PDA

View Full Version : Why is Planet of the Apes on History Channel right now?

El Chuxter
02-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Okay, I realize that stations are getting further and further from what their names suggest (Dumb and Dumber has been on Cartoon Network, and when was the last time MTV or VH1 played a video?), but this is ridiculous.

I've seen them play movies that are historically-based, or even historical fiction, and seen no problem with it.

But this? Yeah, it's one of the best movies ever made, and when I saw it on the guide I turned there just to see if I could catch Taylor's line, "Get yer stinkin' paws off a-me, you damn dirty ape!" (Turns out I only had to wait five minutes!) But what could possibly be the justification for showing a great sci-fi parable on the History Channel?

I mean, this movie has nothing to do with Hitler. It should be on Discovery.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-04-2007, 12:26 AM
DUDE! I was going through HIS today on my guide seeing if there was anything I wanted to DVR and I saw that and thought the EXACT same thing. I don't get it!! A channel that shows the evolving of apes!?!!?!?? YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!! :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

Rocketboy
02-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Wow, Cappy called me earlier to ask me the same damn thing.

My answer: It happened during WWII. Auschwitz just gets all the attention. Hitler was sneaky like that.

El Chuxter
02-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Must be. If it's History Channel, there's some connection to Nazi Germany somewhere. If you got all your knowledge of the past from that channel, you'd think nothing else ever happened in the 10,000 years of human civilization.

Except for, apparently, astronauts crashing on that crazy planet of the apes. Wait a second. Statue of Liberty? That was Earth! Damn you! You had to go and blow it up, didn't you!! Damn you all to hell!

Slicker
02-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Right before that came on there was a show about "The Real King Kong". Apparently there's some monster ape in the woods.

Crazy schtuff.

El Chuxter
02-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Okay, now that you mention it, I do recall seeing something about that. I think it was about Gigantopithecus, though, which would be several million years ago. (Again, technically out of the historical record. But maybe Hitler once commented that it would be cool to have an army of them, or something.)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Right before that came on there was a show about "The Real King Kong". Apparently there's some monster ape in the woods.

Crazy schtuff.

heheh, thanks for reminding me. I recorded that and need to watch it. Maybe tomorrow morning. :thumbsup:

Slicker
02-04-2007, 01:05 AM
I watched like 2 minutes of it and all I saw was a poor re-enactment...even by HIstory Channel standards it was bad.

JimJamBonds
02-04-2007, 01:20 AM
They've been having a bunch of ape shows on the last few days. In the past they have had movies on and historians have commented on how acurate they are... but POTA? My no know.

2-1B
02-04-2007, 11:42 AM
I hope they play George A. Romero's Monkey Shines next week.

DarthQuack
02-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Duh....it's cause that's what the earth was like 30 years ago, lots of Apes riding around on horses, and our statue of liberty came from some beach.

Ji'dai
02-04-2007, 08:55 PM
I thought it might be corporate synergy at first, but different companies own History Channel and HBO. Peter Jackson's King Kong debuted on HBO Saturday night so History Channel was offering their own ape movie. I ended up switching over and watched the last part of POTA. Nothing like that rusted wreck of Lady Liberty jutting out of the beach to end a film.

I was also surprised to see the special editions of SW & ESB on HBO this weekend. TPM and ROTS have been on the schedule lately too, but I haven't seen the OT films pop up like that in a long time.

LusiferSam
02-05-2007, 12:48 PM
I watched this on the History Channel that other night too. And also found it be on odd chose of movie for them. The Simpsons however have totally corrupted my mind. When ever Dr. Zaius was on the screen all I could think about was the Dr. Zaius song from the Simpsons musical version.

CaptainSolo1138
02-05-2007, 01:31 PM
(Again, technically out of the historical record. But maybe Hitler once commented that it would be cool to have an army of them, or something.)You're wrong. It was Stalin. (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1543814/posts).(After I read that comment I remembered hearing something about this recently. How cool would Russia have been?! You just know they'd have feasted on Yakov Smirnoff ["In Soviet Russia, monkey eat you!"])

darthvyn
02-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Okay, I realize that stations are getting further and further from what their names suggest (Dumb and Dumber has been on Cartoon Network, and when was the last time MTV or VH1 played a video?), but this is ridiculous.

I've seen them play movies that are historically-based, or even historical fiction, and seen no problem with it.

Duh....it's cause that's what the earth was like 30 years ago, lots of Apes riding around on horses, and our statue of liberty came from some beach.

you've got it all wrong - it's the history of the FUTURE! they're trying to warn us of the perils we face many years from now. i say thank you, history channel, for showing us the future so that we might change it.

Ji'dai
02-06-2007, 01:53 PM
They aired Patriot Games this morning. I hope this doesn't become the norm. I'd rather watch the same documentaries over and over than movies.

JimJamBonds
02-07-2007, 01:07 AM
You're wrong. It was Stalin. (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1543814/posts).

WOW!!!!!!!!