PDA

View Full Version : It looks like Hoth here...

bobafrett
02-14-2007, 08:40 AM
.....but at least it's not as bad as New York! We got quite a bit of snow yesterday here in Illinois. I had to shovel the sidewalk several times yesterday. And at Wal-Mart we had a team of 10+ employees out pushing carts through the early snow which was already fairly deep.

CaptainSolo1138
02-14-2007, 10:09 AM
You guys pretty much took it on the chin with this storm, frett. I couldn't believe how many flights were canceled at O'Hare and Midway before the storm even go there! Craziness, I tells ya! Craziness!

Speaking with mabs on AIM this morning, he was telling me about the TWO FEET of snow they got last night. I was intrigued enough that I found his local radio channel online and was listening to the mayhem all morning at work. Craziness, I tells ya! Craziness!

Kidhuman
02-14-2007, 10:12 AM
This is why I dont watch the news anymore. Its too depressing

DarthQuack
02-14-2007, 10:47 AM
This is why I dont watch the news anymore. Its too depressing

Yea, you're lucky you don't have to go to a station and work there all day....after driving through 2 feet of snow!

Kidhuman
02-14-2007, 10:51 AM
I would rather drive through 2 feet of snow than an inch of ice.

JEDIpartner
02-14-2007, 11:31 AM
We got about 14" of snow on the west side of Cleveland. We usually don't get that much. The problem is more the massive drifting!! We had a 20-foot long drift across the entire width of our pad and it started at 3 feet deep and the part that hit the garage door was 5 1/2 feet deep! It took me two hours to get through that. The snowblower decided it had enough and stopped working and it wasn't doing that great of a job anyhow since the snow was so deep. Well, once I got that sorted, I called into work to let them know I may or may not be in. Well, my neighbour, who is a CWRU professor, saw me tackling the apron of our drive. The city buried each one in 3 1/2 feet of packed snow. The snow was packed 3 feet on the road, the apron and past the sidewalk! Terrible!!! So, between Jim and me-- and eventually Lou, we managed to get that cleared in about 45 minutes.

Lou got a call from his supervisor telling him to call all of his employees to let them know work was called-off. CWRU works at was closed today, so Jim's not going in. Most of the city is closed today and I have to work. Nice. The one manager who DID manage to show up is mad because most of my department didn't show up today. I'm glad I ended up coming in. It looks good on my record. LOL

Well, I managed to get to work in 20 minutes once I got on the highway. I had to blast my horn at some bint in her SUV. She'd been driving for two miles neck-and-neck with a van and they were blocking the highway. Idiots. Eventually, she moved ahead of the van and rolled her window down. She yelled something at me, so I rolled down mine. She yelled, "What the hell is your problem?" I retorted, "What the hell is YOUR problem? If you are driving the same speed as the vehicle next to you, get in front or behind him! Don't block the only other open lane! Besides... you're in an SUV and I'm in a little Mazda. Why can't you manage to drive better or faster?" She shouted a "**** you" at me and I told her that was a lame non-answer to my question and then moved on. LOL

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Greetings from a snowed over Toledo, OH! We got about 8-15'' here. It's pretty horrific driving conditions. I'm a grad student at UT and they closed yesterday and today! woo woo! hehehee :thumbsup: Sadly, with a level three, you can't go out (legally) and i wanted to rent a movie or three.

Maybe i'll walk? Psh!

and seriously, JP, take deep breaths, and don't lash out in anger. :crazed:

Slicker
02-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Pfffttt...screw that mess. Lash out all you want. Ignorance deserves to be called out by name.

EDIT: I didn't get any snow in Virginia Beach.

JEDIpartner
02-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Pfffttt...screw that mess. Lash out all you want. Ignorance deserves to be called out by name.

Seriously... the roads are bad enough without someone making poor decisions behind the wheel and making things worse for people who aren't having as many issues driving.

JEDIpartner
02-14-2007, 12:23 PM
"It feels like Hoth out here... so put all your clothes on... It is feeling just like Hoth... I wanna ride a Taun Taun..." :crazed:

JimJamBonds
02-14-2007, 12:29 PM
"It feels like Hoth out here... so put all your clothes on... It is feeling just like Hoth... I wanna ride a Taun Taun..." :crazed:

About two weeks ago the 'warmest' it got was over the course of 6-7 days was about 6 (not counting wind chill). The low was something like -18 (again not counting wind chill), both Caesar and myself made several Hoth comments. :p

JEDIpartner
02-14-2007, 12:55 PM
I know!!! That's the way it was in Cleveland all last week!!!

El Chuxter
02-14-2007, 01:21 PM

Goldangit, JP, you beat me to it!!

jjreason
02-14-2007, 01:44 PM
I took valentine's day off work, and the only special treatment I've received from my significant other so far has been being sent out to shovel for an hour... :whip:

we got about a foot here, but it's the nice light stuff. :thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
02-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Goldangit, JP, you beat me to it!!

What can I say, man? I saw and I had to seize the moment!! Hope you don't hate me too much for it.

El Chuxter
02-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Nah, not too much.

:p

JEDIpartner
02-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Nah, not too much.

:p

Bueno! :pleased:

bobafrett
02-14-2007, 06:00 PM
My son wanted to practice driving in the snow. We took the car out and all the streets were plowed already. We managed to find a parking lot that was snow covered still so we went and did donuts, and practiced getting out of a fishtail or skid situation. I'm not sure what the total snowfall was here. as we had a lot of drifting. My driveway was practically free of snow but it was all found in a big drift on the other side of my house.

Rocketboy
02-14-2007, 06:28 PM
I got a dusting here, but new comic day had to be pushed back until tomorrow. Apparently, the shipment is in Ohio right now and it took 24 hours to get there from New York.

I was intrigued enough that I found his local radio channel online and was listening to the mayhem all morning at work. Craziness, I tells ya! Craziness!I tried that once. Too many "aboot"s and "eh"s in there.

CaptainSolo1138
02-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I tried that once. Too many "aboot"s and "eh"s in there.That's actually what I planned on hearing, but it the DJ had a very American accent. Not a single "aboot". Which sucks because he said "out and about" about 20 times.

Dar' Argol
02-15-2007, 01:30 AM
We got it pretty bad here to on Pennsyltucky. The worst part was that we got snow . . then sleet and freezing rain . . then snow again. So you can imagine its a mess.

Oh and JP, I was thinking about you last night. Apparently there was a NBC affiliate standing outside of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and I said to my wife, "That's out near JP!! I saw that!!" good to hear all is well and BTW, I did get that job!! WOOT!!!

JEDIpartner
02-15-2007, 10:51 AM
I passed a gas station yesterday evening and the canopy had collapsed onto three cars! That was insane!!!

Kidhuman
02-15-2007, 10:59 AM
D'oh, lucky the pumps didnt explode.

JEDIpartner
02-15-2007, 01:24 PM
No doubt!!

Dar' Argol
02-15-2007, 02:07 PM
D'oh, lucky the pumps didnt explode.

Might have been warmer though if they did . . .

JEDIpartner
02-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Three cars, betch!! THREE CARS!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

mabudonicus
02-15-2007, 02:33 PM
MAN it's harsh out there, just got back from a bicycle ride through the chaos..

Somehow the main roads are actually worse than the sidestreets, can't figure out why

We got roughly 3 feet of snow in my area, we supposedly got more than anywheres else from this last bit, even places less than an hour away got a literal dusting where we got HAMMERED... I spent a couple hours shovelling and am REAL sore today- glad that rain is in the forecast for monday tho, then everything will be A-OK again :beard:Isobaws&

Qui-Long Gone
02-15-2007, 11:50 PM
We've even got snow here in West Texas.....people were driving on the ice roads like a Lucas script: all over the map ... crashing into each other.....racing to get no where....****ing me off.....not paying attention....introducing CG characters that had no business being in the films....oh, wait, sorry about the rant.....:lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed:

I wonder how those meetings on Global Warming are going:whip:

El Chuxter
02-15-2007, 11:57 PM
It was cold here today. I think it got down to the high 50s.

Blue2th
02-16-2007, 12:14 AM
I wonder how those meetings on Global Warming are going:whip:
I think I heard Pat Robertson and Rush Limbagh say almost the same thing..........I mostly get mad at people in the passing lane in their 2-wheel drives driving slow in the passing lane, whilst me in my 4-wheel drive is right behind wondering when the imbicile is going to get out of my way.

JEDIpartner
02-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Then there was me wondering that about the bint in her SUV that was doing that.

2-1B
02-16-2007, 05:56 PM
"It's getting Hoth in herrre, so take off all your clothes,
I am getting so Hoth, I'm gonna take my clothes off"

CaptainSolo1138
02-16-2007, 06:18 PM
"It's getting Hoth in herrre, so take off all your clothes,
I am getting so Hoth, I'm gonna take my clothes off"Holy carp, Caes. That's pretty much the funniest thing ever and TOTALLY blows open this thread. I'd jump on it and post lyrics of my own, but only one song comes to mind and "Hoth for Teacher" just ain't that funny.

El Chuxter
02-16-2007, 06:29 PM
I wasn't going to point it out, but JP said basically the same thing a few days ago. :p

2-1B
02-16-2007, 06:30 PM
how about David Johansen aka Buster Poindexter singing "Feeling Hoth Hoth Hoth" ? :confused:

I wasn't going to point it out, but JP said basically the same thing a few days ago. :p

Sorry, I must have skipped a page. :(

I almost typed "It's getting on in herre so put on all your clothes" but I didn't know if anyone would get it.

El Chuxter
02-16-2007, 06:33 PM
"It's too Hoth, too Hoth, too Hoth, baby."

Blue2th
02-16-2007, 07:00 PM
I almost typed "It's getting on in herre so put on all your clothes" but I didn't know if anyone would get it.
You mean "It's getting Hoth in/out here, so put on all your clothes" I would have gotten it. :thumbsup: I think we were singin' the other simular verse last summer in another thread about how hot it was.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-23-2007, 05:22 PM
I rode my Taun-Taun to work over the last three weeks. Luckily, it didn't freeze after reaching the first marker.

I shoveled a driveway by myself that had at least 10 inches of snow on it. :yes: Thank You! Thank You!

The wind is the real beyatch. It creates drift as JP said that after shoveling, makes it look like you did nothing to your driveway. The blowing snow also stings worse than falling snow and makes the outside unpleasant.

bobafrett
02-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Most of the snow has melted here. We had a few nice days in the mid 40's, but now it's back to the cold, with the forecasters saying snow, rain, freezing rain, and sleet starting tomorrow morning. Luckily I don't have to drive for my pizza job as the city came by and shut us down due to our permits not being in order.

Kidhuman
02-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Admit it Frett, it was Rats like KFC in NYC.

bobafrett
02-23-2007, 08:11 PM
No, no, no, our store very clean, no dirty, no rats, all good, employees wash hands after potty time, we run verty clean operation, city inspectors just want kick back.

CaptainSolo1138
02-23-2007, 11:11 PM
I was just getting used to the snow melting from the last few "nice" days we've had (~35 F or 2 C for our northern neighbors) and now we're supposed* to get 6+ inches this weekend (insert "Slicker's mom" joke here).

*I don't trust weather men any further than I can throw them, so I'll believe it when I see it.