PDA

View Full Version : Is your boss an idiot?

stillakid
02-18-2007, 01:19 PM
This is kind of a poll question. In my particular line of work, I don't work for just one person all of the time. In one week, I might work for five different companies and/or (in my case) Producers. I can safely say that approximately 90% of them are grossly unqualified for their position.

So, I was just curious if this lack of experience/skill is just typical of my industry or if this pattern exists across other careers. Is your boss an idiot? Could you do his job better than he/she is doing it? Or, if you are a boss, would you admit it if you knew that you didn't belong in that position? Are you the idiot?

Thanks!

JediTricks
02-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Is your boss an idiot?Yes.
Could you do his job better than he/she is doing it?No, because I'm self-employed. :p

JetsAndHeels
02-18-2007, 08:38 PM
My former boss definately was an idiot. Not just with common sense matters, but also when it came to dealing with people and his employees properly. Had zero personality, zero drive, zero enthusiasm.
I know I could do the job better, because I can talk to and relate with people in general more than he could. Not trying to knock the guy, but those are the facts. Some people get along with others, some don't.

Now that I have recently changed jobs, I can say my new boss is very intelligent. No complaints so far.

Rocketboy
02-18-2007, 08:41 PM
My boss is an idiot and I have done her job better than she does (her boss even told me I did).

El Chuxter
02-18-2007, 08:50 PM
I recently quit, due in some part to my being pretty grossly underpaid. Funny thing is, they'll never find anyone to do what I was doing for what they were paying. So my boss essentially begged me to do some of the stuff on a freelance basis, and I negotiated a rate that was a good deal higher than my old hourly wage.

I get less hours, but a lot closer to what my talents are worth. And they think they're getting a hella good deal. (I suppose I'm still asking for less than most freelancers, but they could've paid me better and had me there all the time.)

bobafrett
02-18-2007, 09:40 PM
My former boss was a total idiot, so much that he was demoted to an assitant manager, from his manager position. He was transferred to another store, and while there, he was in the cash office when they had a power outage, and when the power was restored, money was missing. He was fired because of that. I also heard that after he was fired, he would show up at the store, and would see people wanting to buy a television, he would flash his managers badge, have them give him the money for the product, and he would disappear.

Luckily we now have a guy who seems to be very employee friendly, talks to us everyday how the business is doing, very numbers oriented, and we are getting a really nice bonus come the end of the month.

JimJamBonds
02-19-2007, 12:36 AM
My current boss passed me over twice for promotion when she worked at facility across town, in each case it didn't really work out for the people she picked. The first time a mid range supervisor (like what I am now) told her she should have picked me. The second time a peer of hers told her she should have taken me and she wouldn't have been in that problem (the person picked over me ended up getting fired). As if two times weren't enough its going to happen a third time, there will be an open position and somebody with less then one year with my company will be getting it despite the fact that I can do the job and have filled in numerous times (last year I covered about 10 weeks).

I recently applied for a new job and I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I'd say it looks pretty good that I'll get it. It will be better hours and a nice bump in pay... I'll have to ask my current boss what can brown do for me now ;) when I give her my two week notice.

bigbarada
02-19-2007, 01:33 AM
Is your boss an idiot? Could you do his job better than he/she is doing it?

Well, I have two primary bosses: one is Matt Hughes, the most dominant fighter in MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) history and one of the strongest pound-for-pound fighters in the world; the other is Tim Sylvia, the current UFC Heavyweight Champion of the world.

So, there's pretty much no way I could do their job better than them. They're definitely not idiots either, since you have to be pretty intelligent to succeed in this sport and maintain a clean public image.

What I do for them is I run their official websites: www.matt-hughes.com and www.tim-sylvia.com

It's a pretty laid back job for the most part, except when they have a fight coming up, then it gets pretty hectic.

Matt's site does pretty well for the most part, we get roughly 7,000-10,000 hits a day and that usually jumps to somewhere between 30,000 and 65,000 hits per day in the days leading up to and immediately after a fight. Tim hasn't been on TV as much, so his popularity isn't on the same level, so his site only gets about 1000-1200 hits per day.

CaptainSolo1138
02-19-2007, 06:41 AM
My boss always has me updating stuff for her. I do it until I see her playing Spider solitaire, then I quit. If she has time for idle nonsense, I'm not busting balls to do her stuff. Further, is anyone familiar with Visio? Should it take a normal human two months to learn?

JimJamBonds
02-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Further, is anyone familiar with Visio? Should it take a normal human two months to learn?

Nope, what is it?

CaptainSolo1138
02-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Nope, what is it?
I'm not entirely sure, as I tend to tune out her constant rambling. From what I gather, its little more than an application that allows you to make spreadsheets, flowcharts, etc. Certainly not rocket surgery.

Rogue II
02-19-2007, 01:11 PM
I recently quit, due in some part to my being pretty grossly underpaid. Funny thing is, they'll never find anyone to do what I was doing for what they were paying. So my boss essentially begged me to do some of the stuff on a freelance basis, and I negotiated a rate that was a good deal higher than my old hourly wage.

I get less hours, but a lot closer to what my talents are worth. And they think they're getting a hella good deal. (I suppose I'm still asking for less than most freelancers, but they could've paid me better and had me there all the time.)

But as a freelancer, doesn't the cigar smoking editor of the newspaper demand that you get proof that Spiderman is really a villian?

I have a few bosses, none of them are idiots, but since they are all engineers, some of them lack people skills. There is no way I could do their jobs...legally, but I do help them with their design work. The guy that hired me with this company was a biologist, but he quit last summer. I'm supposed to go to lunch with him today. He called me last week and wanted to go to lunch and talk about job opportunities with his new company. I really hope this ends up being a bidding war for my services.

mtriv73
02-19-2007, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't call anyone I've worked for an idiot, but I had a former boss who was horrible at managing people. My current boss is fantastic. He gives me a goal or some goals and then gives me the lattitude to design my own experments and get it done. He's always there if I'm having problems, but he's not looking over my shoulder every five minutes.

El Chuxter
02-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Visio is a joke. I was required to learn it for my last job because one of the outside sources once used it. I fiddled for about two hours, saw that it was typical Microsoft ****, and, since the bosses were only concerned with the end product PDF, just did the damn stuff in Illustrator.

Same thing with Flash Professional. I would love to learn it, but it's a massive undertaking. They wanted a simple (but pretty large) SWF animation within a week, and that was with my regular workload. So I did it in PhotoShop and ImageReady, since they export SWF.

They were never any the wiser.

JEDIpartner
02-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Mine isn't an idiot. She's actually really nice. I don't know if she just isn't aware or if she chooses to turn a blind eye to it, but there are several members of the staff that can't ever be bothered with doing ANY work. I've gotten some new weekly tasks to do because one person can't get to all her calls. Well, that's 'cos she spends her whole day talking to her friends and her sisters or on MySpace, eBay, Amazon.com, Yahoo Mail or other time wasters.

JON9000
02-19-2007, 03:19 PM
My boss went to Harvard, so that pretty much acquits him of the "i" label.

I wish I were a movie producer... running around cheerleading all day.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-19-2007, 05:01 PM
I'll be the voice of different opinion in this thread so far. I'm a teacher, so I also have several "bosses," depending on the situation. But my department chairperson is an awesome and amazing person, and since she's retiring this year, many in the dept are concerned over who will be able to replace her (ability-wise, as well as persona-wise). My principal is a good leader, listener, and adapter, so I'm in a good place. Ironic.

Slicker
02-19-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm in the military so I'll leave the decision up to the reader as to what you think of my BIG boss...

Right now I don't really have a "boss" though. I'm in a training command and no one really tells you what to do (especially since I have over 3 years in and most of the kids there have only been in for several months) and I just skate around. It also helps that I know and used to work with several of the people there that are overall supervisors so I don't get called on to do carpy jobs. Gotta love a hook-up.:thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-19-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm in the military... and I just skate around. :thumbsup:Is that in-line? On a board? Figure? :p

2-1B
02-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Only school skates with the quad rollers and big thick shoelaces.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Well, that's 'cos she spends her whole day talking to her friends and her sisters or on MySpace, eBay, Amazon.com, Yahoo Mail or other time wasters.Aren't there any policies on internet useage? If I was doing that or playing solitaire, I'd probably get one warning and then fired the next time.

I work in a pretty structured office. The owner/president is a pretty savvy businessman, and our company has been growing every year of the eight years I've been here. My boss is the CFO, and our accounting department runs pretty well. Most of the managers have been there a long time, and there are plenty of people that have been around at least five years, and many that have been around longer than I have. That being said, there is a fair amount of turnover in some positions. Some people just don't work well in this sort of environment. It is certainly not for someone who is needing to take time off every time their kid is sick, as there isn't a lot of flexibility in scheduling. Sometimes one can stay late one day to make up for leaving early another day, which is what I do when I go to the dentist.

scruffziller
09-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I have had many bosses who were idiots. Just read my thread here and you will know.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=21399

I had a boss who had stepped down to a stocker and became an idiot after that. It's like the responsibility kept him in line.:D

Jargo
09-14-2008, 03:17 PM
don't have one. I don't work. I'm a lady of leisure.

jjreason
09-14-2008, 04:06 PM
My boss is not an idiot by any stretch, and I certainly would NOT want the added responsibility of his position. Having acted in his role for one week at a time here and there, I've realized I'm happiest near the bottom rung of the ladder. lol

TeeEye7
09-14-2008, 06:15 PM
...I've realized I'm happiest near the bottom rung of the ladder. lol

No wonder we get along so well! ;)

InsaneJediGirl
09-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Out of six managers at the store I work for....Not one is management material in my opinion, basically people who were just with the company long enough and basically had to be promoted.

Idiots?I dont know....Could a monkey run the store better?Yes.

figrin bran
09-17-2008, 12:08 AM
My boss looks a lot like a certain hockey mom VP candidate who can "see Russia from her home".

Darth Jax
09-17-2008, 07:37 AM
My company is employee owned, so some of the owners are idiots. But my boss and the CEO are both very good.

pbarnard
09-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Idiots?I dont know....Could a monkey run the store better?Yes.

Yes, flying feces and peanuts and berries. But they're saving their rasins for Sunday.

My boss looks a lot like a certain hockey mom VP candidate who can "see Russia from her home".
Who according to the former head of HP, couldn't run HP while she herself ran HP into the ground while taping everyone's conversations...

My current boss, not an idiot. Of course, the beauty of lab work is that I don't have to interact with her more than 1-2 times a week just due to the nature and length of research and analysis involved. Although the undergraduate students that I have to "supervise" probably have a very different opinion on me.

JEDIpartner
09-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Aren't there any policies on internet useage? If I was doing that or playing solitaire, I'd probably get one warning and then fired the next time.

There are supposed to be, but there's not. I mean, yeah, I get on the internet during the day but that's my equivalent of a smoke break. These hos are just on the 'net ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!

Qui-Long Gone
09-19-2008, 03:02 PM
My boss is actually smarter than their boss....which is unusual....unusual that my boss is not an idiot, and unusual that they're smarter than their boss.

Universities are weird that way....