PDA

View Full Version : How come people are articulate and can communicate here vs. MySpace?

Tycho
02-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Ever go on MySpace and there are people posting (of all ages - but alarmingly noticeable are older folks in their 40's or so) who cannot spell, punctuate, or effectively say whatever it is they mean?

Come over here, or on the Transformers website I post at, and people write complete sentences, we usually spell things correctly, and can punctuate sentences. While that might've been boring in grammar school, it makes us all look intelligent here.

I know that on MySpace you have a lot more users:

Some are non-native English speakers who might not even come from English speaking backgrounds
Many are youngsters who just haven't had enough grammar school classes yet or had it drillled into them how important it is to be able to express themselves in text

But what is the excuse for 40 year plus adults who can't communicate and are trying to establish themselves as having some political wisdom or knowing something about religion they want to influence everyone else with?

Seriously, it looks like the dumb typing for the dumb.

DarkArtist
02-08-2007, 09:33 AM
I've noticed this too but have tried to ignore it. I rarely if ever post on the site and maybe have a new blog entry every now and then. I can't even remember the last time I logged in to the site. However, I recently recieved an email from one of my friends stating that someone learned my password and started posting all kinds of crap in my name.
Basically I had to change my password but now the system doesn't recognize the new password at times and denies me access to my own page.

Slicker
02-08-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm on a couple of other forums and that utterly grinds me. They'll make an entire Tychoesque post but it'll be one big f-ing sentence with no punctuation. They then get upset because you don't get what the hell they're saying.

I swear that 90% of my posts on one site is simply quoting a person and fixing there spelling and grammar.

El Chuxter
02-08-2007, 10:19 AM
I swear that 90% of my posts on one site is simply quoting a person and fixing their spelling and grammar.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

I hate forumites (none here, thankfully) who do nothing but jump into a conversation, insult someone in a very juvenile manner, and then end the post with something like "buuuuuuuuuuuurn, got u good!" And those idiots who have to post in weird styles, like all green with reverse capitalization, and have nothing to say except ridiculous claims about what they've done with your mom (or dad).

QLD
02-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I go to plenty of forums where you see that. I mean, does it really save you time to type "h8" "u" and "wuz?" Jesus...

Slicker
02-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Sonuvabi**h! At least everyone else on the other forums is too stupid to realize something like that...:stupid:

Yeah, I go to plenty of forums where you see that. I mean, does it really save you time to type "h8" "u" and "wuz?" Jesus...It would honestly take me longer since I'm not good at all with typing numbers without looking and to wuz I actually had to think about it. Usually when I type I don't think about typing the word, it just flows.

Another thing is when people type in that ignorant ebonics. I can't even speak like that let alone type like that.

mabudonicus
02-08-2007, 10:45 AM
I notice it most on IM exchanges- most of the folks I "speak" to, they type like they talk, and I do the same- I actually use words and pace them according to message, and try to use words that are prety much "common useage"....

Oddly, some folks have insanely erratic patterns which have NO PLACE in actual discussion, and as such are nearly impossible to communicate with.

And as for myspace, I sort of immediately HATE any page with any "jargon" on it and discount the user as a poser at the LEAST... I'm all for individuality, to be sure, but having to have your own "language" (actually more accurately "retarded subset of a perfectly good language") to distinguish you from everyone else, you're just plain trying TOO hard to suck, in my view at least :ducks: :beard: Isobaws&

DarthQuack
02-08-2007, 10:57 AM
I find myself very nit-picky when typing in either IM's or on forums. I try to put that English I took in school to some good use if I can.

figrin bran
02-08-2007, 11:02 AM
who r u callin r tick u lit?

Kidhuman
02-08-2007, 11:05 AM
U all suk. l8r 2 u all

sith_killer_99
02-08-2007, 11:59 AM
n u r all yy 4 me!;)

Tycho
02-08-2007, 12:10 PM
I can't even understand that last post (I think it's a first for Sith-Killer who's normally very articulate).

I don't text message. I hate typing on anything smaller than a Natural Keyboard (hate my laptop keyboard too, so I plan on buying a USB plug in "Natural" that I can carry with me in my laptop's backpack if I start using it more frequently than my desktop).

So I don't know: but does abbreviating save any COSTS (such as by the character) for text messages on cell phones? Or does it just save some of the frustration I'm experiencing?

Do kids adapt to that and start writing school papers like that (in Cyber-Language)?

sith_killer_99
02-08-2007, 12:12 PM
And you are all, too wise for me!;)

Slicker
02-08-2007, 12:38 PM
So I don't know: but does abbreviating save any COSTS (such as by the character) for text messages on cell phones? Or does it just save some of the frustration I'm experiencing?
It doesn't cut cost but it does cut down the number characters (obviously) since a text can only have a certain number of them before it turns into 2 messages. I think I can have up to 160 characters per text. Anything over that turns it into 2 separate ones.

LTBasker
02-08-2007, 01:00 PM
I can see some reasoning for it, on myspace it's more of a place to let loose and joke around with friends and so they don't worry about the way they're presenting themselves. On message boards that have more serious conversations it's obvious that something like that wouldn't be a very good way to express yourself, so people with decency make more effort to make themselves comprehendible.

The ones that type like monkeys humping a typewriter are usually pretty similar and have no respect for the people they are bugging.

When it comes to text messages, I believe if you can't say it in the amount of space they give you then it's bloody time to call'em! Or send a mobile email! Or if they can't answer the phone and talk then leave a voice mail! Theres so many options that these people that HAVE to shorten everything down should be slapped for trying to insist it's because of limited text space.

Insanity I tell you!

I don't text message. I hate typing on anything smaller than a Natural Keyboard (hate my laptop keyboard too, so I plan on buying a USB plug in "Natural" that I can carry with me in my laptop's backpack if I start using it more frequently than my desktop).

To the thinkgeek!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/

This does appear to be smaller than a keyboard, but it's so scifi I want one for myself! It's even wireless. :crazed:

Or for a fullsize keyboard...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/5a7f/

Tycho
02-08-2007, 01:34 PM
To Basker:

Thanks for sharing. Those are cool developments in technology.

The laser keyboard brings out my reservations. I don't know how it works. However, when I type, the shadows of my hands cover much more than just the letters I'm typing. I don't know if that could work for me. Another thing is it is not a Natural Keyboard layout and I wouldn't want my arms held at right angles or anything even trickier to use that laser device. In short, I'm not sold on it. I'd have to try it in a demonstration, but I'm not optimistic.

The roll-up keyboard seems as if it could easily be re-manufactured into a Natural Keyboard (ergonomic) shape, and that would be of value to me. I'm not sure if Microsoft alone has a patent on ergonomic keyboards, but they are so comfortable to use. As I type, my elbows are on my soft leather chair's armrests, and I have an extra pillow on my seat to support my back. In short, I'm pretty comfortable, and my hands have this large base attached to the keyboard under the [Space Bar] to rest upon and I don't have to lift them at all to reach my most frequently used keys. As a result, I am incredibly fast on my keyboard.

15,000,000 strokes through? I'm not sure that warranty would cover someone like me who can't shut up about Mouse Droids, insects taking over the earth, and analyzing my own weirdest dreams - let alone the food product reviews. :crazed:

Phantom-like Menace
02-08-2007, 02:43 PM
This site is exceptional for more than just punctuation and grammar, but you are correct, and I never really thought about it before you brought it up.

Just the general attitude and maturity of ninety-nine percent of the people who post here are exceptional. Even when I flat disagree with people here--even when we argue long and hard about it--I see no reason to assume I couldn't hang out with them and enjoy their company if I met them in the real world. It's a credit to the general members and staff members that a site anyone can sign up for is made up of such a high percentage of great people.

2-1B
02-08-2007, 09:19 PM
I have never and will never post on MySpace forums.

stillakid
02-08-2007, 10:08 PM
I are a college student.

stillakid
02-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Also seems like a good opportunity to remind people that it is sepArate, not sepErate. JFC, how hard is that to remember?

CaptainSolo1138
02-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Also seems like a good opportunity to remind people that it is sepArate, not sepErate. JFC, how hard is that to remember?Truth be told, I was guilty of this offense until you posted that thread a year or so ago. Now when ever I write "separate" I see the capital "A" in the middle. lol

I have never and will never post on MySpace forums.Actually, I refuse to post in most forums, let alone just MySpace. People are usually rude to newbs, regardless of how valid their opinion is.

JEDIpartner
02-09-2007, 08:49 AM
I think I'm quite articulate in both arenas. *shrug*

2-1B
02-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Actually, I refuse to post in most forums, let alone just MySpace. People are usually rude to newbs, regardless of how valid their opinion is.

They can't all be as friendly as Iggy Pop. :)

Luuuuuuke
02-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Actually, I refuse to post in most forums, let alone just MySpace. People are usually rude to newbs, regardless of how valid their opinion is.

Star Wars forums are pretty crappy toward newbs. You practically don't exist. People just "talk" over your posts. It's not the best vibe.

I don't know about too many other forums. I don't do MySpace and the only other forum I post at is a Lord of the Rings forum, which isn't too busy right now, naturally, but it has a very, very nice vibe about it. They're very pleasant toward new people.

Tycho
02-11-2007, 12:20 AM
Star Wars forums are pretty crappy toward newbs. You practically don't exist. People just "talk" over your posts. It's not the best vibe.

I try to never do that. If I see someone's screen name I've never seen before, I welcome them. If I disagree with them, I sometimes bite my tongue as I don't want to jump on someone who just walked in the door.

InsaneJediGirl
02-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Most forums are pretty much against new members, I think its some sort of subconscious hazing :)

Back to topic, I cant stand when people use a million little abbreviations or purposely misspell words like "boi", "wuz ^" , "h8tr" and the like. Just type the word!!! Or when people tYpE lIkE tHiS. Whats the purpose? To show how dumb you actually are. I think Myspace has more of this because its a bunch of dumb kids that should be studying rather than "inventing" something they think is a actual word. ;) Luckly, I dont encounter this often as everyone I communicate on the net types like they speak for the most part.

Blue2th
02-11-2007, 10:57 AM
I post here because well, I collect action figures and other toys. Also being an adult, there are alot of good discussions going on here. Sure sometimes they ignore you, or are snarky, but for the most part people are cool here.

Tycho
02-11-2007, 11:33 AM
I post here because well, I collect action figures and other toys. Also being an adult, there are alot of good discussions going on here. Sure sometimes they ignore you, or are snarky, but for the most part people are cool here.

Well, that's part of the general topic, Blue2th: here at SSG we really don't have a problem. Even when people feel they need a little more attention and act obnoxious or silly, they post articulately and pretty much spell things correctly and type normally. This enables others to participate and still respects the other board members.

Attitude issues can be very different from apparent lack of education or just a general laziness to capitalize and punctuate. And after a while, we learn to recognize each other's personalities and can also tell when someone is just breaking down for a need for attention (or to be suspended from the forums for a day or so). When I get bored, I'll post crazy myself. But I don't type so no one can understand me and I suspect that even if I post:

"Pink whales that fly are stealing hubcaps from cars and hiding them at a secret base on the moon," people might be able to tell by the grammar and spelling that the post was calculated and not as random as it tries to appear to be.

By contrast, often forum posts full of spelling and grammar errors on other forums (especially MySpace) make the poster appear very uneducated, uncultured etc.

Meanwhile, SSG is a toy site populated mostly by adults. One expects maturity might be lacking - but not education or intellectual development.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program chronicling pink whales that fly...

scruffziller
02-11-2007, 11:55 AM
The worst one that I cannot stand is placing "no" for "know".:rolleyes:

CaptainSolo1138
02-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Star Wars forums are pretty crappy toward newbs. You practically don't exist. People just "talk" over your posts. It's not the best vibe. .Did somebody say something?

:p

I agree with the "talking over" part. Even having close to 2,000 posts I still feel that way here. That's why I tend to shy away from most topics here within the actual realm of Star Wars. I'm willing to bet that 75% of my posts her have nothing to do with SW at all. On top of the "feeling ignored" aspect, the movie and toy threads tend to be extremely repetitive ("I like this!", "I hate this!", "You suck for hating it!", "No, you suck for liking this!", etc., etc.).

Kidhuman
02-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Me no artik-u-late goodly? I not no dat

Slicker
02-11-2007, 01:18 PM
The worst site for n00bs is anotheR Site. If you don't have 7,000 posts and suck up to a certain someone then you're opinion doesn't matter. I got into an internet fight with someone on there and, although I had been there longer, he had more posts so therefore he felt he could call me the "newb". He didn't know who he was messin with though and several other members from here went down in a blaze of glory with me.

HAW!

2-1B
02-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Did somebody say something?

:p

I agree with the "talking over" part. Even having close to 2,000 posts I still feel that way here. That's why I tend to shy away from most topics here within the actual realm of Star Wars. I'm willing to bet that 75% of my posts her have nothing to do with SW at all. On top of the "feeling ignored" aspect, the movie and toy threads tend to be extremely repetitive ("I like this!", "I hate this!", "You suck for hating it!", "No, you suck for liking this!", etc., etc.).

Don't listen to this guy, he's a newb troll who is just here to start trouble.
Look at how few posts he has compared to me. I obviously no know better.

I saw him talking trash about Anna Nicole on MySpace, just ignore him.

Lord Malakite
02-11-2007, 10:13 PM
I notice it most on IM exchanges- most of the folks I "speak" to, they type like they talk, and I do the same- I actually use words and pace them according to message, and try to use words that are prety much "common useage"....

I beg to differ. I probably type better (and more frequent) than how I actually talk. I bet Guyute could back me up on that.:D

CaptainSolo1138
02-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Don't listen to this guy, he's a newb troll who is just here to start trouble.
Look at how few posts he has compared to me. I obviously no know better.

I saw him talking trash about Anna Nicole on MySpace, just ignore him.Don't listen to this guy. He likes Aerosmith and "The Office", two fads that will never take off.

El Chuxter
02-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Yeah, like that "Iggy Pop" guy. What's that stuff he sings? Dunk? Klunk? Whatever, it will never last, either.