PDA

View Full Version : First look at the new Clone Wars 'toon

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Maerj2000
01-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Top notch episode! I came here right away to see what everyone was saying. I was like, if people are complaining about this one, there's really no pleasing them. I know people like to complain online and all but this was pretty good, IMHO.

Animation wise it was also pretty outstanding. There was a lot of locations and background characters throught the episode. The look of it was pretty amazing, especially for a tv show.

Anyone notice the Coca Cola billboard in Aurebesh? I loved that!

What was Palpatine saying on the floating billboard? It almost sounded like he was saying something about the Jedi starting the Clone Wars? I couldn't hear it clearly, I'll have to watch it again.

dr_evazan22
01-23-2010, 10:52 AM
If Ahsoka gets killed, I'm putting my money on Cad Bane doing it, and Anakin killing him in turn, thus explaining why it isn't mentioned in his interactions with Dooku or Grievous in ROTS.

I think the only thing better than the idea of Cad Bane killing Ahsoka would be them showing Sidious as the person responsible for hiring Cad, considering that Palp's has done his best to sabotag all of Anakin's other relationships.

sonofsokol
01-23-2010, 12:22 PM
I really enjoyed this episode too. I liked the Yoda-esque qualities in the elderly Jedi Master. Also, seeing Ahsoka's darker side when interrogating/questioning the "bad guys" was interesting... very similar to her master. I liked the new characters and races. Fun stuff.

pbarnard
01-23-2010, 01:04 PM
That's the sort of episode they should be making. Having a padawan track down her stolen lightsaber etc. Kiddy friendly, lets us go around Coruscant.

I'm interested in how they take more from the EU and twist it with Death Watch and the Mandolorians, ner'vod.

Maerj2000
01-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Glad to see everyone liked this one!

You guys did spot the Coke Billboard, right?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-23-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm fairly sure the billboard said "Soda," but I definitely noticed the Coke-like logo. Fun stuff.

The Palpatine billboard can be heard more clearly in the episode commentary on StarWars.com. It involves Palpatine denying rumors that the Jedi started the Clone Wars to give themselves more power. Dave has some cool stuff to say about it, so it's worth a look.

figrin bran
01-23-2010, 10:17 PM
According to the episode guide, Brea Tonnika's photo showed up on Jocasta's computer.

I enjoyed the episode and it sure beats the garden variety "battles against battle droids on the planet of your choice" episodes. I do feel that Master Sinube should have been more alarmed with Ahsoka's "do whatever needs to be done" approach in questioning the thief.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-23-2010, 10:56 PM
I was also trying to understand Palpatine... I thought it was funny that Ahsoka was on his throat.

I thought that looked like a Tonnika sister.

I kept wondering if that slow moving Ithorian was going to have something to do with the ending, but he just bought a bowl of soup.

figrin bran
01-25-2010, 01:02 AM
So where is that "worst Star Wars names" thread? I'm going to put Cassie Cryer on that list. There's nothing SWish about that name at all!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-25-2010, 07:48 PM
So where is that "worst Star Wars names" thread? I'm going to put Cassie Cryer on that list. There's nothing SWish about that name at all!It will be when they change the spelling to Ca-Si Cr'yer! Then, give her a clone version, Ca-Si Cr'yeer.

2-1B
01-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Pretty rough, as in not a good episode? I thought it was pretty good.

Yes, as in not a good episode...but I must admit this one is growing on me. I LOVED the amount of Coruscant action and thought that was well done.
I wasn't big on it since it was focused on Ahsoka...don't get me wrong, I don't hate her like some people do (Rocketboy :D ) but I just prefer the episodes where she is used less. However, the more I think about it the more I like it as a one-off operating within the bigger picture of the series.

In other news, I'm damn excited for the Mandalorian episodes to start next week. :D

Me too, I think it's a fantastic idea to include them in the CW series and I look forward to this storyline. :)

You know what else I liked? The Deserter...I thought that was a cool episode. It still feels to me like these cartoon clones are too independent minded compared to the movies but it's from a different angle so I try to stay open minded.

JediTricks
01-28-2010, 04:41 AM
On my first viewing, I didn't really care for this episode. It felt a little over-worn, like I've seen way too many stories with this exact same idea driving it and same results. I think I'm going to re-watch it to be sure though, but sometimes it really annoys me how thin the "tortoise and the hare" gag is used in entertainment - all of a sudden the slow guy ends up ahead of a bullet train and just in the right place when he's needed. Drives me nuts.

But forget that crap, check out the killer press release news article I just posted on Friday's Mandalorian CW episode, with Jon Favreau as the head Mando no less!
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=57&p2_articleid=2651

Maradona
01-28-2010, 09:39 AM
I love that the caped Mandalorian has a lightsaber on his belt. Looks like Obi-Wan's.

Maerj2000
01-29-2010, 09:38 PM
To the Clone Wars team:

Don't kill off the Mandalorians right away! Keep it going! A lot of people thought that the Clone Wars was going to be Jedi vs Mandalorians anyway, so keep it up. Can never have too much of that. I like the ancient lightsaber too.

Cool stuff and another fun episode.

To Hasbro:

We need a Mandalorian battle pack based off of this episode. Also, the ship they flew in were really cool and I know kids would love to have them and maybe a few of us adults would like to have them as well. Please make!

And what about that funky ship that Obi Wan and Anakin flew off in at the end? I'd like a better look at that thing. It looked like one of the Amidala ships at first, but then it looked like it had a large fin on the bottom as if went off into space.

Maradona
01-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Tonight's episode was everything the Clone Wars could and should be.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Exactly. That was balls-to-the-walls awesome. I really loved every single thing about this episode - the animation, the story, the design, the new characters, the new background characters, the action, the sound design, just everything (LOVED the cubist design everywhere). I'm still processing everything . . . I'll probably watch it again tomorrow. Just loved it.

clone157
01-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Very cool episode, but I never expected Mandalore or it's people to look quite like how they were portrayed. If you have read Karen Traviss' books, I want to know your opinion on the matter. Plus I wanted to see more armor and variants on it, different colors, different accessories, etc. Other than that, great episode.

Maradona
01-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Plus I wanted to see more armor and variants on it, different colors, different accessories, etc.

If the last 5 years of Hasbro endless clone variations are any indication, we will see more than we can handle.

JediTricks
01-30-2010, 05:03 AM
Honestly, I don't see what you guys are on about. I felt that episode was totally lacking and generic. The Mandalorians were all the same armor, didn't do much of anything, didn't stand for much of anything, they weren't cool or unique. They were just generic bad guys, and Obi-Wan had to get significantly dumber and less creative to get bested by them, then get put into the galaxy's most cliched trap. No drama, the action wasn't very exciting, and the storyline felt far too well-trodden for this series. And not surprisingly, the semi-romantic backstory was played too hard for an undertone that didn't carry through, just like another episode from the writers on this one, "Senate Spy". I think this episode had a lot of promise in the conceptual stages, and just got lost along the way, but ultimately I don't think this episode holds up that well.

But hey, at least fanboys finally got their black lightsaber into the canon.

Maerj2000
01-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Sometimes you just have to accept things for what they are. This is pretty much a weekly animated series primarily aimed at kids. If we can watch it and get something out of it, great. If not, well fine again, just wait for the live action series.

For right now, this is a weekly dose of SW and for some of us that's enough. If I wanted to sit here and take each episode apart, I'm sure I could. But I accept it for what it is, a show to get kids into SW, and its doing a pretty good job of doing it. If there's anything more in an episode for us older fans, and there usually is, well that's icing on the cake.

That black lightsaber kicked aaaaa... butt! :)

2-1B
01-30-2010, 10:27 AM
I will wager JabbaJohn's left nut that I heard Greg Proops as the voice of that one dignitary guy...thus automatically making it GP's best performance in a SW production. ;)

As for the episode, I thought it was pretty good. I'm sure Rocketboy will love it, since Ahsoka was nowhere to be seen. :D

sonofsokol
01-30-2010, 11:37 AM
2-1B you were right. From the Episode Guide: Greg Proops as Tal Merrik

The action figure potential of this episode was awesome. The Duchess (2 costumes), her guards, the Mando Commander (with sweet black lightsaber), generic Mando. I hope this storyline continues for awhile so we can see many of these come to fruition.:thumbsup:
The Guards that accompanied the moon's Governor remind me a little of the phase one Dark Trooper in the upcoming EU wave of Legacy figs. Maybe its a bit of a stretch:rolleyes:

JetsAndHeels
01-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Loved the episode. LOVED IT.

I want CW Mandalorian figures. NOW.

El Chuxter
01-30-2010, 12:20 PM
It will come as no surprise to you that I haven't seen it and am in no real hurry to, but my thoughts on Mandos are summed up in the following analogy:

Mandaloreans are to Star Wars as Poochy is to Ichy & Scratchy.

jonthejedi
01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm wondering if Concordia was a nod to Concord Dawn???

DarkJedi5
01-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Honestly, I don't see what you guys are on about. I felt that episode was totally lacking and generic. The Mandalorians were all the same armor, didn't do much of anything, didn't stand for much of anything, they weren't cool or unique. They were just generic bad guys, and Obi-Wan had to get significantly dumber and less creative to get bested by them, then get put into the galaxy's most cliched trap. No drama, the action wasn't very exciting, and the storyline felt far too well-trodden for this series. And not surprisingly, the semi-romantic backstory was played too hard for an undertone that didn't carry through, just like another episode from the writers on this one, "Senate Spy". I think this episode had a lot of promise in the conceptual stages, and just got lost along the way, but ultimately I don't think this episode holds up that well.

But hey, at least fanboys finally got their black lightsaber into the canon.

I'm with JT here. I watched it and was pretty disappointed. This episode fell pretty flat. And I really wish it weren't so easy to capture Jedi. Invent a weapon that foils them, or better yet, get some ysalmari. Just expected a lot more out of this one.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-30-2010, 02:22 PM
The Mandalorians were all the same armor, didn't do much of anything, didn't stand for much of anything, they weren't cool or unique.
There's a Q&A on the episode guide at StarWars.com where Dave addresses this. They didn't give the Mandalorians too much gear since they still wanted Jango and Boba to be unique - they wanted it to seem like Jango got his armor and modified it fairly extensively (including the rangefinder as they didn't want everyone to look like Rex). But he said more modifications will be coming later in the series.

Another note from the Q&A - the ancient lightsaber was originally going to be a vibroblade, which is why it looks like one. When Dave tried to explain a vibroblade to George, George didn't like how there was a sword that could block a lightsaber but wasn't a lightsaber. George said that vibroblades could still exist, but a lightsaber would cut it in half every time. So, George himself came up with the idea of the lightsaber having been stolen from the Jedi Temple during the fall of the Old Republic. There you go.

I will wager JabbaJohn's left nut that I heard Greg Proops as the voice of that one dignitary guy...thus automatically making it GP's best performance in a SW production. ;)
Even though you're correct, I hope I still get to keep it!!!

It will come as no surprise to you that I haven't seen it and am in no real hurry to, but my thoughts on Mandos are summed up in the following analogy:

Mandaloreans are to Star Wars as Poochy is to Ichy & Scratchy.
Why, exactly? Mandalorians have been in SW ever since getting mentioned in ESB-related materials back in 1980. I don't care for how bloated and ridiculous their culture and backstory got through a lot of Karen Traviss' stuff, but I feel that the Clone Wars version is much more interesting.

At any rate, I think you can keep your analogy and replace Mandalorians with either Durge or Darth Krayt.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Chux, you are confusing Karen Traviss' Mando crush with the KotOR era Mandalorians. Normally I would agree with you, but after watching this episode, even your cynicism may be chipped away.

This was a great episode. I want to know why Obi-Wan knows this chick so well... :rolleyes:

pbarnard
01-30-2010, 08:11 PM
I hated it. Mandalorians, living on planet, were supposed to be farmer types; as a culture they'd be like Death Watch, which were really the traitors who helped the Empire lower their level of developed cities further. When your culture is nomadic and accepts anyone who accepts your collective values, it's very hard to have an aristocratic leader. The whole pacifict/ruled by a duchess thing was wrong. They are ruled by a Mandalore, who is the greatest warrior or at least dirtiest, that can take it from the previous or assume the mantle should they fall. I thought the last handful of "Mandalores" were Jaster Mareel, Jango,....Fenn Shysa, and Boba Fett--NO DUCHESS. Just like JT said, generic, and they just threw the Mandos in because they hadn't yet.

El Chuxter
01-30-2010, 11:38 PM
JJL, they actually were only mentioned, and it was said they were killed by the Jedi during the Clone Wars. It seems they've become the go-to villain now whenever anyone needs any bad guy, and Traviss's love affair with them scares me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-30-2010, 11:41 PM
I hated it. Mandalorians, living on planet, were supposed to be farmer types; as a culture they'd be like Death Watch, which were really the traitors who helped the Empire lower their level of developed cities further. When your culture is nomadic and accepts anyone who accepts your collective values, it's very hard to have an aristocratic leader. The whole pacifict/ruled by a duchess thing was wrong. They are ruled by a Mandalore, who is the greatest warrior or at least dirtiest, that can take it from the previous or assume the mantle should they fall. I thought the last handful of "Mandalores" were Jaster Mareel, Jango,....Fenn Shysa, and Boba Fett--NO DUCHESS. Just like JT said, generic, and they just threw the Mandos in because they hadn't yet.
Gee, I thought you'd love it. :rolleyes: :p

In the Q&A, I think Dave said Pre Vizsla wanted to be the Mandalore. They don't have one at this time. And it's just how the Mandalorian society is at this point in time, not necessarily indicative of them at any other time in their history. But, I know you love the other EU stuff, so whatever.

JJL, they actually were only mentioned, and it was said they were killed by the Jedi during the Clone Wars. It seems they've become the go-to villain now whenever anyone needs any bad guy, and Traviss's love affair with them scares me.
Yeah, I've read and heard a lot about their real-world history lately, so I'm aware of their origins (which I originally thought was the novelization, but it was a different book; I'm drawing a blank on the exact name right now, but it was similar to an Art Of book). I'm relatively sure it went along the lines of, "Boba Fett wore the armor of the Mandalorians, a group of supercommandos wiped out by the Jedi during the Clone Wars." But there were some in the comics (Tobbi Dala, Fenn Shysa) way back in the day, and there have been more throughout EU since then (Jodo Kast, Jaster Mareel), so it's not really too recent of a thing. I agree that Traviss went way overboard with them. I'm all for finding out more about background characters and interesting groups of people, but the EU did indeed go overboard on the Mandos, as it tends to cater to the worst fanboy whims (see: Talon, Darth). I think their ubiquity makes Boba and Jango less interesting and special. But I know that they're a group of people, so it makes sense for their society to be made up of more than just a bounty hunter and his clone son (and now the episode had someone disowning Jango as a Mandalorian, claiming he had stolen the armor, so I don't know how to read into that one).

At any rate, the fact that the original source mentioned them in relation to the Clone Wars means it's credible that they'd be around and featured in a TV show about the era. If that makes them the Poochy of SW, then so be it.

El Chuxter
01-31-2010, 12:03 AM
But Jodo Kast and Jaster Mareel weren't Mandaloreans, until everything got a massive retcon around 2002, just after AOTC. Jodo Kast was a half-rate bounty hunter who also got a suit of armor worn by a dead Mandalorean Supercommando, and used confusion with Boba Fett to get jobs, until Boba iced him because he wasn't especially good. Jaster Mareel was Boba Fett, in one of two contradictory origin stories (personally, I preferred the other), both rendered meaningless by AOTC.

(By the way, try sometime to find out for certain if Boba's armor is that of the late, now separate, Jaster Mareel, or his father's armor repainted. Your head will explode from the contradictions.)

For a while also, the Marvel comic was seen as non-canon due to some stuff that totally didn't mesh with anything, like tales of Luke's father, Tan Skywalker. Meaning Fenn Shysa and Tobbi Dala never existed until someone decided to re-canonize these comics. (Sadly, by this logic, neither did Jaxxon during this time period.)

figrin bran
01-31-2010, 02:28 AM
I didn't really care for this episode either.

A rock took out a Mando???? I thought that only happened to Stormtroopers.

I've come to the conclusion that I just do not like Obi-Wan in this series at all. I'll take an Ahsoka centric episode over an Obi-Wan centric one any day. :p

I'm not sure why J.A. Taylor can't figure out a voice for Obi-Wan that doesn't sound condescending ALL the time.

pbarnard
02-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Well it strikes me as odd, because they wanted a development of the culture/sociology of Mandos (what Travis did) before giving the greenlight to the TV show to go there. It seems odd to chuck it all out when they wanted to "wait for it" first. I'm not saying what Traviss did wasn't overboard, but this arc is just cementing that there are now 2 continuities. Movies/Published works, and Movies/this TV series.

JediTricks
02-02-2010, 05:21 AM
I've come to the conclusion that I just do not like Obi-Wan in this series at all. I'll take an Ahsoka centric episode over an Obi-Wan centric one any day. :p

I'm not sure why J.A. Taylor can't figure out a voice for Obi-Wan that doesn't sound condescending ALL the time.Yeah, I feel that way too. He's got a decent voice for it, but his attitude comes off smug and condescending all the time, very un-Jedi-like. Maybe it's the material they're writing for Obi-Wan, much of it feels totally out of character for the real mccoy, but James A Taylor does seem to put his inflections on the last syllable rather than Obi-Wan's second- or third-to-last syllable.

Here's my big problem with this latest episode. If you take away the Boba Fett armor designs and any variation of the word "mandalore", there's NOTHING here to suggest these guys are anybody of note. They're not even an attitude, really. But they were all hype, and when we finally get on the scene they do nothing of note whatsoever. Hell, even Poochy had an attitude, albeit a forced, cardboard one.

El Chuxter
02-02-2010, 09:37 AM
My Poochy comparison, BTW, came more for the fact I want (and expect) them to suddenly say, in different voices, "We have to go. Our home planet needs us." Then we get a handwritten note that they died on the way to their home planet.

Darth Metalmute
02-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Our names Death Watch and we rock the Jedi,
We're half J. Fett and a third Jaster Mareel.
We're a Kung-Fu hunter from Concordia city.
We are rapping warriors, you the fool we pity.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Here's my big problem with this latest episode. If you take away the Boba Fett armor designs and any variation of the word "mandalore", there's NOTHING here to suggest these guys are anybody of note. They're not even an attitude, really. But they were all hype, and when we finally get on the scene they do nothing of note whatsoever. Hell, even Poochy had an attitude, albeit a forced, cardboard one.
Well, there's the fact that they were exiled but are trying to take over the planet. I think that still would have been an interesting story even if they weren't Mandalorians.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Chux, the original script did have Obi-Wan going to a fireworks factory, then dunking on a spaceball rim.

JediTricks
02-03-2010, 02:35 AM
We'll see if they ever make it to that fireworks factory. I kinda doubt it.

jedibear
02-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Well, here's my two cents on this show about now...

So...we've had all this hype about the Mandos and seeing Mandolore and what do we get? More whip-creme-hairdo fops being ruled by another brittle, big-hat-hair-thing woman who presides over another over-decorated mall planet...

I'll give Fioni and company this much...they certainly defied expectations and managed to stick their fingers in the eyes of every fan who's bothered to follow the Mandolorians through various sources (games, books, comics) over the years....all just to give Obi-Wan a limp variation of Amidala and further erode the Jedi as both a concept and as characters.

Alright...let's ignore all of the EU stuff and just stick with what's come before (in the films)...we're supposed to believe that Jamgo Fett...the template chosen by Sidious and Tyranus for the clone army, sprung from these so-called cardboard pacifists? Who knows...maybe something happens in the course of this story arc to give that idea some teeth...but not yet.

And I'm with those here who DO NOT appreiciate the voice acting for Obi-Wan. The guy is AWFUL...constantly making Kenobi sound like some martini-swilling fop that is just annoyed at everything. No noble sounds eminating from this guy...it's like nails on chalkboard.

Actually, it's not just Obi-Wan...there've been many instances during the course of this series where the voice talent is more distracting than effective (Aylaa Secura springs quickly to mind, among others)...

We'll see...but so far, I'm not impressed...and I can see why Traviss walked.
There could have been many ways to work this so that there weren't so many glaring contradictions between what Fioni is doing and what the EU has offered about these characters....after all, why hype the Mandos to the audience that would know who they are if you're just going to throw out everything and replace it with such derivative nonsense?

Why alienate that audience?

Bel-Cam Jos
02-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Wow, and here I was going to say I felt this was one of the best episodes in the series. There wasn't much of a surprise as to the traitor, but I still liked how they built up to the end. I loved the "cold blooded murderer" scene (it prompted an "oohh" comment out loud from me).

I have decided that the cannon of Star Wars was shot many a year ago. Not even the lust for nostalgia will bring it back now... :(

jedibear
02-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Point taken about SW nostalgia, sir.... :)

That one scene was pretty good, especially with the little musical tease of Vader's theme topping it off...

As this show goes on, I'm finally figuring out that I am not the target audience for SW anymore. Not that it's a bad thing, but...

I'll give them credit...they have tried to hit a lot of different marks this season in regards to the audience. I guess my disappointment for this particular arc comes from enjoying the take that Traviss brought to the Mandos...but even without considering that, the show's take seems a little uninspired to me.

Another "strong woman leader"...another overdone mall-urban-planet...

We'll see how it plays out...

sonofsokol
02-06-2010, 03:15 PM
I really like this episode as well. My 4-year-old son really loved the assassin probe droids and all the little "baby" ones too. I liked how they threw Senator Orn Free Taa in as a red herring, but it was pretty obvious who the real traitor was.
I also liked the "cold blooded killer" scene, but if you kill someone in self defense of in defense of all the people aboard the ship would you really be considered a "cold blooded killer?":Ponder: I understand why Anakin killed the guy, but did he have to do the lightsaber through the chest? That move has been done several times in this series. I know Ventress did it to Argyus and I think Grievous did it to Gha Nackt (there's probably an "H" in there somewhere). It just seemed a little over the top to me.:yes:

Best exchange:
Anakin: "I'll take care of this, Obi-Wan. You, go find your girlfriend."
Obi-wan: "Right... Uh, no! Anakin, she's not my -- "
:love::yes::lipsrsealed:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Alright...let's ignore all of the EU stuff and just stick with what's come before (in the films)...we're supposed to believe that Jamgo Fett...the template chosen by Sidious and Tyranus for the clone army, sprung from these so-called cardboard pacifists? Who knows...maybe something happens in the course of this story arc to give that idea some teeth...but not yet.I'm not sure what you mean here. Death Watch doesn't seem too pacifistic.

JediTricks
02-06-2010, 09:49 PM
This was an ok episode, but in terms of the mandalorian thing it felt like a disconnect from last week, and Satine carrying a gun "deactivator" was a bit of a dropped concept, as was the ending (which I found somewhat obvious, and Obi-Wan's reason for not killing him or cutting his arm off was just a CPD). Some of the bug hunt stuff was ok, but the ineptitude of the only active enemies was disappointing since they looked like FX-6's head with spider legs. It felt too similar and not as good as Brain Invaders though, too soon as well.

So, for all these Mandalorian fans, let me ask: does ANYTHING they've done so far qualify to you as "supercommando"? To me, there hasn't been 1 thing about them that fits that bill.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-06-2010, 11:26 PM
So, for all these Mandalorian fans, let me ask: does ANYTHING they've done so far qualify to you as "supercommando"? To me, there hasn't been 1 thing about them that fits that bill.That's easy: they have cool-looking outfits. And speak with deep voices, behind a mask/helmet.

figrin bran
02-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, here's my two cents on this show about now...

So...we've had all this hype about the Mandos and seeing Mandolore and what do we get? More whip-creme-hairdo fops being ruled by another brittle, big-hat-hair-thing woman who presides over another over-decorated mall planet...

I'll give Fioni and company this much...they certainly defied expectations and managed to stick their fingers in the eyes of every fan who's bothered to follow the Mandolorians through various sources (games, books, comics) over the years....all just to give Obi-Wan a limp variation of Amidala and further erode the Jedi as both a concept and as characters.

Alright...let's ignore all of the EU stuff and just stick with what's come before (in the films)...we're supposed to believe that Jamgo Fett...the template chosen by Sidious and Tyranus for the clone army, sprung from these so-called cardboard pacifists? Who knows...maybe something happens in the course of this story arc to give that idea some teeth...but not yet.

And I'm with those here who DO NOT appreiciate the voice acting for Obi-Wan. The guy is AWFUL...constantly making Kenobi sound like some martini-swilling fop that is just annoyed at everything. No noble sounds eminating from this guy...it's like nails on chalkboard.

Actually, it's not just Obi-Wan...there've been many instances during the course of this series where the voice talent is more distracting than effective (Aylaa Secura springs quickly to mind, among others)...

We'll see...but so far, I'm not impressed...and I can see why Traviss walked.
There could have been many ways to work this so that there weren't so many glaring contradictions between what Fioni is doing and what the EU has offered about these characters....after all, why hype the Mandos to the audience that would know who they are if you're just going to throw out everything and replace it with such derivative nonsense?

Why alienate that audience?

Martini swilling fop is right!

As this was the first episode in this arc to be produced, that might explain some of the disconnect that JT was referring to.

I thought this latest episode was okay. For a Paul Dini written episode, it should've been better though. It certainly had good plot elements but wasn't executed as well as it should've been.

Maerj2000
02-07-2010, 10:31 AM
I thought that the Spider Assasin Droid using that dead clone as a puppet was one of the creepiest moments in the show so far! I also loved the ending and Anakin's nonchalant attitude about it. "Well, he was going to blow up the ship" then he just strolls away to go get something to eat.

The whole pacifist thing seems to be a recent development for the Mandalorians. The only one who seems to be really for it is the Duchess herself. There could be some sort of retcon that would make everything fit.

sonofsokol
02-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I rewatched it this morning and using the dead clone as a puppet was really disturbing.:twisted:

Darth Metalmute
02-08-2010, 09:04 AM
While I enjoy this show, I can't help but feel this is turning into why I hate most things Superman. Superman has one weakness, the rare krytonite metal, yet every villian seems to get their hands on it. The same thing goes for jedi. Every villian uses the jedi weakness against them. That weakness appears to be the inability to think on the spot. If that was Lucas's jedi, Obi-Wan would have cut his hand off. Anakin would have even cut his hand off. Although I loved the fact Anakin snuck up and killed him, it didn't make much sense to do that. I got a kick out of it since the senator stated that Obi-Wan wouldn't do it because he trys to avoid heroism then here come Mr. "I love to be a hero" Skywalker.

JediTricks
02-08-2010, 04:53 PM
That's easy: they have cool-looking outfits. And speak with deep voices, behind a mask/helmet.Thanks for that. :p

Martini swilling fop is right!

As this was the first episode in this arc to be produced, that might explain some of the disconnect that JT was referring to.

I thought this latest episode was okay. For a Paul Dini written episode, it should've been better though. It certainly had good plot elements but wasn't executed as well as it should've been.This was written by Paul Dini? I expected better from him.

morpheus282
02-08-2010, 06:53 PM
If that was Lucas's jedi, Obi-Wan would have cut his hand off. Anakin would have even cut his hand off.

This being a kid's show, here's a list of things I doubt we'll ever see in the show.

Amputation
Decapitation
Bifurcation
Eviceration
I know the movies were rather graphic at times with Ponda Baba's bloody arm laying on the floor and Tusken Raiders falling to pieces courtesy of Anakin's blade, but they weren't written for Cartoon Network either.

scooter71
02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
i think it makes great sense for anakin to come to obi-wans aid and striking from behind plunges him further down the road to the darkside

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-08-2010, 08:29 PM
I was only finally able to watch this episode, since I missed it on Friday and they put it up online today. I thought it was pretty great. There were a lot of cool little moments - the spider droid going into the clone's helmet, the droid using the clone like a puppet, the hyperspace tunnel being in the background of the dinner, the Imperial March when Anakin killed Tal Merrick, and all of the great R2-D2 moments. The bigger story was very interesting as well, showing Obi-Wan to be more like Anakin that maybe we originally thought. There were a lot of good lines throughout, too. Not as action-packed as last week, but still great in other areas.

sonofsokol
02-08-2010, 10:53 PM
This being a kid's show, here's a list of things I doubt we'll ever see in the show.

Amputation
Decapitation
Bifurcation
Eviceration
I know the movies were rather graphic at times with Ponda Baba's bloody arm laying on the floor and Tusken Raiders falling to pieces courtesy of Anakin's blade, but they weren't written for Cartoon Network either.

...and No Disintegrations

Mad Slanted Powers
02-09-2010, 01:03 AM
But impaling is just fine.

DarkJedi5
02-09-2010, 01:14 AM
If you think about it, it is rather tidy. They don't do a big burn mark around the wound (though the clothing should burn) and compared to severing a limb (which would go flopping about or rolling around) it's almost civilized. In the films we saw a good deal of all of this (stab wounds: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan (AOTC); amputation: Ponda Baba, Wampa, Luke, Vader, Anakin [several times] and Dooku; decapitation: Tusken Raider, Jango and Dooku; bifurcation: Darth Maul, Geonosians and Separatist leaders; evisceration: tauntaun) but as was said before this is for the kids and so it will probably be toned way down in most episodes. On the other hand the Geonosians being incinerated with flame throwers was definitely a memorable instance of the violence being turn up a couple notches.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-11-2010, 12:18 AM
And what about the suicide by high building, from the first of the Mandalorians episodes?

morpheus282
02-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Suicide by high building, minus the splatter that should have occured and would have occured in most PG to R rated movies.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-11-2010, 01:12 AM
Here's (http://starwars.com/video/view/000951.html) a pretty cool preview video for the next episode. Look at all those Mandalorians! :eek:

JediTricks
02-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Wow, another rather snorey episode. This one ran around Coruscant more, so I liked that. They even used imagery from the Illustrated SW Universe which was great. But the story was another TPM-esque bore, and yet again the Mandos do jack squat. Hell, the only Mandalorian doing anything wasn't even particularly good at his assassin job. And the ludicrousness of Satine getting blamed for the assassination was a huge CPD. But at least Obi-Wan whipped out a few actual Jedi moves, boneheaded though that last one was. Satine finally made some headway explaining her issues about the Jedi in a sensible way, but it's too little, too late. I liked this one slightly more than the last, but very little overall.

pbarnard
02-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Why are all the 3 part episodes really the same? It's about duty and how it conflicts with what they want to really do be it clone, jedi, politician. The one shots are entertaining and interesting.

jonthejedi
02-16-2010, 05:45 AM
After all the wait...the Mandalore trilogy was a humungus bore. C'mon Dave, it's a cartoon after all...stop putting us asleep. Hasn't been a decent ep. since the premiere.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
I thought it was another good one, if nothing groundbreaking. It was fun to see Mas Amedda, Mon Mothma, a Kaminoan senator, and what I assume was Mot-Not Rab (or at least members of his species). Dave mentioned the sound design on this one, and it was indeed pretty great, especially during the scene after the detonator went off.

I have to assume we'll see more Mandalorians in the future, given how they left it.

JediTricks
02-16-2010, 07:55 PM
That was the end of this story?!? That's it? I thought for sure this was gonna be a 4-parter, NOTHING HAPPENED AT THE END. Are you guys sure??? The Mandalorians were so LAME! I thought for sure their final act would be INTERESTING, but apparently not, they just stand around and do nothing.

And by the way, Mas Amedda is easily the least-believable character in all the prequels now. He looks like the devil, he acts like a mustache-twirling villain, and he's always doing bad things in a sleazy voice.

2-1B
02-19-2010, 11:28 AM
I missed it last week so I watched it online...not a bad episode but not great, either. I liked it because it was on Coruscant, so that was cool. And I liked Obi in this one. No Ahsoka either, which always raises the bar. :p

I don't care either way about the Mandalorians but I agree with James Tiberius that it's a bad way to end this arc and it should have included a part 4. If they bring them back later in the series like JJL suggested, then I'm more open to the idea. Frankly, if they weren't hyping up the Mandalorian angle so much, I wouldn't really care because it's not something I was particularly excited to see in the first place. They're a nice touch to include in the story but I don't need them to be a dominant element.

JimJamBonds
02-19-2010, 07:03 PM
And by the way, Mas Amedda is easily the least-believable character in all the prequels now. He looks like the devil, he acts like a mustache-twirling villain, and he's always doing bad things in a sleazy voice.

So what's wrong with talking in a sleazy voice? lol

JediTricks
02-20-2010, 03:54 AM
It makes characters obvious and silly and unbelievable.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-20-2010, 10:45 AM
In the next episode, Mas ties Padme to the tracks of a mag-lev train on Coruscant, so Anakin has to save her, save her, while Mr. Amedda robs the branch of the Intergalactic Banking Clan. SPOILER: and Mas would've gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those meddling Padawans! : oldmanPalpatine:

2-1B
02-20-2010, 11:02 AM

It worked for Mickey Rourke, who was nominated for an Oscar last year in The Wrestler.

JimJamBonds
02-20-2010, 04:58 PM

Umm its a cartoon Mr. Tiberius. :D

JediTricks
02-20-2010, 10:58 PM
In the next episode, Mas ties Padme to the tracks of a mag-lev train on Coruscant, so Anakin has to save her, save her, while Mr. Amedda robs the branch of the Intergalactic Banking Clan. SPOILER: and Mas would've gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those meddling Padawans! : oldmanPalpatine:That and the train floated over Padme.

It worked for Mickey Rourke, who was nominated for an Oscar last year in The Wrestler.I wouldn't know.

Umm its a cartoon Mr. Tiberius. :DKids aren't actually that stupid, it's just easier to treat them that way than to come up with something complex that they can grasp.

El Chuxter
02-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Umm its a cartoon Mr. Tiberius. :D

Dude, JT thinks a TV show should be more serious, so you compare him to a Roman emperor who had pre-teen slave boys that he called "minnows" nibble his naked body as he swam around, and took unweaned babies from their mothers so they'd suck... um... never mind?

That's really, really harsh, man.

I don't like the show at all, so you must think I'm some hideous mesh of Caligula and Nero, who goes around burning down the city so that I can get my horse declared to be a priest (and then, presumably, have my way with it, kill it, and have my way with it again).

pbarnard
02-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Dude, JT thinks a TV show should be more serious, so you compare him to a Roman emperor who had pre-teen slave boys that he called "minnows" nibble his naked body as he swam around, and took unweaned babies from their mothers so they'd suck... um... never mind?

That's really, really harsh, man.

I don't like the show at all, so you must think I'm some hideous mesh of Caligula and Nero, who goes around burning down the city so that I can get my horse declared to be a priest (and then, presumably, have my way with it, kill it, and have my way with it again).

He could just be calling him Captain too...that ship, what's the registry, NCC-1701, James Tiberius Kirk I think...:thumbsup:

I bet JT even has a problem with Mas Ameda's species, Chagrain...much to his chagrin. Maybe that adds to his sleazy demeanor. :upset:

El Chuxter
02-20-2010, 11:26 PM
But that would be Mr Kirk. :crazed:

The fact that Tiberius doesn't even rank among the five worst shows how incredibly wacked out of their gourds some of the emperors were. Try imagining Commodus with the power of a Sith Lord. Palpatine looks like a cute little puppy in comparison. I don't even want to think about a lunatic like Caligula with a superlaser at his disposal.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Kids aren't actually that stupid, it's just easier to treat them that way than to come up with something complex that they can grasp.Consider what else is on the network. How does this show compare to something like that Ben 10 thing that comes on before it? I've not seen an entire episode, but I would say that The Clone Wars is a bit sophisticated than that.

JimJamBonds
02-21-2010, 03:32 AM
He could just be calling him Captain too...that ship, what's the registry, NCC-1701, James Tiberius Kirk I think...:thumbsup:

Yes it was a Star Trek reference thanks PB.

DarkJedi5
02-25-2010, 01:10 AM
When do the new episodes return?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-25-2010, 01:39 AM
I thought it would be Senate Murders on March 5, but it looks like it'll be a double feature; they're replaying The Mandalore Plot this Friday, so I'm betting it will be Voyage of Temptation and Duchess of Mandalore on March 5.

In other words, I have no idea. :p

EDIT: I just checked the StarWars.com blog, and it says it will air March 19. It'll only be the 15th episode of the season, whereas last year, the season was done on March 22 (as I recall). I like that it's lasting longer, but I hate how spread out they are sometimes - Senate Murders will be airing a full five weeks after Duchess of Mandalore if this is true, which is just way too much.

JediTricks
02-26-2010, 04:11 AM
I hate how badly spread out this show is. There's no way to build momentum with it just start-stop-rerun crap that Cartoon Network is doing. This is the same crap they do with a lot of the shows like this.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-26-2010, 09:40 AM
It's still probably better than when I was a kid and watched the same episodes of the same cartoons over and over again for several years.

pbarnard
02-26-2010, 10:39 AM
I think this break is brought more about by the Olympics plain and simple. Why they don't start next week with new episodes is a better question. With Saturday and Thursday reruns scheduled as well, they walk a fine line of airing just enough to make you want to watch more even if you don't particularly like the show. They're sort of like the NFL in that regard, the air so little actual product that it appears better than it actually is.

JediTricks
02-26-2010, 04:37 PM
It's still probably better than when I was a kid and watched the same episodes of the same cartoons over and over again for several years.Oh how I hated that as a kid. I didn't understand the TV season thing, and reruns became the bane of my existence, haunting me up to Star Trek the Next Generation even (Best of Both Worlds was the worst summer of my life :p). But for my cartoons, most weren't arcing stories so it wasn't as bad. Here we've got an actual story arc going, or really not going. It's too many breaks in a short time.

DarkJedi5
02-26-2010, 11:29 PM
You really think it's on a break because of the Olympics? The two week break lines up about right, but kids aren't watching the Olympics.

El Chuxter
02-27-2010, 01:35 AM
Could be; The Brave and the Bold was also suddenly put on hiatus until mid-March, and I'm pretty sure that's their two most popular boys' cartoons right now.

Darth Metalmute
03-01-2010, 08:54 AM
You really think it's on a break because of the Olympics? The two week break lines up about right, but kids aren't watching the Olympics.

True, but parents are. I not going to pretend I know anything about ratings, but I believe the ratings stem from a households main tv, or whichever one is legitimately hooked into the cable.;)

Mad Slanted Powers
03-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Also, there are plenty of kids who dream of being in the Olympics, so they must have been inspired by the previous generation.

JediTricks
03-01-2010, 05:49 PM
It's not a break due to the Olympics. This is SOP for television, there's a pause during the holidays and then January builds up to sweeps in the first portion of February, then once they made their play for ratings they dump their audiences for the second half of February.

TheDarthVader
03-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Someone remind me how many more seasons of cw we have left? Is this the last season?

Rocketboy
03-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Someone remind me how many more seasons of cw we have left? Is this the last season?Not unless this is a 78 episode season. The goal was 100 episodes, so that leaves at least 3 more seasons.

JediTricks
03-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Uh oh. That's what I said when I saw the pic of Padme attached to Lucasfilm's press release for this week's new Clone Wars:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=57&p2_articleid=2738

I can't think of a single Padme-centric episode that has worked yet. They're all incredibly dry and boring. The article talks about bringing the politics to the show, but honestly, those aspects have nearly always brought the show to a halt when it's the focus of the episode.

Apparently, this ep has already been released on itunes, anybody spend a buck to watch it a week early? No? I didn't think so.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-16-2010, 06:20 PM
I read that the episode was put up but got taken back down quickly, so it was likely a mistake.

Some spoilers follow, so look out.

Apparently Onaconda Farr gets murdered in Senate Murders, which could conflict with a small HoloNet News thing from an issue of Insider that has him alive closer to the end of the war. Oh well. I'm glad to see more Bail Organa and Mon Mothma, at least.

In Cat and Mouse (March 26), Anakin and Obi-Wan go to Christophsis to rescue Bail Organa. The description says the planet is Separatist-controlled; is this yet another prequel to the series, or has it fallen since the first battle, I wonder?

In Bounty Hunters (April 2), Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka go to Felucia and have to team up with bounty hunters including Sugi and Embo against Hondo Ohnaka. Hondo wasn't my favorite character for some reason so hopefully it'll be good; at least they're finally getting back to the bounty hunters promised so heavily at the start of the season.

Speaking of which, it sounds like Bossk will appear in episode 20, according to this site (http://programme.tvb.com/kids/starwarstheclonewars2/more/cast#). He'll be working with Cad Bane and Aurra Sing, from the description, so that should be cool.

Rocketboy
03-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Speaking of which, it sounds like Bossk will appear in episode 20, according to this site (http://programme.tvb.com/kids/starwarstheclonewars2/more/cast#). He'll be working with Cad Bane and Aurra Sing, from the description, so that should be cool.Except for the Cad Bane and Aurra Sing part.
:D

figrin bran
03-19-2010, 02:09 AM
I watched the Senate Murders episode. Don't bother with it! Not only was it extremely predictable (I figured out who the murderer was right away) but it introduced a new supporting character with a horrible design and even worse characterization.

JediTricks
03-19-2010, 05:10 AM
Well, I'll watch because it's habit, and because it's the only thing my DVR will be recording on Friday, but ouch.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-20-2010, 12:36 AM
For me, it was kind of a mixed bag. I liked how the whole story was a callback to Bombad Jedi, dealing with Farr's decisions and how they had far-reaching repercussions. I also enjoyed seeing Bail and Mon and how we finally got a Padmé episode that didn't center around her getting captured and having to be rescued. But Tan Divo was kind of annoying and any humor surrounding him was kind of killed by the extremely drawn-out delivery by Tom Kenny. And I couldn't decide if the Umbaran senator talking like a vampire was cool or a bit too obvious. So, overall, I think the episode was good in theory but off in practice.

Oh, and I liked the red-and-blue police lights at first, but when they went to close-ups, you could see how fake the models looked and how much the lighting really sells the look of the show.

I enjoy the political side of this, but after three senate-focused episodes, it's definitely time to get back to the front lines.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-20-2010, 12:38 PM
If I was a kid, I'd have moaned about it being so boooooring quite early on. I somewhat liked how they tried to make it "suspenseful" for a child audience, but for adults, as has been previously mentioned, it was fairly predictable (are the bad guys really bad? or are the good guys bad?). The inspector was only slightly less annoying that Capote the Hutt was. And there's that pronunciation issue of "Kaminoan" again.

Best part? The sound effect on Padme's gun; I always liked that from the films.

Ando
03-22-2010, 12:07 PM
I was messing around with my smart phone the whole time it was on and was oly half paying attention.

I don't feel like I missed anything. This was the first time during the span of the show that I truly didn't care to watch.

sonofsokol
03-22-2010, 12:34 PM
I thought my 4 year old was going to get board after reading all the comments, but he was really into it. At first he thought it was Senator Deechi then he thought it was "the police guy with the big belly, cause he is just weird." I was really suprised how much he paid attention despite the lack of lightsabers/jedi

This episode made me really want a Padme figure in her Senate attire and maybe even a police droid. They police droids have been in several episodes now.

The Senate Gaurds looked really cool too, I guess this is why:
from the episode guide: When the Senate Guards first appeared in Season One, they had their capes removed to avoid the costly cloth simulation required to animate them. Caped and plumed guards were developed first for this episode.

And is it just me, or is Mon Mothma hot???

DarkArtist
03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
i actually enjoyed the Senate Murders episode. true the villian was easy to figure out from the beginning but over all it was a decent episode.. looking forward to more action episodes though.

JimJamBonds
03-22-2010, 12:51 PM
This past episode I thought was nothing special. I won't say that it was 'bad' but did it even advance the storyline at all?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-22-2010, 02:14 PM
This past episode I thought was nothing special. I won't say that it was 'bad' but did it even advance the storyline at all?
Well, it provided for more bonding between Padmé and Bail, which I like to see. And the vote to increase troop levels passed, so that's something. But the fact that most of these episodes are somewhat disconnected means there's not always a solid arc to follow, and thus they don't always need to further the overall narrative.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-22-2010, 03:57 PM
And is it just me, or is Mon Mothma hot???Remember, she's 20 years younger than ROJ, and still a redhead. :lipsrsealed:

JediTricks
03-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Well, I should have taken Bran's advice. That was awful. The writing wanted to be a hard-boiled detective story, but came off rather thin instead (that tends to happen when your hardened detective is an early 20s girl senator). Characters were written largely to fill the needs of the story (except the Kaminoan senator, who was slightly compelling). But the real disaster of this was the voice casting and directing.

Bail Organa, I didn't know you were secretly Kit Fisto on the side! And I know Phil Lamarr has other voices so why they chose that one, and then kept coming and going with an accent, is totally beyond me. And then all of a sudden he's also a senate guard and sounds pretty much the same too.

Lt. Divo being voiced by Tom "Spongebob" Kenny was a disaster. First off, Kenny has voiced other stuff without sounding this way, so why they went with a cartoony style made no sense. It was downright distracting.

Onaconda Farr being a big whiner constantly moping about until his death was lame, but they really amped that up in the directing.

And why was Divo's head so massive? That was just offputting, the hair-helmet thing too. And his stupid face! I got that it was supposed to be Peter Lorre, but this was so cartoony it looked more like a Looney Tunes version.

And why was the killer down at the docks? Had she not gone back there, there would have been no evidence to continue the investigation that way, but instead we need a pointless action sequence. Of course, why had she gone there in the first place? A private place to talk politics with Farr? Why not his PRIVATE SENATE OFFICES THAT ONLY HE AND SHE WERE PRIVY TO?!?

Oh, and let's not forget the star of the episode, Padme. First off, they went surprisingly political with Padme here, that was pretty bold, but it didn't make for good television so they had to really jam it down the audience's throat to make sure it stuck, thus killing any moral ambiguity it should have enjoyed. And then she becomes a gumshoe when she doesn't trust Lt. Divo to do his job, but she never really gives a good indication of why she doesn't trust him, does she not trust the justice system in general? Does she think he won't follow other leads once the ones he was on exhausted? She barges into private senatorial chambers of her political rivals and accuses them of murder, are there no senate codes of conduct? Finally, when others accuse Onaconda Farr of being a traitor costing people their lives, Padme excuses it without thought, demands that he deserves forgiveness and did nothing wrong beyond making mistakes. But what about the people who lost their lives on Rodia because of his mistake? What about the fact that his treachery was knowingly intended to KILL Padme by giving her to the CIS? Tut tut, meaningless, he's a good guy and it's sad he's dead, no more to say, he was an angel in life.

Oh, and I'm also totally sick of the Coruscant police droids. That is stupid beyond thought, they look ridiculously out of place and the bumble everything they do.

This whole episode felt slapped together.

figrin bran
03-22-2010, 11:18 PM
JT, yes you should have taken my advice but I also should have been more adamant that if you had to miss an episode of Clone Wars, this is that one episode.

I disliked everything about Lt. Divo. Tom Kenny's Starscream voice on Transformers Animated was outstanding, I thought, so it's unfortunate to hear him go the over the top caricature route with this voice. I didn't like the Kaminoan senator's voice either.

I didn't even consider that angle about Onaconda, that's how jarring all the other elements were.

Lastly, those Keystone Cop droids have got to go!

JediTricks
03-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I've heard Kenny do other work that paid off, and here it really didn't, so that's why I made sure to place a lot of blame on the shoulders of the voice directing.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Okay, here come some spoilers . . .

This USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2010-03-25-empirestrikes25_CV_N.htm) article, mostly covering the 30th anniversary of ESB, mentions that Boba Fett is coming to the series on April 23 and the season finale on April 30. Voiced by Daniel Logan, and out for revenge. That is some cool stuff right there. :eek:

Tycho
03-25-2010, 02:39 AM
I love political shows. Smart characters know how to make things they want happen without donning armor and drawing weapons all the time. As glorious and graceful as some Jedi fighting has been, I appreciate keen or scheming intelligence, too. And it takes skill to write that.

I liked the Onconda Farr episode and it did get Padme and Bail Organa into some action! Cool!

I also love Hondo the pirate. I've bought a handful of his action figure and I hope they see fit to make his pirate saucer fighter ship for the vehicle line. Pirates are cool.

Mon Mothma was hot when she was a young chicky.

The Padme in Senate attire they should make is her in the outfit she wore in Palpatine's office in the beginning of AOTC. And they should make that figure for both CW and Legacy already!

They really shouldn't be using Coruscant Police Droids, btw. Clones with "droid poppers" have shown how ineffective droids can be when in small numbers. I'm sure droid poppers are popular on the black market. The Senate Guards are awesome and an offshoot of them ought to be used in the police force. After the depradations of the Separatists, people in the Republic (or anywhere for that matter) really don't like droids anyway.

I'm excited to see Boba Fett and Bossk.

If they don't screw with EU continuity, the bounty hunters still operate in a trade guild where they choose contracts from (Boba never complied with this however) and Bossk should participate because his father Cradossk runs the Guild and Bossk is supposed to inherit the leadership from his father.

Trandoshans kill their own parents (or fathers anyway) but Bossk doesn't kill his father until around the time of ANH.

El Chuxter
03-25-2010, 11:35 AM
If they don't screw with EU continuity, the bounty hunters still operate in a trade guild where they choose contracts from (Boba never complied with this however) and Bossk should participate because his father Cradossk runs the Guild and Bossk is supposed to inherit the leadership from his father.

Trandoshans kill their own parents (or fathers anyway) but Bossk doesn't kill his father until around the time of ANH.

Tycho, you haven't actually been watching this show, have you? They'll change it so significantly that Bossk now became a bounty hunter because his father was a florist.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-25-2010, 05:10 PM
And, his name will be pronounced "Boh-sk," speaking with a Swedish accent.

figrin bran
03-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Please no one start a Lt. Divo figure campaign, please!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-27-2010, 12:57 AM
I rewatched Senate Murders yesterday and liked it more than I did the first time, if that's worth anything.

That said, I really, really enjoyed tonight's episode. There was just so much cool stuff here - new clones, new ships, more Hyena Bombers, awesome action. Admiral Trench was one of the coolest characters they've introduced lately; I like when the Separatists come off as actual threats as opposed to bumbling jokes . . . so of course he had to die. :p Though his death was pretty spectacular. I loved the fact that we actually saw Obi-Wan serving Bail during the Clone Wars, and the ANH nod during Bail's hologram was awesome. The fact that it was yet another prequel to the series/movie was interesting as well; seems this was the first time Anakin and Yularen worked together. I'd like to see more episodes like this and fewer like Senate Murders, so thankfully the balance usually goes in favor of this sort of thing.

JediTricks
03-27-2010, 04:30 AM
I didn't enjoy this episode, I found it really stupid to the point of distraction.

The cloak ship is odd looking and not very Star Wars, I know they're going for a submarine theme in the story here but it just comes off not Star Wars to me.

Obi-Wan's big plan is to retreat and send in a tiny cloak ship, how does that make any sense? Obi-Wan also decides that saving a few lives is more important than ensuring that the greater good is served by sending the CIS packing, despite his plan ensuring that far more people die in the immediate and later timeframe. Anakin flies the ship directly next to the enemy, why? And Anakin flies the ship directly into the line of fire of the enemy's guns just in case they don't test-fire or something? Then, when the enemy sends out Hyena Bombers, they magically are sent directly at the cloak ship, so what else could Anakin do but stop and wait for them to run into him? Oh wait, ANYTHING ELSE BUT THAT!!! Not that it matters, the Hyena Bombers are totally pointless to the story, once they fly over our heroes they are of no concern whatsoever to the story anymore, never mind that our pals on the ground still have to fight them off and have no backup except a tiny supply ship. Anakin then decides to let all Bail's group die horrible deaths at the hands of the Hyena Bombers so he can take potshots at the leader of the blockade group, which is pointless and reckless, not to mention also giving away the existence of the Republic's NEWEST PROTOTYPE WEAPON to the enemy! Then Anakin decides to use his cloak ship, which we JUST saw get nice and close to the enemy, yet he decloaks miles away to fire a few slow torpedoes, ensuring the enemy has every chance to put up his shields... um, why? And Obi-Wan stays out of the way with his fleet instead of moving in for distraction so that they can... do... something? And finally, because I'm tired and can't remember all the foolish writing as well after an hour, Anakin's big plan is to drag the enemy torpedoes back into their faces, which he does by FLYING RIGHT NEXT TO THE SHIP, but what would have happened if they had just started blasting at them with lasers when they decloaked? They knew exactly where the cloak ship had to be based on the trajectory of the torpedoes homing on it.

Oh yeah, and Yularen's big help here is to be useless after his 1 brief piece of information, that was totally a good use of the character.

I suspect there was a better episode in the original draft, and it just got cut down too much to work right.

Tycho
03-27-2010, 10:29 AM
The cloak ship is odd looking and not very Star Wars, I know they're going for a submarine theme in the story here but it just comes off not Star Wars to me.

It's straight out of the established EU actually: the ship resembles Rendilli Star Drive models like the early Imperial Dreadnaught cruisers.

Obi-Wan's big plan is to retreat and send in a tiny cloak ship, how does that make any sense? Obi-Wan also decides that saving a few lives is more important than ensuring that the greater good is served by sending the CIS packing, despite his plan ensuring that far more people die in the immediate and later timeframe.

You're right. I don't know what Obi-Wan was thinking.

You make good points about Anakin's strategy, too - though I agree with the way Anakin established his own priorities for the campaign.

Meanwhile, I want to know why the heck they keep returning to Christophis out of the chronological story order?

You could pretend that Christophis is so important to the war effort, that it constantly changes hands and they fight over it every few weeks or something, but who's deciding to let them go back and do episodes out of order?

Why not take a break and have an episode where Dooku (as he was when he was still a Jedi) discovers the Kaminoans have perfected Cloning technology? - Actually that might be interesting, but at least frame the story in the "present day" of the Clone Wars.

Maradona
03-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Maybe I missed it, since I was drifting in and out of consciousness watching the show, but this episode seemed like a prequel to the "movie" that launched the series.

I just don't like alien accents in Star Wars. I would prefer a return to subtitles.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I just don't like alien accents in Star Wars. I would prefer a return to subtitles.I don't know. It was kind of annoying in the theater when you have the opening scrolls or the subtitles, and having to hear the parents sitting near you read it to their kids. That wouldn't be a problem for a TV show, but it might make it more difficult for a kid to figure out what is going.

JediTricks
03-27-2010, 04:38 PM
It's straight out of the established EU actually: the ship resembles Rendilli Star Drive models like the early Imperial Dreadnaught cruisers.Yes, I recognized some similarities, but:
A) they're not all that similar:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stealth_ship
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dreadnaught-class_heavy_cruiser
B) the Dreadnaught-class cruisers which I believe were first seen in the comic for the Heir to the Empire series are a bland, 1990s sci-fi design that is pretty plain and doesn't fit well with Star Wars.

Meanwhile, I want to know why the heck they keep returning to Christophis out of the chronological story order?

You could pretend that Christophis is so important to the war effort, that it constantly changes hands and they fight over it every few weeks or something, but who's deciding to let them go back and do episodes out of order?I agree, going back to this planet where all we know is the visual architecture, with no real mention of its people or importance is a waste of time and a distraction. And then the fact that we're going back in the timeline is confusing as well.

Why not take a break and have an episode where Dooku (as he was when he was still a Jedi) discovers the Kaminoans have perfected Cloning technology? - Actually that might be interesting, but at least frame the story in the "present day" of the Clone Wars.I doubt Lucas would let them play in that era, but it also would be extremely derailing to the heroic clone trooper characters. The show has a specific voice for them, to go backwards and show their sinister roots would only undermine their characters for the series.

Maybe I missed it, since I was drifting in and out of consciousness watching the show, but this episode seemed like a prequel to the "movie" that launched the series.

I just don't like alien accents in Star Wars. I would prefer a return to subtitles.Yes, I believe this was a prequel to those episodes' tales.

I am not a fan of the hero accents either, but little kids can't read as fast as adults and a lot of dialogue is needed to move the story along, so it wouldn't be fair to them to use alienese.

Maerj2000
03-27-2010, 10:19 PM
I normally don't like alien species based off of animals, like when they take someone and put a tiger head on him and say its an alien. But the spider dude was an interesting design. I don't know if he's dead, they said one of his ships wree blown up before and he came back.

I also like the design of the cloak ship. I can see Hasbro making one of those if its feature a couple more tims in the show.

JimJamBonds
03-27-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure if this can be found elsewhere in this thread but did anybody else think that spider guy (I'm blanking on his name at the moment) sound like Boss Nass at all?

DarkJedi5
03-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Yeah, it was the habitual clicking he was doing, but I definitely thought that.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-28-2010, 03:02 PM
I also got the Boss Nass thing, and his voice reminded me a lot of John Rhys-Davies. I was surprised to learn it was Dee Bradley Baker; that was some good work on his part.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-28-2010, 03:39 PM
I watched it again last night, and something about his delivery reminded me of Palpatine, particularly from ROTJ.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-28-2010, 04:34 PM
I liked this one. Good plot, if simple. Not dragged along, with a brief "cliffhanger" before the commercial. And Bail once again has an "only hope" line connected to Kenobi.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-28-2010, 04:56 PM
There was also the mention of small ships not usually having cloaking devices.

Ando
03-29-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure if this can be found elsewhere in this thread but did anybody else think that spider guy (I'm blanking on his name at the moment) sound like Boss Nass at all?

Admiral Trench was his name.

Yes, my wife and I both thought he sounded like Boss Nass/Brian Blessed.

We enjoyed the episode, especially after "Senate Murders".

sonofsokol
03-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I was hoping Admiral Trench would last a couple episodes so they (Hasbro) would make him into an action figure.

I really want figures of the the clone pilot who flew the small ship with Anikan (pictures 1 and 2) and Blackout (picture 3) with his Jaig eyes (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaig_eyes)like Captain Rex has on his helmet.

JediTricks
03-29-2010, 04:42 PM
I normally don't like alien species based off of animals, like when they take someone and put a tiger head on him and say its an alien. But the spider dude was an interesting design. I don't know if he's dead, they said one of his ships wree blown up before and he came back.

I also like the design of the cloak ship. I can see Hasbro making one of those if its feature a couple more tims in the show.His facial design reminded me of Ponda Baba a little.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-30-2010, 07:11 PM
An article from TV Guide (http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/news/boba-fett-makes-his-clone-wars-debut-4515.html) has this to say, with some spoilers:

Boba Fett Makes His Clone Wars Debut
by Michael Logan March 29, 2010 09:55 AM EST

As the second season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars comes to a close, the whole damn galaxy is at war, but Jedi knights Anakin Skywalker and Mace Windu have a much smaller problem on their hands—12-year-old Boba Fett. The young character, who will grow up to become a hugely popular villain in Star Wars: Episode V—the Empire Strikes Back, is at the center of a trilogy of season-ending episodes. Part 1 airs April 23, with a doubleheader on April 30.

The plot has Boba seeking revenge against Mace for beheading his father, Jango—one of the big events in Episode II—Attack of the Clones. And the kid’s got a nefarious backup team, including Bossk, the lizard bounty hunter from Empire, and Aurra Sing, the chalk-white Jedi killer first seen in Episode I—The Phantom Menace.

Supervising director Dave Filoni says, “The fans are insane about Boba Fett and never got enough of him in the films. This is our chance to get inside the mind and heart of a child who’s trying to navigate the Star Wars universe.” Word is, George Lucas himself pushed for this story.

I had expected Boba to try to get revenge on Mace in ROTS, so it should be interesting to see it here instead. Obviously he doesn't succeed, and he, Bossk, and Mace all live to fight another day, so I wonder how it will play out.

Oh, I was also wondering about the schedule for the rest of the season - seems like one episode a week and then a two-parter on April 30 (unless they double up and leave a blank week at some point, but I doubt it).

JediTricks
03-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Well, I guess this explains that new Mace figure's accessory a little better.

sonofsokol
03-31-2010, 11:51 AM
So I guess some station in the UK is showing the new episodes a week ahead of the Cartoon Network in the US. What is up with that?!?!?!:confused:

***Spoiler Alert***

They have already aired episode 18 entitled "Bounty Hunters" (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bounty_Hunters_(episode)) where Anikan, Obi-wan, and Ahsoka crash on Felucia and help out some local farmers (and the bounty hunters they had hired for protection) against an old foe, Hondo Ohnaka

JediTricks
03-31-2010, 03:34 PM
So I guess some station in the UK is showing the new episodes a week ahead of the Cartoon Network in the US. What is up with that?!?!?!:confused:

***Spoiler Alert***

They have already aired episode 18 entitled "Bounty Hunters" (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bounty_Hunters_(episode)) where Anikan, Obi-wan, and Ahsoka crash on Felucia and help out some local farmers (and the bounty hunters they had hired for protection) against an old foe, Hondo Ohnaka
I think Cartoon Network is to blame, they pre-empted a recent airing which threw the airing schedule off by a week. They do this all the time, it ruins their shows.

Sounds like that new episode is taken from Seven Samurai.

El Chuxter
03-31-2010, 03:39 PM
If there's an exchange along these lines, I'm out:

Anakin: Solving your problems isn't our line.
Obi-Wan: We deal in lightsabers, friend.

Wait, I was already out. Forget I said that.

JediTricks
03-31-2010, 03:53 PM
Wrong characters to say that. I would think BH's would fit much better with the Magnificent Seven roles than Jedi, what with BHs being western-themed and Jedi being samurai-themed.

Now, if Bossk says it, I'll be impressed (unless they give him some stupid human accent, then I'll call bullspit on the whole thing).

JediTricks
03-31-2010, 04:05 PM
Aw geez, I just got the press release for this episode. Great timing! It's mainly comments from voice actor Jim Cummings about the episode: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=57&p2_articleid=2767

In it, he references Charles Bronson, Yul Brynner, and The Magnificent Seven. Yeah, I think we have an obvious episode a'comin'.

It also has the dryest, lamest picture they've ever sent (and that's saying a lot), it's Hondo with a friendly expression waving to someone in the foreground, wowee. :p (the "someone" is a lady zabrak bounty hunter apparently, but it doesn't look like much from that angle)

2-1B
04-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Senate Murders - I was loving it until that Inspector guy showed up, wow was he ever annoying...they should have had Capote the Hutt in that one to take the attention off the Inspector. :dead:

Cat and Mouse - I liked this one, Trench was very interesting. Plus we got to see how "years ago you served my father in the animated series on Cartoon Network named The Clone Wars", so that argument has now been put to bed. :thumbsup:

Bounty Hunters - a mixed bag, it has some good moments. Who knew Felucia was inhabited by turtles? Is it just me or did the lead Felucian sound like Mako ???

El Chuxter
04-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Mako is dead, though. RIP.

2-1B
04-02-2010, 11:49 PM
I know, that's why it's odd to me...I know it wasn't him (unless they recorded him a few years ago) but it sounded so much like him that if you told me he WAS the voice of that guy, I would believe that they recorded it before he died.

I wonder if it was done as an homage to him or something (since I know Mako was involved in TMNT voiceovers)...I'll wait for JabbaJohn to watch it with the commentary and fill me in. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
04-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Cat and Mouse - I liked this one, Trench was very interesting. Plus we got to see how "years ago you served my father in the animated series on Cartoon Network named The Clone Wars", so that argument has now been put to bed. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I don't think everybody will go for that. lol

El Chuxter
04-02-2010, 11:57 PM
I didn't catch that. It's sort of funny, since Dark Horse already had an explanation for that line.

Not that I'm complaining (anymore, since I don't care), but is the plan to have the cartoon completely replace all the previous novels, comics, video games, and cartoons? It seems like they're fixated on having two or three explanations for everything. And, really, Asajj should just change her name to Jean Grey, unless she thinks she's returned from the dead too many times for that name to fit.

El Chuxter
04-03-2010, 12:04 AM
BTW, not Mako, unless they did a really good job of keeping it under wraps. I've scoured the system of tubes that Al Gore invented and found nada. TMNT was his last role.

2-1B
04-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I don't think everybody will go for that. lol
I didn't catch that.

Sirs, I'm pretty sure JT will back me up on that.

Not that I'm complaining (anymore, since I don't care), but is the plan to have the cartoon completely replace all the previous novels, comics, video games, and cartoons? It seems like they're fixated on having two or three explanations for everything. And, really, Asajj should just change her name to Jean Grey, unless she thinks she's returned from the dead too many times for that name to fit.

Well these Clone Wars episodes have lured Karen Travi$$ back to the fold, so they're doing something right!!!

BTW, not Mako, unless they did a really good job of keeping it under wraps. I've scoured the system of tubes that Al Gore invented and found nada. TMNT was his last role.

Thanks for checking, I was sure it wasn't him...but maybe Tom Kane does a good impression of him?
Man, Mako pwned the Conan movies.

Rocketboy
04-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Cast:
James Arnold Taylor as Obi-Wan Kenobi and pirate trooper
Matt Lanter as Anakin Skywalker and Muk Muk monkey
Anna Graves as Sugi and Rumi
Ashley Eckstein as Ahsoka Tano and village child
Jim Cummings as Hondo Ohnaka
Greg Baldwin as Casiss, Seripas and Gwarm
Stephen Stanton as Dilanni and pirate scout
Dave Filoni as Embo
Tom Kane as narratorNope.

First episode I've seen in weeks or months (based on the weird scheduling).
Pretty meh overall.
"Let's use all these rejected bounty hunter designs in one episode!"

Obi-Wan: "We don't have time to help - we need to leave - now!"
Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka stay and help anyway.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-03-2010, 01:02 AM
Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka stay and help anyway.
How, exactly, were they going to leave? The bounty hunters were their only way off.

2-1B
04-03-2010, 01:29 AM
RB, was Greg Baldwin the voice of the Mako Turtle Guy ? I don't even know what the eff they called that thing in tonight's episode. lol

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-03-2010, 02:36 AM
Are you talking about the most "elder" Felucian, Cae? That was Casiss, I think.

I just watched Seven Samurai and Magnificent Seven for the first time last weekend, so I really enjoyed the homage to that story (Kurosawa's 100th birthday would have been last month, so this coincides nicely with that). Some friends came over during the third act and I couldn't concentrate as much as I would have liked so I'll definitely have to watch it again soon, but overall, I really liked it. Embo was pretty damn cool, I must say.

wampaslayr
04-03-2010, 04:32 AM
Are you talking about the most "elder" Felucian, Cae? That was Casiss, I think.

I just watched Seven Samurai and Magnificent Seven for the first time last weekend, so I really enjoyed the homage to that story (Kurosawa's 100th birthday would have been last month, so this coincides nicely with that). Some friends came over during the third act and I couldn't concentrate as much as I would have liked so I'll definitely have to watch it again soon, but overall, I really liked it. Embo was pretty damn cool, I must say.

I agree with you about Embo. He was the only great thing about this episode. You would think that with Jedi and new bounty hunters in the same episode, it would have made an interesting story. However, the story fell flat and for some reason Obi Wan really annoyed me in this episode. I also liked the ship the Jedi were flying at the beginning. High expectations that fell flat I'm sorry to say.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-03-2010, 11:54 AM
One of the best of recent episodes, IMHO. Maybe the plot had massive holes and lapses in believability, but you know, that's not a bad thing to throw in every so often (just not TOO often). Liked the Mars Rover-style eject balloons. Thought the odd Shaggy walk of the rancor that simply passed by was weird; and then no mention of it later (what would Anton Chekov say about that :rolleyes: ).

JimJamBonds
04-03-2010, 12:37 PM
I thought it was a decent episode, although like many stories in this vein the 'we can't do anything to help you' Jedi were a rather big help.

jonthejedi
04-03-2010, 12:42 PM
"Cat & Mouse" was a lift from Hunt For Red October/Run Silent, Run Deep plus some Wrath of Khan thrown in for good measure; Bounty Hunters was Magnificent 7 all the way...c'mon, Dave...try some original story telling, rather than homage tales. Where are the "Trespass" & "Rookies" from last season?

Maradona
04-03-2010, 02:05 PM
What I appreciated most about this episode was that there was an alien that didn't speak broken English and just stuck to his own language. 23 minutes will never do justice to Seven Samurai, especially if the first 10 minutes or so is a drawn out set up. Everything prior to the Jedi stumbling onto the farm could have been said in the opening narration.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-03-2010, 02:28 PM
"Cat & Mouse" was a lift from Hunt For Red October/Run Silent, Run Deep plus some Wrath of Khan thrown in for good measure; Bounty Hunters was Magnificent 7 all the way...c'mon, Dave...try some original story telling, rather than homage tales. Where are the "Trespass" & "Rookies" from last season?
Was Cat and Mouse really a copy of those movies, or did it just seem like it, since they all dealt with submarine themes? They're bound to feel similar.

This time, at least they acknowledged the Seven Samurai thing pretty clearly with the "In memory of Akira Kurosawa" credit right at the beginning. Star Wars has been borrowing from other stories right from the start - the structure of ANH is similar to Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. But I thought Bounty Hunters had enough new stuff to be different enough from Seven Samurai and Magnificent Seven, despite riffing on the same storyline.

While we're at it, Trespass was pretty clearly inspired by cowboys-vs.-indians stories. Really, it's quite similar to Avatar in that respect, despite coming out first and being better. :p And I bet you'll hate the next two weeks, which seem to prominently feature a Godzilla-type monster.

El Chuxter
04-03-2010, 02:32 PM
They should somehow do a Hammett homage. I'm serious. Even Kurosawa copied him.

Maradona
04-03-2010, 04:07 PM
They should somehow do a Hammett homage. I'm serious. Even Kurosawa copied him.

Yes, instead of the Maltese Falcon, they could be after the Kaibur Crystal. As cool as it could be, the episode would likely disappoint.

jonthejedi
04-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Dave F...paying attention? An alien Sam Spade....hmm.

figrin bran
04-03-2010, 09:45 PM
According to the episode guide, Embo's species is Kyuzo.

Also, Sugi wields a Boba Fett style blaster.

2-1B
04-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Maybe they can do an homage to ESB episode.

El Chuxter
04-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Maybe they can do an homage to ESB episode.

Wouldn't that be called Attack of the Clones?

Maerj2000
04-04-2010, 11:59 AM
The new trailer for the season finale episode looks really, really good.

http://www.starwars.com/video/view/000992.html

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-04-2010, 07:24 PM
The new trailer for the season finale episode looks really, really good.

http://www.starwars.com/video/view/000992.html
Hell yes. Bossk's voice, from that small clip, is thankfully quite good and fitting. This should be a great arc.

Rocketboy
04-05-2010, 12:17 AM
This should be a great arc.Well, Ahsoka's in it, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. :D

The trailer does look pretty good.
Is this trailer for just the finale, or the final arc? Seems like a big story for just one episode.
Plus, with all the year long Bossk, Boba and "Rise of the Bounty Hunters" hype, there had better be more than one episode.

Tycho
04-05-2010, 12:38 AM
When you brought up Mako, I thought it was that homeless guy that was living with O.J. Simpson, but that was Kato, right?

But one of those guys was the little dude that came out of the other dude's chest in Total Recall, huh?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Well, Ahsoka's in it, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. :D

The trailer does look pretty good.
Is this trailer for just the finale, or the final arc? Seems like a big story for just one episode.
Plus, with all the year long Bossk, Boba and "Rise of the Bounty Hunters" hype, there had better be more than one episode.
It seems like there's two episodes surrounding a big monster from Malastare - "The Zillo Beast" and "The Zillo Beast Strikes Back" - and three with the bounty hunter plot "Death Trap," "R2 Come Home," and "Lethal Trackdown," though evidently the last two are airing as a double header on April 30.

JediTricks
04-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Sirs, I'm pretty sure JT will back me up on that.Yes, that seemed to be the drift of it. I found it cheap still.

Well these Clone Wars episodes have lured Karen Travi$$ back to the fold, so they're doing something right!!!Really? I'm surprised she's not breathing fire after that awful Mandalore saga in the show.

First episode I've seen in weeks or months (based on the weird scheduling).
Pretty meh overall.
"Let's use all these rejected bounty hunter designs in one episode!"Yes, it did feel like that. I liked Embo a lot, and it helped smooth over a rather lackluster episode for me, but otherwise there was not much to like. I liked the Jedi ship, but it sucked and got killed way easy. I laughed at Hondo's boisterous proclamation at the end about how this venture wasn't profitable anymore, but in hindsight it was a real cop-out and may as well have been The Shredder losing his 57th battle for no reason.

Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka stay and help anyway.IMO, that aspect really made Obi-Wan seem like a massive tool moreso than usual this episode. "We can't stay and help you, we have important things to do like make a phone call."

Another thing that bugged me about this episode was how, once again, a lot of stuff could have been achieved via the Force, and yet the Jedi use it almost never, not even in battle.

"Cat & Mouse" was a lift from Hunt For Red October/Run Silent, Run Deep plus some Wrath of Khan thrown in for good measure; Bounty Hunters was Magnificent 7 all the way...c'mon, Dave...try some original story telling, rather than homage tales. Where are the "Trespass" & "Rookies" from last season?You make a good point, there have been too many homages to other material all crammed together lately. But I think your sources are too specific, it's just the submarine movie genre in general (Wrath of Khan is intentionally lifting from the sub movie genre).

What I appreciated most about this episode was that there was an alien that didn't speak broken English and just stuck to his own language. 23 minutes will never do justice to Seven Samurai, especially if the first 10 minutes or so is a drawn out set up. Everything prior to the Jedi stumbling onto the farm could have been said in the opening narration.Boy, that is so true. Maybe there was some character development INTENDED in those first 10 minutes, but it clearly got lost along the way since all the Bounty Hunters are a snore until we see them in action, and even then most fall flat.

Dave F...paying attention? An alien Sam Spade....hmm.Too much nuance for a 22 minute cartoon, and Spade isn't Hammett's best character. I think they were going for Hammett styling in Senate Murders, and look how terrible that turned out.

Also, Sugi wields a Boba Fett style blaster.Boy did I notice the hell out of that! It was actually a distraction for me.

Bosskman
04-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Bossk sounds pretty freakin' sweet to me. I was worried but no more. BOSSK

2-1B
04-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Well, Ahsoka's in it, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. :D

I was kind of assuming they would have Bossk talking in a normal voice, but while battling Ahsoka she cuts out his tongue, rendering him speechless...thus "explaining" why he doesn't actually talk in ESB. :thumbsup:

Well these Clone Wars episodes have lured Karen Travi$$ back to the fold, so they're doing something right!!!

Really? I'm surprised she's not breathing fire after that awful Mandalore saga in the show.

Yep, I read it at TF.N on 4/1:
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Karen_Traviss_Returns_To_Star_Wars_130415.asp
First I wondered if it was an April Fool's Day joke but it's still there and appears legit. I used the $ signs in her name since I heard of her saltiness toward the show dismissing her prior works, so I assumed they gave her a good chunk of change to change her mind. lol

El Chuxter
04-05-2010, 09:25 PM
I think Bossk sounds like a flornbi on crack. My momma can do a better Bossk voice than that. However (and I'd recommend you all sit down for this), I think the animation finally looks passable. It took them two full seasons, but it doesn't look worse than a second grader's flip book anymore, and actually looks rather decent.

Isn't going to change my mind about following the show, but it's officially no longer something Lucas should be ashamed to slap his name on, visually at least.

I guess they wanted to make sure they invalidated another entire series, this time the Boba Fett young readers books. I really have to wonder if eventually they'll decide a cartoon can "override" the original trilogy....

JediTricks
04-06-2010, 04:49 AM
I was kind of assuming they would have Bossk talking in a normal voice, but while battling Ahsoka she cuts out his tongue, rendering him speechless...thus "explaining" why he doesn't actually talk in ESB. :thumbsup:Oh shut up, shut up, don't give Filoni any ideas! NOOOOOO! :p

Yep, I read it at TF.N on 4/1:
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Karen_Traviss_Returns_To_Star_Wars_130415.asp
First I wondered if it was an April Fool's Day joke but it's still there and appears legit. I used the $ signs in her name since I heard of her saltiness toward the show dismissing her prior works, so I assumed they gave her a good chunk of change to change her mind. lolIt is el fako, no other site on the face of the Earth or in low Earth orbit has that supposed Lucasfilm press release. They've admitted they worked on the fakery in their forums: http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/30850240/p1/
Personally, I think it's in bad taste to drag her through the mud on this the way they did.

I may have to change your username after you fell for such an obvious April Fools joke, you are not cool enough to wear the badge of the 'OneBee.

I think Bossk sounds like a flornbi on crack. My momma can do a better Bossk voice than that. I wasn't blown away by it, but I'm holding judgment. That trailer looked pretty good overall, but damn if there seems to be no way they can cram all that properly into 1 or even 2 episodes.

However (and I'd recommend you all sit down for this), I think the animation finally looks passable. It took them two full seasons, but it doesn't look worse than a second grader's flip book anymore, and actually looks rather decent.

Isn't going to change my mind about following the show, but it's officially no longer something Lucas should be ashamed to slap his name on, visually at least.

I guess they wanted to make sure they invalidated another entire series, this time the Boba Fett young readers books. I really have to wonder if eventually they'll decide a cartoon can "override" the original trilogy....I think you hold hate in your heart too easily for this series, like you just need something out there to hate on.

And yeah, Lucas is known for his discerning taste when it comes to putting his name on projects. Just look at the Cap Toys Jar Jar Binks candy tongue sucker. The man has NO SHAME AT ALL.

El Chuxter
04-06-2010, 11:11 AM
I don't hate it. I just don't like anything I've seen. Even when the previews have looked like there could be a decent story to an episode, it turns out to be either "The Adventures of Ahsoka" or have a mind-numbingly bad script. I'm just not wasting any more time with it.

Honestly, airing new episodes of this an hour after new episodes of Brave and the Bold just makes them seem so much weaker by comparison.

Ando
04-06-2010, 11:35 AM
And yeah, Lucas is known for his discerning taste when it comes to putting his name on projects. Just look at the Cap Toys Jar Jar Binks candy tongue sucker. The man has NO SHAME AT ALL.

That ranks right up there with the Harry Potter Nimbus 2000 Vibrating Broomstick Mattel released bck in 2001(?) as the most inappropriate toy EVER.

JediTricks
04-06-2010, 05:13 PM
I don't hate it. I just don't like anything I've seen. Even when the previews have looked like there could be a decent story to an episode, it turns out to be either "The Adventures of Ahsoka" or have a mind-numbingly bad script. I'm just not wasting any more time with it.

Honestly, airing new episodes of this an hour after new episodes of Brave and the Bold just makes them seem so much weaker by comparison.I guess I have the reverse feeling, I hate Brave & Bold every time I see it for similar reasons.

Have you watched Rookies (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rookies) or Ambush (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ambush)? How about Trespass (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Trespass)? Didn't you like the Ryloth stories (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Storm_Over_Ryloth)? I thought I remembered you saying you did. Did you catch Ahsoka's only good story in Brain Invaders (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Brain_Invaders)? And The Deserter (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Deserter) seems not so offensive to your stylings, I'd think.

That ranks right up there with the Harry Potter Nimbus 2000 Vibrating Broomstick Mattel released bck in 2001(?) as the most inappropriate toy EVER.Heh heh. The oddest part is it's not even remotely similar to Jar Jar's tongue design, it's grotesque.

Maradona
04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
I guess I have the reverse feeling, I hate Brave & Bold every time I see it for similar reasons.

I can't stand Bader's Batman voice. Kevin Conroy will ALWAYS be Batman for me. That said, I have grown to love Brave and Bold. The show is tons of fun.

El Chuxter
04-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Have you watched Rookies (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rookies) or Ambush (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ambush)? How about Trespass (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Trespass)? Didn't you like the Ryloth stories (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Storm_Over_Ryloth)? I thought I remembered you saying you did. Did you catch Ahsoka's only good story in Brain Invaders (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Brain_Invaders)? And The Deserter (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Deserter) seems not so offensive to your stylings, I'd think.

The only one of those I saw part of was "Ambush," and the animation was such a festering pool of dog snot that it turned me off to the series. It literally hurt my head to watch it. I couldn't pay too much attention to the story, since I was busy banging my head in frustration that people got paid to put that on TV for millions to watch, and there's a second-grader somewhere whose family can't afford food for him most of the time despite the sketches in the margins of his worksheets being immeasurably better than the look of that episode.

I can't stand Bader's Batman voice. Kevin Conroy will ALWAYS be Batman for me. That said, I have grown to love Brave and Bold. The show is tons of fun.
Conroy is Batman, but I do have to admit, it might sound kinda odd with him portraying a Batman who signs autographs for kids after performing at a charity function.

figrin bran
04-06-2010, 10:20 PM
I'll take an "Adventures of Ahsoka" episode over any Martini Swiller Kenobi ep any day.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-07-2010, 01:43 AM
Chux, Ambush was the first episode aired, but the eighth produced; of course, it came quite early in the series. I could look back at your initial comments, but I don't feel like it. :D I think you disliked the deep focus; so I guess you hate Citizen Kane, too. :p There's a lot of stupid battle droid humor in it that I can do without, the pacing is somewhat sluggish, and while I don't feel the animation is horrible in it, it's certainly not as bad as you suggest (with or without your inclination to hyperbole).

The episodes JT listed are some of my favorites, and even though you've sworn off the show several times, you may want to check those out. (I'd include Landing at Point Rain for the sheer scale of the awesomeness.) It might take some getting used to the style and feel of the show before you can appreciate its greatest episodes, but at this point, I doubt you'll want to do that.

JediTricks
04-07-2010, 05:34 AM
The only one of those I saw part of was "Ambush," and the animation was such a festering pool of dog snot that it turned me off to the series. It literally hurt my head to watch it. I couldn't pay too much attention to the story, since I was busy banging my head in frustration that people got paid to put that on TV for millions to watch, and there's a second-grader somewhere whose family can't afford food for him most of the time despite the sketches in the margins of his worksheets being immeasurably better than the look of that episode.Normally, I'd chalk this up to being subjective, but the amount of vitriol in your comments is downright ludicrously over the top. I just queued up scenes on SW.com, it looks FINE, it's not laggy or choppy or has uneven borders that cross through stuff like a video game. It's a little weightless, but it's nowhere near terrible. Your comments come off as arbitrary I think. It's like you need an enemy so you make an enemy. Maybe it's because you are an overly-loyal fan of Clone Samurai Wars Jack, but that shouldn't reflect upon this series in terms of art.

Conroy is Batman, but I do have to admit, it might sound kinda odd with him portraying a Batman who signs autographs for kids after performing at a charity function.Conroy is a great cartoon serious Batman (I lost my faith during Gotham Knight where the material got away from him, but he fully redeemed in Arkham Asylum). But there is only 1 man who deserves to have the not-serious Batman role, and he was stung when Tim Burton didn't ask him to reprise the role for the 1989 film.

Diedrich Bader is a talented guy, but he sounds whiny and dopey as Bats. He was so much better as Korgoth of Barbaria. Bader is actually somehow worse as Batman than Rino Romano, and he was the first actor to be awful as both Batman and Spider-man!

El Chuxter
04-07-2010, 09:04 AM
It was primarily the problems with the interaction between characters and background. Or, more accurately, the entire lack of said interaction. The way Battle Droids simply floated over and through the ground gave me something like motion sickness. I guess I have to repeat myself and not be a bit more tongue in cheek. ;)

And, yes, I do expect a lot more from the studio that brought us Star Wars, when they tell us repeatedly that they're upping the ante on animation. Pixar's first movie from ages ago still looks better than even the best Clone Wars animation.

Then again, why should I be disappointed? I believe they also said Revenge of the Sith would be a good movie. :)

Rocketboy
04-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Ambush was a horrible episode. And Rookies was insanely overrated, very mediocre.

I nearly gave up on the series until Destroy Malevolence, which was a good adventure with the main three (Anakin, Obi-Wan & Padme) and the Droids. Reminiscent of the classic trilogy.

Bombad Jedi and the Ryloth Trilogy were also pretty good. The rest were pretty hit & miss.

And Hostage Crisis also sucked, but looked great.

JediTricks
04-07-2010, 05:51 PM
"Cat & Mouse" was a lift from Hunt For Red October/Run Silent, Run Deep plus some Wrath of Khan thrown in for good measure; Bounty Hunters was Magnificent 7 all the way...c'mon, Dave...try some original story telling, rather than homage tales. Where are the "Trespass" & "Rookies" from last season?Chalk 1 more up for Jon. Today's press release came out and... they're riffing off Godzilla for the next 2 weeks: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=57&p2_articleid=2783
The beast's name is "Zillo", how unclever can you get?!? Next season it's just going to be movies circa 1935 through 1990, A through C.

It was primarily the problems with the interaction between characters and background. Or, more accurately, the entire lack of said interaction. The way Battle Droids simply floated over and through the ground gave me something like motion sickness. I guess I have to repeat myself and not be a bit more tongue in cheek. ;)A minor lack of weight to the characters and you get motion sickness? C'mon, enough with the hyperbole. Look at it with a mind clear of subjective thoughts and bitterness, then get back to me. The video is out there, show us an example of something you consider unacceptable from that episode worthy of the vitriol you've spewed.

And, yes, I do expect a lot more from the studio that brought us Star Wars, when they tell us repeatedly that they're upping the ante on animation. Pixar's first movie from ages ago still looks better than even the best Clone Wars animation.Toy Story, really? That movie cost $30 million in '95 dollars and had YEARS to develop, and it works largely because of simplistic textures, characters, depth of field, and lighting. Look at any of the humans in the film and it's not good. Compare the lighting and textures to Clone Wars and Toy Story's not even close in those departments. Clone Wars isn't brought to us by a studio, it's brought to us by Lucasfilm, an independent producer, it doesn't have Disney backing, it doesn't have Apple backing.

El Chuxter
04-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I'll take you up on your bet to re-watch Ambush and ignore the headaches. But it's not entirely fair to say that Pixar in the mid-1990s was a super powerhouse compared to Lucasfilm. Lucas has more money than God, and the company has over 30 years experience in breaking new ground in various forms of special effects. Look at how old Jurassic Park is now, and the CG effects are practically indistinguishable from those in an ILM film from this year. I can buy that they were going for a different look that they didn't have experience with, but why the major step backwards on the interaction between character and background?

And, really, you think the Toy Story humans look worse than those in Clone Wars? Aside from some stylistic differences, they're practically the same.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-07-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm still not sure on the character-on-background issue, as I think it's fine. Early on, they described the style as Genndy Tartakovsky characters on Ralph McQuarrie backgrounds, and you didn't like that and said as much both before and after seeing the show; however, even if those are the inspirations, then they definitely meet in the middle and work together quite well. It's not as simple as X+Y; those were just simple ways to describe it in the early days.

Lucasfilm Animation is a new and separate entity from what was used to make the films, so it can't really be judged in those terms. In the process of creating the show, they had to set it up and train the artists to work both in this style and in CGI overall. The progression in animation and quality and number of character models shows this. The show is not photorealistic, but it's not trying to be. It's also not quite comparable to feature films - those are one and done, while this is going week after week. After two seasons, there will have been over 17 hours of material produced for the series and film; to be able to sustain that sort of thing is not as easy as some people think.

JediTricks
04-07-2010, 09:57 PM
I'll take you up on your bet to re-watch Ambush and ignore the headaches. But it's not entirely fair to say that Pixar in the mid-1990s was a super powerhouse compared to Lucasfilm. Lucas has more money than God, and the company has over 30 years experience in breaking new ground in various forms of special effects. Look at how old Jurassic Park is now, and the CG effects are practically indistinguishable from those in an ILM film from this year. I can buy that they were going for a different look that they didn't have experience with, but why the major step backwards on the interaction between character and background?

And, really, you think the Toy Story humans look worse than those in Clone Wars? Aside from some stylistic differences, they're practically the same.It wasn't a bet, more of a challenge.

I wasn't saying they were a super powerhouse compared to Lucasfilm, I said they put $30 mil, years of time to put into 1 project, and they played to their strengths, i.e. telling a story with unnatural items and simple lighting and settings.

Also, this isn't ILM making The Clone Wars, this is a different division. Lucas sold off Pixar years before, so this is his new animation studio.

Jurassic Park cost $63 million in '93 dollars, I think only had 7 CG models which took over a year to develop, and produced just 6 minutes of CGI. And that was ILM basically concentrating all their efforts on 1 film at the time, not spread out on as many projects as they are now.

Yes, I think the Toy Story 1 human characters look worse, I double checked on Youtube to be sure since I didn't remember them so well. Talk about no weight or detail or accuracy to movement. And when they open their mouths, yikes. They're not really wearing clothes either, mostly it looks like they are colored bodies or intersecting solids.

I'm still not sure on the character-on-background issue, as I think it's fine. Early on, they described the style as Genndy Tartakovsky characters on Ralph McQuarrie backgrounds, and you didn't like that and said as much both before and after seeing the show; however, even if those are the inspirations, then they definitely meet in the middle and work together quite well. It's not as simple as X+Y; those were just simple ways to describe it in the early days.

Lucasfilm Animation is a new and separate entity from what was used to make the films, so it can't really be judged in those terms. In the process of creating the show, they had to set it up and train the artists to work both in this style and in CGI overall. The progression in animation and quality and number of character models shows this. The show is not photorealistic, but it's not trying to be. It's also not quite comparable to feature films - those are one and done, while this is going week after week. After two seasons, there will have been over 17 hours of material produced for the series and film; to be able to sustain that sort of thing is not as easy as some people think.The earliest episodes had issues I think with characters being "weightless", they bounced funny when they walked, they moved without as much regard to physics, and it did show a little. The scenery was a little 2-d in the first few episodes as well, like layers of a pop-up book, but even in Ambush it's not always the case, it just depends on the setting and the shot.

I think they have "photo real" at their command, any vehicle or most settings hit that mark or are close enough that it seems more like they've been "tooned down" to fit the character designs. Except for the torsos of the first season, I'd say the helmeted Clone Troopers are photo-real.

El Chuxter
04-07-2010, 10:14 PM
...I'd say the helmeted Clone Troopers are photo-real.

Or at least as photo-real as they are in the movies. :D (They are a bit shiny. And they had issues with the initial release of ROTS having the Morrison heads "float" a bit.)

2-1B
04-08-2010, 11:22 PM
It is el fako, no other site on the face of the Earth or in low Earth orbit has that supposed Lucasfilm press release. They've admitted they worked on the fakery in their forums: http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/30850240/p1/
Personally, I think it's in bad taste to drag her through the mud on this the way they did.

I may have to change your username after you fell for such an obvious April Fools joke, you are not cool enough to wear the badge of the 'OneBee.

Okay, 3 things:
1) Yes I was duped, no question, I'll pwn that shame. Apologies to Ms. Traviss for spelling it as Ms. Travi$$. :(
2) I actually don't think I should be ashamed for falling for that joke...in fact I should be praised for not following the EU close enough to know any better. I believe I am to be commended for not being part of that realm. ;)
3) Take care, Sir.

I liked that sucker, it even had "real feel" bumps on the tongue. :lipsrsealed:
I heard Chux bought a case of 'em...

JediTricks
04-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Or at least as photo-real as they are in the movies. :D (They are a bit shiny. And they had issues with the initial release of ROTS having the Morrison heads "float" a bit.)I don't know to what you refer. The ROTS Temuera Morrison shots are him in real armor, it's the only clone trooper armor they created.

I prefer the design of the CW armor to the AOTC design, the helmet of the AOTC design has this weird collar attached to the bottom of the helmet making it look even smaller than it already did, and it's so narrow that it doesn't seem like a head could be under there. The CW version is wider and lower.

Okay, 3 things:
1) Yes I was duped, no question, I'll pwn that shame. Apologies to Ms. Traviss for spelling it as Ms. Travi$$. :(
2) I actually don't think I should be ashamed for falling for that joke...in fact I should be praised for not following the EU close enough to know any better. I believe I am to be commended for not being part of that realm. ;)
3) Take care, Sir.Go shove some T-47s into a Wampa cave. :D

I liked that sucker, it even had "real feel" bumps on the tongue. :lipsrsealed:
I heard Chux bought a case of 'em...There are... no words... just... none.

El Chuxter
04-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Unfortunately, since the original, non-digital version was never released on DVD, I can't show you any footage. I definitely remember some heads floating in a shot, I think on Utapau but I'm not sure, of several clones; there was something really weird and unfinished going on there. It was my single biggest gripe about the visuals from the beginning.

Of course, if it actually was several shots of him in real armor, it could've been poor cropping or something that made him look like his head was detached.

JediTricks
04-09-2010, 01:48 AM
I believe some shots of Morrison were real armor, some were bluescreen and added later.

You're saying they PRINTED reels with that? I'm surprised, never heard about that. They'd be around if they were printed too.

El Chuxter
04-09-2010, 09:27 AM
You don't remember me b****ing about that five years ago?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-09-2010, 01:15 PM
I was under the impression that there was never any clone trooper armor built or worn in the films. On Utapau, specifically when Cody gives Obi-Wan his lightsaber back, yeah, there's some sort of mismatch between Cody's head and body, but it's not THAT bad (though we've all learned lately that slightly subpar CGI is prone to giving Chux epileptic seizures :p ). The film was shot in digital and shown that way in several theaters, being transferred to film for showing elsewhere, so there's no such thing as an "original non-digital version"; it's the only SW live-action film to remain pretty much identical on DVD as it was in the theaters, with no noticeable differences.

I don't remember you complaining about that specifically, but I have a feeling you're mis-remembering something.

El Chuxter
04-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I had a bad day with facts yesterday, but I remember this as clear as day. I actually talked a few people out of seeing it in the theater with that particular mess-up.

Okay, granted it would've been on the digital print that was transferred to film for non digital screens. And, in my mind, when you can pull off General Grievous, any mismatch of that sort that's actually noticeable is too much.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-09-2010, 02:48 PM
You should pop in the DVD and check out the scene again. It's a little off, but again, it's not THAT bad. (And I'm wondering which specific scene you're referring to.)

I can recall people remembering different things from seeing it in the theater, then later misremembering them or swearing they were different. I seem to remember JT or some other SSG staff member mentioning two different Darth Maul death scenes, and I thought Padmé said "I've been trained in self-defense, I can take care of myself" in the film, despite it actually only being on the Commtech chip, and I've heard other people say the same despite it never being in the film. Long story short, when it comes to small details like these, the memory can never truly be trusted.

El Chuxter
04-09-2010, 02:52 PM
No, but I'm pretty sure my e-mails from the next morning can be trusted better than my memory. ;) Trouble is, like I said, I can't check the DVD. It had some cleanup done from the theatrical version (as have all the Lucasfilm DVDs), and I do know this was never an issue on the DVD--I noticed it was fixed the first time I watched it.

I believe there actually were two different Maul death scenes, but never at the same theater, so it'd be pretty unlikely anyone actually saw both in the theater.

JediTricks
04-09-2010, 05:06 PM
You don't remember me b****ing about that five years ago?You make a lot of noise, it's hard to notice any sound through the static. ;)

I was under the impression that there was never any clone trooper armor built or worn in the films.I had read that there was some work where he was wearing armor, but I can't corroborate that anymore, and the only shot I've found is bluescreen holding a real helmet.

I can recall people remembering different things from seeing it in the theater, then later misremembering them or swearing they were different. I seem to remember JT or some other SSG staff member mentioning two different Darth Maul death scenes, and I thought Padmé said "I've been trained in self-defense, I can take care of myself" in the film, despite it actually only being on the Commtech chip, and I've heard other people say the same despite it never being in the film. Long story short, when it comes to small details like these, the memory can never truly be trusted.I wrote an article about the "daffy duck" Darth Maul ending after seeing Ep 1 3 times on opening day, apparently the one where he falls apart less was an early print used mainly for press early views but kept in the theater I was in, this was corroborated eventually. There were other variations between print and digital versions for Ep 2 and 3 as well that were documented. I don't remember that Padme line from anywhere though, it's in the script but I think the movie versions I saw (and I saw the early print, general print, and both digital projection versions) the line was cut.

El Chuxter
04-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Isn't tonight Zillo Beast, or whatever, part 1? I might watch it just to see if my opinion has changed. I have to warn you, though, I understand tonight's Brave and the Bold not only features Joe Chill in an approximate remake of the classic "Untold Legends of the Batman" comic series, but guest stars Adam West, Kevin Conroy, and Mark Hamill... and a cameo by none other than Louie the Lilac. Maybe I should wait a few days; even The Godfather might pale in comparison to that much awesomeness.

JediTricks
04-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Yes, tonight is Godzilla, Star Wars style. It wouldn't be the one I'd assume would work for you, but I could be totally wrong as I haven't seen it yet.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I wrote an article about the "daffy duck" Darth Maul ending after seeing Ep 1 3 times on opening day, apparently the one where he falls apart less was an early print used mainly for press early views but kept in the theater I was in, this was corroborated eventually. There were other variations between print and digital versions for Ep 2 and 3 as well that were documented. I don't remember that Padme line from anywhere though, it's in the script but I think the movie versions I saw (and I saw the early print, general print, and both digital projection versions) the line was cut.
I know the Padmé line wasn't actually in the film, but for some reason I thought it had been (perhaps in the time between its theatrical release and its release on VHS).

I saw both the digital and film showings of ROTS (five film, one digital), and they were identical, as far as I could tell. I know AOTC had differences between its regular release and IMAX/DVD, such as the "I know I'm better than this" exchange and Anakin holding Padmé's hand (not factoring in the several cut scenes), so who knows. Perhaps the difference Chux mentioned is indeed real, but I was just saying it could possibly be chalked up to faulty memory (or the fact that you hated ROTS the first time you saw it and could have been extra-critical of things like this).

Anyway, yeah, tonight's The Zillo Beast. I thought you also didn't like direct references to other movies, and this one is obviously a Godzilla homage, with Palpatine using an electron bomb on Malastare and waking up Zillo. I can only wonder if there'll be a Dug who wears an eyepatch and creates an Oxygen Destroyer. :D

El Chuxter
04-09-2010, 05:54 PM
It was actually one of the reasons I hated ROTS--I thought it was really bad form for the foremost visual effects studio to put so much work into some things (Grievous) and not others (the Clonetroopers, that eyesore opening battle). Sort of like in AOTC, except they weren't as obvious as Padme taking a bite of a fruit from a few inches away or Obi-Wan magically teleporting into the Geonosian mountainside.

El Chuxter
04-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Definitely wouldn't be fair to Clone Wars to watch it after "Chill of the Night." That episode was Music Meister good.

Maradona
04-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Definitely wouldn't be fair to Clone Wars to watch it after "Chill of the Night." That episode was Music Meister good.

YES! It was the Brave and Bold episode that most rivals the 90s series. In fact, given that Paul Dini wrote it, the episode could easily have fit into that show's continuity. The voices were extremely well done, particularly Mark Hamill, and using both Adam West and Julie Newmar was a nice touch.

JediTricks
04-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Anyway, yeah, tonight's The Zillo Beast. I thought you also didn't like direct references to other movies, and this one is obviously a Godzilla homage, with Palpatine using an electron bomb on Malastare and waking up Zillo. I can only wonder if there'll be a Dug who wears an eyepatch and creates an Oxygen Destroyer. :DI tell you what, I did NOT expect there to be maser tanks! That was the most overt part, well, after its roar anyway. That cracked me up.

I don't generally like their homages to other films, but this one worked a lot better than I expected to the point where I was enjoying it on that level as well as the SW level. When Palps talked about making a change to their plans, I knew it was going to be Coruscant and I loved the idea, it's an X-factor that has never been applied to SW that I know of.

It was actually one of the reasons I hated ROTS--I thought it was really bad form for the foremost visual effects studio to put so much work into some things (Grievous) and not others (the Clonetroopers, that eyesore opening battle). Sort of like in AOTC, except they weren't as obvious as Padme taking a bite of a fruit from a few inches away or Obi-Wan magically teleporting into the Geonosian mountainside.I didn't notice any standout problem effects in ROTS, and you know I'm a nitpicker.

Definitely wouldn't be fair to Clone Wars to watch it after "Chill of the Night." That episode was Music Meister good.I didn't see the Music Meister ep, but I watched this and found it slightly less stupid than the average episode of BB&B, but generally sub-par junk cartoon stuff. The art was still the same sloppy mess too, but what bothered me was really just how dumb the way this show's universe thinks. It thinks it's ok for Thomas Wayne to be the original 1930s-styled Batman and to even act like him, it thinks it's ok for Batman to be able to beat up every criminal sitting in 1 room at once until the script calls for them to rise up, it thinks it's reasonable to make Joe Chill an important character in being a foundation not just for Bats but for all the supervillains as well, and it thinks its reasonable for the villains to magically poke a hole in the roof only to lead to falling debris that lands on 1 person - and Bats just lets that happen because that's how the story demands it. That's cartoon junk, I don't care if Dini wrote it, I don't care if West got to say "old chum", I don't care if Keven Conroy got to play the Phantom Stranger, not when it's all twisted to cutesy crap writing that is dumbed down and switched up to make the story fit the setting better. All the fanboy gimmes in the world don't make this good in my book, it just serves to undermine the Batman universe. I don't always like Clone Wars, but it has more integrity for both its kid audience and Star Wars in general.

El Chuxter
04-10-2010, 03:36 AM
You do realize that, cheesy or not, it's a pretty close interpretation of a couple of Golden Age and Silver Age Batman stories, with the framework about Spectre's bet with the Phantom Stranger tying it all together, right? Very little about the episode was entirely original; the only major changes were that the mobsters from the original story were replaced with the major rogues and that Chill was killed by falling debris (he was an old guy who just got beat up by the likes of Solomon Grundy and Joker) rather than being torn limb from limb by the baddies when he stupidly blurted out he was responsible for there even being a Batman.

JediTricks
04-10-2010, 04:16 AM
Yes, I am aware of that, but that doesn't excuse Chill's change of motivation in killing Thomas Wayne, nor does it excuse Chill being an arms dealer for the main baddies. And I hope I don't need to tell you how incredibly stupid it was that Batman immediately knows where the guy is and what he's doing there and who else is going to be at this meeting the moment he learns his name.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Batman aside, I really loved The Zillo Beast episode. The animation (as its production order is season 2, episode 22, meaning the latest we've seen) was incredible, in terms of detail, lighting, and size of both Zillo and the armies (now THAT is a droid army). It was cool to see Dugs again, and I liked how their mounts had the same sort of inverted-limb thing going on. I've only seen the original Gojira, and this was a good homage to that story without being too close to it (see: Senate Spy). As I said, the scale was perhaps the most remarkable thing about this episode, but I loved the small details as well (mostly Anakin's arm fizzing when the bomb went off). And FINALLY some ARC-170s, I've only bought two from the show's toy line already and it took them this long to get it in the show. :p On that same note, I'd really love a red Y-wing, but the current one going on clearance makes me wonder if that will happen.

JediTricks
04-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Batman aside, I really loved The Zillo Beast episode. The animation (as its production order is season 2, episode 22, meaning the latest we've seen) was incredible, in terms of detail, lighting, and size of both Zillo and the armies (now THAT is a droid army). It was cool to see Dugs again, and I liked how their mounts had the same sort of inverted-limb thing going on. I've only seen the original Gojira, and this was a good homage to that story without being too close to it (see: Senate Spy). As I said, the scale was perhaps the most remarkable thing about this episode, but I loved the small details as well (mostly Anakin's arm fizzing when the bomb went off). And FINALLY some ARC-170s, I've only bought two from the show's toy line already and it took them this long to get it in the show. :p On that same note, I'd really love a red Y-wing, but the current one going on clearance makes me wonder if that will happen.Lucasfilm just sent an image out of a Japanese-style poster for the sequel, the whole thing is in Aurebesh. I just posted it in the news: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=57&p2_articleid=2790

I do agree, the armies were really scaled to the hilt for once, that LOOKED like a CIS battle force.

One of the pilots in the episode was named "Goji" and sported a Godzilla-styled helmet paintjob: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Goji
Apparently, his gunner was named "Rod" in reference to Rodan. I didn't notice his helmet at all, but they make reference on Wookieepedia.

Oddly, there was also a new trooper named "Hawkeye" to go with the existing "Trapper", confirming them as a reference to M*A*S*H.

JediTricks
04-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Translating the poster, the right side text reads:
The Zillo Beast escapes!
Zillo Beast Loose On Couscant!

The yellow text reads:
Will Chancellor
Palpatine Be Able To
Extract The
Beast's Secrets For
Military Gain?

The white text reads:
Can The Jedi
Save Millions Of
Innocents On
Coruscant And
Contain The
Beast?

The red text reads:
What Will Become Of This Ancient And Fearsome Creature?

Awesome!

I wish it breathed fire, it would have been over the top but I don't care, it would have been cool.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Oddly, there was also a new trooper named "Hawkeye" to go with the existing "Trapper", confirming them as a reference to M*A*S*H.Yeah, I thought that was kind of funny when they mentioned the two together. There was also a TPM reference when Palpatine asked if the Dugs signed the treaty, in much the same way Sidious asked if Queen Amidala had signed the treaty.

I was wondering if Anakin's history with Sebulba might be an issue for him in dealing with the Dugs, but it didn't appear to be a problem.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the translation. That's a pretty sweet poster.

In the commentary on the episode guide, Dave mentions Goji and Rod (but not Hawkeye and Trapper). He also mentions that the briefly-seen Tactical Droid in this episode has a symbol on his chest that looks very much like the Oxygen Destroyer, which is very cool.

El Chuxter
04-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Okay, Goji, Rod, Trapper, and Hawkeye--I must concede, that's pretty freakin' awesome.

JediTricks
04-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Sure thing. The translation I did it mainly because I already had the "ZILLO" on the side and felt it was worth going all the way with it. By the end, it had already started to sink in so I didn't need to go back to the key as much.

The full sized poster is 1440x1834, the grain and wear really show on it, someone put in some work.

I think it's funny that this episode's coolness fully overwhelmed the utter annoyingness of Anakin riding flying R2. :p

Check out the artwork on the not-a-maser-tank: http://www.starwars.com/meg/theclonewars/guide/episode218/bts01.jpg
That zapped Zillo cracks me up.

figrin bran
04-11-2010, 01:51 AM
I enjoyed this episode quite a bit!

Hasbro says that from here on out they won't be putting very many obscure background characters into the CW line but I don't see why they couldn't give us Goji, Rod, Trapper and Hawkeye!

JetsAndHeels
04-11-2010, 03:55 PM
I enjoyed Friday's episode, but I am basically counting the days until Boba Fett arrives.

JediTricks
04-11-2010, 04:26 PM
I enjoyed this episode quite a bit!

Hasbro says that from here on out they won't be putting very many obscure background characters into the CW line but I don't see why they couldn't give us Goji, Rod, Trapper and Hawkeye!I don't think their answer was referring to troopers, more to stuff like Whorm Loathsom. I would hope that they'd make Hawkeye & Trapper a 2-pack, and maybe they can make a new officer named Ferretface. ;)

El Chuxter
04-11-2010, 05:45 PM
There should be a female Clonetrooper (don't ask--I've not thought that far ahead) named Hotlips.

JediTricks
04-11-2010, 10:27 PM
There should be a female Clonetrooper (don't ask--I've not thought that far ahead) named Hotlips.
No, Hotlips should be a Polis Massan since they're medics and they have no lips. :p

I doubt they're going to have BJ Hunnicutt as a clone. ;) But maybe "Winchester", it's got the rifle connotation, but they'd have to make him a smug bastage. Klinger as a drag-wearing clone? I smell next year's April Fools gag. :D (Clone helmet on Ventress body)

El Chuxter
04-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Oh, hayle, if they have a crossdressing Clonetrooper called Klinger, I will take back every last negative thing I've ever said about The Clone Wars and become its biggest fan.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-12-2010, 12:00 AM
They better have one called Radar as well then.

JediTricks
04-12-2010, 04:23 AM
I shudder to think what will happen to Col Blake. His Star Destroyer will be shot down over the moons of Endor.

El Chuxter
04-12-2010, 03:10 PM
I think perhaps Captain Frassk's father should show up in an episode. That would be bloody awesome. Maybe he could be stationed on a Republic Star Destroyer with Admiral Slander (who would be a corporal at this point).

JediTricks
04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
God, how much would your head implode if they actually included the cruisemissile trooper on this show?

El Chuxter
04-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Oh, JT, a part of me would be 'ploding, but it wouldn't be an implosion, and it wouldn't be my head. :beard:

In case you're wondering, it would be my left big toe exploding.

JediTricks
04-12-2010, 08:49 PM
I will let Dave Filoni know come July, I'm sure he will appreciate a nice bargain like that. "1 cruisemissile trooper in exchange for 1 fanboy toe destruction." Yeah, has a nice ring to it.

El Chuxter
04-12-2010, 09:11 PM
All kidding aside, the vehicle actually seems like it would be a practical asset to the Empire. Or Republic. I just don't think it's been around that long. (Then again, the AT-AT is either brand spanking new in ESB, or was old hat during the Clone Wars, depending on what source you believe.)

Bel-Cam Jos
04-12-2010, 10:01 PM
I thought it was a decent episode, showing some of the seriousness of war deaths, the machinations of political leaders, and a cool explosion (sounds, looks). Although I was having flashbacks of The Pit, from Marvel Comics' mid-80s New Universe "success."

JediTricks
04-13-2010, 06:31 PM
All kidding aside, the vehicle actually seems like it would be a practical asset to the Empire. Or Republic. I just don't think it's been around that long. (Then again, the AT-AT is either brand spanking new in ESB, or was old hat during the Clone Wars, depending on what source you believe.)The cruisemissile vehicle seems like a great way to waste your resources. It's remarkably unsafe, lightly armed and armored, and its main job seems to be punching at high speed into the hulls of enemy capital ships. Even if you have a LOT of conscripts or clones to use as cannon fodder, that's going to be a considerable amount of resources wasted teaching them how to fly this instant deathtrap, seeing as there's virtually no chance they'll be coming back from their first missions.

So what are its positive attributes? Ultra low sensor profile, light weight so it's probably agile, variable wing configuration for alternate flight capabilities (probably atmospheric), um... pointy?

I can see it being the kind of vehicle used against the CIS though, it's similar in concept to a Vulture Droid and small enough to be carried in great numbers by Republic Venator-class ships.

El Chuxter
04-13-2010, 08:24 PM
The profile on the box actually says it's an atmospheric craft. Which makes sense: the TIEs can't enter the atmosphere (even if it's been shown, their engines probably would be useless), so this would be the equivalent "disposable" for missions requiring sending light craft from a Star Destroyer to stage a hit-and-run attack on a site on the ground.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-13-2010, 09:38 PM
The Zillo beast poster is available as a lithograph print at StarWarsShop.com (http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?topcatID=1300264;product_id=1320066). They're numbered to 200, but methinks I may have to get one.

EDIT: I got one. :D

JediTricks
04-14-2010, 12:11 AM
The profile on the box actually says it's an atmospheric craft. Which makes sense: the TIEs can't enter the atmosphere (even if it's been shown, their engines probably would be useless), so this would be the equivalent "disposable" for missions requiring sending light craft from a Star Destroyer to stage a hit-and-run attack on a site on the ground.Ah, ok. I don't have the box anymore so I haven't seen the bio in a while.

As an atmospheric, it seems even less survivable, but since the SW universe ignores thermodynamics, I guess we will too. I don't really see what good it would be atmos though, it's basically just useful for strafing runs straight on and maybe dogfighting, although pilot visibility is very poor. It has those 2 missiles, but getting in and out of an atmosphere still takes time even without worrying about burning up (which only seems to affect probe droids :p), so it seems like those aren't it what it's meant to deliver.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-14-2010, 12:18 AM
I had to battle a lot of TIE Fighters near the surface in Rogue Squadron.

JediTricks
04-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Yeah, and I had to shoot TIE Fighter asterisk-shaped laser blasts before they slowly hit my X-wing's shields in Star Wars Arcade. :p

El Chuxter
04-14-2010, 01:31 AM
I sorta got the impression from the writeup (which really was the only info on it until Lucasfilm graciously bowed to fan pressure with the backstory of the 417th CMT Squadron) that they were fired, missile-style, at high speed, then unfolded, unloaded their rockets and lasers (they do have a couple of laser cannons) to soften up a target for ground troops, then got the hell out of there, presumably to go back to their home Star Destroyer so the crew could have omelettes. In the proper French style, of course.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-17-2010, 12:45 AM
Damn, that was another awesome episode! There were quite a few great character moments, particularly with the droids. I would have loved some more carnage but what was in there was totally badass. I also loved the twist at the end, so hopefully there will be more Zillo action in the future. This was one of my favorite episodes in a while.

Rocketboy
04-17-2010, 01:21 AM
This episode was 50/50 in terms of animation. I think they put 95% of the effort into making the Zillo beast look great and coasted by on the character animation.

The Zillo stuff looked amazing, but the character stuff was awful, especially the mouths. Also, the character movement was awkward and they didn't look like they had any weight to them when the walked or ran. It was like early in the 1st season.

The more I see of Palpatine, the more I hate the character model - it's just awful, as is the way he floats across the ground.

Maerj2000
04-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Damn, that was another awesome episode! There were quite a few great character moments, particularly with the droids. I would have loved some more carnage but what was in there was totally badass. I also loved the twist at the end, so hopefully there will be more Zillo action in the future. This was one of my favorite episodes in a while.

With Palpy cloning it at the end, I think we'll be seeing more of the Zillo. I loved this one as well, a SW/Godzilla crossover was a great idea. I ordered one of those posters as well.

It would be cool to see Hasbro put out a 'Mega Monster' series of figures. Kinda like the old Shogun Warrior series from the 70's but make it mostly big monsters all around 24 inches tall. They could do the Zillo beast, the Sando Aqua Monster fropm Ep 1, the original Godzilla, Godzilla Final Wars version, King Kong, re-release the Cloverfield monster, the creature from the Host, the Kraken from Clash of the Titans, the really big bug from Starship Troopers, etc. Kids always love giant monsters and sometimes their parents do as well as long as the price wouldn't get over $59.99.

JediTricks
04-17-2010, 04:47 PM
I didn't care for this episode, it had none of the charm of the predecessor. Palpatine's motivations don't make sense and are careless for no reason. The Zillo indeed had no weight to his movements, and in too many "on the loose" shots he really didn't seem as big as he needed to, nor did the damage he inflicted feel that significant. The idea of Zillo tracking down Palps seemed incredibly forced too. And the Jedi felt really tacked on here, Yoda's idea of help was to point out the obvious and then flip around pointlessly with his lightsaber rather than trying to commune via the Force with the creature. Mace's conversation has become a new character all to himself, and doesn't really fit with a Jedi Master, he seems to constantly undermine and second-guess everything but lets it all happen without taking action. What was the point of all the tanks and AT-TEs surrounding the Zillo lab if when he breaks out they just sit there doing nothing?!?

I enjoyed 1 moment: after 3PO fell and was unharmed (which itself was a WTF), the Zillo comes charging behind him and he runs away saying something Threepioesque while waving his arms in fear, that cracked me up to no end.

When we got closeups of Zillo's face, the work there was pretty good. I think there was one shot from street level where we saw his mass as well, that worked. But the rest seemed pretty small, and without breathing fire, he's kind of a runt among those Coruscant buildings.

I also agree that the Palpatine animation model is starting to really grate on my nerves for several reasons, including motion.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Palpy is looking like if Tim Burton directed an episode of the Simpsons, with Burns in it, to me. Or Dracula from the Oldman/Keano/Ryder film.

Threepio's hands-up run was funny, and I thought his fall was too fictional to believe, as well.

I was hoping that when Yoda and Aayla were distracting the beast, that dominate any conversation, Yoda would, and that she wouldn't wreck it with her "Twi'lek accent." Disappointed, I was.

I know why in the "real world," and I suppose I know why from a cost perspective, but why when they're home on Coruscant, do the Jedi not remove their armor?

It'll be interesting to see how exactly Boba fits into the last episodes (not just a clone "boy" gone wild, I hope), and if they'll bring him back for next season.

figrin bran
04-17-2010, 09:59 PM
And the Jedi felt really tacked on here, Yoda's idea of help was to point out the obvious and then flip around pointlessly with his lightsaber rather than trying to commune via the Force with the creature.

I thought about this angle as well. First off, that was ridiculous that Yoda and Aayla were just running back and forth on the beast. Second, what happened to the Yoda from "Ambush" that meditated and then used the enemy's aggression against them?

I never thought I'd hear Palpy utter the "I have a bad feeling" line.

JediTricks
04-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Lucas' law, every speaking role character must now say it in one medium or another. ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
04-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Then I expect, after a series of R2's beeps, for Anakin to say, "yeah, I have a bad feeling about this too, R2."

Did anybody notice Anakin's "What the heck is that?" line from the first Zillo beast episode? Not only does the SW universe have sitting ducks, but now child-friendly hell words, too? :confused:

Maerj2000
04-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Did anybody notice Anakin's "What the heck is that?" line from the first Zillo beast episode? Not only does the SW universe have sitting ducks, but now child-friendly hell words, too? :confused:

There's also a ship called the 'Millenium Falcon' so there must be falcons in the SW universe. There were snakes in lizards on Dagobah. Uncle Owen referred to Old Ben as a 'crazy old Wizard.' Little 'Earth terms' do pop up now and then.

I always looked at things like that is that no one there is actually speaking English, so some things are being translated for our benefit. So for the sitting ducks line, I don't think that there are ducks in the SW universe but it was the easiest way to get the point across.

LTBasker
04-18-2010, 12:18 PM
I believe Bel-Cam's issue was with "heck," not the ducks.

I saw a preview for the huge beast episode on my DVRed Batman: Brave and the Bold episode, and the line with someone being concerned about bringing the beast to Coruscant stuck out to me. I'm curious if there was actual reason given as to why it had to be Coruscant, instead of making use of the fact that they have vast amounts of planets to travel to, and could probably just plop the sucker on an uninhabited planet and guard from orbit?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-18-2010, 03:43 PM
A clone trooper said "heck" way back in Rookies. He also said "hell," which was dubbed over as "heck" for later airings.

LTBasker, they wanted to study the beast in a controlled environment, so they took it to a lab on Coruscant, which was, obviously, a bad decision.

El Chuxter
04-18-2010, 04:03 PM
I saw two Clonetroopers combing the desert in one episode, and one of them said, "We ain't found &*$%!"

JediTricks
04-18-2010, 04:36 PM
I believe Bel-Cam's issue was with "heck," not the ducks.

I saw a preview for the huge beast episode on my DVRed Batman: Brave and the Bold episode, and the line with someone being concerned about bringing the beast to Coruscant stuck out to me. I'm curious if there was actual reason given as to why it had to be Coruscant, instead of making use of the fact that they have vast amounts of planets to travel to, and could probably just plop the sucker on an uninhabited planet and guard from orbit?It wouldn't be a Godzilla story if they took him to New Zealand to wreak havoc. Nobody is interested in a story where a giant dangerous monster breaks loose and walks around grassy mountains slightly annoying four people. :p

Bosskman
04-18-2010, 07:04 PM
I saw this first Boba Fett Episode on YouTube. It was pretty good. I won't post spoilers but not much at all from Bossk so far and aurra is a real &!^(#.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Because of Panaka's line, I read somewhere that Naboo has ducks (but do they really sit?).

Yes, my question was about "heck." I understand that Lucas borrows quite a lot, but they've usually created their own slang words. It's not big deal, just an observation.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-19-2010, 01:16 AM
As for ducks, there are some that fly away when the bongo surfaces. Or some kind of bird. Whatever.

I know they use terms like "nerf-herder" and "wizard" in the films, but I'm really not a fan of when the fake-slang goes too far, like "kriffing" or that sort of EU nonsense. I don't find "heck" to be an issue whatsoever, though.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-19-2010, 02:01 AM
Here's your duck (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Duck).

JediTricks
04-19-2010, 04:06 PM
"Heck" just sounds like a cop-out. The word "hell" appears in ANH and ESB without fanfare, it just *is*, so to tame it down is to acknowledge real-world issues of polite society niceties which takes you out of the moment. If that's how they want to play it, better to not use "heck" or "hell", just let the acting carry the message.

It's like when a Neimoidian says "are you brain dead?!?" Nobody in Star Wars talks like that, nobody uses modern American colloquialisms in that galaxy so it stands out like a sore thumb.

Obi-Wan also mentions a dog (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dog) in the ANH novelization. Later, 3PO's conscripted body with a battle droid head uses the term in AOTC when it says "die, Jedi dogs!" (That would be production-later, I guess.)

Maerj2000
04-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Well heck, now the Taco Bell dog and Colonel Sanders are part of the SW galaxy!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Defeat_the_Dark_Side#The_Chihuahua

Its really weird when Earth things show up in the saga but on the other hand people are there. There are deserts, forests, etc. I think what makes the animal thing weird is that there are little mentions here and there, like dogs, ducks, falcons, etc, but you really don't see any of them there. You see plenty of alien animals but very few earth animals. Now, thanks to the wookiepedia link I do see that there were indeed ducks in ep 1 and I remember seeing the snakes and lizards in ESB and possibly a rat in Jabba's dungeon. You can see the back of what appears to be a lion statue in the background of the Naboo palace. I guess we're to assume that some animals are universal?

Bosskman
04-19-2010, 06:29 PM
There is absolutely no logic whatsoever in the arguments made against dogs, ducks, horses or anything else in the "starwars universe".

First of all, (yes I know it's fiction)it is the SAME universe as ours. It says so right in the opening text of ANH. "A long time ago in a galaxy far,far away..." sets it in relation to our own time and galaxy.
Second of all, arguments made against so called "earth talk" in the expression used are not really valid either. Everbody speaks ENGLISH with few exceptions. This is an "Earth" language. I know the books call it "basic" but it's english. All its words have are firmly rooted right here on Earth. It's no much more of a stretch to say "duck" than, for example, "palace" (which derives from "Palatine", one of the sevens hills of ROME), which last time I checked nobody had a problem with that.

Thirdly, to say because we don't see ducks or dogs or other earth creatures (besides humans that is), doen't mean they're not there. That's like saying elephants and star nosed moles don't exist in the "Die Hard" uniserse because we never saw any elephants or star nosed moles in the Die Hard movies.