PDA

View Full Version : Grindhouse

El Chuxter
02-16-2007, 12:50 PM
This movie is so going to rock.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/grindhouse.html;_ylt=AqGU6H.TsIYhBIfpVBCPWgpfVXcA

Rose McGowan with a machine gun for a prosthetic leg may be the coolest ****ing thing in film history. I'm looking forward to this far more than Transformers, and I'm not even really a Tarantino fan.

UKWildcat
02-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Yea, this movie is going to kick major arse!!! One of the movies I am looking forward to most this year.

Quentin Taratino and Robert Rodriguez? 'nuf said!!!

El Chuxter
02-16-2007, 01:02 PM
If I ever have a sex change operation, I want to have Robert Rodriguez's kids. He could even make gold out of something as seemingly dumb as Spy Kids.

UKWildcat
02-16-2007, 01:11 PM
:eek:

Ummm...uhh... not gonna touch that one. lol

But really, I've never seen any of the Spy Kids movies so I'm not sure about that. He is a damned fine director though, and I'm sure you all would have beautiful kids. ;)

2-1B
02-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I lost all respect for Rose McGowan after she bedded down with that thing, Marilyn Manson. :dead: To think she actually married the freak, WTF? :confused:
I dug her in Scream, I thought she was a really fresh actress but she quickly turned skank. :(

However, the movie DOES have Freddy Rodriguez, Kurt Russell, Michael Biehn, Jeff Fahey, Tom Savini, and Bill Moseley so I agree it is going to rock. :grin:

General_Grievous
02-16-2007, 08:56 PM
However, the movie DOES have Michael Biehn

Michael Biehn is ALIVE? Hooray! :razz: :razz: :razz:

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to this as well, as I'm a fan of both Tarantino and Rodriguez. I especially love when they work together. I'm expecting this one will be more reminiscent of "From Dusk Till Dawn" than "Sin City".

JetsAndHeels
02-16-2007, 09:20 PM
If Tarantino has anything to do with it at all, I go to see it.

I can't wait for April when this comes out.

plasticfetish
02-20-2007, 03:02 AM
Saw the trailer today on the big screen, and it looks f***ing great!

That's it... great.

DarthQuack
02-20-2007, 08:56 AM
I can't wait for this movie as well, hopefully it'll make a boatload of money.

Ji'dai
02-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Grindhouse definitely looks good. I read somewhere they're inserting trailers for fictional spaghetti westerns and 70's kung-fu movies.

El Chuxter
02-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Grindhouse definitely looks good. I read somewhere they're inserting trailers for fictional spaghetti westerns and 70's kung-fu movies.

Yeah, the shot of the guy holding up the machete is from one such fake trailer, entitled (surprisingly) "Machete."

plasticfetish
02-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Between the two segments will be trailers advertising fake films. In an interview with Danny Trejo, the actor said that he will be in a fake trailer for a movie called They Call Him Machete, obviously a reference to Trejo's character of the same name in Rodriguez' Spy Kids series. Trejo's other characters in Rodriguez movies have also had names similar to knives, such as Razor Charlie in From Dusk Till Dawn. According to Fangoria, Rob Zombie is shooting a faux trailer called Werewolf Women of the S.S., featuring Nicolas Cage as Fu Manchu, Udo Kier as SS officer Franz Hess, and Zombie's wife, Sheri Moon Zombie, and Sybil Danning as SS officers/sisters Eva and Gretchen Krupp. Eli Roth's contribution (in addition to an onscreen cameo in Death Proof) will be a promo for the slasher opus Thanksgiving. Shaun of the Dead director Edgar Wright is also directing a trailer, although the title and subject have not been released.

General_Grievous
03-09-2007, 07:58 PM
New trailer, folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9GOyle6YqA

Even though Rose McGowan has a slimy past with Marilyn Manson, I still think she looks hot in this.

preacher
03-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Skipping this one. The trailer didn't interest me in the least.

2-1B
03-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Seeing the trailer on TV, I am interested in it less...that machine gun leg is really goofy.

We'll see.

plasticfetish
03-24-2007, 12:14 PM
that machine gun leg is really goofy.Which... is the whole point.

2-1B
03-24-2007, 12:17 PM
No kidding.

I didn't mean it was good goofy, but rather bad goofy. That was my point.

plasticfetish
03-24-2007, 12:58 PM
You're bad goofy! :razz:

I dunno man, a chick w/ a machine gun leg, zombies, explosions... I thought you might be down for this one.

What do you think about Death Proof?

UKWildcat
03-24-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm still down with this one. :thumbsup:

If it were done by anyone other than Tarantino and Rodriguez (and company), then I'd be skeptical. Since they are involved, I'm not.

2-1B
03-24-2007, 02:23 PM
You're bad goofy! :razz:

Thank you. :D

I dunno man, a chick w/ a machine gun leg, zombies, explosions... I thought you might be down for this one.

Hey Meat Loaf, don't be sad - cuz two out of three ain't bad. lol
I might like it still, I'll definitely see it but I don't know about that machine gun leg. ;)

What do you think about Death Proof?

It's got me curious. :grin:

JON9000
03-27-2007, 05:20 PM
I think I am going to wait for this on DVD and watch them separately, if at all. 180 minutes of mind-numbing mayhem is a little much. I hold my breath when Tarantino and Rodriguez team up. I thought "Dusk til Dawn" was a lousy experiment, "Four Rooms" was awful, and "Sin City"'s worst moment was when del Toro's head started spouting Tarantino gibberish in the middle of the story.

Real "grindhouse" films are generally lousy in every sense of the word. There are some weird really bad films out there in the world; "I Spit on Your Grave", "Caligula", "Reform School Girls". I am not quite sure how one develops a taste for that aesthetic, much less a wild-eyed adulation. I was attracted to lurid subject matter and over-the-top violence when I was 10 years old. The idea of watching a movie just because "a lot of people die in really rad ways, dude" doesn't appeal to me much anymore.

But hey, lots of people worship "The Devil's Rejects", so what do I know?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Just got back from seeing it and loved it!! It was 3 hours of gore, action, zombies, car cashes, some sex and great camera work, etc. I enjoyed "Planet Death" more as i'm a huge zombie fan, but "Death Proof" was pretty solid. DP was Tarantino, so there was a lot more dialogue and i was kind iffy for a few minutes, but once it got going, it was pretty awesome.

The previews were HYSTERICAL and I do hope that nobody misses any of them. "Machete" was great, "Thanksgiving" was HYSTERICAL (the scene with michael biehn in this trailer was so funny), "Werewolf Women of the SS" was very good (with a GREAT cameo for Fumanchu), and "Don't" was great as well.

Overall, a pretty enjoyable three hours, if that's your bag. :thumbsup:

P.S.- if you have to hit the can, do so at the beginning of "Death Proof" as you won't miss much and there isn't anything after the credits, you don't need to stick around.

JetsAndHeels
04-06-2007, 03:38 PM
I enjoyed it too. I think I laughed more at this feature than I did at some "comedy" films. It had a great mix of everything.

General_Grievous
04-06-2007, 06:06 PM
I just saw the movie. I wasn't expecting it to be that good, but damned if I didn't have that much fun at the movies in a long time. The whole thing reeked of Rodriguez and Tarantino, which was why I loved it. I'm even sporting a 'tar from it. I'm going to review this like I did with Sin City: in pieces.

Planet Terror
Rose McGowan is smokin' HAWT!!! That was an impressive dance routine. Once you see that, you know you're in for some ride. The beginning scene with Bruce Willis, Sayid, and the testicles made me kick my popcorn aside. I wasn't going to eat again anytime soon. El Ray was pretty badass, but he was only outdone by Michael Biehn. He was really rockin' it in this one. What was the deal with the doctor's kid shooting himself in the head? It actually got a laugh from the audience. It was kind of morbidly humorous. It was funny that the reel magically went missing in the middle of the love scene. :p It should also be noted that Planet Terror had a great soundtrack. It actually sounded like a '70s horror flick. This was my favorite out of the two films, but not by much.

Death Proof
This one was classic Tarantino, and by that I mean a lot of dialogue. It wasn't boring dialogue, but there sure was a lot of it. Some trimming of it wouldn't have hurt, but...whatever. Kurt Russell was alright as Stuntman Mike, but he didn't seem evil enough. I read that Mickey Rourke was originally cast as Mike, and maybe it would have been a little better with him, but Kurt was still okay. I loved the little nod they threw in to CGI car crashes and how Mike didn't like it. I figured then that we were in for the real deal, not some fake Fast and the Furious BS. That car crash in which he killed all four girls was intense. Rosario Dawson was great in it. I also thought the girl in the cheerleader outfit was hot, but we never found out what happened to her. I thought there'd be a scene after the credits, but no dice. The best part of Death Proof was the showdown between Mike and the girls, and how they beat the living crap out of him afterwards. It was so incredibly cheesy how Rosario cracked his neck. :D

and last but not least...

The Trailers
"Machete" was my favorite. Nothing beat the "Where's my wife and daughter?" part. :D "Werewolf Women of the SS" was actually a bit disappointing. Maybe it was the fact that it wasn't long enough and edited to pieces. The Nic Cage cameo was good, even though it was random as hell. The "Don't" trailer had everyone laughing. I had no idea it was Will Arnett who supplied the voice-over until I got home and checked imdb. I loved the "Thanksgiving" trailer, which also had everyone laughing, from the randomness of the half-naked cheerleader on the trampoline to the headless body walking around for thirty seconds. I loved the end clip where I'm pretty sure I saw someone humping the turkey. :p

I hope that they release director's cut DVDs that reinstate the "missing reels". I know they were added in for fun, but how do we know that the missing footage wasn't filmed? Either way, I'll definitely pick it up on DVD. I think I read that there will be two individual DVDs: one of "Planet Terror" and another of "Death Proof". Unless those are the director's cut DVDs and the normal version will be the one seen in theaters. Overall, I loved the movie, but it's sad because it will never be as fun seeing it for a second time.

UKWildcat
04-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Glad to hear that you all are really enjoying this movie. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it, but -

I read an article in this months issue of Playboy where Rob Zombie highly recommends that one should see these 5 films before checking out Grindhouse:

1. Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS (1975)
2. Coffy (1973)
3. The Last House of the Left (1972)
4. Cannibal Holocaust (1980) <-- Going to skip this one
5. Faster, Pu**ycat! Kill! Kill! (1965)

I'm going to try and take Zombies advice and rent these (with exception to C Holocaust) before seeing the Grindhouse in the theater. Should be fun! :thumbsup:

2-1B
04-07-2007, 01:15 AM
I've seen Last House and Cannibal Holocaust and don't need to ever watch them again.

I can't believe I watched I Spit on Your Grave a second time. :hurt:

Rocketboy
04-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Saw Grindhouse last night.

Planet Terror had it all: intentionally bad acting, hot chicks, explosions, great-terrible effects, explosions, "Hey, I know that guy from something" actors, explosions, over-the-top violence and gore, explosions, "missing reel," explosions, comedy, explosions, ect.

The trailers were hilarious and I would love to see Machete, Thanksgiving, and Werewolf Women of the SS. There is talk of actually getting some of them made into movies. Grindhouse 2?

Death Proof proves that Tarantino is one of the most overrated writer/directors out there. It was so damn boring that right up until the final chase scene I was ready to leave the theater. I'm a Kevin Smith fan, so I can put up with tons of dialogue, but it has to be interesting and engaging. Death Proof's looooooong first half was insanely boring and the car scene, even though it was great, was not nearly a good enough payoff. Then the 2nd half of the dialogue was even worse. It really could have used about 20 minutes of editing. The only good thing about DP was the car chase, revenge, and ending. That was great stuff, but having to sit through the rest was too painful to make it worth it. If I get the DVD, I can't see myself watching anything more than the last part of DP.

I would give it a 4 out of 6. 2 stars for the awesomeness of Planet Terror, 2 stars for more awesomeness of the trailers, and 0 starts for the absolute crap that was Death Proof.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Saw this at BD and thought i'd post it.

Harvey Weinstein told me this morning that he's "incredibly disappointed" with the half-than-expected $12 mil box office for Grindhouse released on Easter Weekend (a controversial move itself). So much so, that he's considering abandoning the double feature as a single feature concept and re-releasing the Quentin Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez movie around the U.S. "in a couple of weeks" as two separate feature-length movies with additional footage put in. That's what Harvey says The Weinstein Co. is already intending to do with the film's release in Europe: split it into two separate pics, Tarantino's Death Proof and Rodriguez's Planet Terror. "Quentin's movie goes out first in competition at Cannes. He'll do an extensive 4 to 5 month tour. And the trailer will be all Quentin's," Weinstein told me about his European plans. "Then we'll release Robert's a couple of months later. By splitting it up, we're going to do a hell of a lot better internationally than we did here." Weinstein noted that, even in Grindhouse's video deal as well as its TV deal with Starz Entertainment Group, it's been sold as two separate movies. "Our deal with Encore is that they can play it any way they want." So this is why The Weinstein Co. is now deciding to suck it up and do in this country what it probably should have done all along. "First of all, I'm incredibly disappointed. We tried to do something new and obviously we didn't do it that well," Harvey told me today. "It's just a question of how is it going to hang in there. But we could split the movies in a couple of weeks. Make Tarantino's a full-length film, and Rodriguez's too. We'll be adding those 'two missing reels' that's talked about in the movie." (At one point in Grindhouse, a sex scene is interrupted because of "two missing reels" -- one of the many conceits and indulgences.)

Weinstein pointed to several reasons why Grindhouse did so poorly in theaters over Easter weekend. "Our research showed the length kept people away. It was the single biggest deterrent. It was 3 hours and 12 minutes long. We originally intended to get it all in in 2 hours, 30 minutes. That would have been a better time. But the movies ran longer, the [fake] trailers ran longer, everything ran longer," Harvey told me. Weinstein also criticized his own marketing plan. "We didn't educate the South or Midwest. In the West and the East, the movie played well. It played well in strong urban settings. But we missed the boat on the Midwest and the South." But he denies other's thinking that the Grindhouse subject matter was too foreign for mainstream audiences in mainstream theaters. He's wrong, of course. (In many theaters, before the pic began, the house lights went up and an usher came out to tell audiences that Grindhouse was designed to look old and scratched and to have "missing reels", and that the intermission, including the fake trailers, was also part of the movie, so nobody need complain to the management. Obviously the managements had received some complaints at earlier shows -- astonishing, given the hoopla this film has been given.) Yet The Weinstein Co. wouldn't give the film to actual Grindhouses, or even the Grindhouse Film Festival, to screen and create buzz. That may be one reason the advance tracking on the film prior to Friday was only so-so. The hype seems to have been all Internet-generated, which is why New Line's Snakes On A Plane flopped.

Weinstein admitted spending at least $30 million on U.S. promotion and advertising for Grindhouse, which, added to what I'd already heard was a $67+ mil budget and not the low-50s cost he has claimed, makes this a $100 mil movie. So the first weekend's take of just $12 mil is all the more disastrous. On the other hand, Harvey (and independent observers) says the movie is heavily pre-sold overseas and expects it to do well there. That's not surprising, since many movies recently (Babel, Apocalypto) have run out of gas here only to pump up the total with international box office. But a re-release in the U.S. could prove almost prohibitively costly for The Weinstein Co.: new prints, new marketing, new everything. It may nto be worth it, especially with Spider-man 3 and the rest of this summer's tentpole onslaught is just around the corner.

Weinstein admits that he thought the film would do much better than it did and sees the failure of Grindhouse's U.S. release as a rap on his reputation for movie savvy. He can't blame the directors. After all, he is closely tied to Tarantino and Rodriquez personally and professionally and, what's more, he and brother Bob made that relationship and Grindhouse a cornerstone of their fledgling company's financing. (No doubt, that's why Harvey, who has a long history of imposing his iron will on filmmakers, gave the two directors a pass when it came to Grindhouse's extreme length.)

But Harvey is adamant that the flop will not be a body blow to The Weinstein Co., even though it's still a fledgling firm in business since only 2005. "We're smart businessmen. Thank God, we protected ourselves economically. I've spent the last year diversifying the company. We're making profits everywhere but the movie business. But on DVD sales, we're doing well," he claims. The Weinstein Company's diversified investments include the home video company Genius Products, the private online community aSmallWorld, the cable TV hit show Project Runway, the independent cable channel Ovation, and, most recently, the Halston fashion brand. Harvey admitted to me that his attention may have been too diverted from the movie biz as a result. "This Cannes, I'm going to change all that. I'm back to being me. We wanted to diversify immediately. Now I have to go back to being Harvey."

to me, this sounds pretty ridiculous. Did they really expect a 3 1/2 hour offering of B-movies to make a crapload of money on Easter weekend?? To me, if you break up the flicks, that takes away from what MAKES GRINDHOUSE, GRINDHOUSE. And that'd be pure assinine if they were to release it again in US theaters with more footage. I was hoping that Weinstein's were more about films then $$$, but I guess I was wrong. I think the film has some staying power, but we'll see.

UKWildcat
04-10-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't think they expected a crapload of money (if they were only expecting twice the 12 mil, 24 mi according to the article), but 12 million is more than pathetic. It's "disastrous". When you spend 100 million on the film and advertising and only get back about 1/10th of that during the domestic release week, you are doomed for a while unless something phenominal happens overseas (which they are expecting, so we'll have to see). But still, this means that it is most likely going to take a very long time to even breakeven on this film. Could be years before they break even, depending on a lot of factors such as domestic box office, international, dvd sales, etc.

However, I'm against the idea of breaking the films apart and releasing them seperately b/c that was not the intention and (brilliant?!?!?) idea behind Grindhouse. I definitely think it would be "assinine" if they were to rerelease them in the US w/ more footage or whatever, but I can see where they are coming from. Two shorter movies makes them more desireable (less of a "deterrent") and two tickets which means twice as much money. So I can see them wanting to do this in order to make more money, afterall, it is a business. But like I said, I'd still rather them be kept as is.

I do feel bad for Grindhouse. I definitely hope it rebounds and bounces back somehow. I still plan on seeing it in the theater, and it sounds like I should do that soon while they are featured together. If they end up splitting them up, then I'll just wait for dvd. and I'll get the dvd either way.

El Chuxter
04-10-2007, 11:58 AM
I've heard a lot of people say it's too long to sit in the theater, and will be waiting for the DVD. I really want to see this, but moviegoers around here are a really annoying bunch, and I'm not sure I can deal with them for more than three hours.

General_Grievous
04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
If they had released it this Friday or next, I think it would have done much better. The Easter release kind of killed it. Shame. I had a gut feeling it wasn't going to be a blockbuster like 300.

El Chuxter
04-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Sad thing is, despite the interest of a bunch of filmmakers, this pretty much kills any chance of a sequel.

UKWildcat
04-10-2007, 12:10 PM
It probably would have done better had it not been released Easter weekend, but last year Scary Movie 4 brought in 41 million over Easter weekend. Scary Movie 4 was also put out by Weinstein Co. Kinda makes you think.

Rocketboy
04-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Despite the bad news at the box office, I think Grindhouse can more than make its money back (if you include future DVD sales). Boxofficemojo (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=grindhouse.htm) has Grindhouse's budget at $67 million. Pretty cheap for a 3 1/2 movie.

The most disgusting part of all of this is that Ice Cube movie beating it.

El Chuxter
04-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Ice Cube needs to be beaten.

Maybe then he'll remember he's a gangsta.

UKWildcat
04-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Despite the bad news at the box office, I think Grindhouse can more than make its money back (if you include future DVD sales). Boxofficemojo (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=grindhouse.htm) has Grindhouse's budget at $67 million. Pretty cheap for a 3 1/2 movie.

I agree. It'll just take some time. And according to the article posted by JMG, they spent 30+ million on advertising; putting the total cost around 100 million.

I think this movie will do really, really well on dvd.

The most disgusting part of all of this is that Ice Cube movie beating it.

I couldn't agree more.

JON9000
07-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Cannibal Holocaust

Holy smokes. I saw that just to say I did it. I have to hand it to these guys... I thought I had seen the worst of the worst.

scruffziller
07-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanksgiving...........

General_Grievous
07-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Any word on a DVD release for Grindhouse? It's been three months.

2-1B
07-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Holy smokes. I saw that just to say I did it. I have to hand it to these guys... I thought I had seen the worst of the worst.

No kiddin, huh? Not one that I will soon forget. :D

UKWildcat
07-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Any word on a DVD release for Grindhouse? It's been three months.

Its coming out soon, although I believe they are splitting the movies up and releasing them individually. That's what I heard anyways. Here is a bit more info (that I just found): Sounds like Death Proof is coming to dvd on Sept. 18th, by itself. LINK (http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/news/89/20389.php) And that Planet Terror will be released at a later date. I'm sure there will be some sort of set with both movies combined though; there had better be.

El Chuxter
07-09-2007, 12:59 AM
Yeah, like that sweet Kill Bill set that was supposed to come out right after Kill Bill Vol. 2.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-03-2007, 09:03 AM
DVD news from DVD Active:

Genius Products has sent over official package artwork for the Quentin Tarantino directed Death Proof which stars Kurt Russell and Rosario Dawson. The two-disc special edition will be available to own from the 18th September, and should retail at around $29.95. According to our friends at Fangoria, the set will include never-before-seen footage including the “missing reel” (containing Vanessa Ferlito’s unseen lap-dance sequence) as well as a black-and-white segment in the film’s second act. Also included will be a Finding Quentin’s Gals featurette, The Guys of Death Proof featurette, a Kurt Russell as Stuntman Mike featurette, an Introducing Zoe Bell featurette, a Quentin’s Greatest Collaborator: Editor Sally Menke featurette, the trailer for Double Dare, and an International poster gallery. The artwork is attached below.

Available a couple of weeks later on the 16th October will be Robert Rodriguez’s Planet Terror which stars Rose McGowan. This two-disc set will also feature additional footage and a missing reel, along with an audio commentary by writer/director Rodriguez, deleted scenes, a Cooking School featurette, a 10-Minute Film School featurette, and further featurettes on the stunts and makeup and effects. Completing the package will be a Badass Babes featurette, a Renegade Guys featurette, featurettes on the costumes and production design, and the international trailer. Again, retail will be around $29.95.

Alright, a few things:
1. I hope the "missing reel" footage is optional as it was funnier when they cut that stuff out. I'd like to see it, but as a bonus feature, especially for those who have never seen the film before.
2. the fake trailers will NOT be on either one of the DVD sets.
3. TWO DVD RELEASES?!?!?

Alright, this peeves me off to no end. I'm assuming since the BO didn't do well on this flick that they're releasing two movies just to make up some lost $$ and honestly, I won't buy it this way. I want a single release of both flicks together (or at least in a box set) that INCLUDE the fake trailers. Unless these mistakes are cleared up or something, I will NOT be buying these DVD's. :upset:

El Chuxter
08-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Damn, that sucks. I didn't get to see this in theaters, and wanted to. I was at least hoping to see it on DVD as it played in the theater.

UKWildcat
08-03-2007, 10:43 AM
I didn't get to see it in the theater either, but I'm not real bummed about the dvd release. One thing that definitely sucks is the missing trailers, I think they are only including the Machete trailer and that is it. Another thing that kinda stinks is that they are releasing the movies out of order.

But if you think about it, if they were to release the movies with awesome video transfers, multiple audio options and/or commentary tracks, with the original trailers intact then they would probably have to split the movies up anyways b/c it would be very likely that they couldn't fit the data onto one disc; so in a way, it would end up kind of being the same. The versions being released are "Extended and Unrated" so that wouldn't help, of course, it wouldn't be the theatrical cut either. Each dvd release is 2-discs which is nice as well, so a total of 4 dvds (much better than Kill Bill).

And Best Buy is releasing exclusive steelbook editions (and I absolutely love steelbooks) of each film, which looks great. I have included Comic Con pics of the steelbook case.

So I don't know, maybe it's because I didn't see the movies in the theater, but I'm not really bummed about the dvd releases. I'll purchase the two steelbooks and then if they release the movies together in some sort of manner, I'll probably get that as well, that is, if i end up liking the movies b/c Hey, I still haven't seen them yet. :p

Steelbook artwork:

JON9000
08-03-2007, 11:37 AM
$60 for a "Grindhouse"!

This price is absolutely bonkers and if any of you folks buy this I will personally come to your house and stomp your guts out. Why? Because you are rewarding this studio for its greed. Consider this quote from an industry insider who was asked by the artist why the company is obscenely overcharging for his work:

"It's because we know you have a real core audience that will pay whatever it costs when you put something out - you know, true fans. It's the pop stuff we have to discount to get people to buy."

There you have it. I suggest acts of civil disobedience or perhaps acts that nobody else would ever know about, if you know what I mean.

Oh, and for all of you who do pay the $60... there will be a version complete with trailers eventually. I wonder why they don't put it out now? :rolleyes:

General_Grievous
08-03-2007, 11:55 AM
I'll be buying both, but it won't be for $60, that's for damn sure. Target or Wal Mart will probably be selling them for $15 each. So $30 in all for four discs packed with extras isn't bad at all. The retail thing for $29.95 is b.s. They never sell DVDs for the MSRP. The suggested retail for the 300 2 disc DVD was $29.99, and I got it for much less. Actually, the suggested retail price for all DVDs are around $30, but stores sell them for much less.

El Chuxter
08-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Speaking of Kill Bill, whatever happened to the combined release that was supposed to come out about six months after Vol. 2 was released on DVD?

DarthQuack
08-03-2007, 12:58 PM
I think I saw something about the Kill Bill stuff at the digital bits I think.....But I'm with the people that will wait for a full release since I missed Grindhouse in the theaters :(

General_Grievous
08-03-2007, 03:40 PM
The Kill Bill set is coming out this November.

Rocketboy
08-03-2007, 04:06 PM
$60 for a "Grindhouse"!

This price is absolutely bonkers and if any of you folks buy this I will personally come to your house and stomp your guts out.That is just the MSRP. Much like POTC:AWE (single ($29.99) and 2-disc ($34.99) editions).
They will not be that price when they get released.

JetsAndHeels
08-03-2007, 05:11 PM
The only one I would like to have is Planet Terror. I did not like Death Proof much. Quentin dissappointed me. :(

Jayspawn
10-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Alright, now that Death Proof and Planet Terror are BOTH on DVD. I've picked both of them up. Good extras on both and am very happy that both films are extended to full length. No bogus trailers except for Machete which is on the Planet Terror DVD. Anyways, Rodriguez twice mentions another Grindhouse DVD set coming out later -no date on that yet.

As a side note. Apparently Machete will be released seperately as its own movie -which is great! Mostly because Danny Trejo rules. Also NECA will be making an action figure of him and Stunt Man Mike.

bigbarada
11-03-2007, 11:58 AM
I rented these the other day. I've always been a fan of Taratino's films.

Death Proof was easily my favorite of the two. It's got Kurt Russell, a whole bunch of hot women, AND it's a car movie (with Mopars at that)!!! It's perfect!:thumbsup:

Planet Terror was good, especially since it was intended to be a bad zombie movie. The "missing reel" gag right at the sex scene was cute, but I wasn't too crazy about how so much of the actual plot was on that "missing reel." It made the movie feel unsatifying to me from a story perspective.

I didn't check out the bonus discs at all. I just wanted to see if the movies themselves were worth a purchase. Death Proof definitely was, but I might wait until Planet Terror drops in price before I buy it.

JetsAndHeels
11-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Death Proof definitely was, but I might wait until Planet Terror drops in price before I buy it.

Haha, you and I are exact opposites on this one!!

You are bizarro JetsAndHeels. :)

General_Grievous
11-03-2007, 08:43 PM
BB, I think you are the only person on the planet who preferred "Death Proof". Don't get me wrong, I liked it a lot, but not as much as "Planet Terror". But on every message board, all you see is people tearing "Death Proof" apart, which I don't get at all.

bigbarada
11-04-2007, 12:56 AM
:D

I think you really had to grow up on cheesy '70s movies to truly appreciate Death Proof.

Maybe if I hadn't been on a zombie movie binge a few weeks before watching Planet Terror, then I would have enjoyed it more. Plus, I was never really on board for the whole "machine-gun leg" thing.

JetsAndHeels
11-04-2007, 07:37 AM
But on every message board, all you see is people tearing "Death Proof" apart, which I don't get at all.

I know who you are Chris Hansen, and I do have one thing to say:

Death Proof dissappointed me, but I have seen much worse. I love Quentin Tarantino's work, he is one of my favorite directors out there right now.
I saw Grindhouse in the movie theater the day it was released...I think after enjoying the Planet Terror segment, the Death Proof part just seemed a little slower. Not a bad film per se, just something that seemed to be missing that pure Tarantino essense....another thing I didn't quite get was that entire scene where the girls are eating in the diner and they talk around that table for what seems like 10 minutes...I don't know, I guess I just got lost in little things like that.

General_Grievous
11-04-2007, 12:04 PM
True, "Death Proof" did get a little chatty at times, but I thought the final chase more than made up for it. But for the record, I will say that "Death Proof" felt more like a Tarantino film than "Jackie Brown" did.

bigbarada
11-04-2007, 12:13 PM
I watched Death Proof first, then Planet Terror. I wonder if that affected my opinion at all.

One of my favorite aspects of Tarantino's work is those seemingly spontaneous conversations. They just flow so naturally and smoothly that you forget you are watching a movie and it feels like you are actually eavesdropping on a real conversation.

Plus, that whole scene in the diner was an ingenious way to establish how that girl could survive and be okay after being thrown from the car.

DarthQuack
11-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Have yet to see either of these....I'm assuming a nice set will come out with both of them, with all the great features, bogus trailers and what not, so I'll wait til then.