PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on best way to sell collection

QLD
02-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Well, after years of buying the 3" figures, I've pretty much reached my wits end with it. My hats are off to those who can keep up with it. I guess what finally got me is the multiple release of the same figures over and over.

Anyway, I'm not getting out of SW completely. In fact, recently, I decided to start collecting more "premium" items like the Gentle Giant statues. Really, compared to what I was spending yearly on figures, I believe I will actually come out cheaper. And of course, I'll be keeping all my Lando items.

Anyway, I have just about every 3" figure from 1995 through Revenge of the Sith, and a good deal of vehicles. All of them are loose, but mint, and mostly complete (though the items are probably scattered in my giant pile of accessories.)

Just inventorying all of this stuff will take me at least a week I imagine. But I am curious what you guys think the best approach is to selling them. I'll most likely be doing it on ebay, or in forum classifieds. Should I sell them indivisually, or in groups, or on one giant lot? What do you think will maximize their value? Or is it even worth bothering with?

CaptainSolo1138
02-18-2007, 05:45 PM
I've all but gotten out of actual "collecting" too, QLD, so I feel you on the frustration part.

As for selling your wares, I haven't sold en masse, but from what others here have said (Slick, KH and JT for example) selling in lots is the way to go. They've suggested selling by theme, character and movie. Another approach is to pick out a "rare" one and put in in a lot with some common "junk" that wouldn't fetch much on it's own.

Or you could just PM me a list and let me pick and choose a couple things I want for a fair price.:)

2-1B
02-18-2007, 05:58 PM
I got rid of most of my loose and carded stuff, I felt around to see if anybody wanted stuff here and found a few homes, then I lot'ed em all up and let it ride....I pretty much segregated them by movie (as in, movie they first appeared in, not the card they came out of). That way, I had some TPM-era figs mixed in with POTJ TPM stuff as well as those Saga figs, you know ? Plus with some carded stuff, I would throw an army builder or two into a lot with some other ones. I would have different themes where I tied stuff together of similar interest while not ending up with some dead lots that wouldn't move.

I kept all of my really sentimental favorites as well as the stuff I got as Gifts over the years, but 75% or so of the crap I bought for myself over the years went out the door. Overall, I took a loss but hey I figured I had fun with that stuff over the years so I had some value there and then beyond that, since I lost interest for the most part, why keep a bunch of stuff packed up that I'm not enjoying? So I took $everal grand back this summer and I'm so happy about it. :)

Now for the most part I just look....I always look at the figure aisle because I like to see what is out and what's going on in the hobby but enough is enough, I had to get out. Once in awhile I buy an oddball piece at a convention in the summertime, but not much at all.

It just got to be much too much.

Kidhuman
02-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Sell it all to me for 10 bucks, easy, done, you pay shipping. Or offer it up as a prize in the Fantasy baseball league.

Seriously, What Cappy said. I know I wouldnt be to hard pressed ot get some of it, cherry pickin style thouhg as we all missed some here and there.

JimJamBonds
02-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Garage sale and put your figures in a gallon bucket that reads:

25 cents each or 5 for a $1.

JediTricks
02-18-2007, 10:38 PM
I've all but gotten out of actual "collecting" too, QLD, so I feel you on the frustration part.

As for selling your wares, I haven't sold en masse, but from what others here have said (Slick, KH and JT for example) selling in lots is the way to go. They've suggested selling by theme, character and movie. Another approach is to pick out a "rare" one and put in in a lot with some common "junk" that wouldn't fetch much on it's own.

Or you could just PM me a list and let me pick and choose a couple things I want for a fair price.:)Actually, my advice has always been to stay away from selling in lots, lots generally lower the value of your best items considerably even though you're getting one big payday.

The best thing to do is to research what sells for what and how it's changed in finished auctions over the past month, watch for times and days where it does better and worse. Check to see if the loose version sells for more than the carded one (it does happen occasionally). Take as few pictures as necessary and say as little as possible in the auction description. Make sure to get the auction title right. Don't be afraid to start a hot item at a low price since it'll go up anyway or you can just pull it (but don't do reserve auctions, bidders stay away). Don't be afraid to sell items for LESS than you paid for them, it's still cheaper than storing them and by moving them it'll help you move your hotter items.

If you must do lots, keep them fairly small lots and batch them by themes.

bobafrett
02-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Sell them as "Ultra rare" at a minumum bid of $25.00 per figure!

Sorry I can't be of more help, I still can't get myself to part with my collection.

El Chuxter
02-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Make sure you say any Unleashed Padmes are the rare, discontinued "perky" variant.

QLD
02-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Pretty much what I thought, but some good advice I will definitely use.

lol @ the perky variant.

The hardest part is going to be finding all of the accessories for the characters. I have a huge box of accessories that I don't have displayed with their figures.

bigbarada
02-19-2007, 11:00 AM
The only real decent advice I have is that you shouldn't sell your collection when you really just need the money. Because in that situation you are much more likely to settle for a small fraction of what everything is worth.

QLD
02-19-2007, 01:41 PM
That is good advice also. It's not money that's the driving force, though the money WOULD be nice. Honestly, I just wish to "transform" my collection from toys to statues, busts, and other items. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I didn't like the prequels very much at all, and that kind of retroactively hurt my enjoyment of the Star Wars universe as well. As a result, I don't get nearly the enjoyment out of the figures that I used to.

JON9000
02-19-2007, 03:42 PM
I've sold most of my modern stuff over the past year, and having watched my own as well as other auctions, I have learned the following:

1. Selling seperately always makes you more money than selling in lots, flat out. Selling in lots is considerably more convenient, but I am convinced people weigh total price more highly than price per figure (unless they are rich).

2. The optimal price for loose figure shipping is $3 for 1, $1 for each additional figure. While some people hate inflated shipping, this price is fair enough that you won't get flak for it, people won't get turned off, and you can somewhat reduce your ebay fees.

3. start every auction at 99 cents. The market will determine the value of your item either way, and auctions with no bids cost you money. Believe me, the money you save doing this over the long run will make up for the occassional dud.

4. Avoid selling the bulk now, take all your pictures and come up with all of your listing info now. Then sell you items starting in late October- prices are easily 20% higher. (or wait for the show to come out- free publicity puts your auction in front of a lot more viewers.)

5. If you do not currently have a good feedback rating (at least 99% and 100 individual comments) start selling the cheap stuff now so you can build it up for when it's time to sell the big stuff.

QLD
02-19-2007, 05:53 PM
That's really good advice Jon. The idea of taking all those packages to the post office at once is mind boggling! ;)

Honestly, it might take me until October to catalog and take pictures of every item. But I hadn't thought of the higher prices closer to the holidays.

Fortunately, my feedback is 345, with 100%, so I am good there.

2-1B
02-19-2007, 06:03 PM
That's a good point, the shipping thing...it almost got overwhelming for me last summer because I had so many auctions ending. lol Thankfully I had many good bidders who wanted multiple items so I got to bulk pack things but some days I was heading to the PO with 5 or 6 packages. I shipped very quickly though, it either went out the day of payment or the next day depending on how quickly it came in. I took pride in my lightning fast shipment.

I had fun with it all actually....I made it into a little hobby of sorts. I wasn't looking to make any profit, of course, just get back a portion of what I paid. So as Jon recommends, I also started everything at 99 cents. A few things sold for 99 cents that I probably paid 4 or 5 dollars for but I didn't care, usually those super discount items were bought by other buyers who grabbed some other stuff of mine and added those cheap items on top. They deserved to get some added swag at bargain basement prices. :)

I also had a few auctions that didn't sell at all, so I gave those pieces away for free to multiple auction winners. In once case I had a loose Slave I vehicle that I forgot to chronicle and list at auction, so since it was the only leftover from that theme round, I just threw it in unannounced for free to this one person who was buying loose ships for her kid. She seemed to appreciate the bonus and I was happy to give it away. :)

Anyway QLD, the shipping itself can be a chore but I got all the free packing boxes I needed from work so that was VERY helpful.

JediTricks
02-19-2007, 06:08 PM
If you do a lot of sales, you could have the post office pick up the packages at your place. You'd need some sort of prepaid postage though, perhaps a meter.

QLD
02-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Yeah, for the post office pickup, I would need to get a postage sale, and print out the postage online. Though with that many packages, it would be a sound investment.

UKWildcat
02-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Here is my little story:

I ended up selling around 65 carded figures from my collection a few weeks before Christmas (which seemed to be a good time). They were mainly doubles I had collected over the years and others that I no longer wanted (POTF2, SAGA, ROTS, etc). There was nothing rare or spectacular either, just basic figs. I took the easy way out and just listed them all in one big lot, starting bid .99 w/ no reserve. I knew the risk of doing this, but I figured I'd chance it anyways. For the description I listed the figures that were included and the condition of their packaging. I took many pictures of the figures so the bidders knew exactly what they were getting, and to help reinforce the overall condition of the items.

I ended up shipping them in two huge boxes, both of which were double boxed and extremely well packed. Just make sure you package your stuff well so it arrives to the person undamaged. I am actually able to ship stuff from my job which is really convenient, and cheap too. We ship UPS and it's like 1/2 the cost of taking to a UPS store or USPS or Fed Ex for that matter. It works out really well.

Anyways, when all was said and done I wanted to get about $3.50-$4 per figure, after Paypal and eBay fees, and shipping. I ended up getting around $4.40 a piece. I was thrilled! So I didn't lose that much money (considering I spent $5 on avg for each one).

What was even better was that the lady who won the figures got them for Christmas presents for her kid. I could only imagine the look on his face when he woke up to 60+ figures Christmas morning. I bet he loved it. I was extremely glad to see them go to a good home where someone would really enjoy them, much more than I.

CaptainSolo1138
02-21-2007, 01:15 PM
That's a great story, UK.

JON9000
02-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Honestly, it might take me until October to catalog and take pictures of every item. But I hadn't thought of the higher prices closer to the holidays.

Whatever you do, avoid the post office in the final two weeks before Christmas. It's a flipping madhouse. Late October through the week after Thanksgiving is the time to have it done. A postage meter is a good idea... perhaps you can get one on the cheap from ebay, or rent one somewhere.

Do not fall into the standard shipping boxes from the post office. Yeah, the boxes are free and come in all different sizes, but you have to ship priority and on many items it easily doubles the cost, which can really add up.

If you still have the heavy cardboard boxes for your big vehicles, you can get heavy-duty wrapping paper, wrap 'em up and send them. Selling used vehicles if you still have the box is great around Christmas. I got $150 for a POTF2 Falcon- I listed it as completely assembled with stickers applied by a collector. A lot of parents don't want to mess with that sort of thing; so, if you just reseal the box, they love it.