PDA

View Full Version : Boston fears flat LED cartoon character may be bombs

JediTricks
02-01-2007, 02:39 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATHF#Boston_Magnetic_Light_Scare

I saw the news about the situation this morning by the time it was all over, the police chief calling it "a hoax, and not funny". Basically, to advertise the upcoming (unfunny, from all reports) Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie, Adult Swim hired a PR company to do some guerrilla advertising. The PR company had some signs made up and hung them in a few places around 10 cities across the nation about 3 weeks ago, including in Boston.

The signs are FLAT circuit boards, about 1.5' by 1', with 4 D-cell batteries to power a bunch of super-bright LEDs soldered onto the front in the shape of either of the show's mooninite characters - Err or Ignignot - in the "Adult Swim is #1" pose that also happens to be them flipping the bird (but since they have no fingers the rest of the time, it's not technically the "middle finger").

The signs lit up at night brightly for over 2 weeks until someone in Boston this morning noticed one and somehow got it in their head that it was a bomb, and then they found more and more of these and thought it was a huge bomb conspiracy. Now, where were the explosives on something that was flat, powered by 6 volts, and looked extremely similar to a Lite-Brite toy? Apparently those were not questions the Boston police department took upon themselves, seeing in their heads visions of some mad plot straight out of the pages of Batman and claiming 9/11 was happening all over again. Naturally the BPD shut down a large portion of the city. Over a Lite-brite. Giving an obscene gesture.

The most dangerous aspect of these signs being the offense taken if one figures out that Err and Ignignot are not gesturing that Adult Swim is #1.

As soon as the Adult Swim guys heard about the situation, they called the authorities and explained it, told them where the others were and how they posed absolutely no danger. Turner Broadcasting issued an official apology and ordered the PR company to take the remaining ones down. But that apparently isn't enough for the city of Boston, they've arrested the PR company employee who hung them around town claiming he intentionally placed hoax devices intended to incite panic in the public, and the mayor is fuming over this and threatening to sue Turner Broadcasting for the money spent sending their police and bomb squad all over town over this.

Let me close by pointing out yet again that this thing looks nothing like a bomb from anything I can see (I've attached photos of it while it's turned off and while it's on). Also, let me point out that these had been set up in those locations for weeks already, not just in Boston, but also in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Austin, San Francisco, and Philadelphia. So Boston thinks they have another 9/11 on their hands while NEW YORK CITY - home of the actualSeptember 11th - didn't show a worry about these for 2 weeks!!! I'm sorry, but city of Boston, your officials have to be the stupidest, most overreacting morons ever and apparently haven't read the fable of The Sky is Falling - please go out, purchase copies, and pelt your leaders with them mercilessly!

Deoxyribonucleic
02-01-2007, 02:47 AM
This is the best story I've heard in a LONG time! :thumbsup: I dunno, I certainly think they COULD be bombs! :yes: Oh yes, Oh yes

FOOLS!

JediTricks
02-01-2007, 06:08 AM
Yeah, nothing entertains like the truth, apparently. :p

It's a good thing Boston city officials weren't listening to Orson Welles' radio broadcast of War of the Worlds, or Grover's Mill would be overrun with the local constabulary fearing for their very existences as they prepare to battle meteor ships, Martian death walkers, and the aliens' fantastical heat rays!

2-1B
02-01-2007, 06:09 AM
Boston is dumb, they didn't deserve that tea anyway.

El Chuxter
02-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm a bit conflicted about this.

A) It's pretty stupid to leave electronics in various crowded places without clearly marking what they are and what they're for.

B) What idiot could mistake these for bombs?

C) Having seen one that obviously shows a Moononite, do you mean to tell me that a lot of people saw these things, and no one said, "Uh, dude, that's a Moononite"?

And Boston is not dumb, Caesar. Remember what famous band hails from there. And not the one actually called Boston, though they're cool, too.

Just the authorities there are dumb.

Jargo
02-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Like anyone cares enough to bomb boston anyway.

Slicker
02-01-2007, 01:16 PM
This just goes to show how ignorant people are. It's clearly not a damn bomb. Although the show IS tha bomb...

Very, very, very, very bad joke aside I agree with Chux. You're telling me that in a city of over 500,000 people that no one that was "investigating" these things couldn't have said "yeah, those are mooninites". It's America. I'm sure the people that found 'em wanted there 15 minutes on CNN.:rolleyes:

JetsAndHeels
02-01-2007, 01:41 PM
The real bomb can be found in Gilette Stadium.

The Patriots suck.

LTBasker
02-01-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm going to pretend that the person who called in was misunderstood by police, they weren't reporting a bomb, the person was reporting that they were in fact, the bomb.

Jargo
02-01-2007, 02:09 PM
ok so the authorities have to take it seriously, investigate all claims and sightings. but seriously, bombs don't tend to be hung up with flashing lights and drawing attention to themselves. they tend to be hidden under cars, in bags, left in elevators, under tables in bars, under seats on public transport, strapped to the chest of some gullible young person....

Typical of a city council totally embarassed to pass the buck though. but having said that the PR company should have given notice they were hanging signs surely? Don't you need some sort of permit to hang advertisement signage?

Deoxyribonucleic
02-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Now thanks to the person who thought they were bombs, the boston authorities and the press, the seed has been planted and people can now put bombs in the open looking like moononite or other fanciful, shiny lighting and electronics and we'll walk right by them...

Slicker
02-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I was just thinking. This whole bomb scare is getting them TONS more advertising then they would ever have gotten if things went normally.

Now all of the major news outlets are reporting it and every forum that I've gone to today has had a thread about it. Smart move if you ask me.:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
02-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I commented to Mrs Chuxter last night that I definitely wanted to see the little text dealios they do between shows on Sunday.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-01-2007, 03:40 PM
saw these two pics online and had to share them today:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/whitebrowgigs/neverforget.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/whitebrowgigs/boston.jpg

First one is my favorite. :crazed:

QLD
02-01-2007, 03:44 PM
I laughed my *** off when I saw this. Even though the ad campaign is a bust, this is the best publicity they could hope for.

El Chuxter
02-01-2007, 03:47 PM
He's flipping you off as hard as he can.

Man, I love the Moononites.

decadentdave
02-01-2007, 04:17 PM
ROTFLMAO! The mayor wants to "throw the book" at Turner with 5 years imprisonment. Talk about over-reacting! It's obvious that he's just ****ed off
about his own stupid ignorance and the fact that his "highly trained" police and demolitions experts can't tell the difference between a pipe-bomb and an
animated illuminated cartoon box. Idiots! lol

Slicker
02-01-2007, 04:47 PM
I was watching CNN today and they showed that first picture that JMG showed but they had quite possibly the WORST mosaic over it. They placed it there almost like they wanted you to see but they had to do the mosaic just appease everyone.

Dominic Guglieme
02-01-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm a bit conflicted about this.

A) It's pretty stupid to leave electronics in various crowded places without clearly marking what they are and what they're for.

B) What idiot could mistake these for bombs?

C) Having seen one that obviously shows a Moononite, do you mean to tell me that a lot of people saw these things, and no one said, "Uh, dude, that's a Moononite"?

And Boston is not dumb, Caesar. Remember what famous band hails from there. And not the one actually called Boston, though they're cool, too.

Just the authorities there are dumb.

You and JT do not know the half of dumb.

These things were apparently sitting around for a while before anyone noticed them. Of course, the placement was badly planned. I know the area pretty well. And, most people at (for example) Sullivan Square are not going to look up. They are reading a newspaper, or listening to an ipod. Looking at graffitti on the structure of Route 93 is not a popular past-time.

Between the fact that it is an ad compaign for ATHF, and it cost the city/state so much money (that we *really* cannot afford), I want to see CN pay for it all. There is statutory basis for this, and hopefully, the city will win.

On the other hand, Boston, and Massachusetts did not perform very well. After tying down a train-line, and blockading several major roads on a weekday morning, and determining the object in question was not a bomb, it should not have taken several more shut-downs (across several rail-lines in and around the city) to settle things.

I cannot help but wonder where that blustering North End grease-rat Thomas Menino was hiding during this. I recall reading that in '01, he was hiding in a fortified room in city hall, and refused to come out, despite pleas from advisors to calm the city. He then squandered a tremendous amount of public money to build a second fortified bolt-hole, for his use.

Remember, 2 of the '01 planes took off from Boston. And, I could tell you horror stories about fuel yards in the area. (I live between several of them.)

And, finally, yes, I am sure anyone who wants to plant a bomb in Boston did draw a lesson from this. On the other hand, there are plenty of imbeciles who leave bags and what-not unattended on the train, or in parks, that a trouble-maker would likely not have to work to hard.

CaptainSolo1138
02-01-2007, 07:29 PM
What I don't understand is how Turner and Cartoon Network can POSSIBLY be named in the lawsuit. I thought that Katie Couric was joking. Seriously, WTF?!?!?!?

El Chuxter
02-01-2007, 07:31 PM
It's a conspiracy to bring down Master Shake.

InsaneJediGirl
02-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Next comes the banning of all LiteBrights in order to protect America.

Slicker
02-01-2007, 10:27 PM
What I don't understand is how Turner and Cartoon Network can POSSIBLY be named in the lawsuit. Because that's where the money is, DUH!!!

What POSSIBLE charges can they really get these two guys on that they arrested? They were just doing a job and someone many someones overreacted in a big way.

LusiferSam
02-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Next comes the banning of all LiteBrights in order to protect America.

Oh my god! I love that idea! Who'll join me at noon tomorrow and burn their Lite-Brites, a beloved childhood toy by many, in order to protect America? Hasbro will be made to pay to the kind of damage the toy can bring.

Droid
02-02-2007, 09:40 AM
From http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/01/boston.bombscare/index.html

CHARLESTOWN, Massachusetts (CNN) -- Two men pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges they created panic by placing electronic light boards that caused a bomb scare Wednesday in Boston.

The boards depicted a cartoon character making an obscene gesture at passing motorists.

Assistant Attorney General John Grossman called the light boards "bomb-like" devices and said that if they had been explosive they could have damaged transportation infrastructure in the city. (Watch what authorities, suspects have to say about the case Video)

Asked by the judge to describe what the figure on the light box was doing, Grossman said, "Colloquially, he was flipping the bird, your honor."

Judge Paul K. Leary told Grossman that, according to law, the suspects must intend to create a panic to be charged with placing hoax devices. (Watch a Web video of men placing the light boards on structures around Boston Video)

It appears the suspects had no such intent, the judge said, but the question should be discussed in a later hearing.

Peter Berdovsky and Sean Stevens were released on $2,500 bail, said Mike Rich, their attorney. The next pretrial hearing is scheduled for March 7.

Both men were cooperative with authorities, and neither has a previous criminal record in Massachusetts, Grossman said.

At a news conference after the hearing, Stevens and Berdovsky stepped to the microphones and said they were taking questions only about 1970s hairstyles.

When a reporter accused them of not taking the situation seriously, Stevens responded, "We're taking it very seriously." Asked another question about the case, Stevens reiterated they were answering questions only about hair and accused the reporter of not taking him and Berdovsky seriously.

Reporters did not relent and as they continued, Berdovsky disregarded their queries, saying, "That's not a hair question. I'm sorry." (Watch suspects avoid answering reporters' questions Video)
Their attorney said the two were putting on a "performance," and noted that he had told them not to discuss the case.

On Wednesday, Boston authorities shut down bridges and a stretch of the Charles River. The scares sparked criticism of Turner Broadcasting System Inc., the parent company of CNN, because the cartoon moon men were part of a guerrilla marketing campaign to promote the late-night Adult Swim cartoon "Aqua Teen Hunger Force." (Watch how the scare unfolded Video)

The moon men, or Mooninites, as they're known to the show's faithful, are delinquent outer-space men who make frequent appearances on the program. Photographs of the devices show several tiny lightbulbs protruding from a circuit board that houses wiring and at least four batteries.

Berdovsky, 27, a freelance video artist from Arlington, Massachusetts, and Stevens, 28, face charges of placing a hoax device in a way that results in panic, as well as one count of disorderly conduct, said Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley. The hoax charge is a felony, she said.

According to his Web site, Berdovsky is a graduate of the Massachusetts College of Art who goes by the nickname "Zebbler." Berdovsky, a Belarusian, has a green card and is seeking asylum in the United States, Rich said.
Devices for sale on eBay

As of Thursday afternoon, at least four of the devices were being sold on the online auction site eBay -- two from Boston, one from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and one from Atlanta, Georgia, the owners said.

The top bid so far was $625.

Rich said the company that hired the two to install the devices told them where to put them -- under bridges and overpasses -- so people in cars would see them.

A Web site, www.zebbler.com, features a video of people assembling the moon men light boards and driving around Boston installing them on buildings and other structures. Turner Broadcasting has said a third-party New York advertising firm, Interference Inc., conducted the campaign, and the Web video's introduction states, "The Interference Information Network takes on the ATHF," referring to "Aqua Teen Hunger Force."

Interference Inc. had no comment on the incident.
Mayor calls stunt "outrageous"

Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis called the stunt "unconscionable," while Boston Mayor Thomas Menino called it "outrageous" and the product of "corporate greed." Democratic Rep. Ed Markey, a Boston-area congressman, added, "It would be hard to dream up a more appalling publicity stunt."

Phil Kent, TBS's chairman and CEO, issued an apology to the city and said in a statement that police were notified as soon as Turner realized the marketing campaign was mistaken for something sinister.

"We also directed the third-party marketing firm who posted the advertisements to take them down immediately," Kent said in a statement. (Read the full statement)

But while Menino and Coakley called the apology inadequate, others disregarded Boston's response as much ado about nothing.

Twenty-two-year-old Todd Venderlin, a design student at the Parsons School of Design in New York City, saw one of the devices two weeks ago as he left a lounge in south Boston, according to The Boston Globe. He said he was stunned when he saw bomb squads removing them.

"It's so not threatening -- it's a Lite-Brite," he told the newspaper, referring to the children's toy that allows its users to create pictures by placing translucent pegs into an opaque board. "I don't understand how they could be terrified. I would if it was a bunch of circuits blinking, but it wasn't."
Devices in place for weeks

Turner said the devices have been in place for two or three weeks in Boston; New York City; Los Angeles, California; Chicago, Illinois; Atlanta, Georgia; Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon; Austin, Texas; San Francisco, California; and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

However, only in Boston did the light boards create such a furor. In Seattle and several suburbs, the signs were removed without fuss, according to The Associated Press.

"We haven't had any calls to 911 regarding this," Seattle police spokesman Sean Whitcomb told AP on Wednesday.

Police in Philadelphia told AP that authorities had confiscated 56 of the devices. In New York, a street was shut down for 45 minutes after two of the devices were found on an overpass, the New York Post reported. In all, 41 of the devices were found in the city, according to the newspaper.

In Portland, police Sgt. Brian Schmautz said officers had no plans to remove any of the signs, so long as they weren't on municipal property. Nor had officers been dispatched in any kind of bomb scare related to the devices.

"At this point we wouldn't even begin an investigation, because there's no reason to believe a crime has occurred," Schmautz said.

In Boston, however, state, local and federal authorities on Wednesday shut down the Boston University and Longfellow bridges, and blocked maritime traffic from the Charles River into Boston Harbor. Bomb squads scrambled throughout the city and its suburbs, snarling traffic and mass transit in the city.

Coakley and Menino did not rule out the possibility of criminal charges, or a civil suit to recoup what they say is the hundreds of thousands of dollars the city spent to respond to the bomb scares.

Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority spokesman Joe Pesaturo said the legal department is sending Turner a letter asking the company to reimburse the city for all costs incurred during the incident, but the authority had no plans to unilaterally file a lawsuit.

Coakley, who said she didn't learn of the devices until Turner sent a fax to City Hall about 5 p.m. Wednesday, said Turner did not provide the locations of the devices. Officials believe there were 38 light boards placed around Boston, some on private property, she said. As of Thursday morning, 15 had been recovered, Boston police spokesman Eddie Chrispin said.

"It had a very sinister appearance," Coakley told reporters. "It had a battery behind it, and wires."

Asked whether Massachusetts authorities have the jurisdiction to arrest people out of state, Coakley said she believed they would if the offenses took place in Massachusetts. Turner Broadcasting's headquarters is in Atlanta.

Adult Swim shares channel space with Cartoon Network, another Turner enterprise. The Cartoon Network broadcasts during the day and is aimed at a younger audience. At night, Adult Swim takes over the airwaves with its more mature programming.

CNN's Dan Lothian, Fran Fifis and Deborah Feyerick contributed to this report.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I was watching CNN today and they showed that first picture that JMG showed but they had quite possibly the WORST mosaic over it. They placed it there almost like they wanted you to see but they had to do the mosaic just appease everyone.

Dude, seriously! I sw that on MSNBC.COM. I need to get a screencap of that. it was HYSTERICAL.

CaptainSolo1138
02-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Here's a link (http://collegehumor.com/video:1739538) to the "press conference" they held. Freakin' awesome. :bandit:

JEDIpartner
02-02-2007, 02:09 PM
I know I'd make bombs that lit up and flashed to call attention to themselves if I were a terrorist. :rolleyes:

Nice to see they could act quickly in Boston but too bad their brains really weren't engaged on the obvious. Good going!!!

Dominic Guglieme
02-02-2007, 03:14 PM
The exhibition those idiots from CN put on for the reporters knocks out any sympathy I had for them. A simple "no comment right now" would have been fine.

The statutory basis for the charges would be a combination of tresspassing, littering, and a specific (wording escapes me at the moment) restriction on causing a public hazard by creating the impression of terrorism. If you look at it as akin to screaming "fire" in a crowded movie house, you will be pretty close.

Say what you will about Coakley, but she is better than that SOB Reilly (may his career stay in the ground), who got into office with various dubious wins in court.

CaptainSolo1138
02-02-2007, 04:19 PM
The picture below is of the scoreboard that hangs above center ice/court in Boston's Fleet Center. It contains batteries and electronic wiring, the same as the pictures the "terrorists" put up did. What makes this any less a threat? A better question would be what makes pictures from a cartoon any more of a threat than this?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Uh oh, looks like Bin Laden has the right weapons now.....:thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-04-2007, 03:21 AM
A) It's pretty stupid to leave electronics in various crowded places without clearly marking what they are and what they're for.I suppose, but they are light-up Mooninites which kind of speaks for itself. If you took a walk around a city neighborhood, you'd see red light cameras and those devices in the streets tied to the bottom of fire plugs and stuff which seem to be counting cars but who really knows what the hell they're doing, all sorts of electronical stuff that you're not really sure of.

B) What idiot could mistake these for bombs?Apparently, the Boston PD Bomb Squad. But yeah, I too want to know the answer to that.

C) Having seen one that obviously shows a Moononite, do you mean to tell me that a lot of people saw these things, and no one said, "Uh, dude, that's a Moononite"?They did, for weeks even, but not in the police force apparently.

And Boston is not dumb, Caesar. Remember what famous band hails from there. And not the one actually called Boston, though they're cool, too.You mean Aerosmith? They're not technically FROM Boston, they just decided when they got together that that would be the band's home city.

ok so the authorities have to take it seriously, investigate all claims and sightings. but seriously, bombs don't tend to be hung up with flashing lights and drawing attention to themselves. they tend to be hidden under cars, in bags, left in elevators, under tables in bars, under seats on public transport, strapped to the chest of some gullible young person....So true, bombs don't generally light up and say "look at me, take me down before I can do whatever I'm planning to do!!!" But I guess the city of Boston is so clueless about these things that it didn't matter.

Typical of a city council totally embarassed to pass the buck though. but having said that the PR company should have given notice they were hanging signs surely? Don't you need some sort of permit to hang advertisement signage?Well, if they had gotten permits, it wouldn't have been guerrilla marketing, but yeah, they're technically supposed to. Then again, lots of big companies have products put out pasted bill advertisements; and these could be argued that they're not technically advertisements as they don't say anything directly about a corporate product, and they could be argued that way that they are free speech (the ones put out on public property, the ones on private property is a different matter).

Now thanks to the person who thought they were bombs, the boston authorities and the press, the seed has been planted and people can now put bombs in the open looking like moononite or other fanciful, shiny lighting and electronics and we'll walk right by them...That is so true, in all seriousness Boston's unfathomable overreaction to the situation and then continuing to blow it out of proportion in the media shows the terrorists what they can do next. Moreover, Boston's ridiculous response to this tells the terrorists that they're winning - they see that kind of mass hysteria, brought on by the government no less, and they see it as a victory, they don't even have to attack anymore, they use the possibility of terror to let the people terrorize themselves, so the Boston PD proved their strategy is working.

I was just thinking. This whole bomb scare is getting them TONS more advertising then they would ever have gotten if things went normally.The movie's still going to tank and suck I bet, but even if it makes $25k it'll probably be a profit. :p

Yeah, I commented to Mrs Chuxter last night that I definitely wanted to see the little text dealios they do between shows on Sunday.The black & white bumps? At the opening of the block, they had an apology 4 screens long, but I didn't see any other mention later on. Personally, I think they should tell the city officials to stick it, but I suppose that'd be bad for business.

saw these two pics online and had to share them today:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/whitebrowgigs/neverforget.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/whitebrowgigs/boston.jpg

First one is my favorite. :crazed:Mine too! That's a keeper! :D

I laughed my *** off when I saw this. Even though the ad campaign is a bust, this is the best publicity they could hope for.Come to think of it, the city's reaction is something I'd expect from Master Shake. :p

ROTFLMAO! The mayor wants to "throw the book" at Turner with 5 years imprisonment. Talk about over-reacting! It's obvious that he's just ****ed off
about his own stupid ignorance and the fact that his "highly trained" police and demolitions experts can't tell the difference between a pipe-bomb and an
animated illuminated cartoon box. Idiots! lolThey really are fuming, more than just embarrassment I'd guess. Maybe the mayor can use settlement money to hire someone to train the bomb squad to tell the difference between a flashlight and suitcase nuke.

I was watching CNN today and they showed that first picture that JMG showed but they had quite possibly the WORST mosaic over it. They placed it there almost like they wanted you to see but they had to do the mosaic just appease everyone.Well, the media sure lapped this stuff up when it first was going down, so it's no surprise they're trying to cover their butts now. I love how once they're told it's the "flipping the bird" gesture it's obscene, as if 2 lines meeting perpendicularly was actually obscene (or a gesture).

These things were apparently sitting around for a while before anyone noticed them. Of course, the placement was badly planned. I know the area pretty well. And, most people at (for example) Sullivan Square are not going to look up. They are reading a newspaper, or listening to an ipod. Looking at graffitti on the structure of Route 93 is not a popular past-time.That tells me your city's graffiti artists aren't doing a good enough job. :p

Between the fact that it is an ad compaign for ATHF, and it cost the city/state so much money (that we *really* cannot afford), I want to see CN pay for it all. There is statutory basis for this, and hopefully, the city will win.What cost the city so much money was their own incompetent reactions, in my mind that makes them almost wholly culpable in all this and they should pay for their stupidity with their jobs. At the very least, the city officials should apologize to all the Bostonians they terrified with their foolish behavior and promise to train the police better.

I cannot help but wonder where that blustering North End grease-rat Thomas Menino was hiding during this. I recall reading that in '01, he was hiding in a fortified room in city hall, and refused to come out, despite pleas from advisors to calm the city. He then squandered a tremendous amount of public money to build a second fortified bolt-hole, for his use.Heh heh, covering his own ***, I'd expect nothing less from this idiot after the way he's behaved over this. My favorite is this little nugget: http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=180378&format=&page=1

Yesterday, Menino promised ... to petition the FCC to pull the network’s license. ... Just after three p.m., two bomb-sniffing dogs swept through City Hall, spending 16 minutes in Menino’s office. “It is outrageous, in a post 9/11 world, that a company would use this irresponsible marketing scheme,” Menino said.Yeah, I'm sure the taxpayers really needed you to spend 16 minutes of their money searching your stupid office. And dumbass! Cartoon Network is not a broadcast station, it doesn't have a broadcast license that can be revoked, it's on privately-served closed-circuit cable and satellite systems only. I should expect no less ignorance from an official who believes the point of this exercise was to suggest they were bombs when even to the average lay-person they clearly aren't.

It's a conspiracy to bring down Master Shake.Well, then perhaps it was worth it after all, he's an awful person. :D

Next comes the banning of all LiteBrights in order to protect America.Don't forget confiscating all Etch-a-Sketch toys as items used to copy classified documents.

What POSSIBLE charges can they really get these two guys on that they arrested? They were just doing a job and someone many someones overreacted in a big way.For some reason, the city officials are convinced that the crux of this guerrilla ad campaign was not to get people to look at lit-up versions of the 2 mooninite characters but to scare them into thinking they were the world's flattest bombs. The mayor is convinced Turner's idea was to scare people with these images, and demanded charges based on that. The city of Boston recently enacted a law saying any person who creates a hoax or hoax device intended to spread panic is committing a crime and had the 2 guys who put them up in Boston charged. The judge who heard this all but shot that down at the bail hearing though because he saw no such intent.

Oh my god! I love that idea! Who'll join me at noon tomorrow and burn their Lite-Brites, a beloved childhood toy by many, in order to protect America? Hasbro will be made to pay to the kind of damage the toy can bring.Play-doh also looks suspiciously like plastic explosive, that toy should be banned as well for the good of our citizens. We could make protest signs and chant "Play-doh should make Hasbro pay-dough!"

Droid, thanks for posting that CNN article, I meant to but lost it. I love how Mass's Assistant Attorney General John Grossman comes off as such a doofus there, he also said at their arraignment "It’s clear the intent was to get attention by causing fear and unrest that there was a bomb in that location" even though it was so obviously not the case that even the judge had to disagree.

Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis called the stunt "unconscionable," while Boston Mayor Thomas Menino called it "outrageous" and the product of "corporate greed." Democratic Rep. Ed Markey, a Boston-area congressman, added, "It would be hard to dream up a more appalling publicity stunt."I agree with all that, except the "corporate greed" part. The only problem with what they're all saying is that the publicity stunt was on the city officials' part, not Turner Broadcasting's!

In Portland, police Sgt. Brian Schmautz said officers had no plans to remove any of the signs, so long as they weren't on municipal property. Nor had officers been dispatched in any kind of bomb scare related to the devices. "At this point we wouldn't even begin an investigation, because there's no reason to believe a crime has occurred," Schmautz said.AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That and New York not freaking out are my favorite parts of that, making Boston officials look even more like reactionary idiots.

"It had a very sinister appearance," Coakley told reporters. "It had a battery behind it, and wires."Nice to see the state's Attorney General has such a keen grasp on what makes something look like a bomb. Watch out traffic signals, gas meters, clocks, pacemakers, discarded electronics of any nature, cars, building sites, cash registers, radios, antennas, building security alarms, telephone company junction boxes, neon window signs, laptops, electronic parking meters, old mobile phones, etc., your days of terrorizing Bostonians are numbered thanks to diligent government officials like these!

Here's a link (http://collegehumor.com/video:1739538) to the "press conference" they held. Freakin' awesome. :bandit:That was kind of dumb and disrespectful of them, but then again the city of Boston has treated them in kind and the media did their part in fueling the situation. lol

The exhibition those idiots from CN put on for the reporters knocks out any sympathy I had for them. A simple "no comment right now" would have been fine.1) They're not from Cartoon Network, these guys were hired by an independent advertising agency for the campaign. 2) The lawyer started with a "no comment" but the media demanded more and more, I think the media earned the slap in the face they got there.

a specific (wording escapes me at the moment) restriction on causing a public hazard by creating the impression of terrorism. If you look at it as akin to screaming "fire" in a crowded movie house, you will be pretty close.That's the main one, but the entire point is about intent to create public fear and unless Bostonians were afraid Err and Ignignot were going to harass them, I don't see how there's any claim of intent - they did not look like bombs at all (bombs also don't use D-cell batteries since they're extremely large compared to their low voltage because they're meant to last a long time, bombs generally not needing to last a long time). The question is whether they intended to make them look like bombs and thus scare people - obviously the answer is no, the item looks nothing like a bomb, the items behave nothing like a bomb, the items have been up for weeks not just in Boston but 9 other large US cities as well without other significant incident. The worst they can be charged realistically is putting up advertising signage without the proper permits, and even that could be fought if they really wanted to.

Tycho
02-04-2007, 04:52 AM
I love that video of the suspects' interview about hairstyles of the 1970's!

If I could get myself arrested and interviewed like that, I have so much original source material about False-Truths and Mouse Droids that I could go on for much, much longer!

It would be a great experiment to see how long you could distract and not cooperate with the media, while keeping them around you!

JediTricks
02-04-2007, 05:27 AM
I love that video of the suspects' interview about hairstyles of the 1970's!

If I could get myself arrested and interviewed like that, I have so much original source material about False-Truths and Mouse Droids that I could go on for much, much longer!

It would be a great experiment to see how long you could distract and not cooperate with the media, while keeping them around you!
My favorite part is that the news actually continued to carry it for several minutes, I guess praying they'd actually say something germane and give them that precious soundbite.

2-1B
02-04-2007, 11:40 AM

Not really, it's more of an adopted home...News York and Hampshire are probably more accurate when it comes to roots. lol

Tycho
02-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Bon Jovi is from New Jersey.

El Chuxter
02-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Yeesh, if you guys want to get technical about it. They do call themselves the Boys from Boston, though. Would someone as cool as Steven Tyler claim a totally worthless city?

Though, in fairness, when they came up with that name, it probably was due to the low price of cocaine and heroin at the time.

CaptainSolo1138
02-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Turner agreed to pay the city of Boston $2 million for this joke.

Un-f**kin'-believable.

Slicker
02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
For what joke? I thought this was an ad campaign that went wrong because of human ignorance?

Slicker
02-05-2007, 01:30 PM
I guess praying they'd actually say something germane and give them that precious soundbite.The goddamn Germans ain't got nothing to do with this!!!!

CaptainSolo1138
02-05-2007, 01:35 PM
For what joke? I thought this was an ad campaign that went wrong because of human ignorance?
What I meant was the "joke" of it going so damn far.

Dominic Guglieme
02-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Heh heh, covering his own ***, I'd expect nothing less from this idiot after the way he's behaved over this. My favorite is this little nugget: http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=180378&format=&page=1
Yesterday, Menino promised ... to petition the FCC to pull the network’s license. ... Just after three p.m., two bomb-sniffing dogs swept through City Hall, spending 16 minutes in Menino’s office. “It is outrageous, in a post 9/11 world, that a company would use this irresponsible marketing scheme,” Menino said.Yeah, I'm sure the taxpayers really needed you to spend 16 minutes of their money searching your stupid office. And dumbass! Cartoon Network is not a broadcast station, it doesn't have a broadcast license that can be revoked, it's on privately-served closed-circuit cable and satellite systems only. I should expect no less ignorance from an official who believes the point of this exercise was to suggest they were bombs when even to the average lay-person they clearly aren't.

Well, then perhaps it was worth it after all, he's an awful person. :D

Menino is an imbecile. Plain and simple. I was not kidding when I said he spent much of the day on 9/11/01 hiding under his desk.

But, he plays to the stupidest voters in Boston, (may with last names ending in audible vowels), and this is what the city gets.

His stunt with the dogs is a key example of how he and other officials are using this as a publicity stunt.

I stand corrected about who the promoters worked for. Either way though, they could (and should) also be hit with contempt of court charges for their behavior towards the prosecutor.

I do not care than they gave the press a bit of a drubbing. But, their demeanor in general makes me want to see them suffer a bit.

darthvyn
02-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Now all of the major news outlets are reporting it and every forum that I've gone to today has had a thread about it. Smart move if you ask me.:thumbsup:

i guarantee it was not on ONE forum you visited... i think... (i gotta go check that...)

i love the quote in the article on page 2 here, "if they had been explosive" - that's a great backtrack all-purpose answer...

"i'm sorry we shot and killed your little puppy, dear, but if he had been explosive..."

bigbarada
02-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Is that actually an Adult Swim character? :confused: Wow, it's a good thing I dont' watch that show.

I think the person who called in the "bomb threat" might have been a part of the ad campaign. If you're trying to sell tickets to a movie based on a cartoon that only 10 people watch, then you need every desperate marketing ploy you can get.

It's a terrible idea regardless and a bad advertisement, because it never tells you exactly what it's advertising.

mtriv73
02-06-2007, 02:30 PM
I just heard on DC101 that Turner Broadcasting and the publicity agency have been slapped with a $2 million fine. :shocked: Of course, with the publicity this has generated for them, it might be money well spent.

JEDIpartner
02-06-2007, 02:40 PM
The picture below is of the scoreboard that hangs above center ice/court in Boston's Fleet Center. It contains batteries and electronic wiring, the same as the pictures the "terrorists" put up did. What makes this any less a threat? A better question would be what makes pictures from a cartoon any more of a threat than this?

I think it's a BIGGER threat 'cos if that monster falls on someone-- it would really hurt! :shocked:

CaptainSolo1138
02-06-2007, 09:18 PM
I think it's a BIGGER threat 'cos if that monster falls on someone-- it would really hurt! :shocked:Touche....

JediTricks
02-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Turner agreed to pay the city of Boston $2 million for this joke.

Un-f**kin'-believable.Yeah, I found that to be really sad, Turner should have pointed to Portland where the cops say it hasn't even broken any laws and they have no reason to take them down or investigate them instead of giving the city the original mil plus a bonus mil as hush money. That's going to offset whatever new revenues they get from ATHF out of all this.

My favorite quote from a public official about all this is from Seattle's area sheriff spokesman: "In this day and age, whenever anything remotely suspicious shows up, people get concerned - and that's good. However, people don't need to be concerned about this. These are cartoon characters giving the finger."

I stand corrected about who the promoters worked for. Either way though, they could (and should) also be hit with contempt of court charges for their behavior towards the prosecutor. 1) What behavior towards the prosecutor? 2) We all should have contempt for prosecutors like that who waste the courts' time which is the publics time.

But, he plays to the stupidest voters in Boston, (may with last names ending in audible vowels), and this is what the city gets.
I do not care than they gave the press a bit of a drubbing. But, their demeanor in general makes me want to see them suffer a bit.Hmm, playing to the emotions of manipulative Bostonians makes him a bad guy and the city a dupe, but then look at how you are responding to the guys' demeanor the same way, you're just as easily manipulated. Hell, if nothing else, I'd say their performance art just made some real statement right there. :p If they have real belief in their art, they should go to the pokey for it.

I think the person who called in the "bomb threat" might have been a part of the ad campaign. If you're trying to sell tickets to a movie based on a cartoon that only 10 people watch, then you need every desperate marketing ploy you can get.

It's a terrible idea regardless and a bad advertisement, because it never tells you exactly what it's advertising.A guy saw something he didn't recognize attached to a support of an elevated highway, he found a cop for the transit authority, the transit cop called the Boston PD bomb squad requesting assistance to identify the device, and the bomb squad mobbed the scene and brought in ambulances and fire, rescue, and with that the media's attention. The bomb squad apparently saw that it had electrical tape, batteries, wires, and a circuit board and because those are ingredients in an IED they assumed it was a bomb and blew it up - even though that description is so vague it could describe any number of devices, and the one in question did not actually look like a bomb except by checklist (like if you went through a checklist of a human - water, carbon, osmotic filtering - ergo, it must be a Britta water filter). Anyway, once the media reports started flowing that the bomb squad was looking for these devices, folks started noticing them around town and calling them in - if the media told you a parking meter at 5th and main was a bomb when it flashed "fail", you'd probably get a lot of calls about suspicious busted parking meters from all over the city even though nobody reports broken parking meters the rest of the time.

Would someone as cool as Steven Tyler claim a totally worthless city?Steven Tyler, you mean the guy who opened for Britney Spears at Super Bowl 35's halftime? :upset: All my respect for them went right down the toilet after that, and since they've done all sorts of commercial junk, but at least they released Honkin' on Bobo which wasn't sell-out material.

Tycho
02-07-2007, 08:59 PM
When you mentioned Tyler, I thought of Tyler Durden and WWTD? :D

2-1B
02-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Steven Tyler, you mean the guy who opened for Britney Spears at Super Bowl 35's halftime? :upset: All my respect for them went right down the toilet after that, and since they've done all sorts of commercial junk, but at least they released Honkin' on Bobo which wasn't sell-out material.

Actually, they sold out many live shows on that Bobo tour. lol

And he sang duet with Brit.

El Chuxter
02-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Steven Tyler, you mean the guy who opened for Britney Spears at Super Bowl 35's halftime? :upset:

And, yet, you don't seem to mind when Stevie Wonder sings with a bunch of Muppets.

:p

pbarnard
02-09-2007, 03:30 PM
No story posted yet, but the banner at cnn.com says the head of Cartoon Network has resigned.

Tycho
02-09-2007, 04:21 PM
No story posted yet, but the banner at cnn.com says the head of Cartoon Network has resigned.

Is he negotiating with al-Qaeda to pick up his contract? Or has Hamas or Hezbollah outbid them?

JediTricks
02-09-2007, 11:53 PM
And, yet, you don't seem to mind when Stevie Wonder sings with a bunch of Muppets.:pWell, I judge mainly by talent. :D

(There are no muppets in that sesame street Stevie Wonder video.)

Yup, the head of Cartoon Network resigned, fell on his sword - that sucks, he did nothing wrong.

Rocketboy
02-10-2007, 12:00 AM
You know, I'd actually consider watching 24 if it were more like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUaQVZHzyI&eurl=http://vynsane.com/forum/).

Tycho
02-10-2007, 12:21 AM
That was funny Rocketboy. I may have to start watching 24 afterall. I think it looks alright. I've never seen an episode but I think Kiefer Sutherland is a good actor.

2-1B
02-10-2007, 01:05 PM
I kinda agree with bigB actually...I always thought this show looked stupid and after this goofy (and definitely stupid) advertising campaign, I find the concept of it even more annoying.

So I will just go ahead and boycott both Boston and ATHF.

JediTricks
02-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Yeah, the show is stupid, and obnoxious, it has a few laughs but is basically junk food TV... literally. :p

The video is a funny concept, but for some reason I can't find the concentration to watch a 3 minute youtube about it.

Slicker
02-10-2007, 06:04 PM
I guess it must be a younger person thing guys because I love ATHF. It's the most pointless show on CN yet I laugh all the damn time. Carl is by far my fav because of his white-trashedness.

JediTricks
02-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Like I said, it's junk food comedy. I think the younger you are and more you were raised with the internet (the internet is a breeding ground for quick-fix fast food-like humor) the more you can hang in with the unbearably stupid stuff like fake leprechauns with a rainbow machine mugging people in the park. :p It also helps if you're either tired or inebriated.

Slicker
02-10-2007, 06:45 PM
I think the younger you are and more you were raised with the internet (the internet is a breeding ground for quick-fix fast food-like humor) the more you can hang in with the unbearably stupid stuff like fake leprechauns with a rainbow machine mugging people in the park. :p It also helps if you're either tired or inebriated.I'll definitely go with tired and inebriated part as I've only had the internet for 2 years or so. I just like it's stupidity. It's almost a release from the ridiculousness of the rest of television.

El Chuxter
02-11-2007, 09:29 PM
JT, I'm like one month younger (or is it older?) than you, and this show consistently makes me laugh myself silly.

I've always enjoyed stupid humor. Bet you never could've guessed.

JediTricks
02-13-2007, 04:04 PM
JT, I'm like one month younger (or is it older?) than you, and this show consistently makes me laugh myself silly.

I've always enjoyed stupid humor. Bet you never could've guessed.
So which are you, tired or inebriated? ;)