PDA

View Full Version : Sarlacc Anyone?

Qui-Long Gone
02-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Are we ever going to see any toy form of the Sarlacc? Remember the old Parker Brothers Sarlacc game? Or for that matter, a new Jabba throne?

Snowtrooper
02-17-2007, 05:27 PM
This would be so simple to make. All it would need to be is a conical shaped pit with the sides textured to look like sand and the sarlacc molded at the bottom. They should make a place for the skiff to attach to and an opening at the bottom of the pit for figures to fall into and be "eaten". Add tentacles to it like the dianoga had in the trash compactor sets, and you've got a pretty good sarlacc pit. Kids and collectors would buy this in a heartbeat. Unfortunately since hasbro is so anti-playset, we'll probably never see this made.

I have a Saga Jabba sitting on a vintage throne and it looks pretty good. I think they could use the vintage mold,give it an updated paint job, and re-release it. Once again, it is a playset, which hasbro has no intention of making.

DarkArtist
02-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Loved the Battle of the Sarlacc Game. would be all over a toy version for the figures. I really would love to see Hasbro release this.

pbarnard
02-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Kids and collectors would buy this in a heartbeat. Unfortunately since hasbro is so anti-playset, we'll probably never see this made.

I have a Saga Jabba sitting on a vintage throne and it looks pretty good. I think they could use the vintage mold,give it an updated paint job, and re-release it. Once again, it is a playset, which hasbro has no intention of making.

Hasbro isn't anti-playset, the retailers are.

2-1B
02-18-2007, 06:08 PM
It should come with an escape hatch for Boba Fett to crawl out of.

Bosskman
02-18-2007, 06:37 PM
After getting the Sideshow Jabba, I've come to the conclusion that a shrunken down version of THAT Jabba with throne must be made by Hasbro. Enough is enough, stop giving us band-aid solutions to ROTJ Jabba. I WANT MY HUTT!!!

Bosskman
02-18-2007, 06:38 PM
A sarlac as described above is also a must.

JediTricks
02-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Hasbro isn't anti-playset, the retailers are.
The retailers are anti-playset because kids don't buy them, kids don't buy them because the toy makers make crappy playsets now.

I think the beauty of the Sarlacc is that any kid with a lawn or a sandbox can make their own play environment out of it. Never the less, if there was a large platform, the eating pre-SE sarlacc in the middle, and movable tentacles, I could see that being cool, but I don't feel it's NECESSARY.

TheCivilCollector
02-18-2007, 11:28 PM
I think the beauty of the Sarlacc is that any kid with a lawn or a sandbox can make their own play environment out of it. Never the less, if there was a large platform, the eating pre-SE sarlacc in the middle, and movable tentacles, I could see that being cool, but I don't feel it's NECESSARY.

Couldn't agree more, JT. About anyone could make a much cooler version than anything you could buy in about an afternoon.

Qui-Long Gone
02-20-2007, 09:31 PM
The retailers are anti-playset because kids don't buy them, kids don't buy them because the toy makers make crappy playsets now.

What is necessary? Having a Sarlacc playset or having a pre-SE Sarlacc....because this first is necessary, well at least as necessary as anything else we collect, but the second isn't....

Why are playsets so crappy now? When I was a kid the playsets were nearly as good as the figures!

We need a Sarlacc, Jabba's Palace, Death Star WITH TRASH COMPACTOR, and some Hoth accessories to take out in the snow.....as well as a Dagobah, Ewok villiage, carbon freezing chamber and a full cantina...

2-1B
02-20-2007, 09:36 PM
also a Gungan Sacred Place playset with Ancient Ruins.

Qui-Long Gone
02-20-2007, 09:58 PM
No the NT had their chance with the AOTC arena.....although maybe the sacred place could double as Dagobah???? hmmmmmm

2-1B
02-20-2007, 10:15 PM
sure, because afterall...Naboo did turn into Dagobah. lol

CaptainSolo1138
02-20-2007, 11:13 PM
It should come with an escape hatch for Boba Fett to crawl out of.And an exclusive "Man-love" Dengar to tenderly nurse him back to health.

JediTricks
02-21-2007, 06:12 AM
I don't believe any Great Pit of Carkoon playset is necessary, for the reasons I previously gave.

I think the problem with playsets is that manufacturers stopped looking at them as incentives for consumers to buy more figures to go with them and tried to squeeze all the profits out of the playset alone - same problem with vehicles. Once they tried to get profits out of playsets, the value-for-dollar dropped considerably and as the companies chased the cheaper bucks so did they lessen the quality of the playsets to match.

Qui-Long Gone
02-21-2007, 07:31 PM
I don't believe any Great Pit of Carkoon playset is necessary, for the reasons I previously gave.

szzzzhhhhhhh....it is necessary...don't poop in my cheerios damnit!

Mad Slanted Powers
02-22-2007, 02:07 AM
Just fill the sink with sand and turn on the garbage disposal. Instant Sarlacc Pit!

CaptainSolo1138
02-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Just fill the sink with sand and turn on the garbage disposal. Instant Sarlacc Pit!
Until Uncle George slaps a lawsuit on you for not having the proper licensing.:whip:

Jargo
02-22-2007, 01:49 PM
the trouble with the sarlaac is the size. the pit is roughly as wide as the length of the desert skiff. it's about as deep maybe a little shorter. you'd need a fair amount of textured area around the pit in order to have something for the skiffs to rest on poke up through and aso provide some stability. that means something that essentially sits in a box. a box with an inverted cone in the top that houses the sarlaac then you'd be looking at bendy tentacles and an opening mouth so the parts mount up and so does the cost. to sell it you'd need figures to provide a context. so that's lando and Boba Fett and maybe a skiff guard.

to me it seems like something that work really well at a smaller scale. like in the mini unleashed line. but as a playset for four inch figures it's too expensive to produce and have it look good, perform some action features effectively and not look like a horror movie demon rectum. if Yarna is a hard sell then the sarlaac is an impossible sell.

in a thread in the dear hasbro section i drew up some rough sketches for rudimentary possibilities on how this could work but I gave up because it's simpler to just make one for yourself with a piece of MDF board some super sculpey and a load of wire mesh and paper mache. The only way i can see that hasbro could do the sarlaac is to make it as a beast and then you can 'plant it' in your sandpit. y'know Teryl Whitlatch did some cool drawings of the sarlaac and then the guys at ILM built that cross section model.
if hasbro were to take the mouth and tentacles and teeth part and give it a smaller lower body that would work. you could put a sarlaac anywhere you wanted then.

so i propose a beast rather than a playset on this one.

DarkArtist
02-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Until Uncle George slaps a lawsuit on you for not having the proper licensing.:whip:

Yeah right. as if Uncle George doesn't have enough money. I wonder what the lawsuit would be like. I can see the headlines now:

"Billionaire Moviemaker George Lucas to sue 10 year old over copyright infringment."

abell748
02-23-2007, 07:04 AM
They just need to do a playset of some sort badly! My kids have stuck Mustafar next to their Ninja Turtle's Base just so that they could have a bigger playset area for their Star Wars figures. Does Hasbro not see that there are quite a few households like mine that are down for 2 or 3 of a playset (1 for them, 1 boxed, and 1 to open if I like it alot)? I know we are good for 3 V-Wings and 3 Infiltrators. Because Hasbro lacks playsets, they have to use a playset from another company and took away from what we would have spent with Hasbro. Super business model!!!

Kidhuman
02-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Cant have a Sarlaac with out a sail barge.

TheCivilCollector
02-23-2007, 07:31 AM
Cant have a Sarlaac with out a sail barge.

Oh, jeezus. Not the sailbarge discussion again.... ;-)