PDA

View Full Version : Fat Suits

mabudonicus
02-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Okay, this has been buggin me for some time-
How come it's against the "rules" set out by our PC society, you can't just use the term "fat"- I mean, you CAN if you're a tiny bit overweight, I suppose, as in "I think I'm getting fat" but to call a morbidly obese person the same is a no-no

so why, in Hollywood, do they refer to the device to make an otherwise "skinny" person immense as a "fat suit"?? and no-one crusades against it, and even generally PC types use the expression since there appears to be no other term for it??

I am suggesting the contraption be re-named, like Kleenex- my first idea would be "Flummox"- I know it's a real word, but it kinda fits-

And IS there a "standard" flummox, or are they all crafted individually?? like, in the industry, would you hear a wardrobe guy say something like "I think the 335 Fatsuit is a bit too small, we need more girth- maybe a 427??"

Please, discuss

:beard:Isobaws&

Slicker
02-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Okay, this has been buggin me for some time-
How come it's against the "rules" set out by our PC society, you can't just use the term "fat"- I mean, you CAN if you're a tiny bit overweight, I suppose, as in "I think I'm getting fat" but to call a morbidly obese person the same is a no-noBecause people like to have there eyes blinded and with the blatant truth being throw out there they may actually become pro-active and do something about it. We don't need skinny Americans now, do we?:rolleyes:

so why, in Hollywood, do they refer to the device to make an otherwise "skinny" person immense as a "fat suit"?? and no-one crusades against it, and even generally PC types use the expression since there appears to be no other term for it??If the suit fits...HAW!

I am suggesting the contraption be re-named, like Kleenex- my first idea would be "Flummox"- I know it's a real word, but it kinda fits-Flummox you say? Hmmm...that has a certain nice ring to it. Almost like it's disguising the horrible truth. Instead of execution they should call it flummox so you think it's gonna be pleasant.

And IS there a "standard" flummox, or are they all crafted individually?? like, in the industry, would you hear a wardrobe guy say something like "I think the 335 Fatsuit is a bit too small, we need more girth- maybe a 427??"What I don't understand is why don't they use real fat big boned people to act these parts? Having a skinny person put on a suit would be like having Brad Pitt play the role of Martin Luther King.

JEDIpartner
02-13-2007, 12:43 PM
big boned people

ooooh... let's be REALLY PC and refer to them as "weight" or "dietetically" challenged people... :lipsrsealed:

Slicker
02-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Ohhh, good one JP!

We could also say that gravity hasn't been kind to them.:thumbsup:

LTBasker
02-13-2007, 12:55 PM
What I don't understand is why don't they use real fat big boned people to act these parts?

What do big boned people have to do with the fat suit issue? That's an entirely different kind of movie. :crazed:

darthvyn
02-13-2007, 01:11 PM
... or "dietetically" challenged people... :lipsrsealed:

what do people who can't understand l. ron hubbard have to do with this?

bobafrett
02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
That's "Dianetics" not "Diatetics" silly boy.

I'm 60 pounds heavier than I would care to be. I'm Fat or is it phat?

CaptainSolo1138
02-14-2007, 06:33 AM
I'm Fat or is it phat?Whichever you want, bf.

You make a good point, mabs. This country, and you Canucks from the sound of it, have become way too PC about everything. We're so scared of offending anyone that we have to come up with a million dollar phrase for everything.

The sweet irony of it all is that my Native American history teacher last semester, a full-blooded Chippewa, referred to himself, his tribe and his people the entire semester as "Indians", because "saying 'Native American' sounds dumb". It got to be a joke within the class and he would correct students who would refer to "Indians" as "Native Americans".

JetsAndHeels
02-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Screw bein PC, I am a fat a $$ and Im proud of it.

HOLLA!!

Kidhuman
02-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Screw bein PC, I am a fat a $$ and Im proud of it.

HOLLA!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

Fat suits you say huh? Is that anything like shopping for clothes at Big and Tall? Call the place "You need to pay extra because of the 8 yards of material we need to use to cover your fat arse" Suit shop

mabudonicus
02-14-2007, 09:15 AM
you all bring some good points...

Haven't actuall cleared anything up yet tho, we need some input from somone with some hands-on fat-suit experience, methinks :beard:Isobaws&

Kidhuman
02-14-2007, 09:17 AM
I did the sumo srestling suit thing, does that count?

JEDIpartner
02-14-2007, 11:56 AM
That's "Dianetics" not "Diatetics" silly boy.

I'm 60 pounds heavier than I would care to be. I'm Fat or is it phat?

Well, some people are into BBWs or BHMs, so they might consider you "phat"! :thumbsup:

Slicker
02-14-2007, 12:03 PM
The fact that I know what those initials mean almost makes me throw up in my mouth.:thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
02-14-2007, 12:05 PM
LOL!!!!!!! Well, doesn't that count as a diet in some circles? :lol:

CaptainSolo1138
02-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Well, some people are into BBWs or BHMs, so they might consider you "phat"! :thumbsup:Anymore, though, the "BBWs" aren't much more than average weight. I don't understand what the allure of super skinny chicks is. I'd rather save the money and just bang a garbage bag full of coat hangers.

JEDIpartner
02-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Well, that's 'cos most Americans are pretty overweight these days. :(

CaptainSolo1138
02-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Well, that's 'cos most Americans are pretty overweight these days. :(
I guess what I meant is that "average hotness" any more = skin and bones, which I think is nasty. A "BBW" is of average weight.

Besides, how do BBWs concern you, JP!:D

JEDIpartner
02-14-2007, 12:49 PM
I guess what I meant is that "average hotness" any more = skin and bones, which I think is nasty. A "BBW" is of average weight.

Besides, how do BBWs concern you, JP!:D

Actually, it's the BHMs... :lipsrsealed:

CaptainSolo1138
02-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Actually, it's the BHMs... :lipsrsealed:Is the "H" "Husky"?

JEDIpartner
02-14-2007, 01:37 PM
H="Handsome"... as the second "B" in the women's version is "Beautiful". :o

CaptainSolo1138
02-14-2007, 02:00 PM
H="Handsome"... as the second "B" in the women's version is "Beautiful". :o
Yeah...uh....that's totally what I meant.....

Jargo
02-14-2007, 06:21 PM
fat is fat and that is that. My sister is morbidly obese. she's five feet two inches tall and just as wide. We describe her as 'the size of a house'.

they should employ fat people to play fat people and be honest. there's enough lardarses around to take the jobs. Unless it's a movie like Shallow Hal where a character needs to alternate between fat and slim. or Friends with Monica in flashback to when she was fat.

fat suits fulfill a comedic role. poking fun at fat barstewards. fat is inherently funny. Look how many funny people have made a success because of their weight (barring Fatty Arbuckle)

the only people who get ired at being called fat are those who feel guilt for being lazy and living an unhealthy life. Or those brainwashed (because they're gullible) by PC self righteous do-gooder types.

I would imagine tv wardrobe departments have a few fat suits to fit different sizes of people. For movies they possibly have the budget to tailor make a fat suit. as in Eddie Murphy's for the nutty professor or Kenneth McMillan's in David Lynch's Dune.

CaptainSolo1138
02-14-2007, 06:52 PM
the only people who get ired at being called fat are those who feel guilt for being lazy and living an unhealthy life. Or those brainwashed (because they're gullible) by PC self righteous do-gooder types.
Well said, peaches. I totally agree with you.

LTBasker
02-14-2007, 08:20 PM

Mind you, living an unhealthy life isn't always a sign of laziness and it's a rather rude assumption that because someone is fat that they're also lazy. That should be noted as a large reason why alot of fat people don't like it when some random stranger accuses them of such things. Some people who are on very limited income don't have alot of options foodwise and the healthiest options for some foods tend to be quite expensive. It's difficult to eat right when you have to make your money stretch over a long period of time and the only food that will accomplish that is rather unhealthy.

Granted, lots of people make it by like that with no problem, but there are some people who aren't born with that ever so wonderful metabolism that will allow you to scarf down anything and burn it off by merely walking from room to room.

So yes, you're partly right. People do feel guilty about being fat when they know they're living an unhealthy lifestyle but not because everyone who lives one does so willingly through laziness, sometimes it's just the only cost effective lifestyle. Of course someone in that situation isn't going to like some random moron taking it upon themselves to remind someone that they are fat.

CaptainSolo1138
02-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Some people who are on very limited income don't have alot of options foodwise and the healthiest options for some foods tend to be quite expensive. It's difficult to eat right when you have to make your money stretch over a long period of time and the only food that will accomplish that is rather unhealthy.That was a really good post, Basker, and I tend to agree with you for the most part. The only portion I have issue with is the above quote because:

A #1 Value Meal at McDonald's= $4.39 + tax
A bag of baby carrots= $1.99 (half as much when they're on sale)

Further, a bottle of water is no more expensive than a bottle of pop and a Nutra-Grain bar is the same price as a Snickers. I don't think using ones income bracket as a reason for being fat, as many do, is very credible.

QLD
02-14-2007, 09:00 PM
I guess for the same reason that I can't call people retarded, handicapped, or stupid. Most people here know my history. I am fat, and used to be a lot fatter. I required surgery to help me get my weight to a manageable level. While I was never really bothered by the word fat, because it is the truth, it's the intention of the people using it that becomes hurtful. Eventually the word itself takes on the negative connotation. Much like most racial slurs, or even the word retarded.

Rocketboy
02-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Further, a bottle of water is no more expensive than a bottle of pop and a Nutra-Grain bar is the same price as a Snickers. I don't think using ones income bracket as a reason for being fat, as many do, is very credible.Actually, with your example it can be cheaper (Water comes out of faucets and it's free!).

bobafrett
02-14-2007, 10:33 PM
My girlfriend has been trying to get me off of my Diet Pepsi that I am addicted to. She tries to lead me to water, but this is one horse who just won't drink it. That is on problem, the stuff in Diet Pepsi does not help you really keep weight off. I heard that a modeling agent had her models switch from Diet soft drinks to water, and they lost an average of 10 pounds without any other change to their lifestyle.

Another problem I had was my work schedule. I didn't really have much time to prepare healthier meals. I was working at a health club part time because they had a benefit of free membership to those who worked, but because I worked almost every hour the health club was open, I rarely got to use that. When I did, I was working overnight, didn't have my son living with me, and I was able to get into shape. I know what it takes to get back to that, time and other factors hold me back. I recently quit the club I was working at, so I can have some extra time to work out, and attempt to eat healthier. My girlfriend and I had salads for dinner tonight. I have to do this now before I have more health issues.

Jargo
02-14-2007, 10:37 PM
If you're retarded it's usually through either birth problem and congenital defect or through some kind of trauma to the head. that can't be helped (well actually there is a pioneering technique but it's currently very risky)
if you're ethnic you're born that way. you can't change your skin colour unless you take drastic measures like Michael jakson and look what happened to his skin.

there are rare congenital conditions that cause people to be obese but for the most part it's not something that people are born with. it's a thing that can be controlled. by the amount we eat, the types of food we eat and the combinations of food we eat.

my sister eats those nutritious cereal bars for breakfast in an attempt to cut down on certain types of food. trouble is she's a glutton and eats the whole box full for breakfast. she'll go out to eat and have a massive meal and follow it up with a diet coke. it's just insane. I've known so many fat people in my life and most of them were fat by their own gluttony. they could change quite easily. all it takes is some modificatins to their diet but the fact is there are so many food choices now people are too picky and fussy. convenience foods are the root cause. tv dinners and fast food joints. people don't cook at home anymore. and when they do it's just to reheat ready meals.

employment is also to blame. there aren't many people whose jobs don't mean sitting on their butt day in day out. Nobody walks anymore they'd rather sit in their car to go a short journey.

and don't get me wrong, a year ago i looked at myself and saw how much weight I'd gained from being that sort of person. it's taken me a year and half to lose that weight I gained and it's a struggle i know. but it's the refusal to change and do something about it I can't stand. I appreciate QLD's efforts. Because he did make the effort to do something. what ires me most are fat people who moan about their weight and all the while shove pies in their faces and slob on the couch every day. shut up already! leave off the convenience foods and start cooking from fresh. cut back on the fats and sugars and carb rich foods. go for a walk. take the stairs not the elevator. Use the car less. Do something.

No-one expects fat people to suddenly become stick thin. stick thin is just as bad. but there's a helluva lot more respect for people who take a proactive stance and combat and control their weight problems.

2-1B
02-15-2007, 08:33 PM
What would Tim Hardaway say on this issue ? :confused:
I'd like to hear his comments because at least he is honest without all the jokes piled on. ;)

My girlfriend has been trying to get me off of my Diet Pepsi that I am addicted to. She tries to lead me to water, but this is one horse who just won't drink it. That is on problem, the stuff in Diet Pepsi does not help you really keep weight off. I heard that a modeling agent had her models switch from Diet soft drinks to water, and they lost an average of 10 pounds without any other change to their lifestyle.

I disagree, as I am maintaining my Goal Weight (actually under it by 7 pounds) and I drink PLENTY of Diet Pepsi (actually Cherry Coke Zero is my favorite but I get enough of the Brown & Bubbly as well. :grin: ). Water is ideal, absolutely, and we should all strive to drink more of it (I'll get there in time).

I dropped alot of weight and did it all naturally but there's no way I could have quit soda cold turkey so I changed over to diet and I'm still hooked...but making progress toward more water. All in due time, I guess.

People don't just wake up fat one morning, it is brought about by a long period of bad habits so it's not as easy as just turning a switch and getting on track. Everybody is different but after so long, I think some people lose hope and feel they are too far gone and hopeless. Think Darth Vader in Episodes 3 and 6 (and probably the Holiday Special, too).

bobafrett
02-15-2007, 08:39 PM
I do have a friend who doesn't work out, eats fast food galore, yet maintains his thin looks, flat abs. He says he has high metabolism, plus he has been known to eat a burger or whatever it is, slowly over an hour plus. I eat very fast and end up eating more than I am comforatable with in the end because the food hasn't filled my stomach until a half hour or so later.

Diet Pepsi also makes makes you thirsty, which makes you want more to quench that thirst, kinda like Slurm on Futurama.

2-1B
02-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Frett, I know people like that too, who can eat all kinds of junk and stay thin...but it's still not healthy. ;)

CaptainSolo1138
02-16-2007, 06:36 AM
I do have a friend who doesn't work out, eats fast food galore, yet maintains his thin looks, flat abs. He says he has high metabolism, plus he has been known to eat a burger or whatever it is, slowly over an hour plus.That's how I am and, like the great and powerful Caesar said, I know it doesn't mean I'm healthy (For the record, Slicker is the same way). My wife makes me eat better than I would on my own, but I usually supplement my dinner veggies with a bag of microwave popcorn later on. Plus, with the kids, its so hard to not make a quick five minute dinner just to get it out of the way. With them getting older, though, we have been making more of an effort to eat better and be healthier. If anything else, we're doing it for them.

2-1B
02-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Caps, if you're looking for a quick meal try Lean Cuisine Pizzas and Paninis, they are to DIE for....in particular the Brick Oven Style pizzas will delight you but also the regular ones. And those Paninis, good lord...I think they came down from Heaven like Manna. :grin:

QLD
02-16-2007, 10:22 PM
I also testify on behalf of the Lean Cuisine Paninis. They are amazing!

2-1B
02-16-2007, 10:33 PM
What is your fave, QLD?

I would rank them:

1) Chicken, Spinach, and Mushroom
2) Southwest Style Chicken
3) Steak and Cheddar
4) Chicken BLT

They only make those 4 so far, that I have seen / devoured.

QLD
02-16-2007, 10:36 PM
I have to go:

1. Steak and Cheddar
2. Chicken Spinach and Mushroom
3. Southwest Style Chicken
4. Chicken BLT

As far as the regular Lean Cuisine goes, Steak Portabello, Chicken Fettucini Alfredo, and Swedish Noodles with Meatballs are my faves.

JediTricks
02-17-2007, 06:16 AM
The reason is because of the hatred involved about fat people. Actually, nearly every film using a fat suit gets complaints from various "big boned" anti-defamation groups but since everybody hates fatties, those groups are ignored. It's like blackface or the really awful Oriental stereotypes from the first half of the 20th century that permeated entertainment at the time - the thinking was that those were less than people so mocking them was easy and fun, especially since the majority had a secret hatred for them anyway. And now a fatty like Rosie O'Donnell can't say "ching chong ching chong" in mock-chinese without Asian-Americans coming down hard, but 50 years ago nobody would have said jack squat, but Mad TV can have 50 different sketches with every actor on the show donning a fat suit and making the most cheap, hate-filled fatty jokes they can stuff into the sketch.

BTW, the cheapest food at the store, cheese, breads, chips, meats, is ALWAYS the fattiest and saltiest of everything in the store because salt and fat is very cheap to process food with (since lard and beef tallow, as well as some oils, salt, and sugar, are all excellent preservatives leading to longer shelf life and are super cheap for the company) and is addictive in the human brain - it's a win-win for corporate foodmakers. Look at the cheapest sliced cheese (it'll be fake cheese made of oil which is pure fat), or the discount fruit pies, even the cheapest meat at the deli counter is always the fattiest, and some fast food - which is always fatty of course - is cheaper than making it at home. And the cheapest foods at the store that are considered "real food" by themselves, Macaroni & Cheese and Instant Ramen, are unbelievably fatty and salty, like off-the-charts.

mabudonicus
02-17-2007, 08:04 AM
JT- Funny, I have been on about Fat-Suits "in real life" with a few folks (hell, I kinda started it as a topic on a local radio show arounbd the same time I first posted this thread and it shows no signs of stopping- not a mean thing either, just somehows fat-suits figure into EVERYTHING like that number 23 BS)

Intreesting that you would use the black-face analogy cos that's EXACTLY how I view this kind of thing, and it's basically what prompted my line of thinking

I just find it odd that phoney "big" people are awesome, and real ones not so much- and the other side of the coin is weird too- on "real life TV" only folks who are INSANELY Obese are ever shown in "fat people stories", like gotta-cut-a-wall-down-to-leave-the-house type obese- whereas many folks who are in fact grossly, even dangerously overweight are depicted as "stocky", giving the impression that until you can't actually stand up, or require a fat-suit instead of pillows to play the part, you're NOT obese...

And I am really not trying to offend anyone here, the whole deal just really strikes me as odd, thanks for actually posting good stuff here

:beard: :mebs: Isobaws&

2-1B
02-17-2007, 08:32 AM
:beard:s have been credited as a good way to hide a double chin. :grin:

QLD, I never have the Steak Portabello but I will have to give it a try...you're right on about the Chicken (Boba) Fett though, that stuff is the balls and I love the Swedish Meatballs, too. How about the spaghettis? Those are great, too, but I specifically prefer the one with meat sauce over the meat balls. But both are good. :)

Mebs, that is a good point about the house-wall-cutting, they were showing a guy who went probably 900-1000 lbs down in Mexico and he's lost some but still on a long road to recovery. I guess there are some reports out there about kids getting overweight but maybe we don't need to be shovelling some of that cafeteria food down their gullets, maybe lay off the Nutty Bars, too (I know I didn't :( ).

JT is right about mac and cheese, good lord is that a death trap ! :eek:

JediTricks
02-18-2007, 07:11 PM
And I am really not trying to offend anyone here, the whole deal just really strikes me as odd, thanks for actually posting good stuff hereYeah, it's too bad that people still have to demonize each other and create an environment that encourages people to hate themselves, but c'est la vie I guess, the hate isn't going away any time soon and unless we keep discussing it, it may never get better.

It's funny, 50 years ago society wasn't nearly as cruel to fat folks, they were still marginalized in entertainment to certain roles but there wasn't so much nastiness about it - I'm not sure what's changed really, perhaps the role of television in life or self-loathing of those who fear what they could become, or maybe it's just another arm of a general air of growing intolerance.

El Chuxter
02-18-2007, 08:55 PM
True, but Asians still are seen as "borderline okay" when it comes to poking fun. No one gets mad at Rosie other than Asians.

But Michael Richards, yeesh. Sure, he wasn't in the right, but everyone got to rip him a new arse, and what he said wouldn't even have been common knowledge if someone wasn't breaking a club rule and videotaping it.