapes, all 3 vehicles are shaped very differently from each other, you can't just bolt silver wings onto a rocketship and expect it to look like these movie vehicles, they're too dissimilar - in fact, the only thing they really have in common is that they're silver.

Tycho
02-01-2007, 09:29 AM
I was thinking two ships, JT. The flying wing from the beginning of AOTC is way too big.

The ships I had in mind were the obvious choice from ROTS and the star yacht that Padme took to Tatooine and Geonosis.

El Chuxter
02-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Isn't a Cloud Car with a slight loss of quality preferable to none at all?

dindae
02-01-2007, 01:23 PM
I still have my old vintage cloud car so I'm not desperate for one. There are plenty of vehicle I would love to see in the $20 price range and none of those are jedi starfighters.

joe-da
02-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Isn't a Cloud Car with a slight loss of quality preferable to none at all?

Not if you're in it, way up in the air.

dindae
02-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Not if you're in it, way up in the air.

If I'm up in the air I would rather be in a crappy ship then no ship at all. :D

joe-da
02-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Or a healthy aiwha?

Speaking of which, they're not vehicles exactly, but I'm worried we won't get an aiwha or an orray - or a nos monster.

JediTricks
02-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Crap, I forgot to mention another "medium vehicle" that isn't a vehicle that we need:

- Jedi Starfighter Hyperspace Ring (we get 10,000 JSF repaints but no ring?!?)

I was thinking two ships, JT. The flying wing from the beginning of AOTC is way too big.But it's the best one, it's the only one I want.

The ships I had in mind were the obvious choice from ROTS and the star yacht that Padme took to Tatooine and Geonosis.They don't look at all alike though:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/nabooyacht/index.html
http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/naboostarskiff/index.html
Bolting wings onto the Yacht won't change the swept shapes on the Skiff for example. But at least these have more in common than with the Naboo Royal Cruiser, too bad that's the only good one.

Isn't a Cloud Car with a slight loss of quality preferable to none at all?Not in my mind. A boring vehicle that's barely featured in 1 film for all of a minute or so isn't going to really grab customers by itself, if it seems like it's gonna languish on shelves Hasbro won't bother.

jedi master sal
02-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Crap, I forgot to mention another "medium vehicle" that isn't a vehicle that we need:
Jedi Starfighter Hyperspace Ring (we get 10,000 JSF repaints but no ring?!?)

I hear ya brother. AND the thing is, with a little ingenuity, they could even make the one pair and three pair engine rings from the same mold. Just have teh extra two pair "snap" into place. Heck they could recolor these things like made too, to conincide with each release of the JSF's. Oooh, I'd like to see an almost all blach with grey and hints of red Hyperspace ring for Vader's Sith starfighter.

But at the least we need the two movie ones.

Old Fossil
02-02-2007, 08:43 AM
A decent desert sport skiff is in order. The last release was, what, five or six years ago? A new skiff would complement the releases of Barada and the Sarlacc Battle Pack in the past year.

Tycho
02-02-2007, 12:00 PM
JT, I finally had time to draw you what I mean for my plans for Padme's ships.

The only feature on the fuselage would be a top opening cockpit that seats 2 or 4 figures (hopefully 4):

Padme, C-3PO, (AOTC Anakin or ROTS Obi-Wan) and R2D2 (having a place to stand). If it were slightly bigger, Obi-Wan could hide in a secret compartment.

The other selling feature of the ship as a TOY would be that by reconfiguring it, you get 2 ships out of 1 (or even up to 4 possible combinations - two not from any movie obviously).

For diorama builders and loose collectors - Hasbro would likely sell 2 of these to each buyer for each movie vehicle respectively. It's sort of the only way to make these ships exciting and increase their sales.

Here's my very quick drawing:

JEDIpartner
02-02-2007, 01:53 PM
That's the problem, they'll only get one or two releases out of it. Hasbro has stated that the mold for the cloud car no longer exists, so one would have to be made from scratch.

I was going to say, they did mention that it was lost or damaged when they addressed this in an open forum a couple years ago.