PDA

View Full Version : What was the first Variant or Chase Figure you Purchased.

DarkArtist
02-06-2007, 03:39 PM
so my first were all the small photo red cards versions of Luke, Ben and Vader with the long lightsabers.

TheCivilCollector
02-06-2007, 04:40 PM
I looked around for the long saber errors (variant or error, really?). I stopped going after card variants when everyone was going crazy finding the green card POTF2 figs without the holo-sticker (especially when you could just carefully peel off the sticker yourself).

I think the first true "variant" I got was both versions (blue pants and brown pants) of the POTF2 Endor Han. Unless you count the recent endor trooper black skin/white skin figures.

Don't get me started on the million clone variants out there. Grrrr.........

bobafrett
02-06-2007, 06:20 PM
I think it was the glove circle variant on the Bobafett many years back, but I bought it purely by accident. I just happened to read an article about it, and looked at the two Fett's I had, and sure enough I had both. Other variants I have, but didn'r realize: Bloody stump bepsin Luke; Red/Blue saber Palpatine; Saber length Obi-Wan, and Vader.

The one variant I did seek out was the Leia with the different bumps on her belt.

mtriv73
02-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Long and short saber luke skywalker/he-man hybrid.

The most recent variant I purchased was the C3PO with painted knees (I skipped the unpainted one though.)

I'm ashamed to say that I got all 3 variations of that cantina figure that wasn't momaw nadon (I'm blanking on the name). The only difference was the glass he came with.

Dark Marble
02-06-2007, 08:52 PM
The first variant I seriously looked for was the bloody stump Luke. I never found it at retail as the one real shot I had somebody beat me there by seconds. I saw him walking away with it. I bought it on ebay later for $11.

Kidhuman
02-06-2007, 08:57 PM
I too think it was the bloody stump Luke that I looked for. I thought blood on a figure was pretty sweet. I dont hunt variants, but if I come across them I will buy them if there is nothing else to buy. I ended up with all 3 C3PO's from the H&V wave because they were there and nothing else was for about 2 weeks.

TheCivilCollector
02-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I got the bloody stump Luke, completely by accident, though. I didn't even know it was the variant.

El Chuxter
02-06-2007, 11:25 PM
First one I can be sure of would be the Bearded/Redheaded Endor Troopers from the Saga wave. I bought an extra of the bearded one and the Asian Bespin Guard (okay, the only Bespin Guard worth mentioning) and headswapped so I'd have an Asian Endor Trooper and Tom Green as a Bespin Guard.

Snowtrooper
02-07-2007, 11:22 AM
The first variant I remember getting is the EI Battle Droid with the slash on its chest.

Kidhuman
02-07-2007, 11:25 AM
The first variant I remember getting is the EI Battle Droid with the slash on its chest.

I forgot about the 4 different ones they released then, so that would be the first I actively seeked.

El Chuxter
02-07-2007, 11:31 AM
That's right! I did get all four of those.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-07-2007, 12:34 PM
on accident the orange carded short saber because i wanted some to open. Like kidhuman, the ONLY variant I've ever sought was the bloody stump luke and my friend sent it to me...nice guy! :love: ok wait, i did get both versions of the saga 06 endor trooper but i don't know which one was the variant?

JON9000
02-07-2007, 12:39 PM
I looked around for the long saber errors (variant or error, really?).

long/short saber was a variant, not an error. I would consider short saber/long tray to be an error. As it happens, LONG SABER was the original pack-in, hence short saber is the variant.

I've never really set out to buy all versions of a particular variant other than red and blue snaggletooth, although I happen to also have a large and small head Han.

El Chuxter
02-07-2007, 12:58 PM
ok wait, i did get both versions of the saga 06 endor trooper but i don't know which one was the variant?

That's actually a very tough question, as they shipped in equal numbers and the card showed both. I'm thinking the cardback lists only showed the Caucasian one, though I might be wrong, in which case the African-Naboo would be the variant.

DarthQuack
02-07-2007, 01:08 PM
I remember wanting the transition wave with Greedo, Jawas, etc. A buddy of mine in high school had been collecting the '95 stuff before I got into it and he had gotten these and pretty much told me I was out of luck.....That's when I started looking out more often.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-07-2007, 01:16 PM
That's actually a very tough question, as they shipped in equal numbers and the card showed both. I'm thinking the cardback lists only showed the Caucasian one, though I might be wrong, in which case the African-Naboo would be the variant.

I think you're right...I just looked on the back of my endor luke and the white guy is shown as the endor soldier so I guess the black guy endor soldier is the variant. In any case, I got them both just for some "variation" hahaha :p

Ji'dai
02-07-2007, 01:51 PM
I don't actively look for variants unless they correct an error on an earlier release. I kept error figures in the past but now I just return them if/when I get the corrected version. I did this with the Endor 3PO knee thing.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-07-2007, 05:40 PM
I didn't start army building until 2002, so I guess the Endor Rebel Soldier was the first variant I got. I don't usually get the "corrected" figures so unfortunately I'm stuck with Elan Sleazabaggano with ears, C-3PO with brown knees, and Commander Bly with no stripe. :cry:

JediTricks
02-07-2007, 08:14 PM
One of the first SW figure I bought, Vader, was the long-saber variant. I hated it and took it back for an exchange. I think the first intentional chase figure I got was brown-coat Han Hoth in the Saga line, but it may have been one of the officer variants from the POTJ line.

BTW, on the saber-length variations for the first POTF2 wave, there's actually a 3rd shortest length so calling them "short-saber" is confusing because most folks refer to the corrected length as short-saber when it's really "regular-saber" and before the regulars came out there was a run where the sabers were extra-short.

Kidhuman
02-07-2007, 09:05 PM
I thought they were micro sabers the really shot ones.

mericen
02-07-2007, 11:37 PM
I guess my first variant I purchased would have been "Big-headed" Han Solo from the original series. Too bad I was only 8, so I opened it. But that is life.

abell748
02-08-2007, 08:33 AM
The first variants I bought were when I first found the new figures in 1995. The first time I saw them I bought the long saber Luke, Vader, and Obi-Wan. I used to search for variants, but I regained my sanity and stopped.

tagmac
02-08-2007, 11:20 AM
X-Wing Luke on the orange card with the short saber, followed by both the orange and green carded versions of the Stormtrooper Luke wave.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-08-2007, 08:48 PM
I can't recall which variations of POTF2 figures I might have. The first figure that I can recall seeking out would have been the corrected Saga Luke Final Duel, mainly because I wanted to have the more accurate version.

jjreason
02-08-2007, 09:12 PM
1995/96 Leia with the corrected (or at least different) belt - but I didn't buy her because of that, I bought her because she'd been SO hard to find and I thought I hit a great score. A month later, there was no one on the pegs but that monkey faced eyesore.

I am happy to look back and see that I kept her carded, along with a couple of other 1995 Canadian orange carded figures with the square cards (including a long saber, closeup photo Obi Wan).

I also actively sought out the corrected Endor Han, the blue pants were terrible.

Luuuuuuke
02-09-2007, 12:22 PM
The first and only variant that I purchased and kept carded was the ROTS Palpatine with the blue light saber. I'm an opener, so it's relatively unusual for me to keep something carded. I kept that one carded because I liked it as a variant. To me there was something cool about a Palpatine mistakenly(i assume) given the blue light saber of a good guy.

I'm not aware of any other variants I keep carded.