PDA

View Full Version : Lost In Space

Tycho
02-12-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm 1 hr. 15 minutes into this film and I felt like pausing and posting.

I'm not really enjoying myself. I'm not disliking it too much either.

Maybe I'm just not in the mood to be watching a movie right now.

I was never a Lost In Space fan of the TV series. I think it may have aired before my time - and while I can't honestly say Star Trek TOS was a great production quality, what I saw of Lost In Space really didn't interest me. There was nothing in it to compare with Captain Kirk, even if he was talking to cardboard half the time. Trek just had great writing.

Well I'm watching the modern 1998 movie with Gary Oldman as Mr. Smith and Heather Graham as Judy. (She is barely doing any acting thus far).

The monkey looks very fake, but is cute nevertheless. I'm sure that is what they were going for though.

Also, some effects, like the Robinson family floating while they engaged their hyperdrive, looked really fake.

I suppose Will is going to build a new robot, their last one being sacraficed to the spiders.

It was a creative way to get them stranded on that planet. I don't know if that's how the old TV show went, or they always got off-world only to get stranded on another.

Some of their technology doesn't look like it jives with other elements: their battle armor / hypernation suits' technology looks so far beyond a ship that needed traditional rockets to launch itself into space. I don't know.

The middle-aged daughter Penny - I can't determine if she is annoying or cute.

The dad and Maj. West seem like capable actors though.

I'll continue watching this in a little while. I needed a break. A really good movie would have kept me engaged.

BTW - I did see this in the theater probably 9 years ago.

Rocketboy
02-12-2007, 12:25 AM
I picked this up in the $5.50 bin a few months ago. I guess I'd call it a guilty pleasure movie.
It was a fun popcorn flick that probably should have been the start of a new tv series, although a series probably wouldn't have been possible in 1998(?).
I used watch the old tv every now and then as a kid when it was on Sci-fi. I loved the robot. Too bad it wasn't a little more like the original in the movie.

Gary Oldman is always a great villain.

Tycho
02-12-2007, 06:52 PM
The last 1/2 hour of this film really makes it all worth it. I finally decided to finish watching this today - totally dug it, and then watched the whole movie over again.

It was so cool that Will would sacrafice his whole chance at using his time machine to save his family in the more recent timeline so that his father wouldn't have to suffer their deaths.

That Dr. Smith got turned into a spider creature was pretty cool as well, though he stayed in character even as the CGI monster. Gary Oldman was a lot of fun in this flick.

The effects were cartoony, but they were supposed to be. It was creatively done to use the latest in special effects for the time, coupled with a purposely fake look. That all came together pretty good.

The guy playing Major West was a little more gritty than the "Ken doll" that I vaguely remember playing him in the old show.

I rented this one because I wasn't sure about it. Now what the heck? If I can buy it cheap, like under $9.99, I'll add it to my DVD collection as soon as I feel like watching it again.

JediTricks
02-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I saw this in theaters, hated it. Way too much money put into production values and not nearly enough put into writing, casting, directing, writing, writing, casting.

Jargo
04-28-2007, 05:10 PM
the acting is atrocious in this movie. worst offender being Matt Le Blanc. though William Hurt is always wooden so no change there. bit of a plodding movie too. If I'd not seen it on TV there's no way I'd have watched it. every review I've ever seen of this movie has slated it. I'd rather watch starship troopers. At least that has an air of intentional plasticity about the acting style. and it has decent action sequences. The only part of LIS I liked was the flight through the exploding planet.

Lord Malakite
05-01-2007, 03:14 PM
I saw this in theaters, hated it. Way too much money put into production values and not nearly enough put into writing, casting, directing, writing, writing, casting.

As Dr. Smith would say: "OH! The pain! The pain! What would you know about production values you bubble headed booby? AGHH! William, protect me from this mechanical monstrosity!":D

Blue2th
05-01-2007, 04:40 PM
I actually have a full set of the Lost in Space action figures, along with two versions of the Robot, as well as the fighter Matt Le Blanc flies in.
Never did get Dr. Smith as the alien, or the Jupiter 2, because it was so expensive at the time. I could probably get them for cheap now. They are in a box in the garage somewhere. (somehow I am reminded of Raiders of the Lost Ark, where it's put in a box and put in a room full of boxes, and lost forever :ninja: )
Anyways, I don't know what posessed me to buy them, though I already had the original TV series Spencer's Gifts Chrome Robot, and Chrome Jupiter 2. (probably in the same box) and the Johnny Lightning LIS.

The movie I thought was pretty good, except for the yellow CGI monkey (Blip?) It looked out of place and fake. They would have been better off using a chimpanzee with antennas.

JediTricks
05-02-2007, 06:43 PM
"Blawp", and for those who don't know, in the original show it was a "Bloop" that was indeed a chimp dressed up as an alien creature.

seanmcfripp
05-16-2007, 09:43 AM
...as well as the fighter Matt Le Blanc flies in.

The Bubble Fighter rocks. It's totally a B-Wing knockoff, but it's a niftly little toy. The sound effects are great, and the weighted, gyroscopic effect works really well. I always wanted the blue version they had showing as a cross-sell on the back of the box, but I'm pretty sure it never actually hit retail. Whatever happened to Trendmasters btw? They were like, everywhere in the late nineties, then they just disappeared.

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Trendmasters ate it on the LiS line and Battlefield Earth (Trendmasters kinda sucked in general as a toymaker) and eventually folded, selling off their assets to Jakks Pacific (who ironically also sucks).