PDA

View Full Version : First look at the new Clone Wars 'toon

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

bigbarada
11-22-2008, 12:53 AM
Yeah, it was a great one. I like seeing Jar Jar and 3PO paired up.

I can't wait for the Jedi Jar Jar figure. I don't buy many Star Wars figures anymore...

But that one I have to get for my Binks collection.

I actually hope we get to see more Jar Jar/Threepio episodes. This one was fun.

SmokedPorter
11-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Do you all think Durge will show up in this series? He was a great villain in the 2003 series. I'd love to have his character explored more.

preacher
11-22-2008, 11:04 AM
And for the second time Nute Gunray has been captured. You'd think that the republic would figure out how to make his charges stick. But he's in ROTS so obviously he escapes...again.

I hope if they do a Durge episode that eventually he is dealt with in the same manner as the comics. Anakin was a force of two-fisted cool in it.

bigbarada
11-22-2008, 01:31 PM
And for the second time Nute Gunray has been captured. You'd think that the republic would figure out how to make his charges stick. But he's in ROTS so obviously he escapes...again.

I hope if they do a Durge episode that eventually he is dealt with in the same manner as the comics. Anakin was a force of two-fisted cool in it.

That was actually the only problem I had with the whole episode. I think it would have been better if he had "slipped away in all the confusion" and lived to plot another day.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-22-2008, 03:10 PM
I really enjoyed last night's show. Jar Jar was actually funny! :D I loved the interaction between him and C-3PO (or Threeso :D ). This (http://starwars.com/video/view/000730.html) video explains the pairing of the two, and I thought it was interesting that C-3PO was put there to kind of represent the "older" fans.

I absolutely loved the design of Rodia, and reusing the old McQuarrie swamp slug design was totally sweet, since I love that painting. It was also cool to see Gree and his clones (which are coming in the same wave as Jar Jar).

The episode in two weeks is Luminara and Ahsoka guarding Gunray against Ventress, so I wonder if she will help him escape.

Battle Droid
11-22-2008, 03:15 PM
The episode in two weeks is Luminara and Ahsoka guarding Gunray against Ventress, so I wonder if she will help him escape.

Highly likely since he's not in the Republic's custody in ROTS. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Highly likely since he's not in the Republic's custody in ROTS. ;)
But then he'll get captured again and then released and on his way to Utapau right as ROTS is starting. lol

JediTricks
11-23-2008, 03:55 AM
This episode kinda sucked IMO, and not for reasons you'd think. First off, it was a bit much to take Padme having this guy as her uncle and having it go down so badly. Second, Jar Jar wasn't funny, it was way over the top beyond slapstick. Third, they didn't even really try to redeem Jar Jar in the story, they just let him have a super-cheap deus ex machina which is a disappointment. Surprisingly, there were a few moments where the Battle Droids actually were funny, for once. But I felt like this ep was VERY forced, the writing stank of "throw-away episode", and didn't give the audience to really get into. They could have done a lot more with the character, given him a real drive and insight instead of leaving him so thin that you wonder how they let him stay on Coruscant, much less walk around the galactic senate.

Silly episode tonight but still enjoyable. Are they really re-airing the Malevolence series next week? If so, that sucks.It's because of the lower viewers due to the holiday weekend.

Favorite quote:

Threepio: The ship has been destroyed.
Padme: Battle Droids?
Threepio: No.
Padme: Jar Jar?
Threepio: Jar Jar.

:DI actually felt that if Threepio hadn't said "Jar Jar" at the end, just given a look, it would have been comedy gold. As it played out, it was comedy bronze.

But then he'll get captured again and then released and on his way to Utapau right as ROTS is starting. lolHe'll get captured every 7 episodes, just like Grievous will narrowly avoid a fight with Obi-Wan or Anakin every 2 episodes and let his command ship get destroyed every 4 episodes. :p

Rocketboy
11-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Best episode yet.
No Ahsoka, no zombie-looking Jedi (Padme is the only human character that doesn't look dead in the eyes.) and no Grievous or Ventress!

Jar Jar and Threepio were great together. I loved the hangar bay scenes between them.
I wouldn't say I was a Jar Jar fan, but I definitely didn't hate him. I thought he got the shaft when it came to epsiodes 2 and 3. George is like "F*ck the haters, these are my movies and I'll do what I want" with every other aspect of the PT, but he all but eliminates Jar Jar when people P*ss and moan.

First off, it was a bit much to take Padme having this guy as her uncleObviously he wasn't her uncle in the literal sense. It was the same way that I'm "Uncle RB" to Cappy's kids.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Agree about the "B.E.E." aspect (although I substitute "ever" for "yet" to create a word-looking acronym). Saw it on its rerun time Sat. morning (I may do that all the time, now), but missed the first 3-4 minutes; oh well.

My favorite lines?
The "ship has been destroyed" C3/Padme dialogue.
"Oh no. Jar Jar is dead again."
The massive "Roger, roger. Roger, roger" response.

El Chuxter
11-23-2008, 10:37 AM
I don't want to get into a big debate, but this is the fourth episode I've watched, always with the hope (despite how it might seem) that I'll like it. This was, far and away, the worst. How you write an episode starring C-3PO and Jar Jar, with Jar Jar being mistaken as a Jedi, and wind up with it being unfunnier than a rerun of Two-And-A-Half Men, I don't get.

Battle Droid
11-23-2008, 10:38 AM

It's all Palpidious's doings.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-23-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't want to get into a big debate, but this is the fourth episode I've watched, always with the hope (despite how it might seem) that I'll like it. This was, far and away, the worst. How you write an episode starring C-3PO and Jar Jar, with Jar Jar being mistaken as a Jedi, and wind up with it being unfunnier than a rerun of Two-And-A-Half Men, I don't get.
I don't think you saw Rookies, did you? It's not online anymore, but they may still replay it. That may be more suited to your style, methinks.

Jargo
11-23-2008, 04:49 PM
I saw the clone wars animated movie the other night. what a pice o junk! Ahsoka is a terd. Obi-Wan is a complete douche assclown and ventress is a loser. the jerkiness of the character movement really irritated me and the whole sky guy and snips pet name thing made me vomit. battle droid dialogue was just asinine. the baby hutt aspect was worse than having damn lassie in there. i found it completely impossible to tell any clonetroopers apart the battles sequences were confusing and messy not to mention over long and dull.

and the voices were utter utter carp.

there is nothing and i mean absolute zero, nothingness, zilch zip nada etc etc, that would get me to watch a continuation of this trash. without even going into the plot and story arc everything else just outright sucks and irritates and grates on me so much i can't take it. I'd sooner eat my own testicles than watch this crud again.

Phantom-like Menace
11-23-2008, 06:03 PM
I was set up to be disappointed from the start with this episode. I really don't think the attempt was to make it funny. And I'm not saying they wanted it to be funny and the jokes didn't work, I'm saying we somehow got a basically serious episode by intent.

The only part I really cared for was Padme's helping the Rodian (don't remember his name) look like he had never switched sides.

Otherwise I'm just looking forward to the next new episode.

Tycho
11-24-2008, 02:08 AM
Right on Jargo!!! :thumbsup:

While I still (unenthusiastically) watch Clone Wars (if I don't have anything better to do), I'd echo Jargo's sentiments, though not as eloquently.

Bosskman
11-24-2008, 05:36 AM
Another mystery solved - what happened to Padme's AOTC Ship? Destroyed on Rodia by Jar Jar Binks. Never saw that one coming........

pbarnard
11-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Did anyone catch the continuity error? Padme said how the Rodian Senator was an ally of her father's in the senate. I thought her parents were politicians but teachers back on Naboo, who were never more involved than local politics.

Phantom-like Menace
11-24-2008, 09:37 AM
But you can have friends and/or allies in the senate without, yourself, being in the senate. If he helped them to pass legislation to get money to Naboo's schools, he's their ally and in the senate.

Tycho
11-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Maybe Padme's father was part of the Teachers' Union working to pass legislation to fund the No Rodian Left Behind Act.

(Obviously this program didn't succeed to benefit Greedo any.)

pbarnard
11-24-2008, 09:59 AM
No, the underlying implication was clear, her father was a sitting Senator from Naboo. So what was Palpy doing all those years because GL outlines for the prequals makes it clear Palpy was a multiterm senator who really had no record of distiniction until the Trade Federation Invasion.

Rocketboy
11-24-2008, 06:29 PM
I didn't see it as a continuity error.
I saw it as Padme's father and the Rodian senator were friends and the Rodian perhaps helped Padme's dad on certain issues.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-24-2008, 07:14 PM
I didn't see it as a continuity error.
I saw it as Padme's father and the Rodian senator were friends and the Rodian perhaps helped Padme's dad on certain issues.
Exactly. Why do people have to make it something it's not?

pbarnard
11-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Exactly. Why do people have to make it something it's not?

Because of the context. GL has wanted the Senate as cut off from the people and out of touch, so the irony of the Emperor cutting himself off from them is even more profound. He also wanted Padme to have earned her position by merit, not because she was entitled by family ties. While we know he threw out all context and meaning of the deleted scenes (Shak Ti is she dead or isn't she), it is there we see her family. No politics, never left Naboo etc until Padme got into politics. Plus never mind that the average senator would look out for his own interests and the intersts of his own planet/people before others.

Plus want to give the people who want to trash it one more reason to do so. Everything went before it either has its meaning or it has no meaning. This isn't GL going back and changing stuff.

DarkArtist
11-25-2008, 11:25 AM
well i finally was able to see the episode last night and after all is said and done, i actually thought it was rather amusing. i mean sure this is all about the Clone Wars and the lack of the main characters (ie Ashoka, Anakin, Kenobi, Grievous, Dooku etc), but the episode actually made me laugh.

Phantom-like Menace
11-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Regarding Amidala's father:

Amidala mentions that she has been friends with Senator Farr since she was a little girl, when he was her father's "strongest ally in the Senate." It is unclear what previous association Ruwie Naberrie may have had with the Galactic Senate, though his careers as educator, builder and relief worker may have caused him to work side-by-side with Senator Farr.

Rocketboy
11-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Hey look at at that, just like I guessed.

Tycho
11-26-2008, 11:36 AM
well i finally was able to see the episode last night and after all is said and done, i actually thought it was rather amusing. i mean sure this is all about the Clone Wars and the lack of the main characters (ie Ashoka, Anakin, Kenobi, Grievous, Dooku etc), but the episode actually made me laugh.

These shows need to follow a NEW central character (like how the comics took to Quinlan Vos) and that could really spark my interest.

I like appearances by Anakin and Obi-Wan, but I already know what's going to happen to them.

The writing for Quinlan had been brilliant, though. That made all the difference.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-26-2008, 01:29 PM
I would really love to see Kento Marek, Rahm Kota, and Maris Brood make an appearance in this show, to see how they were before Order 66 happened.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-26-2008, 06:18 PM
I want to see a nerf herder rebellion.

JediTricks
11-30-2008, 05:31 AM
Obviously he wasn't her uncle in the literal sense. It was the same way that I'm "Uncle RB" to Cappy's kids.Really? I thought he was married to her aunt!!! :p Yeah, I know, it just didn't fit for me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-06-2008, 12:01 AM
I thought tonight's episode was pretty great. It was extremely solid, but probably not quite the best of the series. I really liked Argyus, and Ahsoka was actually pretty awesome this time (I kind of can't believe I'm saying that :p ). Luminara was great as well.

I've been waiting for next week's episode for a long time. The Kaleesh statues outside Grievous' lair were a totally f'in' awesome touch. Oh, and I watched the DVD previews of the upcoming episodes today and can't wait for the Ryloth stuff. Finally, we'll get to see Mace kick some *** here.

bigbarada
12-06-2008, 01:10 AM
I liked tonight's episode much more than I thought I would. I was kind of hoping that we had seen our very first non-Jango Clone; but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Can't wait for next week, though. That Calamari Jedi looks awesome!

Rocketboy
12-06-2008, 08:17 AM
The show is starting to grow on me. Its getting progressively better.
This was the first episode that I didn't hate Ahsoka and Ventress.

Was it just me or was the animation a big step up? Every character was animated quite a bit better, even the Senate Guard with the goofy-@ss hair.

The biggest reason this episode was so good: Paul Dini.
The scene with Ventress sneaking around the Treadwell and planting the bombs felt like it could have lifted from Batman:TAS with Catwoman replacing Ventress.

Tycho
12-06-2008, 09:22 AM
I missed it again as I was having dinner with a friend. Oh well.

It says something that I don't really care. I'll see it all when I buy the season 1 DVD or whatever.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Only issue I have so far with the series, is that sometimes Ventress is an extremely skilled and feared lightsaber wielder. Then, when a Padawn with a single saber faces her, Ahsoka holds her own, even pressing Ventress.

But I liked a "new" character featured in Luminari. And skulking Ventress was cool to watch; showed why she's a threat. Next week's Grievous episode looks awesome.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Was it just me or was the animation a big step up? Every character was animated quite a bit better, even the Senate Guard with the goofy-@ss hair.
That's what I thought as well. Ahsoka looked really great a few times, and Luminara and Ventress were really good throughout.

Snowtrooper
12-06-2008, 05:43 PM
It was a great episode. One of the best thus far. I hope they do more with Luminara down the road. I really like her character.

Rocketboy
12-06-2008, 06:14 PM
That's what I thought as well. Ahsoka looked really great a few times, and Luminara and Ventress were really good throughout.Even one of my big complaints, the lip-syncing, was very much improved this episode.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-07-2008, 09:35 AM
I thought this was a great episode. The action was pretty top notch and I enjoyed the fact that the Republic actually lost a fight for once. :thumbsup:

figrin bran
12-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Only issue I have so far with the series, is that sometimes Ventress is an extremely skilled and feared lightsaber wielder. Then, when a Padawn with a single saber faces her, Ahsoka holds her own, even pressing Ventress.

But I liked a "new" character featured in Luminari. And skulking Ventress was cool to watch; showed why she's a threat. Next week's Grievous episode looks awesome.

Well, like Luminara said, Ventress is undisciplined and sloppy.

I enjoyed this episode a lot as well. I even put up a temporary shelf display of figures - Ahsoka and realistic Luminara sparring against CW Ventress. Even though this probably belongs in "do you segregate movie and animated figures", Luminara is not as out of place as you might think. n

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Well, like Luminara said, Ventress is undisciplined and sloppy.

I enjoyed this episode a lot as well. I even put up a temporary shelf display of figures - Ahsoka and realistic Luminara sparring against CW Ventress. Even though this probably belongs in "do you segregate movie and animated figures", Luminara is not as out of place as you might think. n
Also, they didn't really "distort" her features for the show as much as they did for most other characters, so an animated Luminara figure wouldn't even really look too different from the ones we already have.

DarkArtist
12-08-2008, 08:56 AM
i have to say i was a fan of last friday's show. interesting to see how Anakin is rubbing off on Ashoka. really looking forward to seeing where this series ventures. would love to see some of the force unleashed characters get some screen time but remember reading somewhere that Lucasfilm has no desire to use characters like Maris Brood, or others in the new cartoon.

still waiting to see how they are going to tie everything together to fit neatly into both the animated series as well as Revenge of the Sith

Ando
12-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Is there anyone else here that said to themselves "Yeah, he's a bad guy" when they saw the Senate Commando captain's hair when Ahsoka and Luminara disembarked the Republic cruiser with Nute Gunray?

My wife kept asking me why I knew he was a bad guy because of his hair (she was knitting and not paying attention). I told her to just wait. When they showed him (without his helmet) again, she said "Okay, yeah, totally."

DarkArtist
12-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Is there anyone else here that said to themselves "Yeah, he's a bad guy" when they saw the Senate Commando captain's hair when Ahsoka and Luminara disembarked the Republic cruiser with Nute Gunray?

My wife kept asking me why I knew he was a bad guy because of his hair (she was knitting and not paying attention). I told her to just wait. When they showed him (without his helmet) again, she said "Okay, yeah, totally."

yeah, i totally felt the same way about the Senate Guard. just something about him that screamed "Hi I'm the Bad Guy." although i do like the way they ended it with him. very cool

Ando
12-08-2008, 01:29 PM
He looked and sounded like Prince Charming from the Shrek movies.

JediTricks
12-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Friday's ep was ok, but Luminara and the clones seemed way too outmatched against Ventress and the droids only to be bested by a little Padawan, and Ahsoka seemed kinda Dark Side, and the traitor guy was SOOOOOO obvious based on his design. You have to suspend the notion that they're in a huge battle cruiser, and pretend they're on a spartanly held outpost, to buy what's going on. The pod hunters returned tho', that was cool, they punched right into the hull.

And once again, the CIS uppers burn their resources, that is a very bad idea for repeat business.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-09-2008, 01:19 AM
While looking at the Tartakovsky cartoon on YouTube (I haven't watched it in three years, I think, so previous accounts were off), I was trying to place the new series in the timeline. Watch the part from 2:20 to 2:46 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCt0RDz0NVo). The new series either takes place right before that or right after, is my guess. They've already retconned the hair-length issue by saying that it was already long but tied back when he's knighted a few moments earlier (to fit with a book that told the same story). The fact that he flies an Eta-2 here presents a continuity problem of sorts, but since he flew multiple different starfighters during the war (at least one red Delta-7 [The New Droid Army], two Azure Angels [the microseries and the comics], at least one red Delta-7B [The Clone Wars film; it gets destroyed], at least two yellow Delta-7Bs [one is destroyed in Downfall of a Droid, unless it was severely repaired], the yellow Eta-2 [ROTS], and the green Eta-2 [ROTS]), and the Jedi seem to move back and forth between models (Plo Koon going back to the Delta-7 in ROTS after using the Delta-7B in TCW while most other Jedi were using the Eta-2), so it's not that big of a deal. If you wanted to make the case that the new show happened before that scene, you could reason that he also tied his hair back here and was watching an old recording of Padmé giving R2-D2 to him.

So there. :p

figrin bran
12-09-2008, 02:32 AM

Actually Captain Argyus was voiced by James Marsters whom you might know as Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Or Brainiac/Milton Fine from Smallville.

DarkArtist
12-09-2008, 08:14 AM

now that I think of it, i tend to agree with you. he does remind me of the Prince Charming from Shrek.

Phantom-like Menace
12-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Actually Captain Argyus was voiced by James Marsters whom you might know as Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Or Brainiac/Milton Fine from Smallville.

Thanks for pointing that out. I wouldn't recognize it since I've only seen him on Buffy/Angel where his character has a British accent.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-12-2008, 06:34 PM
This scan from TV Guide (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_RrObyQ3XzcY/ST-oCADf8SI/AAAAAAAAsT8/WZVPrHtpwas/s1600-h/scifi+preview+3.jpg) reveals that George Takei will play fat Neimoidian Lok Durd in January. The episodes will also have lemur-like Lurmens, which it says is based on an unused concept for ROTS, which I remember seeing. Sweet!

EDIT: Tonight's episode was pretty sad, for some reason. Nahdar's death was part of it, but Grievous came off like quite a tragic figure. But I don't know why they had to call Kit's droid R6-H5 (the one in his Delta-7 is R4-H5) when R6 droids weren't invented until after the Battle of Endor, and I don't know why Grievous said he chose the modifications himself when the existing backstory said he didn't (I know he made cosmetic changes, but maybe he was just saying that). I thought A-4D was pretty funny, and it was cool to see Grievous get his legs cut off. The action took a backseat tonight, though.

And no episode until January 2, which sucks. But Anakin and Obi-Wan will be fighting a Gundark! :D

bigbarada
12-13-2008, 02:00 AM
Tonight's episode could have been titled "General Grievous' Really Bad Day." :) It was cool to see some vulnerability in Grievous. I didn't ever expect to feel sympathy for him; but this episode did a good job of generating that.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-13-2008, 02:13 AM
This video (http://starwars.com/video/view/000738.html) shows Dave talking about the Grievous aspects I mentioned and how it relates to the EU, which is pretty cool.

Battle Droid
12-13-2008, 02:29 AM
And no episode until January 2, which sucks. But Anakin and Obi-Wan will be fighting a Gundark!

I wonder if they'll pull it's ears off?

Phantom-like Menace
12-13-2008, 11:19 AM
But I don't know why they had to call Kit's droid R6-H5 (the one in his Delta-7 is R4-H5) when R6 droids weren't invented until after the Battle of Endor

This bugs me because it's so easy to keep straight, and they can't even bother to be consistently inconsistent. It's like they are thumbing their noses at continuity on this just to drive us pedants crazy.

bigbarada
12-13-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm not too worried about how this current episode affects established Grievous EU-canon.

The very first Star Wars newspaper comic, from 1978 and approved by Lucas, established that Tan Skywalker was Luke's father. That tiny bit of "EU-canon" was obviously wiped out by ESB and ROTJ.

So, Lucas ignoring print-media continuity is nothing new. I don't think that anyone should be surprised that Grievous' character will continue to be developed independently of 'established-EU' throughout the rest of this series.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-13-2008, 01:09 PM
I wonder if they'll pull it's ears off?Wasn't there a comment about Obi-Wan falling into a nest of them on the elevator ride in AOTC? I know that's before the CW began. What's it with gundarks and Jedi... you were banished because you were clumsy?

I missed this week's simply due to falling asleep. :zzz:

JediTricks
12-14-2008, 04:29 PM
I thought this episode was a bit of a letdown, not because it was bad, per se, but because it squandered so much potential in setting and storytelling. Way too much of the setting is that hallway. And once the Nu-class Shuttle got blown up, I knew Kit was going to be the only survivor, they telegraphed that way too much. The "R6" droid name was stupid, Lucas has encouraged them to be lazy here and it's lame.

The only part that really got me fired up was the Kit vs Grievous fight at the end, and that was too short and didn't pay off well.

Plus, twice in this episode Kit could have offed Grievous (at the beginning when they draw down on him, and at the end when Kit could have blasted him with the Jedi Starfighter), apparently Kit respects Grievous more than the lives of the people he kills.

And the padawan's fall needed way more time to be told.

Grievous' doctor, A-4D, being an EV droid was interesting, but his behavior and voice reminded me more of Proxy from TFU (except for 1 moment near the end where this droid goes all Christopher Walken on us). The mouth didn't flap on him though, that bugged me.

Listening to Phil Lamarr voice Kit, it was like Hermes Conrad was now a Jedi. :p I'll give him points for lightening the voice and changing the inflection to be different, but it was still obviously his Hermes voice.

bigbarada
12-14-2008, 08:51 PM
1. And the padawan's fall needed way more time to be told.

2. Grievous' doctor, A-4D, being an EV droid was interesting, but his behavior and voice reminded me more of Proxy from TFU (except for 1 moment near the end where this droid goes all Christopher Walken on us). The mouth didn't flap on him though, that bugged me.

1. Agreed, that should have been something that stretched out over 2 or 3 episodes. I'm actually getting slightly annoyed at all of these cool characters who are getting introduced and killed off in the same episode.

2. See #1, another interesting character who was killed off way too quickly. I never even noticed that his mouthpiece didn't move, though.

AmanaMatt
12-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks to the update on the main page - I will have to check these out when they hit that marathon online

I was shocked to hear only 10 have aired....

pbarnard
12-17-2008, 10:52 AM
I was shocked to hear only 10 have aired....

Why? That is usually the typical number for a series before a midseason hiatus. Clone Wars started in the fall.

Or is it disbelief it's lasted 10 episodes or that 10 episodes is an eternity?

JediTricks
12-18-2008, 06:52 PM
1. Agreed, that should have been something that stretched out over 2 or 3 episodes. I'm actually getting slightly annoyed at all of these cool characters who are getting introduced and killed off in the same episode.

2. See #1, another interesting character who was killed off way too quickly. I never even noticed that his mouthpiece didn't move, though.
Yeah, they really do need to keep more of these secondary and tertiary characters around so we can check back in with them later. The established main characters suck, while the others are all nifty and we keep losing them. I'd love to follow a few background Jedi and clones around for a few seasons, have them pop back up, see the Jedi starting to fall or the clones starting to find their personalities and unique strengths. Something like Rookies shouldn't end with nearly all the characters wiped out.

To me, the show has felt like less than 10 episodes, the weekly pacing and the handful of breaks have really slowed its momentum.

Ando
12-19-2008, 12:49 PM
... And once the Nu-class Shuttle got blown up, I knew Kit was going to be the only survivor, they telegraphed that way too much...

I thought that as well. Although they could have always sent in a gunship like they did in "Rookies"...

I really like that Nu-class shuttle. They keep featuring them (by blowing them up). I know the chances of Hasbro making them are slim to none, but I would love to have one, even if the scale is off.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Last night was the rerun of the Padme/Jar-Jar/Threepio/Uncie GreedoDude, of which I'd missed the first 5 minutes. I guess I never noticed Jar-Jar's necktie before.

Tycho
12-20-2008, 02:26 PM
I finally caught the JarJar episode and I liked it. They also let Padme actually DO something and act heroic. It was a good episode and even used C-3PO and Nute Gunray well. It was also cool to get a little more insight into Rodia's history and see Greedo's home planet. I liked the way they portrayed the Rodian senator.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Last night was the rerun of the Padme/Jar-Jar/Threepio/Uncie GreedoDude, of which I'd missed the first 5 minutes. I guess I never noticed Jar-Jar's necktie before.
Maybe that's because he wasn't wearing one. :p

CoachD
12-21-2008, 07:43 AM
I am wondering if Durge will appear in any episodes? I think he is a very cool looking character and am interested to see how they would animate him in the "new style". I dont think he got the right treatment in the earlier animated series.

I am really looking forward to the episode with Cad Bane (cargo of doom), but it doesnt air until the first of april :sad:. I just hope they dont kill him off in the same episode. he looks cool and interesting and could probably have a rich story in the EU.

Working in what happens to the young boba fett would be cool too.

So far I have really enjoyed the series as a whole and I am really looking forward to january!!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Maybe that's because he wasn't wearing one. :pWell, if you look in the first few minutes, before he goes underwater, his arm sleeves are the same purple-ish color as a narrow piece of clothing hanging from his neck, coming to a point at the bottom. I just wondered if it was meant to be "formal wear" to escort the senator. :emperorpalpatine'snewclothes:

jonthejedi
12-22-2008, 03:58 AM
I also missed "Bombad Jedi" the 1st time around, and my family & I loved it. It turned out better than I expected.

JediTricks
12-22-2008, 05:00 PM
I thought that as well. Although they could have always sent in a gunship like they did in "Rookies"...That'd only happen if they had communications gear and the Jedi Starfighter had been blown up too.

I really like that Nu-class shuttle. They keep featuring them (by blowing them up). I know the chances of Hasbro making them are slim to none, but I would love to have one, even if the scale is off.They're doing a Titanium Series of it soon, and LEGO has one out on shelves now, although it looks disappointing as the nose doesn't appear to be the boarding ramp.

Beast
01-01-2009, 04:44 PM
I don't know why Grievous said he chose the modifications himself when the existing backstory said he didn't (I know he made cosmetic changes, but maybe he was just saying that).
Isn't it established in the EU that in addition to the enhancement, they also altered Grevious' memories. They certainly could have tweaked some of them to make him believe that he had chosen the modifications after the shuttle accident that destroyed his original body.

Actaully, it looks like he may indeed have chosen the modifications himself.

Checked Wikipedia, this is what it says:

Hill approaches him and offers him the chance to live again in a cybernetic body and lead the Separatist army. Grievous initially resists — he would much rather die a warrior's death than watch his body sustained by technology — but Hill eventually persuades him by appealing to his desire for revenge.

And another site:

San Hill repeated his proposal, including a promise to replace Grievous' broken body. Desiring vengeance against the Galactic Republic and the Huk, Grievous agreed on the condition that his mind would not be tampered with.

The Kaleesh commander was taken to the planet Geonosis, where Poggle the Lesser and his Geonosian scientists implanted Grievous' brain, eyes, and vital organs into a duranium alloy body reminiscent of a Krath War Droid. In addition the Geonosians also altered his mentality and memories to make him more violent and vengeful.

Oh, and Season 1 - Volume 1 will be on DVD and probably Blu-Ray in March.

From The Digital Bits:

A few of our retail sources have checked in over the last few days to report that Warner is tentatively planning to release the CG-animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season One, Volume One on DVD (and possibly Blu-ray Disc) on 3/25. This would presumably include the first 10 or 12 episodes of the series only (and be the first release of several), as the season is continuing well into 2009. We're checking with the studio, so consider this strictly grain-of-salt until we get direct confirmation or an official announcement is made. Still, potentially cool news.

Stay tuned...

Rocketboy
01-01-2009, 05:06 PM
From a TFN interview with Dave Filoni and Henry Gilroy:

TFN: So what is the deal with General Grievous’ origin? There’s the first version with the shuttle crash where Dooku upgraded him and there’s the new one with him choosing to upgrade himself. Why the different versions?

Henry: George envisioned something different than what was created for the EU and Dave and I jumped at the chance to explore that. In my mind, the EU origin created a character that was twisted and bitter and very tragic, but not very fun. The great thing about Vader in A New Hope is, as soon as you see him onscreen, you want to boo him. He’s so over the top evil. Same with the Emperor. They are pure evil and they are fun — bad guys you love to hate! Well, until we know who Vader is. Anyway, knowing that poor old Grievous has this background as a noble warrior who was fighting for his people, then was sadly tricked my Dooku reduced him to a straight up pawn, who was played by the seppies, because he really wasn’t the master of his own destiny, he was more a product of Dooku’s evil machinations than his own pride and villainy. It was more in Grievous’ character (as created by George Lucas) to choose to upgrade himself, because he chose to sacrifice his ‘humanity’ for the power to become the greatest killer in the galaxy. He wasn’t able to do it via The Force, so he chose to make himself into a mechanical monster that dominated the most powerful beings in the galaxy, the Force users, the Jedi. Grievous is not a tragic character, he’s a cold blooded mass murderer, a classic old school villain (and different from Vader) in that he doesn’t have any redeeming characteristics. What kind of a vain egomaniac has statues of himself in his house? Maybe one who is trying to convince himself he did the right thing.

Dave: I tried to talk about this in the commentary I do online. Henry and I knew this would be a big one for EU fans. I tend to think of the Episode “Lair of Grievous” as a look more into the mind of Grievous. How you interpret the story depends largely on what backstory you like. If you believe Grievous was shot down in a shuttle by Dooku and put back together, I think that story is there, it’s just that Grievous has invented this new “story” of choosing his alterations. If you don’t believe in the EU version of the story or didn’t like it, then perhaps this new revelation that Grievous was a warrior whose lust for power made him choose to be altered, suits you better. Again a great many of the truths we cling to depend largely on our own point of view. Grievous was a great warrior in both stories, he was a Kaleesh in both stories, the major differences depend on what you believe about his past. In the end I have to say this, many die hard EU fans pick and choose the stories they think are canon based on what they like and what they don’t like. They read a novel they like it and it’s ‘in’, they don’t like it, and it’s ‘out.’ Well, we get our like and dislike in the EU directly from George and he created Star Wars, I have to say that’s a pretty big trump card. Regardless, much effort goes into trying to word things or shoot things so that the existing EU can remain, if only at times from a certain point of view.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks to the both of you. The fact that Filoni and Gilroy don't really have it as concrete goes against what Beast posted from Wikipedia (which is probably just a fan trying to reconcile both sources and isn't canon). I really like their line of thinking on this. I like to see Grievous as an over-the-top villain who would be twirling his moustache if he had one. Hopefully they'll flesh it out more as the series goes on.

Why would they release only parts of the season at a time? That's going to end up being quite a few sets. But I suppose that way I can clear out the DVR earlier and more frequently . . .

THE Slayer
01-03-2009, 02:09 AM
After watching last night's ep. I want to see an ewok. And I want to watch it attack someone!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-03-2009, 03:20 AM
It was nice to have it back on the air, and this episode was quite great. I loved the design on Obi-Wan's space suit and the Weequay ship, both of which were nice and retro. I really liked the scenes with the pirates and in the caves; they were a nice change of pace from the battles and whatnot. Who is Kharrus, though? Why not just use Ask Aak?

Rocketboy
01-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Mixed bag with the new episode, more good than bad though.
I didn't care for the way we were just dropped right in the middle of a story. And Anakin being held in a simple hold cell? Must've been a Jedi proof cell.

The interaction between Anakin and Obi-Wan was pretty funny, especially Anakin running form the gundark as Obi-Wan tries to fix his lightsaber.

Who is Kharrus, though? Why not just use Ask Aak?Since they didn't show him in the previews, I'm assuming he probably dies.

Tycho
01-03-2009, 10:44 AM
I liked this episode and there was some humor in Palpatine receiving the report that "The Sith Lord Dooku had been captured and was being held for ransom." Yeah right.

Next week looks interesting with Anakin and Obi-Wan actually interacting with Dooku some more.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-03-2009, 11:03 AM
I liked the new one, too. One thing I've noticed is that when the Jedi (or Dooku) put their hoods up on the robes, they look goofy. It's as if their head shrinks in size or something. But only one meellion credits : pinkytosideofmouth: as ransom? C'mon Weequays! You give :Pirate:s a bad name. :shothtroughtheheart:

JetsAndHeels
01-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Next week looks interesting with Anakin and Obi-Wan actually interacting with Dooku some more.

Seeing the three of them escaping together, still in binders, it reminded me of "Oh Brother Where art Thou" for some reason. :)

Beast
01-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Plus it's another Jar Jar focused episode. Yay!!

Battle Droid
01-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Binks leading Clone Troopers? :rolleyes: :razz:

Are there really no other Jedi to spare? At least send Padme.

bigbarada
01-03-2009, 01:32 PM
And Anakin being held in a simple hold cell? Must've been a Jedi proof cell.

I think Anakin was only pretending to be captured so he could scout out where Dooku was. I think I remember him saying something about making his capture look convincing.

Does this episode contradict what's considered "established EU" as far as Weequays are concerned? If so, then good. I read Tales of Jabba's Palace and the Weequay story was the stupidest one in the whole book.

Anyways, I liked the episode, but it ended in kind of an awkward spot. If they were trying to keep it a secret that Obi-Wan and Anakin are captured in the next episode, then they should have taken into account the previews that play immediately after the show.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Binks leading Clone Troopers? :rolleyes: :razz:

Are there really no other Jedi to spare? At least send Padme.
Well, the episode is called The Gungan General, and Binks was made a general in TPM (not of the GAR, but still). I've wanted to see them explore this for a while, but I don't know if this will directly tie into that.

Here (http://starwars.com/theclonewars/comics/preview2009.html) is the story of how Anakin got onto the ship.

Does this episode contradict what's considered "established EU" as far as Weequays are concerned? If so, then good. I read Tales of Jabba's Palace and the Weequay story was the stupidest one in the whole book.
What was different? I've read parts of that book but not a Weequay story, so I don't know.

bigbarada
01-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Well, the episode is called The Gungan General, and Binks was made a general in TPM (not of the GAR, but still). I've wanted to see them explore this for a while, but I don't know if this will directly tie into that.

Here (http://starwars.com/theclonewars/comics/preview2009.html) is the story of how Anakin got onto the ship.

What was different? I've read parts of that book but not a Weequay story, so I don't know.

Well, according to what I remember from the Tales book, the Weequay don't have individual identities, they're just all called Weequay and they don't speak, they communicate telepathically. I guess Ak-Rev from the Special Editions and Sora Bulq kind of threw that out the window, but then again the book could just be taken to refer to some extremist cult from the Weequay home planet and not representative of the entire species.

Either way, I thought the Weequay story from Tales of Jabba's Palace was lame.

El Chuxter
01-03-2009, 03:49 PM
What, this entire species worshipping a magic 8-ball didn't do much for you? ;)

Beast
01-03-2009, 04:36 PM
What, this entire species worshipping a magic 8-ball didn't do much for you? ;)
*Shakes BigB*

"Answer unclear. Ask again later."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Well, according to what I remember from the Tales book, the Weequay don't have individual identities, they're just all called Weequay and they don't speak, they communicate telepathically. I guess Ak-Rev from the Special Editions and Sora Bulq kind of threw that out the window, but then again the book could just be taken to refer to some extremist cult from the Weequay home planet and not representative of the entire species.

Either way, I thought the Weequay story from Tales of Jabba's Palace was lame.
Oh, okay. From what I've seen in the Encyclopedia and elsewhere, it seems like Weequay can communicate with their pheromones, but it's only used within clans so that Weequay from other clans can't understand, or whatever. It seems like they can still speak as well. And as to the names, I think only some are called Weequay, but I don't remember why (it's in different circumstances). So it doesn't completely go against that, but as you said that clan could be an odd one, or maybe these pirates don't act like "normal" Weequay.

Oh, and why do they call them "Weequayans" on the show? That was odd.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-05-2009, 12:04 AM
I liked the new one, too. One thing I've noticed is that when the Jedi (or Dooku) put their hoods up on the robes, they look goofy. It's as if their head shrinks in size or something. But only one meellion credits : pinkytosideofmouth: as ransom? C'mon Weequays! You give :Pirate:s a bad name. :shothtroughtheheart:The one scene I saw must have been Dooku, but it looked like Vader's helmet from behind for the brief moment I saw it. I thought there might be something in the cave that would inspire the Vader look or something.

Either way, I thought the Weequay story from Tales of Jabba's Palace was lame.I don't remember the telepathy part,...

What, this entire species worshipping a magic 8-ball didn't do much for you? ;)...just that part. I thought it was pretty amusing, but yes, it was kind of lame.

Of course, the public opinion of Weequays has diminished due to a bunch of young Weequay using the expreesion, "We Quay, you gay."

bigbarada
01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
I don't remember the telepathy part,...

...just that part. I thought it was pretty amusing, but yes, it was kind of lame.

Of course, the public opinion of Weequays has diminished due to a bunch of young Weequay using the expreesion, "We Quay, you gay."

It wasn't telepathy, it was the pheromone thing; but it functioned the same for the purposes of the story. I read it once back in 2000, so I don't recall all the details; but I don't make it a habit to reread stories I think are poorly written.

I bet the writer thought he was really cute with that Magic 8-Ball thing, but it was really bad as well.

SmokedPorter
01-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Glad tonight's episode is over. I couldn't stand the new voice for Jar-Jar. Most of us could do better Jar-Jar voices than whoever they picked. Jeesh...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Agreed; the voice was horrible. I kept wondering if it was Ahmed with a cold or something. I have no idea why they couldn't get him again.

I was also distracted by a few other things so I will want to watch this episode soon, because I really liked what I saw. Kharrus's staff had the headpiece of the staff of Ra, which I didn't notice during the episode, but that's quite cool. Dooku killing the pirates at the end was badass. And I thought it was weird how Anakin and Obi-Wan switched the drinks only to get knocked by the drinks anyway.

Next week with Aayla and Bly looks cool. Aayla almost sounds like she has a Spanish accent, which is interesting.

bigbarada
01-10-2009, 01:29 AM
It didn't dawn on me that someone else was voicing Jar Jar, I just noticed that his dialogue seemed a little more forced than usual.

I enjoyed the episode for the most part. I really like seeing them develop the Weequays into more than just brainless thugs. It was actually kind of surreal watching them speak to each other in close ups, because I'm just so used to seeing the immobile masks in the movies. Really cool actually and I want to see it again for that reason alone.

My only problems with the episode was that it required some leaps of logic. For instance, if Dooku could make a guard shoot himself with his blaster at the end of the episode, then why not do that before? Or why wasn't he able to pick the lock before Anakin and Obi-Wan were captured? I know the whole thing was intended to be played for comedy, but knowing that Anakin eventually cuts Dooku's head off made the situation kind of disturbing and not very funny.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-10-2009, 09:59 AM
This was the first "okay" episode I'd seen in the new series so far. Yeah, JJ's voice wasn't right (since all the other non-film voice actors' versions are holding up as close enough). Will A.Daniels be the only hold-over from thr films, then? (and is he the only person to EVER do Threepio's voice? I seem to recall that some of the books on tape of SW, ESB, or ROJ had someone else) This one certainly deserved the TV violence warning notice given before it began (which is usually where things previewing what's to come should be placed :rolleyes: ).

jedibear
01-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Okay...like all of you, I've been watching this to get a new shot of SW each week, and for the most part, I've enjoyed this new approach to presenting some SW storytelling to us, however....got a bit of a rant here, so here goes...

I don't know....I guess I have to remind myself of one thing. Episode television has it's up's and down's, where the writers get lazy and things lapse into a routine.

These last two episodes just felt flat and, pardon the pun, forced to me.
Yes, we got to see some more background characters (the Weequays) come to the fore and see their culture a bit which was cool, and there as some more of the fun, yet familiar action scenes (now we know what that gundark Han claimed Luke was ready to pull the ears off in ESB looks like and the sliding-down-the-tube pursuit with Anakin and Dooku had some visual punch while recalling Luke's plunge in ESB), but some elements are getting a little stale already and we're only a dozen episodes in...

I'm really growing tired of Ashoka saving the day for the zillionth time...why is this brat a Padawan again? No learning going on here and other than the continued back talk, what exactly is her character contributing here anyway?
Another character who needs a tune-up (badly) is Obi-Wan. It's mostly the voice...that almost smarmy, privileged tone that does not convey any of the honor, strength or charm that Ewan or Sir Alec brought to the character, Instead, he sounds like some fop with a martini in his hand instead of a lightsaber. It doesn't help that he's given lines that sound like one cutting, condescending remark after another. I like the character of Obi-Wan a lot...but this version is getting really hard to listen to.

And Jar Jar....who'd have thought any of us would miss the shriek-filled, grating stutter of Amhed Best? But if last night's episode proved anything, it's that Best is Jar Jar...just as Threepio is Anthony Daniels and the character just doesn't work without Best's unique vocal contribution. I wonder how many folks were watching with thier kids and the kids were wondering what was wrong with Jar Jar? The ultimate irony was...in this episode, Jar Jar was actually growing up a bit and, while still inherently clumsy. had some constructive contributions to make to the situation. How sad that the vocal performance was so distracting that those moments almost slipped by unnoticed...

And finally...as others have pointed out...these episodes had some real writing/logic problems, from the aforementioned drink issue (they did switch them, so what happened?) and Dooku's knife-n-force tricks being used late instead of early, but the real clunker was right at the end...it was almost like Obi-Wan looked at a clock and said, "Oops! Out of time...Jedi aren't mean but Dooku is...bye!" Very rushed and weird.

Again, this show has had some high marks...it's art and the overall feel are very unique and have been cool to watch (especially in high-def) and while it's understood that cranking out quick little stories week after week can be a challenge, I hope the team behind this can remember to take the time they need to craft something good instead of running this show into a creative, endless looping rut. We'll see....but who am I kidding? I'll still tune in each week to get my SW fix...after all, if I endured Ewoks and Droids during that long ago dark time for that fix, I can endure a mall brat and more :)...

Bel-Cam Jos
01-10-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't know....I guess I have to remind myself of one thing. Episode television has it's up's and down's, where the writers get lazy and things lapse into a routine.

Instead, he sounds like some fop with a martini in his hand instead of a lightsaber.

And finally...as others have pointed out...these episodes had some real writing/logic problems, from the aforementioned drink issue (they did switch them, so what happened?) and Dooku's knife-n-force tricks being used late instead of early, but the real clunker was right at the end...it was almost like Obi-Wan looked at a clock and said, "Oops! Out of time...Jedi aren't mean but Dooku is...bye!" Very rushed and weird.
:)...You never have to apologize for a pun.

I've thought about that. And remember, Obi-Wan was the first to reach for TC-14's drink (TPM), said he's getting a drink (AOTC), offered to buy Evazan a drink (ANH). Perhaps he's a closet drunk... from a certain point of view.

Maybe Weequays have developed an immunity to iocane powder, and ALL the cups were drugged. :rolleyes: :inconceivable:

Mad Slanted Powers
01-10-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm really growing tired of Ashoka saving the day for the zillionth time...why is this brat a Padawan again? No learning going on here and other than the continued back talk, what exactly is her character contributing here anyway?You answered your own question before you asked it. She often is saving the day. And since she is saving the day, maybe she doesn't have anything to learn and she shouldn't be a Padawan, but a full-fledged Jedi Knight instead.

You never have to apologize for a pun.Agreed.

Maybe Weequays have developed an immunity to iocane powder, and ALL the cups were drugged. :rolleyes: :inconceivable:My thought was maybe they knew they would switch the drinks so the put it in those other cups. Or it could be just as Obi-Wan said, that the drinks packed more of a punch than they expected, and as you said, the Weequays were used to it.

bigbarada
01-10-2009, 05:33 PM
If they had just not shown Anakin and Obi-Wan switching the cups (or even noticing the drug, for that matter), then the beginning of the next episode would have flowed more smoothly.

jedibear
01-10-2009, 07:48 PM
You answered your own question before you asked it. She often is saving the day. And since she is saving the day, maybe she doesn't have anything to learn and she shouldn't be a Padawan, but a full-fledged Jedi Knight instead.

Great idea! They should do that now, spin her off onto her own show and then I'd never have to watch her again! :)

But seriously...I've been reading Karen Miller's "CW: Wild Space" (great book) and while Ashoka only has a few brief scenes, Miller writes her in such a way where she actually shows a little humility and does more than save the day with smart remarks. I just wish the show would present her a little more like that.
Hey, if Jar Jar can change (a bit) than she certainly could, eh?

JediTricks
01-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Glad tonight's episode is over. I couldn't stand the new voice for Jar-Jar. Most of us could do better Jar-Jar voices than whoever they picked. Jeesh...Agreed, not only was it off, but the lines they gave him didn't. It wasn't Ahmed Best, it was someone named BJ Hughes.

I was also distracted by a few other things so I will want to watch this episode soon, because I really liked what I saw. Kharrus's staff had the headpiece of the staff of Ra, which I didn't notice during the episode, but that's quite cool. Dooku killing the pirates at the end was badass. And I thought it was weird how Anakin and Obi-Wan switched the drinks only to get knocked by the drinks anyway.
I didn't care for this episode too much. The Jedi were unimpressive yet again, only Dooku's act at the end was a wow. Jar Jar's antics literally got people killed this time, that bugged me. And Obi-Wan & Anakin getting knocked out, you are so right about that, that didn't work at all.

I enjoyed the episode for the most part. I really like seeing them develop the Weequays into more than just brainless thugs. It was actually kind of surreal watching them speak to each other in close ups, because I'm just so used to seeing the immobile masks in the movies. Really cool actually and I want to see it again for that reason alone.I didn't like the way they made them somewhat generic in behavior and in facial movements.

My only problems with the episode was that it required some leaps of logic. For instance, if Dooku could make a guard shoot himself with his blaster at the end of the episode, then why not do that before? Or why wasn't he able to pick the lock before Anakin and Obi-Wan were captured? I know the whole thing was intended to be played for comedy, but knowing that Anakin eventually cuts Dooku's head off made the situation kind of disturbing and not very funny.Good points.

Yes, we got to see some more background characters (the Weequays) come to the fore and see their culture a bit which was cool, and there as some more of the fun, yet familiar action scenes (now we know what that gundark Han claimed Luke was ready to pull the ears off in ESB looks like and the sliding-down-the-tube pursuit with Anakin and Dooku had some visual punch while recalling Luke's plunge in ESB), but some elements are getting a little stale already and we're only a dozen episodes in...

I'm really growing tired of Ashoka saving the day for the zillionth time...why is this brat a Padawan again? No learning going on here and other than the continued back talk, what exactly is her character contributing here anyway?
Another character who needs a tune-up (badly) is Obi-Wan. It's mostly the voice...that almost smarmy, privileged tone that does not convey any of the honor, strength or charm that Ewan or Sir Alec brought to the character, Instead, he sounds like some fop with a martini in his hand instead of a lightsaber. It doesn't help that he's given lines that sound like one cutting, condescending remark after another. I like the character of Obi-Wan a lot...but this version is getting really hard to listen to.
Agreed all around, although the gundarks' looks were distracting, that design was too familiar actually, like a warped giant mickey mouse.

Ahsoka is not well-used, that's for darn sure.

I totally agree on Obi-Wan's voice, and the way they write him too! This character is so far off it's painful.

The ultimate irony was...in this episode, Jar Jar was actually growing up a bit and, while still inherently clumsy. had some constructive contributions to make to the situation. How sad that the vocal performance was so distracting that those moments almost slipped by unnoticed...IMO, that bit where he somehow uses his brains for the first time was very contrived, not at all a natural extension of the character. And then his later contribution is back to the old idiotic Jar Jar.

the real clunker was right at the end...it was almost like Obi-Wan looked at a clock and said, "Oops! Out of time...Jedi aren't mean but Dooku is...bye!" Very rushed and weird.They're not in Republic territory, so they're like cops, they can't do anything over the jurisdictional line. This is not the Jedi Order we were told about before, the one that was made up of the guardians of peace and justice. I know they meant his "the CIS might come and getcha" to be a sly out for them, but it fell flat.

Again, this show has had some high marks...it's art and the overall feel are very unique and have been cool to watch (especially in high-def) and while it's understood that cranking out quick little stories week after week can be a challenge, I hope the team behind this can remember to take the time they need to craft something good instead of running this show into a creative, endless looping rut.Dave Filoni previously worked on Avatar, where he helped helm those characters and that story into some great tales. I think here, having to use defined characters and end points and such has tied the hands of those involved. I want this to branch out, any story that isn't centered on the main characters so far has been pretty good IMO, but then we have to get back to Obi-Wan and Ani and Jar Jar and Grievous and Ahsoka, and it kinda grinds to a halt.

I've thought about that. And remember, Obi-Wan was the first to reach for TC-14's drink (TPM), said he's getting a drink (AOTC), offered to buy Evazan a drink (ANH). Perhaps he's a closet drunk... from a certain point of view.Ewan said after making Ep 1 that working on the TPM set turned him into a drunk.

You answered your own question before you asked it. She often is saving the day. And since she is saving the day, maybe she doesn't have anything to learn and she shouldn't be a Padawan, but a full-fledged Jedi Knight instead.They should make a new rank just for her, Jedi Deusexmachina - the one who saves the day without learning much of anything.

My thought was maybe they knew they would switch the drinks so the put it in those other cups. Or it could be just as Obi-Wan said, that the drinks packed more of a punch than they expected, and as you said, the Weequays were used to it.Then they should have shown them putting the drug in all of them, or none of them, or not shown Ani & Obi-Wan switching cups.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Will A.Daniels be the only hold-over from thr films, then? (and is he the only person to EVER do Threepio's voice? I seem to recall that some of the books on tape of SW, ESB, or ROJ had someone else)
On the Samuel L. Jackson AMC tribute show recently, Tom Kane voiced C-3PO, which was surprising and jarring. I hope Daniels always does the character (it's not like he does much else anyway). I have no idea why Best was unavailable here, but I saw that the Rodia episode was the fifth one produced and this new one was twentieth - maybe he didn't want to come back? I don't know.

And Obi-Wan & Anakin getting knocked out, you are so right about that, that didn't work at all.
It would have been one thing if they had them knocked out with the comment about the drinks being too strong, but showing the clips from the previous episode and not showing the switch was too much. In the starwars.com online comic, Pilf Mukmuk (the Kowakian monkey-lizard, who I swear was named Pikk last week but they edited the episode guide) drugs their drinks again, as well as everyone else's. Or something like that. At any rate, if they simply hadn't included the switch at the end of the last episode, or hadn't included the drugging at all, then it would have worked tons better.

They should make a new rank just for her, Jedi Deusexmachina - the one who saves the day without learning much of anything.
Whether or not it's Ahsoka, there's been a deus ex machina in pretty much episode, which is getting repetitive. Why can't the characters work their own way out of these situations without being saved?

Rocketboy
01-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Rather bland episode. Too cliche with the good guys teaming up with the bad guy.

And I didn't even notice Jar Jar had a new voice.

El Chuxter
01-11-2009, 01:53 AM
I watched about half of it, and I'm done. Sorry. I've tried. The parts I saw just require way too much suspension of disbelief. And, as I turned away from Lilo & Stitch (the movie, not the show) to see it, the animation looked even carpier than usual by comparison.

bigbarada
01-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I watched about half of it, and I'm done. Sorry. I've tried.

I'm actually getting less and less enthusiastic about the show as I see more of it. If this show is not going to answer some of the glaring plot holes generated by the PT, then what's the point? I'm not talking about inconsistencies between the OT and PT, but inconsistencies within the prequels themselves. Sifo-Dyas immediately comes to mind.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-11-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm actually getting less and less enthusiastic about the show as I see more of it. If this show is not going to answer some of the glaring plot holes generated by the PT, then what's the point? I'm not talking about inconsistencies between the OT and PT, but inconsistencies within the prequels themselves. Sifo-Dyas immediately comes to mind.
They've covered Sifo-Dyas in the comics, and it's pretty much exactly what it sounds like in AOTC. It's supposed to be mysterious and odd, and I doubt the Jedi ever figure out what really happened, so why would this need to be shown?

The parts I saw just require way too much suspension of disbelief.
Unlike anything else in Star Wars. ;)

Tycho
01-11-2009, 01:08 PM
I missed it again. I was out with a friend and didn't care to make this a priority. I'm going to buy a DVD box set eventually.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-11-2009, 01:36 PM
I missed it again. I was out with a friend and didn't care to make this a priority. I'm going to buy a DVD box set eventually.
They show them many times throughout the week, including Sunday nights, so you have other chances to watch if you're so inclined. :)

bigbarada
01-11-2009, 02:00 PM
They've covered Sifo-Dyas in the comics, and it's pretty much exactly what it sounds like in AOTC. It's supposed to be mysterious and odd, and I doubt the Jedi ever figure out what really happened, so why would this need to be shown?

Because it needs to be covered onscreen. Not everyone who watches the films is going to go out and buy the comic books. Lucas should have revealed what happened in Ep3; but since he didn't, this series is his last chance to explain exactly who Sifo-Dyas was and how he could order the creation of the Clone Army without the Jedi Council's knowledge. To say that it's supposed to be "mysterious and odd" so we shouldn't worry about it, is just excusing lazy writing on Lucas' part.

Beast
01-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Because it needs to be covered onscreen. Not everyone who watches the films is going to go out and buy the comic books. Lucas should have revealed what happened in Ep3; but since he didn't, this series is his last chance to explain exactly who Sifo-Dyas was and how he could order the creation of the Clone Army without the Jedi Council's knowledge. To say that it's supposed to be "mysterious and odd" so we shouldn't worry about it, is just excusing lazy writing on Lucas' part.
I never considered it necessary to cover that aspect.

Not every little story point needs to be dragged out into an explaination.

There's tons of little refrences and plot points that were made in all of the films. Such as the Bothan Spies. And most of them have been expanded on in the EU somewhere. Not that any of them ever needed to be. Just like this doesn't need to be covered in the toon.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-11-2009, 03:18 PM
I think the movie pretty much explained it as well as it needed to be. Jango was hired by a man called Tyranus. Sidious called Dooku Lord Tyranus. Obi-Wan says that the clone army was ordered by Sifo-Dyas 10 years ago, but believed he was killed before that. So, I think this all adds up to Dooku posing as Sifo-Dyas and requesting the army.

El Chuxter
01-11-2009, 05:55 PM
I was talking about suspension of disbelief within the framework set up by what we know is Star Wars. "Two Jedi and a Sith Lord get tied together and hilarity ensues, especially when one scene clearly shows the glowing rope in no way impedes their Force abilities." :confused:

Or Jar Jar taking command of the Clonetroopers in the Jedi's absence. Just like in real like, when Barbara Boxer goes to Iraq to observe, and the commanding officer is killed by a mortar attack, Senator Boxer takes direct control because she's the most qualified. :rolleyes:

Mad Slanted Powers
01-11-2009, 06:07 PM
I was talking about suspension of disbelief within the framework set up by what we know is Star Wars. "Two Jedi and a Sith Lord get tied together and hilarity ensues, especially when one scene clearly shows the glowing rope in no way impedes their Force abilities." :confused:Why does the ability to use the Force have to be incompatible with hilarity? They could use the Force, but it didn't seem to have an effect on the binders. I had more of a suspension of disbelief in the other Clone Wars series when Mace is flying around and taking out an entire droid army and large vehicle with mad Hong Kong Phooey skillz.

Or Jar Jar taking command of the Clonetroopers in the Jedi's absence. Just like in real like, when Barbara Boxer goes to Iraq to observe, and the commanding officer is killed by a mortar attack, Senator Boxer takes direct control because she's the most qualified. :rolleyes:It wasn't because he was most qualified. It was because he outranked them. I don't believe that U.S. Senators have any military authority over soldiers. The President is the one that is the Commander-in-Chief.

clone157
01-11-2009, 08:54 PM
I would love to see them tackle some of the Dark Horse comic series in the show. I know that it's too much to hope for with the more adult themes, but it would be nice to see some of the characters in the animated style. At least we're gonna see Aayla. These guys have a unique opportunity to introduce new characters, too, but so far we've only seen one new jedi. They're doing a great job with the clones (better than Hasbro), but these are always small skirmishes that we are seeing. I want more BATTLES. I want to see more heavy artillery, more ships, more wars. Oh and I want to see some Commando action, Delta, Omega, or whoever else the Republic has to offer.

JediTricks
01-11-2009, 10:04 PM
On the Samuel L. Jackson AMC tribute show recently, Tom Kane voiced C-3PO, which was surprising and jarring. I hope Daniels always does the character (it's not like he does much else anyway). I have no idea why Best was unavailable here, but I saw that the Rodia episode was the fifth one produced and this new one was twentieth - maybe he didn't want to come back? I don't know.Daniels seems to always do the voice for anything officially Star Wars media, while games and guest appearances get given to others.

No idea what's up with Best tho'.

It would have been one thing if they had them knocked out with the comment about the drinks being too strong, but showing the clips from the previous episode and not showing the switch was too much. In the starwars.com online comic, Pilf Mukmuk (the Kowakian monkey-lizard, who I swear was named Pikk last week but they edited the episode guide) drugs their drinks again, as well as everyone else's. Or something like that. At any rate, if they simply hadn't included the switch at the end of the last episode, or hadn't included the drugging at all, then it would have worked tons better.He was Pukk 2 weeks ago, their press department sent out a correction last week.

Whether or not it's Ahsoka, there's been a deus ex machina in pretty much episode, which is getting repetitive. Why can't the characters work their own way out of these situations without being saved?Rookies, Ambush, and Lair of Grievous are the only eps I'd count as not deus ex machina for either side of the battle. It's a bad sign. Or as Lucas would say, "it's the will of the Force". :rolleyes:

They've covered Sifo-Dyas in the comics, and it's pretty much exactly what it sounds like in AOTC. It's supposed to be mysterious and odd, and I doubt the Jedi ever figure out what really happened, so why would this need to be shown?Lucas claims it was "obvious" that it was Dooku using a false name. I was annoyed by how he treated that so matter-of-factly.

I think the movie pretty much explained it as well as it needed to be. Jango was hired by a man called Tyranus. Sidious called Dooku Lord Tyranus. Obi-Wan says that the clone army was ordered by Sifo-Dyas 10 years ago, but believed he was killed before that. So, I think this all adds up to Dooku posing as Sifo-Dyas and requesting the army.No, Ep 2 doesn't explain it well, that's the problem, the film dedicates a considerable amount of effort to make it sound like something more than it is, then leaves it without answers and walks away from it. All they had to do was not say some of those things about him and it would have been easy to ascribe to Dooku, but the characters go into more depth than necessary and highlight timeline problems with the concept (died before Dooku became a Sith yet the clones were ordered around the time he died).

I was talking about suspension of disbelief within the framework set up by what we know is Star Wars. "Two Jedi and a Sith Lord get tied together and hilarity ensues, especially when one scene clearly shows the glowing rope in no way impedes their Force abilities." :confused:

Or Jar Jar taking command of the Clonetroopers in the Jedi's absence. Just like in real like, when Barbara Boxer goes to Iraq to observe, and the commanding officer is killed by a mortar attack, Senator Boxer takes direct control because she's the most qualified. :rolleyes:Too true, both aspects. Jedi who are pretty much incompetent at every turn simply because the story needs them to be.

I thought they were gonna at least say that because Jar Jar was in the Naboo Gungan army as a general, it made him the ranking officer, but instead they went a different way altogether and it was just contrived.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Rookies, Ambush, and Lair of Grievous are the only eps I'd count as not deus ex machina for either side of the battle. It's a bad sign. Or as Lucas would say, "it's the will of the Force". :rolleyes:
Well, in Lair of Grievous, there's the part when R6-H5 comes back to save Kit from Grievous, so I'd count that, too.

I thought they were gonna at least say that because Jar Jar was in the Naboo Gungan army as a general, it made him the ranking officer, but instead they went a different way altogether and it was just contrived.
Exactly. I said earlier that I wanted them to explore his general side, but this wasn't right.

JediTricks
01-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Although R6-H5 is a machine, it's not a deus ex machina. :p We have the reason for this rescue well substantiated throughout - Kit gets there with the droid in the fighter, Kit tells the droid what to do with the fighter while he's away, we see the droid take that action to protect, Kit orders the droid to come get him, and then we see the droid-piloted fighter pick him up.

"The Gungan General" title makes you think "they're gonna at least MENTION it", then nothing.

bigbarada
01-11-2009, 11:23 PM
I never considered it necessary to cover that aspect.

Not every little story point needs to be dragged out into an explaination.

There's tons of little refrences and plot points that were made in all of the films. Such as the Bothan Spies. And most of them have been expanded on in the EU somewhere. Not that any of them ever needed to be. Just like this doesn't need to be covered in the toon.

The Bothan spies were not necessary to explain, because it just makes sense that the Rebellion would have special operatives working constantly behind the scenes.

The creation of the Clone Army is a major event in the SW universe and it's not properly explained how it came about.

Here's what we know based on the films:

1. the army was ordered from the Kaminoans by a man named Sifo-Dyas.
2. The Kaminoans believe Sifo-Dyas is a Jedi Master and a member of the Jedi Council, acting on the authority of the Senate.
3. Obi-Wan seems to know who Sifo-Dyas is and is under the impression that he died ten years earlier (roughly TPM timeframe).
4. Upon hearing of Sifo-Dyas, Yoda and Mace simply look at each other thoughtfully, but don't say a word about it.
5. Jango was hired by a man called Tyranus and we know, from the action figures that Dooku is Darth Tyranus. However, that title is never used onscreen.
6. Sifo-Dyas is very similar to the name Sidious.
7. Even though he has no idea where the Clone Army came from, Yoda still takes the risk of leading them into battle to save the Jedi on Geonosis.

That's it, that's all we know based on the films, because the topic is just dropped and not even dealt with in Ep3. All we see is the Jedi have now entrusted their lives to these Clonetroopers; but the true origins of this army is never revealed.

Honestly, I believe Lucas just wrote himself into a corner with Sifo-Dyas and instead of dealing with it, he just gave up and started thinking about ways to add more CG characters to the film, in the hopes that the audience would just forget.

If Dooku did order the Clone Army, then it needs to be explained why the Jedi were so willing to trust the Clones. If Sifo-Dyas is not Dooku, then who is he? It's a major plot point that's just dropped and never dealt with. Extremely lazy on Lucas' part.

An equivalent would be if Lucas had just left Yoda's "There is another" statement, in ESB, hanging and never revealed who that other was in ROTJ.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-12-2009, 12:21 AM
5. Jango was hired by a man called Tyranus and we know, from the action figures that Dooku is Darth Tyranus. However, that title is never used onscreen.It was used on screen at the end when Dooku met up with Sidious. He says, "Welcome home Lord Tyranus. You have done well."

So what we have is this:

1. Obi-Wan said that Sifo-Dyas had been killed before the clone army had been ordered, so he was not the one who actually placed the order.

2. Jango Fett said he was recruited by a man called Tyranus.

3. Darth Sidious calls Dooku "Lord Tyranus".

So, I don't think there is really anymore to it than that. There may be some mystery as to whether Dooku himself was impersonating Sifo-Dyas, or if he had someone else make do it, but it's not really important. All we really need to know is that Palpatine is Sidious and he was behind the whole thing. If we didn't already know it, that was revealed in ROTS.

While I agree, the look Mace and Yoda had seemed to indicate they knew something that we didn't, I think it was probably just them reacting to the news. The next thing they say after Obi-Wan signs off is about how they were blind to not see this, and that their ability to use the Force has diminished.

El Chuxter
01-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Sifo-Dyas is explained onscreen about as well as "that bounty hunter we ran into on Ord Mantell" or "my little manuever at the Battle of Tanaab."

Trouble is, there's a show filling in holes in the prequels, and it's not addressing the big "huh?" question of AOTC. There was no show in the early 80s (at least until after ROTJ, and not dealing with main characters).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-12-2009, 09:56 PM
At any rate . . . I said earlier that Aayla sounded like she had a Spanish accent; turns out it's supposed to be French, according to Dave Filoni. That makes more sense, but is still kind of out of the blue (ZING!).

figrin bran
01-13-2009, 01:03 AM

You could also watch episodes on the Cartoon Network site.

Mr.JJL, would you rather that Aayla had a New Zealand accent? :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-14-2009, 03:14 PM
I've already got my fill of New Zealand accents from the clones, thanks! :D

According to SSG's main page, the first four episodes (Ambush, the Malevolence trilogy) will be out on a DVD in March, which I suppose was the listing mentioned earlier. They said it's so people can get some of them right away, and a full box set is coming later with more special features and such. I'm definitely watiting until the box set, then.

JediTricks
01-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Sifo-Dyas is explained onscreen about as well as "that bounty hunter we ran into on Ord Mantell" or "my little manuever at the Battle of Tanaab."The difference is that those lines were statements with virtually no weight, you can have statements like that all over the place and they don't have to mean anything. Sifo-Dyas on the other hand is presented as a question, a significant mystery that only deepens when the Jedi council members are contacted. And then it's left hanging. There's a chunk of connective tissue missing from the whole thing and it's magnified by those questions we're given.

At any rate . . . I said earlier that Aayla sounded like she had a Spanish accent; turns out it's supposed to be French, according to Dave Filoni. That makes more sense, but is still kind of out of the blue (ZING!).I don't like how they're giving all the Jedi different human accents, it's offputting to hear those accents get out there so much without any alteration. I didn't care for the New Zealand accents of Jango and Baby Fett, so hearing more un-otherworldly accents only exacerbates it.

pbarnard
01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Anyone see the "rumor mongoring" that the first 4 episodes are going to be released on DVD in March?

Pet peeve of mine is the multiple volume DVD release of a single season (hear that Battlestar Galactica!!!).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Anyone see the "rumor mongoring" that the first 4 episodes are going to be released on DVD in March?

Pet peeve of mine is the multiple volume DVD release of a single season (hear that Battlestar Galactica!!!).
Read the post I made fourteen minutes before yours and then report back here. :D

bigbarada
01-17-2009, 03:42 AM
Releasing just a few episodes at a time on DVD seems to be pretty common for kid's shows. If they can cash in on impatient kids and their oblivious parents, then more power to them I guess. Those of us who know better will just wait for the full season to be released.

Not much to say about tonight's episode, I need to see the second part before I can form any real opinion on it. I think I know where the story is going, but I want to watch it to be sure. Maybe the writers will surprise me.

I wasn't overly impressed with the animation for Aayla. It seems like they were trying so hard to make her look sexy in every single frame that she ended up looking too stiff and unexpressive. Not nearly as well animated as Luminara was a few episodes back.

Asokha's rebellious-teenager schtick is getting really old, though. You would think that she would learn to respect the wisdom and experience of her elders and not backtalk and defy them at every turn. At least in this episode she was actually wrong about something and admitted it.

SmokedPorter
01-17-2009, 09:48 AM
I was a bit distracted watching this one as I was watching & reading to my son. But I thought it was a great episode. One of my favorites. This is what the show should be like week after week.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2009, 10:12 AM
I thought, when they showed Aayla from the front, that she looked like she had a pregnant belly. (?!?) Someone here wondering earlier about her Spanish accent? Well, "secura" is Spanish for safe or secure. iQue Buena! :pleased: And all the characters' walking this time seemed odd to me for some reason.

But I liked the storyline, and actually I felt the characterization was good for this episode. I, too, am curious to see how it ends (hopefully more fulfilling than the Dooku Gets Captured one).

neosapian77
01-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Releasing just a few episodes at a time on DVD seems to be pretty common for kid's shows. If they can cash in on impatient kids and their oblivious parents, then more power to them I guess. Those of us who know better will just wait for the full season to be released.

Not much to say about tonight's episode, I need to see the second part before I can form any real opinion on it. I think I know where the story is going, but I want to watch it to be sure. Maybe the writers will surprise me.

I wasn't overly impressed with the animation for Aayla. It seems like they were trying so hard to make her look sexy in every single frame that she ended up looking too stiff and unexpressive. Not nearly as well animated as Luminara was a few episodes back.

Asokha's rebellious-teenager schtick is getting really old, though. You would think that she would learn to respect the wisdom and experience of her elders and not backtalk and defy them at every turn. At least in this episode she was actually wrong about something and admitted it.

I hope Ashoka and the makers of this show turn into bantha fodder

Beast
01-17-2009, 12:41 PM
I hope Ashoka and the makers of this show turn into bantha fodder
If you don't like it, don't watch it. Many of us are enjoying it.

dr_evazan22
01-17-2009, 01:00 PM
I know that the Destroyer Droids are supposed to be based off of the Colicoid insect species, or am I mistaken and their ability to roll was taken from the "Lemurans"?

And, OK, the Lemurans don't like, or believe, in killing things. Then we see the healer kid hog tie the wild beast, showing the Jedi how its done. Well, are the beasts left tied up to die of starvation? Or does the unlucky Lemuran that gets to untie the beast get eaten or mauled?

I agree with whoever said the characterization was a little better this ep; makes me wish each ep was a little longer to better develop those characters. Ah, who am I kidding, even I think most of the characters are pretty one dimensional. I almost feel bad for all the red shirt clones that keep getting killed.

I wonder how in the universe the Seps were able to track the Jedi, and get there first. Yularen probably won't get there until all the Lemurans are either dead or are forced into picking sides to survive.

neosapian77
01-17-2009, 01:54 PM
If you don't like it, don't watch it. Many of us are enjoying it.

oooo... are mutants entitled to free speech?

Beast
01-17-2009, 02:02 PM
oooo... are mutants entitled to free speech?

clone157
01-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Lemurians. Another item from the Art of EPIII rehashed. Don't get me wrong, I loved Plo Koon's double bladed lightsaber. Maybe we will see Cato Nemoidia as well soon. Or even better, a conehead with an eye patch. and P.S. Aayla had a French accent.
oh well, Lemurians, ROLL OUT.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-17-2009, 03:44 PM
The Lurmens' rolling ability was taken from the Amanin, who are native to Maridun. Everyone should watch the weekly commentaries on StarWars.com; they're usually quite interesting.

This week's episode was probably one of the best of the series. The visuals were pretty constantly stunning; I loved the "space" battle with the sky backdrop, for one. Tee Watt Kaa and the pacifist aspect was really cool to see. And I liked the characterization of Aayla and Bly as well. It was just a nice change of pace from the more action-oriented episodes. Oh, and I liked the tactical droid here, as it showed (finally) that Grievous isn't in command of every single battle.

As to Aayla's accent: they said that the Twi'leks were all given that French accent, and in a DVD extra, they said that the Ryloth episodes were to be like Normandy. It's a weird connection, to be sure, but a cool one.

Rocketboy
01-17-2009, 04:10 PM
The entire episode was pretty so-so overall. Ahsoka is really annoying again. The battle in the sky was really good looking and well animated though.

Aayla's accent almost killed the character for me. I don't think it fits her at all. I always "heard" her more with a standard American accent.

Ji'dai
01-17-2009, 05:55 PM
I wasn't overly impressed with the animation for Aayla. It seems like they were trying so hard to make her look sexy in every single frame that she ended up looking too stiff and unexpressive. Not nearly as well animated as Luminara was a few episodes back. These blue Twilek chicks have some big a** hips don't they? Must have been her impossibly tiny waist that made her body seem out of proportion.

This is my third episode and I kind of like the show. I hate having to wait each week for a new episode though. I'll get to see Lair of Grievous on Monday but there's not another new ep until Friday.

Hopefully Cartoon Network will do another marathon like they apparently did during the week of christmas. Watching them on the 'net is not an option so I've gotta depend on CN to do another encore.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-17-2009, 07:49 PM
The entire episode was pretty so-so overall. Ahsoka is really annoying again. The battle in the sky was really good looking and well animated though.

Aayla's accent almost killed the character for me. I don't think it fits her at all. I always "heard" her more with a standard American accent.
I imagined that, too, because that's how pretty much all the accents have been before now. It's either American or British if you're human (or Swedish if you're Shmi :p) or Asian-like if you're Neimoidian, even in the video games, from what I'd heard. (Along with various voices that may or may not be accents, like Ackbar.) But, if we have this many accents in the real world, then why not in SW, too? It was a little weird to hear it and I thought they were trying to do the "hot French girl" thing for Aayla before I heard they gave it to all Twi'leks, but I think it works fine.

I bet Aqualish sound Italian. :D

Rocketboy
01-17-2009, 10:34 PM
But the thing is I haven't had a problem with any of the other accents used previously, like Luminara, because they worked; they felt right for the character.
Aayla's just sounds...wrong. I don't know how else to explain it.

DarkArtist
01-18-2009, 08:28 PM
i have to say i'm really enjoying the series so far. at first i was very unsure of how the series would go (wasn't impressed with the movie) but after watching the movie a second time and catching the episodes on TV i have to say i really like where this series might eventually go. even Ashoka is growing on me.

my question which is open to speculation: How do you think they will handle Ashoka's character in regards to ROTS and Order 66. I'm sorta hoping that they do an Order 66 episode where they show her being attacked by her troops or something or maybe as one of the Jedi hunted down by Vader during the Jedi Purge. my best guess is that she is going to meet her end at the hands of Grievous or Dooku but would love the Order 66 idea.

jedibear
01-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Gotta agree with Rocketboy here...I didn't like the vocal performance for Aayla either. It just didn't work. Does every female Jedi on this show (with the glaring exception of mall brat Ashoka) have to have an exotic Euro-centric accent of some kind? It's rather distracting....

I did enjoy this episode though...much better than the last two (the Ani/Obi/Dooku road comedy)...even Ashoka didn't grate on me as badly as she usually does.

I like it that the artists keep hitting up the archives for different things...like the lemur people who were originally a concept for the Utapauns until their look was refined to what it was. They were almost too cuddley here(like ewoks), but we've seen that in the saga before, so....but what really worked for me with them was the concept of a people not buying into the Galactic War or the Jedi's role in it...gave that a more complicated slant to consider...something that has gone on in the comics and the books for a while, but it was nice to see it brought into the show.

And I wonder which master Aayla was referring to? Master Vos or Master Tholme? Whichever the case, I hope we see one of them in a forthcoming episode...

DA...as for Ashoka's fate...I don't think we'll see her gunned down during an "Order 66" sequence...this show is spending too much capital to make her appeal to the young audience for that. if anything, it'll either be an "off-camera" fate with Order 66 or she will go on some mission and get the word via the changed beacon and disappear...to maybe re-appear in another incarnation of the story later (all grown up in hiding on the live-action show maybe?) She's the hero of a kid's show now, and while one could argue "Well, Anakin becomes Vader", that's a little disconnected for kids compared to following a cute character designed for them to relate to.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Purely speculating, but based on Anakin's demeanor in ROTS, I'd say that Ahsoka wasn't alive by the rescue of Palpatine. Perhaps she was elevated to Knight and didn't survive a mission or battle. Just a theory. I do agree that I doubt she'll not survive the CW cartoon; too much for young minds to show a major character like her to die.

Rocketboy
01-19-2009, 10:57 AM
My speculation:
The series will end shortly before Episode III. Ahsoka will be gravely injured during a mission and only appears to have been killed, possibly at the hands of Dooku, or at the very least, on Dooku's orders. Anakin never learns that she survives, making his decapitation of Dooku in Sith motivated by revenge.
By the time Ahsoka is healed enough to return to Coruscant, Order 66 is in effect, the War is over, and Anakin is now Vader.
Ahsoka finds Obi-Wan instead of Anakin and, for her own protection, tells her Anakin is dead and she needs to hide. She goes into hiding and will return to annoy us in the future.

If I had my way (If her character doesn't grow up a lot over the course of the series):
Ahsoka will die a slow and painful death. Or Anakin will wake up and realize it was all a dream.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Logical speculation:
Ahsoka will end the CW cartoon series alive, therefore her "demise" can be described in a future novel, video game, film, etc.

Interesting speculation, but far-fetched and possibly dangerous:
Ahsoka survives Order 66, goes into hiding, but turns to the Dark Side once she realizes what's happened. However, she can't bring herself to ally herself with Palpatine and she trains Sith Lords (undermines much of the Sith/Jedi history already developed).

Weird speculation:
Ahsoka is injured (hand/arm severed? eye damaged? leg amputated?) and becomes a sort of cyborg Padawan to Anakin, so his reaction to the mask being put over his face in ROTS having a sense of flashback and melacholy). She becomes a Jedi Knight, but disappears after O66.

Best speculation:
???
:p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Hmm, it's scenario-making time.

She could die during the war.
*I doubt Grievous will kill her; Anakin is too calm and jokey with him in ROTS for that.
*Having Dooku kill her could work. Anakin already hates him and this could add to that, and wouldn't be too jarring with their appearance in ROTS. Palpatine mentions how Dooku cut off his arm and he wanted revenge for that, though, so you think he'd mention that instead.
*If she were to get killed by a major villain, I'd bet on Ventress. Then Anakin could beat her *** but she'd live to fight another day as per the comics.
*Or Ahsoka could just die in battle or something, leaving Anakin with more guilt for perhaps feeling responsible. It couldn't hurt to add Ahsoka on the "dead people Anakin was close to" list along with Shmi; if done well, it could even add to the impact of his attempts to stop death in ROTS.

She could survive at least to ROTS.
*She could even still be Anakin's Padawan at the time of ROTS; they've been apart in the show before, so it's possible.
*She could get reassigned to a different master after Anakin messes up or something.
*She could get killed by Vader, but I seriously doubt they would show that here (and hope it doesn't happen).
*She could get killed by Rex in Order 66 depending on how far the show goes, which would be interesting and show more of the impact of that action (since it annoys me how in other EU a crapload of Jedi survived it).
*She could somehow escape Order 66 and go into hiding, but that's been done too many times before so I don't want to see it.

I'm interested in seeing how they deal with it, though. They definitely have options.

jedibear
01-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Hmm, it's scenario-making time.

She could survive at least to ROTS.

*She could get killed by Rex in Order 66 depending on how far the show goes, which would be interesting and show more of the impact of that action...

Even though I don't see them doing this, it's the most logical (if she's still around Rex by the time of ROTS). One thing about last weeks's episode that had a bit of a jolt for me was watching the interaction between Aayla and Bly...knowing that he shoots her in the back during Order 66...makes it a little sad...

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 07:29 PM
So, apparently, they are fighting in space but it's blue, they are about to enter the atmosphere but they can breathe and move normally in this environment, especially the semi-dressed female characters? Then we get into this far too Trek-esque hyperspace-into-the-sun-slingshot-around-it bit that felt way out of place for SW, and then we meet the annoying Sonic the Hedgehog race of whiners whose beliefs are trampled upon by the Jedi, not very Jedi-esque.

Aayla's accent almost killed the character for me. I don't think it fits her at all. I always "heard" her more with a standard American accent.Agreed on all counts. I heard her with that American accent because it's the one she uses in SW Battlefront II.

Theory on Ahsoka, she will be drummed out of the Jedi order for being absolutely horrible at everything Jedi, then steal a starship and fly herself and Jar Jar out of the galaxy just before OT continuity kicks in.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-24-2009, 12:05 AM
I really enjoyed tonight's episode. They handled the Lurmen well. I also really liked Lok Durd. I don't really have any complaints tonight. Dave Filoni said they'll be exploring the different viewpoints on the Jedi in the series, which is interesting.

The episode next week with the Talz looks nice too.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-24-2009, 11:24 PM
I saw the episode on its rerun this morning (pretty sad when you can't stay up until 9pm... :rolleyes: ), and I liked it. Neutrality is not as easy a concept in practice as in theory. Anakin sure went from "oww I can't move without help" to "I can jump and force push and lightsaber slash all I want" pretty fast. Am also looking forward to next week's (and maybe I can see it at its first time :p ).

Rocketboy
01-25-2009, 06:36 AM
Little to no improvement over last week, IMO.

The little money-lemurs were annoying, especially the elder one. He kept drilling the no involvement angle but when the others said "f*ck you" and got involved he didn't really seem to give much of a crap.

Next week looks better. Although I hope Obi-Wan's sarcastic attitude gets toned down quite a bit soon. They seem to have hims stuck like that in the series.

Ji'dai
01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Finally watched the Lair of Grievous episode that originally aired back in December. I too thought the voices sounded a little too familiar, especially Kit Fisto and Futurama's Hermes Conrad.
Listening to Phil Lamarr voice Kit, it was like Hermes Conrad was now a Jedi. :p I'll give him points for lightening the voice and changing the inflection to be different, but it was still obviously his Hermes voice. I thought Nahdar sounded a lot like Kif Kroker too, but his voice is done by Maurice LaMarche. Another Futurama alum, Tom Kenny (Yancy Fry), supplied the voice for Kit's former padawan as well as for Nute Gunray.

The on-screen labels and junk cable networks are adding to the show to identify the channel or advertise upcoming shows are really getting on my nerves. I swear the friggin' 'PG' rating box is 4" square on my TV. I have the last four or five episodes recorded on my DVR but I'm going to have to buy them on DVD just to be free of the on screen labels. I like the series, so that's about my only complaint.

Next week's ep looks pretty cool with the Hoth-like planet.

JediTricks
01-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Little to no improvement over last week, IMO.

The little money-lemurs were annoying, especially the elder one. He kept drilling the no involvement angle but when the others said "f*ck you" and got involved he didn't really seem to give much of a crap.

Next week looks better. Although I hope Obi-Wan's sarcastic attitude gets toned down quite a bit soon. They seem to have hims stuck like that in the series.
I'm with RB on this, the episode didn't feel like an improvement. I kinda enjoyed the stealth attack on the base, but it was abstract, like watching a video game cut scene. The rest did nothing for me whatsoever, and the end point was murky as hell, where do the Lurmans stand, and why don't they stand for what they stand for better? Why don't they have a fuller belief system there? This is TV writing, they wanted to delve into an issue, but had no understanding of the "why" so they just wrote cliches.

2-1B
01-30-2009, 08:39 PM
The Muftaks were pretty cool this week.

jedibear
01-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Well, whille like any other weekly show that may have it's up's and down's, I think this series has definitely been on a good roll lately...

The last two weeks were pretty good(although the lemur people were almost too cute) and this week's..."Trepass" on the ice world with the Talz was easily one of the best yet. Great designs...especially the Clone Trooper extreme weather gear (I'll take the action or Sideshow figure now please :)) and the Talz with their mounts...those creatures were really cool.
This one was better written and directed than some of the other efforts...fa progressive story that was ast moving, rich in detail, and nice to have an episode where it's just Kenobi & Skywalker on a mission together (without bickering and offering each other cutting remarks the whole time) and having Threepio actually translate and work instead of just hanging out was a great touch.

And...it was Ashoka free!

Next week looks promising with a focus on Rex and the return of Assaj. Here's hoping they can keep this good run going...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-30-2009, 11:48 PM
This episode felt the most like Star Wars to me, it seems. It really bridged the PT and OT quite well in terms of design and everything. The Hoth-like planet, C-3PO with R2-D2 (which I'd really like to see a lot more of), and the outfits come to mind. And the animation was absolutely beautiful.

According to StarWars.com, next week's episode actually takes place before the Clone Wars movie. I saw they'd be on Christophsis in the preview, so it's evidently the start of that battle. That's kind of odd. I bet it's an earlier episode, so the animation won't be quite as good (so Chux will come in, watch that episode but not tonight's, and then reiterate how much the show sucks :p ).

plasticfetish
01-31-2009, 12:02 AM
so Chux will come in, watch that episode but not tonight's, and then reiterate how much the show sucksI wouldn't bother with him. He's exactly why this site is dying... must ignore.

(Oh, snap! :cheeky:)

bigbarada
01-31-2009, 01:26 AM
I forgot there was a new episode on tonight, but I caught the 11:00 PM replay. Really good episode and I just realized it was Asohka-free. I loved the Hoth-like setting and the Talz were really well done. I really want a toy of the Talz King riding that beast.:thumbsup:

The only thing that bothered me was that general character was a little too 2-dimensional. He was that seething warmonger type that doesn't really exist in the real world (even if they do, they rarely attain positions of any real power); but this is a cartoon, so I was able to overlook that for the most part.

Ji'dai
01-31-2009, 02:36 AM
I enjoyed "Trespass" as well. There were too many overt, gratuitous references to ESB, but I could tolerate them. I take it that this is the "official" introduction of the Talz species and the 2003 Clone Wars series with the Talz Jedi is no longer canon?

I guess it doesn't really matter to me in the end. I still don't consider anything prequel related to be canon so I just sit back and try to enjoy the crap they crank out. I think I have a greater tolerance for prequel cartoons, books, and comics than the live-action PT movies themselves. I watched the PT recently for the first time in years and still couldn't sit through much of that mess.

Having grown up with cartoons where the consequences of violence aren't always realistically depicted, I'm still a little stunned that people actually die on this show. I like the added realism, but it just gives me pause when I actually see characters die.

I will have much higher expectations for a series featuring OT characters though. I'd personally like to see something like the Brian Daley books about Han & Chewie's smuggling days before ANH. Even Lando could make an appearance. I'd also like to see an updated DROIDS cartoon but I doubt they would be as popular.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-31-2009, 08:19 AM
No lightsabers were even used! I thought this was the best, visually, so far. Although, am a bit confused how Obi-Wan figured out the Talz's name (can you draw that on a piece of wood? :rolleyes: ). Serious, well-written; good job.

jedibear
01-31-2009, 10:54 AM
I take it that this is the "official" introduction of the Talz species and the 2003 Clone Wars series with the Talz Jedi is no longer canon?

Well, when the Talz Jedi appears on the CW cartoon, the timing is much closer to ROTS than this so...maybe one turns out to be "force-sensitive" and ends up becoming a Jedi. A bit of a stretch there...but it kinda works.

Looking at the talz again...it won't be much of a stretch for Hasbro to retool that Muftak mold into one of the warriors here...and I really hope we see the cool winter upgrade outfit Rex was sporting as a figure sometime soon...very cool bridging of OT and CW design...

jonthejedi
01-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Rex & his boys almost looked like an army of McQuarrie concept snowtroopers. I hope Hasbro already has the figure slated for 2010.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Rex & his boys almost looked like an army of McQuarrie concept snowtroopers. I hope Hasbro already has the figure slated for 2010.
They were based off of the design, as per starwars.com.

The only thing that bothered me was that general character was a little too 2-dimensional. He was that seething warmonger type that doesn't really exist in the real world (even if they do, they rarely attain positions of any real power); but this is a cartoon, so I was able to overlook that for the most part.
Again, look at starwars.com. The voice actor mentions several real-world examples of people like the character. I mean, come on . . . you can't think of any examples of warmongering people, or people trying to subjugate or kill "lesser" peoples, or of specific people being voices for such causes? Are you joking?

I enjoyed "Trespass" as well. There were too many overt, gratuitous references to ESB, but I could tolerate them. I take it that this is the "official" introduction of the Talz species and the 2003 Clone Wars series with the Talz Jedi is no longer canon?
Man, I really AM the only person who looks at starwars.com. :p Foul Moudama's backstory was left ambiguous since it already messed up the canon. Talz came from Alzoc III, and Obi-Wan said here that they weren't capable of space travel, so I'll assume that these Talz came to Orto Plutonia from Alzoc III long ago, or something. Or I just won't worry about it. :D

bigbarada
01-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Again, look at starwars.com. The voice actor mentions several real-world examples of people like the character. I mean, come on . . . you can't think of any examples of warmongering people, or people trying to subjugate or kill "lesser" peoples, or of specific people being voices for such causes? Are you joking?

Well if you really study history, you'll find very few raving lunatics in charge of Armies. Even the most evil leaders that we can think of today, the Nazis, weren't these wide-eyed, screaming maniacs. They were calm, calculating, cold-blooded killers. Heinrich Himmler looked like an accountant and would get sick at the sight of blood. Along with being a very caring and loving father to his daughter, he also oversaw the extermination of hundreds of thousands, possibly millions, of Jews, Poles, POWs, mentally handicapped, homosexuals, communists, etc.

I spent over 10 years serving in the Army and I never once met a single "warmonger" Commander or General. Usually, the ones who are screaming "I command you to avenge me!" are very rarely the ones in positions of real power.

Again, he was a caricature and a tired stereotype of a military leader.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Again, he was a caricature and a tired stereotype of a military leader.Probably why he didn't even survive to the end of the episode. I think that CW will probably keep the villain-as-bad-guy aspect for the kids' perspective, rather than an anti-hero or gray-area one to confuse them.

JediTricks
02-01-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm with BB, this one had too much of a "powermad jerk bent on destroying them darn indigenous species!" stereotype in the Chairman character, he was telegraphed this way from the beginning. They didn't have enough time or talent to give the proper level of nuance to this character, so his death at the end didn't resonate properly. All in all though, the episode was fair, had an interesting message, good battle, and I so want those snowbound Freeco Bikes as toys.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-01-2009, 03:53 PM
\ They didn't have enough time or talent to give the proper level of nuance to this character, so his death at the end didn't resonate properly.I think the point was that the character had no nuance, and the only thing we should feel when he died is that he got what he deserved. With him out of the way, they were able to make peace.

El Chuxter
02-02-2009, 03:29 PM
I bet it's an earlier episode, so the animation won't be quite as good (so Chux will come in, watch that episode but not tonight's, and then reiterate how much the show sucks :p ).

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout? Even if I don't like it, this show is the BEST!!!! EVER!!!!!!

Ji'dai
02-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Man, I really AM the only person who looks at starwars.com. :p Foul Moudama's backstory was left ambiguous since it already messed up the canon. Talz came from Alzoc III, and Obi-Wan said here that they weren't capable of space travel, so I'll assume that these Talz came to Orto Plutonia from Alzoc III long ago, or something. Or I just won't worry about it. :D Yeah, I never go over there. Orto Plutonia? It really says that?

I was reading over on theraider.net that in the episode "The Gungan General" one of the senators is carrying a staff with the headpiece of Ra on the top, a reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark. I'll have to check out that ep again when I have some time.

And the news on the front page says that TNT is going to rebroadcast the series from the beginning starting on Feb. 14. I have that channel in HD so I'll be able to watch all those episodes I missed last Fall.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I never go over there. Orto Plutonia? It really says that?

I was reading over on theraider.net that in the episode "The Gungan General" one of the senators is carrying a staff with the headpiece of Ra on the top, a reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark. I'll have to check out that ep again when I have some time.

And the news on the front page says that TNT is going to rebroadcast the series from the beginning starting on Feb. 14. I have that channel in HD so I'll be able to watch all those episodes I missed last Fall.
You also would have known about Kharrus's staff of Ra weeks ago had you visited the main site. ;)

El Chuxter
02-02-2009, 07:24 PM
The main site is AWESOME!! You should visit it every day!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Chux's new shtick is FUNNY!!!! And not at all ALREADY PLAYED OUT AND EXTREMELY ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!

2-1B
02-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Chux, you're a Senator. Behave yourself.

And please remember to always Take Care, Sir.

El Chuxter
02-02-2009, 07:40 PM
You're just mad because you're a HATER!!!!!!!

2-1B
02-02-2009, 07:41 PM
And I'm just mad because you're not taking care, Sir.

jedibear
02-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Just watched "Trespass" again tonight.

Gotta say...this is hands-down, the best episode of the series so far for me.
Yeah, the villain is a little overzealous, but there are so many other great things going on here that it just fires on all cylinders.

I love the art...so much McQuarrie/Johnston influences going on. The ice world is great too...I've always been a fan of Hoth and while it would be too wierd to visit that planet in this series, it's great to see the artists tackle an icy, snowswept landscape with such success. The creature designs were great as was utilizing a reace of being we've only had a glimpse of before (back in that infamous bar way back when) and have them not speak in "basic" but in their own unique way...something we don't see as often as I'd like.

And...I'm not at all bothered by the little continuity stumble with the first CW series having the Talz Jedi...it's a big galaxy and there could be a lot of different explanations for that...I just enjoy the "introduction" to the Talz we're given here.

I mentioned it briefly on my initial post for this episode, but if there is one thing I REALLY like about this one is seeing Kenobi & Skywalker actually working together...the vibe was right on between the two of them here...very well done...something I want to see more of in future episodes...no catty banter (well, Kenobi did tell Anakin to shut up but compared to other episodes, this was an exception instead of the norm).

I just want to see more of what made the two of them such good partners after the master/apprentice relationship ended...working together with an attitude of friendship and mutual respect instead of just trading snide quips and one-upping each other like so much of this show has done up to now...it makes the tragedy of EpIII have all the more impact...

Let's see what this week has in store...

Rocketboy
02-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Besides the over-the-top bad guy the only thing I really didn't like was the fuzz-type stuff on the hoods. If it was supposed to be fur (like Han's in Empire), the animators failed miserably. It looked like a nylon stuffed with moving cotton. Other than that it was a really good episode.

JediTricks
02-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I think the point was that the character had no nuance, and the only thing we should feel when he died is that he got what he deserved. With him out of the way, they were able to make peace.You could be right, and that'd be too bad because with only a little more time and effort, it could have said a LOT more.

Chux's new shtick is FUNNY!!!! And not at all ALREADY PLAYED OUT AND EXTREMELY ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: Someone just got schooled by a 19-year-old. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Watching it again on Wednesday, I do think that Chairman Cho, while not necessarily derivative of the real world, was not as ridiculous as people here are making him out to be. It wasn't like he was just hating on the Talz for no reason - he thought that the planet was his, and that the Talz were uncivilized and therefore didn't deserve to be there. It was also a reaction to the clone base getting destroyed by the Talz; it kind of built up to him hating the Talz as much as he did.

Besides the over-the-top bad guy the only thing I really didn't like was the fuzz-type stuff on the hoods. If it was supposed to be fur (like Han's in Empire), the animators failed miserably. It looked like a nylon stuffed with moving cotton. Other than that it was a really good episode.
The hood stuff was distracting the first time but if it were more realistic then I think it would have gone too far away from what they're going for. It's an odd line they're occasionally drawing with the animation, how it can look realistic but still stylized. Overall it's working much better than when the series started. But they don't seem to want hair to look all that real, so that carried over into the hoods (and the Talz as well).

:thumbsup: Someone just got schooled by a 19-year-old. ;)
I do, however, give him props for ending that shortly thereafter and also for being a loyal viewer of VINCE: AN OFFER YOU CAN'T REFUSE, so it's all good now. :D As an aside to that, I do believe that such characterizations have a time and a place, but SSG is not really good for either. When I come here, I would rather hear from the actual people behind the posts; we have other sites to mess around on. That's just me, though.

JediTricks
02-06-2009, 07:27 PM
But he thought that desolate, nothing of a planet was his simply because his turd of a moon was a protectorate, it was just a "that's mine!" attitude you'd get from a kid or a TV antagonist. I didn't buy that he wanted to kill the Talz because of the death of the Clones, he didn't seem to give 2 squirts about them or the Republic in that respect, IMO.

Did you just make a Vynsane ref?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2009, 07:37 PM
A vyn what? I'm not some kind of immature homo, mind you. ;)

You could connect the "that's mine" ideology to manifest destiny too, so there's your historical precedence. :D As for the clone base, it seemed to p*ss him off since he thought it was the Separatists and that riled him up against them. So he hated the Talz for a number of reasons.

JediTricks
02-06-2009, 07:59 PM
A vyn what? I'm not some kind of immature homo, mind you. ;)
A vynsane referee.

Rocketboy
02-06-2009, 08:51 PM
A prequel to the movie? Very cool.
No Ahsoka again? Even cooler.

This was probably the best looking episode yet, especially in terms of character animation; a real step up (even from last week).
The starwars.com episode guide says that in terms of production order, this was the first episode from season 2.
Again, I felt the villain of the week was pretty easy to pick out, but it didn't really bother me. Besides, the ones named Slick are usually trouble.

From the preview, next week's episodes look pretty good also.

Maerj2000
02-06-2009, 10:24 PM
I thought that it was really cool that we got to see a different side to the clones as well. They aren't all just order-following drones in this one. They *do* think for themselves and Slick feels that the Clones are nothing but slaves, grown and thrown into the line of fire to protect the Jedi. And he's right, and he wants more than that.

I've really been enjoying this series. Its really been interesting and has a good variety of stories that show different sides to SW. The production values really blow away any other animated show on tv. For something that is supposedly geared toward kids, its pretty entertaining for adults as well.

I think the weakest installments were probably the movie, which was still watchable if one can not dwell on certain details. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Holy hot damn, what an episode! I originally thought it was going to be a very early episode due to its being before the movie. That was really superbly well done. Now we know it was Ventress on the Trident (the squid-like ship) in the opening of the movie - I loved that touch. The theme of the clone turning against his brothers obviously relates well to ROTS. Plus the really well done action, especially between Rex, Cody, and Slick (and I loved the AOTC music in that part). If this is what the upcoming seasons will be like, then this will be really, really great as time goes on.

And so what's up with next week's double-episode thing? TVGuide.com only lists one new episode for next week, and lists I've read had one episode slated for each week this month. Anyway, the Naboo stuff looks great - I noticed Typho and some Naboo soldiers on the preview. That bad guy's design looks a little too outlandish, but we'll see.

Maradona
02-07-2009, 12:41 AM
The last two episodes have been my favorites so far.

pbarnard
02-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Pretty decent episode. Ties in nicely with other EU unlike well almost all the other. Guess it was just good timing I've been reading all the Republic Commando novels which dealt with many of the reasons Slick went bad.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I, too, liked this one. It was a pretty good transition to the film.

I was waiting for the "Slick's Mom" joke, though. Guess clones have no senses of humor. :rolleyes:

Ji'dai
02-08-2009, 11:29 AM
And so what's up with next week's double-episode thing? TVGuide.com only lists one new episode for next week, and lists I've read had one episode slated for each week this month. My satellite guide only showed one episode for next week too, but it did change sometime over the weekend. Now both episodes are on the schedule.

Plus TNT starts rebroadcasting the series late Saturday night after basketball. I've got those scheduled to record.

bigbarada
02-08-2009, 09:05 PM
After watching these last two episodes with no Ahsoka, it makes me wonder why they felt it was so necessary to add in her character? It really just highlights what an irreverent and annoying distraction from the main characters she is.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-08-2009, 09:56 PM
After watching these last two episodes with no Ahsoka, it makes me wonder why they felt it was so necessary to add in her character? It really just highlights what an irreverent and annoying distraction from the main characters she is.
Still, having a Padawan allows Anakin to grow up a little more and be more of a brother with Obi-Wan than a student. But, they did come off as equals in The Hidden Enemy, which was of course before Ahsoka. But there's also the little-girl-appeal factor. I don't think she's terrible, and she's been pretty cool a few times. She's grown on me a lot since the movie. But I do really enjoy the episodes with Anakin and Obi-Wan working together.

I realized a few days ago that she's supposed to be the same age that Padmé was in TPM, even though she seems much younger than that.

Rocketboy
02-08-2009, 10:57 PM
I realized a few days ago that she's supposed to be the same age that Padmé was in TPM, even though she seems much younger than that.I realized the same thing just this morning.
It just proves that Ahsoka sucks that much more. She's supposed to be a disciplined (at least somewhat, seeing as she was raised in the temple under the tutelage of the Jedi). Everything the little b*tch does is irritating.

bigbarada
02-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Still, having a Padawan allows Anakin to grow up a little more and be more of a brother with Obi-Wan than a student. But, they did come off as equals in The Hidden Enemy, which was of course before Ahsoka. But there's also the little-girl-appeal factor. I don't think she's terrible, and she's been pretty cool a few times. She's grown on me a lot since the movie. But I do really enjoy the episodes with Anakin and Obi-Wan working together.

I realized a few days ago that she's supposed to be the same age that Padmé was in TPM, even though she seems much younger than that.

Well, she didn't bother me until I saw what the show could be like without her. Now I really dread the idea of her character coming back.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-08-2009, 11:18 PM
I like her.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-09-2009, 02:09 PM
I just read that the finale will air on March 20 and that season 2 has definitely been picked up by Cartoon Network (as if there was any doubt). Sweet!

bigbarada
02-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I like her.

But do you like like her?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Here (http://starwars.com/video/view/000764.html) is the trailer for the Ryloth trilogy, airing February 27 to March 13. Mace is gonna kick some serious *** here, finally! This looks killer!

So, despite my saying earlier that March 20 would be the finale, it appears as though March 13 will be the last episode until the fall. They probably just changed this when they doubled-up on this week's shows.

Ando
02-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the trailer link, JJL. That was amazing! I can't wait to get season 1 on DVD and watch it all the way through without commercials.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-09-2009, 06:47 PM
But do you like like her?

Depends on what the age of consent is on her planet.

jedibear
02-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Well, from the looks of that preview, the show is ending it's season with quite the bang!

Lots of cool hardware scenes. some great action and attitude with Mace, some evil antics by old toothhead Wat Tambor, a Tw'ilek army and more! Looks fantastic!

Here's the link again...check it out!
http://www.starwars.com/video/view/000764.html

bigbarada
02-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Looks like it might be a pretty cool trailer if I could get it to play more than one second of video for every five seconds of download time. :mad:

Rocketboy
02-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Depends on what the age of consent is on her planet.Doesn't matter what planet she's from. She's 14 and that's sick.

pbarnard
02-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Doesn't matter what planet she's from. She's 14 and that's sick.

Species matters. All species don't have the same life span as humans :p. A 14 year old Ocampan in Star Trek is going to die, like soon. 14 in the Mando society is adult, and that isn't species specific. Course, a 14 year old Wookie is still considered a baby! Age is relative when dealing with species.

Rocketboy
02-10-2009, 11:11 AM
My friend here would like to have a word with you.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-10-2009, 06:34 PM
About as sick as calling a 14 year old a b*tch and all the other hatred directed at her. Imagine if this was your 14 year old sister, daughter or niece.

2-1B
02-10-2009, 06:47 PM
or padawan.

El Chuxter
02-10-2009, 06:58 PM
But she's a plot device, not a real girl with real relatives.

Rocketboy
02-10-2009, 06:59 PM
About as sick as calling a 14 year old a b*tch and all the other hatred directed at her.I do that because the character is terrible, pointless, annoying and shoehorned into the story.

Imagine if this was your 14 year old sister, daughter or niece.Not possible because its a digitally created fictional child.

Unless my uncle got busy with his computer...but that's just gross.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
But she's a plot device, not a real girl with real relativesWhich is also why there is nothing sick about liking her.

JetsAndHeels
02-10-2009, 09:35 PM
I can't wait to get season 1 on DVD and watch it all the way through without commercials.

It may have been mentioned earlier, but is there a tentative date set for the release of season 1 on dvd yet?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-10-2009, 11:02 PM
It may have been mentioned earlier, but is there a tentative date set for the release of season 1 on dvd yet?
No, nothing has been announced yet. I figure it will be shortly before the start of season 2, but that's just a guess.

Rocketboy
02-11-2009, 12:39 AM
About season 1 on DVD from starwars.com:
Meanwhile, for fans eager to own the entire first season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Lucasfilm is in the midst of producing a multi-disc boxed set that is expected to debut later in 2009. Full details of the first-season DVD boxed set, which is also planned to mark the first Blu-Ray appearance of the series, will be announced later this year. The collection will include substantial bonus material that is currently in production at Lucasfilm, including explorations of the behind-the-scenes creation of the hit series.

Which is also why there is nothing sick about liking her.Liking? OK.
Lusting? Not OK.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-11-2009, 01:06 AM
About season 1 on DVD from starwars.com:

Liking? OK.
Lusting? Not OK.

That comment was just a joke response to a joke response. I was fed up with all the negative Ahsoka comments so I said I liked her. Then bigbarada asked if I "like her like her." My response to that was obviously not serious as I was referring to ages of consent on alien planets in a fictional cartoon universe. Even if I wasn't joking, pbarnard's comment makes sense. Besides, the point is moot. She has made a commitment to the Jedi Order, a commitment not easily broken.

Perhaps you are taking things too seriously. Sit back, enjoy the show, and don't get overcome with Jar Jar (or in this case, Ahsoka) Derangement Syndrome.

Rocketboy
02-11-2009, 01:19 AM
None of that came across as joking (it came across as really creepy), but if you say it was a joke, then so be it...

JetsAndHeels
02-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the info Rocketboy.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Oooooooookay... so then how did people feel to have an epsiode where not only did it have Ahsoka AND Jar-Jar, but them interacting together? And a new Gungan (this time a female)?

I liked it, even if the gas clouds made for overly-dramatic choking (how did one clone die of exposure, but the others just got veins over their faces?). Will there be a Jar-Jar action figure with attachable R2 dome? :rolleyes: The Iago moons part was pretty good (I am pretty sure I noticed a potato in the debris field). I thought that the boy-leader looked like a Nintendo character (Zelda's Link?) I'd seen before.

Next week's "special episode" sure seems a lot like the first one to me.

SmokedPorter
02-14-2009, 10:49 AM
I really enjoyed last night's episodes. I'm looking forward to the season 1 DVD.

Maerj2000
02-14-2009, 11:35 AM
I thought it was okay. I saw a preview online of a 3 part story with Mace Windu and lots of cool scenes and I thought that was what they were going to show last night, so I was a little disappointed. That Mace episode is gonna be really incredible.

The virus thing was a little different for Star Wars. My favorite part was seeing the 'Angel' character toward the end on the Iago moon. The angel conversation in TPM was always sort of odd to me and always made me a bit curious as to where they ewre going with that. I wondered if they were intending on doing something like the angel episode of the original Battlestar Galactica. It was a cool character anyway and I'd love to see a light up action figure of her.

pbarnard
02-14-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm thinking the last 3 episodes were all ripped off from Republic Commando plot line novels.

I'm trying to think but isn't that kid mentioned someplace else, like a Han Solo novel?

dr_evazan22
02-14-2009, 01:27 PM
And a new Gungan (this time a female)?

I liked her.

Especially when she got all fiesty and took down the scientist.

But I REALLY LIKED the little droid that had the bomb. I thought he was cute, with his chubby little belly. Looked sorta like a baby. Was he the same desgin as one of Dooku's droids? Or had we just seen him before?

The kid from Iago moon reminded me of a kid character from one of those old time animated Christmas movies, where the characters look like they're made of felt.
I felt the idea of the Ghost of Whoever, that prevented beings from leaving the planet was a little contrived, especially when the laser system was so recently installed by the Sep's. No one could figure out it was lasers and destroy it? [voice of Gob, Arrested Development]C'mon!

Would like to see more ep's not have Obi and Ani in them.

Oh yeah, wouldn't mind a bomb squad trooper fig.

2-1B
02-14-2009, 02:41 PM
That evil doctor guy was horrible.

Battle Droid
02-14-2009, 03:09 PM
But I REALLY LIKED the little droid that had the bomb. I thought he was cute, with his chubby little belly. Looked sorta like a baby. Was he the same desgin as one of Dooku's droids? Or had we just seen him before.

He's the same kind General Whorm Loathsom had in the movie.

bigbarada
02-14-2009, 03:33 PM
I thought the episode overall was pretty good. They covered a lot of ground and it was nice to see more OT aliens on Iago.

The virus storyline was pretty good but I think they could have taken it a few steps further. Maybe actually have the virus wipe out a few planets before it is stopped.

I thought the scientist had a pretty decent motivation, but that could have been developed further as well. The only thing I really didn't like about the scientist was his design. He looked more like some low budget alien cobbled together for an episode of Star Trek, than a Star Wars alien.

Overall, my favorite episode so far and I'd like to get a figure of Padme in that environmental suit. I thought that was pretty cool.:)

Rocketboy
02-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Agreed on the scientist. He sucked.
Overall, it was pretty good couple of episodes, but the last 5-10 minutes seemed crammed together. With only those few minutes left, Anakin and Obi-Wan solve (and destroy) the major ghost mystery and get back to Naboo and save everyone.

JediTricks
02-14-2009, 10:22 PM
I don't really want to say too much about these 2 eps, as I have very little positive to say about the whole thing. But I would like to point out that Dr. Vindi was voiced by Michael York, who is Rick McCallum's step-dad.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Dr. Vindi's voice and "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah"s were annoying, but I liked the rest of the episodes. It did also annoy me that they had a new Queen as opposed to just using Jamilia or Apailana (I wouldn't mind a retcon saying it was Neeyutnee Jamilia or something, actually) and the fact that Typho was serving on Naboo instead of at Padmé's side. But Dave Filoni said they were going to use Captain Panaka but instead went with Typho to use him in future episodes, so I guess it's okay.

I really liked that they were able to make a bunch of new characters this time, so it felt much bigger. I loved the TPM influence and locations, much like how I liked the ESB influence on Trespass.

So are there just three more episodes or what? I thought the Ryloth trilogy was supposed to end the season, but that would leave us with 21 episodes instead of 22.

jedibear
02-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Well....these last two episodes were prime examples of what's good and what's not so good about this show...

The art and animation was beautiful...it just keeps getting richer and more detailed. The staging is dynamic and well-done, illustrated by the ships landing in the Naboo hanger and the bunker assault scenes among others.

Some of the story concepts were interesting and potentially intense, A biological weapon threat to the lush fertile world of Naboo? A meeting between Anakin's secret wife and his young female Padawan? Visiting the site of many a tale heard by Anakin in his youth? Seeing a world that the Separatists abandoned with a society trapped on that ravaged world?

Sounds interesting at first glance, but unfortunately, the way most of this plays out in the episode is less intense and interesting...the possible conflict and, pardon the pun, force from the story is muted at every turn by the show's seeming need to not frighten or tramatize it's core-intended audience....young children.

One example: the Bio Weapon idea was actually used in one of the "Republic" comics towards the beginning of it's run to much more frightening effect on one of the moons of Naboo...and no wacky german-accented, over-the-top scientist was anywhere to be found providing comic relief.

That's one thing about this show that does irk me...I understand that it's primary audience is kids, but in dealing with war and scary stuff like bio-weapons, all too often the show has to walk a very thin line between entertaining the kids and still conveying the seriousness of those elements in the story. I think these two episodes missed the mark in that regard or at the very least wandered a little further onto the "let's not scare the kids" side of the line by piling on the wacky scientist, the adorable bunny droid with the missing bomb, Jar Jar doing his usual shtick (and yes, I shudder to admit it, but I do wish if they were going to keep bringing him back that they would at least hire Amhed Best to do the voice...this new guy sounds like a bad imitator), the new female Jar Jar and of course, the usual contingent of dim-witted Battle Droids...a lot of "cute" to counter the scary. At least Ashoka wasn't her usually bratty self...she showed some good sense with a hint of vulnerability in her scenes that was a refreshing break from her usual smart-mouth.

That's not to say the show is a total bust...it's always obvious from the constant references to other characters and other areas of Star Wars (movies, books, comics, etc) that real fans that enjoy what they're doing are putting this show together.

We've had a handful of episodes this year that have managed to be entertaining without coddling too much to the kids...last week's "Hidden Enemy" or the previous week's "Trepass" (my favorite of the season) or the season opener 'Ambush" to name a few...this series is at it's "Star Wars" best when it can manage that balance....I hope these last three "Ryloth"-themed episodes strike it as well...meanwhile, i'll keep getting pulled in by the stunning art and animation...and the hope for an interesting visit to that faraway galaxy.

Rocketboy
02-15-2009, 07:13 AM
So are there just three more episodes or what? I thought the Ryloth trilogy was supposed to end the season, but that would leave us with 21 episodes instead of 22.Last week's preview said there were either 6 episodes left or 6 weeks left (I forget) and since there were 2 on Friday, and considering next week's repeat there should either be 4 or 5 episodes remaining.

Ji'dai
02-15-2009, 09:41 AM
I enjoyed both episodes. I think the best thing was seeing so much of Ahsoka and Padme, my favorite characters.

The evil scientist was okay; he reminded me of some Nazi death camp doctor and the animated Batman Mr. Freeze, especially after he put that helmet on.

I'd like to have figures of Padme in both outfits she wore. I'd go for figure versions of biohazard suit Jar Jar, the scientist with removable helmet, and the Gungan shephard. Maybe a movie scene set with the Gungan and one of her flock.

I liked the ghost story element in the second episode though it would've been better had it been a holdover from something prior to the Clone Wars, maybe some legend dating from before the Old Republic era.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-17-2009, 02:03 PM
I just read that Michael York played Basil in the Austin Powers movies. What a weird connection!

Last week's preview said there were either 6 episodes left or 6 weeks left (I forget) and since there were 2 on Friday, and considering next week's repeat there should either be 4 or 5 episodes remaining.
It said six weeks - one had the two-parter, one has the Ambush repeat, so there are four weeks after that. But, as I said, I read earlier that the Ryloth trilogy would be the season finale, which would leave us one week (and episode) short. Eh, I guess we'll know within a few weeks, eh?

2-1B
02-17-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't really want to say too much about these 2 eps, as I have very little positive to say about the whole thing. But I would like to point out that Dr. Vindi was voiced by Michael York, who is Rick McCallum's step-dad.

Well in that case, these are my 2 favorite episodes so far, then! :grin:

I just read that Michael York played Basil in the Austin Powers movies. What a weird connection!

Glad you finally caught up with the rest of us after a decade+ ;)
j/k :D

Mad Slanted Powers
02-17-2009, 09:31 PM
I remember him from Logan's Run.

figrin bran
02-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Is anyone else growing as annoyed with Padme's voice as I am? That lisp she seems to have makes her more intolerable than any Gungan.

Rocketboy
02-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Nope. I think she sounds good.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Nope. I think she sounds good.
Same here.

I realized today that these episodes took place at least nine months after AOTC, since Jaybo Hood said it took him nine months to reprogram the battle droids, which I assume didn't show up until after the start of the war. However, since apparently the episodes aren't really in any kind of chronological order overall, I'm not too bugged about the continuity stuff.

Rocketboy
02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
I realized today that these episodes took place at least nine months after AOTC, since Jaybo Hood said it took him nine months to reprogram the battle droids, which I assume didn't show up until after the start of the war. However, since apparently the episodes aren't really in any kind of chronological order overall, I'm not too bugged about the continuity stuff.But did they say they were battledroids from the war?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-18-2009, 04:50 PM
But did they say they were battledroids from the war?
I just assumed they were, since they were talking about the Separatists leaving them, and the Separatists didn't have the army until Geonosis. Maybe Jaybo Hood was mistaken, or something, and they were just regular old Trade Federation droids from years before or something. I'm sure it will be explained later.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Glad you finally caught up with the rest of us after a decade+ ;)
j/k :DI'd have included a "yee-ahh baby! " :D after it to make it even MORE recent.

p.s. Only voice that's annoying to me is Jar-Jar Fakes. And whomever mentioned Obi-Wan's as that of a drunk flop has made me think that every time. :tired:

Battle Droid
02-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Same here.

I realized today that these episodes took place at least nine months after AOTC, since Jaybo Hood said it took him nine months to reprogram the battle droids, which I assume didn't show up until after the start of the war. However, since apparently the episodes aren't really in any kind of chronological order overall, I'm not too bugged about the continuity stuff.

Maybe the episode takes place later in the Clone Wars.

Maerj2000
02-19-2009, 08:05 PM
I'd have included a "yee-ahh baby! " :D after it to make it even MORE recent.

p.s. Only voice that's annoying to me is Jar-Jar Fakes. And whomever mentioned Obi-Wan's as that of a drunk flop has made me think that every time. :tired:

Gotta agree with you here. I think they did a great job on casting all of the voices but Jar Jar's. Its just off enough to make it JARing!

Mad Slanted Powers
02-19-2009, 08:14 PM
I didn't notice Jar Jar's voice much this time. It didn't sound right before, but I didn't really have a problem with it now. I guess I got used to it already.

Rocketboy
02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
I didn't notice Jar Jar's voice much this time. It didn't sound right before, but I didn't really have a problem with it now. I guess I got used to it already.And I was the opposite. I didn't notice new Jar Jar at first, but the second time I really noticed it.

Not sure if I (or anyone) mentioned it yet, but "BJ Hughes" (the new Jar Jar) isn't his real name. Dave Filoni pretty much confirmed that and said he couldn't talk about why it isn't Ahmed Best as Jar Jar. I'm guessing it's a contract thing.

El Chuxter
02-19-2009, 10:53 PM
mAYBE IT'S aHMED'S DADDY.

:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-19-2009, 11:03 PM
And I was the opposite. I didn't notice new Jar Jar at first, but the second time I really noticed it.

Not sure if I (or anyone) mentioned it yet, but "BJ Hughes" (the new Jar Jar) isn't his real name. Dave Filoni pretty much confirmed that and said he couldn't talk about why it isn't Ahmed Best as Jar Jar. I'm guessing it's a contract thing.
That's really odd. I'm going to go listen to the Force-cast where he apparently talked about that.

As for me, I didn't mind the non-Ahmed voice as much in the newest episodes, though I'd still prefer him to do it.

Rocketboy
02-20-2009, 09:12 AM
That's really odd. I'm going to go listen to the Force-cast where he apparently talked about that.

As for me, I didn't mind the non-Ahmed voice as much in the newest episodes, though I'd still prefer him to do it.I believe it was this episode (http://theforce.net/podcast/story/ForceCast_In_The_Cantina_with_Dave_Filoni_120494.a sp) where they talked to Dave Filoni (not 100% positive though).

Have you (or anyone) been listening to these Forcecast Clone Wars Episode Roundtables? I think they're pretty good. They often point out some stuff I hadn't noticed, but they also really over-analyze stuff quite a bit.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-20-2009, 03:35 PM
I had never heard a single Force Cast until the Dave Filoni one you linked to, and I listened to it last night. He talked briefly about the BJ Hughes thing, calling him "the character" they got to do Jar Jar, which seemed odd, and wouldn't talk about Ahmed or really much on the subject at all.

The interview is really quite interesting but I don't know if I could really get into the ones where it's just fans talking about the show. I mean, we do that here - not terribly in-depth, but still. I might look into more of them.

Rocketboy
02-20-2009, 05:55 PM
I had never heard a single Force Cast until the Dave Filoni one you linked to, and I listened to it last night. He talked briefly about the BJ Hughes thing, calling him "the character" they got to do Jar Jar, which seemed odd, and wouldn't talk about Ahmed or really much on the subject at all.

The interview is really quite interesting but I don't know if I could really get into the ones where it's just fans talking about the show. I mean, we do that here - not terribly in-depth, but still. I might look into more of them.The Forcecast ain't bad, definitely a good way to pass the time at work before we open. They're in good with Filoni. He's been on a few times along with many of the cast members (Star Wars movies and Clone Wars).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Hmm, interesting. If it's more than just a bunch of guys going "hey, that was cool," then I guess it could be worth it. Do they have guests on all the time or just every once in a while?

Rocketboy
02-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Hmm, interesting. If it's more than just a bunch of guys going "hey, that was cool," then I guess it could be worth it.It's no blind love. They're honest about what they think and they don't hesitate to mention what they didn't like. But sometimes they read way too much into the little things.

Do they have guests on all the time or just every once in a while?
They've had their dry spells in the past, but the past few months they've been doing rather well:
Catherine Taber (Padme) - Last week's (Feb 13) regular Forcecast
Dave Filoni (CW Supervising Director) - been on a few times
Kyle Newman (Fanboys director) - been on numerous times and joins them from time to time on the CW Roundtables
Matt Lanter (Anakin)
Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka)
Matt Wood (Grievous)
Tom Kane (Yoda)
Paul Dini
Kevin Rubio
David Prowse
Leeanna Walsman
Seth Green
Steve Sansweet, Pablo Hidalgo & Hasbro's Derryl DePriest
The writer, producers, and a few stars of Fanboys
Numerous Star Wars related artists
Mark Hamil and Billy Dee Williams have also been on in the past.

God, I sound like a commercial for them...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Jeez, hell, I hope they're paying you, at least. :D I just listened to one from last week with Catherine Taber and it was pretty cool.

Oh, and while on TheForce.net, I saw that Greg Proops (everyone's favorite character, Fode :rolleyes: ) will be voicing someone named Tal Merrick in an upcoming episode.

Battle Droid
02-21-2009, 08:33 AM
I wonder if he's the Neimoidian Pilot from Storm Over Ryloth?