PDA

View Full Version : Bantha Rerelease TRU.com 3/25/07 (merged)

Kidhuman
02-09-2007, 10:38 AM
here it is (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2525497)

JEDIpartner
02-09-2007, 10:43 AM
"Stae Wars"? Typing a little fast, weren't they? LOL

Man... I'd love to have one but that is SO expensive!

Kidhuman
02-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah the price is got me, but I should have a 50 dollar gift card coming soon, so I might get this with that

El Chuxter
02-09-2007, 10:55 AM
$44.99? :eek:

I got my first for around $25-$30, and my second for $7.

Kidhuman
02-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I'll give ya 3.50 for the second one(and porkins)

El Chuxter
02-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Dude, I need two Banthas! Banthas rock!!

Slicker
02-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Even if it's just a repack it'll still look good. The original, even with the real hair, was quite accurate. If anything it may have been just a bit undersized but only by about an inch or two.

I'll probably get one (or have someone else get me one).

JON9000
02-09-2007, 11:56 AM
I really like the POTF2 Bantha. It was one of the best of the early modern line. $45 though? Sheesh. I thought TRU was all about $20 price points.

JEDIpartner
02-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Oh, I agree! I think it was a beautiful piece but... :eek: on the price!!

Ji'dai
02-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Ouch. I'd like to have a second one but not at that price. Wish I'd bought another during the POTF2 days now.

Kidhuman
02-09-2007, 01:55 PM
I really like the POTF2 Bantha. It was one of the best of the early modern line. $45 though? Sheesh. I thought TRU was all about $20 price points.

Tell that to the Dagobah X-wing and the TIE fighter

DarkArtist
02-09-2007, 02:49 PM
unless I can find a decent priced one on ebay it looks like I'll have to either pass or pay the hefty $45.00 price tag at TRU.

Kidhuman
02-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Does anyone have codes for free shipping or anything for their website? I just got my $50 dollar gift card today

mtriv73
02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Looks like the Bantha will be coming out again after all and it will be a Toys R us exclusive. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2525497

For $45 I think I'll stick with my old.

Jargo
02-09-2007, 04:36 PM
what's Stae Wars? and it depends on the tusken raider included I think. if it's the old POTF2 version then no thanks. if it's a new one on a par with the vintage saga one then that's cool. I have two bantha's already though so doubt I'd buy this unless it's different in some way.

AmanaMatt
02-09-2007, 05:10 PM
what's Stae Wars? and it depends on the tusken raider included I think. if it's the old POTF2 version then no thanks. if it's a new one on a par with the vintage saga one then that's cool. I have two bantha's already though so doubt I'd buy this unless it's different in some way.

I agree, I love the one Bantha I have, but this feels $10 too much; they better have a very nice looking pack-in Tusken to go with it.

TheDarthVader
02-09-2007, 05:22 PM
If the bantha is different then I will take two...if not then NO THANKS. I already have two banthas that I am quite pleased with and do not need four of the same banthas. The price is too high IMO. I already have 6 loose VOTC tuskens.

Slicker
02-09-2007, 05:32 PM
*cough*alreadybeencovered (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=34178)*cough*

;)

Mad Slanted Powers
02-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Is this an exclusive? If so, I'll need to order it if I want it because the TRU here closed.

Kidhuman
02-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Yes it is an exclusive

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Damn shizam, $45 is a little steep, but I didn't get the original Bantha so I'll probably pick this one up if it still looks good. I hope they include the VTSC Tusken for that price.

abell748
02-10-2007, 06:32 AM
I will most likely get one, but crap can TRU have an exclusive thats not way over-priced? I think that as long as it is not AT-AT sized they slap the $45 price tag on everything else they get as exclusives.

jedi master sal
02-10-2007, 10:13 AM
I will most likely get one, but crap can TRU have an exclusive thats not way over-priced? I think that as long as it is not AT-AT sized they slap the $45 price tag on everything else they get as exclusives.

Ain't that about the truth!

I have two or three from POTF2. I won't need this one. I have several VOTC Tusken as well. So unless there is something ultra outrageuos we haven't seen before, like Krayt Dragon bones as a pack-in...it's a pass for me high price or no.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Maybe this one will come with some poodoo.

I don't have a bantha, so I'll probably get one.

Jargo
02-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Apparently those are 'Schinga' bones not Krayt dragon bones. According to certain sources in the know, the skeleton resembles that of a limbless snake like creature not the huge lumbering form of a lizard like creature. I believe there are drawings of a 'Schinga' in a recent comic.

Old Fossil
02-10-2007, 12:20 PM
These make for a stunning display... I have 2 of the POTF2 ones, to go with my Tusken warband.

That being said, there is no reason for this set to be over twenty bucks. The bantha has limited articulation (it basically just stands there, like it did in ANH), and even with a VTSC Tusken pack-in, it just ain't a $45 set.

It should include 2 VTSC Tuskens and a Tusken female at that price, at least.

El Chuxter
02-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Apparently those are 'Schinga' bones not Krayt dragon bones. According to certain sources in the know, the skeleton resembles that of a limbless snake like creature not the huge lumbering form of a lizard like creature. I believe there are drawings of a 'Schinga' in a recent comic.

Then this is going to be one of those things where various EU sources differ. Not that there's not enough contradictory info on Sarlaacs and Krayyt Dragons already. :rolleyes:

Battle Droid
02-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Pic...

From, http://www.mousedroid.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2188

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/mse6/forum/bantha.jpg

El Chuxter
02-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Looks custom. Why would Hasbro show the elephant's eyes through the fur covering?

Slicker
02-11-2007, 09:54 PM
And why make it from AOTC? I don't recall seeing 'em in AOTC.

It's not bad looking though. Kinda stumpy...(no Slicker's mom jokes)

Mad Slanted Powers
02-11-2007, 10:14 PM
It would certainly help explain the price. Bantha and accessories, three Tuskens and a Massiff.

Slicker
02-11-2007, 10:16 PM
It would certainly help explain the price. Bantha and accessories, three Tuskens and a Massiff.Which, if you ask me, are unnecessary. Most people want just a Bantha and a rider. Not another Tusken, a female one, and the Massiff. They must have extras lying around from the AOTC days.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-11-2007, 10:36 PM
There is another pic in that Mousedroid thread and it looks like the box is sitting against the mirror above a sink in a bathroom. So, maybe it isn't authentic.

tagmac
02-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Glad I got this years back when it was first released. No need for another one, especially at the higher price.

plasticfetish
02-11-2007, 11:58 PM
And why make it from AOTC? I don't recall seeing 'em in AOTC.

It's not bad looking though. Kinda stumpy...(no Slicker's mom jokes)
Huh? When Anakin killed all of those Tuskens. (...and here's nothing funny about your mom.)

-----

Me? I dig this thing. I skipped the first one for no good reason, and like this little set very much. I don't like the price, but it's a nice display piece and I may just pop for it anyway.

El Chuxter
02-12-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm telling you guys, it's not real.

First, I don't believe there were any Banthas in AOTC.

Second, though I see a couple of twist-ties, there aren't nearly enough to be a legit Hasbro release.

Third, the Tusken female has no child, but the POTJ Tusken has a Massiff.

Fourth, why is the box's background green?

Fifth, why would Hasbro take an existing mold that's been out of use for almost a decade and completely re-tool the eyes to look like the cheap Bantha costume used in ANH that shows the elephant's eyes and part of her face?

Sixth, how is this piece, not yet released in the US, sitting on someone's sink with a bunch of toiletries?

Seventh, I may be wrong, but I believe "Tusken Raider" is a registered trademark, not a trademark.

It's a very nice custom. But I seriously doubt it's a real deal.

Slicker
02-12-2007, 12:07 AM
Huh? When Anakin killed all of those Tuskens.I was talkin' about the Bantha. I know they Tuskens were in AOTC but I don't recall seeing the Bantha tied up anywhere.

plasticfetish
02-12-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm telling you guys, it's not real.I'm willing to bet that you could be right, but...

First, I don't believe there were any Banthas in AOTC.Do you really think that would stop Hasbro?

Second, though I see a couple of twist-ties, there aren't nearly enough to be a legit Hasbro release.They've been using those plastic ties more and more. That thing's pretty furry anyway, so I'm not sure what you'd expect to see from those blurry pics.

Third, the Tusken female has no child, but the POTJ Tusken has a Massiff.I dunno... I can see them skipping the Tusken kid for this one.

Fourth, why is the box's background green?Bad photo. I'm seeing some tents, etc. in the background. Maybe on fire?

Fifth, why would Hasbro take an existing mold that's been out of use for almost a decade and completely re-tool the eyes to look like the cheap Bantha costume used in ANH that shows the elephant's eyes and part of her face?Who Hasbro? Retool/paint an old mold? Nahhh. ;) Besides, I don't remember being able to see the Banthas eyes... I don't have the older version to check though.

Sixth, how is this piece, not yet released in the US, sitting on someone's sink with a bunch of toiletries?Same way as always. Some guy pinched a sample from the factory in China, and he's taken a quick cra**y photo of it in the room with the best light. (His terlet.)

Seventh, I may be wrong, but I believe "Tusken Raider" is a registered trademark, not a trademark.I have no idea. Half the friggin' words in the english language have been trademarked by Lucas by now, so...

I was talkin' about the Bantha. I know they Tuskens were in AOTC but I don't recall seeing the Bantha tied up anywhere.

Oh yeah, it was off to the side behind that rock and stuff.

Let me see if I have a photo...

El Chuxter
02-12-2007, 01:53 AM
Who Hasbro? Retool/paint an old mold? Nahhh. ;) Besides, I don't remember being able to see the Banthas eyes... I don't have the older version to check though.

Repainting, yes. Retooling the entire head when it was already accurate? I doubt it.

As for the twist ties, I meant that Hasbro typically uses several times what's visible here. The Massiff doesn't appear to be attached to anything at all other than his leash, which seems really strange to me.

The whole thing just doesn't look right to me at all. I'll be shocked if it's anything more than a very well-done custom.

plasticfetish
02-12-2007, 01:57 AM
All possible, but this thing (I'll stick the photo below, because I'm tired of digging for it) is probably not a final version. If it's a custom, I can't see someone shooting a pic of it in his bathroom.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-12-2007, 01:59 AM
Same way as always. Some guy pinched a sample from the factory in China, and he's taken a quick cra**y photo of it in the room with the best light. (His terlet.)Yes, if it is real, I was thinking something like that as well. I still want to get a bantha, and wouldn't mind getting a set like this. I've been meaning to get a second Tusken female, so this would provide that, along with a couple more other Tusken sculpts.

Bosskman
02-12-2007, 04:36 AM
There were atleast 2 Banthas in AOTC. You see them when Padme's ship lands in the docking bay from above. They are without any harnesses if I remember. Naked Banthas. The pic looks like a mockup. The eyes look stupid that way. I'll get one if they fix it.

JON9000
02-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Toys R Us has gotten by with some pretty insane prices for Star Wars exclusives, but around these parts, they always sell out at full price, so more power to them. I really can't see it with this toy, however.

That being said, I love Banthas.

My TRU has been empty since Christmas.

Old Fossil
02-12-2007, 12:30 PM
That Bantha looks like it has a bad perm.

Rogue II
02-12-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm glad I got the Bantha the first time around...on clearance, even.

Jargo
02-12-2007, 06:37 PM
The bantha fur is just fun fur glued on badly on the POTF2 version. the long straight fur works fine at that scale. the fur in that pic up there looks like a tatty old piece of a sheepskin coat from the 1970's. And yeah the eyes are too exposed. the addition of two poorly sculpted Tuskens and a non posable Massif don't justify the price at all.

I'm just thinking, if it's 45 dollars to you that means *mental gears grind* it'll cost us 45 pounds which is roughly 90 dollars. that inclused sales tax though.
how much will it cost you guys with sales tax?

Kidhuman
02-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Roughly $50 dollars MDP

Jargo
02-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Hmmmmmm. Interesting. I just checked r2dtoys.com and they got it listed thus:
£35.00
$66.50
€50.75

plasticfetish
02-12-2007, 07:34 PM
how much will it cost you guys with sales tax?Sales tax? What's sales tax? ;)

Jargo
02-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Woah! just saw the hi-res pics over at that other site with the initials 'GH' and man that thing sucks. looks even more like an old piece of carpet wrapped around a trunkless elephant now. If hasbro release that thing looking like that then surely it'll just rot on the shelves. the loose picture makes it look the worst.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Someone seriously needs to take a comb to that. It looks like they literally put a rug over the bantha and cut holes around the eyes.

If it ends up looking better, then this could potentially be a nice set. They also need to do something about that Tusken rider's giant cape.

jedi master sal
02-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Here's a direct link to the photo of this set:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/mse6/forum/bantha.jpg

I'm glad to find out it's not just a Bantha and a rider. You get two male Tuskens, a female Tusken, one of their "dogs"-forget it's name right now.

I actually don't at all mind the scraggly hair on this one. I'd actually expect to see that more in a desert. I don't mine the eyes either. Seems those are a closer representation to the movie one than the POTJ release.

I may just go ahead and get on of these sets.

JEDIpartner
02-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Still too expensive. I don't need those extra Tuskens. :(

Dark Marble
02-14-2007, 02:51 PM
I really like this set! There is a lot of character to the bantha. I probably will not pick this one up as my Tusken camp is pretty strong but if I come across it in my travels I might be tempted. I am glad Hasbro is listening and getting these older beasts back out there. Now maybe a sandtrooper squad with dewback???

Old Fossil
02-14-2007, 04:05 PM
I really like this set! There is a lot of character to the bantha. I probably will not pick this one up as my Tusken camp is pretty strong but if I come across it in my travels I might be tempted. I am glad Hasbro is listening and getting these older beasts back out there. Now maybe a sandtrooper squad with dewback???

NO MORE SANDTROOPERS, PLEASE!!!...

Unless the Dewback they come with is super-articulated, that is...

dindae
02-14-2007, 04:41 PM
At this point I this it is a pass. If I wanted a grubby Bantha I would hit garage sales or a well loved auction on ebay. The pack ins are repacks so nothing for me there. I can see why this is $45 but I'm glad I don't feel pulled to pick it up.

Jargo
02-14-2007, 05:19 PM
what i don't get is that the original bantha was widely accepted as a hot piece of toy. the fur was fine the colour of the fur was fine and besides having a better fit to the fur on the plastic body to allow the legs more movement (yes they're swivel jointed at the hips) you couldn't really top it unless the fur was rooted like on a dolls head.

what they've done here is taken a good toy and downgraded it. I'm hoping these really are only test shot pics. because if the bantha hits shelves with that mangey looking fur sloppily cut around the eyes and hanging like a wet dog with with rabies on the rest of the body it's not going to sell anywhere near as well as the original release.

the point is people wanted a re-release of that same original bantha not a version that looks like a cheap bootleg.

the SA tusken rider is cool rather than the original rider but there was no need to add in the other tuskens. especially not that POTJ tusken yet again. just the bantha and rider would have sold it. A re-issue of the old Bantha extant. Not the demiwave permed hair "Fashion hair Bantha!"™ that this appears to be.

JEDIpartner
02-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Amen, sista!!!!

Kidhuman
02-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Pricing figuring on the Bantha

Bantha: 20 bucks
VTSC Tusken: 10 bucks
2 Tusken figs: 5 each(10 total)
Window Boxing: 5 bucks.

Still aint worth it to me.

Old Fossil
02-15-2007, 10:20 AM
I suck at math, but you could halve those dollar amounts, KH, and then
mark up the price by 50%, which seems to be automatic for TRU Star Wars exclusives these days.

Kidhuman
02-15-2007, 11:53 AM
I was giving you the retail value of all the figures sold in the package with their original release.

TheDarthVader
02-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Here is some more "figuring" of the numbers from yours truely...this is what the price point should be based on retail price

Bantha $20 does not have to have own packaging -$5 = $15
VOTC Tusken $10 does not have to have own card -$3 =$7
POTJ Tusken Raider $6 does not have to have own card -$2=$4
Saga Lady Tusken $6 does not have to have own card -$2= $4
window box with frills and glitter and a bunch of clear rubber bands=$5

TOTAL=$35...would be more like it...what do you think? Those may be retail prices but we are not getting specific cards/bubbles since this thing is packaged all together so I subtracted because the overall material are less than if you package all of those figures separately.

BlueSnags
02-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Hey guys,

Bantha is up for pre-order on TRU.com right now - Buy one, get one free.

Just ordered two for $45 (plus shipping)!!!!

Mad Slanted Powers
02-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Hey guys,

Bantha is up for pre-order on TRU.com right now - Buy one, get one free.

Just ordered two for $45 (plus shipping)!!!!Cool deal. I went ahead and ordered two as well.

mtriv73
02-18-2007, 07:53 PM
I ordered the large grey TIE fighter (which I wanted anyway) and added the Bantha as the free item. I figure both of those are worth $22.50 plus shipping. I'm glad I passed at $45 though.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Based on the e-mail I received from TRU after I placed the order, it looks like the release date for the Bantha is 3/25.

Kidhuman
02-19-2007, 05:48 AM
Based on the e-mail I received from TRU after I placed the order, it looks like the release date for the Bantha is 3/25.

The title of the thread didnt give that away? :P :beard:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-19-2007, 09:14 AM
The title of the thread didnt give that away? :P :beard:
Well, how about that?

Mad Slanted Powers
03-28-2007, 01:03 AM
Well, 3/25 arrived and that evening I got an e-mail about the order, but it didn't say it was shipping. Today, I did get an e-mail saying it shipped. So, the two I ordered should be arriving soon.

BlueSnags
03-28-2007, 01:05 AM
Mine are on the way - scheduled to be delivered on 4/2.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-01-2007, 03:09 PM
anybody seen this at an actual TRU store? i've been checking at my local TRU's for a week or so now and nothing. The TRU nearest me said they're getting in three trucks in this week, so i guess i'll check again. Just curious. :lipsrsealed:

stillakid
04-19-2007, 07:54 AM
My two arrived yesterday. Cool set. Not too crazy about the wigged out hair on this version. The original was far better. Somebody at Hasbro obviously has a fixation for the shaggy 70s haircuts the kids are sporting these days.

But overall, it's nice to be able to add a couple more of these beasts to my collection. I have always regretted only getting one back in the day.

BlueSnags
04-19-2007, 11:52 AM
The "brown" version Bantha was sitting on the shelf at Burbank TRU yesterday. I ended up picking it up (have the "light" version from TRU.com's BOGO sale). It looks very different from the lighter version - pretty cool variant.

JEDIpartner
04-19-2007, 12:15 PM
I haven't seen this at all. The TRUs up here have no new figures other than the Vader/Coin Album. They are sitting on tons of Hailfires, Tanks, TIEs, and JSFs and a couple AT-ATs. It's really pathetic.

jonthejedi
04-29-2007, 04:11 AM
No sight of this BP at retail around here, either. I'm beginning to feel like ordering online for this one...except you never know what kinda shape it's gonna be in when it arrives.

stillakid
04-29-2007, 06:04 AM
No sight of this BP at retail around here, either. I'm beginning to feel like ordering online for this one...except you never know what kinda shape it's gonna be in when it arrives.

Mine came in great shape. They both were a little hungry, but I fed them a monkey-faced Leia and that seemed to perk them up a bit. I've also heard that Jawa Stew gives them a nice shiny coat.

jedi master sal
04-29-2007, 07:45 AM
There were about 12 sets at my local TRU last night.
Passed on them all. If they clearance, cool. Otherwise, this was an easy pass for me.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Finally hit the Dayton, OH area! Got the brown version and i'm very very pleased! :thumbsup:

jjreason
04-29-2007, 12:49 PM
No mention of anyone finding them up here in Canada yet. Shocker. :rolleyes: