PDA

View Full Version : Prince at Half-Time

El Chuxter
02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
...that Prince covered the Foo Fighters during the Super Bowl halftime show?

First, the Foo Fighters would probably be a bigger "draw" than Prince.

Second, I suppose this proves he was a liar when he said about ten years ago that he only listened to his own music and would continue to do so. Else how would he have been exposed to "Best of You"?

Rogue II
02-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Yes. He also covered Hendrix...well, technically Bob Dylan I suppose. Seemed like some strange selections.

El Chuxter
02-05-2007, 11:08 AM
And Creedence. The older stuff seems less odd to me, though.

Rogue II
02-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Did he do CCR? I wasn't fully paying attention. While I was making my other post, I couldn't remember if he did Purple Haze or All Along the Watch Tower. It seemed strange to me because I don't ever remember him covering anyone.

I was wondering which of his songs he would preform because of the dispute with his record label that led him to change his name. Prince always seemed weird, then that sketch on the Chapelle Show confirmed it.

El Chuxter
02-05-2007, 12:14 PM
He did "Proud Mary" last night. And a bit of "All Along the Watchtower." Then, next thing I know, he's doing Foo Fighters.

CaptainSolo1138
02-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Who better to play at the testosterone-fueled Super Bowl than the most effeminate entertainer this side of Little Richard.

I got up and did dishes while he was performing, proving my masculinity.

QLD
02-05-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't know, but it was by far the best halftime show in years.

JimJamBonds
02-05-2007, 12:51 PM
I thought the order of his set was weird (along with the covers as well). He did a couple of fast songs and then a slow song (I don't remember which song that was) and then he ended with Purple Rain?!?!?!? Little Red Corvette would have been a better choice. Personally I had my fingers crossed that he'd play Batdance and/or "Kitty" Control. ;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-05-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't know, but it was by far the best halftime show in years.

I am in complete agreement on this one. Great performance. :thumbsup:

jjreason
02-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Whatdya think? I thought it was too apparent that some air-guitar was happening (unless there was a 2nd guitarest in the blacked-out back-up band, which is possible), but I thought he put on a great show. The Foo Fighters cover was a nice surprise, probably the highlight of the set. The little man can still make magic happen. :thumbsup:

jjreason
02-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Guess my thread over in the "music" section is a duplicate, as this discussion is well underway.

I'll echo my over there sentiments here though (GNT would, which makes it okay), and say he rocked. I loved the Foo cover - thought it was the highlight of the set in fact.

Rocketboy
02-05-2007, 03:47 PM
It was as boring as every other half-time show.

Slicker
02-05-2007, 03:48 PM
It was as boring as every other half-time show.
Yep. Not even Janet's tatter at half time was exciting for me.

I'll wager Newsbot was excited though.

Tycho
02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm upset. They could have arranged to have an Ashley Simpson wardrobe malfunction or something cooler like that!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-05-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm upset. They could have arranged to have an Ashley Simpson wardrobe malfunction or something cooler like that!

I'm assuming you mean Janet Jackson?

You wanted a wardrobe malfunction on Prince? Hm, suddenly Tycho, so many things i thought I knew about you and your antics just flew out the window. :whip:

DarkArtist
02-05-2007, 05:33 PM
didn't do it for me. was working a Super Bowl Party so I basically just heard a few snipits as I was cleaning up the food. I think the best Halftime Show I have seen was the year with Paul McCartney.

How about Billy Joel singing the anthem ? He sounded a little off-key in the begininng.

Tycho
02-05-2007, 05:37 PM
No. Prince is disgusting! And I'm not into guys.

Next, I'm also not into Janet Jackson. So I just picked Ashlee Simpson as a quick resort.

I'd volunteer Lindsey Lohan, but I don't know which one of the teeny-boppers are bad singers and which ones are just bad actresses. I don't think I'm attracted to any of the current "stars," or at least I don't pay much attention to them. Kristin Kruek (Smallville) is still my style.

EDIT: I just thought of something that would be disgusting, but nevertheless funny - a Donald Trump / Rosie O'Donnel mud wrestling match at the 50 yard line! With the crowd calling for blood and hair pulling (not to mention the destruction of the comb-over) that would be entertainment. They could pipe in Metallica for the occasion: "Aint' My B***ch!"

They should have consulted me on the entertainment options for this show. I'd give America what it's begging for!

Slicker
02-05-2007, 05:43 PM
How about Billy Joel singing the anthem ? He sounded a little off-key in the begininng.I noticed that as well. It almost sounded like his voice cracked a bit.

JediTricks
02-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Yeah, Billy Joel's voice was cracking at the beginning, and was flat throughout.

I think Prince is a great musical artist, but he totally flopped yesterday. He was playing the guitar for sure, but there were parts that he was faking as well. But nobody would fake playing THAT sloppy, and Prince brought no energy to his singing either - I suspect the rain bummed him out and killed his guitar playing as well. I was actually quite surprised at how badly Prince did with this.

2-1B
02-05-2007, 05:55 PM
How 'bout the shadow antics with his guitar ? lol

It was okay I guess, but totally unneccesary to cover 2 lackluster songs when he has so many of his own good ones to play.

2-1B
02-05-2007, 05:56 PM
I don't really understand why Prince would play down to the level of the Foo Fighters. :confused:

bobafrett
02-05-2007, 07:06 PM
First off Caes, the Foo's rock, don't dis the Foo!

I remember Prince singing "Tell me do you like what you see..", to which I replied "No". My girlfriend laughed. My mom was so into Prince, she went to see him in concert when he was still with his band "The Revulotion". Did anyone see the lightningjust as little "P" hit the stage?

El Chuxter
02-05-2007, 07:14 PM
I thought you liked the Foo, Cae?

Tycho
02-05-2007, 07:49 PM
The lightning might've been proof of two things:

1) God exists

2) He has bad aim in his old age.

2-1B
02-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Not really Chux, well they do have some decent tunes so I will give them credit but I think they are overrated for the most part and very very trendy. Plus that Mentos songs sucked. lol

Still, Prince is PRINCE for god's sake...he should have played another Prince song. :grin:

Tycho
02-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Know what would be frightening? Metallica playing covers of Cyndi Lauper songs! :D

Darth Jax
02-05-2007, 08:12 PM
metallica is a great cover band though. that would be a hilarious album - metallica plays the 80's

no i didn't watch any of the game, commercials or halftime. wasn't that excited about the choice of prince for entertainment at a football game.

Kidhuman
02-05-2007, 09:19 PM
IT sucked, period.

El Chuxter
02-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Except for the solos. I'll give him that. That's always been my biggest frustration with Prince: he's clearly an amazing guitarist, but you're lucky to get five seconds of guitar in most of his songs.

JimJamBonds
02-06-2007, 11:10 AM
How about Billy Joel singing the anthem ? He sounded a little off-key in the begininng.

I thought he did a good job PLUS he played the song "straight" and didn't butcher it at all.*

although had I known he was going to play it that way I would have taken the 'under' in our bet on how long he'd take to sing the anthem.

DarkArtist
02-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I thought he did a good job PLUS he played the song "straight" and didn't butcher it at all.

just the beginning was off-key and cracked. the rest of the song was good but not his best work. but anything is better than Roseanne singing.

El Chuxter
02-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Billy Joel at "not his best" is still better than 99.99% of the other musicians out there.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-06-2007, 07:12 PM
I thought Prince put on a pretty good show. I too was wondering if the guitar was faked because early on it looked like it was still playing when he took his hands off it, but if it was just one hand, then maybe it was real. You could see that he was playing the notes with one hand many times after that. I saw him on an awards show a couple years ago and it was the first time I realized how good a guitar player he was. I was just looking at comments on a Prince site and I didn't see anything to suggest that it was fake, so I say the guitar playing was real.

Kidhuman
02-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Billy rocked, Prince sucked.

JediTricks
02-06-2007, 08:21 PM
How 'bout the shadow antics with his guitar ? lol You know, I didn't even think of it that way, it wasn't until it was pointed out by either The Daily Show or Colbert Report.

JimJamBonds
02-07-2007, 12:13 AM
just the beginning was off-key and cracked. the rest of the song was good but not his best work. but anything is better than Roseanne singing.

What about Carl Lewis? :p

Mad Slanted Powers
02-07-2007, 12:31 AM
What about Carl Lewis? :p
Carl Lewis could outrun Roseanne.

DarthQuack
02-07-2007, 12:34 AM
Billy sounded pretty good, I'm not really into Prince much, but he was one of the better performances of late at the Superbowl.

JimJamBonds
02-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Carl Lewis could outrun Roseanne.

That he could but did you ever hear his attempt at singing the National Anthem? Two words: not good.

InsaneJediGirl
02-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I dont know why Prince was picked for the half-time show....it seemed kind of...lame? Prince is alright, but when I picture a football half-time show, I see it more as hard rock and not, well, Prince.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I dont know why Prince was picked for the half-time show....it seemed kind of...lame? Prince is alright, but when I picture a football half-time show, I see it more as hard rock and not, well, Prince.
Perhaps that is why he chose more rocking tunes and covered Foo Fighters rather than do some of his regular stuff.

dr_evazan22
02-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I'll agree with IJG about Prince... I just didn't get it. And couldn't stand the way Fox was hyping it for the preceding month. I didn't understand the choice of songs that he smosshed together. For me it felt very disjointed. If not for the Foo Fighters song I think a case could've been made about the songs being great American rock songs (Proud Mary [was that the name? By CCR?] and All Along The Watchtower).

When the sheet came down and Prince's shadow was being projected I thought he was masturbating with his guitar.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-11-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm not really a fan of Prince. I haven't really kept up with much of what he has done since Purple Rain, but after seeing that awards show performance that I mentioned, I saw that he is definitely a great guitar player. I may not care for his music, but I admit he is a great entertainer. I thought he put on a good show. I think the unexpected choice of several cover songs made it more interesting than just coming out and performing his own stuff. The set was full of high energy tunes and it sounded pretty good.

Tycho
02-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Some interesting choices for the future might be:

Mandy Moore performs Metallica's greatest hits.

MotorHead plays Cyndi Lauper

Barry Manalowe sings Slayer

Boy George performs Eminem

The list goes on...

Mad Slanted Powers
02-11-2007, 06:30 PM
On Robin Williams' Reality...What a Concept! album, he said, "Joan Sutherland sings Rod Stewart" and then sang a line of "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" in an female opera voice.

Maybe instead, Pat Boone could perform songs from In a Metal Mood.

El Chuxter
02-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Maybe instead, Pat Boone could perform songs from In a Metal Mood.

I'm there.

That is, even if unintentionally, one of the funniest albums ever recorded.

bobafrett
02-11-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm there.

I still have that one. I played it just once, just once.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm there.

I think I saw him perform "Enter Sandman" on Letterman. I just listened to clips from the album on iTunes. I don't remember for sure, but the version I saw seemed to rock a bit more than the album.