PDA

View Full Version : A review of Haagen-Daz's Coffee Ice Cream

Tycho
02-06-2007, 08:25 PM
It is yummy! If you like chocolate, or are one of the people who thinks real coffee smells better than it tastes, you'll like this ice cream.

I bought the little bucket of it, so I wouldn't have too much in case I didn't like it.

I actually had to force myself to save some for later, as I'm afraid I ate over half the junior sized bucket's contents.

You might want to have a glass of water handy to wash it down.

I suddenly got really thirsty after I finished my ice cream snack (well it was more like a meal).

But I think the majority of you all will really like Haagen-Daz's coffee flavored ice cream.

(BTW, it took time and careful consideration for me to decide on this, as I weighed purchasing Dreyers, Breyer's, and Ben & Jerry's flavors instead - then ultimately decided to take a chance on this one.)

So there you have it, my first Ice Cream Review of 2007!

Eat it up! Yum-Yum.

figrin bran
02-06-2007, 10:18 PM
wow, a new weekly feature courtesy of Tycho.

i usually don't like coffee ice creams though

Tycho
02-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Oh, I don't know if it will be a weekly feature, but maybe an occasional thread or I'll just repost about a new flavor in this thread.

However, my current positive experience with coffee ice cream is that I'll buy this product again as soon as I run out of ice cream. As my plans are such, I can't review a new flavor. However, my all-time favorite used to be Breyer's or Dreyer's Pistachio (the one with artificial green coloring).

I just feel like a break from that flavor.

I also loved Ben & Jerry's White Russian. This Haagen Daz's coffee is very similar, which must be why I like it. I couldn't find the Ben & Jerry's flavor except at select name-brand-only ice cream stores. And not all of B&J's carried White Russian.

In any case, none of Tycho's special feature threads are on a regular basis:

- the dream threads occur as needed. I have to have an interesting dream first (and remember it).

- the Mouse Droid sniffing thread is really about finding new figures and opening them and sniffing them. My latest find was the Kashyyyk Special Ops Clone who doesn't really smell like anything - so no story there.

- and my political threads have kind of tapered off as Nancy Pelosi has had a calming affect on me for some reason or another, though I'm hearing some less-than-good things about her from some of my Republican friends, but that's for the Rancor Pit.

- the news about the psycho-stalking astronaut (El Chuxter's thread) is of interest, but there's not too much more to say until the story unfolds some more at her trial. Haha: the judge did have her ordered to wear a GPS tracking cuff however, just in case she tried to leave the earth!

El Chuxter
02-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Coffee ice cream is best mixed with chocolate milk and Kahlua.

JediTricks
02-07-2007, 07:24 PM
I've been eating this ice cream since I was a kid, my grandmother is a big fan of this one since the early '80s when it hit the national scene. Now that I've become sensitive to caffeine though, I have avoided it, and the last time I tried it last year the caffeine was super bitter and unpalatable.

Tycho
02-07-2007, 08:52 PM
I read the ingredients (albeit very quickly) and I didn't see there was any caffine content listed. It should be there if it were in there, right?

In this world of artificial flavoring, the taste could be simulated. They make coffee flavored bubblegum too - and I don't think there's caffine in that either.

JediTricks
02-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Haagen-Dazs' coffee ice cream doesn't need to list caffeine as a separate ingredient because it's not added separately, it's a component to the natural coffee they use to flavor the ice cream. The ingredients are "Cream, Skim Milk, Sugar, Egg Yolks, Coffee". Since it doesn't say "natural flavor", it's a significant amount of coffee beans even though it's last in the list. H-D claims they roast their own real Brazillian coffee beans for it, so that's normal coffee-level caffeine.

Tycho
02-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Hmmm. Then maybe I shouldn't be eating it.

I wasn't told to specifically stay away from caffeine (I think I'm spelling that correctly now, thanks JT), but I know it increases blood pressure and I should try to limit my intake of it due to my health concerns.

JediTricks
02-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Yeah, that's how you spell it, and you're right that you shouldn't be ingesting it with your condition. The problem is that coffee ice cream is pretty tasty, but decaffeinated coffee is too expensive to waste on ice cream (and most decaf coffee beverage is a much lower quality of bean so it tastes pretty awful) - I think there's an artificial flavored ice cream out there that holds up, but I don't remember which.

You should watch the protein levels in ice cream too, some use more milk and/or eggs than others, some add extra milk protein separately for stabilizing.

Tycho
02-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Well, a treat once in a while, and I'm OK. I finished it the other day but I haven't had the urge to buy more.

Actually, I'm eating less now. It's strange, but I'm having only two meals a day now: a late breakfast and a very late lunch-dinner.

I'll have a snack here and there (I bought fresh fruit - apples, blueberries, raspberries to munch on), but I'm not that hungry and I sleep on and off all day and night.

I also have been having a tendancy to vomit about 3 times a week. I know: you thank me for sharing that...

Tenric78
02-10-2007, 12:44 AM
That... doesn't sound good.

Tycho
02-10-2007, 05:03 AM
No. It's not. I have polycysitc kidney disease, Tenric. I've been around this site since I was a healthy college student involved in athletics and all-around trouble making (a lot of it in toy isles). But I've been here about 11 years now.

My illness is hereditary. PKD is the most common hereditary affliction in the United States - so common that Medicare has specific provisions for it written into the law. However, it is still pretty rare.

I have the dominant form that appears to get started during adolescence. (A recessive form requires a recessive gene from each parent and can kill an infant - though the parents will not develop the disease). This dominant form of the disease killed my father, my Aunt, and their father before them, and cancer took my mother, leaving me orphaned in my late 20's. (I'm an only-kid) By luck, I'm set up, so I'm financially independent, though I had other ideas about where I'd be right now after college.

In the summer of 2005, I had a aneurysm rupture in my brain while I was working out at the gym. The aneurysm was caused by high blood pressure which goes hand and hand with PKD, in a chicken-egg-scenerio. Aneurysms are often fatal, or like strokes, and can leave one brain-damaged, too. (I was already brain damaged because by 2005 I'd collected Star Wars figures for 10 years in the modern line, and probably 7 years back in vintage days with the help of my mom.) Anyway, I am very fortunate, because aside from getting very fatigued easily now, I am back to the way I was before the aneurysm. I did take nearly 3 months before I was walking normally again and driving as well. I can still get winded just putting on my shoes - sometimes.

With kidneys not working well, my blood is more poison (from protein waste) than oxygen, so that is why I'm tired. I might also react with nausea to high protein content food, or food prepared a certain way. I'm finding I have an adverse reaction to anything at McDonald's. But that might be everyone's experience anyway.

They say that once I have a transplant (I'm on the waiting list), I'll be cleaned out and running around like the energizer bunny. For safety reasons, some things I used to do like martial arts and surfing I will probably never return to. But I want to take up bike riding and other outdoor activities. I may go back to jet skiing or motorboating, but not as violently recklessly as I once went at it.

Or of course I could have another aneurysm and have it be fatal, or to many degrees more severe in effects than the last one.

So, my life had been dedicated to preparing my political career, but now it has had this wonderful surprise - and local government here has fallen into a disaster anyway - such that a good public servant's only option for accomplishment is to balance our city budget. In all irony or ironies, I've turned to writing my novel I always wanted to scribe (ever since I had the idea in 2001 or so) - and btw, it is fiction and has nothing to do with my health condition or anything remotely related.

But wouldn't it be a wonderful surprise if I made a fortune from my literary work? All this time I'd been in school and advancing my experience in community work, and all I had to do was stay at home and type. :squareeye

Anyway, I started on this site with a few compliments on my writing and quite a large following for a Star Wars newsletter I used to scribe. So I'm back to basics. In grammar school, my teachers used to always say I was going to be a writer or an artist. For a long time, I went a different route. It's strange to be brought back in this direction, because I wasn't one to believe in predestination. I guess we'll see if I'm any good or not.

In conclusion, Haagen-Daz Coffee Ice Cream is good; McDonald's is bad.

Tenric78
02-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Re your final point: That's common sense hehe

Wow, that's crazy! I hope you get the transplant soon.

Since I'm prolly the newest one on these boards, may I ask what you've written or do you have a link or something? I'm a budding writer, although I don't find enough time (or am too lazy) to sit right down and get to it. I think that's one of the reasons I run a toy blog and a dumb website. It distracts me from "real" writing. hehe

Tycho
02-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Since I'm prolly the newest one on these boards, may I ask what you've written or do you have a link or something?

I think Steve lost the data stored of my book reviews / newsletters here when SSG and Action-Online split. They didn't save my work either. I contribute short articles to the site's news every once in a while.

When I was a kid I won an elementary school student's book writing contest and the reward was being published in the children's section of a few of my California county's libraries. I have a hard copy of the book. It was similar to an Indpendence Day saga, only written like 10-12 years before that was a movie. In any case, as a kid I scribed over 200 pages. My teacher was to read the winning books to our class at "story time." Mine took several weeks to get through (at 15 minute daily story-breaks) while most of the kids wrote 20-30 page short stories that we got through quickly.

Hehe. I remember, mine required a diagram being drawn on the black board because even my alien invaders had political parties. I'M NOT KIDDING YOU! I was a nuiscance even in the 6th grade. :D

I'm a budding writer, although I don't find enough time (or am too lazy) to sit right down and get to it. I think that's one of the reasons I run a toy blog and a dumb website. It distracts me from "real" writing. hehe

I know what you mean. I drew out a calendar for my story and wrote my outline in it "desktop dayplanner style," and I type in different colors, whatever part of my story I feel like working on. Similar to a movie director, it's not all being crafted in sequential order, but will be streamlined in re-writes.

When done, this will be my first adult novel. It will be as long or as short as it needs to be. I have no target length, I just want to tell a good story. I'd guess between 400-600 pages though.

It's not whether someone has time to read something longer or shorter. It's if I can make every chapter interesting, and thus the book's entertainment value is kept at an all-time high. People will want to continue reading then.

You don't mind if a good movie is 3 hours long, right? But you'd walk out of a bad one that stretches on and on.