PDA

View Full Version : Why do you put so much effort into garbage...

El Chuxter
02-12-2007, 10:57 PM
...and skip over the stuff we really want?

We've all been begging for years for a small handful of characters to be made (Yarna, Wilrow, Funeral Pyre Vader, Tey How--you can do your April Fool's jokes, but we really do want them), and they're still not even rumors at this point.

And yet, I see this crap (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=20518&cat=5277) from the ToyFair news section.

Why? Are you collectively smoking some white substance you bought from a guy on the corner?

This figure obviously took a lot of effort to produce. But, well, it's stupid. Possibly the stupidest idea in the entire twelve years you've had the line. Yes, I am considering Rocket-Launching R5-D4 and Jabba Glob and Desert Sport Skiff Luke when I say that.

We never asked for a "s***-kicked-out-of-him Vader" figure. It's something that, simply put, couldn't happen. The guy can take on anyone in the galaxy with both hands tied behind his back, except for Obi-Wan, Palpatine, and Luke. Some guy who couldn't get any dates in high school came up with this to show off his CG skills for LucasArts in the vain hopes that this might get some girl to talk to him without laughing.

This is a waste of plastic. Period.

I for one would appreciate getting figures that are based on film characters and actual Expanded Universe characters. Not the wet dream of some retarded videogame designer.

Qui-Long Gone
02-12-2007, 11:12 PM
I think this figure is supposed to be Vader after his meeting with Palpatine just after he gets back from ANH and reports to him "the Death Star got blowd up master"

*I like the figure because it shows the machine of Vader, but I agree, why? Especially when there's other figs we've been begging for time and again?

And when did Rayden become a jedi?

Slicker
02-13-2007, 12:28 AM
I agree that these figures are a vast drain on regular figures. I will admit, however, that the Vader is...actuallygoodlookingforbeinganEUfigure. Phew! Please don't tell anyone though.

I'll wait for the game to come out though before I make a supreme judgment. My semi-supreme judgement though is that these are carp. Especially the "since red is cool black must be just as" Royal Guard.

plasticfetish
02-13-2007, 12:53 AM
I for one would appreciate getting figures that are based on film characters and actual Expanded Universe characters. Not the wet dream of some retarded videogame designer.As much as I can respect how you hate that Vader figure, I can't believe that anyone is still flogging the "why did they make that video game character" dead horse.

The films are done and the big money is coming from video games, so that's the angle that they're playing up. It's not crazy to assume that maybe someone who's willing to cough up $50-$60 for a game, obviously has some disposable income and might be interested in game related toys.

As well, since we're 30 years into this thing, why is it so hard to understand how this toy company wants to push forward with a new-ish idea? I'm actually thrilled to see a little concept diversity for once (aside from Boba Fett on a chopper), because it means that the line will have a longer life, and we'll have a better chance at getting whatever figures we're looking for.

El Chuxter
02-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Diversity, yes.

An entire wave of figures from a game that's not out yet, rather than figures from existing EU sources that we've literally been begging for for years now? No.

Especially not a wussy Vader. C'mon, nothing short of a Rancor driving an AT-AT could do that sort of damage to the Dark Lord. My point is that, game or not, this is stupid. The game designer who came up with this needs to be shot.

And, if they're making these anyway, would it kill them to just give us the stuff we've been begging for instead of more Tatooine Lukes and Bossks?

I'll agree with Slicker that, as incredibly dumb a concept as this figure is, it does look good. And the effort that went into this turd is the real waste.

Rogue II
02-13-2007, 10:55 AM
That is a decent looking figure. I've made it clear that I won't buy EU, video game, or even the majority of prequel figures, so I won't even complain about that. What is getting on my nerves is the number of Darth Vaders Hasbro is pumping out. It is only February, and we know of 4 different carded Vaders and one in a Battlepack. I went to WM this past weekend, and there had to be 20 Vaders still on the pegs. Stop it already.

jedi master sal
02-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Ooh sorry fellas, but I'm going to have to go against the grain here a little. I do agree there are more popular and desireable characters to be made. However this line opens up the possibilities (along with the Fan Choice Darth Revan) to have more video game characters made. The Republic Commando set went over pretty well. Who's to say which media is more popular right now unless we have cold hard fact. Is it books/novel or video games? I can completely understand why Hasbro would go the route of video game characters. At least we "see" these characters. Characters in the books for which we've either never seen or seen different interpretations for are a harder sell. Which Jacen and Jaina to produce for instance?

I still say give them some time. They are making EU in the form of the comic two-packs. So there's something. I'm sure they'll get to them sooner or (more likely) later.

For now I'm just happy they are still making MOVIE figures. We've got a ton of background characters coming out this year. MANY we never thought would see the light of day.

Cut Hasbro a little slack. They can't just completely cut off the movie characters and opt for all EU be that book or game characters.

I for one am happy about the Vader. Good looking sculpt. I dig the female Imp officer as well as the funky troopers. I WISH they would have made figures for KOTOR at it's height of popularity. By all account, these Force Unleashed figs will be out around the time of the game. That's going to make them decent sellers on two front. Not just we collectors, but gamers who might not otherwise buy figures. (though that seems to be an oddity...)

Anyway, they only way to get the figures we want is to continually bombard them with our desires. So while I'm happy to see these Force Unleashed figures, please by all means keep asking Hasbro for the ones you want. (See I said at the beginning of this post that I would just go against the grain "a little.")

bigbarada
02-13-2007, 01:48 PM
It is silly, but at least it looks to be compatible with the 4" figure line.

The one that REALLY annoys me is the big-breasted Imperial Officegirl. I don't know why, but the Empire just never struck me as an Equal Opportunity organization.:rolleyes:

El Chuxter
02-13-2007, 02:31 PM
They're not, and it's been specifically stated in more EU sources than I can count.

Phantom-like Menace
02-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Now that I'm no longer worried whether or not Hasbro will make certain figures I want, I'm not all that worried when they make them nor what figures they make before they get around to doing so. I can wait patiently and let myself be surprised by cool figures that I wasn't expecting.

DarthBrandon
02-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Now that I'm no longer worried whether or not Hasbro will make certain figures I want, I'm not all that worried when they make them nor what figures they make before they get around to doing so. I can wait patiently and let myself be surprised by cool figures that I wasn't expecting.

Nicely said, I'm the same way now, if they make it, they make it, if not I'm not going to get all hot & bothered about it. Now vehicles is another story Hasbro, make some nice sh#t soon that's close to being somewhat in scale to the figures. The Sith Infiltrator could have been ten times better being a little larger (think Dag X-wing) than it is. This was a half hearted attempt at something that could have been so cool, yet you turned it into a piece of carp. I hope that future vehicles (I.E. AT-TE) get better attention to what the consumers want in their product, if not you will loose another customer here & there until you have none.:sad:

bobafrett
02-13-2007, 05:24 PM
...and skip over the stuff we really want?

We've all been begging for years for a small handful of characters to be made (Yarna, Wilrow, Funeral Pyre Vader, Tey How--you can do your April Fool's jokes, but we really do want them), and they're still not even rumors at this point.

And yet, I see this crap (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=20518&cat=5277) from the ToyFair news section.

Why? Are you collectively smoking some white substance you bought from a guy on the corner?

We never asked for a "s***-kicked-out-of-him Vader" figure. It's something that, simply put, couldn't happen. The guy can take on anyone in the galaxy with both hands tied behind his back, except for Obi-Wan, Palpatine, and Luke. Some guy who couldn't get any dates in high school came up with this to show off his CG skills for LucasArts in the vain hopes that this might get some girl to talk to him without laughing.

I don't know, I kinda like it. It shows that Vader is vunerable. I mean he is in his older years in the figure, so he might have got a butt kicking, but I'd hate to see what's left of the SOB who did that to him.

I for one will be buying that figure.

Kidhuman
02-13-2007, 07:43 PM
This is the bottom line, HAsbro is churning this crap out towards gamers votes. Not every gamer collects action figures and not every action figure collector plays games. If this s*** warms the pegs anything like the H&V stuff did, it could mean demise for the line. Please Hasbro, stop churning out junk like htis or completely disassociate it from the regular line of figures. I want the figers EC listed and many more and if this crap helps kill the line before the movie figures get made, alot of people will be PO'd.

figrin bran
02-13-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't know, I kinda like it. It shows that Vader is vulnerable. I mean he is in his older years in the figure, so he might have got a butt kicking, but I'd hate to see what's left of the SOB who did that to him.

I for one will be buying that figure.

i believe the game is actually set a few years after ROTS. for all our talk about the almighty Vader, let's not forget that a great deal of his power in the OT is augmented by his superb abilities of intimidation. or rather i should say that his powers of intimidation cover up for other areas where he is lacking (can't generate force lightning, limited mobility)

and for all our gripes about more Hans, Tatooine Lukes, Bossks and so forth...how is else is hasbro supposed to develop a younger fanbase? believe it or not, there are kids out there who are interested in SW and haven't had the opportunity to have these figures.

Phantom-like Menace
02-13-2007, 10:27 PM
If this s*** warms the pegs anything like the H&V stuff did, it could mean demise for the line.

The entire Force Unleashed line or just Vader? Because the majority of people who have seen them are sold on them. I doubt another Vader figure on the shelves will kill the line.

I want the figers EC listed and many more and if this crap helps kill the line before the movie figures get made, alot of people will be PO'd.

And if a movie only policy were to kill the line before more EU figures get made, a lot of people will be PO'd. EU has been selling fine by and large. It's been adding to the line, not subtracting.

I wholeheartedly agree with plasticfetish. This type of figure is in demand and will be made, and for the last year or two EU has done nothing but make Star Wars successfully more diverse and interesting to more people. So I find myself wondering how successful EU has to be for everyone to stop lamenting how it's going to kill the line. Should it sell twice as well as movie figures? Three times as well?

Droid
02-13-2007, 10:37 PM
I am pretty happy with what is coming and rumored for 2007. I don't care that they make figures I won't buy, even though there are figures I'd rather have.

I wouldn't even mind waiting longer for Yarna. I just want Hasbro to say, "We are making this figure. It will happen." At this point they should tell us, "We will be making everything that was in the Toyfare Poll, even dead Padme, even if they are exclusives and may cost a bit more. We know Yarna is the most desired figure from the films and she will be available in 2008. They need to say that." STOP saying you're just not sure about her.

For Pete's sake, just make a new Jabba, with a throne, with an articulated Salacious Crumb, and then have Jabba come with three ladies, a Leia and Oola that can sit on the throne and with Yarna. Make it an exclusive. Charge us more than it should cost. Honestly....

Slicker
02-13-2007, 10:39 PM
The fact is, that EU is carp. They spend all of the R&D time on EU carp yet there are still plenty of OT and PT figures that have yet to be made or even thought of. Make all of that EU carp you want but make the movie figures first since they EU wouldn't be around if not or the Holy Saga.

That's like eating eggs but not chicken. You've gotta give the one that gave birth more credit than the birthee.

Another thing I don't get is how the hell can they make EU figures? They're NEVER seen anywhere (aside from the game ones) so the figures are just someones wet dream of there perfect action figure.

figrin bran
02-13-2007, 11:57 PM
The fact is, that EU is carp. They spend all of the R&D time on EU carp yet there are still plenty of OT and PT figures that have yet to be made or even thought of. Make all of that EU carp you want but make the movie figures first since they EU wouldn't be around if not or the Holy Saga.

That's like eating eggs but not chicken. You've gotta give the one that gave birth more credit than the birthee.

Another thing I don't get is how the hell can they make EU figures? They're NEVER seen anywhere (aside from the game ones) so the figures are just someones wet dream of there perfect action figure.

so anything that is Slicker's opinion = "fact"? :p

so where do the McQuarrie figures fit into all of this? they weren't seen anywhere except sketches so that makes them EU?

it's not as if they're abandoning movie figures. quite the contrary as we're getting long awaited background characters like Elis Helrot, Miiyoom, LIN droid, CZ-4, Umpass Stay.

if you consider everything we saw at toyfair - the first 4 waves of TAC plus the Force Unleashed wave, only that Force Unleashed wave was EU (unless you consider McQuarrie to be EU). when all is said and done and TAC is finished, it'll probably end up something like 85% movie and 15% EU figures. that hardly sounds like the "great EU takeover" that some of you are suggesting :p

El Chuxter
02-14-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm not anti-EU. However, I think characters like Beru Whitesun or Tey How, who play important speaking parts in the films, as well as minor characters that they know we want, like Yarna and more Ewoks, need to be made before they start doing solid waves of EU.

And if they're showing this much love for the videogames and comics, they need to pay some frigging attention to what most EU fans consider most important: the novels.

Hell, if you want to rephrase it, "Why are we getting a second figure from the Holiday Special (which isn't the Bea Arthur we want) instead of a single character from the Ewok movies, which were infinitely better received among fans of all ages?"

bigbarada
02-14-2007, 02:52 AM
They're making Unleashed Battlepacks for this Force Unleashed crap?:stupid:

I'm getting visions of pegs being clogged with non-movie, video game figures for months, because retailers can't tell the difference between the two toy lines.

Remember Shadows of the Empire? We all know what a smashing success and treasured addition to the Star Wars saga that was. :rolleyes:

plasticfetish
02-14-2007, 04:31 AM
I'm sorry, but you guys have issues with the EU (and videogames) in general, so your opinions seem a little skewed.

Phantom-like Menace
02-14-2007, 05:27 AM
I'm getting visions of pegs being clogged with non-movie, video game figures for months

I too had a vision when I walked into [insert name of any retail store here] and saw pegs clogged with movie figures, but I pinched myself and it turned out it was reality.

Blue2th
02-14-2007, 08:12 AM
I for one love this figure. Very creative. Once again better than a new clone from the Umpteenth Battalion. Better than seeing yet another fully dressed version of Vader. Though I liked the recent comic book tie-dye Vader. These characters are a much better waste of plastic than the upcoming "Greatest Hits" Now those are the ones that will clog the pegs. New EU/video game figures will sell, because gaming is hot. What happened to the KOTOR figs though?

figrin bran
02-14-2007, 10:00 PM
I for one love this figure. Very creative. Once again better than a new clone from the Umpteenth Battalion. Better than seeing yet another fully dressed version of Vader. Though I liked the recent comic book tie-dye Vader. These characters are a much better waste of plastic than the upcoming "Greatest Hits" Now those are the ones that will clog the pegs. New EU/video game figures will sell, because gaming is hot. What happened to the KOTOR figs though?

The KOTOR figures - Revan and Malek weren't shown but they are slated for TAC wave 5.

pbarnard
02-15-2007, 03:29 PM
The one that REALLY annoys me is the big-breasted Imperial Officegirl. I don't know why, but the Empire just never struck me as an Equal Opportunity organization.:rolleyes:

My thoughts, but due to the rarity of females in any action figure line, it's always a good shot in the arm for diversity. Imagine the number of people who'll be making Dalaa customs now...

That is the point exactly.

Fine, you do have one single point that but the rest is just opinion. Maybe they should make movie figures first. But the EU is one of the best selling literature series out there boy wizards aside, which says something considered the genre its placed in. More people have stayed with Star Wars over the years because of the EU than they have with toys, and how many of those cross overs do they expect? They want to bring in more and more kids who are the only chance to actually grow the line. They cannot logically assume to have any more crossovers from adults from books, games etc into figures than they already have. The only place where they can grow it is from kids. What are the best selling things in terms of kids? Video games. Star Wars is always said to come next with the caveat that non-video game toys. There are plenty of sources, comics. Or is that not visual? Cover art? Role Playing Games? All of these are sufficiently illustrated. Even in the Q&A's Hasbro said in their preferences it is to do video and comic characters over novels due to the lack of visual references, there still are enough attempts to come to some sort of definitive version of unseen characters. WotC tries to include several EU characters in every set.

And never forget, it is the EU that has created the need for Lucas to invent more imaginative names than Walrusman and Hammerhead for background characters. It has spawned competitions at starwars.com for the databank entries. Also, don't forget that the EU has contributed to the movies with respect to double-bladed lightsaber and setting up backstories that certain characters are badder than their onscreen time implies.

El Chuxter
02-15-2007, 04:18 PM
It has spawned competitions at starwars.com for the databank entries.

Is that a good thing?

Or, should I instead ask, "Have you actually read any of the winners?"

It's nice to know that your $40 a year gets you the privilege of maybe possibly contributing lame backstory to background characters. With fanboys having "real" say in such things, how long until everyone turns out to be a failed Jedi bounty hunting spice merchant shapeshifter?

pbarnard
02-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Is that a good thing?

Or, should I instead ask, "Have you actually read any of the winners?"

It's nice to know that your $40 a year gets you the privilege of maybe possibly contributing lame backstory to background characters. With fanboys having "real" say in such things, how long until everyone turns out to be a failed Jedi bounty hunting spice merchant shapeshifter?

That's the only counter you have? No, but on a related subject that's why all fanfic (both written and customs) suck worse than the EU. Each EU project is given a scope in terms of project and plot to be achieved from Lucas Licensing. Fan Fic people tend to think whatever they want is Star Wars. If that were true, than it would not be a licensed product with strict controls from the Licensing department who say no to a lot of things before they say yes to it. The EU is not as wily nilly as people imagine it; Lucas is a control freak, he wouldn't have it any other way.

El Chuxter
02-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Lucas is a control freak and maintains absolute control. Which is why Boba Fett was really a failed Stormtrooper Journeyman Protector named Jaster Mareel who first ran into Han Solo at the Jubilar Free-For-All, then ran afoul of him several times on Nar Shadaa, but was totally unrecognized by Han several years later when he ran into him again in the Holiday Special. Oh, yeah, and he survived the Sarlaac and is still active in the galaxy about thirty years later even though Lucas repeatedly says he's dead.

Or why IG-88 was sent as an assassin to kill Olag Greck and ran into C-3PO when he was owned by some forgettable character (in a long string of forgettable characters he was owned by somewhere in between Captain Antilles and Captain Antilles--oh, and he saw an A-Wing decades before they were built and ran into Boba Fett a few times himself), years before he supposedly was built by the Intergalactic Banking Clan and attempted to take over the entire galaxy and kill all organic lifeforms by taking over the second Death Star minutes before it was destroyed.

Or why Obi-Wan Kenobi knows his brother's name is Owen and he lives on a farm, despite his knowing nothing about his family, and just happening to have a Padawan whose stepbrother's name is Owen, too, and he leaves the Jedi Order for love but comes back and later his Master almost goes darkside avenging his own true love, though a generation later, similar events will turn Anakin into Vader because love is forbidden among Jedi.

Don't even get me started on the joys of Ken and Trioculus and the Masters of the Dark Side.

Face it. George Lucas doesn't care what goes on in the EU, or even if EU contradicts itself at so many points that it would cause a NORAD computer to explode trying to figure out how the timeline goes.

Funny thing is, I'm in favor of some EU. Even a lot of EU. And that goes for figures, too. But I'd rather have a Deluxe Wuher with Ground-Up Greedo, or a Marriage of Dengar BattlePack with Boba Fett in a tuxedo, or an entire wave of Ho'Din before I'd get S***-Kicked-Out-Of-Him P**** Vader.

bigbarada
02-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Also, don't forget that the EU has contributed to the movies with respect to double-bladed lightsaber

Actually the double bladed lightsaber idea came from Ray Park, since it would give him more opportunities to show off his martial arts skills onscreen.

Assuming that Lucas has this incredibly complex story all laid out in his head really gives the man too much credit. Ep3 proved that he didn't have the prequel storyline all written out in the early 70s. In fact, he couldn't even get consistency between the 3 prequel films, as there are major plot points that just die between films (midichlorians, Sifo-Dyas, etc.). So, how can he possibly keep track of hundreds of novels, comic books and video games?

Rogue II
02-15-2007, 06:20 PM
My thoughts, but due to the rarity of females in any action figure line, it's always a good shot in the arm for diversity. Imagine the number of people who'll be making Dalaa customs now...

Yet they refuse to make Yarna, the Tonnika sisters, and young Beru. Hmmmm.

Isn't the whole point of this thread not to bash EU (which many of us enjoy doing), but to complain about making a new Darth Vader who is severely battle dammaged. Yes, the roughest, toughest, mother lover in the Galaxy aparently gets his butt kicked in a video game. Doesn't that bother you just a little? Not to mention the 1,000 other various Darth Vader figures that have been released in '06 and planned for '07.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Actually, there really isn't too much on screen to suggest that Vader couldn't get roughed up in a battle. In ANH, he beat an old man who pretty much let himself be beat. In ESB, he takes a hit from a young unproven Luke. In ROTJ, Luke ends up beating him. Back in the OT, Anakin gets an arm cut off by Dooku, and both legs cut off by Obi-Wan. He did manage to beat Dooku the second time around.

so he might have got a butt kicking, but I'd hate to see what's left of the SOB who did that to him. My thoughts exactly. Vader looks like that, but he survived.

I don't have a problem with video game figures. The Force Unleashed figures look pretty cool, and perhaps they can help to draw youngsters and gamers into collecting, which will help keep the line going in the absence of movies. The Vintage line died a couple years after ROTJ, and many of those latter figures were secondary or background characters. Some kids like me had grown out of playing with the figures, and without a movie or something to keep the brand visible, it wasn't going to attract many new kids.

Overall, I'm excited about the line this year. A nice mix of core figures, never done before characters, and EU figures. Many of the core figures have something new or different to get people like me to buy another Tatooine Luke. I'd be more concerned about some of the Legends figures pegwarming. Hopefully, new collectors and army builders will keep those figures moving. If things go well, it will keep the line healthy until the new TV shows arrive.

DarkArtist
02-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Not for nothing I'm happy with the offerings for the Force Unleashed Line. As most of you know I am a huge EU supporter and welcome any additions to the line. I think the Vader looks great, the Female Officer, put me down for at least 5, and the Stormtroopers and Royal Guard are definate army builders.

I am happy that Hasbro is tackling new frontiers and giving the fans something more to see then just the same Luke's, Han's and Leia's that we have been getting. Hey Hasbro could have stuck us again with yet another re-release of the ever popular Cantina Han.

El Chuxter
02-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Looking back over this thread, how is it that I suddenly was branded an "EU Hater"?

I've been begging Hasbro for more EU for years. I've read everything I can get my hands on, watched every second of SW TV I can access, and played just about every game offered for a system I own.

But now I say I think Legacy is a stupid idea because it's formulaic drivel, and this Vader is almost as dumb as giving the fanboys (at least those who pay for Hyperspace) the ability to write their lame fanfics and make them official EU, and everyone's ganging up on me as if I'm as anti-EU as Slicker. (Nothing against you, Slick, but you're not known for your love of EU.)

But this line, and the Vader in particular, is silly.

Forget the argument over Vader for the moment. I think it's stupid, and some folks agree and some disagree.

I don't have anything at all against videogame figures. I snatched up Kyle Katarn, the Darktrooper, and Scorch, and they're three of my favorites. I'd kill for, say, Montross or Arden Lynn. I even think the Samurai Jedi from this line is cool.

Sure, I'm passing on Darth Cobra Commander, but that's partly because he's only available on a game that LucasArts was thoughtful enough to not offer on any of my systems, and partly because, well, he's boring. What looks cool on a TV screen when you're fighting some kickarse boss doesn't always mean an interesting action figure, or a decent story. (Cough, S***-Kicked-Out-Of-Him P**** Vader, cough.)

Yes, videogames are big business. And some of the players collect figures.

But look at this whole thing logically for a moment. Sure, a lot of videogame players buy figures. But how many players who collect action figures don't already collect Star Wars action figures? And how many of that small group do you think will be buying figures from this game without any other SW figures to provide context? It's probably less significant than the number of people who don't collect SW but are big Ewan MacGregor fans and buy every Obi-Wan figure because it's Ewan.

And when was the last time Hasbro offered an entire wave of solid EU based on a single videogame? Think way back in your memory. If you need a hint, I'm sure there's a Big Lots in the area with some Dash Rendars and Xizors still on the pegs. Aside from the core characters, this line bombed hard.

So should Hasbro totally avoid figures from this game? I'm not saying that. But I am saying that they should be mixed in, and sparingly until the sales are proven. Sure, an EU Stormtrooper is going to sell, and, sadly, S***-Kicked-Out-Of-Him-P**** Vader will probably sell, too. But how many Samurai Jedi are going to be on clearance for fifty cents in 2009?

The fact is, if they're tackling EU, they should take on all EU. Right now, they're picking and choosing, which is bound to p*** some people off. It's almost all comics and videogames right now. Hasbro says it's because there's a dearth of visual reference for characters from novels.

I say, why make Generic Officer Sally? If you want to make a female Imperial Officer, we've been clamoring for Admiral Daala for years. No visual reference? Look at the cover of Jedi Search (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/58/Jedisearch.jpg). There's a perfectly good picture of her upper body. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce that she doesn't have wheels or tentacles for legs. And it's not like the likenesses on any of these figures is that great, anyway.

Or how about the most visual--and closest to the films--of all: Star Wars television? We're getting some here and there, all from Clone Wars and the Holiday Special. But they're passing over the Ewok movies entirely, and have stated time and again that there's no plans to ever make any characters from those. Even in terms of Clone Wars or the Holiday Special, why do we get Foul Modama and Cartoon Boba Fett, but not Akmeena or Saessee Tiin in Clonetrooper Armor?

And, in any case, since all the EU is totally dependent upon the movies, why don't they at least produce all the speaking characters and those background characters that are consistently requested? "Yarna won't sell," they say. Well, guess what, Hasbro? I'm willing to bet she'll sell the pants off a Neimoidian Warrior, and you had no problem repainting and re-releasing him even after knowing he was a dog, did you?

2-1B
02-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Actually the double bladed lightsaber idea came from Ray Park, since it would give him more opportunities to show off his martial arts skills onscreen.

Not exactly, the double blade was already in play but Ray Park came up with the double hilt. With the single hilt / double blade that they first gave him, there was only so much he could do. He suggested that if it was made of two hilts, he could play it off his hip and come up with some great staff-like moves. :)

For the most part, I am with Chux and Slick.

Chux on the "this Vader is stupid" part and Slick on the "EU is stupid" part. lol

Really though, I guess it could be worse...like that Mortal Kombat Jedi, that looks dumber than Vader. Chux, I have to say the Skiff Luke IS worse than Vader but we'll have to disagree. :) That Rancor driving an AT-AT idea is pretty cool, though. lol

Can't there be a compromise, though? :confused: We all have seen Hasbro abuse the repacks / rehashes of major characters, so why not compromise? For example, put out this goofy Robocop Vader and at the same time, release an obscure movie figure like Yarna, Young Beru, or Dancing Gungan in ROTJ.
That way the kids can see the "main" characters (albeit in crappy EU form, but that doesn't stop them from buying multiple silly Supes and Bats figs) and then they can sneak in the better but more obscure characters.
And then they can also piggy back whatever other GI Joe Sith figures that they come up with, but just do it all in tandem with traditional and unreleased movie figs. :)

I don't collect figures anymore so it doesn't really matter to me and I'm sure my opinion will be less respected because of it but seriously...I spent alot of time in this hobby so that's how I feel is the best approach. The worst approach would be separate lines because we have seen that backfire. Just slap them all on the same card and keep pumping out mixed waves of comic, video game, and movie figures.

Hell, go 2 each per wave:

Wave 1:
1) Darth Vader with Peter Weller Battle Damage
2) Old Guy from Mortal Kombat Jedi
3) Jaicen Solo
4) Anakin Solo (keep milking those familiar names for the sake of....familiarity)
5) Yarna
6) Dead Padme

Wave 2:
1) Darth Revan from GI Joe
2) Some other guy I can't think of from a video game
3) That guy who dresses up like a Royal Guard
4) a Yuzon Vong
5) Lando in ESB cockpit outfit
6) the Weequay skiff guard from ROTJ they didn't make yet

Those are just off the top of my head, and I'd even be willing to wait longer for ROTJ Gungan, but my point is that if they want to appeal to all fan groups, just pump em all out together in equal amounts. If any certain segment of the collection starts to warm peg, then cut back on those production numbers a bit or adjust the number per wave until a steady enough level of demand is met.

I dunno what to tell you...:confused:

El Chuxter
02-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Want a shining example of an EU screwup?

I got a Game Informer magazine today with an article on Force Unleashed. Guess what? Now it's apparently "official EU" that Shaak Ti survived Order 66, despite having two different deaths in cut scenes from the movie, the previously "canon" one considered to be Anakin chopping her down in the Temple.

Jeez, after the fact, they've said Quinlan, Bultar, and now Shaak Ti survived. What's next? Aayla comes back and says that luckily the thousands of blaster bolts missed every vital organ?

Most of the Jedi were supposed to have died at once. Let it be.

Phantom-like Menace
02-17-2007, 01:58 AM
Remember Shadows of the Empire? We all know what a smashing success and treasured addition to the Star Wars saga that was. :rolleyes:

The worst approach would be separate lines because we have seen that backfire.

First, it's impossible to make a meaningful generalization based on one example: "Shadows of the Empire didn't do well, so no EU source will succeed." Look up insufficient sample or hasty generalization under logical fallacies. Second there is no possibility whatsoever that Force Unleashed figures will be out in as great of numbers as SotE. Regular figures aren't even out in as great of numbers as SotE figures were.

The biggest problem Hasbro is going to have with Force Unleashed is that they are going to go light on the three troop figures and heavy on the Vader, and I agree with the basic premise of the original post inasmuch as I believe he is going to be the least purchased of all of these figures, followed by the Imp chick with the two Force users claiming stake to the middle ground. But case ratio is Hasbro's pet mistake, so that hardly needs to be a power attributed solely to the dreaded EU.

Now in thinking that Vader will be the pegwarmer, am I upset that some other figure didn't get made? Why should I be? If Hasbro thought to themselves that they could either make this Darth Vader or the number one figure on my wishlist, then it stands to reason that the number one figure on my wishlist is one of Hasbro's priorities. If Hasbro thought to themselves that they could make this Darth Vader, and my number one figure wasn't even on their radar, then what does it matter to me whether I'm one more figure away from some distant day far off in the future when they might conceivably decide to make my figure? Now I could cry myself to sleep thinking that my figure is somewhere in the middle of those two extremes but at some point I should really let it go.

No type of figure has any priority, and arguing that one figure should be made before another is simply assigning arbitrary value based on your own opinion. Does that mean every figure will sell just as well as another? No, and that conclusion can't be made from my statement.

JediTricks
02-17-2007, 07:29 AM
I for one love this figure. Very creative. Once again better than a new clone from the Umpteenth Battalion. Better than seeing yet another fully dressed version of Vader. Though I liked the recent comic book tie-dye Vader. These characters are a much better waste of plastic than the upcoming "Greatest Hits" Now those are the ones that will clog the pegs. I agree on both points! As soon as I saw the shredded Vader in the Unleashed Battle Packs line I thought it looked cool, and this 4" version looks even niftier, it's way better than 500th Vader for the 600th time, plus I don't think it's Hasbro's fault that Vader takes a beating in the video game, it's not like they made the game.

And Greatest Hits continue to be the Greatest Thorn in collectors' sides as they clog shelves (though I'll also argue that 3" Titanium Transformers are clogging 3" Star Wars Titanium shevles).

BTW, the only reason I'm replying to this thread is that it comes off a little more "fans throwing a fit" than I was expecting and that took me by surprise.

2-1B
02-17-2007, 08:42 AM
First, it's impossible to make a meaningful generalization based on one example: "Shadows of the Empire didn't do well, so no EU source will succeed." Look up insufficient sample or hasty generalization under logical fallacies. Second there is no possibility whatsoever that Force Unleashed figures will be out in as great of numbers as SotE. Regular figures aren't even out in as great of numbers as SotE figures were.

Speaking of fallacies, please go back and cite where it was that I mentioned Shadows of the Empire. You won't find it, because I didn't say it. :thumbsup:
I was thinking more along the lines of running TPM into the next card design, for example, which leads to one product looking "older" and not as "fresh" than the next one...if a store ended up not being able to move all of X brand (EU or Movie, take your pick) then the other one might not see much shelf time and that's a shame no matter which one is getting shafted.

I loved how they rolled out AOTC and then started peppering in OT and TPM figures on the same card with a different notation for each film. That's all that I meant, that they should be mixing Video Games, Comics, and Movie junk all under the same banner and calling it Star Wars.

Jeez, I'm not at all a fan of the EU and I wouldn't take these goofy figures if they were free but I'm trying to show a little support for its inclusion and I'm still catching some pro-EU heat. lol lol lol

BTW, the only reason I'm replying to this thread is that it comes off a little more "fans throwing a fit" than I was expecting and that took me by surprise.

What did you expect from a thread titled "Why do you put so much effort into garbage" ? :crazed:

mabudonicus
02-17-2007, 09:21 AM
As long as there's figures from "Danger Tube" and "Gimmee Dengar" (and maybe a special \m. "Rockin Deuce") I have no problems with the FU (Fuller Universe of SW- too bad they never asked me for use of the acronym) being represented in figure-form
:beard: :ducks: Isobaws&

Phantom-like Menace
02-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Speaking of fallacies, please go back and cite where it was that I mentioned Shadows of the Empire. You won't find it, because I didn't say it. :thumbsup:

No, you didn't mention SotE, but I added your quote simply because it was relevant to the idea of running two themes simultaneously, and I forgot to address it specifically as I would have if I'd remembered to ask you to specify, though I figured in the context the only other thing you could have meant was Clone Wars.

Though I'll take a moment to observe that every EU hater has Shadows of the Empire in a glass case on the wall next to their computer, and little words on that glass say, "In case of threat of EU figures, break glass." And they live in a home full of broken glass.

Jeez, I'm not at all a fan of the EU and I wouldn't take these goofy figures if they were free but I'm trying to show a little support for its inclusion and I'm still catching some pro-EU heat. lol lol lol

No heat from me, I agree completely that these should be included in the mix with regular figures, but I just don't think their being a subline is going to be an issue, either with SotE as precedent as in bigbarada's example, or with your example of changing cards during the movies.

2-1B
02-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Though I'll take a moment to observe that every EU hater has Shadows of the Empire in a glass case on the wall next to their computer, and little words on that glass say, "In case of threat of EU figures, break glass." And they live in a home full of broken glass.

Awesome ! :D :D :D

You know what, I was over at Wal-Mart before browsing the figures (I just look, I don't buy anymore but I do enjoy looking :) ) and I thought it was cool that they had an EU Aurra Sing, a Clone Wars Mace Astro Droid, an ANH Kitik Keedak, etc etc.

I think Hasbro has the right idea now, mixing all of these things up and calling it Star Wars with the nice notations on the package.

Anyway, I love the SOTE reference, PLM. :crazed:

DarkArtist
02-17-2007, 01:57 PM
I for one was happy with the addition of the Shadows of the Empire series and found myself hunting for them just as hard as hunting now for the last waves of the Saga Series and the first series of the TAC.

I think the problem was that Hasbro put too much out at one point and thus the pegs were filled up with thousands of Dash Rendars and Chewie in Snoova Disguise, while the Luke in Guard Disguise and Leia as Boushh flew off the shelves. We see that today with Hasbro making hundreds of Vader and watching the pegs clog while the Clones disappear.

As for the Battle Damaged Darth vader, I think this will be a figure that flies off the shelves while the MK Jedi peg warms. Hopefully Hasbro has learned it's lesson from Shadows and this new series of Force Unleashed will not falter like the previous line.

As far as the whole topic of EU, look at the recent additions of Eu offerings so far and the success they have seen. Scorch, hard to find single carded and have still yet to see one on the pegs. The only way I got one was by buying it from a comic books shop for $10. The Dark horse Comic Packs, again yet another series of figures that have been flying off the shelves. I was luckly to get all three from Walmart on the 1st of January but have yet to see them since, and I have a feeling that the second wave of Comic packs will do the same.

Look at the Republic Commando's box set being sold now, another huge success. Time and time again we have seen that the fans want EU. The TAC line is going to have the Ralph McQuarrie Series and I can postively say that those figures will again be one the fly off the shelves. A perfect example would be the intial offering of the Concept Stormie, was able to find two at retail and never saw it again.

I think time will tell as to how these figures do at retail. I for one will buy a complete set and try to army build the female officer and the stormies.

Now if only Hasbro would start to tackle the Star Wars Legacy series, would love to see a Cade Skywalker, Spirit of Luke Skywalker and other characters from the series.

Droid
02-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Wait, in the Star Wars Legacy series Luke is DEAD?

pbarnard
02-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Wait, in the Star Wars Legacy series Luke is DEAD?

Yes it is 150 years or so after the end of the NJO era events. Strong in the Force, but not that strong to whine for 100+ years.

Not to be confused with Legacy of the Force story arc, the events immediately after the NJO.

Droid
02-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Yes it is 150 years or so after the end of the NJO era events. Strong in the Force, but not that strong to whine for 100+ years.

Not to be confused with Legacy of the Force story arc, the events immediately after the NJO.

So is it Legacy of the Force where Han and Leia's son is evil?

pbarnard
02-18-2007, 12:22 PM
So is it Legacy of the Force where Han and Leia's son is evil?

Yep, although it remains to seem all bets are that Darth Krayat from Legacy is Jacen Solo, but that's just conjecture at this point.

El Chuxter
02-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Since apparently I'm an "EU hater" now despite all evidence to the contrary, I'm dropping the point. However, my reasoning for bringing up SOTE is sound. Force Unleashed will be a game, toy line, comic book, and novel. In other words, a multimedia blitz that only lacks a CD soundtrack to be an exact repeat of Shadows.

This remains the only time this has been attempted. So a comparison with how this strategy worked the only other time it's been tried makes logical sense.

I never said that, since SOTE figures pegwarmed, no EU should ever be made. Of course, I've specifically said that I'm not an EU hater a few times, and I've started more "Dear Hasbro" threads about EU characters than anyone else (except maybe Tycho), so I'm not too surprised that those words are being put into my "mouth" at the same time I'm branded a hater.

2-1B
02-18-2007, 04:51 PM
I got yer back Chux, I mean you have an EUwok for your 'tar and you are a champion for the Teek figure that we will never enjoy...so as an anti-EU guy myself, I support you as a genuine EU Supporter. :(

Vote Bear in 2016

Mad Slanted Powers
02-18-2007, 06:31 PM
I wasn't collecting back when SOTE was new, and I didn't even play the game until a couple years after that, so I don't know about how successful it was or not. I think a lot of things have changed that would make the current situation different. 1996 was before the prequels and even before the Special Editions, so Star Wars hadn't quite returned to the same sort of prominence it had during the vintage days. I think the game didn't get the greatest reviews either. As a Star Wars fan, I enjoyed it, but some things about it were frustrating. I never got past the level with Boba Fett at the end.

Another thing to consider was the selection and quality of the figures. From reading the wave by wave thread, it doesn't appear that people were too impressed by them. Leia Boussh won the polling, but she was a character in the movie, and while some of the others got votes, there didn't appear to be any that people were really enthused about. There was plenty of dislike for the Chewbacca in disguise figure. The new line of figures had only been out a year, so maybe it was too early to try something like that.

While those figures may not have made a great impression, I'm already seeing others here saying that the shredded Vader and female Imperial look pretty cool. A Vader like that will be something that kids will think looks cool. The success of the game and whatever other media this stuff shows up in will also play a role.

JediTricks
02-18-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't get how anybody can dump on shredded Vader as crap in a line where preggo Padme's been released several different times, EACH time being a pegwarmer.

What did you expect from a thread titled "Why do you put so much effort into garbage" ? :crazed:Sometimes those types of titles are the inflammatory part and the actual posts are a little more balanced.

As long as there's figures from "Danger Tube" and "Gimmee Dengar" (and maybe a special \m. "Rockin Deuce") I have no problems with the FU (Fuller Universe of SW- too bad they never asked me for use of the acronym) being represented in figure-form
:beard: :ducks: Isobaws&FU is also the acronym for "Force Unleashed". :p

2-1B
02-18-2007, 10:10 PM
I don't get how anybody can dump on shredded Vader as crap in a line where preggo Padme's been released several different times, EACH time being a pegwarmer.

That should be addressed as well, you are right JT. I saw her today in fact, sitting there on a Greatest Hits type card and I shook my head...wasn't she warming pegs almost 2 years ago, I thought? :confused:

Phantom-like Menace
02-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Since apparently I'm an "EU hater" now despite all evidence to the contrary, I'm dropping the point.

I don't think as much of the finger pointing is directed toward you as it seems. I can separate the idea that you don't agree with this one figure being made from the idea that you don't want any EU being made, but one or two of the people contributing to this thread would scoff at enjoying a night with Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley, and Caroline De Souza Correa, each wearing Leia's slave girl costume because THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN IN THE MOVIE--EU SUCKS!!!!

Jaff
02-19-2007, 02:24 AM
This is just another attempt to keep us handing out cash for a few more years. The more EU they make, the less film figures they have to make, this means that more film figs can be released years down the road. It's an obvious tactic, and they make a lot of rehash, repaints, and resculpts to keep us hanging on longer. Imagine if we got the tonnika sisters, hermie, funeral Darth, and just about all the others in one year. Most of us would say, well I'm done, I got all the figures I ever wanted. So they're making us wait IMO, and while we wait, we all (including myself) get duped to buying some figures that we never intended buying because we're thirsty for new figures.

I tell you we are junkies. We need to all get together and stand up saying stuff like: Hi, I'm Jaff and I've been clean from buying Star Wars figs for one week!" Just keep encouraging me guys, just keep encouraging me. I'll get clean!

Mad Slanted Powers
02-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Better to be hooked on Star Wars figures than on drugs or alcohol.

From what we have seen of the TAC line, there isn't much in the way of repacks compared to last year. There are some resculpts, but most of those seem like nice improvements or have some cool accessory to help separate us from our cash.

Slicker
02-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Better to be hooked on Star Wars figures than on drugs or alcohol.I almost think the latter two would be cheaper though...

jedi master sal
02-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I almost think the latter two would be cheaper though...

Yeah, but then you literally pee it away. At least with SW, you still have all your stuff. (And if need be can sell it. Okay most times not getting what you paid, BUT, you've owned the piece for some time and gotten some measure of use out of it.) So, for my dollar, I'll stick to collecting SW.

Qui-Long Gone
02-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Yeah, but then you literally pee it away. At least with SW, you still have all your stuff. (And if need be can sell it. Okay most times not getting what you paid, BUT, you've owned the piece for some time and gotten some measure of use out of it.) So, for my dollar, I'll stick to collecting SW.

Wait, you're not supposed to sniff or drink SW action figures? WTF????:upset:

Slicker
02-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Wait, you're not supposed to sniff or drink SW action figures? WTF????:upset:I take it you didn't get the memo with the Surgeon Generals warning?!

Qui-Long Gone
02-21-2007, 06:48 PM
We have a Surgeon General? I didn't vote for 'em...

JediTricks
02-21-2007, 06:50 PM
They come up through the ranks, he started as a Nurse-Practitioner Private.

Qui-Long Gone
02-21-2007, 06:54 PM
They don't start as a lecherous orderly?

jjreason
02-22-2007, 07:55 AM
I've already had my say about this figure, but I'll put it up for public consumption here. He's not "s*itkicked Vader", he simply ran into something that was able to damage his outer suit - does that sound so impossible? Look at him, he's still full of p&v, ready to open a can on whatever muddled up his pretty costume. It's an awesome figure, and I'll gladly fork over the bucks for it, and the game.

However, Hasbro, I'm going on record: the lady Imp officer, and the "horny" female Zabrak (what, she has horns, they all do!) are truly ridiculous, in both concept and execution. That ain't Star Wars.

DarkArtist
02-22-2007, 10:23 AM
I've already had my say about this figure, but I'll put it up for public consumption here. He's not "s*itkicked Vader", he simply ran into something that was able to damage his outer suit - does that sound so impossible? Look at him, he's still full of p&v, ready to open a can on whatever muddled up his pretty costume. It's an awesome figure, and I'll gladly fork over the bucks for it, and the game.

However, Hasbro, I'm going on record: the lady Imp officer, and the "horny" female Zabrak (what, she has horns, they all do!) are truly ridiculous, in both concept and execution. That ain't Star Wars.

I have to disagree with you on the female Imperial Officer. I love the look of this figure. can't wait to army build these ladies. I look forward to seeing exactly how Vader gets damaged and as far as the female Zabrak it's still a wait and see.

jjreason
02-22-2007, 08:35 PM
My 2 issues with the female are as follows:

1) She's female. I have no problem, but the Empire I know would. Period. I don't like the fact that as we go back in time, the Empire seems to get more politically correct.

2) Her uniform isn't proper. Again, my Empire would not go for "moder" shortened sleeves, cool gloves and an unbuttoned tunic. Give me a break. If her uniform was up to snuff I'd have a lot less trouble with the figure.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-22-2007, 09:30 PM

1) She's female. I have no problem, but the Empire I know would. Period. I don't like the fact that as we go back in time, the Empire seems to get more politically correct.

2) Her uniform isn't proper. Again, my Empire would not go for "moder" shortened sleeves, cool gloves and an unbuttoned tunic. Give me a break. If her uniform was up to snuff I'd have a lot less trouble with the figure.
Perhaps there were plenty of female officers in the early days of the Empire, but since they couldn't dress properly, their opportunities became fewer.

Slicker
02-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Besides that Imperial Officer female isn't very indicative of the real military.

Any female that looks HALF that good is preggers. Now if they gave her a fat ol' pregnant belly it'd be more believable.

Qui-Long Gone
02-22-2007, 10:06 PM

Period.

That sums it up well....

Phantom-like Menace
02-22-2007, 10:38 PM
They're not, and it's been specifically stated in more EU sources than I can count.

I'm sure the game will mention how rare it is for a female to be an officer, but if I recall the backstory for Daala correctly, it wasn't so notable that she was in the military but simply that she held an important position and/or rank. Otherwise those same EU sources talk about how unheard of it is for aliens to have high positions and Thrawn is proof it's not impossible. We should probably at least know what circumstances surrounding her position are before assuming.

Otherwise, it makes sense that the Empire would be slightly more lenient with a policy like this at an earlier time. It took Palpatine almost twenty years to disolve the senate. Unless Order Seventy-seven immediately followed Order Sixty-six and was the order to kill all female military officers, there would be some left and doubtless others still coming in.

DarkArtist
02-23-2007, 07:31 AM
don't forget about Isard from the Rogue Squadron Books. She was afterall the director of Imperial Intel. Perhaps we are jumping the gun in thinking that this new Imp Officer is in the military. perhaps she is in Intel or special ops.

This sort of reminds me of a GI Joe episode where a few Joes get sent into another universe in which GI Joe is dead and Cobra rules the world. In the episode, The Baroness is in charge of one of the factions of Cobra and her some of here soliders are women.