PDA

View Full Version : A review of Thomas' English Muffins

Tycho
02-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Another food product thread prompted by a true love for another tasty item.

I love how you toast these and they have that doughy taste and the butter gets into all those nooks and crannies (I'm sure I sound like the commercial).

But I had not purchases English Muffins for probably a year. I go through phases of getting tired of something or another.

But you get 6 or so in a box and I must enjoy them if I'm going through the box I just bought at a rate of like 2 a day.

That tells me to buy more than 1 box on my next trip.

(I do not normally buy more food than I estimate I'll eat in a week. I'm not a pack-rat with food).

JediTricks
02-07-2007, 09:06 PM
These things aren't that good anymore, the nooks and crannies are so prevalent that you can't butter them with a butterknife, it just mashes the muffin down and keeps the butter stuck in a pool in a few places. And they're really pricey compared to Van de Kamps which I have every day.

Tycho
02-07-2007, 09:21 PM
I will try Van de Kamps based on your recommendation on my next trip to the store. I've liked their bread products before.

UKWildcat
02-07-2007, 09:43 PM
The only time I have Thomas' English Muffins is when I make them into little pizzas. Cut them in half, spread pizza sauce on them, top them with cheese and whatever else. Pop them in the oven. Very, very tasty!!! :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
02-07-2007, 10:09 PM
The only time I have Thomas' English Muffins is when I make them into little pizzas. Cut them in half, spread pizza sauce on them, top them with cheese and whatever else. Pop them in the oven. Very, very tasty!!! :thumbsup:

The only way I will eat them as well.

Tycho
02-08-2007, 12:04 AM

Those are great that way!. You know: I have spaghetti sauce and cheese here at home, and 1 muffin left...

(what happened to an "idea" emoticon with the little lightbulb above the head?)

DarkArtist
02-08-2007, 10:37 AM
wow, I can't remember the last time I had English Muffins.

El Chuxter
02-08-2007, 10:41 AM
I prefer Scottish Muffins.

mabudonicus
02-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Ditto for me on the mini-pizzas, that "recipe" is genius, as we have a low-grade grocery store here that sells mostly pre-made dinners and crap (and being vegetarian pretty much all of them are no good for us) so if we ever get lazy (or caught flat-footed by bad weather and can't make a proper grocery run) they are a great substitute for actual food.. best part is that any english muffin is good enough for the treatment :beard: Isobaws :mebs:&

JimJamBonds
02-08-2007, 10:46 AM
I prefer Slicker's moms muffins.

Kidhuman
02-08-2007, 10:55 AM
I prefer Scottish Muffins.

Cappy likes Asian muffins

Tycho
02-08-2007, 01:18 PM
OK, today per JediTricks' recommendation, I bought Van de Kamp's regular English Muffins.

I also couldn't resist the temptation and bought OroWheat's Apple-cinnamon English Muffins.

As I'm not terribly hungry right now, I haven't tried either. I will be back to report on this important development as soon as I want food.

Tycho
02-09-2007, 12:04 AM
I ate an OroWheat Apple-Cinnamon English Muffin and liked it.

Then I ate another one. 2 / 6 down. I bet they don't last through Saturday. My guess right now is that I like them. YUM.

CaptainSolo1138
02-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Cappy likes Asian muffinsNot really. If I had my druthers I'd take a Jewish muffin.:yes:

Tycho
02-09-2007, 04:18 PM
I tried the Van de Kamps regular English muffin a little while ago. It was more solid than Thomas' more doughy, cumbly one. It might have tasted a little more bland, but it was very good. I may prefer that to the OroWheat apple-cinnamon ones, but I didn't eat 2 Van de Kamps - though that was most likely because I wasn't as terribly hungry this morning.

JediTricks
02-09-2007, 11:51 PM
The only way I will eat them as well.
Ditto for me on the mini-pizzas, that "recipe" is genius, as we have a low-grade grocery store here that sells mostly pre-made dinners and crap (and being vegetarian pretty much all of them are no good for us) so if we ever get lazy (or caught flat-footed by bad weather and can't make a proper grocery run) they are a great substitute for actual food.. best part is that any english muffin is good enough for the treatment :beard: Isobaws :mebs:&You guys do know that recipe was basically invented by 1960s teenage girls and have been a teenage girl staple ever since, right?

OK, today per JediTricks' recommendation, I bought Van de Kamp's regular English Muffins.

I also couldn't resist the temptation and bought OroWheat's Apple-cinnamon English Muffins.

As I'm not terribly hungry right now, I haven't tried either. I will be back to report on this important development as soon as I want food.Orowheat's english muffins are very similar to Van de Kamps in terms of flavor, shape, and texture - the only difference I could find was the pricetag. But I didn't check nutritional diffs, maybe more sodium or fat or protein - which reminds me, watch the bread intake Tycho, breads have proteins too and salt.

I tried the Van de Kamps regular English muffin a little while ago. It was more solid than Thomas' more doughy, cumbly one. It might have tasted a little more bland, but it was very good. I may prefer that to the OroWheat apple-cinnamon ones, but I didn't eat 2 Van de Kamps - though that was most likely because I wasn't as terribly hungry this morning.Well, it's going to be more bland than an apple-cinnamon one. I forgot to mention, the Van de Kamps ones, I like the sourdough ones the best, they have more flavor.

Tomorrow I'll run out and have to buy more. :(

Kidhuman
02-10-2007, 12:02 AM
You guys do know that recipe was basically invented by 1960s teenage girls and have been a teenage girl staple ever since, right?

That must be why they were such cheap dates

mabudonicus
02-10-2007, 09:56 AM
You guys do know that recipe was basically invented by 1960s teenage girls and have been a teenage girl staple ever since, right
Whatcha tryin to say here, JT???

Silly Tricks, mini-pizzas are for MEN!!!!!
:beard: :mebs: Isobaws&

JediTricks
02-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Mini-pizzas are the tool of the evil teenage girl horde as they insipidly sit on their beds and giggle and chat on the phones with their friends. Teenage girls are the real threat!!!

:p

El Chuxter
02-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Until they're 18, and then they're legal.

QLD
02-11-2007, 11:06 PM
SO, I plan on posting a review of Magnum XL condoms soon. Thanks for the idea Tycho. ;)

Tycho
02-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Cool QLD. Do they issue Ron Jeremy autographed ones?

QLD
02-12-2007, 11:10 AM
You have to trade in Magnum Points for them. It works like the old G.I. Joe Flag Point system.

Tycho
02-12-2007, 11:52 AM
That makes sense: you should get points for each time you score!