PDA

View Full Version : First look at the new Clone Wars 'toon

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

El Chuxter
02-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Not much, but I saw this on starwars.com:

http://www.starwars.com/whatsnew/img/content/20070212_bg.jpg

Looks like it's coming in '08 (a year later than initially reported?) and Yoda, at least, is based on the Tartakovsky design.

JEDIpartner
02-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Yeah... they used that on some signwork at Toy Fair as well. At least they aren't trying to render everything in a way that makes it look TOO realistic.

bigbarada
02-13-2007, 02:20 PM
I love it.:love:

I'm a big fan of stylized CG animation. I'm not all that impressed with "photorealism" in CG, because once you achieve "reality," what do you do next?

El Chuxter
02-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Oh, um, I just realized I put this in the wrong "TV" forum.

Can someone with the proper jurisdiction move this thread and delete this post?

JimJamBonds
02-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Ehh I don't really like it.

figrin bran
02-14-2007, 11:55 AM
awesome! i was afraid they wouldn't keep the CW animated designs from the previous series.

JediTricks
02-15-2007, 12:16 AM
I don't care for the realism shading on top of Genndy's designs, if it's not Genndy directing/producing it, they should do their own thing.

El Chuxter
02-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Me, I think Genndy should be directing them. The guy's done better with SW recently than Lucas, so why not just hand it over to him? :)

Jargo
02-15-2007, 12:09 PM
I hate bendy broflovski's style. It's like 1950's minimalist avant garde cartoons with the edges smoothed.

I'd like to see what other artists/directors would have done. Like Jhonen Vasquez or John Lasseter. Maybe even Tim Burton.

Lucas Marangon who drew the Tag and Bink stories for Dark Horse comics is also one of my favourite contenders. Style wise.

2-1B
02-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Genndy is terrible and should be blacklisted from Star Wars.

I was hoping Yoda would be based on the TPM design.

El Chuxter
02-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Oh, Caesar, I like you, but now that you've said that, I wish I could send you and your annoying sister Deedee into a dystopian future where Aku is law. lol

Qui-Long Gone
02-15-2007, 11:56 PM
I don't care for the realism shading on top of Genndy's designs, if it's not Genndy directing/producing it, they should do their own thing.

What happened to the old days when people used to use paper and pencil to animate cartoons? Enough with the CG cartoons people! Besides, if you're not Pixar, you shouldn't be doing computer animation.....Shrek being the only exception....

Caesar you will not enjoy Aku land......

El Chuxter
02-16-2007, 12:02 AM
What happened to the old days when people used to use paper and pencil to animate cartoons? Enough with the CG cartoons people! Besides, if you're not Pixar, you shouldn't be doing computer animation.....Shrek being the only exception....

John Lasseter, head of Pixar and now head of Disney Animation, officially announced last week what he'd said informally since taking this new position several months ago: Disney's 2D feature animation department will be restored! :D

Sadly, this probably comes a bit too late for the geniuses who were fired under the previous management and started their own studio a year or so ago. :(

Of course, Lasseter is buddies with Hayao Miyazaki, and Disney has the US rights to all new Studio Ghibli films, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's some true collaboration there in the future. He also scrapped the in-production Toy Story 3 (which Disney started after the initial break with Pixar), saying that there would be a Toy Story 3, it wouldn't be the one Disney started, and it would be produced by Pixar.

I really, really hope this means there'll be an Incredibles 2 with Pixar and Brad Bird at the helm. And I would not at all mind if some sort of agreement with Tim Burton were to be worked out so there could be a proper NMBC 2 (possibly based on the epilogue from the soundtrack).

Qui-Long Gone
02-16-2007, 12:06 AM
If anyone can save 2D animation, it's Lasseter....I can't take watching Cinderella 3 on video with my 5 year old daughter anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :yes: :cry: :( :sad: :tired: :tired:

El Chuxter
02-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Yeah, Disney made a huge mistake thinking it was the CG and not the quality of the movie that made Pixar's films so popular. They canned all their feature film animators, and kept the TV animation folks (basically the B-Team) to keep churning out those godawful sequels. (I once saw about two minutes of Atlantis II, and, man, it was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. I wanted to watch Mac & Me afterward to clear it out of my mind.)

Sad, because they really some some brilliant 2D films in the final few years: Lilo & Stitch, Atlantis, The Emperor's New Groove... not sure exactly who worked on Dinosaur, since it's sort of a different animal altogether. But those four, man, all easily in the Top 10 Disney 'toons of all time.

BTW, Tartakovsky moved on to CG. I'm not sure what he's doing at the moment, but I saw him at a Q&A panel following the premiere of Clone Wars Volume II. He regretted leaving 2D, but said there was basically no work in 2D at the moment, since all the studios were embracing 3D. But he wanted to come back to 2D as soon as he could, and to also finish Samurai Jack when he had the chance (and knew how to end it). Not sure how the recent death of Mako (the voice of Aku) will affect that, though. :(

plasticfetish
02-16-2007, 12:20 AM
John Lasseter, head of Pixar and now head of Disney Animation, officially announced last week what he'd said informally since taking this new position several months ago: Disney's 2D feature animation department will be restored!Which is good, because things have been a little slow for those animation factories in Korea.

-----

I'll wait to see more than just the top of Yoda's head before I make a decision about the new series. :neutral:

Blue2th
02-16-2007, 12:37 AM
I'll wait to see more than just the top of Yoda's head before I make a decision about the new series. :neutral:
I agree. It's hard to judge the style of animation we will see from just this shot of Yoda. Though just this picture of his head, the style already appeals to me. I for one wouldn't want it too realistic, or we might as well be watching the CG characters in the movies. I also wouldn't want it in the same style as Roughnecks or the GI Joe series or any of the Pixar movies. I wouldn't mind it being a little derivative of the cartoon Clone Wars, but some of the angular 2D head shapes just wouldn't work here. I'm sure they'll come up with something cool.

Rocketboy
02-16-2007, 01:13 AM
With my interest in Star Wars at an all-time low right now, and the fact that I thought Clone Wars Season/Volume 2 sucked hard, I really don't give a carp.

2-1B
02-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Oh, Caesar, I like you, but now that you've said that, I wish I could send you and your annoying sister Deedee into a dystopian future where Aku is law. lol

Said what, the part about Uncle Gundy or TPM Yoda ? lol

WTF is Aku Land ? :confusion:

Mako was The Balls in Conan the Destroyer, I'll give him love for that. :)

JediTricks
02-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Me, I think Genndy should be directing them. The guy's done better with SW recently than Lucas, so why not just hand it over to him? :)I believe it's because either Lucas or he didn't want to, and Genndy is now directing a sequel to The Dark Crystal for a new arm of Lucasfilm actually.

I hate bendy broflovski's style. It's like 1950's minimalist avant garde cartoons with the edges smoothed. It's an homage to Hanna-Barbara, I believe, and while it gets played out quickly, I think it took a real creative genius like Genndy to take something so simple and make Samurai Jack work, which is what convinced Lucas to do Clone Wars at all.

I was hoping Yoda would be based on the TPM design.Crappy puppet or CGI TPM-special edition version?

What happened to the old days when people used to use paper and pencil to animate cartoons? Enough with the CG cartoons people! Besides, if you're not Pixar, you shouldn't be doing computer animation.....Shrek being the only exception....CG can be cheaper and helmed more easily than traditional cel-animation, even less time-consuming, though the high-end ones are often anything but.

And as for Pixar, well, Pixar started as an arm of Lucasfilm before Steve Jobs bought it from Lucas, so they have some claim to it. ;)

(watch this, I'm going to make Chux's head explode)

I really, really hope this means there'll be an Incredibles 2 with Pixar and Brad Bird at the helm. I think The Incredibles was ridiculously overrated, uncreative drivel that was the least Pixar-like film in their stable. The writing was lacking and telegraphed nearly every move, it borrowed too heavily from its comic book and James Bond sources, and it's just not all that funny either. Plus, it ran WAY too long. Coming off of the far more creative and unique Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo, The Incredibles was the wrong fork in the road for Pixar to take. It's an alright film but from Pixar and Disney's A-Grade material, that means so much less.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-17-2007, 02:51 PM
I don't mind the 3D CG style stuff, but I suppose I guess it depends on how it is done. I didn't really care for the Clone Wars style of animation. I also thought some of the action was over the top, such as the way Mace was a one man wrecking crew in that one episode. Anakin did something similar as well, and Durge was kind of like the Terminator or something that wouldn't die. I guess I would prefer more realistic action more than I would prefer realistic looking characters, so in that sense it won't matter to me if it is 2D or 3D. If they could make it like one of the better video games, than that would be all right.

jjreason
02-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, I don't collect the animated figures - so maybe 2008 will finally be the year that I don't have to buy many SW figures and can actually save some money.

Yoda doesn't look too bad though, I'll watch the shows for sure.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-17-2007, 10:23 PM
I collected the Clone Wars figures, but not the animated style series of figures. They'd have to look better than those for me to buy any done in an animated style.

Qui-Long Gone
02-17-2007, 11:06 PM
You have to admit that not only was Grevious a better character (in terms of not dying like a chump) in the animated version, but better designed too...

figrin bran
02-17-2007, 11:15 PM
You have to admit that not only was Grevious a better character (in terms of not dying like a chump) in the animated version, but better designed too...

same goes for Saesee Tinn and Kit Fisto

Qui-Long Gone
02-17-2007, 11:17 PM
True, let's be honest, a lot of characters were better designed and had better story arcs in the CW series than the films....Shaak Ti also had a great arc in the 2nd series....too bad she didn't get her due in ROTS.....

Blue2th
02-18-2007, 03:00 PM
.....and just think, all these characters will be coming back in the new CW series. I hope there is more character development of these Jedi that got so easily demised in ROTS. I can't wait.

JediTricks
02-18-2007, 10:02 PM
I also thought some of the action was over the top, such as the way Mace was a one man wrecking crew in that one episode. Anakin did something similar as well, and Durge was kind of like the Terminator or something that wouldn't die. I guess I would prefer more realistic action more than I would prefer realistic looking characters, so in that sense it won't matter to me if it is 2D or 3D. I definitely agree, Genndy turned up the Force powers to 11 on the cartoon, Mace lept further than Superman could too, it made Jedi way too invincible to then picture them in peril.

You have to admit that not only was Grevious a better character (in terms of not dying like a chump) in the animated version, but better designed too...Grievous also was a better villain in his actions there, plus his fighting style was better and more interesting.

True, let's be honest, a lot of characters were better designed and had better story arcs in the CW series than the films....Shaak Ti also had a great arc in the 2nd series....too bad she didn't get her due in ROTS.....That's a good point, the only reason I bought the ROTS Shaak-Ti figure was because of her turn in CW.

2-1B
02-18-2007, 11:17 PM
I definitely agree, Genndy turned up the Force powers to 11 on the cartoon

Why not make 10 the most powerful? :confused:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-18-2007, 11:58 PM
10 is the most powerful, but we are working in hexadecimal. He just wrote 11 because you might have been confused if he said it was turned up to B.

El Chuxter
02-19-2007, 12:19 AM

Uh, this Force power goes to eleven.

2-1B
02-19-2007, 04:10 PM

Plus it still has the ol' tagger on it.

Wahhnaaanaaaanaaanaaahhhhh

Qui-Long Gone
02-20-2007, 09:59 PM

I just spontaneously combusted laughing....

2-1B
02-20-2007, 10:15 PM
So your post was made by a little green globule ? :confused:

Qui-Long Gone
02-21-2007, 07:35 PM
No a midget dancing around an 18" model of Stonehenge...

JediTricks
02-21-2007, 07:39 PM
No a midget dancing around an 18" model of Stonehenge...
...also known as "Saturday Night" for Slicker's mom.

Slicker's mom = Rob Reiner?

Qui-Long Gone
02-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Why are you being so mean to Rob Reiner?

Tycho
03-02-2007, 02:17 AM
Rebelscum gave us some dates:

2008 for the Clone Wars CGI series.

2009 for the live-action series.

figrin bran
03-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Rebelscum gave us some dates:

2008 for the Clone Wars CGI series.

2009 for the live-action series.

here's a pic of that poster that shows this info. i remember seeing pics of it in some of the toyfair galleries.

http://www.rebelscum.com/TF2007/SWtimeline.jpg

DarkArtist
03-03-2007, 12:37 PM
It's still to early for me to judge. will have to revisit this once we get some more pics or even a video preview. while I'm not a huge fan of 3D computer shows this still has a possibilty. I just hope they make the figures and vehicles in the current design of the TAC or Saga and not revert back to the Clone Wars Cartoon stuff. While the product was cool, I would have rather seen some of the figures re-done into the regular line.

dxdave
03-21-2007, 09:56 AM
It's still to early for me to judge. will have to revisit this once we get some more pics or even a video preview. while I'm not a huge fan of 3D computer shows this still has a possibilty. I just hope they make the figures and vehicles in the current design of the TAC or Saga and not revert back to the Clone Wars Cartoon stuff. While the product was cool, I would have rather seen some of the figures re-done into the regular line.

Yes....what he said....totally concur...

Blue2th
03-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Hasbro in an earlier Q&A I do believe, said they would not be returning to an animated style if they did any more Clone Wars figures, but rather they would do them in the regular Star Wars 3.75 action figure style.

Darth Cruel
04-07-2007, 01:49 AM
Hey, does anyone think Boba Fett will be in the live action series? It is hard to tell by that picture.

JediTricks
04-10-2007, 03:54 PM
At this point, I doubt even Lucas really knows what's going on there. But I've noticed that Lucas finally gets how liked the Fett man is, so I bet he will utilize him.

El Chuxter
04-10-2007, 04:03 PM
You mean "over-utilize" him, right?

Tycho
04-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Boba Fett is that guy with the T-visor helmet and the rocket on his backpack, right?

Rocketboy
04-10-2007, 05:53 PM
No, that was Jango, n00b.

2-1B
04-10-2007, 11:59 PM
No, Jango is the guy who changed his name to Mr.DaddyPants. Who are you calling a noob? :rolleyes:

CaptainSolo1138
04-11-2007, 07:30 AM
You mean "over-utilize" him, right?Boba has Adamantium claws?

JediTricks
04-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Boba has Adamantium claws?
Niiiice! :D

Rocketboy
05-18-2007, 09:27 PM
starwars.com (http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/news20070517b.html)

First Look: The Clone Wars Celebration IV Poster

Next week's biggest Star Wars party ever, Celebration IV, not only commemorates the past 30 years of the saga, but looks forward into the exciting future of Star Wars. Fans at the event will finally get a behind the scenes look at the forthcoming CG-animated television series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, produced by Lucasfilm Animation.

figrin bran
05-19-2007, 01:39 AM
i loved the previous CW animated series so just about anything will pale by comparison.

as with most CGI endeavors, non humans look better than humans - that character in the middle is a Togruta (Shaak Ti's species) padawan named Asoka, as i've read elsewhere.

even though hasbro has stated they wouldn't do animated figures, i have a feeling they'll do sigma 6 sort of figures for this show.

Rocketboy
05-19-2007, 02:36 AM
I wasn't too impressed.
Anakin looks like a chick and why does Obi-Wan have to keep wearing that stupid armor?

Tycho
05-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Obi-Wan looks cool in that armor. It improves the chances that we'll get a regular line figure of him dressed in this manner.

Nevermind the fact that Jedi don't need armor. It's just a fashion excuse for the show unless they present a legitimate need for him to use it. Disguise wouldn't apply well when he's also got on a combo of Jedi robes. Besides, we already saw Han & Luke do this.

But I have an open mind about it. And it does look cool.

2-1B
05-19-2007, 01:27 PM
I wasn't too impressed.
Anakin looks like a chick and why does Obi-Wan have to keep wearing that stupid armor?

Thank you.

El Chuxter
05-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Hmmmm. Unlike the first Yoda image, which appeared to be based on Tartakovsky's designs, this doesn't appear to be too impressive. :(

And Mace has never worn Clonetrooper armor before. Take a look at his arms and you'll see what I mean.

Qui-Long Gone
05-22-2007, 07:32 PM
I understand the cheepness of doing this series with computer, but I loved Tartakovsky's series....it was actually better than Episodes 2 and 3....these characters look horrible....

BTW....I didn't know they used Tasha Yar from Star Trek for Anakin's character design?

Mad Slanted Powers
05-23-2007, 02:17 AM
Hmmmm. Unlike the first Yoda image, which appeared to be based on Tartakovsky's designs, this doesn't appear to be too impressive. :(

And Mace has never worn Clonetrooper armor before. Take a look at his arms and you'll see what I mean.
The Clone Wars figure had some sort of shield guards on his wrists/forearms. From what I can see in that picture, it looks like it could be the same thing.

Rocketboy
05-25-2007, 12:39 AM
Sunday at 11:30am @ starwars.com

El Chuxter
05-25-2007, 12:48 AM
What can the surprise be?

A new Samurai Jack cartoon?

Oh, we can only hope!

figrin bran
05-25-2007, 01:17 AM
I believe Sunday is when the first clips of this series will be shown at CIV and i presume on starwars.com as well.

CaptainSolo1138
05-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Sunday at 11:30am @ starwars.comOr 8:30am for us EST folk.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Or 8:30am for us EST folk.No, you are three hours ahead, so 11:30am Pacific would be 2:30pm Eastern.

CaptainSolo1138
05-25-2007, 02:51 PM
No, you are three hours ahead, so 11:30am Pacific would be 2:30pm Eastern.You're right. Good save, MSP!

Rocketboy
05-27-2007, 02:36 PM
The Clone Wars trailer (http://www.starwars.com/video/view/000478.html) is up and it actually looks pretty good!

DarthQuack
05-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Yea...mine doesn't wanna load :-\

EDIT: Got it to load...had to update my flash player....looks pretty sweet though, should be interesting to see the final product.

vadersvette
05-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Looking forward to this series! The trailer was pretty amazing.
But one thing still confuses me. Is this series a continuation of the Cartoon Clone Wars, or an entire new storyline? :confused:

Mad Slanted Powers
05-27-2007, 03:53 PM
I doubt it is a continuation since the previous one ended where ROTS begins. It will probably fill in gaps in the cartoon.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Pretty excited about this. That sequence of anakin jumping from speeder to speeder, destroying droids was awesome! :thumbsup:

Tycho
05-27-2007, 05:12 PM
That sequence of Anakin jumping STAPs disturbed me. The rest seemed more probable and less cartoony. One thing is for sure, with the AT-TE scenes, our prospects of getting a toy of this vehicle as well as the V-19 Clone fighter just tremendously improved!

Anyway, a lot of the characters look good, too. Dooku did not however. And the shot of Palpatine was sort of from far away, so I don't know what to think. Great to see Ventress back! Durge (if in this) could be cool as well.

figrin bran
05-27-2007, 05:36 PM
i wasn't expecting much but the preview was great! they featured that Togruta padawan so prominently in the poster but there's no footage whatsoever of her here.

Anakin jumping STAPS is still better than Yoda and Mace taking out 100's of battle droids by themselves

Mad Slanted Powers
05-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Anakin jumping STAPS is still better than Yoda and Mace taking out 100's of battle droids by themselvesAgreed. Jumping from STAP to STAP didn't seem too bad. No different than the big leap Obi-Wan made to get back to the walkway that Maul and Qui-Gon were fighting on. At least this looks like they are trying to make the movement more realistic than the previous Clone Wars cartoons.

Banthaholic
05-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Hopefully the AT-TE appearing will translate into Hasbro making us it in plastic 3 3/4" form

CaptainSolo1138
05-27-2007, 10:19 PM
That looked amazing, except for the whole Asajj "They should've left my stupid charcater dead" Ventress thing.

figrin bran
05-27-2007, 10:22 PM
That looked amazing, except for the whole Asajj "They should've left my stupid charcater dead" Ventress thing.

i might be wrong on this but i think this new CW series doesn't pick up from where the previous left off (otherwise, it would start with the Battle of Coruscant that opens up ROTS). i think it's covering gaps in the CW timeline that the other series did not and so that's how Ventress can be in it.

El Chuxter
05-27-2007, 10:52 PM
It's a nice static page. Nothing else wants to come up on my computer.

Rocketboy
05-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Watched it again and I still like it, but...
I still think Anakin looks like a chick (of that slightly manly Hillary Swank variety).
Obi-Wan is still wearing that dumb*ss armor.
Ventress - :rolleyes:
And is it just me or does Threepio look worse than some of the human characters?

El Chuxter
05-28-2007, 01:10 AM
Okay, seriously, do I need to install some new software or something? It says "Please make a selection," but there's nothing to select. I thought earlier it might be down, but I doubt it'd be down for this long (especially with RB watching it again since the last time I tried to see it).

El Chuxter
05-28-2007, 01:47 AM
Hmmm.... Guess that was it. Y'know, if they're going to require the absolute latest version of Flash, they should probably indicate somewhere. Typical Lucasfilm half-arsedness.

My thoughts.... Meh. The character designs look like total bastardizations of the Tartakovsky designs. I'm not saying this because of a bias (even though I think Genndy is a billion times better at telling a SW story than Lucas). I'm saying it because the highly abstract, angular designs simply do not work against realistic backgrounds. It has to be all or nothing, and this ends up just looking silly.

Anakin and the STAPs was corny. Again, make stuff look realistic, and the characters must act in a realistic fashion. Mace can take down a billion Battle Droids singlehandedly and then guzzle a Coke because it's a frigging cartoon, and it's supposed to be! If the characters and backgrounds make Justice League look like photorealism, there's more leeway in the way characters and objects function.

The animation is good. Don't get me wrongo. But the juxtaposition of the two very different styles works too strongly against any sort of visual cohesion, making this, well, a mess.

Storywise, well, it's getting to be the typical EU problem: too many stories shoved into too short a time frame. How can Asajj possibly be a main villain? Let's see... she shows up as a nasty villain for a while, then finally lures Anakin to Yavin IV, where she's left for dead. Only she isn't quite dead, and comes back to be a nasty villain again. Finally, on Coruscant, she learns Anakin and Padme are married, and Anakin goes darkside on her again, this time knocking her off a building. But she still isn't dead. She's in a bacta tank. Right before ROTS, she recovers, realizes how misguided she is, and flees the known galaxy, never to be seen again.

Where can another season of Clone Wars fit? Christ, will we get to see her supposedly die again?

Same with Dooku. Face it, the duel scene in ROTS doesn't work on any level if Anakin and Dooku have ever been in direct contact with one another since Geonosis. There are several near-misses in the novels, where Dooku escapes just before Anakin and Obi-Wan arrive on a planet (once where they actually are able to swap words before Dooku springs a trap on them). But they've been running into each other practically daily if you accept the video games as canon (which Lucasfilm insists they are). And, now, it's clear they'll have another lightsaber duel. This isn't the freaking Fugitive TV show.

I'm not too impressed. I honestly believe that Lucas liked Samurai Jack, so he let someone play in his sandbox. It did well, so he allowed a third season. Then he realized that an awful lot of people thought that some upstart animator had done better than he had. He couldn't have that, so he decided to do cartoons himself, further dragging the good name he once had through the mud.

The guy's an egotistical megalomaniac, likely stark raving mad. I think those interviews you see have to be heavily edited to cut out shots of him cursing in Swahili and flinging his excrement at the camera. (That's the real reason he doesn't go to conventions. His handlers are afraid he'll reveal his lunacy.)

figrin bran
05-28-2007, 02:06 AM
Hmmm.... Guess that was it. Y'know, if they're going to require the absolute latest version of Flash, they should probably indicate somewhere. Typical Lucasfilm half-arsedness.

you could've just watched the trailer on youtube. i've heard other people saying that Explorer wouldn't let them view the page. it seems to work fine with Firefox, though.

Storywise, well, it's getting to be the typical EU problem: too many stories shoved into too short a time frame. How can Asajj possibly be a main villain? Let's see... she shows up as a nasty villain for a while, then finally lures Anakin to Yavin IV, where she's left for dead. Only she isn't quite dead, and comes back to be a nasty villain again. Finally, on Coruscant, she learns Anakin and Padme are married, and Anakin goes darkside on her again, this time knocking her off a building. But she still isn't dead. She's in a bacta tank. Right before ROTS, she recovers, realizes how misguided she is, and flees the known galaxy, never to be seen again.

Where can another season of Clone Wars fit? Christ, will we get to see her supposedly die again?

the clones are all wearing Phase 1 armor which puts this series squarely before ROTS.

Same with Dooku. Face it, the duel scene in ROTS doesn't work on any level if Anakin and Dooku have ever been in direct contact with one another since Geonosis. There are several near-misses in the novels, where Dooku escapes just before Anakin and Obi-Wan arrive on a planet (once where they actually are able to swap words before Dooku springs a trap on them). But they've been running into each other practically daily if you accept the video games as canon (which Lucasfilm insists they are). And, now, it's clear they'll have another lightsaber duel. This isn't the freaking Fugitive TV show.

maybe it's just a dream sequence :p

El Chuxter
05-28-2007, 02:16 AM
the clones are all wearing Phase 1 armor which puts this series squarely before ROTS.

Exactly.

Chronology-wise, she's found in the arena fight during Season 1 of Clone Wars.

She shows up as a general in the comics next, where she fights Anakin and Obi-Wan several times.

She attacks the fleet above Muunilinst, where Anakin chases her to Yavin and supposedly kills her.

But she's not dead, and is up to her old tricks quickly. She catches up to the heroes on Coruscant and overhears Anakin talking to Padme. She confronts him when he's alone, threatening to kill Padme once she kills him. He goes even more darkside than when he fought her on Yavin, knocking her from one of Coruscant's high-rises and getting his facial scar in the process.

Obi-Wan hears rumors she's still alive, and a Jedi task force finds her on another world (I forget which one). She was recovered by Separatists and is floating in bacta. Grievous and Dooku both show up, Adi Gallia is killed, and Asajj and Obi-Wan have one final saberfight. Dooku and Grievous escape, leaving her for dead. Asajj comes to her senses, realizing that she's been on the wrong side. Before she "dies" a third time, she warns Obi-Wan to guard Coruscant.

Her "corpse" is placed on a shuttle with the gravely wounded Alpha, to be sent to Coruscant and given a proper funeral. However, since she apparently is one of the X-Men, she takes over the ship and orders it to fly "as far from the Jedi and this war as possible." She has, so far, not been seen again, though it's likely she'd show up as a hero or anti-hero if she does. (If the EU writers had any sense, they'd realize how ripe the character and her situation would be--suddenly finding that the entire war was staged, and all non-Sith Force users are public enemy #1.)

So she's already returned from the dead THREE TIMES in as many years. Seriously, she could teach some tricks about not quite dying to anyone in the Marvel or DC Universes.

figrin bran
05-28-2007, 02:28 AM
this answer from the Q&A today should give us the old "i have a bad feeling about this"...

while continuity is being taken very seriously by the creators of the series, Lucas retains the right to make slight adjustments for the sake of the story

jjreason
05-28-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm fine with that. I thought the trailer made the cartoon look better than I could have ever imagined - I'm very excited about seeing the show now!

CaptainSolo1138
05-29-2007, 07:38 AM
I was never implying that she was dead an therefore didn't fit within any sort of continuity, I was just saying how lame of a character she is and that she should've been laid to rest.

Tycho
05-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Dude: Ventress is exactly like what Bald Britney with PMS and double lightsabers would be like if she were in the Star Wars universe!

CaptainSolo1138
05-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Dude: Ventress is exactly like what Bald Britney with PMS and double lightsabers would be like if she were in the Star Wars universe!Minus the hammer toes, poor parenting skills, C-Section scar and saggy boobs.

JEDIpartner
05-29-2007, 10:16 AM
I had no issues cueing this trailer up. It worked on my first try. :) Anyhow, I like that the characters are still very stylised and cartoony. I don't mind the amped up cartoon action as it IS a cartoon. It looks pretty good as far as TV CG animation goes. I'm sure I'll enjoy it if the stories are anything to write home about.

Jargo
05-30-2007, 09:45 AM
i don't like it. I hated the bendy broflovski version and I don't like how this version looks either. the stories are stupid. and I don't particularly care to have every tiny gap in the saga filled with poodoo.

figrin bran
05-30-2007, 11:49 AM
i don't like it. I hated the bendy broflovski version and I don't like how this version looks either. the stories are stupid. and I don't particularly care to have every tiny gap in the saga filled with poodoo.

how about reserving judgment for the stories after you've seen an episode? :p

Jargo
05-30-2007, 07:07 PM
what's the point in that? takes all the fun out of it.

DarkArtist
05-30-2007, 07:34 PM
does anyone know where on the starwars.com site the trailer is ? Also do you have to be a hyperspace member to see it ?

I tried to find the trailer on YouTube.com but all the spots have been removed by Lucas.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-30-2007, 07:49 PM
See the link in post #65 of this thread. I don't think it requires Hyperspace membership. It didn't require me to log on.

Jargo
05-31-2007, 09:08 AM
it's on the new home page.

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 01:16 AM
I still think Anakin looks like a chick (of that slightly manly Hillary Swank variety). Yeah, totally does.

And is it just me or does Threepio look worse than some of the human characters?Verily! I was stunned by that, I guess they're going for pseudophotorealism on Grievous but Genndy on 3PO - inconsistent.

My thoughts.... Meh. The character designs look like total bastardizations of the Tartakovsky designs. I'm not saying this because of a bias (even though I think Genndy is a billion times better at telling a SW story than Lucas). I'm saying it because the highly abstract, angular designs simply do not work against realistic backgrounds. It has to be all or nothing, and this ends up just looking silly.I think part of the problem is that Tartakovsky's designs are VERY specific to 2-D, they almost wrap around from the sides to accomplish a flat look, and they shouldn't have tried to turn that into 3-D, especially as you said on complex realistic backgrounds.

Anakin and the STAPs was corny. Again, make stuff look realistic, and the characters must act in a realistic fashion. Mace can take down a billion Battle Droids singlehandedly and then guzzle a Coke because it's a frigging cartoon, and it's supposed to be! If the characters and backgrounds make Justice League look like photorealism, there's more leeway in the way characters and objects function.Agreed here too, it stood out like a sore thumb the second I saw it.

Storywise, well, it's getting to be the typical EU problem: too many stories shoved into too short a time frame. How can Asajj possibly be a main villain? Let's see... she shows up as a nasty villain for a while, then finally lures Anakin to Yavin IV, where she's left for dead. Only she isn't quite dead, and comes back to be a nasty villain again. Finally, on Coruscant, she learns Anakin and Padme are married, and Anakin goes darkside on her again, this time knocking her off a building. But she still isn't dead. She's in a bacta tank. Right before ROTS, she recovers, realizes how misguided she is, and flees the known galaxy, never to be seen again.It depends heavily on the helmer and how long the series is designed to run, both of which can work within your needs to a degree but done wrong can lead to a mess.

Where can another season of Clone Wars fit? Christ, will we get to see her supposedly die again?We're supposed to replace the CW with this, I guess.

Same with Dooku. Face it, the duel scene in ROTS doesn't work on any level if Anakin and Dooku have ever been in direct contact with one another since Geonosis. There are several near-misses in the novels, where Dooku escapes just before Anakin and Obi-Wan arrive on a planet (once where they actually are able to swap words before Dooku springs a trap on them). But they've been running into each other practically daily if you accept the video games as canon (which Lucasfilm insists they are). And, now, it's clear they'll have another lightsaber duel. This isn't the freaking Fugitive TV show.How can the games be canon if the cartoon and comics aren't canon (since only the 6 saga movies are canon according to LFL)? Or do you mean canon to the CW?

I'm not too impressed. I honestly believe that Lucas liked Samurai Jack, so he let someone play in his sandbox. It did well, so he allowed a third season. Then he realized that an awful lot of people thought that some upstart animator had done better than he had. He couldn't have that, so he decided to do cartoons himself, further dragging the good name he once had through the mud.Ditto that.

The guy's an egotistical megalomaniac, likely stark raving mad. I think those interviews you see have to be heavily edited to cut out shots of him cursing in Swahili and flinging his excrement at the camera. (That's the real reason he doesn't go to conventions. His handlers are afraid he'll reveal his lunacy.) The real reason: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=23586&cat=5351

Minus the hammer toes, poor parenting skills, C-Section scar and saggy boobs.Zing! But you don't see Asajj Ventress in a schoolgirl uniform in music videos either, so it's a trade off... I'll take Ventress.

See the link in post #65 of this thread. I don't think it requires Hyperspace membership. It didn't require me to log on.Nor I.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-07-2007, 06:03 PM
I saw the trailer at CIV, after Dave Filoni and Catherine Winder talked about it, and sweet holy nuts, it was awesome. They need to show this in theaters . . . the gunships freakin' shook the floors.

Aside from that, I have really high hopes for the show. I think a lot of your guys' complaints about Anakin's fey look is due to his hair, but I like how they actually tried to bridge his AOTC and ROTS looks. Also, they explained that they wanted to use a little bit of Genndy's stuff but really make it their own. Dave, who was a huge fan (he went to all three Midnight Madnesses and dressed like Plo Koon for a charity event), said that the action would be more realistic than Genndy's cartoon since the Jedi needed to start dying and couldn't be so invincible (and more like how they were on Geonosis). I also met with him on the last day, he's really nice.

I think it's going to be great.

Rocketboy
01-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Ok, time for me to call bullsh*t on Clone Wars:

In 2008, Star Wars: The Clone Wars expands the Star Wars universe with plenty of surprises. This week, Lucasfilm begins offering a glimpse at some of these surprises during the annual Toy Fair events around the world. As it unveiled many of its upcoming toys and collectibles, including those from the Clone Wars TV series, among the familiar characters like Obi-Wan (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/obiwankenobi/), Anakin and Yoda (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/yoda/) is a mysterious new Padawan named Ahsoka Tano.

This young Togruta is eager to prove herself as a worthy Padawan to her bold Master, Anakin Skywalker (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/anakinskywalker/). Able to wield a lightsaber (http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/lightsaber/) and pilot a spacecraft with great talent, Ahsoka promises to become a worthy Jedi (http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/thejediorder/).
Anakin's padawan? Jesus, it was bad enough when Anakin had a new master, also during the Clone Wars.

starwars.com (http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news/news20080129.html)

CaptainSolo1138
01-30-2008, 11:52 AM
I liked her better the first time I saw her...when she was named Shaak Ti.

Rocketboy
01-30-2008, 11:55 AM
I liked her better the first time I saw her...when she was named Shaak Ti.Response A: Oooh, but she's young and "sexy."

Response B: I liked her better when she didn't exist.

El Chuxter
01-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Okay, there was too much story to compress into this period before. But how can a Padawan have his own Padawan? He only became a Knight a couple of months before ROTS.

I agree 100% with your calling bulldookie.

Battle Droid
01-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Hopefully she's killed in her first episode.

JediTricks
01-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Yeah, this is crap x20.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Hopefully she's killed in her first episode.

She'll most likely get killed at some point. Seeing that there's no reference to her beyond this series. No wait, she'll dissapear only to reapear later on in Legacy or whatever follows it. Some characters do get milked way beyond their selling point.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Wow, it seems like everyone really loves her so far. :p

Weird that they're giving Anakin a Padawan, but Obi-Wan got one the same time he became a knight so it's not too far-fetched I guess. It's just kind of odd.

plasticfetish
01-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Sounds like the Jedi order has really lowered their standards. If they're not careful, this sort of thing may just come back to hurt them. :yes:

El Chuxter
01-31-2008, 12:02 AM
It's not even necessarily that bad that they gave him a Padawan as soon as he was knighted. However, there's been a lot of material based on the period between his being knighted and becoming Vader that doesn't reference anything about it, including Revenge of the Sith!

2-1B
01-31-2008, 12:36 AM
That's why it's Expanded ! lol

bigbarada
02-02-2008, 04:37 AM
I think there is enough here to keep me interested if the series does well. Since I think the Prequel story is pretty much crap anyways, it won't hurt anything to just dump more crap on top of that.

Plus, I tend to overlook quality issues when it comes to TV programs. So as long as this tells a compelling story, then I will watch it.... oh wait, Lucas is directly involved? Well, so much for the story.:(

Fine, I'll watch it for the big battles and there better be a lot of them.:mad:

El Chuxter
02-07-2008, 06:54 PM
The slightly more clear phrasing in the latest Homing Beacon confirms Ashoka is Anakin's Padawan. :rolleyes:

Already StarWars.com revealed the identity of Anakin Skywalker's hitherto unknown Padawan Ahsoka....

I'm out. Sorry, this is stupid. No two ways around it.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-07-2008, 07:02 PM
The slightly more clear phrasing in the latest Homing Beacon confirms Ashoka is Anakin's Padawan. :rolleyes:

I'm out. Sorry, this is stupid. No two ways around it.

Well Chux, Lucasfilm isn't always known for making smart, good sense decisions now are they?

jjreason
02-09-2008, 08:23 PM
What does "Jumped the Shark" mean again?

Oh. :(

El Chuxter
02-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Quickly... Anakin.... The Jedi-Shark Repellent!

Mad Slanted Powers
02-11-2008, 12:21 AM
The Separatist cause will be aided by the SNL Land Shark tricking Republic forces.

Rocketboy
02-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah, an official announcement (http://starwars.com/theclonewars/news/announcement.html).
In theaters in August and on Cartoon Network and TNT.

Tycho
02-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Now there ARE going to be Clones in this Clone Wars TV series?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-12-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm glad it's official now. August 15; sounds sweet. I kind of figured it would be on Cartoon Network; why are they showing it on two different networks?

Even though I know most of you are dreading this, I'm quite looking forward to it.

El Chuxter
02-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Dreading isn't exactly the right word. I'd love it to be awesome. It just looks like it's going to be awesomely bad instead.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-12-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm glad it's official now. August 15; sounds sweet. I kind of figured it would be on Cartoon Network; why are they showing it on two different networks?

Even though I know most of you are dreading this, I'm quite looking forward to it.
I'm guessing two networks because a lot of people probably don't have Cartoon Network, while most people with cable have TNT. Cartoon Network will still get to show them first, but having them on TNT means more people will get to see it.

JEDIpartner
02-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Hmmmm... I'm not so sure about this. :Ponder:

El Chuxter
02-12-2008, 07:20 PM
...but having them on TNT means more people will get to see it.

Only if they air between the CHiPs reunion and the Dukes of Hazzard reunion.

2-1B
02-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Wow Chux, there's a Dukes reunion too ? Sweet ! :thumbsup: :yeaha: :thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Dreading isn't exactly the right word. I'd love it to be awesome. It just looks like it's going to be awesomely bad instead.As my grandmother would put it, "it's going to be more of a treatment than a treat."

I knew this would end up on CN, nobody else could find a place for it, it's not Saturday morning material, it's not "mature audience" enough for most networks, it really doesn't make sense anywhere. CN is the miserable, abusive home for stuff like this. And since they are under the same corporate umbrella as TNT, my guess is it's going there to try to get that "mature audience" who wouldn't watch a cartoon on something called "Cartoon Network" - TNT is their drama station, but is a really thin schedule right now unless you enjoy reruns of Law & Order.

As for the film release, I figured that'd happen once they said 3D, the process is too expensive not to release here. I bet it tanks.

Blue2th
02-13-2008, 11:29 PM
There's some new footage with a new "behind the scenes" segment.
I'm seeing some Tri-Droids, Commander Cody, some different colored Clones (of course) Better shot of the mail away Captain Clone.
I'm liking the B-Wing type shuttle. A brief shot of a Jedi Fighter that looks different.
http://www.starwars.com/video/view/000623.html

General_Grievous
02-22-2008, 12:34 AM
After seeing that new footage, the only things I really don't like are Anakin's padawan and the designs for Dooku and the Separatist leaders. Jeez, talk about Playstation graphics! Everything else I'm fairly indifferent to, as some of it looks pretty decent, like the space battles and some of the ground battle stuff with the AT-TEs and Tri-droids. I'll still check it out, but I doubt this will be anywhere near as awesome as Tartakovsky's "true" Clone Wars.

El Chuxter
02-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Anyone else find it a bit... wrong that Anakin and Britney Spears are clearly on Tatooine?

Anakin returning to the planet where his mother died seems like it would throw another wrench into ROTS.

I do find it funny that Lucas is now exploring the character of Anakin "now that he has time." Uh, isn't that what Episodes I-III were supposed to be?

2-1B
02-22-2008, 01:23 PM
I just hope he rematches Sebulba in a pod race.

And it would be really cool if he brought 2-1B with him to give Clieg a new leg.

CaptainSolo1138
02-22-2008, 01:36 PM
I just hope he rematches Sebulba in a pod race.Nah, he'd probably end up selling his soul to him in exchange for "walkin' on yer hands" lessons.

Rocketboy
04-04-2008, 05:19 PM
As if Anakin having a padawan couldn't get any dumber, Ashoka is 11-years-old (http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2008-04-03-lucas-star-wars_N.htm).

Lucas says that while the show can appeal to viewers ages 8 to 80, it's primarily targeted at 12-year-olds. As a result, he's added a new 11-year-old girl, Ahsoka, as a "padawan learner" for Anakin Skywalker to mentor, now that he and Obi-Wan Kenobi are "equal partners."

Jargo
04-04-2008, 06:29 PM
dave filoni in that vid was getting a little too excited about an animated semi clad 11 year old girl for my liking.
Anakin seems to have a bit of a Josh hartnett look in this. he looks like he has real bad dark circles under his eyes. and the set of his jaw is much meaner and masculine looking than hayden's. The voice still sounds wooden and lacklustre though.

El Chuxter
04-04-2008, 07:37 PM
So she's a year younger than supposedly Padawans are required to be, and she dresses like a meth-addicted streetwalker? :confused:

Again, six months ago, this whole shebang was supposed to be so much darker than any cartoon we'd ever seen, and absolutely not for kids. Now, it's for 12 year olds, and with Britney Wan-Spearsobi added.

This seems more a messy clusterbang the more I read about it.

plasticfetish
04-04-2008, 07:46 PM
As if Anakin having a padawan couldn't get any dumber, Ashoka is 11-years-old.Sounds about right. Aren't they supposed to be paired up with a Jedi before they turn 13?

El Chuxter
04-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Yeah, but they're not supposed to be on missions before they're 12, IIRC. I guess the war changed things, and now kids go out to fight in battle while wearing their underoos.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah! I've NEVER seen a 10-year-old Padawan, CERTAINLY never in The Phantom Menace!!!

:p

Also, I mentioned it in another thread, but it was confirmed by the packaging of the Obi-Wan figure that Rotta the Huttlet (seriously) is Jabba's son. Which I'm sure you'll all just love.

plasticfetish
04-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I guess the war changed things, and now kids go out to fight in battle while wearing their underoos.

She'd be getting killed one way or another, so...

:sur:

El Chuxter
04-04-2008, 08:07 PM
JJL, this isn't a mere difference of opinion here. We saw a 10 year old Padawan in TPM. However, according to the rules, he was not supposed to be fighting. This has been stated hundreds of times in various sources. Qui-Gon broke the rules several times over in regards to Anakin, and Mace probably would've stuck a boot up his arse if he hadn't gotten suckerpunched to death by a really cool design with no personality.

If Ahsoka can be in combat, why are Whie and whatshisface still stationed at the Temple in ROTS? They're older than she is. Shouldn't they both have masters by this point? Cin Drallig is a trainer, and neither of them is his Padawan.

So :p back atcha!

Ahsoka getting killed is worse than Ahsoka existing in the first place. This is basic "Making Stories Not Suck Butt 101." With all the guilt he felt for his mother's death, and even Qui-Gon's death, along with his overprotective concern for Padme and their unborn child(ren), the recent death of a Padawan could, in theory, add more credibility to his transformation in ROTS. Only trouble is: this would've had to have been referenced in some way in ROTS! Anakin doesn't hide rage well. Yet we see nothing when he realizes Palpatine has orchestrated the entire thing. Given what we've seen of him up to this point, he couldn't care less about the billions dead, but they don't affect him directly. He wouldn't stand for this old fart starting up a war that killed HIS student.

Not to mention that, though it could've added depth to the character if handled better than an after-the-fact retcon, it completely undermines the entire bit about Anakin thinking the Jedi are against him.

plasticfetish
04-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Not to mention that, though it could've added depth to the character...Whoaa, whoaa, whoaa!!! Stop right there. I don't know what you're talkin' about, but it's obviously not Star Wars. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-04-2008, 10:28 PM
JJL, this isn't a mere difference of opinion here. We saw a 10 year old Padawan in TPM. However, according to the rules, he was not supposed to be fighting. This has been stated hundreds of times in various sources.
But never in the films.

I accept your :p but kindly give one in return. :p

:D

Though I do agree that they better handle her death well (unless she escapes, but I'm tired of all the EU Jedi living well past Order 66).

El Chuxter
04-04-2008, 11:11 PM
I think the April Fool's article on wookieepedia that stated Order 66 resulted in the deaths about about 2.5% of the Jedi is quite EU-accurate.

Phantom-like Menace
04-10-2008, 04:17 PM
You know, I think the only thing that really bothers me about Ahsoka (if I accept "dresses like a hussy" as par for the course) is that every other source out there has had Jedi choose their apprentices. Ahsoka just gets assigned.

Blue2th
04-10-2008, 06:49 PM
You know, I think the only thing that really bothers me about Ahsoka (if I accept "dresses like a hussy" as par for the course) is that every other source out there has had Jedi choose their apprentices. Ahsoka just gets assigned.
During the Clone Wars the Jedi are using emergency powers to get more Jedi in the field.
Like making Anakin a Jedi Knight in Clone Wars I. The youngest to ever be appointed.
Stands to reason they would do something like appoint Ahsoka.
We'll probably see Anakin not like it, and she'll have to prove herself.

Phantom-like Menace
04-11-2008, 07:55 AM
I think the April Fool's article on wookieepedia that stated Order 66 resulted in the deaths about about 2.5% of the Jedi is quite EU-accurate.

Order 66 was just a decapitation strike: the best way to quickly take out the Jedi leadership. Quite a few Jedi could have gotten away. We've always known Vader helped the Empire hunt down and kill the Jedi, so I've assumed that meant Jedi who weren't involved in Order 66.

Though I do agree that were Ahsoka to die, Anakin wouldn't take it well, and we would expect to see that in RotS. So, I'm assuming she lives past the Clone Wars and probably Order 66 and we see Darth Vader and Ahsoka square off somewhere down the line.

We'll probably see Anakin not like it, and she'll have to prove herself.

I could see that.

bigbarada
04-14-2008, 02:19 AM
Sooooo, the Jedi don't lift a finger to free the enslaved mother of one of their own; but they launch an all out offensive to find the kidnapped son of a known gangster, criminal mastermind and slave owner? :rolleyes: That makes the Jedi no better than the politicians Obi-Wan derides in Ep2.

And here I thought this cartoon would spend it's time filling in the glaring plot holes of the prequels (um,... Sifo Dyas anyone? Helloooo?); but I guess that was giving Lucas too much credit.

El Chuxter
04-14-2008, 02:25 AM
Questions about Sifo-Dyas were all cleared up in Labyrinth of Evil. Y'know, one of those books that take place during the Clone Wars, and which Lucas is apparently going to retcon since someone else told it and did a better job.

(Seriously, read Cloak of Deception, The Phantom Menace, The Approaching Storm, Attack of the Clones, Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, and Dark Lord in order if you want proof that it's not the basic story of the prequels that causes them to be, uh, not good.)

bigbarada
04-14-2008, 02:38 AM
I might check it out, but I still think something that affects the plot that much really needs to be dealt with onscreen. The creation of the Clone Army is directly related to Palpatine siezing power in Ep3. The Jedi are suspicious about the origins of the Clone army, but entrust their lives to them without hesitation? Don't you think they would have investigated the origin of the Clones more thouroughly before learning to rely on them so much during the Clone Wars?

At least a small scene that explains what caused the Jedi to let their guard down and make themselves vulnerable.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-14-2008, 07:30 PM
What's up with the new trailer? There's a link on the main page here (and one to a different site at GalacticHunter) but I can't get anything that plays.

plasticfetish
04-14-2008, 07:42 PM
What's up with the new trailer? There's a link on the main page here (and one to a different site at GalacticHunter) but I can't get anything that plays.Haven't bothered to look, but seeing as how it's a "leaked" trailer... they may have killed it off.

EDIT: No, it's still there. Go to this page (http://www.kino-govno.com/?trailers&id=clonewarscg), and click on the link under the photo of Anakin and his Padawan. (Not the weird Flash file.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the tip!

Wow, that still looks pretty damn awesome. The animation is looking more fluid than it did in the first trailer. I'll have fun watching it when I'm the only one in the theater. :p

plasticfetish
04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
I'll have fun watching it when I'm the only one in the theater. :pYeah, no kidding. ;) I think it looks amazing. I watched that clip with my son also, and he was really excited.

They need to let more things like that clip loose, to get people excited.

Phantom-like Menace
04-25-2008, 01:41 AM
I just saw a video I hadn't seen before on sw.com:

http://www.starwars.com/video/view/000636.html

Blue2th
04-25-2008, 10:07 AM
I just saw a video I hadn't seen before on sw.com:

http://www.starwars.com/video/view/000636.html

Wow! so the AT-TE can climb a cliff. We'd seen it start up that way in the earlier trailer. I like the fact that it's toes can clamp into the ground.

jonthejedi
05-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Just saw the theatrical trailer on TNT..WOW! Beyond impressed with the graphics, camera moves & depth of alot of the shots. It really makes CW vol. 1 & 2 pale in comparison. Send in the clones! This is almost Episode 2.5!

El Chuxter
05-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Vertical battle?

What the hell is this? Is Adam West playing Anakin, and Burt Ward is Asohka?

plasticfetish
05-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Is Adam West playing Anakin, and Burt Ward is Asohka?Only in your dreams. Your weird and twisted dreams.

-----

Saw the trailer on CNN, and it looks amazing. Going to be a great show... can't wait to see more.

Phantom-like Menace
05-09-2008, 12:49 AM
So was this the leaked trailer I linked to earlier or was it something new? I was certain enough it would be not to worry about waking up to see it (I work nights so I sleep during the day), but I figured someone would have confirmed it for me by now.

plasticfetish
05-09-2008, 01:51 AM
So was this the leaked trailer I linked to earlier or was it something new?It seemed the same. Maybe a bit longer, but I can't remember the leaked trailer exactly.

I wouldn't worry about missing it, as I'm sure they'll probably play it a half million times now. It was nice seeing it on a decent screen, and not just a tiny box on my monitor. Be really intesting to see how it'll look in the theater.

Phantom-like Menace
05-09-2008, 02:31 AM
Cool, thanks. I'm not too worried about it, so a report that it was close enough is close enough.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah, it was more or less the same; the only real difference I noticed was that it didn't have the text.

But holy nuts, it still looks great. It's still a shame that seemingly only three people on here are interested, though.

2-1B
05-09-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm interested, Short Round. Really, I am, my interest keeps going up in this...I'm looking forward to August.

It will probably be the best EU, aside from Battle for Endor of course.

El Chuxter
05-10-2008, 01:29 AM
You think it'll be better than Caravan of Courage? That's high praise indeed.

Chuka-Trokh would've ended the Clone Wars in five minutes, but he was on vacation in Maui at the time.

Blue2th
05-10-2008, 01:40 AM
Finally saw the trailer online. I am impressed. Subtle things like when Anakin and Ashoka look at each other before they go into battle. Makes you wonder what they are thinking, and adds more depth to the characters.
I think I'm going to like this movie and the series a lot. I want to.

2-1B
05-10-2008, 01:49 AM
You think it'll be better than Caravan of Courage? That's high praise indeed.

Chuka-Trokh would've ended the Clone Wars in five minutes, but he was on vacation in Maui at the time.

That just shows your flornbistic ignorance, cuz if Chuka-Trokh was capable of flying to Maui, King Terak would have just followed him off the moon...thus negating the existence of Battle for Endor.

El Chuxter
05-10-2008, 12:13 PM
No one can follow Chuka-Trokh. He has a private jet flown by Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. Duh.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-10-2008, 03:07 PM
I guess it was confirmed a few days ago (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-et-lucas7-2008may07,0,3749545.story) that Samuel L. Jackson is back as Mace in the movie. Freakin' sweet! I wonder if they ever got Hayden to be Anakin, at least for the movie?

El Chuxter
05-10-2008, 03:19 PM
They need to learn how to do research. Clone Wars will be the ninth film, not the seventh. You cannot forget Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor (especially since they're better than the prequels).

Mad Slanted Powers
05-10-2008, 03:28 PM
They need to learn how to do research. Clone Wars will be the ninth film, not the seventh. You cannot forget Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor (especially since they're better than the prequels).

Were the Ewok movies in theaters?

El Chuxter
05-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Yes, they were. Not a wide release, but they were.

(And I'm willing to go out on a limb right now and say they'll be one million times better than this pseudo-Clone Wars tripe. This looks more craptastic than what I flushed down the john twenty minutes ago.)

Mad Slanted Powers
05-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Yes, they were. Not a wide release, but they were.

(And I'm willing to go out on a limb right now and say they'll be one million times better than this pseudo-Clone Wars tripe. This looks more craptastic than what I flushed down the john twenty minutes ago.)I have the Ewok movies. I've only watched the Caravan of Courage one, but it was kind of lame compared to what I expect the new Clone Wars will be. I'm guessing the Battle for Endor was the better of the two Ewok movies.

plasticfetish
05-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Were the Ewok movies in theaters?The answer is yes, If you mean "home theaters." They were both made for TV movies.

Bit of trivia BTW: As a teen, I was once picked up for trespassing with director John Korty's son Dave. (Ah, the joys of growing up in Marin County. ;))

El Chuxter
05-10-2008, 06:03 PM
They were released in theaters....

Just not in the US. ;)

Blue2th
05-10-2008, 06:18 PM
I guess it was confirmed a few days ago (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-et-lucas7-2008may07,0,3749545.story) that Samuel L. Jackson is back as Mace in the movie. Freakin' sweet! I wonder if they ever got Hayden to be Anakin, at least for the movie?

I thought that was Samuel's voice in the new trailer. Sure enough it is. :thumbsup:

2-1B
05-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Samule L. Jackson...the L initial must stand for "wh*re"

JediTricks
05-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Yeah, it was more or less the same; the only real difference I noticed was that it didn't have the text.

But holy nuts, it still looks great. It's still a shame that seemingly only three people on here are interested, though."Holy nuts"? You're taking this Shorty thing too far!

They were released in theaters....

Just not in the US. ;)I can't believe you went there. But yeah, totally true, they were theatrically released in West Germany, and the 2nd abomination in Finland as well.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-12-2008, 08:00 PM
"Holy nuts"? You're taking this Shorty thing too far!
Then I guess I've been inadvertently quoting Short Round for years, even before I saw the movie. :D

Phantom-like Menace
05-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Starwars.com has added a bit of information about Ahsoka. She was discovered by Plo Koon and brought to be trained. The site also acknowledges her young age, saying that she has been promoted early in part because of the pressing need for more Jedi in the war effort and in part because they feel she can have a positive effect on Anakin.

El Chuxter
05-13-2008, 09:25 AM
That sounds like bunk to me. "We need more soldiers, so let's put little kids in harm's way earlier!" And, positive influence or not, to put her with the most reckless Jedi and therefore put her in even more danger? It doesn't ring true to the ideals of an organization like the Jedi.

Blue2th
05-13-2008, 10:48 AM
There's a famous quote from an infamous secretary of defense "You go to war with the army you have, not the army you wish you had" or something to that effect. The Jedi are doing whatever they need to do to win. Not much different than a certain German dictator, or Russian one who threw everything they had including youth, women etc. into the war effort. Though what's that say about the "arrogant" Jedi?

Though this series is made for mostly kids, maybe they will show Ashoka dying, Anakin getting more angry and bitter after losing his mum, losing yet another someone he gradually got attached to. One more straw to push him over the edge.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-13-2008, 12:44 PM
That sounds like bunk to me. "We need more soldiers, so let's put little kids in harm's way earlier!" And, positive influence or not, to put her with the most reckless Jedi and therefore put her in even more danger? It doesn't ring true to the ideals of an organization like the Jedi.
But most Jedi didn't seem to feel that way about Anakin, just really Mace. Many thought he was the Chosen One, and he was seen as the most powerful member of the order (even shown in the first Clone Wars series, where he was constantly saving everyone else).

I'm not surprised that Plo Koon is involved here, Dave Filoni has a serious hard-on for him. :eek:

El Chuxter
05-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Whether they felt that way or not, his record shows he gets into far more dangerous situations than your average Jedi on a more frequent basis. Barriss Offee became a Knight shortly before Anakin, never had a padawan, and was a healer. Wouldn't she have been a better choice? (If nothing else, there's none of the awkwardness of "20-ish male with prepubescent half-naked girl." That'll raise some eyebrows everywhere he goes.)

And, really, the Jedi using "the army they have" by throwing eleven year olds into battle? I didn't have a huge problem with showing them as a bloated bureaucracy. But making them full-on evil (which I consider putting kids in battle to be) is a bit much.

It shows how desperate Lucas is, I think. He wants this to appeal to kids, so he throws in a kid where one doesn't fit. Worse, he doesn't use time-honored classic motifs that never die, but makes her into an alien Britney Spears/Hannah Montana stripper wannabe, ensuring that any appeal she does have will fade within a couple of years.

Phantom-like Menace
05-13-2008, 02:32 PM
I'd be fairly certain they looked at ability first and only then decided it took precedence over age. She's described as being quite capable. I mean if they weren't looking for ability first, they could send out even non-Force sensitives before throwing children out the door before they can even finish dressing.

The comment about a 20-ish male and prepubescent, half-naked girl . . . yeah, bit of laughter at that one. You'll always find agreement with me on the point of female Jedi dressing provocatively.

El Chuxter
05-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Pretty much every EU female Jedi either dresses like a slut or gets into a nonsanctioned sexual relationship. It's a bit pathetic, honestly.

2-1B
05-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Fits well with the ideals of the EU, then. :thumbsup:

Blue2th
05-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Pretty much every EU female Jedi either dresses like a slut or gets into a nonsanctioned sexual relationship. It's a bit pathetic, honestly.
Good point.
Where are all the beef-cake Jedi? Then again how many girls are really into Star Wars?
Not the target audience I suppose, but maybe that's who they are going after. Kids fashions these days are scantily clad. Like a "Bratts" Jedi.

Droid
05-13-2008, 08:27 PM
I agree that it is more than a bit odd that Anakin is sent on a mission to Tatooine after the loss of his mother on Tatooine and after he was told for ten years to let go of his connections and forget her.

Also, aren't the coincidences getting to be more than a bit much? Anakin stood in the very spot Luke did in an audience with Jabba the Hutt?

"I am Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight, and a friend of Capatin Solo."

"Jedi named Skywalker, eh? Hmm, there was a Jedi named Skywalker who negotiated a treaty with my Clan and helped save my kidnapped son I didn't know I had until 26 years after the first film featuring me was released. Wonder if this guy is related to that dude."

El Chuxter
05-13-2008, 09:17 PM
He would also remember him as the only human to win the Boonta, and would probably know of his history as a slave from Gardulla and Watto.

I really wish the line hadn't been cut from ROTJ: "I've killed many Jedi, back when it meant something to be a Jedi."

Mad Slanted Powers
05-13-2008, 09:40 PM
He would also remember him as the only human to win the Boonta, and would probably know of his history as a slave from Gardulla and Watto.Ah, he slept through that race.

I really wish the line hadn't been cut from ROTJ: "I've killed many Jedi, back when it meant something to be a Jedi."That would have been good to have in there.

plasticfetish
05-14-2008, 02:33 AM
Saw Speed Racer today, and they played the trailer for the Clone Wars before hand.

All I can say, is that though I think this series will play very well on TV, I'm not so sure about how it'll do on the big screen. Before the Clone Wars trailer they played the trailer for Wall*E, and it was actually kind of shocking how much better Wall*E looked.

El Chuxter
05-14-2008, 02:42 AM
I hate to sound so negative, but it's not a surprise that a Pixar movie looks better. Those guys are the best in the business, and they obviously pour their heart and souls into every movie. Lucas Animation, on the other hand, made no bones about hiring new, unproven folks (possibly, but not definitely, because they come cheaper), and, sadly, Lucas has proven three times already that he doesn't really care too much about making a good movie that continues the Star Wars saga as much as he does about selling toys.

If Tartakovsky's not involved, I really wish Lucas could have brought in some other genius, either from animation or live action. What would a director like Frank Oz do? Or Brad Bird? We'll never know.

Blue2th
05-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Didn't Lucas use to own Pixar, then sold it to Disney?

Droid
05-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Didn't Lucas use to own Pixar, then sold it to Disney?

I think he owned a controlling interest in it and sold it to Apple Computers, who has a parnership with Disney on the films that have been released.

Blue2th
05-14-2008, 11:15 AM
I think he owned a controlling interest in it and sold it to Apple Computers, who has a parnership with Disney on the films that have been released.
No wonder the Pixars look so good, their done on Apples (bracing myself to get hit)

JediTricks
05-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Actually, Pixar started as Graphics Group, part of Lucasfilm, and it was sold to Steve Jobs 8 years after its creation, and a year after Jobs had been dumped by Apple for the underperformance of Mac sales.
http://lowendmac.com/orchard/06/pixar-story-lucas-disney.html

Turns out Lucas had been trying to do computer-generated effects for the Star Wars sequels and hired a DIFFERENT firm to make this X-wing model:
http://www.atariarchives.org/cap/showpage.php?page=color1
The guys behind early Pixar saw that and felt it underperformed, so they went to Lucas with the intention of being the computer version of ILM.

Blue2th
06-11-2008, 07:27 PM
New Clone Wars Trailer: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809991325/video/8273357

El Chuxter
06-11-2008, 07:32 PM
I must admit, that one looks better than all the previous ones combined. If it weren't for the really ****ty looking human (and humanoid) characters, this looks like it'd be worth watching.

Unfortunately, the characters still look really bad.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Aw, Chux . . . even when you like it, you have to hate it. ;) :D

This trailer looks awesome, and I wasn't even expecting another trailer. Every time I see something new, I get more and more excited.

Sweet nuts, I thought I heard it and checked online: Christopher Lee is back as Dooku! That just makes it a whole lot sweeter. It sounds like Hayden isn't Anakin, as he wanted, but hopefully they'll still get him in the next few weeks.

El Chuxter
06-11-2008, 10:34 PM
It sounds like Hayden isn't Anakin, as he wanted, but hopefully they'll still get him in the next few weeks.

That would be really, really tough to do a last minute replacement in the world of animation and make it not look like a crappy dub of an anime flick. Either he'd have to do his lines a few dozen times each to get the timing perfect, or they'd have to re-animate it. Given Anakin's prominence in the story, either would be a huge nightmare.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-11-2008, 10:49 PM
That would be really, really tough to do a last minute replacement in the world of animation and make it not look like a crappy dub of an anime flick. Either he'd have to do his lines a few dozen times each to get the timing perfect, or they'd have to re-animate it. Given Anakin's prominence in the story, either would be a huge nightmare.
I read that Christopher Lee had to do that, actually, but who knows if that's true. I'm pretty sure they did the animation with Corey Burton's voice, and I think it might have been in the other trailers, or maybe I'm misremembering. (Same thing with Samuel L. Jackson.)

Anyway, I don't think it would be THAT hard to match his lines to the lip-synch.

El Chuxter
06-11-2008, 10:54 PM
You're not an animation geek, are you? ;)

Next time you watch an animated movie, look in the credits at all the people involved in animating each individual character. There are several who do nothing but making sure mouths match the recorded tracks. It would be much easier to re-record lines over and over until the timing is right. I can see how this could be done with Grievous or Dooku, who might have 7-10 minutes of dialogue, tops, when it's all done. But Anakin, who is presumably the main character, is going to have a LOT more lines than those two combined.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-11-2008, 10:58 PM
You're not an animation geek, are you? ;)

Next time you watch an animated movie, look in the credits at all the people involved in animating each individual character. There are several who do nothing but making sure mouths match the recorded tracks. It would be much easier to re-record lines over and over until the timing is right. I can see how this could be done with Grievous or Dooku, who might have 7-10 minutes of dialogue, tops, when it's all done. But Anakin, who is presumably the main character, is going to have a LOT more lines than those two combined.
Then it'll just take a little longer. :D

El Chuxter
06-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah, like "we might need to delay the movie a couple of weeks" longer. :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-11-2008, 11:31 PM
That'll just give you more time to get excited for it. :p

General_Grievous
06-11-2008, 11:38 PM
The new trailer has sort of piqued my interest. It's something to look forward to, but I doubt it'll be as good as Tartakovsky's Clone Wars.

jonthejedi
06-12-2008, 05:11 AM
Has anyone noticed the teaser trailer on any current or recent Warner animation or live action DVDs? I'm looking to get a better copy than I taped off TV a month or so ago.

DarthQuack
06-12-2008, 06:47 AM
I also enjoy the new trailer....although towards the end it looked like someone meets their untimely death....

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-12-2008, 01:43 PM
I also enjoy the new trailer....although towards the end it looked like someone meets their untimely death....
I bet that Ahsoka will last at least a little longer in the series, if that's what you meant.

Blue2th
06-12-2008, 02:12 PM
I get the feeling Anakin will rescue her at the last second.

Phantom-like Menace
06-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Well, that looked just plain damned cool. Either there are moments of drama in it, drama that Lucas largely forgot to put in the prequels, or there was some pretty good editing, editing that Lucas forgot to use on the prequels, to make it look like there was. Either way, not bad.

Thanks for the link.

Battle Droid
06-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Super Battle Droid kicking Clonetrooper ***, AWESOME! :D

jonthejedi
06-13-2008, 04:59 AM
We may end up calling this movie AOTC 2.5...based on the two trailers thus far. Anyone see my question & Have an answer further down the list. Anyone?

Blue2th
06-13-2008, 09:52 AM
We may end up calling this movie AOTC 2.5...based on the two trailers thus far. Anyone see my question & Have an answer further down the list. Anyone?

Already had a friend (non-Star Wars fan) call it "Star Wars 2.5"

...and no I don't have an answer to your question either.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Starwars.com has updated with a new Clone Wars-inspired look. They've also updated some databank entries (though I can't find a list of who/what has been changed). On Anakin's page, it says Ahsoka was 14, but on her page it says she was made a padawan at an early age. So who knows.

jedi master sal
06-20-2008, 04:20 PM
I get the feeling Anakin will rescue her at the last second.

Gawd, let's not see a misstep by the animators and have Anakin and Asoka kiss... Jediphile that Anakin...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-05-2008, 10:29 PM
There's a new video on the official site in which Dave Filoni talks about the clones and their personalities. I must say, I like how they take on the traits of their Jedi generals, but the fact that they dye and style their hair is a little odd. As is the pink R2 unit . . . is that R2-KT?

2-1B
07-06-2008, 01:56 PM
I hope 2-1B makes a cameo.

Blue2th
07-07-2008, 08:00 PM
There's a new video on the official site in which Dave Filoni talks about the clones and their personalities. I must say, I like how they take on the traits of their Jedi generals, but the fact that they dye and style their hair is a little odd. As is the pink R2 unit . . . is that R2-KT?
Looks like clones know how to have fun. :lipsrsealed:

Phantom-like Menace
07-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Great video. It's going to be cool, I think, to see how the individuality we see in RotS developed. My first thought about clones becoming more like their Jedi generals was for some poor clone serving alongside a female Jedi. Maybe she likes pink, so now he likes pink, so his armor is pink. Then I thought maybe he'd assert that it's lightish red.

As is the pink R2 unit . . . is that R2-KT?

The Star Wars wiki says it's R2-KT, but that could just be anyone jumping the gun. Good eye, though, I totally missed that.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-12-2008, 04:00 PM
The entire first episode was shown to the Television Critics' Association, and the reviews seem to be positive (http://tvdecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/11/the-wait-is-almost-over-for-clone-wars/), all but for one hater. There are a few more links here (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37423).

This essentially confirms that the first episode on TV is NOT part of the movie, Anakin and Obi-Wan aren't in it, and it's Yoda-focused. It seems like even people who didn't like the prequels really enjoyed the show, so it should be awesome.

2-1B
07-12-2008, 04:34 PM
I would prefer it if they would tailor to the fans of the prequels and not the haters.

More Jira and midichlorians, please.

jonthejedi
07-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Anybody know if the trailer's on the new Gotham Knight DVD that came out July 8th? I got to see it on the big screen today. Wow!

JediTricks
07-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Anybody know if the trailer's on the new Gotham Knight DVD that came out July 8th? I got to see it on the big screen today. Wow!
It isn't, the only trailer on there is The Dark Knight.

Tycho
07-15-2008, 10:12 AM
You know, it just occured to me: while Lucas is trying to make more money by creating the adventures between movies, like CW takes place between 2 & 3 and the live-action series promises to be between 3 & 4, what about the adventures of 21-B?

Doesn't anyone want to know what happened to 21-B DURING EPISODE FIVE between his famous line at the Battle of Hoth ("Take care, Sir.") and the end of ESB when he put Luke Skywalker back together again, repairing the injury to his arm from his climactic duel with Darth Vader?

I mean 21-B also had to presumably make it out of the Hoth asteroid belt. What if the larger asteroids were populated by a little elf people? How did 21-B deal with that giant space slug? The Imperial starfleet?

21-B is also a droid and while the Separatists present a lot of bad-guy droids, more adventures of hero-droids like R2-D2 and C-3PO (but not them since they are main characters) would be very cool to see.

Yes, I think Lucas should order up a whole 'nother 100 episodes based on the adventures of 21-B. Do you guys think it should be animated or live-action? Would you cast Al Gore as 21-B or who do YOU have in mind?

Mad Slanted Powers
07-15-2008, 07:31 PM
There should be an episode where 2-1B deals with the loss of his good friend R2-B1. Or were they rivals? Maybe R2-B1 was the anti-2-1B, and 2-1B was actually the one behind the whole Naboo invasion.

2-1B
07-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Rivals, no. Lovers, yes.

Phantom-like Menace
07-23-2008, 12:44 AM
I saw a new commercial today. I was talking with my brother and a friend, so I missed part of it, but it seemed to focus on Ahsoka. I just looked at the official site and tried Youtube but I didn't see a link for the commercial. Does anyone have one?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-24-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't have a link, but I too have been seeing more Clone Wars commercials. One had Whorm Loathsom telling a battle droid to start the shields, and he had a Scottish brogue. Come on, if you don't like that, then you suck. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
07-27-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't have a link, but I too have been seeing more Clone Wars commercials. One had Whorm Loathsom telling a battle droid to start the shields, and he had a Scottish brogue. Come on, if you don't like that, then you suck. :DIf it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!

El Chuxter
07-28-2008, 04:19 PM
I've got to tell you guys, I went to the panel at Comic-Con mainly to see if I could put my fears aside and like this project. In spite of all I've said, I still wanted to like it. And it's many, many times worse than I expected.

Ahsoka will annoy the hell out of you, if you can stand the crappy character animation and voice acting long enough to get to her. I'm not sure you can fully appreciate the s***tiness of her until the episode where she plays "bad cop" hits the air, though, sometime in November or thereabouts.

And don't miss the attempt at hilarity when an apparently retarded Clonetrooper punches a Battle Droid in the face and breaks his hand, then jumps around like a goon while shaking his hand and getting blasted in the process.

The audience reaction sounded rather subdued. I heard several people muttering snide comments during the screening (myself included).

Onoes, I will not even be catching this on television if there's so much as the 8,643rd rerun of some stupid History Channel special on Atlantis on the telly.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-29-2008, 12:43 AM
The guy on galactichunter's main page said the fan response was "frenetic." So I guess the two of you must have been at different panels. ;) :p

El Chuxter
07-29-2008, 01:08 AM
Well, he was probably at the front, in the press area. I did notice a definite difference in the response up close. I was in the back, since I got there a few minutes late (though not late enough to miss any footage). I'm not going to deny it could've been because folks who really wanted to see Clone Wars were up front, and the back had more people who wanted to get into the hall before the next panel started up.

Either way, though, the announcement of the Ewoks DVDs got more applause a few years ago.

Phantom-like Menace
07-29-2008, 02:04 AM
The commercial I saw makes Ahsoka seem like a bit of a smartass, and I love a good smartass. It helps that had I been in the movie, I would have bombarded Anakin with smartass comments, so she's a bit of a surrogate in that respect.

figrin bran
07-29-2008, 02:11 AM
I've got to tell you guys, I went to the panel at Comic-Con mainly to see if I could put my fears aside and like this project. In spite of all I've said, I still wanted to like it. And it's many, many times worse than I expected.

Ahsoka will annoy the hell out of you, if you can stand the crappy character animation and voice acting long enough to get to her. I'm not sure you can fully appreciate the s***tiness of her until the episode where she plays "bad cop" hits the air, though, sometime in November or thereabouts.

Are you saying that Ashoka is more annoying than Sari and Bumblebee on TF: Animated? I can tolerate those two, albeit barely.

El Chuxter
07-29-2008, 03:25 AM
Asohka makes Sari look as bad*** as the Baroness from the old GIJoe cartoons. I honestly yelled out something about how irritating she was in the panel... and I didn't hear anyone give me grief about it, either.

figrin bran
07-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Asohka makes Sari look as bad*** as the Baroness from the old GIJoe cartoons. I honestly yelled out something about how irritating she was in the panel... and I didn't hear anyone give me grief about it, either.

That's a description for Sari, whose only redeeming feature is that she wields the Allspark key, that I would never have envisioned. :shocked:

Qui-Long Gone
07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
I hear that this film will make you fall in love with the SW universe all over again.

True/false?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-31-2008, 05:26 PM
A review from SFX (http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=film_review_star_wars_the), which gave it four out of five stars:

The 20th Century Fox fanfare is such an integral part of the Star Wars experience that seeing the Warner Brothers shield dissolving into “A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...” is a rather disconcerting experience. The absence of an opening crawl – to say what it’s been replaced with would be an unfair spoiler – and slightly remixed theme tune do nothing but add to the suspicion that The Clone Wars comes from a very different place to the live-action movies.

But make no mistake, as soon as you’re plunged into the heart of a Jedi vs battledroids confrontation on a distant world, this is pure, unadulterated Star Wars. The characters may be heavily stylised CG caricatures of the saga’s heroes and villains, but the essence of George Lucas’s creation remains in a movie that bests at least two of the prequels. Indeed, The Clone Wars’ brand of simplistic, action-heavy storytelling is a fantastic breath of fresh air after the complex political machinations that bogged down much of Episodes I and II.

The film’s biggest strength is that it’s clearly been made by fans for fans. It’s easy to picture planning meetings dissolving into sessions of “Wouldn’t it be cool if...” particularly when Anakin leads a vertical assault on a distant temple, clone troopers and giant walkers scaling a massive cliff as Separatist fire rains down on them. The movie is packed with sequences that more than hold their own against their live-action equivalents.

And while it’s hardly Apocalypse Now, Clone Wars doesn’t sanitise the violence. Some scenes are surprisingly brutal: a battledroid grabbing a trooper by the neck before shooting him point blank is up there with the charred corpses of Luke’s aunt and uncle in the Star Wars pantheon of unpleasantness. This is the Clone Wars as many fans of the original trilogy wanted to see them, much closer to the prequels that existed in our heads than The Phantom Menace turned out to be.

As a curtain-raiser to the upcoming Clone Wars TV series – set to continue filling the gaps between Episodes II and III – this is an impressive statement of intent. The CG proves surprisingly effective, with the cast’s cartoony, almost puppet-like appearance perfectly suiting the material. The animation may not possess Pixar levels of complexity – probably impossible when you’ve eventually got to churn out weekly episodes – but with its vibrant colour scheme and simple, get-to-the-point dialogue, The Clone Wars is straight out of the comic-book school of storytelling. Needless to say, the hardware and spaceships look fantastic – you have to look very hard to see where what you see here differs from the (admittedly just as CG) equivalents in the prequels.

Although the mention of protecting shipping lanes through the Outer Rim conjures unpleasant memories of Trade Federation blockades, the plot involving the kidnap of Jabba the Hutt’s son rarely lets the excitement levels dip – in fact, the action’s so relentless that come the final quarter you might find yourself begging for a breather. Slug Jr proves an ingenious McGuffin, both a convincing reason for conflict between the Republic and Count Dooku’s Separatists (both sides want to keep Jabba onside) and a brilliant plot device for exploring the relationship between future Vader Anakin Skywalker and his new Padawan learner, Ahsoka Tano, when they have to play nursemaid.

That the character stuff works as well as it does is a welcome surprise. Cartoon Anakin proves to be a much more likeable character than the Hayden Christensen version, suggesting he might become the rogue-ish Han Solo character the prequels lacked, while one glance between Anakin and secret missus Padme, shared via hologram, conveys more sexual chemistry than any number of musings about the romantic properties of sand.

The newbies, too, fare well, with the impetuous Ahsoka mostly avoiding the annoying qualities that are usually the hallmark of a screen sidekick, and Asajj Ventress displaying plenty of menace and her fair share of skill with a lightsaber. Even the usually faceless clones are given a chance to develop, with their different haircuts (some of them hilarious) suggesting they’ve grown individual personalities. Above all The Clone Wars is fun. Sure, a few gags fall flat, but this gets back to the adventure serial roots that first inspired George Lucas all those years ago. The kid in you will love it.

El Chuxter
07-31-2008, 06:24 PM
I'll believe my own eyes over a British magazine that seems to give glowing reviews to everything. ;)

You'll never convince me to not skip this mess, John! Unless you show me footage that's been kept secret that shows Jaxxon and Teek saving Anakin's butt, I will not be moved! :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-31-2008, 10:17 PM
I'll believe my own eyes over a British magazine that seems to give glowing reviews to everything. ;)

You'll never convince me to not skip this mess, John! Unless you show me footage that's been kept secret that shows Jaxxon and Teek saving Anakin's butt, I will not be moved! :D
What if Ahsoka turns out to be Racer X? ;) :D

El Chuxter
07-31-2008, 11:46 PM
That's not possible because Racer X is secretly Speed's older brother Rex who ran away many years ago, and Speed does not know this because Racer X has not told him he is really his older brother Rex.

2-1B
08-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Also because people will actually go and see this one.

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 04:52 AM
And don't miss the attempt at hilarity when an apparently retarded Clonetrooper punches a Battle Droid in the face and breaks his hand, then jumps around like a goon while shaking his hand and getting blasted in the process.Ouch, that was the eyebrow-raiser for me.

Well, he was probably at the front, in the press area. Just to clarify, there is no "press area" at Comic-Con, the press often just makes sure they get their early enough to steal as much of the front rows as possible. If, like me, you don't get there early enough, you simply don't get into the panel to cover it, so their marketing product goes to waste as outlets that fuel their product don't cover their material.

Also because people will actually go and see this one.Well, that calls for the one I made for my SW Battlefront II forums, though it loses effectiveness not being displayed inline:
OH SNAP! (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bizohsnappy1.jpg)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2008, 07:37 PM
At the end of the TV commercial for CW, when Dooku says his line "Surrender of die," does anyone else think that he'll follow that up with "I'll take 'The Rapists' for two-hundred, Trebek"? :rolleyes: :That'sTherapists,YouIdiot: Sounds like a bad Sean Connery impersonation, to me. And Yoda doesn't even use Yoda-speak? I've read the novel, but I'll still see the movie opening day. Might just be once. (like the Johnny Dangerously Joe Piscopo line?)

Tycho
08-09-2008, 08:11 AM
I guess I'm going with the San Diego Star Wars crew (my collecting buddies) to a midnight show. I wasn't going to do that, but my friends planned it and I'm mostly going to enjoy their commradery as they all have families now and I'm mostly alone these days. Life has moved on for the rest of the gang and things are different from when we were in college and could spend evenings on "stakeouts" at Toys R Us while we waited for them to unload a truck.

jonthejedi
08-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Pick up the new TV Guide with a CD-ROM which contains both theatrical trailers, a 5min. clip of the temple assault scene...and more surprises. Enjoy.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-10-2008, 03:36 PM
At the end of the TV commercial for CW, when Dooku says his line "Surrender of die," does anyone else think that he'll follow that up with "I'll take 'The Rapists' for two-hundred, Trebek"? :rolleyes: :That'sTherapists,YouIdiot: Sounds like a bad Sean Connery impersonation, to me. And Yoda doesn't even use Yoda-speak? I've read the novel, but I'll still see the movie opening day. Might just be once. (like the Johnny Dangerously Joe Piscopo line?)
Whorm Loathsom sounds quite a bit like Sean Connery. I think that "Surrender or die" line is from Corey Burton rather than Christopher Lee, so it's either from the series or an older take.

jedibear
08-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Picked up the score today...
First impressions....it is different from anything Williams ever did, that's for sure. I'm not real impressed so far, but I'll reserve judegment until I hear it in the context of the film.

Reviews aren't glowing, but the usual suspects (fan-oriented sites and "Empire") are kinder. My personal expectations are low...I'm just looking forward to seeing it on the big screen...it is SW after all, albeit a new take on it.

We'll see on friday...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-15-2008, 02:50 AM
I just got back and for the most part, I enjoyed it. I thought the banter and exchanges between Anakin and Ahsoka were REALLY overdone and kind annoying; on the other hand, the droid humor was hilarious to me.

Overall, I thought it was fun and exciting and i'm looking forward to the TV show as well. :thumbsup:

Tycho
08-15-2008, 06:15 AM
I saw it tonight with a big group of Star Wars friends (9 of us ventured into this altogether).

The theater wasn't even 1/4 full. There was no big turnout for this at the cineplex we chose - for one of the only all-digital presentations.

The Clone vs. Droid fights were awesome, and I like how Rex, Cody, and Oddball were incorporated into this.

I was surprised that Christopher Lee voiced Count Dooku. That was nice continuity. Returning of course was Anthony Daniels. I think there was someone else from the live-action film cast as well. I'm pretty sure that the guy who voiced Obi-Wan in the Cartoon Network series reprised his role. He sounded right-on. Anakin was a new voice-actor, I think.

John Williams went a bit rock 'n roll with this one. Did someone buy him Guitar Hero? Definitely different for Williams, but I liked the change, except for the way the Star Wars main theme was played. He should have kept with that being in his traditional style.

I like the old freighter that Anakin used to fly the Hutt baby away from the B'Omarr Monastary. I know Lego made that ship. I wouldn't mind if Hasbro does. When the Vultcher Droid Fighters were persuing it back to the Star Destroyer, the animators did an awesome space fight sequence.

But all this is not going to make me go out and buy the Clone Wars figures and toys, though I'd like to display Obi-Wan versus Asajj Ventress - preferably with realistic figures though.

Nice block by Anakin in fending off Dooku's Force-lightning this time.

I too found Ashoka annoying. I'm sorry to say this, but when she dies, I don't think I'll miss her.

Yoda and Jabba looked way more cartoony than many of the other characters. It was an odd mix of anime and realism. I preferred the realism this time. Some characters like Luminara (during her brief and silent appearance) looked VERY real.

Oh - it was Samuel L. Jackson who also starred in this, voicing Mace Windu! That was also very cool. I wonder if he'll appear more in the series?

Did Frank Oz do Yoda? I don't recall whether or not.

Anyway, I WOULD DEFINITELY see this in the theater. It's pretty exciting, interesting, and fun. Of course it doesn't hold a candle to The Dark Knight, but no one expected to. A lot of other animated films have better stories as well. Since this is between movie episodes 2 & 3, it's a given that the plot can't go anywhere. But Ventress is made to seem very dangerous to Obi-Wan at one point, but then he establishes his dominance.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Tycho- my theater was also relatively empty, probably about 30 people, max. There were a few guys dressed up as Jedi and sith and a few vaders, stormtroopers, etc.

and John Williams didn't do the score for the film; I believe hte composers name was Kevin Kiner or something like that. :thumbsup:

preacher
08-15-2008, 11:43 AM
I don't get the Ahsoka/Anakin relationship. Is she his Padawan? That makes no since. The whole reason Anakiin was tempted in ROTS was in part because of his frustration and annoyance with being put on the council but not granted the title of master. If the council didn't trust him enough to be a master why would they trust him to give instruction to a "youngling". On the face of it, this seems like a huge contradiction. Was this explained, and did the explanation seem reasonable?

Its for these sorts of lucas "reinventions", or at least the perception of them, that I don't plan to spend 8 bucks to see this. I don't care how kick *** the fight sequences between the CIS and clones happens to be. After Indy IV my gaurd is up.

Tycho
08-15-2008, 10:59 PM
A padawan calls ALL adult Jedi a Master, as do most civilians and clones.

Anakin probably wouldn't be "an official" master until he successfully trained a padawan. That's the difference between a Knight and a Master, I imagine.

That is my opinion. I am comfortable with it.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-19-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't get the Ahsoka/Anakin relationship. Is she his Padawan? That makes no since. The whole reason Anakiin was tempted in ROTS was in part because of his frustration and annoyance with being put on the council but not granted the title of master. If the council didn't trust him enough to be a master why would they trust him to give instruction to a "youngling". On the face of it, this seems like a huge contradiction. Was this explained, and did the explanation seem reasonable?

Its for these sorts of lucas "reinventions", or at least the perception of them, that I don't plan to spend 8 bucks to see this. I don't care how kick *** the fight sequences between the CIS and clones happens to be. After Indy IV my gaurd is up.I think they assigned her to him in hopes that it would help him. By seeing the recklessness in her, he might see the recklessness in himself. There was also a line Yoda said about how Anakin would need to learn to let go when she is no longer his padawan.

bigbarada
08-20-2008, 12:36 AM

Its for these sorts of lucas "reinventions", or at least the perception of them, that I don't plan to spend 8 bucks to see this. I don't care how kick *** the fight sequences between the CIS and clones happens to be. After Indy IV my gaurd is up.

Anakin actually says that the idea of him getting a Padawan makes no sense, so he would agree with you.:p

A single line that puts a band-aid over a major plot hole; but the reasoning will have to be explained in more detail later on if this is to fit seamlessly with Ep3. Personally, though, I don't care. Anakin's turn in Ep3 was completely contrived and unconvincing. So I'm willing to let Lucas rewrite as much of the prequels as he wants.