PDA

View Full Version : 10th Anniv. of ANH: SE

Rocketboy
01-31-2007, 10:40 PM
Yep, back on January 31, 1997, Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope Special Edition was released.

Good times, those were.
:thumbsup:

Is anyone else suddenly hungry for Taco Bell?

bobafrett
01-31-2007, 10:52 PM
I was delighted after standing in line to get my advance tickets, I dropped by Taco Bell, and saw the wonderful prizes they had. I was so sick of Taco Bell by the time they were done.

JediTricks
02-01-2007, 02:22 AM
Wow, 10 years ago! I remember the days leading up to it, those were wild times, getting advance tickets and hanging out watching the unaltered films. I was the first person in line for the second showing at the Mann Chinese Theater in Hollywood, got interviewed on the news while standing there - I felt kind of like a doofus as I sorta seized up, but I did get a few "these are modern mythos" comments out before I went down in flames. :p

A few weeks before, I had recently joined the SW Fan Club and unexpectedly received in the mail 2 tickets to the Mann Westwood premiere (the one with Lucas and all the stars, the red carpet one), because I was new they didn't get them to me until the day of the event though. I so badly wanted to go and see it 3 weeks early and see all the stars, I finally got down there but it was too late, I had missed it all by a few hours. I still have the tix though.

jonthejedi
02-01-2007, 04:06 AM
One thing that still bugs me when watching Ep. IV(especially SE)...is that maestro John Williams needs to add a snippet of Vader's theme(Imperial March) just as he enters the Tantive IV corridor, for that musical continuity with the other saga films.

Rogue II
02-01-2007, 09:53 AM
I waited a couple weeks after the opening to go see it. On Valentine's Day, the girl I was dating and I went to the movies and she picked ANH:SE. A couple months later, she chose to see Jurassic Park 2 on her birthday. I married her anyway, but I still can't believe I paid to see Jurassic Park 2.

JimJamBonds
02-01-2007, 11:23 AM
I was the first person in line for the second showing at the Mann Chinese Theater in Hollywood....

I was the first person in line for the midnight release of Metallica's S&M album.

Slicker
02-01-2007, 12:35 PM
I was the first person in line for the midnight release of Metallica's S&M album.You poor thing.:(

I remember seeing the SE movies in theaters. I only got to see 'em like once or twice apiece in theaters (compared to TPM's over 20 in theaters viewings) but it was worth it.

I just wish he'd re-re-release 'em again.

El Chuxter
02-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Greedo: Shooting first for ten years!

:crazed:

mtriv73
02-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Wow, I was in my last semester of college. I can't believe it's been 10 years already.

CaptainSolo1138
02-01-2007, 06:45 PM
got interviewed on the news while standing thereSomeone look it up on YouTube.:p

I still find it hard to believe that my 11th grade astronomy class had seeing ANH approved as a class field trip by the school.

El Chuxter
02-01-2007, 07:00 PM
11th Grade in 1997?

Dang, yer a whippersnapper.

CaptainSolo1138
02-01-2007, 08:58 PM
11th Grade in 1997?

Dang, yer a whippersnapper.27 = whippersnapper?

I felt like the world was crashing down when I hit 25!

Kidhuman
02-01-2007, 09:04 PM
I went to the midnight showing on release date. IT was great to see it on the big screen and enjoy it. I didnt like the changes though.

tagmac
02-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Wow....has it been 10 years already????!!

I remember that week. My friends and I were planning to see it at the brand new Lowes theater that had just opened up. First time on the big screen for me since I was a kid at the local drive-in. Stupidly (and for the last time with a big movie), we figured we'd get tickets early that day for an evening showing. Then I'm reading an article in the college newspaper that said that every show had sold out for opening night. Until then, I never knew you could buy tickets for a show days in advance (perhaps it was a new concept at that point - I don't know). As soon as class let out, I drove right over to the theater, which was only 5 minutes away. Sure enough, every show was sold out, except for the midnight show!

First time I'd ever caught a movie at midnight, but it was worth it for this! We got to the theater about an hour early. The line was long, and it started raining, but we didn't care. And what an experience it was! This was the dawn of the stadium seating, and it was awesome! I ended up seeing ANH two more times before the release ended, even though I'd seen it more times than I could count, just for the experience of it all. Can't wait for the 3-D versions just to see it on the big screen once again.

JediTricks
02-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I was the first person in line for the midnight release of Metallica's S&M album.Wow, and I thought I had wasted my life, but you win! :p

Someone look it up on YouTube.:p
Yeah, good luck wit dat.

I still find it hard to believe that my 11th grade astronomy class had seeing ANH approved as a class field trip by the school.NIIIIICE!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
02-01-2007, 10:13 PM
I was the first person in line for the second showing at the Mann Chinese Theater in Hollywood, got interviewed on the news while standing there - I felt kind of like a doofus as I sorta seized up, but I did get a few "these are modern mythos" comments out before I went down in flames. :p

I still have the tix though.I, too, was a "first in line" person, and made it in the news. My friend and I were mentioned on the front page of the local section of the San Bernardino Sun newspaper, where they misquoted him about SW Underoos. I started keeping all my SW movie tickets from that film on, as well.

Ten years. Scary.

El Chuxter
02-01-2007, 10:15 PM
I got in the night before it opened because I had friends who worked at the theater. :beard:

bigbarada
02-02-2007, 01:51 PM
I was in the Army stationed in Bosnia, so I missed it (and the ESB:SE) completely. :cry:

I caught the very last showing of ROTJ:SE a couple days after we got back stateside in May. I didn't get to see the other two Special Editions until they were released on VHS.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Damn, ten years, and it seems like yesterday. I remember that we went mainly because it had been my parents' first date back in 1977, and I knew next to nothing about SW before that (I did have the Cloud City magnet toy from Taco Bell, though). Quite obviously it was a life-changing event, seeing it for the first time.

I LOVED the Taco Bell stuff, to me at the time it was mind-blowing. :D

(For the record, I was in first grade back then.)

bobafrett
02-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Damn, ten years, and it seems like yesterday. I remember that we went mainly because it had been my parents' first date back in 1977, and I knew next to nothing about SW before that (I did have the Cloud City magnet toy from Taco Bell, though). Quite obviously it was a life-changing event, seeing it for the first time.

I LOVED the Taco Bell stuff, to me at the time it was mind-blowing. :D

So your parents knew of the power of the force? That is cool. Do either of them have any collectibles that they have passed onto you?

CaptainSolo1138
02-03-2007, 08:49 AM
1st Grade in 1997?

Dang, yer a whippersnapper.

:p

El Chuxter
02-03-2007, 10:48 AM
No, he's an omega-whippersnapper.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Here's a pic of my friend and I waiting to see the movie. Now that's an age I've not been for a long time, a long time. No, I'm not dead yet. I'm me!

bobafrett
02-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Here's a pic of my friend and I waiting to see the movie. Now that's an age I've not been for a long time, a long time. No, I'm not dead yet. I'm me!

What a couple of geeks! J/K! That's about what I looked like when I went to see it. Well, except for the tie that is. I went to see it alone, and never thought to bring a camera with.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-03-2007, 05:31 PM
So your parents knew of the power of the force? That is cool. Do either of them have any collectibles that they have passed onto you?
Unfortunately, they didn't buy any collectibles back then; they liked it but were not as into it as I am (and constant exposure to it due to me has caused them to like it more than they did on their own).

Jargo
02-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Here's a pic of my friend and I waiting to see the movie. Now that's an age I've not been for a long time, a long time. No, I'm not dead yet. I'm me!Look at the size of that hat! :cross-eye

2-1B
02-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Happy Birthday crappy looking CGI Jabba and Sy Snootles !

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Happy Birthday crappy looking CGI Jabba and Sy Snootles !
That Jabba died when he was about seven. :cry: He was then replaced by a much-better-but-still-not-quite-perfect version of himself.

DarthQuack
02-04-2007, 01:55 PM
I can still remember going to these....not sure if I sneaked out of school or not, but I remember when Jedi came out we had a blizzard and couldn't go, and I was so upset.....esp since the Theater Luke came out, but I didn't know about it back then, until about a week later.

El Chuxter
02-05-2007, 10:26 AM
What's kinda funny is that AC Crispin explained in the Han Solo novels why Jabba looked different in ANH (they reach a certain point in their maturity, and double in size, also becoming much nastier). But then Lucas fixed him again, so that explanation doesn't work anymore.

mabudonicus
02-05-2007, 12:02 PM
two things come to mind for me- one is that I'd had a REALLY bad surgery the day vefore the damn film came out, on my tummy, and I could hardly even walk, but I made it there with some help- the painkillers didn't take much away from it but I still recall having some sense of a few scenes being a tad wonky (which got more and more clear the more times I saw the film- to this day I still can't actually make out the Ronto's faces, they just look like blurry crap, almost like they had a mosaic over them to hide their identitites)

Second was that Theatre Luke (which I now can't recall what film it was at, but seeing as I had Leia Boussh disguise on me, I'm guessing it was ANH)
DAMMIT I got to see the film at the first showing, which was a matinee, and somehow the Theatre Luke was being given out ONLY for the first "official" showing at 7, and I'll never forget walking out of there and seeing EVERYONE in line holding a SW figure- I asked someone and they said thy'd been given if free for being First to See the Film, but I was walking OUT of the damn movie and I didn't have no figure...

Didn't bug me much (I saw the fig and thought it was just off-the-shelf) til I saw how damn dear them things got...

:beard:Isobaws&

Slicker
02-05-2007, 12:06 PM
The Theater Luke was given out during ROTJ.

I still don't have one of those bad boys.

DarkArtist
02-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Wow, I forgot that the SE was already 10. I remember seeing it opening night at the Cineplex in Menlo Park and being one of only 20 people in the theater. All of us stood up and clapped and screamed when those famous words " A Long Time Ago....in a Galaxy Far..Far Away..." appeared on the screen. Ah Memories.

Was ****ed that I missed ESB since I was either sick or always busy and caught ROTJ the last night it was showing. Was able to get the Theater Luke but gave it to my cousin since he didn't have a Luke Jedi figure yet.

JediTricks
02-07-2007, 05:19 PM
They got extra Theater Lukes at the Chinese Theater, they gave 'em out to the charity preview night audience and that night there were action figure cards and bubbles everywhere - they had OPENED them!!! When I went to the actual opening day, we went for 2 shows and they still didn't give us one, holding them for the 7pm show - that was total bullcrap, they had already pushed the window back a week, I had already missed out on the ANH and ESB freebies (a comic and the Galoob micro-micro machine 3pack), I wasn't going to miss Luke. Ultimately, I paid for a 3rd show and bribed an employee $20 to get me one, he let me take it out of the case so it was minty mint, and I still have it.

tagmac
02-09-2007, 12:27 PM
The best part of those Jedi Lukes was hearing about all the scalpers and hoarders literally crying because little kids refused to sell them theirs, and proceeded to open them up instead! :razz:

DarkArtist
02-09-2007, 02:47 PM
The best part of those Jedi Lukes was hearing about all the scalpers and hoarders literally crying because little kids refused to sell them theirs, and proceeded to open them up instead! :razz:

I remember taking my cousin (at the time he was 7), to see ROTJ and watching his face as the ticket person handed him the Luke figure. not even 5 minutes after we were in the theater someone offered him $50 to buy the Luke figure. My cousin turned around and said "If you have $50 bucks go buy your own." and then stuck his tongue out and gave the guy that rasberry sound. I just sat there and laughed. To this day he still has the Luke.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-10-2007, 10:25 AM
I never even knew they were available at the ROJ showings, but I don't think the theater I saw it at distributed any (either due to hoarding or never having them at all). I bought one for around $35 (still among my most expensive figure purchases ever) from the Star Force Collectibles shop in San Diego (RIP :cry: ).

BTW, did anyone attempt the Trilogy Trifecta back then? Seeing all three movies in a row? The only way I could do it was to see ANH and ESB at one theater, then drive 5-8 miles away to the one showing ROJ (can you believe a 30-plex didn't have all of them there? :confused: Wha-?! Huh?! ). All I had eaten after breakfast was soda and popcorn... :o * . * * * * * * * :D

JediTricks
02-10-2007, 03:27 PM
None of the theaters in my area had even 2 at a time playing, Lucas made special arrangements that only 1 theater in any area would have the films so when ESB came in, ANH went out. I think a buddy and me watched the THX videotapes the night before ANH though.

Rocketboy
02-21-2007, 08:29 PM
And today is the 10th Anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-22-2007, 01:47 PM
And today is the 10th Anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition.And was anyone else as disappointed in the limited changes, compared to ANH, as I was? :( But it was still awesome to see it back on the big screen again!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-22-2007, 03:02 PM
It doesn't get its own thread? :cry:

I remember at ESB, shortly after Luke got his hand cut off, my sister loudly asked, "Where's Luke's hand?" This was right about the time Vader was telling Luke something or other. :D

JediTricks
02-22-2007, 05:24 PM
And was anyone else as disappointed in the limited changes, compared to ANH, as I was? :( But it was still awesome to see it back on the big screen again!
Initially I was, but when I saw the obscene changes to ROTJ that came off totally arbitrary, I reversed my opinion on the SEs in general.

ESB's worst SE addition: Luke screaming as he falls down the core of Cloud City

Rocketboy
02-22-2007, 09:05 PM
ESB's worst SE addition: Luke screaming as he falls down the core of Cloud CityWhich thankfully no longer exists.

JediTricks
02-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Yeah, but the DVD version has other atrocities in its place.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Yeah, but the DVD version has other atrocities in its place.
Boy oh boy, do I hate the reversed rank badges at the end. :p

tagmac
02-26-2007, 11:19 AM
And was anyone else as disappointed in the limited changes, compared to ANH, as I was? :( But it was still awesome to see it back on the big screen again!

Not at all. Empire was the film that needed the least amount of changes anyway. The wampa was something I think many of us wanted to see more of, and the changes in Cloud city were not bad. Only disappointment would be that they didn't put back the other scene where Threepio rips off the label, along with the rest of the wampa subplot, but it wasn't nearly as upsetting as the lack of the sandstorm scene in Jedi.

JediTricks
02-26-2007, 04:38 PM
IMO, if the wampa didn't look so different from the original and didn't look like it was shot in someone's closet, that might have worked. The slight changes to the AT-AT battle aren't necessary (the issues they fixed never bothered me anyway) but do mostly add to the content. The Cloud City exteriors feel too CGI and need to be redone, I like the concepts but A) they waste too much time showing off; and B) it's a little over the top. Oh, and C) the Falcon looks all wrong in some shots, like it's 2-dimensional. Vader's new scene replacing "bring me my shuttle" neither bothers me nor feels necessary, it slows the pacing down but I don't actually care.

JEDIpartner
02-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I remember standing in line for "Evita" and then seeing this the following weekend after the hype died down. :love:

Rocketboy
03-14-2007, 11:25 PM
And yesterday (or today for some of you kids, depending on your time zone) was the 10th anniversary for Return of the Jedi (and the "Theater Edition Luke").

2-1B
03-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Ah yes, with the March 7th date printed on the card. :p

Wow, I'm looking at a pic on my wall that I took with my mom after I returned home from the dorms after seeing ROTJ on opening night...amazing that this particular picture is exactly 10 years old. :eek: I'll never forget that night because we had really bad black ice on the Interstate and I fishtailed about a mile straight non stop, thinking the whole time I was going in the ditch. Anyway, I was 18 in that pic, YIKES ! :crazed:

The new Sy Snootles sucked. But I liked Rappertunie.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-15-2007, 10:56 PM
This was the only one of the OT I saw twice - I spent the night at a friend's house and we went to see both ROTJ and the Power Rangers Turbo movie (guess which one I liked more :p ), and then I went to see it with the family. This one was my favorite for a long while.

2-1B
03-16-2007, 01:03 PM
You might want to keep that Turbo Rangers comment to yourself...or were you really talking about the Spider-Man movie ? :confused:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-16-2007, 06:14 PM
You might want to keep that Turbo Rangers comment to yourself...or were you really talking about the Spider-Man movie ? :confused:
What? I was seven at the time, give me a break. :D

(And I was referring to liking ROTJ more . . .)

General_Grievous
03-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet.

I remember the Special Editions being my first full-blown Star Wars experience. I remember I saw the ANH SE about two weeks after it opened, as my mom wanted to wait until the crowds died down. The theater was still packed regardless. For whatever reason, I remember the Death Star trench run the most out of that theater experience. That was amazing on the big screen. I saw the Empire SE on its opening weekend with my mom and dad. I was amazed that people were standing up and clapping when Darth Vader revealed that he was Luke's father. The whole fandom thing was relatively new to me. I remember the Jedi SE bitterly, as there was this stupid toddler sitting behind me translating everything that any Ewok said onscreen. But I do remember liking the CGI Jabba's Band sequence. Today, I really wish they had kept the original scene. In the eyes of a rational adult, "Jedi Rocks" is awful. But that aside, the Special Editions were some of the best times I've ever had at the movies, along with Revenge of the Sith and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I hope they release the OT in theaters again sometime soon. I'd love to see it on the big screen again.