PDA

View Full Version : I hate onions! Who's with me?

Droid
02-17-2007, 03:11 PM
I hate onions. I don't mind the flavor so much; I like sour cream and onion chips. But the consistency and texture of onions disgust me. I feel like I'm eating tape worms.

And people always try to tell me, "They're small. You can't even taste them." OK, fine. If you can't taste them then why do you insist on putting them in my food?

I am forming a club. I think I'll call it "NOnions" Who is with me?

jjreason
02-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I must say, I could do entirely without onions myself. I do like certain oniony things - that same flavor of chips for example, or onion rings from certain restaurants - but raw ones give me horrible heartburn. NOnions it is.

DarthBrandon
02-17-2007, 03:33 PM
I love onions,garlic, hot peppers etc. I eat them raw all the time. So I guess I'm not with you.

jjreason
02-17-2007, 04:03 PM
But I bet you're with TicTacs!!!! :D

Val Da Car
02-17-2007, 04:40 PM
If they were made properly you wouldn't notice them.

If they are tape wormy they are overcooked.

That should have a snap or should be small enough not to notice.

But wormy/slimy and gummy they are just prepared wrong.

My wife used to hate onions as a kid but they were liquidfied in the blender and no one noticed them anymore.

QLD
02-17-2007, 08:47 PM
I used to dislike them, but now I like them a lot. But peppers, those I can't stand.

figrin bran
02-17-2007, 08:52 PM
if they're grilled, i'm fine with them. otherwise blech! especially diced onions

Val Da Car
02-17-2007, 09:36 PM
I used to dislike them, but now I like them a lot. But peppers, those I can't stand.

Green Peppers are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to peppers.

Yellow / Orange / Red are are awesome....

Raw or cooked...

Qui-Long Gone
02-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Try a blooming onion :thumbsup: ...somehow everything is better battered and fried....just look at Whitney Houston.....:lipsrsealed:

Kidhuman
02-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Onions rule, I love em.

Tycho
02-17-2007, 11:45 PM
I will see if I can reach a conclusion on the important issue of Onion Useage.

I don't know where my study is going to lead me, so this is a completely objective analysis.

I usually ask that my hamburgers at fast food places be made WITHOUT onions. They can cause bad breath at the least, and heartburn issues at worst.

I do like the tiny onion flakes put on White Castle micro-burgers, however those are usually very rarely consumed by me as they are sort of disgusting, and I think the onions on them is part of it.

Tiny diced onion flakes added to pizza encourages flavor, especially in a veggie pizza.

If I am tempted by onion rings, I prefer the kind that are crisp and crack when bitten into. I agree with droid, that the slimy, soft ones can sort of seem like you're swallowing never-ending worms - though I have never swallowed never-ending worms. On Star Trek, Klingons eat live gagh (never-ending worms that move in their bowl - would remind you of chow mein, living and bloody) - but I would not make a very good Klingon - the food menu being one of the reasons).

So I think overall I can conclude that I can both live without onions, and also with not becoming a Klingon.

Thank you, Droid. This has been very interesting.

mabudonicus
02-18-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm on the "anti" side to nOonions, man, cos onions RULE

Things about 'em is, being a non-carnivorous type person, I eat lots of legumes, and when added in the right quantities and at the right time (in other words when "done right" like val da car said) they can really enhance the digestion of certain foods, and also free up more things from said foods than your stomach would be able to get on its own, so they're actually useful whether or not you likes the taste of them

And onion rings, when done RIGHT (like proper English fish and chips, really "chunky" batter but also fried real good and drained nice, served as soon as they're cooked) are one of the finest foods on this whole planet... and there's always onion tempura- NOBODY here can say that stuff is no good (I would hope, DAMN onion tempura is almost better than proper rings) :beard: Isobaws&

2-1B
02-18-2007, 09:51 AM
I like them but only raw....preferably diced but I can eat them in cut up strings on subs, too. Well, I guess I shouldn't say I only like them raw, just as long as they aren't deep fried.

UKWildcat
02-18-2007, 12:34 PM
I am basically the complete opposite of Caesar. If they are raw, its a no-go. If they are cooked, fried mainly, bring it on!

Slicker
02-18-2007, 02:05 PM
And people always try to tell me, "They're small. You can't even taste them." OK, fine. If you can't taste them then why do you insist on putting them in my food?
I always heard that same thing!

They say you can't even taste 'em, but when you ask why they're in there they tell you for flavor! WTF?!

JimJamBonds
02-18-2007, 07:45 PM
For the most part I don't like onions however if I'm in the mood I can tolorate them on pizza or mixed in with other foods.

JediTricks
02-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Onions are the best, and they come in several varieties, including the non-bitter ones that have no sulfur for the wusses. A burger generally isn't complete unless it has white onions, stews gotta have brown onions, red onions go great on salads, onion rings are hard to fail on (especially Burger King's rings, best fast-food rings out there), and nearly everything italian from pizza to lasagna needs onions and bell peppers (not to mention spanish and mexican cuisine). I will admit that too much onions can be a turn-around, but in general the onion's where the character's at.

I do like the tiny onion flakes put on White Castle micro-burgers, however those are usually very rarely consumed by me as they are sort of disgusting, and I think the onions on them is part of it.White Castle uses dehydrated onions on their sliders, they actually cook the burgers and buns over the onions which rehydrates the onions while simultaneously steaming the burger and bun (which is why the burgers have holes in them, to let the steam pass through).

El Chuxter
02-18-2007, 09:53 PM
I assume this hatred does not extend to authentic Vidalia onions, which are sweet and can be eaten raw, as if they were candy.

2-1B
02-18-2007, 09:57 PM
(especially Burger King's rings, best fast-food rings out there)

I don't eat fried foods anymore but when I used to eat those BK rings, they wreaked awful havoc on my digestive system. :dead:

JetsAndHeels
02-18-2007, 10:04 PM
I am basically the complete opposite of Caesar. If they are raw, its a no-go. If they are cooked, fried mainly, bring it on!

I second that.

Living here in the south, if it ain't good fried it ain't good at all!! :)

JediTricks
02-18-2007, 11:02 PM
I don't eat fried foods anymore but when I used to eat those BK rings, they wreaked awful havoc on my digestive system. :dead:
I never had a problem, they're pretty uneventful in that department for me, but I'm not as susceptible to such things as most.

Qui-Long Gone
02-20-2007, 10:06 PM
I second that.

Living here in the south, if it ain't good fried it ain't good at all!! :)

well put.....