PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question: RUSH

bobafrett
02-11-2007, 11:15 PM
This Canadian trio has been rocking the airwaves for a great many years now. They single handly pulled me out of my "talk radio" days, when Rock was to loud. A friend introduced me to Geddy, Alex, and Neil doing "Tom Sawyer". I was hooked. I've seen them many times in concert, and the guys can rock with the best of them. So, what is your favorite album and song? So many to choose from, and so much great music. Here is my favorite at the moment.

Album: Fly by Night

Song: In the End

*Graphic was the wallpaper I used*

El Chuxter
02-12-2007, 12:30 AM
I generally think Geddy Lee should be shot and the band should be all instrumental, but here goes:

Album: 2112

Song: Fly by Night narrowly beats Tom Sawyer

mabudonicus
02-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Album- A Farewell to Kings

Song (from a different album) 2112 ALL OF IT
:beard:Isobaws&

Mad Slanted Powers
02-20-2007, 02:22 AM
Album - Moving Pictures
Song - Tom Sawyer

So many other good songs. "Spirit of the Radio" might be the first Rush song I remember hearing. It was many years later that I heard "Working Man" for the first time. Great tune. "Anthem" is pretty good as well.

2-1B
02-20-2007, 07:37 PM
I'd voluntarily puncture my left ear drum if it meant I never had to hear Geddy's pipes again.

bobafrett
02-20-2007, 10:20 PM
I'd voluntarily puncture my left ear drum if it meant I never had to hear Geddy's pipes again.

Here, let me turn up the volume a little then for you Caesar.......Geddy Lee Rocks!!!!!!

2-1B
02-20-2007, 10:39 PM
what Chux said about GL. :D

CaptainSolo1138
02-20-2007, 11:14 PM
That's what makes "YYZ" such an awesome song. It's Geddy-free.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-20-2007, 11:31 PM
That's what makes "YYZ" such an awesome song. It's Geddy-free.Indeed. Who'd a thunk you could make such a great tune out of Morse code?

CaptainSolo1138
02-21-2007, 07:30 AM
Indeed. Who'd a thunk you could make such a great tune out of Morse code?I've never heard that before. Care to explain?

Blue2th
02-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Hemispheres: Trees. Love that instrumental passage in the middle of the song. Reminds me of old Genesis. The song speaks of the social devide, of which alot of us can relate to. Geddy Lee is the baddest bass player.

mabudonicus
02-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Explanation- YYZ is the global airlines morse code for Toronto, and the song is based on the rhythm of the actual signal (as a Canadian I have the proper clearance to answer that, thank you)

CaptainSolo1138
02-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Explanation- YYZ is the global airlines morse code for Toronto, and the song is based on the rhythm of the actual signal (as a Canadian I have the proper clearance to answer that, thank you)

:beard:Isobaws&OK, I knew that YYZ was the code for Toronto International but had no idea that those were based on morse code. I'll be damned. Which part of the song is based on the rhythm of the signal?

bobafrett
02-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Hemispheres: Trees. Love that instrumental passage in the middle of the song. Reminds me of old Genesis. The song speaks of the social devide, of which alot of us can relate to. Geddy Lee is the baddest bass player.

I loved the Hemisperes album so much, I went to the music store 3 times, each time thinking I didn't own a copy yet, and you got it, I had three copies, all of which I opened before realizing my error. I ended up giving my brother a copy, and my best friend.

Blue2th
02-21-2007, 07:00 PM
I loved the Hemisperes album so much, I went to the music store 3 times, each time thinking I didn't own a copy yet, and you got it, I had three copies, all of which I opened before realizing my error. I ended up giving my brother a copy, and my best friend.
Um, I do that with Star Wars figures. Can't remember how many I bought previously. End up with more than I need........It's fun to see old videos of Rush. You would think that all those extra instruments are dubbed in. Then you see they actually play all of them. All extra arms and even feet (for Taurus synth pedals) are being used. Geddy definitely uses both hemispheres of his brain to play all that, and sing on top of it. Amazing when you think about it.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Y = —.——
Z = ——..

Y Y Z = —.———.————..

CaptainSolo1138
02-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Y Y Z = ....
For some reason I'm totally amazed by that. Its like a music picture or something. Its a good thing I don't partake in illegal drugs or I might rip my skin off in ecstacy. Thanks for posting the visual, MSP!

mabudonicus
02-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, but words failed me LARGE

Music is just like that tho, great use of visuals MSP, most great music is really that simple if you know how to "look" at it (with yer ears.... DAMMIT okay I'll stop now, damn words)

Mad Slanted Powers
02-26-2007, 08:39 PM
They say that those who take music do better in math, but the reverse hasn't been true for me. Maybe if I had taken formal lessons I could have been a musical genius.

arctangent
03-02-2007, 07:55 AM
for me it has to be red barchetta as favourite song and moving pictures as favourite album, although its pretty hard to choose something from a band who have been so consistently good.

the only dodgy album they have ever made is caress of steel!

mabudonicus
03-05-2007, 03:29 PM
darn it Arctangent, you're makin me rethink my choices-

Of the more "modern" rock-radio RUSH, Red Barchetta is possibly THE tune, don't know how I forgot about it- that song is beautiful (don't tell anyone but it kinda chokes me up sometimes)

I always wanted to make a SLICK short video for the song, doing it up exactly like it plays out- for making an action sci-fi tale into a song that is SO listenable, MAN, now I gotta go and spin me some Red Barchetta... MAN, how the HELL did I forget that tune, it's the only real "power rotated" Rush song on local rock radio that I really TRULY dig... (Lakeside Park also kinda gets me a little- the park is about 5 minutes from my house, and I am not too much older than the members who were also locals by and large.... the damn song is EXACTLY the sad sad truth, I've even done all the listed activities and the area has declined to a shocking degree- right now, the water is unswimmable, the beach literally STINKS all summer long and recently some stupid developer has come in to build a 20 STOREY tower to cut off the common folks from what is left of the damn lake there- the area is designated "heritage" and has a 3-storey building limit, which has been waived in since somehow 20 storeys isn't violating that limit by enough to cancel the plans........)

OK back to going to spin that tune :beard:Isobaws&

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-05-2007, 06:44 PM
The only Rush album is Presto, which I got from the library. I haven't listened to it in a while since it was kinda ghey to me (but it was like their 11th album or something so that's understandable).

bobafrett
03-05-2007, 07:43 PM
The only Rush album is Presto, which I got from the library. I haven't listened to it in a while since it was kinda ghey to me (but it was like their 11th album or something so that's understandable).

Gotta start with "moving pictures", then try a little "Fly By Night", and then "Hemisperes".

seanmcfripp
03-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Ok, how the heck did I miss a Rush thread? Let's take care of of business first:

Chux and Caesar, you both know where you can go, and you know where you can shove it. :D

Ok, now with that out of the way, I can brow-beat everyone into submission and make them better Rush fans. How to do it though...

Ah ha, I know! I'll use the time-tested Jeditricks method of listing out all links to past threads where I've rambled on and on about Rush. Actually, it's just one link, and it's a really annoying read, at least the stuff I wrote:

http://www.swcollecting.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=576&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

bobafrett
03-06-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm very happy to hear that they have a new album due out May 1st, titled "Snakes and Arrows". My son went with me to the Rush concert the last time they went through the Chicago area. He quite enjoyed the music of RUSH!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_%28band%29

2-1B
03-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Ok, how the heck did I miss a Rush thread? Let's take care of of business first:

Chux and Caesar, you both know where you can go, and you know where you can shove it. :D

That's fine, I respect your opinion but it doesn't change the fact that:

"I willll choooooose free willllllll"

lol lol lol

I thought Rush was pretty good. The movie about drugs, not the band. :crazed:

mabudonicus
03-07-2007, 11:34 AM
I heard a clip of the lead-off track on that album, sounded pretty good (and I can't for the life of me recall the tune's name)

I the first single should be out like today or something if I remember rightly- check out their official site maybe??

I liked it more than I've liked their last few efforts- they've gotten a tad too "reflective" and maybe a bit musically "onerous" to me- the last couple albums felt like some kind of homework assignments :beard:Isobaws&

seanmcfripp
03-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I thought Rush was pretty good. The movie about drugs, not the band. :crazed:

The only reason anyone even knows about that movie is because EC's Tears in Heaven video ran like 73 times a day for like a year when it came out. I've never seen the movie, but having seen the video as many times as I have, I'm pretty sure it's just Jason Patrick and Jennifer Jason Leigh crying and sweating in a dark room for 2 hours. Aren't they supposed to be NARCs or something?

2-1B
03-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Yeah, but...it's Jason Patric. His dad was in The Exorcist.
Much love.

seanmcfripp
03-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Yeah, but...it's Jason Patric. His dad was in The Exorcist.
Much love.

No 'k'? Ugh, what a douchebag of a last name. Apparently Patric is his middle name, last name Miller. My middle name happens to be Patrick, and you can bet that if I ever drop 'McMahon' and use my middle name as my new last name, it's darned well going to have the 'k.' F you, Jason Patric, you gd'd 'k' phobic butt monkey.

Sincerely,

Sean "Jason Patric is a douchebag" Patrick (formerly McMahon)