PDA

View Full Version : Master Replicas "Gravitron" line ???

sicqnus
02-06-2007, 07:18 AM
It seems MR will produce mini ships (AF-like) in a line called "Gravitron". They will be way better looking than the AF. The first ships will be : Luke's X-Wing, Darth Vaders Tie Fighter, Death Star, Falcon (yes, I know... but the DS, why not ?).

JediTricks, any news about this line ???

sergiurusu
02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Heard about this line, I'm really curious about 2 aspects: pictures and price for the ships...

JediTricks
02-06-2007, 10:39 PM
I really liked the idea when I first heard about them, but it sounded like it could get pricey fast. The basic idea, as I remember it, was that they're vehicle replicas that use magnets to hover them above their display stands - the concept is right up my alley, I love hovering and magnets and all that jazz. I'm not 100% on the details, it's been a few months at least since I heard about them, but there ya go. More details will available next week at Toy Fair, and SSG will bring you the coverage.

RobertDD
02-07-2007, 08:37 AM
That all sounds great. If this is all true I will be VERY interested in this line, especially now that the Ultra line is cancelled.

However, after reading the first topic in this post yesterday I did some looking around on Google but could not find any more detail on these than just the announcement that MR will be introducting a new line called Gravitrons. No mention of size, hovering magnets or anything. Anyone care to share a link?

JediTricks
02-07-2007, 07:38 PM
There's no more published info on these that I know of, the tiny tidbit that came out last week was from UK Toy Fair and it was just the name of the line and that they were vehicle replicas.

LTBasker
02-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Another drug, another addiction. >_<

It sounds REALLY cool, but I really hope they keep the number of ships to a minimum. I mean I think we can do without any hovering orange stiped B-Wings or a thousand of each Jedi Starfighter. ;)

RobertDD
02-08-2007, 08:42 AM
There's no more published info on these that I know of, the tiny tidbit that came out last week was from UK Toy Fair and it was just the name of the line and that they were vehicle replicas.

So we really don't know if they are AF sized then. Well, we'll just have to wait and see... I, for one, am lad there is something to get exited over on the horizon anyways. :)

darktrooper7
02-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Just a comment on the size - if they are AF size and assuming they will be a mix of die cast and plastic parts, then they will be quite heavy, so to levitate them with magents will require a fair sized magnet, which will either mean they are expensive or they are small in size.

To my way of thinking they will either be light weight plastic (so possibly also not great quality) or they will be small in size, along the lines of the 3" titaniums.

Either that or the whole magnet levitation thing is wrong and they can be whatever size and materials MR likes :)

Also the same, i hope they are AF sized...its a great scale - not too big, not too small, just right! :thumbsup:

sicqnus
02-09-2007, 03:58 AM
Revell of Germany made "Magnet Hover" model kits of WWII and Modern Jet figthers.
They were 1:72 scale wich is more or less the scale of the Action Fleet fighters. The fighters are
made of styrene as most of the model kits. There are two magnets, one in the fighter's body and
the other in the base. The fighter is attached with very thin nylon fishing wire to the base.

MR said they've considering the idea of making small scale vehicles as they did with
the lighhtsabers waves for example. The hovering thing is a good idea (but nothing new)
and obviously the models couldn't be made of metal and resin parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spitfire-MK-V-1-72-Magic-Flight-Model-Kit-Revell-09105_W0QQitemZ230086650278QQihZ013QQcategoryZ5030 1QQcmdZViewItem

BountyHunterScum
02-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Hopefully they are affordable. Plus hopefully a Star Destroyer and other Capital ships are included. Technically the Titanium ISD is supposed to be the Imperial-I class but is obviously the Imperial-II. Hopefully the Executor class Super Star Destroyer as well.

JediTricks
02-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Just a comment on the size - if they are AF size and assuming they will be a mix of die cast and plastic parts, then they will be quite heavy, so to levitate them with magents will require a fair sized magnet, which will either mean they are expensive or they are small in size.They could use electricity to power the magnet, then it could be small enough but plug into the wall. My guess is a size between Titanium 3" and Action Fleet 6". If they used electricity, they could actually do a spinning electromagnet which could really make things interesting, but that'd be sorta advanced.

darktrooper7
02-11-2007, 06:30 AM
They could use electricity to power the magnet, then it could be small enough but plug into the wall. My guess is a size between Titanium 3" and Action Fleet 6". If they used electricity, they could actually do a spinning electromagnet which could really make things interesting, but that'd be sorta advanced.

Rotating would be pretty sweet. Having a wall plug though would be pretty annoying. Unless you could link a bunch together and run them from one plug or soemthing. Otherwise you would end up with cables everywhere - YUK!

Guess we will have to wait and see....im pretty interested to see what comes up though! :)

sicqnus
02-11-2007, 06:37 AM
For those who want to know more about the magnet hover thing here is a review of a modeller (sorry, in french) who have converted an Angel Interceptor from Captain Scarlet with a Revell Kit. Then you'll have a better idea of what it could look like.

http://modelstories.free.fr/analyses/avions/MS2002_3P/REVL_Magic/IMAI_Angel_MF_cavole.JPG

http://modelstories.free.fr/analyses/avions/MS2002_3P/REVL_Magic/index.html

RobertDD
02-12-2007, 08:51 AM
[...] so to levitate them with magents will require a fair sized magnet, which will either mean they are expensive or they are small in size[...]

Actally, I worked for a toy manufacturer and we had these wooden trains that connect with magnets. Our chinese factories had used a magnet stronger than specced by us. Those magnets, no more than a cm in diameter and no thicker than 3 mm or so where deemed strong enough to slice a little tyke's finger of if it got caught in between, so we had people in the warehouse swap them out for less strong magnets.

I had never seen magnets that strong before (or since) and I can assure that those would've kept an action fleet sized ship floating pretty well. I do think getting the placement exactly right is more of an issue though.

Anyways, we used to have fun with those magnets at work. Someone ran them alongside a monitor for fun. That monitor has never beeen the same since (degausing did not work) :D

SWAFMAN
02-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktrooper7
[...] so to levitate them with magents will require a fair sized magnet[...]
----------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I won't be displaying any of these atop my computer!

sergiurusu
02-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktrooper7
[...] so to levitate them with magents will require a fair sized magnet[...]
----------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I won't be displaying any of these atop my computer!

Excellent choice:yes:

LTBasker
02-12-2007, 02:19 PM
They could use Earth magnets, those little suckers are very very strong.

JediTricks
02-13-2007, 04:46 PM
They could use Earth magnets, those little suckers are very very strong.
At this size, rare earth magnets are very expensive and would probably damage any cellphones, tvs, DVRs, or other technology put within a 3 foot radius without proper shielding (which again will cost more).

LTBasker
02-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Right, forgot about that. Yeah...that could work if they bought stock in all those areas. ;)

I've been seeing Toy Fair pics of an X-wing I'd say a bit smaller than the vintage/1995 X-Wing from MR. Is that supposed to be in this line? Cause if it's supposed to be the levitating one, that could be pricey...

sergiurusu
02-14-2007, 03:22 AM
Maybe we should use a powerful fan to make it fly:D :D

JediTricks
02-14-2007, 11:57 PM
The one at Toy Fair is their upcoming Prop Replica, not a Gravitron. And there is no previous MR X-wing Prop Replica, the previous X-wing Prop Replica is from the now-defunct company "Icons".

ascmclarencoupe
02-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Now that Toy Fair 2007 has been over for nearly a week, is there any more information available about this line yet?

JediTricks
02-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Not yet unfortunately.